BC's Best... Cottages?

Personal homes and private lots.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: BC's Best... Cottages?

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"That's, uh, not at all how it works for me. It's called your immortal soul for a reason." Sekhmet understands why people are mean to roaches - they're vermin that multiply out of control, steal food, and poop on everything, but she's not going to mention that. "But you already said you didn't want an inert soul for that fuel." So there's nothing Sekhmet can do.
Which is a problem, because she is not comfortable with sacrificing a child to solve her problems. Even if it's a willing self-sacrifice.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor]

"Everything fades eventually." Tahara says with a sad little smile. "I've had a good, long life. A hundred years is nothing to sneeze at, even if I had to spend eighty-five of them like this." She gestures at her cobbled-together body and shakes her head. "Let me help you and your people before I go. Please. That's all I want from you."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"I..." Even with the new revelation that Tahara is a lot older than she looks, Sekhmet is conflicted. "All right. But you have to promise me, if I find a way to save you, you at least hear me out on it. I don't want you dying needlessly." But just in case there's some side effect that Tahara won't want, Sekhmet does leave it open for her to turn it down.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor]

Tahara's smile, such as it is, falters for a moment when Sekhmet lays out her one condition for doing this. Something about that is... not entirely agreeable to her.

...But also not objectionable enough to refuse.

"Deal." Tahara says, flashing a mouth full of discarded baby teeth and extending her hand for a handshake.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"It's settled then." Sekhmet awkwardly shakes the hand. It's not a gesture she's used to.
With that done, she leads Tahara into the library and opens a locked cabinet with a key she plucks from between her breasts. Inside is a glittering jeweled egg, which the demon queen very gingerly removes from its cushioning. "Here it, uh, is." The egg is clearly an object of immense divine power. Even those insensitive to such things would be able to tell. It smells of hopes and dreams half-remembered in waking life.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor]

Well that's... not quite what Tahara was expecting to see. In fact it's not at all what she was expecting to see.

Man. That sparrow's reports were really vague.

Tahara's tempted to ask Sekhmet what she's looking at, but quickly decides that would undercut her position too much and takes another approach. The trash witch reaches out to the egg (metaphorically; her arms don't move) and pokes around for anything resembling her brand of soul magic.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
To be fair, the sparrow probably didn't understand what was going on too well.
The egg doesn't use soul magic. It doesn't even have a soul. The closest equivalent to its function would be a divine terraforming device, something that warps an entire plane to align with itself. It is an item of immense power.
Currently it's attuned to a power of dreams...
Earlier wrote:Dreams of what has been lost. Dreams of what could be. A steady journey toward redemption and the living of a good life.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor]

"...So, um..." Tahara begins after a moment, deciding that saving face wasn't really very important in comparison. "...I get that this is probably how you intend to fix things, but... what is this thing and what does it do?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"It's, uh..." Oh crap. The person who gave Sekhmet the egg didn't really know how it worked. Which means Sekhmet doesn't really know how it works. Which means she can't really explain it to Tahara. "It alters the way a plane works," she tries, "By altering the flow of magic or, uh, something like that?" this is embarrassing.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor]

"...So you're saying you don't know either." Tahara replies flatly, letting out a low, whistling sigh. "Well, that's... kind of a relief, kind of not. But, um... assuming I understand what I do correctly, the plan is to use it to alter your plane to fix up the succubi and take them off their... dependency, right?" She runs her finger along her chin plaintively. "How were you planning on doing that? Were you gonna go somewhere with it, or...?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"I just need to, uh, prepare it with the parts it needs, attune it to my power and then leave it there and it will work on its own," That part, at least, was explained to Sekhmet.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor]

"...Uh-huh. Okay." Tahara nods and takes a deep breath. "...So what parts do you need and how do you attune it?"

There seems to be a disturbing number of missing steps in this plan, but maybe Tahara's just running up against the fact that it was just introduced to her. It's kind of hard for Sekhmet to explain anything in two sentences.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Brignole Manor]

Khannie isn't...

Totally clear on how they got here, exactly. From what Mary had told her the family house is kinda remote. So how had they gotten here so quick? Way it just Nexus stuff moving things along? It maybe matters. But maybe it doesn't. Khannie is having trouble focusing on it too hard.

Definitely weird.

Anyway!

