BC's Best... Cottages?

Personal homes and private lots.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: BC's Best... Cottages?

Post by bc56 »

Dramatic Island
Mary shuffles through the gap in the branches. "It sounds nice. I wouldn't mind visiting somewhere like that..." It would be a great place to paint. But there's a but, isn't there?
"But mum says the depths can't ever be a paradise. It would make people want to do bad things to get in."
When Bella mentions Mary might be the one to fix the Depths, the demon princess blushes. "Haha. But no pressure, right?" she's really not ready for that responsibility.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Dramatic Island]

"The way dad and I got through isn't there anymore. I guess that door was used and now it's closed. There would have to be a new one. But when I was talking to Baccata, the dryad over by Glog? I told her about it and I guess her tree leads to different afterlives and she wanted to see that one, too. When I left Enigma Eudaemonia showed me how to cast a spell to summon a yazata. They're basically like the equivalent of angels from Elysium except angels are from Heaven instead. Anyway I summoned this goof named Sunny and he took the tree back. We might be able to check with Baccata and see if she can take us,"
Bella suggests, her story a bit rambling.

But then there's a BUT!

A terrible but.

But but, Bella has a counterpoint.

"Evil, chaotic souls used to go to Enigma. I think they were all people who thought the world was pointless. That they were pointless and so was everything else. And they used that as an excuse to hurt people. But when Eudaemonia took over and totally changed the place evil souls didn't go there anymore. Like Sunny, one of the souls he's made outta was a kid who lead a bunch of raiders away from his home. He lead 'em on a chase long enough for the good guys to get there, but he got wounded and died. The sorts of souls that go to Enigma NOW are people who want to solve the Riddle of Eudaemonia, what it is to live a truly blessed life."

It sure felt blessed while she was there.

"I dunno if the Depths can change like that, though. Maybe?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dramatic Island
"How would that work?" Mary asks, "She can just whisk people away to Heaven or Hell whenever she wants?" It seems like a wildly bizarre dynamic that could be exploited for evil ends.

"I don't think that's how it works for us. Eu was like completely bewildered that mum and I could be Good without turning into something other than succubi. She comes from a totally different world."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dramatic Island]

"What, the tree stuff? No idea, I didn't really ask. But I don't think so? None of the places she talked about sounded like Heaven or Hell. They sounded like... I dunno. One was this river that people float down until they just stop existing. Places that aren't really a punishment or a reward but were just... places," Bella replies. It had all sounded extremely strange to her. But maybe that's because of-

"Yeah... the afterlife from my dad's homeworld sounds like it is WAY different than where your mom came from. There's eight different places there? Each for different sortsa people. I've gotta be honest all the afterlife stuff has always seemed really confusing to me," Bella admits.

Becoming a succubus has absolutely failed to help it make any more sense to her.

"I think it's like... because the demons and angels and things from dad's world don't have a difference between their body and their soul their body IS their soul. So if they're all full of ugliness and violence that's what they look like."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dramatic Island
"Yeah. It's always confusing," Mary agrees. "The body/soul thing is complicated for us. Your body looks the way it does because your mind wants it to and your soul changes shape to fill it in. Like a liquid. If you chose to turn your legs into a snake tail right now," that example is on Mary's mind because of their earlier conversation, "It would feel completely natural, right? That's the soul reshaping itself. But normal people's souls don't change shape like that. They stay the shape they always were, and to get them to accept a new body, their mind has to be changed instead." The body/mind/soul trichotomy is important for some parts of magical theory, especially for succubi and other beings who work on all three.

"Look, we're here." They're surrounded by mangrove trees. Not far ahead, the ground descends into the water and the ocean is visible beyond the forest.
"Normally I'd go out that way to a place where the land sticks out into the water," it's called a "promontory," Mary, "But that's all mud and roots
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dramatic Island]

"I wonder how that works with me," Bella muses. "Like the fox is just a fox. And Glister definitely has a unicorn soul even though I originally had a human soul. But I think I've only got the one soul? It's either in my unicorn body or my shadow-fox body but not both. But then there's me."

Looking at Bella with any sort of soul sight would reveal her to be a normal royal succubus. In so far as a royal succubus can be said to be normal. Maybe that's just a testament to the depth of a kumiho's major illusions?

