Trog's Tavern: Roman Numerals Are Dumb

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Ember
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Trog's Tavern: Roman Numerals Are Dumb

Post by Ember »

Hraithre wrote: Oct 22, 2022 8:39 am The gargoyle is, ugly, winged, made of clay from the appearance of it, and about the size of a halfling child. Or, well that's how the detective would describe it - the gargoyle itself has never me a halfling and doesn't know if Rhaka has either. If the sorcerer can see spiritual auras herself, she might see a light blue glow in the gargoyle's eyes. "Don't know what you mean by conjured. Mister detective here didn't make me, exactly. He found the parts and put them together. I agree this body is very unfashionable, but I can't blame him for it."
Morty wrote: Oct 23, 2022 6:54 pm "Aye, it was the best one I had on hand at the time." Michalson nods. "Bunny's current corporeal arrangement is temporary. Until such a time as we can find or make her a proper body."
"Fascinating. Akin to a voidsent seeking a vessel, only without all of the..." Rhaka's face scrunches up, like she'd just been hit by the smell of week-old chicken grease. "...unpleasantness."

She tilts her head at Bunny, with more curiosity. "If the only obstacle is a lack of proper corporeal form, will any automaton suit? I imagine a form with greater freedom of movement would be more to your liking. A machine akin to the ancient sentries I once examined, perhaps."
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

Fenric wrote: Oct 25, 2022 8:23 pm Fenric chuckles

I don't know that I count as famous, or that you ought to recognize me: I'm just old. I first came here on the third day after Trog built it... ooh... a bit over sixteen years ago now. Name's Fenric, by the way: nice to meet you.
Fenric. No, that doesn't seem to ring a bell.
"Honeysuckle. Nice t'meetcha. too." the vixen says, sweeping her tails to one side.

"Were things much different back then?"
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Gold wrote: Oct 27, 2022 1:51 pm "Well, the way I see it, if you meet someone, and they're not an enemy, they're a friend." Gaul answers.

"And I have a propensity for making enemies, and I'm guessing you two do too," Gaul adds, gesturing to Hoshiki and the armoured man, "so I like to have all the companionship I can get just to even the score a little. Y'know?"
"Proper friendship takes a bit longer to establish than that", Hoshiki remarks. He may have had to compromise on that due to being a stranger in a strange land, and saying it aloud is a harrowing reminder that none of his old friends are around anymore.

"Agreed", the armored man says, "which is why he asked." He nods towards Hoshiki while talking to Gaul. "If you were my friend, it would imply you've associated with me for some time. Which would reflect badly on you, because I'm..."

"... a thief", Hoshiki finishes his sentence.
Morty wrote: Oct 23, 2022 6:54 pm "Aye, it was the best one I had on hand at the time." Michalson nods. "Bunny's current corporeal arrangement is temporary. Until such a time as we can find or make her a proper body."
Ember wrote: Oct 27, 2022 3:38 pm "Fascinating. Akin to a voidsent seeking a vessel, only without all of the..." Rhaka's face scrunches up, like she'd just been hit by the smell of week-old chicken grease. "...unpleasantness."

She tilts her head at Bunny, with more curiosity. "If the only obstacle is a lack of proper corporeal form, will any automaton suit? I imagine a form with greater freedom of movement would be more to your liking. A machine akin to the ancient sentries I once examined, perhaps."
"In theory any vessel in shape of a living thing would work", Bunny says rather anxiously, "but I'd rather just be a human." She glances very briefly at the other table where the knight, swordsman and a living cartoon are talking.
Fenric
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Fenric »

Recaiden wrote: Oct 28, 2022 3:00 am Fenric. No, that doesn't seem to ring a bell.
"Honeysuckle. Nice t'meetcha. too." the vixen says, sweeping her tails to one side.

"Were things much different back then?"
Fenric smiles

Smaller, for one: the place was just called "Town" and only really had one street. There was an assassin's guild and a mafia that constantly fought for control, and this building was destroyed regularly before there were enough powerful folks around to make it invulnerable. Let's see... the Nexus wasn't as "nexusy" back then: bit more consistency though that drifted quickly... come to think of it, a couple of really powerful reality-bending events are probably what set the place adrift. A couple of the greater mysteries of reality itself were regularly and openly discussed and mocked, that has completely fallen off over the years too.