Khannie and Mai the totally normal janitor from PREP will be arriving at the house near the tropical beach with an insentient Magical Girl in tow. The hobbit girl is in her regular PREP uniform, as is Khannie. So clearly they came straight over. Khannie had been in contact with Mary so hopefully Sekhmet will be in the loop that they're on the way over with a Witch to cleanse and get back into her body so she can get on with her life.

Mary had been the proof of concept.

But THIS is the first time they've managed to defeat a Witch AND get her body back intact.

So just knock on the door and-
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
"There are two missing parts," Sekhmet responds. She actually does know the steps here. "I need a cleanser first, something to remove spiritual corruption from my realm. Purity of heart or of soul, which, I understand, is what you wanted to provide." That's straightforward enough, "Then I need a binding agent. Something to make it stick in place on my demons' souls so it can get in deep." She's not sure what that would entail.

Also Brignole Manor
Sekhmet opens the door. "Khannie, come in... You?" She's looking at Khannie's companion with distrust in her eyes. "... Come in." She sighs. Hiep is close to the last person she wanted to see right now. Maybe fourth or fifth. In the top ten for sure.
Mary is watching from just inside the door. "Khannie? Pagliacci, is she...?" Mary can see the body but that's not enough to tell.
"Bring her down to the basement. The ritual chamber is reinforced in case something goes wrong."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor] (Tahara's Visit)

"Ah. Okay, that makes a bit more sense." Tahara nods to herself. "So... binding agent. Binding... agent. Thing that binds, binding agent. Um..." She claps her hands together awkwardly. "...Have you considered glue?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Brignole Manor - Hiep & Khannie]

Hiep smiles brightly.

"Mrs. Brignole, nice to meet you." As she steps inside and goes to the basement, she adds: "I'm a janitor at the school. Khannie asked me for help when she found this poor girl."

She's obviously pretending she doesn't already know Sekhmet. And there's something odd about her. While she's clearly the same person who got under Sekhmet's skin before, something like another identity is wrapped around her. Strands of fate that compose a simple janitor, rather than an Exalt.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Manor With Some Soul Surgery]

"Her body's still alive. She's super lucky I think it was only a couple hours before I found her, " Khannie replies, offering some hope to her friend.

It had been quite a bit longer before Khannie had gotten to Mary a few years ago. By the time her Witch had been subdued her body was long gone.

"Yeah she's just one of the school janitors. She ran into me when I was hunting Familiars and unlocked some doors for me."

...hadn't she done something to help with the Witch fight, too? Eh. It probably wasn't anything important.
Last edited by Rebonack on Jul 08, 2023 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Brignole Manor
The egg of dreams
"A metaphorical binding agent," Sekhmet counters, "Glue won't work, it's too real."

Dewitchery
"Riiiiiight," Sekhmet looks skeptically at the "janitor" with a pit in her stomach. This woman is at Mary's school now? Will she never be rid of her?
But anyway. Down to the basement, cold and dark compared to above. The ritual chamber consists of a stone room with reinforced walls and an unadorned altar in the center. Sekhmet directs the two guests to lay the comatose girl on it. Mary watches nervously. She's gone through this before, but it's a harrowing memory.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Brignole Manor]
Hatching A Plan

"Ah. So you'd need, like, the power of friendship or whatever." Tahara says with a little nod. "...The bone shard I gave you might provide that, too, come to think of it. Given how all of this..." She gestures down at her body, a brief shimmering effect taking place as the roaches run over her exterior, "...works. Although I can't say I'd blame you if you wanted to source that somewhere else. It's... probably not meant to pull double duty like that. You might accidentally turn the whole plane into me and I don't think you want that."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Brignole Manor - Hiep & Khannie]

Hiep takes a look at Mary. So this is the girl whose destiny she's supposed to safeguard. Ironic that she has to be Sekhmet's daughter of all people. She then puts Pagalicci on the altar. While the body is certainly light, Hiep seems to expend no effort hefting it. Odd for a janitor to be quite this strong.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Brignole Manor - Dewitchery]

Khannie raises an eyebrow at Sekhmet's reply, glancing back at Mia. What's going on here? Why is Sekhmet acting so weird about a regular old school janitor? Does she know her from somewhere?

Aaanyway.

Khannie fishes the grief seed out of her pocket and offers it to Sekhmet. Such a tiny thing. Of silver and absolute blackness. It stinks of hopelessness.

