Riverside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Re: Riverside

Post by Arkhosia »

[Scavenging]

Dulcie furrows her brow. Shit, he wasn't going to take that idea seriously, was he? Ridiculous, as if someone with a bad knee can't clerk. Should she frame it as asking for a friend? No, that could make him remember Reilana was out there even further! How the hell is he going to steal his attention back from the window?

"I - well -" Dulcie begins to prepare a sound argument against such a biased assumption... and then, all of a sudden, something wells in her diaphragm. "It's not as if I can't - ack-ahem- ahagh -eghk-" she doubles over onto her cane in a coughing fit, hand snapping up to cover her mouth.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Tags:
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Scavenging]

The shopkeep's head snaps back toward Dulcie. That's a bad sounding cough. "Miss? Are you okay?" He steps a bit close, like he can help her somehow. At least if she doubles all the way over he can catch her.

Reilana gets back to the base of the tree, and it's barely a moment of extra effort to get back to the ground, She hops down the last little bit, cradling her prize in her arms. Phew, and no one yelled at her! She threads both her arms through the bag's drawstrings, wearing it like a backpack, scoops up her purse, and looks around back at the store. Hopefully if Duclie's keeping an eye out she can see that the job's done.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Scavenging]

"I - aheh- no, no, I'm- I'm fine, really," Dulcie responds, eyes widening briefly as she glances at her palm before clasping her hand closed. She looks up and waves the man away. "Thank you so much for your help, really. I- I should probably be going now." She steps away awkwardly, finishing the transaction and leaving the store with the boxes in a bag under her arm. Her expression is cheery, but Reilana can probably tell there's something wrong.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Scavenging]

"Erm, alright then. You take care." He watches after her as she leave, uncertainty colouring his features.

"Hey!" Reilana grins at Dulcie as she emerges, her excitement obscuring her friend's state for the moment. "Mission accomplished. I really owe you one for that." She stops and takes a closer look at Dulcie, her expression shifting to immediate concern. "Hey, are you okay?"
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Scavenging]

"Hey, I knew you could do it! Though you are lucky I'm such an accomplished wingwoman," Dulcie brags, flashing Reilana a playful smile. But then, the question comes, and she hesitates, that effervescent façade cracking. "Well, um, about that... erm, Kahu? I... I think we need to talk." She opens her hand, allowing her friend to see a splash of scarlet phlegm.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Scavenging]

If she was worried before, now all levity has drained from her. She could stare a hole through that hand. Her stomach ties up like a knot. When she looks up to meet her friend's eye again she looks lifeless. "You're getting worse." It wasn't a question. Reilana had known in the back of her mind that this could happen, but...
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Scavenging]

"I- yes, it's... it's getting worse," Dulcie admits, some small part of her breaking to admit it. Gods, it hurt to see Reilana so devastated. She moves to sit down on a bench nearby, and motions for her to do the same.

"It's started to metastasize. I... I've been trying to find the words to tell you. The chemo, it... it hasn't been working as well this time. I- I didn't want to worry you more, at first, but...." Suddenly, she lets out an angry huff, closing her eyes and pressing a hand to her brow. "Ugh! And all because I didn't want to get rid of this stupid leg! I'm such an idiot!"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Scavenging]

Reilana sits. God she's shaking. She clasps her hands together, trying to regain some control. "Okay- okay, but you can do it now, right? I know you wanted to save your leg, but if it's got to be done..." She looks down at Dulcie's hand again. It wasn't her leg that made her cough up blood. She turns her face up again, her eyes emploring Dulcinea. "Th-they can do something, right?"
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Scavenging]

"Rei, I- I don't know!" Dulcinea stares into her best friend's eyes, her own ice-blues welling with tears. "They can chop off the leg, but - it's already in my hip, and - if it's in my lungs, then maybe it's getting to my other organs, and-" Saying it out loud is too painful to bear, so instead she just sniffles, blinks her eyes clear and pulls Reilana into a tight hug.