And Zee here apparently destroyed the tentacle monster which haunted the tavern, so now it's save to declare yourself bored. Half-curious if the ancient incantation that summoned it in the first place still works or not... usually one can only banish minor servants of an Elder God, but Zee isn't your usual bartender so it may be well and fully gone.

He looks thoughtful

We went through an excessively lawful phase at one point, too, where everybody was suing each other and it made for a lot of annoyance and unwelcome drama. Glad that's over. But all in all, I stopped being a major "player" in the place about the time everyone had to have a fancy acronym for their organization and the city was renamed to Inside.

There's something odd about the way he says player.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Morty »

Michalson shrugs.

"It's up to Bunny what body she'd rather wear. I'm just helpin' her along. And keepin' an eye on her. There are details we're not at liberty to disclose. The Nexus, full of wonders as it is, might provide us with a human body no one else is usin' and which is therefore just waitin' for a passenger."
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

Gaul shrugs and smiles playfully. "Well, hey. If you're a bad enough dude that me talking to you really would change how people view me, that's just a standard-procedure controversy. I simply lay low on the social medias, release something flashy like a product teaser or a tribute to a dead guy who used our products, and by the end of the month it's a non-issue and everyone still bringing it up is whiny and needs to get a life."

"It worked the last time the public didn't like who I was befriending, and that time it was an evil shadow goddess's son who could take over people's bodies by stabbing them in the back. We still talk. Funny guy. Commission an artwork off him some time, he'll draw anything. So, the point is, you're fine." he adds, possibly unnecessarily.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Ember

Post by Ember »

Rhaka raises her visible eyebrow. "Really? A veritable ocean of choice, and that is yours?" Then, she shrugs as well. She isn't looking around at the other tables, but she certainly sees them. Or she will see them. Maybe she already did. "Well, I cannot force you to choose otherwise. I'm not your parent."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

The little gargoyle's eyes snap back towards Rhaka. If Bunny could blush, she would. "What's wrong with wanting to be a human?", she asks. "Even here, most people are human. Or at least humanoid. Sure, I could be a giant death robot or something, but that would not... uh, that could not be..." She lowers her eyes to the ground and mumbles something incoherent. Either she's at loss of words to say what she wanted, or it just too embarrassing to state clearly.

Back at the other table, Hoshiki eyes Gaul with suspicion. "Sounds to me like you have a history of questionable associates. I cannot force you to change your ways, but it would not hurt to be more... discerning."

"By which he means, he isn't worried about how some unnamed other people would view you", the armored man interjects with fake cheer, "he's worried I will screw you over..."

"Yes", Hoshiki says bluntly, turning to glare at the armored man.

"... which, I suppose, is perfectly rational, given I did take his purse..."

Hoshiki stands up, draws his sword and points towards the armored man. "Aha! So you admit to your thievery, rogue!"

"... but if I hadn't, it would've burned to ashes, along with a certain factory", the armored man continues, unperturbed, "besides, all the money went to a good cause."

Hoshiki snorts. "And what good cause would that be?"

The armored man picks up his beer again, takes a sip, then gestures towards the other table with the bottle. "Oh, freeing a slave. Ask him." He's pointing at Michalson.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Aye, nothin' wrong with bein' a human. It's a blank slate. Start out human, become anythin'. Me, I'm only half-human, but... never really felt in touch with my other half." He turns around, spotting someone pointing at him. What's this about?
Ember

Post by Ember »

Rhaka's eyebrow raised again as she looked at Bunny, before she broke into a small laughing fit. Goodness, for a statue, she was rather poor at disguising her feelings. "Ah, do pardon me. I've grown rather old, you see, and I'd very much forgotten such young desires. Never you mind my opinion."

Michalson's comment, though, makes her curious. "Half-human, you say? Another charming little quirk of your world, I assume?"
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

"Oh, man, you two are like an old married couple," Gaul chuckles quietly.

"Anyways, don't worry. I've been around a long time. So, unless the bullcrap you can pull can match the bullcrap I can pull, I think we'll be fine."