"This one hasn't been used like Mary's was. I don't think the Witch inside'll be as strong, so it might be easier to pull Pagliacci free," Khannie informs Sekhmet before moving to join Mary on the sidelines. What's going to follow is definitely Sekhmet's show.

Seeing her friend in distress, Khannie offers her a smile and a squeeze on the arm. "Your mom'll get her free again. Just you watch."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dewitchery
Sekhmet takes the seed and psychically enters into it, as she did with Mary.
"Right..." Mary looks nervous nonetheless. "Khannie, can we talk. In private?"

Hatching a Plan
"I'm not going to put undue strain on your, uh, donation," Sekhmet confirms. "I'd concerned about breaking it. Or some other malfunction.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dewitchery]

"Umm..."

Khannie glances at Sekhmet, who is rather occupied at the moment. She'll find the interior of the seed far more empty, for lack of a better word, than it had been with Mary. A mess of flashes and impressions and deep, smothering depression. But it isn't as dangerous as it was with Mary. Almost like the Witch is hardly aware.

This is probably because Mary's seed had been used three times to magic-recharge Khannie's soul gem. Another recharge would have awoken Mary's Witch again. But Pagliacci is in a deep slumber. Fighting through the insanity will still be a problem, but getting the girl's soul to even recognize that Sekhmet is THERE will be a task to overcome.

Anyway!

Khannie glances over at the janitor, too. She had practically forgotten the lady was even there. Maybe it's just the way she blends into the background? It's probably nothing.

"Sure."

The disguised zoroark scoots off to the sidelines with Mary. "What's up?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Dewitchery]

Hiep, to her credit, manages to stay quiet for once, playing the part of a janitor. Even when Khannie is gone and there's technically no need to keep pretending. Sekhmet is focusing on this weird crystal and even Hiep knows better than to distract her.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dewitchery
Mary glances around to make sure they're not being overheard. "I'm worried. What mum did for me, it literally saved my life, but..." She's not sure how to say this to Khannie, "It didn't work. Not entirely. The witch, Maria, she's still alive. Still in here." She taps her forehead to indicate where. "I'm worried what will happen to a girl without the resilience of a demon."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dewitchery]

Oh heck that isn't a great thing to imagine.

Like a Witch...

Exploding out of a girl's head or something?

"We've gotta try at least," Khannie concludes after a few moments of silence, pounding one fist into her palm for emphasis. "She'll be the first one after you we've given this a shot with. It won't be quite the same but... it's still gotta be something right? We've gotta give her a chance. The alternative is... it isn't great."

Which Mary knows first hand.

Being stuck in your own personal hell forever really isn't a great fate.

"We're giving her a chance. She hasn't even got that otherwise. And if it blows up...."

Khannie heaves a deep sigh.

"Well, then it'll be one more thing that didn't work."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Hatching A Plan]

"...Well, that's considerate of you." Tahara grins. "It's still a couple years' worth of imaging, after all. I'd be grateful if you could not break it without accomplishing anything."

The trash witch rests her cheek on her hand and ponders the situation. "...Still, if you have any other ideas, I'd be glad to help with them. My role in this isn't going to just be to give you materials, unless that's all you really need from me."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dewitchery
"I hope it works. For her sake and mum's. If it fails, she'll never forgive herself," and never let Mary out of her sight again. "She'll get her chance, but... I don't know. I feel like I should do something."

Hatching a Plan
"You've done more than enough already," Sekhmet points out."The materials are all I really need. I can do the rest myself."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Hatching A Plan]

"Until someone's actually been freed, I've done bupkis." Tahara replies. "So... let's try to get this done while I'm still on this mortal coil, yeah?" She grins and gives Sekhmet an affectionate punch in the arm; perhaps not the most formal encouragement she could give, but then, her being here at all defies most conceptions of formality.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dewitchery]

"I dunno if there's much of anything we CAN do," Khannie replies. "I mean, I didn't really help all that much with you. I just came in to check on you after the work was done. I guess we've just gotta hope that everything turns out okay? This still sucks. And having the Witch in you still sucks, too. I guess something like that never really goes away. But that still beats being a crazy people-eating ghost forever."

Says the ghostly zoroark.

Maybe Khannie got off easy on account of being a (potentially) person eating ghost to begin with?