"Gods, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to ruin your big moment, I just -" Oh dear, now she's really crying isn't she? "Can we just... go to my place? And then you can show me this cool new dead thing, and we can cuddle up and play some games together? And just... pretend this conversation never happened? Please?" A perfectly reasonable request, really.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Scavenging]

Reilana squeezes Dulcie like she doesn't want to ever let her go. She doesn't. "I want to. I want to do all those things. I want to do them forever." She insists, her voice growing with conviction. No, she couldn't lose Dulcinea, no matter what it takes.

She pulls back from the hug a bit, she needs to look her in the eyes. She's crying herself, her mascara already running. But she doesn't care about that. "I need you to promise me you won't give up. I need- I need you to-" She chokes back a sob, unable to continue.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Scavenging]

"We- we will. We will, I- Dulcie blinks her tears away again as Reilana pulls back, hoping desperately that she doesn't notice the rosy blush in her cheeks - or at least, a part of her does. The other part of her deeply hopes it sparks some realizations.

"Ohmigod, Rei- Kahu, please- stop crying you big baby, I- won't give up, I promise you! I'd never do that!" Dulcinea breaks the hug to reach down and clutch Reilana's hand in hers, squeezing it tightly heedless of the mess that started this whole sob session. "I won't leave you. I'll stay by your side as long as I can."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Scavenging]

"Good. I- I couldn't imagine being without you." And as far as she's concerned she won't. She has no idea where this thought is going right now, but if there's anything she has to say about it-

Despite Dulcie's scolding, she can't stop the tears from flowing right now. It's just- She never wanted to believe things could get this far. Even even she learned that the cancer was back, Dulcie had fought it before. She was so strong. Oh god, she's going to fall apart here. "I think we should go."
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Scavenging]

"I- yes, let's go," Dulcie agrees, reaching for her cane and moving unsteadily to stand up - but although she breaks the embrace, she doesn't entirely let go, leading her Reilana by the hand. She offers her a weak smile. "Dad should be home by now, I bet he'll make us hot cocoa if he asks."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

"Ah. You don't have to- oh. Ok." Well, HALlelujah only intended to tell Tauron that he didn't need to show up at all, but the strange Phyrexian went anyways to see the results in person. Probably needing some sort of emotional closure by seeing Ilpholin for himself. Or something. Non-electronic lifeforms were weird and baffling.

Nothing stops nor aids Tauron as he looks at the body. Mister Squiggles chitters to excuse himself, both needing a moment to himself and to prepare to tell Nahlrae the news. That's going to be not fun. It's a bit awkward as the giant mechanical spider leaves the room, carefully skirting around Tauron when he does.
► SHOW SPOILER
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Gullara wrote: Dec 13, 2022 3:25 am [Fight or Flight]

"Irena, don't encourage that." Nadia flashes her an unimpressed look before turning back to the teens. "Are you not going to tell me who did this?"

Eliseo heaves a sigh. "Come on, mom, that's just going to make more trouble. It's over; don't worry about it."

"That's ridiculous. They can't just get away with hitting her." Nadia protests.

"How do you think it's gonna go when it gets out that my mom called the school about it? It's not worth it." Nadia opens her mouth to respond, but Eliseo cuts her off. "It's no use arguing. I'm not telling."

Nadia purses her lips, but then changes tactics. She looks to Atsede instead. "He's not the one that they attacked. Don't you want them to have some proper consequences?"
Shadowcaller wrote: Dec 13, 2022 8:54 am [Fight or Flight]

Irena actually let's out a chuckle as Atsede claims that she kissed their girlfriends before they did. "Ha! Nice, kiddo. Show them what's up." She looks like she was actively considering giving Atsede a give-me-five when Nadia's death-glare-of-disapproval is turned her way.

"Hey, I'm not encouraging anything." Irena objects. At least that's now how she saw it.
Then she turns back to Asede and Eliseo.
"But come on Kid, you're actually letting them get away with this scot-free? You didn't even get to punch back."
Since for once she was completely on her wives side here. Well, she usually was but only publicly. Eliseo can tell the difference between when she's pretending or not. Pretending means she barely says a word and is just nodding in agreement as she knows she can't keep her big mouth in check.