Then she gives a snort of a laugh. "I guess it probably isn't THAT important, but I'm gunna be curious about it no matter what."

And then?

They have arrived.

"Oh wow, it's really neat," Bella says, admiring the view and the surrounding forest. "It... I mean, don't take this the wrong way, but it kinda reminds me of Maria's Labyrinth. Just pretty instead of horrible. It's even got the ruins."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: Nov 02, 2023 6:00 pm Knocking at the Door
"Right." The topic changes aren't exactly comfortable for Sekhmet either, but she really doesn't want to dwell on what happened at the party, in case it awakens the succubus in her again. "Is there anything else I should know about this situation?"
[Knocking at the Door]

"...Hard to say." Euphoria mutters, leaning forward. "There's a lot to know and it all seems relevant, in some form or another."

"I guess what you'd really need to know immediately is who is chasing us down, exactly." Exstacy reasons, shuffling in her seat. "...And that would be Ilpholin Xar'cha. You've heard of her, right? I get the impression she's kind of infamous..."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dramatic Island
"As far as I can tell, you have a succubus' soul. If I hadn't seen the fox, I would be completely fooled." Mary doesn't really like thinking about the fox though. She likes feeling like her sister's a real person.

"I guess it does?" With all the water and the darkness from the leaves overhead, it's hard to tell if the old stones the mangroves are rooted around were masonry or not.

Knocking at the Door
Sekhmet's face hardens. "Her. I know her." The normally amiable demon queen's voice is ice cold and sharp as a knife. "I'll help you however I can against her."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dramatic Island]

Bella wrinkles her nose when she spies Mary's pensive expression. "Hey, I know that look," she says to her sister. "I'm not fake, okay? Kumiho stuff is weird and tricky but I'm NOT fake. I'm just as real as anyone else."

According to Bella, anyway. Calling her an illusion or a dream might be technically correct but what does that even matter? She and Mary care about each other and that's without question real.

"A little, but not in a bad sorta way. I've been in a lotta Labyrinths and they're nearly all something that's important to the girl, just all twisted around. That just means this place is really beautiful to you, right?" Bella says as she moves to inspect some of the stones a little more closely with a ball of fire in her hand providing meager light.

Bella's fire is still fire, but the amount of illumination it sheds isn't much. Mary might be reminded of that big demon from The Fellowship of the Ring.

Fire and shadow.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dramatic Island
"Right, right." Mary stops thinking about it for now. It's creepy.

A closer look at the stones makes it more clear; these are probably old ruins. But submerged in mud and water as they are, exploring them is out of the question with Mary in her current condition.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dramatic Island]

Good!

Stop thinking about creepy things, Mary.

You need to keep a positive attitude.

"These stones were TOTALLY worked with tools," Bella announces. "But this place is so boggy I dunno if it would even be POSSIBLE to uncover anything. It's all mud and muck. I wonder if Marigold would be able to help? Like... doing gaiad stuff to move things around?"

If Marigold were rooted here then the swamp would, in a very real sense, BE her. A gaiad's weald is just as much her body as her effigy form is. Maybe even more so.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dramatic Island
Mary considers the question. "I don't know? I'll ask her. Marigold, are you oh I feel funny." When Bella looks back there's a gaiad there instead of a demon princess. She looks gaunt and her legs are wobbly. "Sorry if I surprised you but it sounds like you wanted my help?" She looks around the area. "I love this place but I don't know it it's okay for me to root. I don't know what it'd do to Mary."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dramatic Island]

Bella jumps slightly when suddenly Marigold.

Holy heck that's weird.

Is this basically how Mary feels when the fox takes the Bella mask off? Like her sister has been replaced with someone else? No wonder Mary is weirded out by it. Mary's names seem like they're all totally different people. Even when Khannie had figured out how to give voice to the fox and all the Masks at once it STILL felt to Bella like she was just having a conversation with herself. Like playing out a discussion in your head while in the shower.

"It's okay, no big deal," Bella insists. "But yeah I was kinda hoping maybe you would know what would happen but I guess not. Maybe Rose would know more?"

