Trog's Tavern: Roman Numerals Are Dumb

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: Trog's Tavern: Roman Numerals Are Dumb

Post by Zefir »

Earl of Purple wrote: May 09, 2023 10:48 am Silverwhistle goes to book the room and take the key, quite eager to take Atya upstairs and behind the curtain.

"Undead can be hard to kill. And they weren't sealing it off with many monsters inside; the ones they found they killed. They wanted to stop any surviving minions or underlings getting inside, or necromancers or adventurers accidentally triggering any contingency plans the vampire left behind. Building a castle on top at least guarantees if anyone tries to get in they'd be in a position to find out about it and stop them, and collapsing tunnels built into solid rock's far harder than you'd think. Mostly it's stuff the paladins either weren't able to kill, or which they didn't fid, and in a couple really annoying instances stuff they could and did kill but which don't stay dead. They weren't interested in treasure like we were, so they didn't know the blood waterfall was an elemental because they didn't try fishing coins out of the pool. The paladins thought they'd be there forever; they weren't expecting their god to die. Priests never do, really."
"That just get's to my point from earlier. Gods are mortals who became so strong people call them gods." Zefir replies with a shrug.
"You wouldn't belive me, but I know ways to demolish any structures wven such deep inside a mountain, but you are right those paladins don't had what i have so I understand that point. Considering all that you don't have it that hard in the dungeon as there can't be that much monsters around."
He then takes a look around seeing that most of her company is gone. Only the big guy remaind if he saw it right. And Zefir is not sure what to say now.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

"I would, actually. It's very much a doable thing. It's just not easy, and it's rarely certain. Unless you go to the effort of levelling the mountain, except this wasn't a mountain. It was a cliff. And no matter what, you're left with rubble and ruin. And here, I'll tell you where it is if you don't think it's much trouble." The Azra pulls out a piece of paper and jots down a rather crude map, before rolling it up and hitting it against the table. When she unrolls it, the map is far more accurate and well-marked. "Why don't you go investigate it? There's plenty of treasure left, I reckon. We took as much as we could carry out, not all of it." Cankerbert coughs, and spits a gold ring to the floor.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Morty »

Hraithre wrote: May 09, 2023 6:40 pm In response to Lia, Sandels shrugs. "Is it to the death? Feh, that's a bit up in the air. But it will make no difference if it is. You said it yourself, I won't have any problems defeating him." There's an odd glint to his eyes when he says that.

In response to Michalson, he throws his hands up. "Why should she care? Why would she?", he asks back, incredulous. "What, you think the lunker's gonna fight you over it? I don't think so. You'll have all the time you need to carry out your promise to her. By the time he comes for her, it won't be any of your business."
quillpleasant wrote: May 09, 2023 8:38 pm Atya hoists up her chemical tank and follows Silverwhistle up to the room, quite pleased with how the night's events have played out.

-

At the table, Lia nods thoughtfully. "True enough. If it's to the death it'll be his death. But I'm still curious as to why you're fighting in the first place."

She drums her fingers as she listens to the argument. "This is over who claims her soul? Surely it's the destination that matters, not who ushers her there, yes?"
"He might fight me. I wouldn't know. I'm not exactly the most imposin' basher around." Michalson shrugs. "But anyway, she knows that and she still doesn't want you to fight him. Maybe because she thinks he'll scrag you and she doesn't want that."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Sandels glances at Lia. "It isn't really about her at all. It's him and me who want to fight. Womenfolk are just a convenient excuse to do it over." He weighs the detective's words and drums the table with his fingers.

"... tell her that if she won't do her job, all that means I'm going to fight without her, and it'll be a harder fight for that. I'm not going to call this off for her." He reaches for and grabs his drink, then finishes it in one go. "Waiter! More beer, please!"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Lia's finger drumming grows more agitated. "You're still not telling me why you're even fighting. Or is it just because that's what 'menfolk' do?" She sighs, the eyes around her cap blinking. Just her luck to be so invested in the affairs of the someone so frustratingly evasive.