Gaul then calls over to the person the armoured man was pointing at. "You over there! Yeah, you! You know this guy?"
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Hoshiki turns to look at Michalson as well. He gives a side glance to the armored man, then sheathes his sword and walks towards the detective. "Excuse me, good sir. And lady." He bows to both Michalson and Rhaka. "Me and that man over there have a little quarrel over what happened to my money." He gestures towards the armored man. "He claimed it was used to free a slave. Is such a claim true?"

The little gargoyle is both glad and mortified by this digression. On one hand, she appreciates greatly the discussion has moved away from her. On the other, she really wanted to hear Michalson's answer to Rhaka's question. And on yet another - hey, some people in the tavern have three hands - the towering swordsman is an unwelcome blast from the past and a sign things could get very serious, very fast. So, before the swordsman pays her attention, the gargoyle quickly hides beneath the table again.
Morty

Post by Morty »

Michalson was about to answer the question when Hoshiki approaches. He gives the man a rather dumbfounded look.

"I haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about, cutter. I've never seen you or your money before. Or the basher in the armor."
Ember

Post by Ember »

Rhaka's little smile fades away at the interruption. Ah, it seems that no matter the world, pleasant conversations never last. She finally takes her first bite of her muffin, glancing between them with her uncovered eye. "In the strange chance that you need my input, I haven't the faintest of what happened to your coin."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

"I see. Thank you. And my apologies." Hoshiki gives Michalson and Rhaka slight bows again, then turns to return to his table.

Michalson can feel a slight tug at his leg. "The man in the armor. That's him. That's the Reaper who you brought in to exorcise me", Bunny whispers to the detective. She's referring to that shady "Sandels" character. Michalson is forgiven for not recognizing him - how could he have, through full body armor and a helmet? Indeed, one could question how did Bunny recognize him.

Michalson might also notice, as Hoshiki turns, that the swordsman's haori has a picture of a snake biting its own tail on the back. It is identical to the design "Sandels" had on the back of his leather jacket.

Back at the other table, Hoshiki resumes glaring at the armored man. "He didn't seem to know anything about it. I wonder what you hoped to gain with such a diversion."

The armored man waves his hand dismissively. "Give it a minute. He's a detective, he'll come around."
Morty

Post by Morty »

Michalson realizes what's going on as soon as Bunny says "the man in the armor". Right, of course. That Sandels berk. Now wearing a full-sized tin can for whatever reason.

"Hold up just a moment, cutter. Aye, I do know your friend, I think. We did free a slave together. Didn't know he was doin' it with nicked jink, though."
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

Gold scratches his head, not knowing what to make of the whole situation.

After a moment, he blinks and says "A little more context would be appreciated."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Hoshiki looks at Michalson over his shoulder. The armored man gestures at him excitedly. "See? What did I say!", the armored man notes, them chugs down the last of his beer.

Hoshiki looks back and forth between the armored man and the detective. "... I concur with him", he says, nodding towards Gaul, "some more context would be helpful."

The armored man scoffs. "What, finding it difficult to figure out why I would do such a thing? It's easy! Just imagine there was something in it for me."
Ember

Post by Ember »

Rhaka snorts, leaning back in her chair and picking up her glass of water, which is now full again somehow. Her visible eye flits toward the armored figure. "Does everyone in this world use so many words to say nothing of value?"
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

To the armoured man, Gaul says "That's respectable, but it doesn't really answer anything."

Gaul shrugs at Rhaka's question. "If so, they'd make great businessmen," he comments..
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Nah, that's just him," Michalson says to Rhaka before turning back to the others. "But if he's not goin' to give you the dark of it, I'll do it. My investigation required me to question a particular person, who was enslaved in Skyside. Made to fight in gladiator matches. This basher was lookin' for he as well. We teamed up and freed her. It did cost us some money, since we were pretendin' to be payin' customers."
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

"I heard that!", the armored man shouts to Rhaka, "I take it as a compliment!" Beneath the table, Bunny sighs. Of course he would.