When Rose rooted she changed permanently into an infernal gaiad. If the same thing happened to Mary then that might mean Marigold would become her dominant Name. Which... might not be desirable.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dramatic Island
"We could go talk to her. But there aren't many demonic gaiads around. I don't know if things would work the same for me as for her." Marigold replies. "I would really love to root though. Wowee, I feel exhausted. I think changing over tired me out. Maybe we should go back to the house. We might be able to call Rose from there."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dramatic Island]

"I guess that might be a good idea?" Bella muses. "I don't really know about any of this stuff; just a little bit I read about kumiho and things."

Technically Khannie read about kumiho and things but Bella remembers what she did as Khannie as if she had done it herself.

"I did grab a general book on Dreamlands fae since it had some stuff on kumiho, too. I guess gaiads root instead of sleeping? So it's like... you've gone however long without getting any sleep,"
Bella recalls. "But we dunno what would happen to Mary so... yeah. We should see if we can talk to Rose. You need a hand?"

Bella offers and arm for Marigold to hand onto for the walk back to the house.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dramatic Island
"A couple months," Marigold helpfully provides a number. She does look exhausted. "I'm okay, I can walk," She has four legs, that makes her a lot better at balancing than Mary.
Presumably the pair sets off back the way they came, towards the manor house.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dramatic Island]

A couple months without sleep?

Heck.

That sounds terrible.

Humans would start going crazy a long time before that. Leaving something like a soul rattling around inside a brain that long starts doing damage. But a gaiad rooting isn't exactly like sleep is it? According to the book it's more about replenishing eldritch magic. Like how the fox restores herself by... eating things.

Bella is pretty sure the fox hasn't been eating PEOPLE. If she was then there would be more Masks, right?

It's creepy to think about either way.

"So what are we gunna do if Rose can't help? I dunno if what's going on with you is common enough for there to be books about it," Bella wonders aloud as they head back to the house.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dramatic Island
Mary's slept during that time. And she doesn't need to sleep. But how does that apply to Marigold?
"I don't know. Maybe we'll just get Mary back out and forget about it." Marigold is pretty willing to just bury her problems, but after the thing with Maria, that's no surprise.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dramatic Island]

It really does make things really confusing doesn't it?

Bella doesn't need to sleep, but she still does. She and... um... the other hers? There's gotta be an easier way to describe that. They're all connected through their dreams. Glister has been trying to figure out how to do lucid dreaming. She's hoping that'll make it easier to remember what the fox gets up to.

Weirdly, Bella is pretty sure she and Glister share their dreams.

"Maybe," Bella replies, sounding less certain. "I mean, you both wanna exist right? We'll figure something out."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dramatic Island
"We do!" Why would they not both want to exist? "And we don't wanna wipe out each other either," Marigold continues. "I think Mary likes the idea of being able to be someone else. Especially after everything grandmum did as 'Mary.'"
There's the house. Marigold opens the door and steps inside... Only to find herself at the mercy of the nemesis of deer everywhere... Hardwood floor.
The young gaiad's hooves scrabble for purchase on the smooth surface and find none. She collapses, legs splayed.
"Mary? Bella? What was that noise?" Sekhmet asks from the next room over.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dramatic Island]

Oh no.

Hooves and slick surfaces really don't get along.

Thanks to sharing her memories with what Glister gets up to Bella remembers all too well what's it's like to step onto something slippery and have all her hooves go flying off in different directions.

"Yeah I get that. Sapphira used you to act like a creep," Bella agrees. But now evil, evil flooring. Knowing full well how troublesome such floors can be, Bella will take Marigold by the hands and begin moving to scoot her along the floor toward the nearest carpet. Thankfully fuzzy bellies slide well.

"Mary's being Marigold right now!"
Bella calls back. "Her hooves and the floor are having an argument."

It's probably a good thing that Bella had decided to stick with regular human feet rather than cloven hooves herself. Walking around on two legs with hooves is not easy. There's a reason why Glister only really does it when she's got her human disguise for extra support.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dramatic Island
Marigold is scooted across the floor to the living room, where she gets her front hooves onto the carpet and then can be pulled the rest of the way back onto her feet. Sekhmet is in the room with a book and a toddler on her lap. She looks at her gaiad daughter. "You're all right? I told you to take it easy with shapeshifting until you were better."
"I'm okay Mum, just tired."
"Mawy?" Aethelred questions.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dramatic Island]

"Hi Red!" Bella says, grinning over at her younger sibling. The kiddo is pretty cute but also pretty small. "Mary's got extra legs today."

That sure is a way to describe it, right?