She leans forward, resting her chin on her hands as she stares up at Michalson. "Do you know why they're fighting? Maybe no one knows. Maybe we should all just fight to the death."
horses can attack and eat me
Morty

Post by Morty »

Michalson looks between Sandels and Lia, gears turning in his head. Sandels is being evasive.

"I only know what Bunny told me. Which is that these two berks are fightin' over her. Is it true, what she said?" he asks Sandels.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Sandels mulls it over in his head. "... it's true in the sense that she's the last of us to arrive her. Which means she has the most recent news of, ah, our homeworld. I may or may not have said something to the lunker that made him mighty interested in those" He takes a moment to accept a new drink from the waiter. "Of course, I hope you realize it doesn't even matter if she knows anything. He ought to know how things are. He's just... blocked it out of his memory or something. I may be at fault for that, but it really isn't supposed to happen anymore."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Lia stares at Sandels for a moment, then back at Michalson. "Did any of that make sense to you? Am I the crazy one here?"

Her cap glows brighter in frustration. "Is this a reaper thing? You could just say 'we're fighting for a mysterious reaper reason' and I'd accept that. What is it that your compatriot isn't remembering?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

"I think I've got the general picture," Michalson tells Lia, looking at Sandels through narrowed eyes. "Reminds me of when I heard about a scarred, tattooed berk runnin' around Sigil askin' everyone barmy questions. Of course, it means that simply givin' him the straight dark of what happened might defuse this."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Sandels laughs at Lia. "Ha! Nobody ever accepts 'mysterious Reaper thing' as an answer. Believe me, I've tried", he says. At the thought of simply talking it through, he shakes his head. "Did you consider he might have a just reason to hate my guts even if he remembered everything? It would be fair to say I'm the reason he's here, and he's the reason why I am. We are both to blame for why the other can never return."

He gives Lia a meaningful glance. "Go ahead. Ask the lunker himself when you see him. You have to fetch my armor from him, remember?"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

"It's not like I can get anything else out of you," mutters Lia, rolling her eyes, "Yeah, I think I will ask him. Besides, maybe being here isn't so bad."

She stares into the distance for a second, then sighs. "Well, seems like you're dead set on it, and there's nothing Michalson here or I can do to change your mind. Not that I necessarily want to, because I still don't even know why you're really fighting." She shrugs, looking at the detective. "I think your efforts are for naught."
Morty

Post by Morty »

Michalson sighs. He can't really disagree with Fia.

"Maybe you're right. I think I ought to talk to that basher too. I'd say maybe he'll give me more of the dark, but if his brain-box is missing some memories... worth a try, I reckon. Because I'm a soft-hearted berk who won't learn from his mistakes."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Earl of Purple wrote: May 10, 2023 2:00 pm "I would, actually. It's very much a doable thing. It's just not easy, and it's rarely certain. Unless you go to the effort of levelling the mountain, except this wasn't a mountain. It was a cliff. And no matter what, you're left with rubble and ruin. And here, I'll tell you where it is if you don't think it's much trouble." The Azra pulls out a piece of paper and jots down a rather crude map, before rolling it up and hitting it against the table. When she unrolls it, the map is far more accurate and well-marked. "Why don't you go investigate it? There's plenty of treasure left, I reckon. We took as much as we could carry out, not all of it." Cankerbert coughs, and spits a gold ring to the floor.
Zefir is a bit upset that she judges his skills at demolishing, but he calms himself as he remembers how long they know each other. He looks over the map.
"If I knew more about the material, it's not that hard. Such buildings in cliffs or mountains allways have the downside of tons of rocks above them. Still making it 100% destroyed is a tougth task." he says. "Maybe I will. Some adventuring wouldn't hurt. Not that I have much other things to do."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Sandels downs his second drink. "Well it sounds like you're headed to the same direction. So what are you waiting for? Shoo! Shoo!" He gestures for Michalsons and Lia to get up and leave.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"Granite, I think, and it wasn't carved. The tunnels were created using magic, vaporising stone instead of tunnelling using pickaxes or chisels or whatever. Anywhere that is easy to collapse would have done as part of its construction." If that helps Zefir much.

