Riverside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Riverside

Post by Gullara »

[Wandering Riverside]

"If she doesn't want to talk about it, she can tell you that." Nadia says, as patiently as she can. "I doubt Eliseo is just going to chase you off for no reason. If you're polite about it." Both Irena and Eliseo can be unreasonable about each other to varying degrees, but Irena is the one here.
~Images by Soushiyo

Tags:
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

"Expression not pardoned. Hmph!" Reinholdt tilts his head up and pouts dramatically. How dare anyone cat in his presence? The expression falls a bit though and he ends up nodding solemnly.

"Sure. Tomorrow's... good." He hadn't any plans for the day at any rate. Rein raises an eyebrow slightly when Atya promises unconditional support no matter what. Atya must still be in mayor mode. Getting elected is a mindset and it becomes all too easy to stay in that mindset at all times. He's not sure Braon's going to need a bodyguard if the kids aren't even Rein's.

Reinholdt doesn't worry about it too much though. He knows how truly open and giving Atya can be once she's decided you're important to her. He'll gently lean back into Atya, letting her take advantage of his chest. He opens his mouth to ask the kids names, but closes it again. He wants to ask a million other questions too. Their favorite food, their birthday, which one takes the toys from the others the most... but Braon's right. It's too early yet.

A change in topic then. "I'm still looking forward to seeing the results of the raffle tonight. Did you go for anything in particular Braon?" Rein has his tickets around here somewhere.
► SHOW SPOILER
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Meowmai wrote: Mar 01, 2024 12:30 am [Bird Watching]

Okay, so she was maybe a little bit of an asshole with how she went about dumping Duclie, sure, but c'mon! That obviously wasn't gonna work out! And, "what plans!?" she splutters. What was this girl talking about?

She then turns to Skyla, full realization dawning on her about her betrayal. "You were in on this?" A beat. "For how long!???"

Despite Dulcinea being the actual culprit of the current crime, Atsede's gaze grows more venomous as she looks at Reilana. "So what, jumping me in a fucking alleyway wasn't enough for you, you freak!?" The changeling's held a grudge about that for a while.
[Bird Watching]

"Wasn't it obvious? My plans to use you as a stepping stone to woo Reilana. I thought you'd realized, which was why you dumped me." Dulcinea scoffs. "What? You didn't think I was ever actually attracted to you in the first place, did you?" A harsh statement, considering making Reilana think she was into Atsede was part of the plan at the time, but Dulcinea's not going for accuracy here. She's going for hurt.

"The whole time," Skyla replies as she pockets her payment. "Only said yes because she asked me to, y'know. Later dumbass." The girl heads to the exit with a wave.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

Atya beams at Obriane. "Well, I greatly appreciate the support. I'm very happy to get the message out, and I'll be even happier if I'm allowed the chance to create some real change." And it's nice to know that what she's saying makes any kind of sense, too. It's not like she's ever done this before.

"Well, I don't want to talk your ear off all night, but it's been lovely chatting. Before you go, just stop by Daisy on your way out, and she'll have the package for your family. You can't miss her, she's the big one eyed monster." Obriane would have seen her on the way in, as she is truly hard to overlook.

Perhaps it's because she's a little inebriated, just lost in her own thoughts, or simply too relieved that this is working out at all. Whatever the reason, the usually perceptive Atya doesn't pick up on Braon's suspicion this time around. She stares up at the ceiling, enjoying the sensation of Reinholdt's breathing. The yellow electric light flickers slightly. Oh, her vision is starting to get fuzzy again. That's not a great sign.

Atya blinks her eyes, then sighs. "Tomorrow is is. And regardless of what happens, we're going to be okay." It's unclear if she's referring to her and Reinholdt, or all three of them. But the latter seems more likely.

She certainly chose the right man to go after if she wants to feel a lot of extreme and conflicting emotions.

Reinholdt's question makes her her exhales a not-quite laugh. "Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the raffle. Braon, I don't know if you ever got a chance to buy tickets, but nothing there is really worth it anyway, unless you like expensive knicknacks. I can only hope whoever wins the house tour isn't a weirdo though, I don't know what I was thinking with that one."
horses can attack and eat me
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

"...I did have my eye on that girdle." Braon admits, gesturing down at herself. "Having quintuplets was absolute murder on my figure, and it would be nice to have a way to work back to that." She smirks a little. "Truth be told, I might have been planning to cheat on that one. Buy a ticket or two and then enchant them to be more... assertive. I figured it would be worth any other aggravations that came up tonight and wouldn't be high-stakes enough for anyone to bother proving I did it. Or rather, that Mhearai Dis did it. Who, funnily enough, won't have left a valid mailing address."

She gives an exaggerated, theatrical sigh. "But I suppose I can bail you out just this once and do the house tour instead." She says, rolling her shoulders. "Since we're such good friends and all. At least then you won't get some creep who sniffs all the furniture or something."

...Wait, did that sound sarcastic? Well, actually, yeah, of course it sounded sarcastic, but was it, like, anti-Atya sarcastic or like a self-deprecating sarcastic? She's not setting herself up to make this situation even worse, is she?

