BC's Best... Cottages?

Personal homes and private lots.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: BC's Best... Cottages?

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"It was working. Mostly." Mary points out. "Let me, uh, take another look," Sekhmet peers curiously at her new double to see how the threads of magic have changed after her attempt. But not just that. "Khannie, could you come here and try touching her?" Sekhmet wants to watch what happens to the magic when Not-Sekhmet transforms.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Brignole Manor]

There's a moment-
-a moment!-
-of excitement.

It's working!

Until it doesn't.

Khannie lets out the breath she was holding with a huff. "Maybe it got un-stuck?" Khannie suggests, nodding to Sekhmet before coming over to Not-Sekhmet and putting a hand on her shoulder. "This thing's just really tricky, we'll get it puzzled out."

Definitely.

No questions asked.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor]

Sekhnie nods and allows the experiment to take place, though her expression is rather wary. She's losing confidence by the second that this is going to work.

Sekhmet will be able to see the succubus bits flare up, as one might expect when shapeshifting is occurring, but the actual function beyond that is quickly lost in the metaphorical equivalent of tightened gears, spinning mainsprings, ringing pistons and rhythmically-pumping bells.

Maybe she can glean some sort of pattern, but it's certainly not anything obvious.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
That all looks very complicated. And Sekhmet doesn't have a ton of practical experience.
But she was literally born to wield the forces of magic. She has an innate power and talent exceeding what the greatest mortal archmages could achieve in a lifetime. Where technical knowledge fails, intuition will likely carry her through.
Follow the currents of magic and observe their effects as they alter the body and the mind (of course they alter the mind otherwise the massive changes to body shape would be highly disorienting). Why would shapeshifting while in contact lock the current form? Interference maybe? Knowing what she knows, she could probably re-lock the form, but then she would have to... Gross. Well, everyone's staring at her, expecting something, so hopefully she can find something to say.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Brignole Manor]

Okay so what's what?

Sekhmet looks like she's really concentrating to try to get this to work. Mystery Girl is looking really pensive like she's just WAITING for this to NOT work.

Honestly Khannie hates situations like these.

Where she's got friends counting on her but she can't actually DO anything herself. Where she's helpess to help.

Where all she can do is-
"We'll figure it out."
-make empty promises.

"I promise."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor]

Sekhmet's intuition, while formidable, in this case only serves to confirm the obvious; whatever is going on here, it's not something she can "fix" in any meaningful sense. Even if she put everything back the way it was before Khanmet got stabbed, which would mostly involve taking out the succubus parts, the end result would be something similar to if she decided to surgically remove all her lymph nodes; technically possible, but likely not conducive to her health and potentially very pointless.

Sekhnie, meanwhile, just gives Khannie a weak smile. A small attempt at reassuring her that her reassurance was reassuring, but both are clearly coming up short.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
Sekhmet sighs again. Why can these things never be simple? "Your situation is like a house of cards. I could remove the magic causing this, but it would possibly cause everything else to collapse." She considers her options. Leaving things as they are is relatively safe but leaves Sekhnie in an unstable situation. There's no telling how things will develop over time. She could add more magic to the mix. It would stabilize Sekhnie's condition at the cost of divorcing her even further from the person she once was. But it would be relatively safe in terms of ways to stabilize things. Her own essence is much less corruptive than what's already present in Khanmet, and she can use her dominion over demons to shape it as needed. No matter what she does she's not doing it without Sekhnie's informed consent.
"I don't know what else could cause you to collapse," Sekhmet begins hesitantly, "But as far as I can tell your current state is relatively stable. Somehow. You really don't want to know what a mess it is." She's not going to tell Khanmet that her mind and soul are held together with duct tape and bailing wire because A: that would probably cause a panic and B: Sekhmet doesn't know about duct tape or bailing wire.
"You'd probably be safe if I left you as-is, so long as you don't interact with any more demonic magic." That's hopefully a relief. "But there is another option. I could use my own power to reinforce yours. The procedure would carry some risk, possibly to everyone in the area, but I, uh, didn't have this home built in the middle of nowhere just for privacy. The distance also keeps people safe if something goes wrong." So the danger would be to the four of them in the room, the baby, and Prumathe if he's not on business elsewhere. "Beyond that, while it, uh, would give you control of your changes, it would probably make you even less like the person you used to be, although I could, uh, probably leverage the process to at least make you male again." she suspects Khannie would appreciate that option. "Whatever I do, I want it to be your decision. If you have questions, I'll do my best to answer."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Brignole Manor]

Khannie's smile falters.