The map is of an area in Outside; if Zefir decides to try it, the Blood Tombs would be the appropriate location tag.

quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Lia sniffs in annoyance at the shooing, but stands up regardless. Shrugging at Michalson, she gestures to the exit.

"Seems we're headed in the same direction. If you don't know the way that's fine, I remember it well enough. Let's go." And with that she leaves, casting a last somewhat troubled glance at Sandels as she does.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Earl of Purple wrote: May 15, 2023 12:16 pm "Granite, I think, and it wasn't carved. The tunnels were created using magic, vaporising stone instead of tunnelling using pickaxes or chisels or whatever. Anywhere that is easy to collapse would have done as part of its construction." If that helps Zefir much.

The map is of an area in Outside; if Zefir decides to try it, the Blood Tombs would be the appropriate location tag.
"Wow. That makes it a lot easier." There should be enougth instable spots now especialy since it has been unused or not maintained for years. Most of the walls won't have as much support as any build in will have.

"Well does sound easier then i thought. Still you met anything else other then a blood elemental or gold coins? Something dangerouse for one person."
Morty

Post by Morty »

Hraithre wrote: May 15, 2023 7:52 am Sandels downs his second drink. "Well it sounds like you're headed to the same direction. So what are you waiting for? Shoo! Shoo!" He gestures for Michalsons and Lia to get up and leave.
quillpleasant wrote: May 16, 2023 4:15 am Lia sniffs in annoyance at the shooing, but stands up regardless. Shrugging at Michalson, she gestures to the exit.

"Seems we're headed in the same direction. If you don't know the way that's fine, I remember it well enough. Let's go." And with that she leaves, casting a last somewhat troubled glance at Sandels as she does.
Michalson gives a heavy sigh, gravid with weariness and anticipation that the next encounter might not go any better than this one.

"Aye. Let's go. Just take it slow. My leg isn't what it used to be."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

There are flint mines in England, Belgium and Poland radiocarbon dated to over four thousand years ago thanks to broken antlers used as pickaxes and left behind by workers with tunnels that are still intact. Grime's Graves in Norfolk, Krzemionki near Ostrowiec Świętokrzyski and Spiennes near Mons. That's in chalk, a softer and more soluble rock than granite. Tunnels don't need maintenance like above-ground buildings, or those dug into soil do.

"The blood elemental would have drowned Silverwhistle if she were alone, so that's dangerous. There was a skeleton with an axe that kept reforming, but Cankerbert smashed its skull so it should be handled. Some vampiric shadows as well, we scared those off with holy light. Really, it's hard to say. We didn't get that far in, there was plenty of gold in the room with the blood elemental." Might be stuff they didn't see, or which the group looked powerful enough to intimidate into hiding without ever becoming aware that there was something there.

Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

"Wow! That actually worked. I half-expected we were getting pranked," says the tourist that just walked through the front door of Trog's Tavern. It's pretty easy to tell that she's a tourist for several very clear reasons.

Mostly it's the attire.

She's wearing a loud floral button up shirt. Also a pair of really tacky flamingo pink sunglasses. And of course khaki shorts. And some sandals with long socks. A rather... retro-archaic camera is hanging around her neck. Like it was cobbled together from technology harvested from several different sources. And this is rounded out by the straw hat on her head that jitters slightly every now and again like there's something under it trying to get out.

The woman herself is a bit on the plain side. Fair complexion, a poofy mane of brown hair that her hat is tenaciously clinging to. Striking blue eyes and a distinctly care-free expression with more than a little wonder sprinkled on top. Though the fact that she's got a blue-furred lion's tail sticking out of her pants betrays the fact that there's SOMETHING odd about her. Though, given the fact that tavern is filled with a wide range of unusual patrons a woman with a feline tail is FAR from the weirdest thing here.