"...But really though." Braon clears her throat. "I can absolutely do that. It wouldn't even be hard. Just, ah, say the word."

If she has to shoot down Atya tomorrow, it would probably soften the blow if she was nice tonight, right? She might even believe Braon was she says it's not anything personal.

...Or that could be seen as leading her on.

Fuck. She had this just a second ago.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ironsmith wrote: Mar 05, 2024 1:48 am [Outten Inn]

"...You serious?"

Hana and Hazel look at Ava with matching raised eyebrows, seeming to have a hard time avoiding breaking out into giggle fits.

Finally, Hazel breaks from the moment with a wistful little sigh. "Ah, I remembeh when we wehe dat naive." She chortles.

"Look, detective. You're new to this, so we'll give you a quick tutorial." Hana offers, plopping onto the couch. "No, we don't trust you. No, you shouldn't trust us. All of us have lying to each other as part of our job descriptions. It's nothing personal, of course. But we'd be pretty terrible at what we do if we couldn't lie to you with a completely straight face."

"And since ya ahn't neahly expehienced enough to spot it, ya should probably fact-check evehything we say." Hazel adds in. "Not disbelieve, cause we'll still tell da truth evehy now and dhen. But neveh, neveh assume we ahn't lying to you."

"That being said." Hana uncrosses her legs and smirks. "It's all still just the job. We've got our own goals, you've got yours, and if we succeed at ours while foiling yours or vice versa, there's no point in taking it all that hard; there's no malice on either side here. It's just a question of being outplayed. Happens to everyone; better to learn from it than be a sore loser."

"It's all vehy zen, afteh a cehtain point." Hazel adds, leaning against the counter next to the fridge. "Ya get used ta it. Or ya wake up in ya undehweah tied ta bedpost one mohning and realize dis ain't da life for ya." She pulls open the drawer next to her and produces a roll of duct tape, tossing it idly back and forth between her hands.

"So, the main point, though." Hana smiles. "We don't trust you. So our strategy for getting our freedom in the end revolves around your honesty being irrelevant. And if you've got any sense- which it looks like you do, you seem like a smart cookie- you'll do the same."

"Now, bein' thr spohts we ahe, we'll let ya pick. Ya want da couch or da bed?"
quillpleasant wrote: Mar 05, 2024 7:59 pm Charity Dinner

Atya beams at Obriane. "Well, I greatly appreciate the support. I'm very happy to get the message out, and I'll be even happier if I'm allowed the chance to create some real change." And it's nice to know that what she's saying makes any kind of sense, too. It's not like she's ever done this before.

"Well, I don't want to talk your ear off all night, but it's been lovely chatting. Before you go, just stop by Daisy on your way out, and she'll have the package for your family. You can't miss her, she's the big one eyed monster." Obriane would have seen her on the way in, as she is truly hard to overlook.
Gullara wrote: Mar 05, 2024 3:41 am [Wandering Riverside]

"If she doesn't want to talk about it, she can tell you that." Nadia says, as patiently as she can. "I doubt Eliseo is just going to chase you off for no reason. If you're polite about it." Both Irena and Eliseo can be unreasonable about each other to varying degrees, but Irena is the one here.
[Outten Inn]

Oh great, now the criminals were calling her naive too.
She just tried to have a tiny bit of faith in people, that was all. She had made it to detective hadn't she? On her own merit no less.
And 'job description' her ass, if there was anything she would have in the criminal job description it would be 'be lucky'. These were as much criminals as a goliath birdeater was a peacock spider. Both were technically spiders but you could tell the difference just by looking at them.

She suppressed the urge to roll her eyes and nods towards the couch. "The couch then. Or the floor. I don't mind really." She had been able to fall asleep on a cave floor so this was nothing in comparison.

Charity Dinner

"Oh." The big red monster? Huh. She quietly wondered if that was some sort of mascot or an actual red monster. "Well, thank you so much Miss Atya." She holds out her hand, offering a handshake. "It was so nice to get to talk to you."

[Wandering Riverside]

Irena desperately wanted to change the topic now. Maybe with some sort of promise?

"I could take May practice driving." She blurts out. "Her parents are pretty busy most the time right? So it's perfect." In Irena's mind she didn't have much free time but she knew that the public perception was that she didn't cause 'she didn't have a real job'. Well, if you were as serious with your hobbies as she was, it was basically like a real job.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

"Good luck with that. I believe the corset and house tour are the two most fought over items. Those tickets were selling quite fast." Maybe if Rein wins the corset, he could offer it to Braon. Though he'd rather keep it for himself to... find certain uses for. Though he's not sure he could beat out magical cheating. But there were plenty of other people buying those too, they may have been cheating as well. Should he have been cheating harder? Are all the games rigged?

"And I'll have you know, I only sniff the furniture if it's wood!" Some woods smell quite nice. The gentle smile Rein has suggests he doesn't sniff the furniture at all. When he's in Atya's house he is far too preoccupied to be doing that.

