The Theatre

Personal homes and private lots.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Re: The Theatre

Post by quillpleasant »

To See the Wizards

The Skull Taker prattles on, waiving a claw dismissively. "The engines keep burning. Turning. Light? They came before. The future is being chewed. Like a bird feeding its young. The world is young, never to grow up. Not enough time." Seeing as it's being no help at all, the Skinless King leans down to hiss at Ratticus.

"We don't know... where his magic... came from. The child came... to us... already burdened. We... saved him. He's alive... because of us..."

Its unblinking blue eyes turn to stare after Darko, who's currently leading Asami to a place where the floor has partially caved in. Three of the seats form a jumbled mess of broken wood. The pit is half filled with brackish water, and fuzzy black mold spreads out from it, covering the seat cushions like a thick ashy cobweb.

"See? Cool mold. I tried eating it once though, and it made my tongue swell up so much I almost suffocated," says Darko proudly. He's not touching the 'invented light' thing, as curious as he is- Asami hasn't been very forthcoming with talking about her godhood before, and he suspects it's a sore topic for some reason.

Back on stage, the Taker's skull shifts into what looks like that of a great ape with long jutting fangs. Ceasing its mumbling, it continues answering Ratticus' question as if it had never stopped.

"As to what we get, we make no attempt to deceive. We split his power. It is too great for any one being to handle, especially a fragile mortal, especially a child. But we are old, and wise, and it will let us manifest ourselves fully in this dimension, as more than mere figments and shadows."
horses can attack and eat me
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

To See the Wizards

Rowan and Ratticus both do the same gesture of raising a claw and opening their mouths, saying "Oh. There it is."
Yeah. That would be the problem. Rowan is pretty sure he never wants anything like Granny fully manifesting in the world.

"And what do you plan on doing once you're in this dimension? I take it you're not planning on manifesting a body made of cookie." Ratticus glares at Rowan at that one.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

[To See the Wizards]

Asami looks at the mold for a second before smiling at Darko. "Ah, you likely had an alergic reaction. Let me try some," she says, picking a piece of mold and promptly touching it to her tongue, "Do you know what kind of mold this is, by the way?"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

To See the Wizards

Asami will find that while the mold has a texture similar to cotton candy, it tastes of dust and rot. For a human, it's at best disgusting, at worst a severe respiratory risk. Darko shrugs. He's not perturbed by Asami trying it, since he assumes it won't affect gods much.

"Beats me. I kind of stayed away after last time. It made me delirious for a couple days afterwards too." Of course, being a sickly kid with no access to healthcare made it a little harder to deal with.

Onstage, the Skull Taker shrugs, bony frame creaking. "We are not a monolith. Our goals are separate, and in some cases, conflicting. The Outcast will be free to seek out those in need to help and heal. The Gamblers will be able to influence the outcomes of the games they play with fate. The Silver Screen will gather a devoted audience to spread his art. The Burrower will begin anew its cycle of rebirth. The Unnamed and the Chrysalis have motives unknown even to me. For my part, it will allow me to spread my message of warning to a wider audience, so that all may be aware of the dark times to come."

The Skinless King remains silent, blue eyes glittering.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

To See the Wizards

"Kind of worrying to be honest." Rowan sighs. He doesn't really have any other questions. Though as he glances over at the trinkets the represent the wizards, one more thing does occur to him.
"Oh right, Darko said there was a new thing on the table. Have you increased your numbers?"
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[To See The Wizards]

Asami starts coughing from the taste, clearly affected by it. If Darko's tongue swelling up really was an alergic reaction, the same likely wouldn't happen to Asami here. Though while poisons won't maim her flesh, she has no such inate defenses against afflictions of the mind and may soon suffer from delirium herself. "I see," she responds calmly.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

To See the Wizards

Darko's reaction was definitely on the extreme end- growing up in a damp, mold filled environment has made him much more susceptible to many allergens. However, even in a healthy person, it'll probably make them feel weird for at least a little while, although the severity would certainly depend on the individual's health.

"Let's see... there's also a termite infestation in the women's bathroom, and some pretty lavender mushrooms grew in the box office recently." Pretty exciting stuff, although Darko is still half paying attention to the conversation onstage.

The Skull Taker follows Rowan's gaze to the violet crystal on the edge of the stage. "Yes, the Chrysalis has returned to us. It was trapped until recently, captured by fools who wished to understand and harness its power. Coincidental events have resulted in its freedom. I am sure that it will be introducing itself to Darko at some point in the near future."

