Riverside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Riverside

Post by Gullara »

Riverside, a smaller, modern city, sitting on top of the River Syde and found some ways away from the sprawl of Inside. The city has always been in a state of flux since it came to be a part of the Nexus. Powers have risen and fallen, disasters have struck, and the climate has always been unstable. Because of all this, the people of Riverside are a hardy lot. They know what it takes to survive, and it's not always pleasant. Riverside sits on the edge of the Nexus, so while it's still prone to the strangeness common there, it's far more stable than other parts of the Nexus. A city like this is not a safe and stable place, but for many it's home and for some it's even opportunity.

Welcome to Riverside.
► The Districts
Places Within
Riverside is a very modern city, and thus a person can find most of the expected amenities. All manner of stores, a hospital, parks and playgrounds, churches, you name it. Most of these places are run and attended to by the residents of the city, regular people without players to guide them most of the time. Players are free to invent and discard these places and the people in them as suits the needs of their roleplaying. Some have been named already, Moth Park, the Golden Flagon Tavern, Sawyer's Inn, but many more are out there.

There are a number of places that have been defined by players, and can be observed and interacted with. Some of these have been listed below for reference.
► SHOW SPOILER
This thread is managed by Gullara. Please contact me for updates to the OP.

Tags:
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Re: Riverside

Post by Gullara »

Meowmai wrote:[Skate Park]

Atsede nodded along. "You gotta be pretty decent then right, to make some money from playing? I reckon if you can do that then you can manage being in a band, and like, y'know, I imagine it doesn't have to be anything serious, but fair." What Anastasia meant when she mentioned how Eliseo asked her out was a little unclear to the changeling. "Wait so like, he asked to play music with you as a date?" She asked.

She hadn't even considered the puzzle aspect as a reason for why Anastasia liked to pick locks. Atsede's mind had entirely leapt to using it as just a tool to cause chaos. But huh, that made sense. She could see how for some people it would just be an entertaining hobby. "Yeah! And, it's like, a skill that most people don't have, so that kinda makes it uniquely cool in a way."

Oh fuck. Anastasia saw the book. Fuck fuck fuck. Well, it was too late to hide it now, wasn't it? Might as well at least be honest. Atsede bashfully pulled the book up from under the rattlecans to show her. The book was titled 'To Court The Stars Themselves', and had two women on the cover- a starry and glittery woman wrapping her arms around a pretty noble woman in a fine blue dress. "It's uh, about a priestess and a noble in a king's court, meeting each other and uh..." her started to trail off and mumble, which from everything Anastasia had seen of her so far probably seemed a bit uncharacteristic of her. "Well it gets a little spicy... but uh... I read it for the drama! It's really really good okay!" She added. preemptively a bit defensive.
Arkhosia wrote:Skate Park

"Heh, I guess - you're probably right, I just worry that there'd be like, a lot of stress lugging band gear around. Making it to places on time, playing in front of potentially hundreds of people, that kind of thing." Ana shrugs, not entirely sure. Maybe Atsede's right, and she shouldn't doubt herself so much - though she doesn't get a chance to comment on these thoughts before the next question comes up.

"Oh, no," Anastasia laughs. "I mean he like, played me a song as a way of asking me out. It was... okay, I guess it was a lil cheesy, honestly - but it was cute!" Truly tailored for his target audience, it seems.

The teenager leans forward in interest to better peer at the book's cover, nodding along as Atsede explains the story to her. There's a moment where she doesn't quite understand what the changeling means by "spicy", until a faint blush creeps into her cheeks. "O-oh. Well uh, that sounds pretty cool! I mean, like, a good story is a good story, y'know? E-even if you have to skip through a couple parts sometimes." She smiles. "I uh, actually kinda like romance novels. They can be really sweet sometimes. And you don't expect them to be so... I guess like, gripping, next to more actiony stuff."
[definitely still the Skate Park]

Eliseo leans over their shoulders. "The stars themselves, eh?" Where did he come from? Why did he approach so quietly? The boy looks at them each with a highly amused smile. He's got two cups in hand, one unreasonably large and with two straws sticking out of it. "This is yours." He holds the smaller out to Atsede.
~Images by Soushiyo
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Skate Park]

"I mean like, starting out as a band though like, nobodies gonna have that many fans right? And then by the time you do, won't yah be used to it?" Did Anastasia think she would become an overnight success or something?

"Oh like, he wrote a love song huh?" Yeah, that did sound a little lame and cheesy. But hey, if it worked, she wasn't gonna be the one to judge. Much.