Reinholdt gently pats Atya's back. "We should get back up there so you can start declaring some winners. Raffles always take three times as long as you think they're going to take." They can be surprisingly tedious.
► SHOW SPOILER
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

Atya shakes Obriane's hand warmly. "Likewise! Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything, and give my best wishes to your family."

What an absolutely pleasant conversation. That really couldn't have gone better.

Obriane, whenever she leaves, will find Daisy by the door, the hulking gray monster guarding several takeout bags. Food enough for a family of that size might be difficult to carry, which is why there's a free delivery option if she shares her address. Atya keeps her promises.

Braon's talk about the corset gets a laugh out of Atya. "You don't need that, girl. Honestly I'm not sure why everyone's obsessed with it. Got it as a gift from an admirer a few years back, which was a good sign that wasn't going to work out." She's quite happy with what she's got, all things considered.

But at the tour offer, she thinks for a moment, then smiles. "You know, that's actually really nice? I can't condone cheating as a candidate. But as a friend, I love it." And she truly hasn't been looking forward to showing around some excitable fan or politician in a mid life crisis who expects more than just a tour and some drinks.

At Reinholdt's suggestion of getting back up, Atya pouts for a moment, then sighs and gets to her feet. "You're right, of course. Even though the thought of entertaining a crowd is murder right now." She straightens her dress, fluffs her hair, and then reaches out to take Reinholdt's hand.

A thought occurs to her. "Braon, why don't you go up first? It'd be best if we weren't all seen as a group again. Precautions." Hopefully that doesn't come off as mean- she's really just trying to do what's best for them.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

"Yeah, and I'd need a minute to get the tickets anyway." Braon says, just a little too hastily, before making her way to the door. Did she sound bitter about it? She hoped not. She's got nothing to be bitter about, she's in complete agreement with this plan.

...To set herself up for some alone time with Atya at a later date. That would almost certainly come after the dreaded paternity test.

Oh.

Well. Hindsight is 20/20.

With that, Braon disappears up the stairs again, a brief flash of her green cloak and the hasty sounds of boots clambering up the staircase serving as the last remnants of her presence in the room.

True to her word, she goes straight to the raffle table, and if everything goes smoothly, will soon be adding a pair of tickets for the house tour to the pool, which resonate with pure, unadulterated "pick me" energy. She has a fairly good idea of how that feels right around now.

[Outten Inn]

"Eh, dat wohks too." Hazel shrugs. "Whateveh you'he comfohtable wit'."

"That won't be for a few hours anyway." Hana beams, shrugging her bathrobe back off again. "So kick off your shoes and stay a while. Let me just see what's on tonight..." She grabs a remote from the nightstand and points it at the TV, rapidly flicking through the channels. Besides the weather channel, which she seems to have no interest in, there's a few made-for-TV movies on (she doesn't stay long enough to pick up on any plot, but they all seem to share the same cheesy midi-string soundtrack), a wrestling match, a police procedural, one of several news channels (which is already reporting on the events at the Currency Exchange, but also doesn't seem to interest her), a cooking show, several iterations of reality TV, It's A Wonderful Life... and more things that don't seem to initially interest Hana, but might catch Ava's attention if she's at all invested in the TV.

Hazel, meanwhile, seems to have absolutely no problem with turning her back on Ava long enough to fetch a bag of popcorn from the cabinet and pop it into the microwave, her hand hovering over the number buttons as she stares at the display, fingers twiddling nervously. "...Hey, Han, is Bikini Beauties on in dis era?"

"I haven't seen it, but I'm not sure I really want to see a nature documentary right now." Hana drones.

"Eh, faih. I just dhink it's intehesting, what comes around wit' six hundhed yeehs'a elevated radiation in da sea life."

"Well, yeah, but... I don't know, I'm feeling something a little more humorous tonight, you know?"
Last edited by Ironsmith on Mar 07, 2024 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Meowmai wrote: Mar 01, 2024 12:30 am [Bird Watching]

Okay, so she was maybe a little bit of an asshole with how she went about dumping Duclie, sure, but c'mon! That obviously wasn't gonna work out! And, "what plans!?" she splutters. What was this girl talking about?

She then turns to Skyla, full realization dawning on her about her betrayal. "You were in on this?" A beat. "For how long!???"

Despite Dulcinea being the actual culprit of the current crime, Atsede's gaze grows more venomous as she looks at Reilana. "So what, jumping me in a fucking alleyway wasn't enough for you, you freak!?" The changeling's held a grudge about that for a while.
Arkhosia wrote: Mar 05, 2024 6:55 pm [Bird Watching]

"Wasn't it obvious? My plans to use you as a stepping stone to woo Reilana. I thought you'd realized, which was why you dumped me." Dulcinea scoffs. "What? You didn't think I was ever actually attracted to you in the first place, did you?" A harsh statement, considering making Reilana think she was into Atsede was part of the plan at the time, but Dulcinea's not going for accuracy here. She's going for hurt.