She is not, however, alone. Also with her, clocking in at about the size of a large dog, is a dragon! A purple-scaled dragon with a long sinuous neck, iridescent insectile wings like a dragonfly, and a deeply mischievous smirk on her face. "See, I told you!" the dragon pipes up in a voice EXACTLY like one would expect from a child who just triumphantly proved a parent incorrect. "No one that funny could be untrustworthy!"

By way of celebration for her much lauded correctness, the havoc dragon dances in a little circle around her BEST FRIEND.

"Turning all the chairs into cottage cheese was a little suspicious," the tourist points out.
"But it had honey in it so it was okay," the dragon counters.
"The outfit she gave me to blend in is a bit odd," she adds, tugging at her shirt.
"It's colorful!" the dragon enthuses. "I like the flowers."
"And telling us to walk through a broom closet that we didn't have before to reach a magical land of wonders was definitely strange," the woman concludes.
"But it worked! Look how wondrous it is here! There are so many people! And so different! And-" sniff sniff. "AND!" SNIFF! "I smell something really good!"

The dragon goes bounding over to the counter, standing up on her hind legs and putting her paws atop it, craning her long neck this way and that gaze at all the things! But soon she spies THE THING! "Oh! That! I want that those aren't cookies what are those?"

She spotted the brownies.

"Well howdy! Welcome to Trog's Tavern!" comes Zee's greeting from behind the counter, flashing a friendly smile at the dragon who of course smiles back and makes a buzzing purring sort of noise. "You two must be new since I haven't ever seen you before. I'm Zee, the innkeeper. And those!"

Zee gestures dramatically at the brownies.

The dragon gasps dramatically at Zee gesturing dramatically at the brownies.

"Are brownies!"

"I need them! Please? Oh! I'm Aivu! The bravest and most beautiful havoc dragon in all of Elysium. And that's my sidekick, Eu, who accompanies me on all my adventures!"
Zee raises an eyebrow at the woman. "Sidekick?"
"That is definitely the nature of our relationship," Eu says as she sits down on one of the bar-stools and playfully spins it around. "One brownie for my ravenous scaly child here-"
She pats Aivu on the head, who blows a raspberry at her.
"And I'll try the court of the stars salad? That sounds whimsical."

"Coming right up!"

The brownie is devoured before it even touches the plate. The salad takes a little longer to make. Eu spins on her stool again, holding her camera up to her face and snapping a few photos of the tavern as it goes whizzing by.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Tourist Trap
Okay fine it's not a trap.

One of the regular patrons of the tavern is a lot stranger looking than the newcomer, and maybe even stranger than her dragon sidekick. The horned, winged, red-skinned woman with a ball of flame above her head very clearly demonic, with, to supernatural senses, an extremely powerful aura, seems to be here to talk to one of the waitresses, a half-drow with a white streak through her hair, and, coincidentally, also a lion tail. "... I know. But what if they won't repent? What do I... Eeek!" At the newcomer's appearance, she suddenly sits bolt upright and looks as if greatly frightened. "Calm down. It's just a tourist," the waitress puts a hand on the demon's shoulder.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Eu's rapidly spinning camera (or her best friend, now that she has devoured her brownies) will probably get many shots of the ancient architecture of Trog's and its many colorful denizens. Options array themselves like pathways in a dungeon.

Like that mustachio'd dragon-man with a fancy golden bracelet that radiates celestial energy, frowning at an issue of Dragon FASHION Magazine.

Or that spooky chubby shark trying to cool off desperately with ice from his drink when no one's looking even though the area around him is noticeably colder.

Or that really big wolf-man also wearing a loud shirt and khaki shorts chatting with a little purple mote floating around his head.

Or that big sphinx wearing a t-shirt, flipping through a book of riddles.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Tourist Trap]

OR IS IT!?

Clearly someone convinced Eu to check this place out and just as clearly Aivu badgered her into being convinced on the off chance that this strange new world might offer strange new cookies.

Speaking of.

"Orf ohm nom nom!"

She seems to be really enjoying those brownies.

Eu, meanwhile, pauses her spinning when the camera comes to rest on Sekhmet because wow that's a look alright. One she's seen sooort of similar to in the past? Not exactly. But when you get definitely not banished to the Abyss for absolutely not making a monarch look bad in front of her subordinates you tend to meet some interesting demons. And/or you die horribly. But Eu mostly avoided the dying horribly part so it all worked out in the end! There were some songs! And friends made! And pruned some carnivorous plants! And she got to grow a tree in the middle of a slave market that's now a nice garden instead of a slave market! All in all a pretty solid use of a few weeks slash half a year because time is sometimes a polite suggestion in the primordial maelstrom of evil and chaos.

"Don't mind me!" Eu calls out. "I know my attire is incredibly fearsome but I come in peace."

Her attire is not fearsome and she probably comes in peace. Maybe.

"You aren't a demon lord, are you?"
she asks in a one hundred percent conversational voice of Sekhmet. "Because you've got that vibe. In spite of the eeking. That's not a common pairing? Eeeking and demon lording. I've got it on good authority that demon lords don't typically eek. That authority is me. Since you're the first maybe demon lord I've met that eeks."

Aivu is ABOUT to make a comment in regards to this, having just finished her brownie, but then she realizes that there are SO MANY people here that she decides that- no. She has to bug someone. Having just arrived she hasn't had any opportunity to come up with any good pranks yet but the vacation is young and they'll probably never see most of these people ever again and so it would be a shame not to come up with some great pranks to play and then gallop away laughing.

Like!

That dragon guy! Wow! He's so big is he a half dragon?
That shark guy! Wow! He's ALSO so big and he's definitely not a half dragon!
That wolf guy! Wow! He's STILL SO BIG and he's talking to a glowing bug or something!
And a sphinx. But those are pretty pedestrian by now in Aivo's estimation even though ugallu insist really LOUDLY that they aren't sphinxes and calling them that gets their goat every single time.

The young havoc dragon begins pointing at the first three LARGE GUYS in turn, singing a little song and shifting her tail at each word to help her decide which one looks like they would be the most fun to prank.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Tourist Trap
The demon lord stammers and looks fearful. "I, uh, don't suppose I could convince you I'm a normal human?" As she says this, she changes shape, her unusual features disappearing and her skin paling to a natural hue until, to the naked eye, she appears human. Her aura still reveals her nature. "You, uh, understand if I'm a little nervous around gods." The aura sense goes both ways. "Are you going to...?" "I'll, uh, be fine, I think. Just a bit, uh, of a shock." The "human" takes a step back and gives a polite curtsy. "I'm, uh, Sekhmet." Newcomers to the Nexus probably haven't heard of her, but she was newsworthy for a little while.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The big dragon is taller than the shark but around the same height as the wolf. Not the same kind of big as either though.
He's pretty thoroughly distracted by his magazine, frowning as he turns the page. His mustaches blow in a wind that isn't present.

The shark guy also seems pretty distracted, sipping his cold drink. He's pretty spooky with his glowing eyes. Which is belied pretty immediately by his neon slushy and spider silk shirt.

The wolf guy definitely noticed the havoc dragon singing at pointing at him. He's moved his head a little to look at her.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Tourist Trap]

"That depends. Do you know who makes the best candied dates or fig-cakes around here? Because if you're privy to that information I might be willing to be convinced that you're actually a mortal who just happens to have the celestial mountain horns going on by pure happenstance," Eu replies, miming a pair of curving horns above her head by way of explanation.

She flashes a mischievous and totally faux oblivious smile.

"And not really? I mean, every time I've known a demon lord to interact with a divinity of any kind they acted like an overly aggressive arrogant blowhard. I don't think most of them can help it. There's definitely something different about you, though. You kinda remind me of one of my friends,"
she observes, stroking her chin thoughtfully. "If you and she were in a 'being shy and standing around awkwardly' contest I'm not totally sure who I would bet on to win. That matches pretty well with the eeking, though."