"If they see that you're not even resisting you're just making yourself even more of a target." Well, Nadia's sentiments was probably a bit different than Irena's here... "Since you know, we could already tell the principle what happened without giving away any names. If these kids are as a big a menace as you claim and you already have a history with them it probably won't be too hard for them to figure out who it was with this context. Then you technically didn't even narc on them." That or she could pay those kids a 'visit', but she wouldn't even mention that possibility out loud.
[Fight or Flight]

Atsede rolls her eyes at both the parents- a dangerous move. "Of course I want them to face consequences, I'm not letting them get away with that shit! But I'm no snitch, either. Besides, good luck convincing anyone it wasn't me who started it." The changeling had a bit of a history of getting into trouble by now. "If they try some bullshit like that again then I'll be ready next time." She shrugged, as if that settles things. Sure, now that she knows they're out for her, she can just win the 3v1 next time, right? "And nobodies gonna think I'm letting them walk all over me or whatever. They pussied out the moment they couldn't gang up on me anymore, they damn well know I can kick their asses."
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Project Icarus]

Tauron's all four claws twitch once his eyes seem to register the body in the room. The reaction almost makes him look eager as the rest of his body is completely motionless as he seems to take in the sight.

Then he suddenly animates again, the long claws of one of his arms taps what could be his chin in a gesture of thoughtfulness. "I can repair her but the brain must be partly replaced at this point I'm afraid." If the HALlelujah has an access-port in this room he will turn towards it at this point. "While the 'black box' I installed in her should have the data such a replacement would need, the implant would require some... context. There would be a lot of data that needs arranging in the right order, essentially double-checking all her memories so that they come back the right way. Besides Mr. Squiggles himself is there someone who would have shared a lot of Ilpholin's experiences?"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Scavenging]

Reilana stands with her and holds onto her hand tight. Her mind is already whirring. No, she has no intention of letting Dulcie go. Not if there's a single thing she can do. She nods to Dulcie. "Yeah, that sounds good."

[Fight or Flight]

Nadia sighs at Irena's approach. No she doesn't approve of any of that either. Why is it so hard to just tell a teacher or the principal?

"We can handle ourselves, alright? If there was a real problem maybe, but these are just some blowhards that don't have what it takes to back it up. It's fine."

Nadia purses her lips, but then says, "Fine." Echoing his statement, if absolutely not agreeing. "But if I here anyone else has laid a finger on any of your heads you bet that I'm going over you and doing this my way." And with that she stalks out of the room before the kids can give any protest.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Fight or Flight]

Irena looks at Nadia in surprise.

Huh.

The sigh was expected, her wife didn't often approve of her methods, but was she really about to giving up the life-long struggle against the Kid like that? Well, Irena wasn't going to give up quite that easy.

She raises her index finger. "One condition." She remarks with a meaningful pause.
"You tell us-" She glances at Nadia again. "-uh, or just me how you got back at them. With a promise of no consequences for whatever you will do."
Ironsmith wrote: Dec 17, 2022 8:37 am [Room with a Goat]

...Oh. Um, good. That's... that's good to know.

It really is. If she can be certain Baphoreth is being honest, that is. She's run into people who have claimed to have no interest in her that way whatsoever who later turned out to be either lying through their teeth or painfully lacking in self-awareness. Both of which made life more than a little awkward for her.

Thankfully, before the sentiment can pull up any such instances, Baphoreth changed the subject. That was nice of... her? It's hard to tell, but she's assuming since that's part of Jaahlyn, they share a sex.

Well... yeah. We've all been together since we left the Abyss. And for a while before we left it, too. We've been leaning on each other this whole time, and to be perfectly frank... we don't really have anyone else.

It doesn't take long for Melody's mind to make her point for her. In life, she was always a shy girl who had trouble making friends (real friends, at any rate), and her home life was...

Ugh.

So she didn't really have much of a social circle. Which probably wasn't a surprise to anyone who's been paying attention, which would include Baphoreth.

Exstacy was sort of her opposite in that regard, from what Melody remembered. Total party girl, the type who would bring beer to any casual social event and not leave until the cops came. Melody thought she must have been popular, but as she confessed to Malady during a particularly rough night, most of the relationships she ended up fostering this way were temporary and superficial; long enough to hit a high point, and then abruptly cut off before there were any real commitments involved.

skrrrrrrrch!

thwam!