"The whole time," Skyla replies as she pockets her payment. "Only said yes because she asked me to, y'know. Later dumbass." The girl heads to the exit with a wave.
[Bird Watching]

Reilana has one simple answer to Atsede's question. "No." She has a second answer as well. She hands her full cup of pop to Dulcie.
Shadowcaller wrote: Mar 06, 2024 7:29 am [Wandering Riverside]

Irena desperately wanted to change the topic now. Maybe with some sort of promise?

"I could take May practice driving." She blurts out. "Her parents are pretty busy most the time right? So it's perfect." In Irena's mind she didn't have much free time but she knew that the public perception was that she didn't cause 'she didn't have a real job'. Well, if you were as serious with your hobbies as she was, it was basically like a real job.
[Wandering Riverside]

Nadia looks surprised at that. She didn't think Irena would start volunteering effort like that. "I don't think she would have. I'm not sure they even have a vehicle. It'd be a valuable skill for her to learn if she wants."
~Images by Soushiyo
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Arkhosia wrote: Mar 05, 2024 6:55 pm [Bird Watching]

Gullara wrote: Mar 07, 2024 3:52 am [Bird Watching]

Reilana has one simple answer to Atsede's question. "No." She has a second answer as well. She hands her full cup of pop to Dulcie.
[Bird Watching]

Atsede actually flinched a little at the responses she got this time. She had, in fact, realized Dulcie was not into her, that was why she had dumped her, but she certainly had not been expecting this amount of venom from her. And she had been deliberately using her as a stepping stone? What, to make Reilana jealous or something? "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

Skyla's answer actually genuinely stings though. Sure, it's not like Atsede had ever taken things 100% seriously with her, but ouch. Two relationships in a row that were nothing but setups.

Even before Atsede notices Reilana hand the cup over, she's standing up, but that only hastens her departure. "Fine. Fuck the both of you. Hope you rot in hell." And with that, she storms off, visibly seething.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

"I suppose you'll just have to add murder to your rap sheet, hmm?" Reinholdt takes Atya's hand and stands up as well. He takes a moment to ensures his suit is properly uncreased and unwrinkled. He nods slightly as Braon goes on ahead and lingers behind with Atya.

When the tiefling has had enough of a head start, Rein looks at Atya once more. "I'm... sorry. About all this." He can't offer her more than that at this point, but he felt it should at least be said. He'll squeeze her hand and prepare to follow her lead back to the party.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Charity Dinner]

Shortly after the trio return to the dinner, a stir passes through the assembled crowd. Someone, then a few more people, checked the news. And right now, the biggest story in Riverside is Tillvael's death. The controversial candidate's body was found dead in an abandoned church, in grisly circumstances that suggest a ritual killing. Someone from Atya's staff is going to bring her the news immediately.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity

Reinholdt's joke earns a slightly nervous laugh from Atya. She's killed people as recently as a week ago, so murder is very much already on her rap sheet. But there's no need to bring that up now. She watches Braon depart thoughtfully. What a whirlwind this night has been.

Taking Reinholdt's hand, she returns the squeeze as they walk back up towards the party. "It's not your fault, you know that right?" She's silent for a moment, then glances up, meeting his eyes. "Hey... are you okay? I know this is all probably really, really weird for you. I just want you to know that no matter what happens tomorrow, I'm with you, because I-"

A rather nervous looking reptilian woman scurries over to them from the party. Atya gives her an annoyed glance.

"What is it, Vejert?" she says, a little testily. In response, the woman holds out her phone, showing a breaking news article.

Mayoral Candidate Found Murdered in Shocking Ritual!!!
Riverside thrown into chaos- is this the work of demons?

Atya's eyebrows shoot up. Oh no. On top of everything else, now this? "Oh god. I need to say something. Is this confirmed, this isn't just some rumor?"

"The sources are reputable," says her aide quietly. Atya looks a little stunned as she tries to figure out how best to handle this situation.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

...Something isn't right.

Braon isn't sure what it is exactly that tips her off. Pinning down the exact moment a sense of unease starts to creep into the room is not a very precise science. But once she notices she can't seem to put it out of mind. People muttering to one another. Those sidelong glances at her and anxious silences that follow. The way the crowd breaks up into smaller clusters of people congregating around whoever had their phones out. Horrified gasps breaking through the uneasy noise, and at least one guest excusing herself to go find a bathroom.

...All in all, a rather intense response to her actions. Especially since, by all rights, only three people in the room should have any idea what she did, and none of them would be inclined to tell anyone.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Charity Dinner
"Did you see this?" Jade holds out her phone, a breaking news article on its screen.
"... Woah. That's messed-up." Jason looks a little sick at the thought.
"You think we should...?"
"Not yet. This seems like an assassination made to look like a ritual killing. If there's a pattern, or if the culprit shows up here, then we can do something."
"I don't like waiting for the other show to drop."
"I don't either, but it's the safe move for now."
"At least the raffle is going to start soon, right?"
"Yeah."
Neither of them are especially heartened by the thought.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

"Isn't it?" Rein replies with a heavy smile. He remembers that night pretty clearly. They'll find out for sure tomorrow he supposes.