Briefly.

Not by much.

But it falters none the less.

Beans.

This is really really bad. She can tell Sekhmet isn't saying everything. It sounds like Mystery Girl is really messed up thanks to whatever happened to her. Him. Whatever. It seems like Arthfael's memories are in there kind of but that isn't all there is to it.

Ugh.

Why does the Nexus have to be so weird.

"Don't think you've gotta decide what you're going to do right now," Khannie offers. Then Sekhmet is given a questioning look. "Right? It doesn't have to be right this second? Because it's at least stable? That'll mean our friend can decide what to do."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor]

Sekhnie nods quietly to herself, taking in the spiel and turning it over in her head. The options Sekhmet put before her were... interesting. Stability at the cost of identity. Identity with the risks of instability. And in any case, she's probably walking away from this with a demon allergy.

"...If I say yes..." Kahnmet says after a moment, "Will it be reversible if I change my mind?"

That's the tough part, isn't it? The no-going-back nature of the offer. If it did, in fact; have a no-going-back nature. If it were possible to just experiment this would be a much easier choice.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
Sekhmet considers both questions.
Waiting is definitely an option. Sekhnie in no immediate danger. But would she be able to safely undo any changes she makes to the situation?
"I can't be sure. I'm sorry, that's not helpful, but stabilizing you might require changes that can't be easily undone, but I won't know exactly until I do it. But you can take as long as you need to think about it."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Brignole Manor]

This whole situation is a mess for sure.

They're pretty sure Mystery Girl was Arthfael. The personality and fears and some of the memories are kind of there. But whatever happened it sounds like Arthfael might have... died.

It might be that who he was might never come back.

Which...

Sucks.

Khannie isn't sure what to think of it all yet. If she should be sad about losing her friend or hopeful he'll remember or what. There's just too many unknowns to be sure.

She'll just keep offering her presence in support for now.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor]

"...Then I guess I'm gonna take longer to think about it." Sekhnie concludes after another moment of thought. "I'm not really sure I want to lose this ability, either. I mean... it sucks, not having a stable shape, I already feel really clumsy basically all the time, but..."

Khanmet frowns. "But something about it... it still seems like it's going to be really useful. Somehow. I don't... actually know, you know?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
Sekhmet tries to hide her frown. "Unstable" in this case doesn't just mean transforming uncontrollably, it means that any application of Sekhnie's nascent powers will be uncontrolled. Sekhmet doesn't want to be stuck cleaning up after a violent outburst of succuboid power. "That's okay. Take your time. But, uh, do be careful." she doesn't want to scare Khanmet into accepting what amounts to significant surgery against her will.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Brignole Manor]

Khannie, however, doesn't frown.

Mystery Girl isn't giving up hope to finding a real solution instead of getting locked into... whatever this is.

That's not bad, right?

"I mean, you've basically got a Ditto's power right now and that isn't BAD. If you figure out how to actually control it being able to copy people is pretty cool,"
Khannie says, her tone encouraging. "Where have you been staying since you had your 'accident'? Just at the dorms? 'cuz those'll be shutting down for the summer pretty soon."

Oh no!

Mystery Girl will have to find somewhere to stay!
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor]

"Uh..."

Uh-oh. There's no honest way to answer that question that isn't going to raise some hackles.

"I, um... actually haven't been able to get in without a functioning ID, and basically the only way I'd get one of those is by piggybacking off someone who already has one and is probably using it, so, um..."

Sekhnie winces.

"...I've... kinda been staying with Tara. Until we can get something else figured out."

Khanmet puts on an awkward grimace as she looks between the demon queen and her apparent girlfriend. Neither of them are likely to take the news that she's been sleeping in an actual dump very well.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"Really? Eww." Mary unhelpfully comments. Tahara is too gross. She hates bugs
"Mary," Sekhmet cautions. It's not nice to say eww about other people. Even if they are literally vermin.
"We have plenty of space here if you need somewhere to stay," Sekhmet offers. The three-story manor house is far too big for four people. Sekhmet's been thinking about getting servants to take care of it, but in the meantime there're plenty of extra rooms for a guest. Plus if Sekhnie stays here she'll A: be somewhere Sekhmet can keep an eye on her unstable magic and B: if she does explode, few people will be at risk.
Hopefully she won't explode. Even if it probably wouldn't kill her it wouldn't be fun for anyone caught in the blast.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Brignole Manor]

"In the DUMP? Yeah, no way, that isn't gunna keep happening," Khannie retorts. There's no way she's just going to stand around and let one of her friends stay in a garbage dump. Even if Mystery Girl isn't... maybe... not Arthfael anymore. Even if Arthfael is maybe GONE. Then Mystery Girl is still her friend and if there's one thing Khannie can always be counted on it's having her friend's back.

