Trog's Tavern: Roman Numerals Are Dumb

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
ForTheGnomes
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Re: Trog's Tavern: Roman Numerals Are Dumb

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Jan 19, 2023 12:36 am "Diffusing them sounds like a good start." Olvisin pokes the diffuser with a metallic finger. "See what they're made of before blending them together."
"Okay then. To use the diffuser, you must first prepare it by stuffing one of the cylinders with a moderate amount of whatever you're diffusing." Jerick pulls out one of the metal cylinders and shoves a handful of the leaves into it. He then puts it back into the machine with a clank. "Now you gotta seal it so that nothing leaks out while the diffuser is working." He pulls out a blowtorch and starts heating up the top of the cylinder. "And finally, you turn it on and wait for something to happen." Jerick presses a button on top of the machine, and it hummed to life. The ten cylinders began to spin, speeding up until only a high-pitched whirring could be heard.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

"Yeah, this isn't my first time in a lab." Olvisin looks around. "Or... something like a lab. I've worked in weirder places than a tavern room."
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Jan 20, 2023 7:13 pm "Yeah, this isn't my first time in a lab." Olvisin looks around. "Or... something like a lab. I've worked in weirder places than a tavern room."
"Well, I just assumed you haven't used something like this, being from a different universe and all that. But now that I think of it, I'm sure you'll be able to figure out my contraptions, being used to being from a different universe." After a moment, the cylinders stop spinning and Jerick pulls out all of them, then pries off the lids. Inside each one, there was a different thing. One had a viscous neon-green fluid. Another had a black powder that smelled like rotten flesh. "Well, this is interesting..."
Morty

Post by Morty »

Olvisin sniffs the air and grimaces.

"That's not how a plant should smell. And I don't remember any plants that would glow like that. Not even down in our tunnels."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Thursday Violist wrote: Jan 19, 2023 10:28 pm The woman laughs.
"That was pretty clever," she says. "Not only are you mysterious, but you're also funny. Got the 'tall, dark' part of 'tall dark and handsome' down already, too." Just needs to reveal his face to see if he's the ideal romance novel character.

The more this guy talks, the more she desperately wants to see his face to see if he actually is as handsome as she's imagining.

She turns her head to show the profile of her face. "Sadly, I"m not Trog, nor do I own this place. But you have to admit, I look like him, right?"
No, she does not look like Trog.
Like, at all.

But, she's really happy. It's been a long time since she's just been able to joke around with someone like this. Even if this doesn't go anywhere, she'd be satisfied.

The half-succubus woman pulls out the chair at an angle to face the mysterious man better, then sits. Then crosses her legs. "So, important question: when you first meet someone, are you the type of guy who's more likely to kiss them on the cheek or on the hand?" she asks.
The man doesn t look up to much and she might not catch him looking as she shows her profile.

"You are right i can t deny the simularities. Only that you got the good looks." He obviously jokes and even his voice sounds like he just jokes around.

For her other question he seems to think for a moment. "Neither" he finally replies. "I leave the right answer to your imagination. So what type are you then? Are you the one who uses your aura to attract attention or do you just sit next to them without telling your name?"
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

"Oh. That sounds... great?" Gaul says, a little confused. Partially because, from what he understands about evil spirits, wiping them out seems like an impossibility, and partially because it doesn't actually sound like something he would be excited to hear. Of course, their situations are different.

"Do I want to ask what he could've done to cause them to discontinue evil spirits? ...ah, well, I'd be lying if I said I didn't." Gaul admits.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Zefir wrote: Jan 23, 2023 1:01 am The man doesn t look up to much and she might not catch him looking as she shows her profile.

"You are right i can t deny the simularities. Only that you got the good looks." He obviously jokes and even his voice sounds like he just jokes around.

For her other question he seems to think for a moment. "Neither" he finally replies. "I leave the right answer to your imagination. So what type are you then? Are you the one who uses your aura to attract attention or do you just sit next to them without telling your name?"

The half-succubus lady nods. Clearly, he's right.
"Oh, don't worry. I'm a sucker for attention. Love it when everybody has their eyes on me," she says. She stretches, and then finishes stretching by leaning forward, trying to draw this mystery man's attention to her even more. "Definitely. I live for the attention."

She pauses.