Before he can respond, news breaks and he looks at the reptilian woman carefully before peering over Atya's shoulder at the headline. He releases Atya's hand to get on the phone to call Riverside Rein. That house husband watched a lot more Riverside news than he did. "Is it true? Uh-huh. Ok. Yeah, stay inside, we don't know how MAD is going to react to this. Or anyone else for that matter. But we can guess."

Rein hangs up on Rein and leans towards Atya's ear. "Yeah, it's true. They interrupted Timmy's Tea Time Trouble for the breaking news. It just hit airwaves. It's bad."
► SHOW SPOILER
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

Rein's phone confirmation seems to break Atya out of her trance. "Fuck!" She runs a hand through her hair, eyes narrowing as she tries to figure out how to proceed.

Okay. Obviously it's tragic, and a wild turn of events. But the worst thing would be to let panic spread. She has to be a reassuring presence here- that's what the people need.

"I need to run damage control. Hang in there," she says to Reinholt, leaning up to give his cheek a quick peck before hurrying over to the stage. This was originally meant for announcing the raffle winners, but it'll work for this too. She adjusts the microphone before turning to the crowd.

"Hello citizens of Riverside. First, I want to thank you all for being here tonight. Your support, and your presence, means the world to me," she begins, her voice echoing slightly through the speaker. "Unfortunately, we've just received some bad news. For those of you who haven't already heard, mayoral candidate Tilvael has been found dead. While there hasn't been an official cause of death released, it's being reported that foul play may be involved."

After waiting a moment for the gasps and murmurs to die down, she continues. "I want to take the time to express my condolences to Tilvael's family and friends. This is a great loss both to them and to our community as a whole. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this tragedy, and I can only hope that the person or persons responsible are swiftly brought to justice. Let's all take a moment of silence in Tilvael's honor."

Atya bows her head, closing her eyes. After a few long moments, she looks up again.

"Thank you. Now I also want to say that we cannot allow ourselves to fall into fear. This is an attack against Riverside, and Riverside is strong. I believe in this city, and in all of you. I know that you won't fall into panic or wild speculation. Instead, let this be a wake up call to unite, to stand together, and to put aside petty differences. Our families, our neighbors, our community- these are the pillars that keep us safe, and they are unbreakable. And my promise to you is that I will do everything in my power to strengthen those pillars, and to bring justice to whoever is responsible for this attack. Thank you."

She smiles serenely as a smattering of applause fills the room. "On a lighter note, I will be announcing the winners of the raffle shortly. Due to this news, I perfectly understand if anyone needs to head out- any prizes that aren't picked up tonight can be held for up to a week. Thank you for your patience and understanding." She waves to the audience before stepping offstage.

Wow, it's weird to be looked to as some sort of authority figure on this. It would feel more normal for people to be accusing her of committing the murder. Atya shakes her head. What a fucking night.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ironsmith wrote: Mar 07, 2024 3:10 am [Outten Inn]

"Eh, dat wohks too." Hazel shrugs. "Whateveh you'he comfohtable wit'."

"That won't be for a few hours anyway." Hana beams, shrugging her bathrobe back off again. "So kick off your shoes and stay a while. Let me just see what's on tonight..." She grabs a remote from the nightstand and points it at the TV, rapidly flicking through the channels. Besides the weather channel, which she seems to have no interest in, there's a few made-for-TV movies on (she doesn't stay long enough to pick up on any plot, but they all seem to share the same cheesy midi-string soundtrack), a wrestling match, a police procedural, one of several news channels (which is already reporting on the events at the Currency Exchange, but also doesn't seem to interest her), a cooking show, several iterations of reality TV, It's A Wonderful Life... and more things that don't seem to initially interest Hana, but might catch Ava's attention if she's at all invested in the TV.

Hazel, meanwhile, seems to have absolutely no problem with turning her back on Ava long enough to fetch a bag of popcorn from the cabinet and pop it into the microwave, her hand hovering over the number buttons as she stares at the display, fingers twiddling nervously. "...Hey, Han, is Bikini Beauties on in dis era?"

"I haven't seen it, but I'm not sure I really want to see a nature documentary right now." Hana drones.

"Eh, faih. I just dhink it's intehesting, what comes around wit' six hundhed yeehs'a elevated radiation in da sea life."

"Well, yeah, but... I don't know, I'm feeling something a little more humorous tonight, you know?"
Gullara wrote: Mar 07, 2024 3:52 am [Wandering Riverside]

Nadia looks surprised at that. She didn't think Irena would start volunteering effort like that. "I don't think she would have. I'm not sure they even have a vehicle. It'd be a valuable skill for her to learn if she wants."
[Wandering Riverside]

Irena's eyebrows raises. "Seriously? They gotta' have some vehicle to reach all those haunted places they go to? I've watched horror movies, a lot of ghost-locations are seriously remote. No way they can reach them by bus."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Wandering Riverside]

"I think you watch too many movies." Nadia replies with a smile. "I'm pretty sure most of their work is in the city, or in Inside. I'm sure there's a lot of work where they can reach easily."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Wandering Riverside]

Irena couldn't imagine there was enough spirit problems in Riverside to make a living of, then again it wasn't like she was keeping track of that sort of thing either so she had to concede on that point. Maybe they were taking the the railway all the way to Inside too. "But don't they need equipment with them? Or do they take that on the bus?"
They weren't really questions at this point, just musings.