"We've got an extra room at our house, too," Khannie offers. "It isn't as fancy as here but my dad's had plenty of people stay at our place over the years."

It hasn't happened in a while, though.

And Khannie would DEFINITELY like to be nearby if Mystery Girl starts remembering stuff.

She is, however, completely unaware of any exploding danger.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor]

Aaaaand there it is.

A dilemma, of the classical nature.

Sekhnie could choose to go with Khannie, which would be nice if she really was her boyfriend underneath it all. The two were obviously close and it seems like the choice she should make.

...But that's almost exactly what's wrong with it, too. Staying with Khannie could get uncomfortable if she starts leaning too much on the notion that Khanmet was her old boyfriend with a few memories missing. It might even get uncomfortable if she doesn't.

On the other hand, staying with Sekhmet hits the exact same highs and lows from the opposite side. There's no expectations to meet there... but in order to stay with her, Sekhnie would have to pointedly choose the not Khannie option. And there's no chance of finagling that in a way Khannie won't find out about; Sekhmet's daughter is one of Khannie's best friends, so if she catches any sight of Khanmet there, of course word is going to get back to Khannie.

And they're both probably expecting an answer in the general now-ish times.

"Uh..." The zorobus scratches at the back of her head nervously. "...Honestly, it's fine. Neither of you really need to trouble yourselves on my account."

Is that better than "I don't want to stay with either of you"? She certainly hopes so.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"It's not any trouble, right mum?" Mary asks.
Sekhmet says nothing. She's thinking. Tapping into her succubus aspect mostly, because that part of her is a good judge of people's motivations. Why would Sekhnie turn down two perfectly good offers? The way she's looking around at... mostly Khannie. She must... Oh. That can't be solved by Sekhmet alone.

Sekhmet's voice sounds in Khannie's head. Don't respond aloud. She's conflicted, and, uh, unfortunately it's because of you. She's worried about what you'll think if she doesn't stay with you, but she's worried about what you'll think if she does. Sekhmet's not reading Khanmet's mind, so she can't be more specific.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Brignole Manor]

Khannie opens her mouth to reply to Mystery Girl when suddenly a mind touches her mind.

Oh.

That's weird.

It isn't quite like what she's got with Maridia for sure. It feels more external?

"Yeah it's not any trouble even a bit," Khannie says, considering the situation carefully. "Uh, I guess it would probably make more sense for you to stay here with Mary and her mom, yeah? Since she can actually help you with stuff. I don't know anything about all this succubus stuff except what Mary's talked to me about."

Which, granted, isn't much.

Khannie is hoping here that if she sides with Mystery Girl staying HERE then it won't be a problem that's causing anxiety. And staying here is WAY the heck better than staying with Tahara for sure.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor]

Oh thank Absum. ...Whoever that is.

Sekhnie stares at Khannie warily for a moment, as though trying to glean if there was a test in there or something, before quickly concluding Khannie isn't that devious.

Not with her friends, at least.

"...All right." She says finally. "I'll, um... just let Tara know as soon as..."

Wait...

Now she's going to have to explain to her that she's going to go live with someone else.

...The trash witch'll understand, of course. But somehow that makes Khanmet feel a little worse.

"...Yeah. I, um... don't have any luggage or anything, so..."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"That's, uh, okay. We can provide anything you need. Clothes, uh, toothpaste, anything."
Sekhmet understands that Khannie sacrificed something to get this peace, so she also extends an olive branch. "And Khannie can come over whenever she likes," "Yeah!" Mary likes that. There's no one her age to hang out with around here, and Khannie is her best friend. An open invitation means they can probably hang out more.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Brignole Manor]

Is that really wise Sekhmet?

You just a fox spirit unrestricted access to your home.

What if she sneaks in right in the middle of the night and eats all your candles, as nogitsune are known to do.

Khannie, however, is pretty happy about this development! Being able to swing by any time she wants over the summer will be fantastic. Mary has been complaining about being bored and being able to spend some time with her friend should help there.

Also the home on a tropical island is cool as heck.

Or...

Hot.

It's hot here.

But Khannie is naturally cooled so who cares.