Hoshiki ignores the exchange, keeping his eyes fixes on Michalson, weighing his words. "... O see. Thank yoy once more." His murderous feelings seemingly abated, the swordsman pulls up a chair and sits down opposite to the armored man. "I suppose I can forgive you for using my money for such purposes."

"Great!", the armored man exclaims and knocks on the table. "Case closed. So why you are still here?"

Those around might notice an uneasy look passing on Hoshiki's face as he leans back and crosses his arms. Either he's unsure of the answer or finding it difficult to put into words.

For his part, Michalson is excused and could resume his previous discussion with Rhaka. But he might want to keep an eye on these men.
Ember

Post by Ember »

Rhaka has a blank look on her face as she gives the armored man a properly condescending slow clap. "Congratulations, you heard something meant for your ears. I'm speechless at the accomplishment on display."

Having given that particular display the amount of her attention she felt it deserved, she returned to her previous conversation. "Now then. Half-human, I believe we were at?"
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

"Well, sounds like a good thing done in the end," Gaul says. He can excuse wage slavery, but he is very much against slavery slavery.

Gaul does look at Hoshiki, raising an eyebrow at his expression. Why, then, is he finding it so difficult to answer the question of what he's doing at a tavern?
Morty

Post by Morty »

Michalson does turn back to his conversation, but he's keeping a close eye on the others. One gets the impression he's skilled in dividing his attention and observing.

"Yes, that. I'm a half-human half-elf. My mother was an elf sorceress, or so I'm told. Never met her. I was raised by my dad and stepdad, both human. All I really got from her are my ears and my eyes." He waves his right hand at his face. It's an awkward motion; his hand is clearly not working right.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

Fenric wrote: Oct 28, 2022 1:49 pm Fenric smiles

Smaller, for one: the place was just called "Town" and only really had one street. There was an assassin's guild and a mafia that constantly fought for control, and this building was destroyed regularly before there were enough powerful folks around to make it invulnerable. Let's see... the Nexus wasn't as "nexusy" back then: bit more consistency though that drifted quickly... come to think of it, a couple of really powerful reality-bending events are probably what set the place adrift. A couple of the greater mysteries of reality itself were regularly and openly discussed and mocked, that has completely fallen off over the years too.

And Zee here apparently destroyed the tentacle monster which haunted the tavern, so now it's save to declare yourself bored. Half-curious if the ancient incantation that summoned it in the first place still works or not... usually one can only banish minor servants of an Elder God, but Zee isn't your usual bartender so it may be well and fully gone.

He looks thoughtful

We went through an excessively lawful phase at one point, too, where everybody was suing each other and it made for a lot of annoyance and unwelcome drama. Glad that's over. But all in all, I stopped being a major "player" in the place about the time everyone had to have a fancy acronym for their organization and the city was renamed to Inside.

There's something odd about the way he says player.
"There was mafia and assassin guild on the same street?"
"Sounds worse than Skyside some ways."

Honeysuckle considers the next bit for a second.

"It wasn't that figured out tha mysteries of reality after a while?"

So, this Fenric was someone important. Not just a major player, but a major "player", whatever that means. And he knows an ancient incantation to summon a servant of the Elder Gods. Which sounds bad, actually, but Karen has those Doom Covenants, and Todd had that forsaken spirit orb - it's hard not to get mixed up in a little sinister stuff around here.

"Assuming for a moment that not bored, what do y- do these days, everything so changed?"
Last edited by Recaiden on Nov 19, 2022 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Fenric

Post by Fenric »

Fenric chuckles

The "Theatre of Masks" nearby the Black Dragon's Den tavern housed the guild, and the mafia headquarters was below Sneak's Milk Bar.

Fenric shakes his head

Figured out? But then they wouldn't be mysteries! Though I suppose familiarity does breed contempt, as they say, and we became rather casual in our discussions to the point that it eventually fell out of fashion altogether and they returned to being vague and unsettling feelings. Finding yourself saying things you hadn't meant to. Half-seen glimpses of something out of the corner of your eye that's gone when you turn to look. But no detection magicial, technological, or mundane ever finds anything.

The incantation isn't really all that difficult. But since it works here in OOC comments just as well as in-character, I will refrain from repeating it just in case something worse arrives than tentacles that attack you when you say the word "bored".