Its claws scrabble at the stage, tearing up a long splinter. "For all my warnings, it it still the child's choice to leave or stay. We cannot prevent it. But it was us who kept him alive when he was utterly alone, despite knowing little about how mortal life works. Us who convinced him to not give up. Give us some credit for that."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

To See the Wizards

"I'm sure that went about as well for them as it did in Sandman." Rowan nods. He doesn't think any of these Wizards would be a great person to have be mad at you for imprisoning them for a long time.

Still, Rowan crosses his arms and nods, trying to look impassive.
"As I said before, this is no indictment on you. But what I am makes me careful, that is all. Anyone would call me a fool otherwise."
"And I do anyway."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[To See The Wizards]

Asami suddenly pays razor-sharp attention to Darko, staring directly into his eyes and grinning mischieviously. "Why were you in the women's bathroom?" she teases.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

To See the Wizards

Darko freezes at Asami's question, then sighs, relaxing. It would probably be weirder if she wasn't teasing him. "Well, because it's the one I used until like, a year ago, if you catch my meaning. But I'll take it as a compliment that you couldn't tell." He crosses his arms a little self consciously.

Onstage, the Skull Taker lets out a gurgling laugh. "Indeed, you're wise to be careful. But unless you wish to become a fool, you'll heed this advice." Heaving itself up on its bone skinny limbs, the thing shambles closer to Rowan, its voice dropping to a whisper only audible to him and Ratticus.

"Stay away from the Dark Child for your own safety. You're right not to trust me and the others behind the curtain- some of us have horrible plans in mind. But I promise you that the boy is worse. Every moment around him you risk a terrible fate, and you already have one dark cloud in your sky. No need to go looking for rain." It turns and begins creeping off back towards the curtains.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

To See the Wizards

It seems like the Skull Taker subsists on cryptic warnings. He's just full of them.
"There's no need to look for rain. But you have to risk it every once and a while."
Ratticus is definitely holding back a comment about calculated risks and Rowan's skill at math.

"I guess that's it then. I'm out of questions. Anything else you wanted to say?"
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[To See The Wizards]

Asami looks kind of caught off-guard by Darko's answer, tilting her head curiously. "Couldn't tell... what? Is it just the only one that works here?" she inquires, guilelessly smiling.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

To See the Wizards

Cryptic warnings are indeed what the Skull Taker is all about, but it seems to be out of them for the moment. Its skull swivels back to stare at Rowan, shifting into that of a malformed elephant. "Only that I do hope you're right." It steps behind the curtain, disappearing into the dark folds.

Meanwhile, Darko is squinting at Asami as he tries to figure out if she's making fun of him, or just clueless. Considering she's a god, she might just not know certain things, so it's probably the latter. He considers lying, but... it's not like it's anything bad. "Uh... sometimes humans change their gender. I'm a boy now, I just didn't realize it before. It's not really a big deal." Or at least, he doesn't want it to be.

But now might not be the best time to continue that discussion, because the Skinless King is now moving back to center stage. Its huge hands move soundlessly over the boards as it surveys the audience.

"You... talk a lot... but you won't be there... to help him..." it hisses at Rowan. Which is true enough- he's got a business to run. "She... could be... but is she... strong enough...?" A five foot bone finger jabs the air at Asami. Seems like it still wants to test how well she can handle Darko's magic acting up.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

To See the Wizards

"You say I talk a lot but I'm pretty sure your friend's said more than me today." That happens when someone speaks half in ramblings.
"We can certainly ask them. But you know telling a kid their age to do something is the best way to get them not to do it." Especially a kid like Asami.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[To See The Wizards]

Asami clicks her tongue. "Gender? I've never heard that word before. I... think I get it. Why'd it take you so long to realize you're a boy, though? I mean, should be pretty easy to tell the moment you get extremely excited from receiving one mild compliment." She giggles a little, grinning at Darko. However, her teasing is interrupted by the skinless king pointing to her, snapping her to attention.

"Well... I can do a lot, but, existing fully in this realm puts a lot of limits on my power. Its like... There's always the possibility I could be evenly matched."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

To See the Wizards

Even if there was time, explaining the entire concept of gender to Asami seems like a pretty daunting proposition, so Darko is actually relieved at the King's interruption. But the fact that she understands at all is a nice surprise. Her question gets a muttered "Because everyone told me I was a girl, and I looked like one." Close enough.