The lady looks to the side.
"It's Caramel," she answers.
She looks back at him. "But call me Mel. Sweet like honey, I like it better."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Gold wrote: Jan 23, 2023 8:54 pm "Oh. That sounds... great?" Gaul says, a little confused. Partially because, from what he understands about evil spirits, wiping them out seems like an impossibility, and partially because it doesn't actually sound like something he would be excited to hear. Of course, their situations are different.

"Do I want to ask what he could've done to cause them to discontinue evil spirits? ...ah, well, I'd be lying if I said I didn't." Gaul admits.
"Yes. What did I do?", Hoshiki asks. He sounds more... anguished than angry, now. A bit desperate, even.

"Oh, what's the matter? Don't you remember?", the armored man asks. His tone tells he knows full well the swordsman doesn't.

Hoshiki shakes his head. "It's not something I can help. Is that somehow my fault, since you insist on mocking me for it?"

The armored man laughs darkly. "Of course it's not your fault. It's mine."

Hoshiki reaches and grabs the man by the collar. The steel crumples in his grasp like cloth. "Oh? Then what did you do?"

The armored man's eyes remain defiant, but Gaul can tell he's hanging powerlessly in the swordsman's grip. "I simply pushed you on the path so you'd live up to your name, Hoshiko."

There's a crunching sound as the swordsman squuezes harder. "Hoshiki. Hoshiko's a girl's name."

The armored man puts a gauntleted hand on the swordsman's wrist and cranks his head to right, to get himself some room to breathe. "Urk. If you want to correct me, Hoshiko, at least use your full name."
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Jan 21, 2023 12:51 am Olvisin sniffs the air and grimaces.

"That's not how a plant should smell. And I don't remember any plants that would glow like that. Not even down in our tunnels."
"Well, I'd say we start with the glowing green fluid. I normally start with the gases, then move to the liquids, then solids. If there's electromatter in it, then that goes first." Electromatter seemed to be Jerick's word for plasma. "But, in this case, there's no gases or electromatter to study and experiment on, so I start with the fluids. Mind if you see what the other fluid does?" Jerick points at one of the cylinders, this one filled with a black, tar like substance that didn't really smell of anything at all.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Olvisin picks up the cylinder and opens it, then carefully peers inside.

"It looks like tar. Doesn't smell. What do we have that can take a closer look?"
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Jan 25, 2023 6:51 pm Olvisin picks up the cylinder and opens it, then carefully peers inside.

"It looks like tar. Doesn't smell. What do we have that can take a closer look?"
"Well, I have these goggles." Jerick points to the goggles he was wearing and seems to always be wearing. "Thanks to having multiple lenses, they allow me to see things up to 200 meters away with perfect clarity, and as a result if you look at something up close, you can see very clearly at 100x magnification. Among other things." Jerick pulled an extra pair out of a pouch near the top of his bandolier. "I always carry an extra pair in case one breaks, but you can use it right now." As he slid the extra pair of goggles to Olvisin, he put down a shimmering purple lens over his left eye and closed his right eye. "Definite necrotic energy emanating from this liquid...
Morty

Post by Morty »

"That's a neat gadget alright. My sister would do a lot to get her hands on one of those." Olvisin puts on the goggles. "Now let's take a look..." She leans over the black substance with the magnification on.
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Jan 25, 2023 10:41 pm "That's a neat gadget alright. My sister would do a lot to get her hands on one of those." Olvisin puts on the goggles. "Now let's take a look..." She leans over the black substance with the magnification on.
"Okay, so this liquid seems to be holding the power that changed the fire. Now the question is what made the new fire so powerful, because simply changing the electromatter to necrotic energy won't give it a strong enough heat to evaporate things in an instant. What have you found out about the tar?" Jerick raised the purple lens back up and looked up at Olvisin.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Someone enters the bar. She's an androgynous figure, with short black hair and grey eyes, wearing a green chequered shirt and a pair of jeans with hiking boots on her feet. She's got a black satchel thrown over her shoulder, a stylised crow embroidered on the flap. She looks around before sitting near the door and ordering a glass of lemonade.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Morty

Post by Morty »

ForTheGnomes wrote: Jan 25, 2023 11:08 pm "Okay, so this liquid seems to be holding the power that changed the fire. Now the question is what made the new fire so powerful, because simply changing the electromatter to necrotic energy won't give it a strong enough heat to evaporate things in an instant. What have you found out about the tar?" Jerick raised the purple lens back up and looked up at Olvisin.
"It seems to be what held the whole substance together." Olvisin is peering intently at the tar. "A binding agent of some kind. Maybe they caused the liquid to adhere to the leaves? Could be what made the reaction stronger, too."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Thursday Violist wrote: Jan 23, 2023 11:56 pm The half-succubus lady nods. Clearly, he's right.
"Oh, don't worry. I'm a sucker for attention. Love it when everybody has their eyes on me," she says. She stretches, and then finishes stretching by leaning forward, trying to draw this mystery man's attention to her even more. "Definitely. I live for the attention."