"Either way, sounds like I could learn her mom's to drive too." Irena smirks.

At that point Nadia can spot Raheeda returning. She was hard not to considering how brightly colored both her scales and clothes were. But something seems wrong as she acts oddly muted in contrast to when she entered, not to mention that she has obviously not showered.

"Cars got four seats after all, could take them all at the same time." Irena continues, not having noticed their red-scaled friend exiting.

[Outten Inn]

"Right."
Comfortable? All of them knew that neither would be especially comfortable here. She strove to keep an open mind but it was difficult when even the people that she tried to keep an open mind to considered it naive.
Still, by being here, by staying in this room with them, she was keeping that ideal alive. Now she just had to put the money where her mouth was and not be gripped by constant paranoia.

Her thoughts are interrupted when Hana shrugged off her bathrobe, causing a raised eyebrow. Well, they sure got comfortable around quickly her at least.

Ava on the other hand seems hesitant to say at least as she, rather than sitting down in the couch, takes a chair (or armchair) and places it near the tv. Though rather than focusing on the screen she was more curious about the pairs interaction. While her eyes weren't on them her attention very much were, taking in every word they exchanged between one another.

"...don't suppose you play any board games?" She suddenly asks, she was expecting cards as there was usually a deck of them around but she was open for more yet found it unlikely they carried anything like that with them.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Outten Inn]

It's just as well Ava isn't watching them directly; Hana's state of dress deteriorates briefly as she sets about the business of getting changed into something intended for more eyes than her wife's, apparently not seeing any problem with doing so in full view of anybody else. They must have a really bizarre nudity taboo back home.

"Boahd games?" Hazel briefly looks up from her ponderance of the microwave's display. "...I don't know dat we have any heah, but Han's a regional chess champion, if ya play dat at all."

"Haze..." Hana's cheeks flush, evidently more from the compliment than the rather suggestive pose she freezes in to process it. "Come on, the region is, like, three city blocks and it's a stupidly old game. The competition is maybe a dozen people."

"And a couple hundhed bots. Just calling it like I see it, hon." Hazel beams, returning her attention to the microwave. "...Oh! Dhere's da cooking timeh..."

Hana shrugs, partly for emotive reasons and partly to test the fit of the white t-shirt she just put on. "Well, yeah, I guess that's true. But it's not really relevant anyway. I don't think they have a chessboard around here anywhere. And even if they did, that'd be leaving you out, wouldn't it?"

"...Ya can't play chess wit' three people?"

"I mean you can, but that's even more specialized and we're even less likely to find a board for that." Hana grimaces apologetically. "...Now, if we had some cards, maybe we could figure something out there."

"...Oh, yeah, dat reminds me." Hazel produced a set of still-sealed playing cards from her pocket. "Lifted dhose during ouh last gun run. Thought TV was gettin' a little bohing." She tosses the packet to Ava. "What's ya game of choice? Pokeh? Rummy? Go Fish? Oh!" She grins. "You'he a Mao gihl, ahn't ya?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Charity Dinner]

The Queen under the Mountain is quite agitated by the news, it seems. She doesn't interrupt Atya's speech or cause a scene, but she engages some other guests in conversation, expressing deep regret that one of her own people met such a grisly end in Riverside. She had no idea this place was so dangerous...
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Bird Watching]

"Oh, chronic disability, a need for control, lack of respect for autonomy... take your pick, really." The words come breezily even as Dulcinea reaches for the cup Reilana offers her. She dangles it between her fingertips, oh so easy to drop, then feints as if about to strike. The viperous glint in her eyes take on a hint of something manic when cast in the vivid glow of the animated film. "Gladly. Now get out of my sight."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

Right. Time for the raffle. After both the murder and the complicated developments in Atya's personal life over the evening, announcing winners for some stupid prizes feels exceptionally hollow. But on the other hand, that's how she feels inside most of the time anyway. What's a little more?

Taking the stage once again, Atya gives the crowd a wave. "Alright folks, thanks for waiting. I know that tonight has taken a turn for the worse, and the tragedy is still on everyone's minds. But I want you all to leave here with at least one silver lining- through your generous donations, we've been able to raise over fourteen million dollars for charity!" It's an insanely high number, but that's what happens when absurdly wealthy people want knickknacks.

Atya smiles brightly. "We'll be splitting this money between several local nonprofits, for a full list you can see the explanation brochures on our prize table. Your willingness to help others, and your commitment to investing in the community, are an inspiration to me. And you should all be inspired too! Give yourselves a big round of applause!" She leads the clapping herself, enthusiastically encouraging the crowd.