Atsede looked at Anastasia incredulously as she talked about the book. Like sure, the changeling agreed with most of what the fox was saying- it was her biggest shame that she found these books as interesting as she did- but... "Yeah, it's good! But wait, you mean you actually skip those bits?" What a nerd! Seriously, how easily embarrassed do you have to be to-

"Oh shit!" Atsede swore as Eliseo interrupted, her own cheeks turning a little red as she fumbled before hastily buried the book back in her bag. Uh, ahem, hi, yeah, thanks." She took the milkshake from him with some uncharacteristic bashfulness.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Skate Park

"What? I, uh - well, no, I don't actually skip it, I just - I-I mean it's embarrassing to admit it, y'know- The poor foxgirl starts to turn positively red as she speaks, clearly having hoped to avoid doing so. Which does, incidentally, prime Anastasia almost perfectly for Eliseo's reappearance.

"AH!" Anastasia jumps when her boyfriend finally makes his presence known, getting maybe a half-inch of air in the process before she lands back in her seat and whirls around to face him with a startled look and a hand over her chest. "Oh my gosh, how long were you there?"
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Skate Park]

"You know, long enough." The boy's shit eating grin tells them everything they need to know. "Didn't know you two were starting a book club or something. And I wasn't invited."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[A casual walk]

Jim should know better than go for walks in the nexus, anything can happen once you leave your home.

But to be fair, anything can also pretty much happen while you're home too so perhaps one shouldn't be too paranoid.

Since if fate decides to screw with you there's little to nothing you can do about it.

And today it seems to have something special in store for Jim.

It's not often you hear bird song in the middle of a city but there are large patches tamed wilderness within the city that doesn't belong to wildside.
This is where Jim is when he starts to hear them.

pa-chip-chip-chip per-chick-a-ree

tit-tit-tit-tit

tee-zee-tee-zee-tee-zee-tee

pa-chip-chip-chip

Wait, did one of those sound a bit unusual?
But before he can investigate he can feel something landing on his shoulder.
It's a tiny bird.
Or more accurately, it's a post-bird as all that's left is its skeletal frame.
But as he's looking at it another less-than-alive bird lands on his other shoulder.

tee-zee-tee-zee-tee-zee-tee It sings in a unnervingly deep tone.

Then more skeletal animals start to appear out of the underbrush.

A small canine of some sort, a smaller canine of some sort, a third canine that is somewhere between the other two in size...

It's honestly hard to tell just what animals they're supposed to be as they're just skeletons.
Then perhaps the most terrifying of them all appears, something Jim is pretty sure has to be a moose due to its sheer size.
It simply jumps out the tall grass nearby and positions itself right in front of him.
Like the other animal skeletons it has this faint dark aura, like it was covered in almost transparent black gelatin, which is what keeping its bones together.

Then it opens its maw and speaks in a deep resounding voice. "Jimeus, do not fear. We do not mean you any harm. Perish the thought. We are just curious about you."

"Yeh', since you're courting the princess, aren't ya'?" One of the canines chimes in as it gets up in its hind legs, staring curiously at Jim with its empty eye sockets.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

A Casual Walk

Okay yeah wow this sure is a thing that is happening. Jim opens his mouth in shock, but sound doesn't come out. He takes a few steps back, cursing that Barnabas isn't here. It'll be harder to use any magic without his focus here. Could this be some necromancer? Malechenar might have some spooky mages like that, but he and Sticks haven't talked to them in a while. One of Jaahlyn's associates? She has some death-related aspects to her job.
"Ok. So. First off, Jim is not short for...what it is that you just said. Also I don't know any royalty, so you're going to have to be more specific." Obviously courting probably refers to Jaahlyn unless they're being metaphorical, but since when is she royalty? They're probably using the word princess mockingly.

The Toy Tinker

Jim smiles at Sticks. "A staff is fine, Sticks. It's a classic." That and sceptres, but staves are more impressive.
"Um. I don't know how you'd get the pressure to compress something into a diamond, but I can think of something to burn? I feel like you'd need a huge amount of material to make a big enough stone even if you had all the heat and pressure." He is of course, imagining a stereotypical big gem-topped staff. That would be a rather large stone indeed.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Casual Walk

"You know she hates it when we call her that." One of the other canines remarks as they turn to look at the first one.
"But it's the truth, ain't it?" The first one counters with but a glance before turning back to Jim. "And I always tell it how it is. Your broad is a princess, bucko."