The King, meanwhile, rolls its eyes from Rowan to Asami in turn. "I do not... command. You are here to... convince me. Not the other... way around." Belligerence or antagonism would defeat the whole purpose.

"You do not speak... as a mortal. Show me... what you are in... your realm. The Theatre... will allow it." Asami will in fact find that the Theatre, as an extradimensional space inherently designed to aid with manifesting from other realms and dimensions, should make it possible for individuals to appear without the usual constraints of the material world. It should also protect others from the side effects of an individual's presence- so a star wouldn't immediately vaporize the room, and the King isn't making anyone's skin crawl off.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

To See the Wizards

Rowan is personally convinced at this point that the King doesn’t deserve Darko’s consideration in his life choices given that he has fairly hard confirmation that this guy isn’t to be trusted any more than he looks. But he isn’t going to say that.
Ratticus whispers into his ear and then disappears into his pocket.
Rowan takes the suggestion and covers his eyes.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[To See The Wizards]

Asami tilts her head at the Skinless King, her brow furrowing with intrigue. "I mean... 'mortal' just depends on how you look at it, ya know?" she says as she scratches the back of her head and stands up, "Er, true form, then. Here we go!" Asami closes her eyes tightly and pumps up her fists in front of her chest. All of a sudden, an expansive plasma filled the theatre, stretching out for hundreds of thousands of kilometres or until it meets some sort of magic barrier. Those who can look would only see a bright light that penetrated one's eyelid's completely. Though it didn't negate the magical creation of shadow, it couldn't be obscured normally as it was shining from every angle. Still, due to the theatre's interference, it would be harmless and appear only as the whitest possible white.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

To See the Wizards

As Asami's true form is revealed, it also becomes clear just how unearthly the Theatre really is. Rather than entrapping or limiting her growth, the building just seems to stretch, the rows of seats extending into the distance and the ceiling disappearing into endless blackness above. It's hard for the brain to fully process, between the blindingly bright light from Asami and the unnatural distortion of reality to accommodate her.

Darko tries to look, but can only hold it for a couple seconds before he's forced to shield his eyes with his arm, blinking away tears from the brilliance. He knew she was a goddess, but not that she was an actual star. Well, that's just a little intimidating.

The Skinless King, on the other hand, stares unflinchingly. It has no eyelids anyway.

"Powerful... indeed. Why... are you hiding... in the child form? What do... you gain from... this charade?" It glances down at Rowan, and a horrible wheezing laughter echoes from its rib cage. "The Dark Child... keeps strange company... indeed. Why worry... about us... with friends like these?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

To See The Wizards

Maybe they should worry about you because you're 2/3 of a giant skeleton. But Rowan doesn't say that either.
"He goes to a Protagonist school. That's just what you should expect." he says simply. He can't see anything but even through his claw there's a lot of light seeping through.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[To See The Wizards]

Star-Asami pauses for a second before speaking out to the skinless king, her voice booming and radiant, "To exist in the mortal realm, my kind alter ourselves to match their souls and are eventually born fully as mortals. We cannot freely or readily change back. As for why that form is a child, my last form died recently and I had to reincarnate."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

To See the Wizards

The Skinless King's massive jaw opens and closes a couple times with a rattling sound. It seems almost... confused.

"Why would... you choose to... be mortal? You are... so much more." It gestures at Rowan with one huge hand. "Many mortals... willing or not... seek to transcend. But few... choose the opposite."

Without waiting for an answer, it slowly turns and begins to stalk back towards the curtain, seemingly satisfied with Asami's display. As it reaches the red velvet wall it half turns, its cloak already beginning to fade into the shadows. "You both seek... to be less than what you are. Your presence... will help him." A last deathly grin at Rowan. "Tell your master... not to be... a stranger." And then it slowly pulls back into the curtain folds, until only the pinprick blue of its eyes can be seen in the dark.