Kind of you, sir.

Don't mention it... no really: we don't do that anymore. Moving on ...

Fenric smiles

Ah, what most people in my position do, to be honest. I'm what you'd call a "Sage" in most settings: people come and ask me questions! I'm not much use for help, but advice? knowledge? trivia? There I can often be of assistance. Particularly if standard forms are observed.

When nobody has questions, I continue my quest to experience all of the mysteries of Zee's liquor cabinet.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Gold wrote: Nov 11, 2022 9:59 pm "Well, sounds like a good thing done in the end," Gaul says. He can excuse wage slavery, but he is very much against slavery slavery.

Gaul does look at Hoshiki, raising an eyebrow at his expression. Why, then, is he finding it so difficult to answer the question of what he's doing at a tavern?
Maybe Gaul ought to focus on the armored man instead. Given the way he asked his question, it sounded like he already knows the answer. Perhaps better than Hoshiki himself does.

The swordsman racks his brain some more, before speaking again. "... why did your steed come looking for me?"

The armored man snorts. "Well that's an easy one!" He leans closer and lowers his voice. "It's cause it thought I would die."

"You look quite lively to me", Hoshiki replies skeptically.

The armored man leans back. "Only because the tavernkeep puts doctors to shame. She's quite an angel, isn't she?"

"Can't argue with that", Hoshiki says, almost smiling, but his mirth fades as quickly as it came, "but why me and not someone else?"

The armored man crosses his arms. "You really need me to say it aloud?"

Indeed, Hoshiki figured it out almost as soon as the question left his mouth, his unease turning into a grim realization. But, it's not just the two of them at the table. Hoshiki glances at, the nods towards Gaul. "For his benefit, if not mine."

The armored man turns to the living cartoon. "Depends. Do you want to know?", he asks Gaul.

At the other table, or rather, under it, a little gargoyle keeps spying on the conversation with bated breath, only listening to Michalson and Rhaka with one ear. She can ask why Michalson didn't become a full elf later.
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

Gaul gives a shrug and grins. "I'm still here, ain't I?"

He signals for the armoured man to continue, evidently not noticing the eavesdropping gargoyle. "So, go on."
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

Fenric wrote: Nov 17, 2022 3:44 pm Fenric chuckles

The "Theatre of Masks" nearby the Black Dragon's Den tavern housed the guild, and the mafia headquarters was below Sneak's Milk Bar.

Fenric shakes his head

Figured out? But then they wouldn't be mysteries! Though I suppose familiarity does breed contempt, as they say, and we became rather casual in our discussions to the point that it eventually fell out of fashion altogether and they returned to being vague and unsettling feelings. Finding yourself saying things you hadn't meant to. Half-seen glimpses of something out of the corner of your eye that's gone when you turn to look. But no detection magicial, technological, or mundane ever finds anything.

The incantation isn't really all that difficult. But since it works here in OOC comments just as well as in-character, I will refrain from repeating it just in case something worse arrives than tentacles that attack you when you say the word "bored".

Kind of you, sir.

Don't mention it... no really: we don't do that anymore. Moving on ...

Fenric smiles

Ah, what most people in my position do, to be honest. I'm what you'd call a "Sage" in most settings: people come and ask me questions! I'm not much use for help, but advice? knowledge? trivia? There I can often be of assistance. Particularly if standard forms are observed.

When nobody has questions, I continue my quest to experience all of the mysteries of Zee's liquor cabinet.
Trog's and the Black Dragon's Den and a Milk Bar all right by each other, huh?
Well, that would make it easier for them to compete.

Honeysuckle nods deeply. "Know exactly what ye' mean." Words coming out wrong, something watching you that can't be seen or felt. Better not to worry about it, right? Not a lot of answers will be forthcoming either way. Like how he's whispering to someone who isn't there at this very moment. Very curious. Nothing going to come of investigating it.

"A sage?" She's pretty sure sages aren't supposed to be drinking? But then, a sage would know better, wouldn't they?

"Pray tell, o wise sage of the liquor cabinet..."
"What's the meaning of life?"
"Is it possible to really change the past?"
"What's wrong with my eyes?"
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory