Trog's Tavern: Roman Numerals Are Dumb

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Trog's Tavern: Roman Numerals Are Dumb

Post by bc56 »

Tourist Trap
Sekhmet smiles. "Really? It would be a blessing to receive any possible assistance from your friends," The emphasis on "blessing" makes it obvious that Sekhmet knows what Eu means.
"Oh! But your vacation..." Sekhmet, that politeness is unnecessary. This is way more important than even a god's vacation, right?
Right?
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

"...no. She's pretty human. Also kind of a vampire, not really? But it's ok I'm also kind of a ghost."
Henry doesn't like being compared to a fly. "Two of my half-siblings are part spider?" He has to like his half-siblings but he doesn't think they're physically cute.
He's not really sure about tongues.
"I'm pretty sure my tongue is a normal color."
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

"How can someone be a vampire but not really?" Aivu wonders aloud. "Has she got only ONE fang? Does she get bad sunburns?"

More excellent questions.

"Wait, are you Underground Crusaders? Because they were all sorts of things put together, too. But it turned out that happened to them because a demon tricked their ancestors into eating an angel."

Which is a sad and gross thing to do.

"IS it a normal color? Can I see?"

[Tourist Trap]

"No problem! I'll see what I can do," Eu replies with a smile and a wave. "And I'll still be vacationing! See, I learned this trick thanks to an inevitable that tried to steal a bunch of my power. It can be fractioned off and the excess is still back at home. I can send word through it to my colleges to get some brain-storming going. I have no idea what we'll be able to come up with but it'll probably be something."

And then?

She pulls out a list.

"Now then, let's see... Visited Trog's Tavern, that's where I'm supposed to start. I guess seeing the sights of 'Inside' is next? Did they really name the town that?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"No. Everyone in Owena's home was cursed. They have to hunt things instead of eating normal food.
My family just got cursed by some paladins or something. I don't know why. Apparently my great-grandparents were pretty evil? I don't know why that's our problem. Two of my half-siblings don't have hands anymore and Sara can't get upset without making everyone around her sick. And it made me a fat shark. And then I died and mostly got better so now I'm a fat half-alive shark. So. Curses suck."

Curses do in fact suck.
Without knowing what else to do, Henry slowly opens his mouth and sticks out his tongue.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Tourist Trap
"Thank you! You have no idea how important this is!" Well, she probably does, but Sekhmet wants to show gratitude. "Yes, they did. Apparently because it's, uh, 'not Outside,' which makes, uh, no sense to me." She thinks. "You should, uh, definitely see Market Street. And the Mall there. The variety of things for sale there is unbelievable! And the architecture, the whole city, is like nothing I'd ever seen before coming here!"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"Oh no, not curses!" Aivu replies, looking distraught. But then! She looks excited! And dances her little front feet! "Oh oh oh I know decursing magic! I can sing a song of freedom and maybe it'll make it all better! I can just-"

She makes a silly honky noise and no magic happens.

"Nuuuuu we left all our power at home I can't do that! Isn't there anyone around here who can help? Paladins are rubbish at making curses I don't even know they could GET curse spells. There must be someone who can help you."

Alas, these aren't the sorts of curses where rubbing them with a magical widget makes them go away. But Aivu doesn't know that. She's from a very widget-heavy world.

[Tourist Trap]

"I think I've got a pretty good idea," Eu replies with a wry smile. "My home is part of Elysium, but it's still technically in the Abyss. A little outpost of life and liberty and goodness in a great big mudhole of terrible. Sometimes demons show up to attack us. Sometimes they show up because they're sick of evil and want to experience eudaemonia. With the help of my friends I'm already doing what you're trying to do."

She reaches out to take Sekhmet's hand and smiles wide. The demon queen will be able to hear... music. Reedy and distant. Like a building storm, full of energy and excitement and whimsy.

"They told me I couldn't change anything. That if I tried to break the Wheel it would crush me. But I'm the Winds of Change. I'm the springtime storm that washes away the rot. It might feel like your task is impossible, but let me tell you, NOTHING is impossible. Not when goodness and mercy are the breeze pushing you forward."

Then?

She stands up! Salad complete. Eu leaves a pair of gold coins on the table that generously covers her snacks and then some. "C'mon, Aivu! We've got some more sights to see."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Tourist Trap
"I..." That word. Eudaemonia? Sekhmet hasn't heard it before, but she knows at least a little Greek. Is that supposed to be "good demon" specifically, or "good spirit" in general? It doesn't really matter. "Thank you, ma'am. Oh! The, uh, research! If... When your friends get results, you can find me here," she scribbles down an address on a piece of paper, an address that leads a long way from here, to a mansion situated in a tropical forest not far from the beach.
"I, uh... Farewell. Good luck?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

"The last time a mage who knew about hexes tried to take a look at my curse a giant invisible hand punched her in the chest and sent her through a table." Henry says very seriously.
"Nobody should risk themselves poking around up there unless they're capable of duking it out with some god-level stuff." he adds sadly. For the safety of everyone else, he just has to live with his gills.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

The answer to Sekhmet's question is yes.

Good spirit, generally. Or a good life. But also, as a pun, 'good demon'. Eu is, technically, Areshkagal the Faceless Sphinx. Demon lord of riddles and portals. She devoured the sphinx's power in its totality and now she's more than the Faceless Sphinx ever was. She solved the Riddle of Nothing. She stripped it bare and exposed it for the empty sophistry it was. And so she replaced it with the Riddle of Eudaemonia. Nihilism was broken and the joy of life blossomed forth from its ruins.

Eu takes the note, "Mhmm..." she says, nodding sagely. "I have no idea where this is. But I bet I can figure it out. Turns out I'm really good at solving riddles."

Who would have guessed?

"Thanks! I think 'have fun' would work. Which I plan on doing. I haven't had THAT many breaks, between you and me. The last few years have been a real whirlwind for me! I'll be around seeing the sights. Maybe we'll run into each other again?" Eu says as she heads for the door. She makes a gesture and Aivu begins bounding along after her.

"We'll find someone with experience duking it out with god-level stuff to help you!" Aivu calls back to Henry. "I might have met someone like that before! She might even be somewhere nearby but she left all her big-bad slapping gloves at home!"

Wow that wasn't subtle at all.

Henry MIGHT want to harass Eu a bit and figure out what the mischievous purple dragon was talking about.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Earl of Purple wrote: May 18, 2023 10:26 am There are flint mines in England, Belgium and Poland radiocarbon dated to over four thousand years ago thanks to broken antlers used as pickaxes and left behind by workers with tunnels that are still intact. Grime's Graves in Norfolk, Krzemionki near Ostrowiec Świętokrzyski and Spiennes near Mons. That's in chalk, a softer and more soluble rock than granite. Tunnels don't need maintenance like above-ground buildings, or those dug into soil do.

"The blood elemental would have drowned Silverwhistle if she were alone, so that's dangerous. There was a skeleton with an axe that kept reforming, but Cankerbert smashed its skull so it should be handled. Some vampiric shadows as well, we scared those off with holy light. Really, it's hard to say. We didn't get that far in, there was plenty of gold in the room with the blood elemental." Might be stuff they didn't see, or which the group looked powerful enough to intimidate into hiding without ever becoming aware that there was something there.
Well i guess there is a difference if you have to mine the way out or if some macical eraser just shapes a hole in the cave, either way I am to less into that stuff to give a realistic answer.

"Yeah. Sounds like there are a lot of dangers to pass by." Zefir admits. "Sad I don't know anyone to acompany me. Got some kind of bad reputation. Well no point crying about such stuff. I give it a try and if i don't make it than i didn't make it."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Henry blinks. "Huh?"
Did she-
Wait how is she going to find him even if they succeeded? They'd have to- Oh screw it, Henry's not doing anything else today.
"Wait up!" he declares, standing up. Naturally he takes a moment to down the rest of his drink. He paid good money for that! But then it's after the tourists for him.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

"Well, good luck. I don't plan on going back there any time soon; it's risky, and I don't need to put myself in danger." Although she doesn't have enough to retire on yet either, so perhaps Zefir could convince her anyway.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

"Sad to hear." he replies. " I admit my intentions areless for the gold. I'm more intressed in uniqu items. So there would be much to spare."

Having a business that earns more than enougth is a factor here. He also got the AMEN income cas if needed. The one where someone hacked Riversides public transportation system and cut of a small amount of every transaktion.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"Maybe for you. There's butchers and tavern owners all over the city glad I'm rich, because soon I won't be and they'll have my money instead. For now, I'll live off my winnings, rest, recover, improve Cankerbert with more fat, perhaps craft another thrull, and so on until I have to go delve a dungeon again." It'll probably take a month or so, though. Longer if she lives a bit more frugally than she usually does.

Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Zefir is not the best in convincing people. He doesn't know her well enougth to bait her into it. Not that it is that important anyway.
"If that is your way I can't do much." he replies. "I have a save income and a rather low cost lifestyle. I don't think anything can force me to adventure. That way I can leave whenever i think i need to." Otherwise you would be forced to go on until you have the money you need.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"That's the dream. Except there's labour laws and stuff in Inside, so my thrulls aren't acceptable workers if I make them smart enough to be useful workers. Gotta pay anything capable of higher reasoning, and not just in maintenance fees, and offer the opportunity to find work elsewhere. All to keep people employed as fast food workers and stuff." Although people might not like undead constructs made of fat involved at any level of food production, especially in restaurants, citing 'contamination' and 'vegetarian options' as reasoning.

Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Zefir looks irritated enougth, especially since the law of inside is very... modular. Is there even a government accepted by the people?

"Well I doubt any sane person would like to have them near their food if possible." he says. "Undead have the point of beeing dead at some point."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"A properly-made thrull does not fall apart or drip fat, not until the end of its life and it dissolves, anyway." Byala's insulted by the idea that her necromantic constructs are in any way unhygienic, though the idea that they dissolve on death would sort-of suggest otherwise.

Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Zefir doesn't look like he feels at fault here. he more likly looks annoyed. Another Necromancer who forgets about it's creations.

"Yeah you do remember that necromany mostly usis magic to animate dead things, in your case fat? Sorry to say but even if they don't leak normal people don't disolve when they die."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"Sure they do. It just takes a while, and leaves bones and solids behind. My thrulls don't, they're far more hygienic than that. And they've got a set timetable on when they'll die, which can be extended by maintenance. People don't. You could drop down dead of no real reason tomorrow, and it's a lot harder to keep yourself going without dying as you get older." Which is one reason many necromancers turn themselves into undead of various sorts.

Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

"On the other hand if something terminates the magic your thurlls fall apart as well. It's just another source that keeps them alive." Thought he has the ability to kill magic in that way, but that would be ugly.
"Necromancy still is a way to opose nature. You might see it as hygienic, but in the end your thrull is a mass of fat and necromancy. Also if your life never ends, do you value it?" With that he turns on his chair ready to leave.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"The right kind of magic can terminate a person just as easily as a thrull, and people bleed. My thrulls don't, no blood in them. And magic's natural. If it wasn't, it'd be impossible. Can't oppose nature with magic, that'd be like trying to oppose the sun with a candle." Which sounds like a lot of work, if not totally futile. Perhaps not at night, though. "Of course I value my life, and it will have an end. Nothing lasts forever. And it's because I value it that I wish to extend it as long as I can."

Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Zefir sights.

"Sure a magic can kill someone, but people can live without magic. your thrull can't." he says. "Magic is unnatural. I know places were everything can livw and there is no magic anywhere. That means it is unnessesary and no plant or lifeform grows magic. Magic acan animate dead and even make them sentient. Where is that natural? You are just the worst kind of spellcaster. You try to justify your magic, since you can't accept that it's not natural. He then makes a pause and takes some breaths.

"Let's just agree to disagree, I am sick of this anyway."
Byala might prove him wrong when he uses the objects in front of her, but that won't be the case unless anything happens.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"There is magic in those places too. Might not look like it, but it's there. They can explain it and understand it and call it 'science', but it's still magic. I don't know how to make one of the lights in here, but they're powered by chained lightning. That's magic." It's electricity, but Byala sees no difference. "But fine, we aren't going to convince each other, so I'm going to take Cankerbert for a walk, help him digest some of that porridge he's eaten." The thrull grins as its name is called, and Byala will climb back atop her fatty mount, and turns towards the door.

FracturedSimulacrum
Fresh Baby Poster

Post by FracturedSimulacrum »

Zefir wrote: Jun 11, 2023 2:19 pm*Snip!*

"Let's just agree to disagree, I am sick of this anyway." Byala might prove him wrong when he uses the objects in front of her, but that won't be the case unless anything happens.
Heels clack against the old, wooden floor of the tavern. As Byala departs, someone else strikes out from the crowd and approaches Zefir.

Was that kerfuffle worthy of you? You know as well as I that wizards cling to their most untenable beliefs like fearful children cling to the hemlines of their mothers' skirts. To divest them of those ungenerous proclivities is to strip their bones to the marrow, and that is rarely worth the effort. I, for one, would reserve my energies for those who prove themselves useful to me - if I was ever to undertake that task.

Adorned in vermillion splendor, the Carmine Eminence clambers into a chair beside Zefir. Though summer shines upon her, she wears a well-pressed vermillion blazer bearing the Academy's coruscating crest over her white button-down shirt and a black knee-length pleated skirt. Mismatched vermillion and black knee-high socks, a black necktie flecked with gold, and black Sherrys complete her uniform.

From the tips of her regal horns to her dispassionate, saurian eyes and the sheen of her polished ruby and citrine tail, Alexstrasza's draconic heritage is on full display. Strands of her shoulder length, amethyst hair sweeps across the blade of the bokken she gingerly sets on the table. Then, her jagged, amber eyes transfix Zefir. The slightest of smiles plays on her lips as she looks at him. No doubt Zefir will recognize this as his daughter's attempt to connect with him despite her reptilian nature and appurtenant emotional detachment.

I was delayed by a club meeting that overran. We were planning to raid a dungeon again, but my impending transfer makes that, well, a little more difficult to coordinate.

Alexis swipes a new-looking menu from a nearby table and flicks through it idly. She doesn't care a whit about its contents; this is perfunctory - a ritual of sorts. She's going to order a burger and fries or a bowl of ramen. She always does when she first visits a restaurant. It's a metric - nothing less and nothing more.

Honestly, I am not overjoyed at the prospect of attending PREP. It sounds like a school for special snowflakes, but if the key to the vault is on the grounds, as I suspect, it will be easier to access "from the inside."

Alexis peers over the top of her menu.

What have you been up to? Things still rough on the business-front?
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

Outside, leaning against the wall of the tavern, a bandaged man in a dirty grey overcoat admires the sunrise, such as it is in the city. He digs a (likely, stolen) cigarette from his pockets and puts it between his lips, but then finds he forgot to nick a lighter.

Sighing, he takes the cigarette back between his finger and whistles (very poorly). "Hey! Need a little fire here!"

The words are meant to, and heard by, a large metallic horse standing nearby. It turns and cranes its neck to bring its muzzle close to the man's hand. It snorts, blowing heavy sulphurous air and tiny wisps of flame through its nostrils. Just what he needed.

The man smokes in silence for a while, but he's clearly restless. "I thought she'd be back by now. What do you think is holding her up?" To someone passing by, it might look like he's talking to the horse. But he's actually speaking to a ghost, tied to a suit of armor packed on the steed.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Zefir looks after the nekromancer. His face darkens as he hears what she says.

"Electricity is not magic! Just because you can't get it." It's likly she didn't hear him. He's mad, but not enougth to just jump on the necromancer.

As the other woman aproches he doesn't turn, not because he doesn't want to face, but because he wants to be sure the necromancer is gone.

"I't's still worth a try. Mages claim to be smart so I cans till hope for it."

Sadly Zefir doesn't recognize her habit. Maybe because they didn't spend that much time or maybe because he's currently keeping his rage in place. He would be more the type to cook then order. Most times he was in Trogs he only ordered drinks and only for special occasions he had a meal.

"Any kind of institution that get's you away from that one sided thinking like hers." he points at the door to adress Byala.

He then get's addressed with questions and to play things out he didn't recognize her yet. Just remember, every tiem he met her she had a change from dragon baby to small dragon to Huan/dragon hybrid. can't be sure what she looks like now. He does recognize her voice.
"Depends on who ask, or better said when did we last met?"
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"I don't know. Perhaps she has recognised an old flame, and has stopped for a chat. Perhaps she's recognised an old flame, and is trying desperately to avoid being noticed. Perhaps she has been pulled into a game of blackjack, or poker, or go fish. Perhaps she is valiantly attempting to prevent the bar from being robbed by ne'er-do-wells or Frenchmen. Perhaps she is being held hostage by elves desperate for pomegranates. Easily addicted to pomegranates, elves, known fact." That is not a known fact, though it's unlikely anyone other than Hoshiki can hear the ghost. Ser Persyval is not manifested enough to produce a lot of sound, and the deceased knight is not wearing his helmet that provides a faint echo.

Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

"You have a wild imagination for a ghost", Sandels remarks. He has no idea whether any kind of would fancy pomegranates, nevermind why. He goes and grabs Ser Persyval's helmet off the horse, holding it in his left and giving the forehead a tap with his right. "Once I get to work, I think I'll put all of you here while I work on the rest", he muses, "it might feel a bit odd, sort of like not feeling your body from the neck down, but it's preferable to the alternative. Don't want you jumping out of a fire at the wrong moment."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Approaching the tavern is a mycoid girl with a pensive expression, pushing a wheelbarrow full of armor. Her violet mushroom cap glows faintly, lighting her way as heads for the inn's entrance. Then she stops abruptly as she notices the bandaged man standing by the horse outside.

"There you are!" says Lia, hurrying over with a relieved smile, wheelbarrow bouncing to a stop, "I was worried you'd be hard to find."

Then she hesitates, as if unsure how to begin. "I got the armor," she says, gesturing needlessly at the barrow's contents, "And I talked to Hoshiki. His side of the story is... interesting." She fiddles with the hem of her dress. "Also met Bunny. That went badly." She lets out a sigh through her nose, seeming torn between frustration and worry.
horses can attack and eat me