Once that's died down, she gestures towards the table. "Of course, I'm sure you're all wondering who our lucky winners are. And it is indeed time, so let's choose that now." One of her aides wheels a contraption onstage, which seems to be a glass globe mounted on a mechanical base. Atya gestures to it.

"This little snowglobe will now produce the winning results! If your name is called, head on over to the prize table and you'll be assisted in getting your reward." She pressed a button and the machine whirs to life, the glass globe filling with all the purchased tickets for the first item. After a few moments, one extends out a slot in the top with a whirring sound.

Atya plucks it out to read. "The brushstroke pheonix painting, a personal favorite... goes to Reinholdt!" Hiding a smile, she prepares the next ticket batch. She was hoping he'd get that one.

Over the next few minutes, the rest of the winners are announced.

"The space oyster heels... go to Jade Fisher!"

"Aged moongrape wine... goes to Riordan Gamsley!"

"Jade cat candle holders... goes to Sylvester Blanc!"

"Diadem of peaceful dreams... goes to Yvellios Nailo!"

"The BFT 498 chemical thrower... goes to Jason Fisher! Treat her nicely, she's been through a lot."

"Ugly fish jpeg... goes to Yuga Ripps!"

"Glamergé egg... goes to H. Lodge!"

"Corset of Shape Enhancement... goes to Mogbert! Huh."
What he could possibly want with that Atya doesn't know, but the moogle was one of the biggest spenders of the evening, so she won't second guess it.

"And finally, the personal tour of Chateau Xilo goes to Br... Brennan Bradanach?" Atya stumbles over the name, since it's certainly not the one she was expecting. What happened to Braon's promise to take one for the team and enchant her ticket? Maybe whoever this Brennan is just spent too much money to lose. Or maybe Braon was just lying and secretly hates Atya.

Feeling a little unsettled, Atya puts on a big smile and addresses the crowd once more. "Alright, thank you all so much for your donations, your presence, and your beautiful faces! Everyone please be safe on your way home tonight, don't travel alone, and I hope to see you all at the mayoral debate! Goodnight and thanks again!" Waving and blowing kisses, she makes her way offstage. The moment she's out of view she leans against a wall, exhaling and reaching up to rub her eyes. What a night.
Last edited by quillpleasant on Mar 12, 2024 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

"You too," Reinholdt replies as Atya heads up on stage. He can't say he pays too much attention to what she says up there. He's sure she's handling it well. His attention stays on the crowd now, gauging their reactions to the news, to Atya, to updates that come in. A check on the phone suggests riots haven't broken out yet, but the police are working on borrowed time almost certainly. Atya's response certainly will mollify the elite and the press already here, but it will be Felandria's response or lack thereof that'll resonate with the constituents in their homes at the moment. Perhaps enough to tip the election.

Was that the point? Would Atya assassinate a political rival to make herself look good? Would Daisy do it for her? Rein thinks back to those vulnerable moments just minutes ago and shakes the thoughts away. No, no. Perhaps it was as simple as it looked. A demon, rogue or controlled, making a move.

The crowd seems... muted by the news, but it doesn't seem like the complete disaster it could have been. Unfortunately Rein suspects that the dinner has been pushed off the front page for tomorrow. As he mingles and floats and flits from group to group, the only abnormality that stands out to him is how the Queen finds this place dangerous. She was just talking to him earlier about how dangerous it gets under the mountain. Did she truly balk at danger or did she really think the surface to be calmer? One of those greener on the other side situations? Reinholdt doesn't press into it.

Even the raffle seems overcast now, the excitement for- WOW 14 million is a lot! If he wasn't already involved with Atya, he'd be looking for where that safety deposit box is being held right now and considering re-appropriating some of that money. As enthusiastic as Atya tries to make everything, it feels mechanical. Raffle readings were always bo- Ah heck yeah, he won! Raffles are amazing!! He'll carefully make his way over to prize pickup to collect his new painting. By the time he's done, Braon's name is... not called?

Rein's eyes immediately search for the fiendling. Was that an alias of hers? Or is she just as surprised as Atya? Or did she back out at the last minute? Or maybe her magic just sucks? Not like that!
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

Braon won't be hard to locate in the crowd. Between the horns, her distinctive green cloak and the fact that she was one of the few people on the floor who seemed to think leather really was an appropriate choice for any occasion, she stood out a little bit compared to the rest of the people here tonight. She's right over- oh, wait, no, that's not her, not unless she's multiplied and transitioned in the time since Reinholdt last saw her. Those two horned men making their way to the prize table must be somebody else, though the resemblance is surprisingly uncanny.

No, there's Braon over there, who seems to be anxiously surveying the crowd. Her eyes eventually settle on the horned men, and she goes a little pale, mouthing a curse. She then flicks back and forth between the door and the stage where Atya was, before her gaze slips over to Reinholdt, and she simply stares a moment before nodding toward a relatively isolated part of the hall, starting the trek there herself.