At this point the moose walks up closer and interrupts what seemed to have been the start of an argument between the skeletons. "They mean Jaahlyn, Jimeus. The princess." They clarify, but continue before Jim gets a chance to protest the continued use of that name. "But as I said, we're curious about you. Since any mortal that attracts the attention of an immortal must surely be great, and at such a young age too!"

Now all the skeletons stare at him expectingly, seemingly believing he's about to go an saga of all his heroic deeds.

The Toy Tinker

"There are a lot of things like that in the underworld, which is where we will be going. So you could always find something down there." Jaahlyn points out. "It's dangerous, but there's also a lot of wealth."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Casual Walk

Jim squints at the skeletons before something drops into his brain.
"Oh right. She did kind of mention that. She said it was so long ago it didn't matter." It was when they were at the bar on their first date. Jaahlyn remarked that she'd had money and servants once but it was a long time ago.
"Well, first off, I'm a wizard, thank you very much." It's the response he feels like they expect of him.
"And who am I addressing anyway?"
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Skate Park]

Atsede was in crisis mode. Her cool status had been potentially compromised with the clearly cooler of the couple! Code red! Shit, she never shoulda showed Anastasia the contents of her bag. What to do? Try and distract Eliseo by moving the topic on? No, look at that grin, that could never work. Play it off maybe? But how!? Maybe a playful insult could save her.

"Yeah, well... uh, didn't realize you knew how to read." She retorted, though with a stumble at the start. Also shit, that was just meant to be banter, but too the wrong person that could sound kinda mean. Was it too early for that, having just barely met?
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Skate Park

Anastasia raises a hand to her mouth, unsuccessfully stifling a giggle. "Y-yeah I mean, she's got a point. You've never been interested in anything I read before," she teases, trying to simultaneously press the attack and smooth out the edges to Atsede's retort. What she doesn't succeed in doing, however, is banishing the embarrassment from her face.

"Anyways, um," the foxgirl looks around, "Do you plan on like, sharing that?" Ana gestures to the very large milkshake in Eliseo's hands, raising an eyebrow and scooching over to make room for Eliseo to sit beside her.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Casual Walk

Perhaps Jim should have asked who they were before declaring himself a wizard. Since any actual answers from the skeletons are buried in an avalanche of questions and excited animal noises.

What was his most powerful spell? Did he have his own tower? How many foes had he vanquished? Did he have any spirits ensorcelled to his service? Had he taught 'the princess' any of his magic?

Those are the few he can make out as they're all asked at the same time as the bone-creatures have completely surrounded him. There must be more than a dozen of them. Most simply tiny forest critters but there's what appears to be a pair of deer, a boar and of course the moose.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Casual Walk

Jim sighs and he flicks a wrist at the skeleton animals, producing six little flashes of light. He isn't actually expecting it to blind them (they don't have eyes) but he thinks it should be a sufficient display of hedge magic.
"I can't answer all of you when you're talking all at once." he tells them with a frown.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Meowmai wrote: Aug 07, 2022 5:44 am [Skate Park]

Atsede was in crisis mode. Her cool status had been potentially compromised with the clearly cooler of the couple! Code red! Shit, she never shoulda showed Anastasia the contents of her bag. What to do? Try and distract Eliseo by moving the topic on? No, look at that grin, that could never work. Play it off maybe? But how!? Maybe a playful insult could save her.

"Yeah, well... uh, didn't realize you knew how to read." She retorted, though with a stumble at the start. Also shit, that was just meant to be banter, but too the wrong person that could sound kinda mean. Was it too early for that, having just barely met?
Arkhosia wrote: Aug 07, 2022 8:43 am Skate Park

Anastasia raises a hand to her mouth, unsuccessfully stifling a giggle. "Y-yeah I mean, she's got a point. You've never been interested in anything I read before," she teases, trying to simultaneously press the attack and smooth out the edges to Atsede's retort. What she doesn't succeed in doing, however, is banishing the embarrassment from her face.