She pauses.

The lady looks to the side.
"It's Caramel," she answers.
She looks back at him. "But call me Mel. Sweet like honey, I like it better."
"It appears we are opposing forces." he replies. "I like to stay out of everyones main attention. It's just to bothersome. No Privacy at all."

The man just shifts on his seat obviously not comfortable, but mostly because of the chair.

"Hello Miss Caramel, I am Reedon." He makes a gesture, tipping at his forehead or were it should be under the coat and then down just like he draws a hat he obviously don't have and much likly doesn't wear under the coat.

"From what you say I guess your here for the attention?"
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

Gaul jumps in his seat a little when Hoshiki grabs the armoured man's collar. The better part of him wants to try and talk them down, but the side that wants to see this reach its natural conclusion is ultimately what prevails.

"Why Hoshiko?" Gaul asks, after a dry swallow and a moment of hesitation. Maybe he should buy himself another drink.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Well, something's changed. Last time the two men were about to jump at each others' throats, Gaul literally cut the tension between them.

Hoshiki narrows his eyes. "My full name is Star of Hope Shines Eternal in the Pitch-Black Universe. What about it? Are you satisfied, now that I've said it aloud?"

"Ah yes, Star of Hope", the armored man repeats, "the shining light showing the path to a better tomorrow. And wouldn't tomorrow be better, if there were no evil spirits?"

Hoshiki does not answer. The question, he feels, is directed to Gaul more than him, if it is an honest question in the first place.

"It's all too easy to presume the way things have been, is how they will be", the arnored man continues, "all too easy to, say, think that because Reapers have fought evil spirits for ages, that it must always be so. Especially tragic when it is Reapers themselves thinking that way. But what if the never-ending battle had an end?"
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Jan 27, 2023 12:26 am "It seems to be what held the whole substance together." Olvisin is peering intently at the tar. "A binding agent of some kind. Maybe they caused the liquid to adhere to the leaves? Could be what made the reaction stronger, too."
"Okay, so. It seems like the tar and the fluid are two of the primary components to the leaves. Perhaps the powder is the actual solid plant matter." He puts down a lens, this time a magnifying one, and peers into the cylinder containing the black, rotten-flesh-scented powder. "Yup. Definitely the actual plant matter itself. But it's dead, whereas it was alive before we separated the components. Maybe the necrotic fluid kept it alive somehow?"
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Zefir wrote: Jan 27, 2023 8:58 am "It appears we are opposing forces." he replies. "I like to stay out of everyones main attention. It's just to bothersome. No Privacy at all."

The man just shifts on his seat obviously not comfortable, but mostly because of the chair.

"Hello Miss Caramel, I am Reedon." He makes a gesture, tipping at his forehead or were it should be under the coat and then down just like he draws a hat he obviously don't have and much likly doesn't wear under the coat.

"From what you say I guess your here for the attention?"

Mel laughs.

"I wonder what's stronger, your ability to stay out of attention or mine to draw attention," she says.

She bites her lip.
"Actually, I came here to play poker." She gestures with her head back in the direction she had come from before talking with him. "But...I wasn't really doing that well. Are you any good at poker?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

ForTheGnomes wrote: Jan 28, 2023 9:11 pm "Okay, so. It seems like the tar and the fluid are two of the primary components to the leaves. Perhaps the powder is the actual solid plant matter." He puts down a lens, this time a magnifying one, and peers into the cylinder containing the black, rotten-flesh-scented powder. "Yup. Definitely the actual plant matter itself. But it's dead, whereas it was alive before we separated the components. Maybe the necrotic fluid kept it alive somehow?"
"Maybe. Can there be undead plants?" Olvisin wonders aloud. "We could apply it to more freshly dead plants and see what happens."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Thursday Violist wrote: Jan 30, 2023 5:25 am Mel laughs.

"I wonder what's stronger, your ability to stay out of attention or mine to draw attention," she says.

She bites her lip.
"Actually, I came here to play poker." She gestures with her head back in the direction she had come from before talking with him. "But...I wasn't really doing that well. Are you any good at poker?"
"From my point yours. Otherwise you wouldn't have noticed me at all." he relies.

He looks at the direction she came from and takes a few moments to guess the game. He doesn't seem to recognize it .

"I don't think I am good at it. I'm not even sure I played it, but it seems difficult and involves a lot of money, which I don't have."
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Zefir wrote: Feb 02, 2023 1:18 pm "From my point yours. Otherwise you wouldn't have noticed me at all." he relies.

He looks at the direction she came from and takes a few moments to guess the game. He doesn't seem to recognize it .

"I don't think I am good at it. I'm not even sure I played it, but it seems difficult and involves a lot of money, which I don't have."

Reedon makes a good point.
If he was amazing at being unnoticed then she wouldn't have noticed him.
And Mel can't think of a counterargument.

"Oh, don't worry, Poker's pretty easy," she says, waving dismissively.
Then, she remembers how badly she was losing.
"Well, I mean, it's supposedly pretty easy. You try to make better matches than the other people while tricking them. Um....like, if I have really good cards I'd try to make you think I have bad cards so that you'll bet more. But if I have bad cards, I'll try to make you think I have good cards so you'll give up. Basically, just a game of deception. Which, apparently, I'm bad at. Because I keep on losing."

Mel pouts and leans her head against her hand.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Reedon and his arguments are very straight it seems.

"So it's a game of getting attention and drawing it to make the others make false concusions about your cards? Sounds for me like you need to be in their attention and then switch your intentions as you need them. Stay unpredictable if you like.
If your not good at it I don't think I can be. Especially when money is involved. I never hat enougth to play around with it."

"Anything else you do that isn't that risky?"
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Feb 02, 2023 11:44 am "Maybe. Can there be undead plants?" Olvisin wonders aloud. "We could apply it to more freshly dead plants and see what happens."
"Yes, that sounds like a wonderful idea. But first, we need to know what this plant does. We know that it strengthens fire but what else? Hmmm... Yes that might have a result." Jerick takes a vial filled with an orange fluid out of his bandolier, opens it, and dumps the contents on the floor, charring it and making a small hole. He takes two of the leaves and stuffs them into the now empty vial and pours a clear fluid into the vial before closing it again.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"The undead I'm familiar with aren't fond of fire." Olvisin watches Jerick work carefully. "But then, I'm told they burn easily, so maybe it adds up. What are you testing it with?"
ForTheGnomes

Post by ForTheGnomes »

Morty wrote: Feb 06, 2023 12:09 am "The undead I'm familiar with aren't fond of fire." Olvisin watches Jerick work carefully. "But then, I'm told they burn easily, so maybe it adds up. What are you testing it with?"
"Acid. Dragon acid specifically. To make the stuff, you gotta find a black dragon, harvest some its raw acid, then dilute all the nasty stuff out of it, like saliva, bits of flesh, and especially all the poisons and diseases that are usually present, leaving you with an exceptionally potent crystal-clear acid." The leaves in the acid seemed to be disintegrating because of the acid, but they seemed to be regenerating, slowly but still enough to make sure they didn't completely fall apart. "Some kind of healing factor, it seems. This connects with the fact that the leaves I threw in the fire were still intact when I smothered it."
Morty

Post by Morty »

"You also need to avoid being eaten by the dragon," Olvisin points out. "Before coming here I thought dragons were a fairy tale. A healing factor? This could have some medical applications if we isolated it."
[brackets lover]
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by [brackets lover] »

Suddenly, as if it had been conjured up out of nowhere, a flaming object no bigger than the average human crashed through the ceiling of the bar. As expected, it let out an accompanying shockwave as it collided with the floor, leaving a crater with a diameter twice as large as itself.

The object, it seemed, was a little girl with light brown hair in a black hoodie and jeans, face down in the crater and snoring peacefully. She had an aura of light surrounding her and the flames generated from her descent showed no signs of dying down, yet didn't spread particularly quickly.
Morty

Post by Morty »

The sudden arrival of a fast-traveling downward object seems to have attracted attention. Specifically, from a woman in simple, work-stained clothes of a physical laborer, her hair green and her arms muscular and adorned with tattoos. She looks up from the large bottle of rice wine she was in the process of drinking.

"Huh. That's a new one. Or maybe not, given this place. Hey, kid. You okay?" She walks over, heedless of the flames.