Meanwhile, at the prize table, the horned men simultaneously clear their throats. "Excuse us." One begins.

"We're Mister Bradanach's aides, here on his behalf."

"He had to leave rather urgently to attend to a spiritual matter. We were instructed to claim any winnings he may have incurred."

"We would presume there's a physical representation of this tour, correct? A... a voucher or a ticket or something of that ilk?"

"We can also schedule a time, if that is necessary."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

Atya was already a little off-kilter tonight before the assassination story broke, and now her mind is especially muddled. Well, murder, not assassination. They don't know it was done for political reasons- it could be entirely coincidental. A burglary gone wrong, a random spree kill. It might be unconnected.

And the world might be made of pudding. Get real- this was clearly done to sway the election. But by who, and in what way?

There's a sudden horrible thought- what if this was done to cast doubt on her? If news broke of her past, it wouldn't take proof to make the public blame her. It wouldn't even take much effort at all. Ughhhh.

Her head pounding, Atya starts over towards the nearest waiter to get another drink, but she's stopped by the prize table as the horned men ask for prize clarification. She's about to wave over one of her aides to help them, but... huh. They look awfully similar to Braon. Something fishy is going on here, and it's a welcome change of pace from the swirling anxieties rushing through her head right now. She steps forward, her smile showing not a hint of her inner turmoil.

"A spiritual matter, huh? Sounds important." Atya plucks the voucher off the prize table and hands it over- she had the foresight to print one off ahead of time. The address can be found on the voucher.

"I am, of course, very busy, so scheduling will be necessary. I can do... day after tomorrow after five, Friday between the hours of twelve thirty and two forty five, or Saturday no later than eleven fifty." At least one of these is completely arbitrary, but it wouldn't do to look like she has a lot of free time.

"So, will Mister Bradanach be attending the tour himself, or sending his aides in his stead again?" she asks, tilting her head to the side. It's not quite accusatory... at least, not so much that she couldn't deny it.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ironsmith wrote: Mar 09, 2024 3:06 pm [Outten Inn]

It's just as well Ava isn't watching them directly; Hana's state of dress deteriorates briefly as she sets about the business of getting changed into something intended for more eyes than her wife's, apparently not seeing any problem with doing so in full view of anybody else. They must have a really bizarre nudity taboo back home.

"Boahd games?" Hazel briefly looks up from her ponderance of the microwave's display. "...I don't know dat we have any heah, but Han's a regional chess champion, if ya play dat at all."

"Haze..." Hana's cheeks flush, evidently more from the compliment than the rather suggestive pose she freezes in to process it. "Come on, the region is, like, three city blocks and it's a stupidly old game. The competition is maybe a dozen people."

"And a couple hundhed bots. Just calling it like I see it, hon." Hazel beams, returning her attention to the microwave. "...Oh! Dhere's da cooking timeh..."

Hana shrugs, partly for emotive reasons and partly to test the fit of the white t-shirt she just put on. "Well, yeah, I guess that's true. But it's not really relevant anyway. I don't think they have a chessboard around here anywhere. And even if they did, that'd be leaving you out, wouldn't it?"

"...Ya can't play chess wit' three people?"

"I mean you can, but that's even more specialized and we're even less likely to find a board for that." Hana grimaces apologetically. "...Now, if we had some cards, maybe we could figure something out there."

"...Oh, yeah, dat reminds me." Hazel produced a set of still-sealed playing cards from her pocket. "Lifted dhose during ouh last gun run. Thought TV was gettin' a little bohing." She tosses the packet to Ava. "What's ya game of choice? Pokeh? Rummy? Go Fish? Oh!" She grins. "You'he a Mao gihl, ahn't ya?"
[Outten Inn]

They're certainly... eccentric.
Honestly, it was expected from people who seemed to have decided to become professional criminals and actually seemed good at it.

So it wasn't really a surprise that Hana was good at other things as well.

Though that Hazel had casually just stolen a deck of cards seemed... well, like a non-crime honestly. Ava had never arrested someone for shoplifting and she hoped she never would be required to either. A warning at most.
"Mao? Isn't that the game where you make up the rules as you go along? I'm not terribly familiar with it. Poker or hold 'em are the games I know and I know that isn't terribly exciting." She holds up her palms to her side. "But I'd be open to try any game you know."
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Mar 13, 2024 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Charity Dinner
Both Fisher twins approach together to collect their prizes. Jade admires her new shoes (hopefully they fit) while Jason examines the chemical thrower with a critical eye. "Why'd you want that, anyway? You're more than capable of making your own." "Engineers don't always share insights. It pays to see how someone else does a job before you do it yourself." "Got some toxin you want to spray on people?" "I was thinking nanotrackers."
"Taking a page out of Legion's book?"
"Sure. I know a good trick when I see one. So, you going to try those on?" Jason motions at the shoes. "Sure, I don't see why not." Jade takes a seat and pulls her own high heels (black, very tall pumps) off.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!