"Sounds good to me. I've got Tahara's phone number. I can call her for you if you want?" Khannie suggests to Mystery Girl.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor]

"...This sounds like the kind of thing that should be said in person." Sekhnie says, nodding to herself. "She, ah... she's going to at least want a good-bye hug. Or something. You know how touchy-feely she can get."

Much to her friends' dismay.

"I'll be back in... maybe two hours with RiftLine? Three at most." Sekhnie waves, heading in thst direction.

All in all, this seems like a reasonable compromise. Comfortable house, lots of space, with Khannie close but not suffocating. And Sekhmet right downstairs if she decides to try stabilizing.

Not a bad arrangement.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Brignole Manor]

Well!

That worked out okay, right?

SOME TIME LATER, however, Khannie will return. Mostly with the goal of spending time with Mary but also to check in on Mystery Girl. She's done up in her typical teen girl disguise because, well, they aren't swimming today so she doesn't have to worry about getting soaked and messing up her illusion. And of course she's dressed in light clothing because it's HOT here.

Due to the fact she was given an open invitation she'll just head straight in through the front door.

"Hello! Is anyone home?" she calls out, as she pokes her head inside.

Of course someone should be home right?

Hopefully?

They won't all be vacationing in Hell she's sure. That would be weird and maybe unpleasant.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
Khannie is, in fact, not walking in on an empty house.
In the lounge just off the foyer, Sekhmet was bouncing her infant son on her knee while asking him where things are. Mary's pet calico cat is sitting nearby.
"Where's the kitty? Yes! There it is! Where's mummy? That's righ..." Then Khannie opens the door and starts shouting.
"Oh, hello Khannie." "Kamy!" the little demon prince squeals. "Mary's up in her room. MARY! KHANNIE'S HERE TO SEE YOU!"
There's a pause, then the thumping of feed climbing quickly down stairs. "Hey Khannie!" Mary emerges from the staircase. If she wasn't a demon, that sprint would have left her out of breath.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Brignole Manor]

Oh good.

The kiddo can successfully identify Khannies, too. She smiles at the prince. "Hey Sekhmet! Hiya Red!" she says, moving closer to bend down and grin at the kiddo. "Wow! You sure are getting big! Do you think you can find-"

A wave of purple foxfire washes over her and suddenly there's an ash grey and crimson fox sitting on the floor! She grins up at them, wagging her tail.

"-the fox?"

Finding the fox is very easy, hopefully.

She doesn't keep it up long, though, fwooshing back to her human shape as soon as Mary appears.

"Hey Mary! I brought over our Switch."

Because video games are great. Also. Going to guess Mary is dressed appropriately today? What are the chances she's going to dress provocatively to upset her mom while at home?
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"Fogs?" Aethelred mumbles, reaching for Fox!Khannie. "Aww, he almost said it," Sekhmet comments, "He's going to start talking soon," she says confidently.
And yes, Mary is dressed appropriately. It's no fun dressing up if the only people who'll see it are your parents. That said, Sekhmet probably isn't perfectly comfortable with her daughter wearing a T-shirt and jeans with her royal circlet.
"That's great, I was So. Bored. here. Can't wait for school again." Mary doesn't really have experience with the switch but anything's better than sitting here. She's painted too many tropical landscapes recently.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Brignole Manor]

Casual wear plus royal diadem is definitely a look.

Khannie, who is not royal in any way, doesn't really have to worry about that sort of thing. Mostly she just has to worry about people trying to pet her when she's fuzzy.

"He's getting way better!" Khannie calls back as she heads up the stairs herself. "C'mon I can probably hook em up to that digital canvas I got you last Thanksmas."

It is, after all, basically just an extra fancy monitor.

Once they're out of earshot Khannie inquires. "Hey how are you and your mom doing with that argument? Has she unsealed you yet? It's been more than a year."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
Up to Mary's bedroom they go. It's a little bit of a mess. Mary hastily shuffles some dirty clothes on the floor underneath her bed and pulls the fancy easel out of her closet.
Then Khannie gets to the serious talk, where Sekhmet can't hear. "I don't look any older, do I?" the demon princess responds exasperatedly. "You know what she's like. She doesn't want a succubus for a daughter, and she doesn't care that it's messing other things up for me." it's really awkward. You wouldn't guess from looking that Mary is over a year older than Khannie. It would be much easier to believe the other way around. "I dunno how you could convince her otherwise. She really loathes succubi." That can't be entirely true, right? Sekhmet is a succubus. You can tell just by looking at her, and that's not because of the horns or the wings.