"Anyways, um," the foxgirl looks around, "Do you plan on like, sharing that?" Ana gestures to the very large milkshake in Eliseo's hands, raising an eyebrow and scooching over to make room for Eliseo to sit beside her.
[Skate Park]

Eliseo slides in next to Ana, his grin unaffected by the girls' words. "I read at least well enough to have passed grade one, so that's gotta count for something. Maybe I woulda taken an interest if I knew what kinda spicy stuff you were into."
~Images by Soushiyo
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Skate Park]

Aw hell yeah, girl power! Anastasia's backing her up! This ups the fox's cool rating in Atsede's head for sure. "Just first grade? I dunno, there's a lot of big words in this one, might be tricky for yah." She took a sip of the chocolate milkshake. It was quite good! And with luck the cold might chase away that slight blush at having been caught like this.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Skate Park]

Anastasia blushes a bit when Eliseo talks about her reading spicy stuff, but she makes an attempt to bluff past it today. "Yeah, I bet you'd need me to read it out loud to you," she teases, entirely failing to see the obvious trap she's set herself in. This might be because she's busy swinging herself over so she can sit sidesaddle on Eliseo's lap with a smirk.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Skate Park]

"Oh I know a few words. Like 'erotica' for one. I'm gonna guess there's a lot of mention of smoldering looks and bared bosoms. Or is that not spicy enough? What about penetrating manhood and glistening folds?" He replies quite sarcastically. "I think I'm on the right track, hm?" He gives Ana's butt a little squeeze as she settles on his lap.
~Images by Soushiyo
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Skate Park]

Oh gods. Those sure were a choice of words. Even the foul-mouthed changeling who had been reading such material was taken aback, and she blustered about for a moment while trying to respond.

"It's not just erotica!" Atsede finally found herself protesting. She didn't know why, she was only damning herself further, but she felt the need to defend the books honor. It was a good read, okay!? "It's written better than that!" Honestly? This wasn't really the case, but she was about to admit to that. "And anyways there's no... 'penetrating manhoods' because..." She froze, suddenly realizing the other thing that talking about this books contents might reveal about her. Fuck.

"But whatever," she mumbled, slumping backwards and seeming defeated.

Also ow. That backwards slump hurt. Curse that stupid crash on that stupid ramp.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Skate Park]

Oh dear. The foxgirl squeaks when she feels Eliseo's hand on her, her face going red as her boyfriend just casually rattles off all these PG-13 and Rated-R terms with the casual ease of a grocery list. There's a moment of silence between her and Atsede before she glances between the two teens, sensing a bit of a vibe shift.

Oh. Atsede wasn't... out, was she?

"H-hey! Lay off!" Anastasia protests, giving Eliseo a gentle shove before crossing her arms and pouting up at him. Huh, was he getting taller lately? "Wow, are you really teasing us for reading spicy stuff? I mean, like, it sounds like you've been reading it too!" Is 'hypocrisy' too big a word for Eliseo? Either way, his girlfriend is actually looking a little annoyed with him now.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Skate Park]

Eliseo's not blind to the shift in mood. "Hey come on, why am I in trouble all of a sudden? You two were ganging up on me." He protests. "I was just teasing. I didn't mean anything by it."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Keeper wrote: Aug 07, 2022 4:34 pm A Casual Walk

Jim sighs and he flicks a wrist at the skeleton animals, producing six little flashes of light. He isn't actually expecting it to blind them (they don't have eyes) but he thinks it should be a sufficient display of hedge magic.
"I can't answer all of you when you're talking all at once." he tells them with a frown.
A Casual Walk

While some skeletons stop dead silent others either didn't hear or understand him as they continue to prattle on about the trick he just performed until the moose bellows. "SILENCE!"

And then it's all Jim can hear.

Until the moose speaks once again. "...so what is the greatest magical feat you have performed, Jimeous?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Casual Walk

Well. He supposes he can give some vague details. They don't need to know specifics. "Well, I did once use a staff to explode a large structure with a concentrated beam of light."
It was a bident and he used it to destroy a huge machine on the ceiling of not-Sticks' vault, but he's sworn to secrecy on some of those details. Hopefully they can accept that.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Toy Tinker]

"Oh, we're not talking about a particularly large stone, but you're right, you'd need a good deal of extra material to pack the process," says Sticks. "Fear not, I have my means."

"That said, Jaahlyn makes a fair point. Although I think the intention is to have a tool for Jim before entering the underworld."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Casual Walk

There's a collective gasp from the skeletons as they hear this.
But just then, not even waiting for the others to quiet down, a larger bird skeleton asks a question. "Can you humiliate ol' Leer Eye?"

This name causes the other skeletons to gasp again, but out of fright rather than amazement and he can see some of them even starting to shiver and hide.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Casual Walk

Jim stares in bewilderment at the bird.
"Uh.
I don't know who that is."
Jim says flatly. Is he supposed to know people in the skeleton animal community?