The shadows around the stage, already almost gone under Asami's brilliance, begin to withdraw. It seems that the audience is ending, at least for the time being. Darko, still holding his arm across his eyes, gives a thumbs up.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

To See the Wizards

”I’m very happy not transcended myself.” Rowan mutters. And indeed, he is exactly how Granny wants him. Enough fey to work for her plans, exactly mortal enough to not count as a fey for very specific purposes.
”Don’t be silly, Dearie. Your Granny can’t be a stranger.” Rowan answers the other part in a shockingly decent impression of her.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[To See the Wizards]

With the audience concluded, the all-encompassing solar material rapidly contracts and deposits the mortal Asami, her eyes becoming anime-style spirals as her head spins around in disorientation. She shakes her head and straightens her posture, turning to Darko. "Wow. They were a lot nicer than I expected. Its a good thing you have people like them taking care of you, Senpai."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

To See the Wizards

As the star child's glow recedes, the Theatre returns to its usual gloom, no longer stretching reality to accommodate the unearthly inhabitants. It just looks like an old dilapidated building again, crumbling and old and in dire need of demolishing. But there's a feel of rest, like a great beast settling into slumber- a fitful slumber full of strange dreams.

Darko carefully opens his eyes, blinking in the darkness. He smiles widely. "You're right, they were really nice today! I expected that to go a lot worse. And you were awesome! I had no idea you could, like... do that." The star transformation is certainly more impressive than anything he's ever done. Although he's thinking the same question the King asked- why does she choose to live as a mortal?

But that's a question for later. He waves up at the stage. "And you were great too Rowan, you really chewed them out! I can't imagine being brave enough to talk to them like that." Heck, he wouldn't be that snippy with a human, let alone an eldritch monster.

"So... I guess, now that you've heard their arguments, do you still think I should move out?" He glances between his friends. It was Asami's idea in the first place, and she seems to have changed her tune on seeing the Theatre, but Rowan seems to have only doubled down on his distrust for the place.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

To See the Wizards

Okay, time to have this conversation. Darko asks this question as if it is actually a question.
"Of course. You need to be with kids your own age, getting some actual nutrition, besides any safety hazards." Because oh gosh this place has safety hazards.
"But Darko, I don't really know what to say when one of your friends tells me point-blank not to trust them and that some of them are using your power so they can fully manifest in the world and some will do bad things. That's not my interpretation, Skull-Taker said that."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[To See The Wizards]

"Why does it matter what I think? You're the one making that choice, obviously you've carefully researched dorm living and have weighed the pros and cons for yourself. I know you're not stupid enough to just decide on a whim," she admits dismissively, "But if you want my take? The big thing to keep in mind is you'll be spending a lot of time alone with your roommate. You'd have to call me over somehow to deal with any real emergency caused by the entity. It will for certain use that to its advantage."

Asami raises an eyebrow at Rowan, chuckling slightly. "And I'm sure they're just gonna eat people or something. Not something worth worrying about. Besides... They really did save Darko's life. They're so based for that." She fires a serene glance in Darko's direction.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

To See the Wizards

Darko nods solemnly at Rowan's advice. It's pretty much exactly what he expected to hear- which isn't a bad thing. Sometimes you need outside confirmation, especially if you have a lot of self doubt.

"Yeah I mean... they might do bad things. Some of them will. But some of the others will do good things. The Outcast is really, really good. And like Asami said, they all did save me. A lot of humans just... looked the other way, when I was starving on the streets."
He's worried that Rowan has a slightly stilted viewpoint of the Wizards, since he intentionally met two of the most dubious amongst their ranks. "But even the Skinless King... I really doubt that whatever he's planning would be as bad as I could be if my magic went wild."

Turning to Asami, he frowns. "It matters what you think because you're my friend, and I asked you here for advice. And you're right, I can't rely on you to be there all the time- but it's good to know you'll be a lifeline if needed." He pauses for a moment. "And, uh, roommate? Is that a mandatory thing? I kind of... value my privacy. Wait, who's your roommate?" This feels like something he should know. Is he a bad friend? Oh god he probably is.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

To See the Wizards

Well, Rowan was told to talk to the two that wanted Darko to stay. Those just happened to be the most sketchy.
"Asami, some of us are people. And getting eaten kills us." He feels like he doesn't have to explain that but apparently he has to because not only is she an absolute brat she apparently also has no value for human life. Great.
He keeps his opinion that the skinless king could probably make everyone's skin melt off and raise a skeleton army to himself.
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[To See The Wizards]

Asami raises an eyebrow at Rowan. "Uhh..." she says uncertainly, "Well, yeah, me and Darko are. But, we'll be fine."

She places a hand on Darko's shoulder, frowning. "There will be no privacy, I'm afraid. I mean, if you get someone to agree to be your roommate, the school can put you together. But, that's about all the choice you get," she elaborates, forgetting to answer Darko's last question.