More legs but no wings. Limb count conserved.

"We were looking at the spot where Marigold was wanting to root but we dunno what that would do to Mary since the Marigold Name is... umm... more Namey?" Bella ventures. She really isn't sure how to describe Marigold being more independent than, say, Mary's dragon name. "We were thinking maybe Rose would know if it would be okay?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dramatic Island
"That's okay. Rose, could you come here please?" Sekhmet addresses that last bit to empty space, but she puts into it her power and intent to summon her chief minion.

Meanwhile, Red reaches for Marigold. "Mawy howd!"
"Okay," the gaiad scoops up her brother and deposits him on her back. He giggles in appreciation and grasps a clump of her fur. "Ow! Hey!" She reaches down and carefully pries his fingers apart. "Be gentle."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dramatic Island]

Rose has been called!

ROSE HAS BEEN SUMMONED!

There's a shower of burgundy rose petals in the living room, fluttering down to the floor to create a curtain of dancing flowers. And upon reaching the floor they burn up into nothing, leaving Rose standing in their place. That was pretty quick.

"What can I do for you, Your Majesty?" the captain of the guard inquires, trying her best to sound formal. It doesn't last long. "Oh! Hey kids!"

The children will be given a cheerful wave.

"We were actually wondering if you know what would happen if Marigold roots. Like... would that do anything bad to Mary?" Bella inquires whilst trying to show Red how to be gentle with his big sister rather than just yanking her fur. You must pet the gaiad gently.

At this Rose seems thoughtful. "Well, I was going to bring you all over here to begin with so Marigold could root. I don't think it would be dangerous? You're a succubus with a gaiad name, Marigold. That's pretty different from being an infernal gaiad like me. Your weald should become part of your body just like your regular body is! And that meany Sapphira rooted while she was controlling you and THAT didn't do anything bad? Aside from the bad things she decided to do but she was a meany."

As already established.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dramatic Island
"Hi Rose!" Marigold responds cheerily. "That sounds good, I think? Should we go try?"

Red seems to listen to Bella and imitate her gentle motions... And nope, he just grabbed more fur with his other hand. "Oww. Let go, and we can go for a ride, okay?" The little demon prince might be slightly too young to understand that, but old enough to enjoy a deer ride.
Sekhmet stands up and sets her book on an end table. She intends to come with the girls.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: Nov 03, 2023 1:27 pm Knocking at the Door
Sekhmet's face hardens. "Her. I know her." The normally amiable demon queen's voice is ice cold and sharp as a knife. "I'll help you however I can against her."
[Knocking at the Door]

Exstacy gives a little shiver as Sekhmet's tone goes from "comfortably warm" to "downright abyssal". At least she doesn't have any doubts about the woman's sincerity.

"You've had dealings with her before, then?" Euphoria asks, taking another sip of tea. While their relationship is clearly adversarial, the specifics might still contain some salient information.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dramatic Island]

Maybe one of these days Red will be able to sit on Marigold without yanking handfuls of her fur. But today is not that day.

"Oh, that sounds like fun! I spend so much time in Hell and Brimstone Park. Seeing somewhere else will be neat!" Rose says as she begins to pronk only to realize. "Wait which way is out?"

"C'mon, I'll lead the way," Bella declares before setting out.

...they're going to have to navigate the hardwood floor again. Unless there's another way out.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Knocking at the Door
"She tried to kill me once," Sekhmet replies, "At a spooktober party." She sighs. "There are very few people whom I can genuinely say I hate, and Ilpholin is one of them. I can understand the demon hunters who show up to stop demonic attacks, or even hunt down specific demons who've caused trouble. But the people who hunt down demons, or any other group of people, simply because of what type of people they are, I cannot stand."

Dramatic Island
The floor. The dreaded hardwood floor. Marigold stops at the edge of it. "I'm gonna need some help," she admits.
Sekhmet supports her daughter with her shoulder. "Someone get her other side," With that arrangement, they should be able to carry Marigold across the hazardous flooring.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dramatic Island]

Rose will take the other side and THANKFULLY her stone salamander feet are able to get enough traction to prevent her from sliding around as well. It's a close thing, but she manages! Smooth floors are a bane to most non-human animal feet.

Bella does a pretty great job of not laughing at the scene.

'cuz you've gotta admit, this IS pretty funny.