A beat.

"Wait, are you saying you think I'm a god? Haha. That's obviously wrong. I'm a tourist. Can't you tell from the shirt? No divinity or mythic power or-"
-an ethereal aquamarine butterfly slips out from under her hat, fluttering around and leaving a trail of glittering dust behind it. That doesn't last long before Eu snags it and shoves it under the hat again-
"-anything like that. Obviously. Just a regular... butterfly infested mortal, yes ma'am. Freak butterfly accident as a child. Sometimes bees follow me around, too. Very tragic and mysterious and not godly. Have you ever tried confronting a bunch of evil cultists when you have glowing butterflies following you around? No on takes you seriously. I'm just here to see the sights and take some pictures."

That was... not terribly convincing.

"Sekhmet. Like lion-headed goddess of war and healing Sekhmet? Huh. I wouldn't have expected people to be wise to the Osirian pantheon around here but sure, why not?"
she replies with a shrug. "I'm Eu. Not like... You. Like you as opposed to me. Or Ewe like a female sheep. Eu like eusocial. As in 'Good'. That sort of Eu."

Another beat.

"So! Now that introductions are out of the way to mind if I take a picture with you? You haven't tried to kill me, use me for an evil plot, or corrupt me yet and that's absolutely a record,"
Eu says, hefting her camera with one hand.

While that nonsense is going on over here-
-some OTHER nonsense is going on over THERE.

The young havoc dragon decides that her best bet here is to caaaaarefully peek over the dragon guy's shoulder to find out what he's reading. And maybe tie a ribbon to his mustache or-

Oh.

Oh no.

She doesn't make it very far.

Because she spots the dragon man's LUXURIOUS and FLUFFY tail.

Very, very carefully she sneaks up behind him and with a deeply skilled practice in slight of claw she pulls several delicate silver bells out of the packs fixed to her sides and begins to try covertly tying the bells to G'Nichi's tail.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G’nichi does not appear to have noticed the havoc dragon.

However, a few seconds into her prank, there is a terrible complication!
G’nichi’s tail flicks away at being touched.
Kara and the yeth hounds are always trying to tie things to his tail and he’s gotten into the habit of doing that at the slightest sensation. Especially in here and at home. Even if he doesn’t consciously realize he’s doing it.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Oh no!

A twitchy flicky tail!

These are the HARDEST type of tail to tie things to. Which means Aivu is going to have to muster every ounce of her cunning and guile to craft a master plan that will allow her to accomplish her very, very important plan! Maybe magic? She knows some magic! Pretty much all happy healy encouraging sorts of magic. But-

BUT!

They're incognito!

Eu used that trick she learned from that inevitable that tried to steal some of their power and seal it away forever and ever and ever to set aside most of their power so it can stay back home in Enigma and take care of boring things while they're HERE having fun on vacation! Which means actually she hasn't got ANY magic!

Terrible.

Oh! Oh oh oh oh that's a great plan she just thought of.

The little havoc dragon gently pets the big dragon man's tail. "Your tail is so pretty do you mind if I pet it?" she asks, having already pet it. When the dragon guy looks at her Aivu will put on her very best cute little dragon pleading face that's just absolutely impossible to say no to.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

G'nichi turns and sets his magazine down on the table.
"You can pet it a little if you don't pull at it." G'nichi finally says with a sigh.
Why is it that if he's not attracting trouble he seems to attract children after his tail?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

The cute little pleading face quickly gives way to a cute little joyful face.

"I won't!" Aivu promises, stroking her claws through the long silky luxurious tail fur-
-with bells palmed in her paws, of course.

Hopefully the great big dragon guy won't notice them until it's too late.

"How did you get such a fluffy tail it's so soft! Not even tough or bristly," the little havoc dragon observes. She's pretty sure if she can keep this guy talking it'll be less likely that he'll notice her prank in progress.