The Toy Tinker

"Hm. Are you saying you could make the trip before our big expedition, Jaahlyn?" As a psychopomp visiting the underworld should be normal for her but she's always made it sound like it's...well just because it's business doesn't make it not a decently big deal, right? Raiding the underworld for big gems isn't just a casual Saturday romp.
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Arkhosia wrote: Aug 09, 2022 1:12 pm [Skate Park]

Oh dear. The foxgirl squeaks when she feels Eliseo's hand on her, her face going red as her boyfriend just casually rattles off all these PG-13 and Rated-R terms with the casual ease of a grocery list. There's a moment of silence between her and Atsede before she glances between the two teens, sensing a bit of a vibe shift.

Oh. Atsede wasn't... out, was she?

"H-hey! Lay off!" Anastasia protests, giving Eliseo a gentle shove before crossing her arms and pouting up at him. Huh, was he getting taller lately? "Wow, are you really teasing us for reading spicy stuff? I mean, like, it sounds like you've been reading it too!" Is 'hypocrisy' too big a word for Eliseo? Either way, his girlfriend is actually looking a little annoyed with him now.
Gullara wrote: Aug 09, 2022 1:27 pm [Skate Park]

Eliseo's not blind to the shift in mood. "Hey come on, why am I in trouble all of a sudden? You two were ganging up on me." He protests. "I was just teasing. I didn't mean anything by it."
[Skate Park]

Oops. Atsede hadn't meant to sour the mood like this. She certainly hadn't meant to start any drama between the couple. Still, the changeling had not missed how quickly Anastasia had jumped to her defense again. Had she realized what was going on? If that was the case, she didn't know if that was a good or bad thing. Bad, because she hadn't meant to come out to anyone so soon. Good, because at least it seemed like she was supporting her? Ugh, this was a mess.

"Hey, sorry, it's nothing. Not your fault. Just uh, remembered something unpleasant." She tried reassuring him, although she was still visibly... uncomfortable? Did that sound plausible? She hoped so. She didn't want to drag everyone down.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Skate Park

"Oh, don't worry Atsede, it's fine - it's not your fault Eliseo can't pick up on signals as well as I do," Ana assures, giving Eliseo a playful poke in the ribs. "He's usually better than this, I think being intimidated by just how cool you are has him off his game today."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Skate Park]

"Apparently something like that." Eliseo arches an eyebrow at Ana. "But yeah, I'm sorry too. I probably put my foot in my mouth. Happens from time to time."

"Anyway, we should probably drink these before they totally melt." The boy has a slightly sly look at he holds up the large milkshake in front of Ana. "Hm?" Or right, this stunt.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Keeper wrote: Aug 11, 2022 12:32 am A Casual Walk

Jim stares in bewilderment at the bird.
"Uh.
I don't know who that is."
Jim says flatly. Is he supposed to know people in the skeleton animal community?

The Toy Tinker

"Hm. Are you saying you could make the trip before our big expedition, Jaahlyn?" As a psychopomp visiting the underworld should be normal for her but she's always made it sound like it's...well just because it's business doesn't make it not a decently big deal, right? Raiding the underworld for big gems isn't just a casual Saturday romp.
A Casual Walk

"Don't listen to him, Jimeus!" The moose moves over as if trying to block Jim's vision of the bird.

"Yeah, he's just trying to put you in danger, mate!" One of the canines agrees as the rest of the skeletal animals seems to whisper among each other.

"Ye' can't silence me!" The bird insists as it flies up into the air, over the moose. "Ol' Leer Eye ain't one of us! He's a evil fey that hurt the princess! Hurt her good!" Many of the other animals stares disapprovingly(?) at the bird as it now circles over Jim.
"If ye're a powerful mage ye' can finally put em' in their place!"

The Toy Tinker

The satyr nods. "Yeah, I could dream walk us there. It'll be quick too. Just in and out and we'll be out with whatever precious stone you want." She smiles confidently.

Hm... maybe she should tell Ana about the ability at some point? Her family seemed to be a bit short of cash...
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Toy Tinker]

"Oh, well, that sounds very interesting! Dream walking? I'm not familiar," says Sticks. "Praytell, how do dreams take you into the underworld? Mm, perhaps some connection between death and sleep? They're so often compared in nearly every theological or mythological system that a mystical transposition is bound to be possible, regardless of any actual metaphysical conjunction."

"That is to say, erm, sleep is linked so closely with death from a symbolic perspective that magical travel between the land of dreams and the land of death should be possible by the beliefs of spiritual people alone acting as a kind of bridge. Is that the case with you, Jaahlyn?"