The memories around Melody get a little blurry here. There's a brief moment when Exstacy had pulled her into a surprising, passionate kiss, followed by a hard shove, the street spinning under her as she stumbles in a drunken daze, and the flash of headlights coming her way, along with the scream of brakes being hit far too late to avoid disaster.

...That's... probably an extreme example.

Jaahlyn's already heard Marianne's sob story, and when it passes in front of Melody's eyes, it'll seem unchanged; a quiet confession on a sleepless night that she'd been complicit in some shady business in life, which was materially rewarding but left her feeling guilty, and eventually ended with her own intoxication-assisted death. Melody was never quite convinced it was an accident, but Mania was far too driven a succubus for the only alternative she could think of to make much sense, either. In any case, whatever associates she had in life were dead or dying when they finally got out of the Abyss, and Mania hadn't been intent on reconnecting with them.

Euphoria probably had that problem even more so. Five hundred years of demonhood... she's almost certainly outlived anyone she could have called a friend, if she didn't alienate them or see to their deaths herself. Melody tried to ask her about it once.

Once.

The memory associated with that incident is just a sensation of pure, undiluted panic. Melody must have blocked out whatever happened there, and clearly never broached the subject again.

...That might be giving the wrong impression, though. The very next thing she remembers is the two of them sitting in a booth together with a pair of half-eaten sundaes in front of them. Melody has her head buried in Euphoria's side, while Euphoria is gently stroking her hair and quietly shushing her, urging her not to make a scene in public. The other two succubi are nowhere to be seen; this was a moment between the two of them and nobody else. They would go on to spend the rest of the evening writing a poem together, which Euphoria would later record and put to somber piano music. The resulting track was never released to the public; it wasn't a DEATHKISS song. It was just Euphoria trying her hardest to apologize to Melody for being so harsh with her earlier.

Melody still has that CD. It's in the top drawer of her dresser back home.

...Yeah. We, um... just each other, for the most part. I think Jaahlyn's the first time we've ever had somebody come around to us. In person, at least... I'm not sure the fans really quite... count.

Baphoreth probably recognizes this memory. It might be a bit surreal, watching it from the outside, seeing Jaahlyn perform for them from Melody's perspective, with the rest of the band working to wash a poorly-graffiti'd phallus off the tour bus. Or seeing her again at the concert, shortly after Ava's bombing; most of the world around her is faded and darkened, and she can't hear anything other than a high-pitched ringing, but there Jaahlyn is, like an angel, coming to their defense. And then again, at the hospital. Or not so long ago, at the graveyard, coming to help her again.

And then yet again, at the temple. Which is especially bizarre and dreamy, since it's a memory that was itself formed within a dream.

...Sorry. I'm, uh... that's probably super uncomfortable for you, isn't it? I'll try to think about something else.

...It's easy being with you, sacred simplicity
As long as we're together, there's no place I'd rather be~♪
[Room with a Goat]

If Baphoreth is sharing anything back it's difficult to read. As opposed to a steady stream of consciousness with new thoughts and feelings being projected Melody instead get a continual feeling of affection from her. Not the lovers kind of affection, more the kind you get from a loving grandparent that supports you no matter what you do. A kind of unconditional love that nonetheless betray little else about the fey.

While she communicated with Jaahlyn there was a chaotic if at times brutal honesty but Baphoreth seems to reveal nothing about herself other than how much she seemed to care.

But there is one activity that Baphoreth engages in that should be noted. She could to a limited degree see the past and that's what one of her eyes were now focused on. Trying to determine how Melody had died or more specifically, if it had been an accident or not.

Regarding the memory of Jaahlyn performing Baphoreth didn't find it especially confusing. Since in a way Jaahlyn was separate from her so it wasn't even like seeing herself. Just a different part of her whole.

This Melody will actually learn as Baphreth breaks her silence to respond. "It's alright, child. Seeing myself perform is at worst bittersweet. I'm sure another artist will understand how easy it is to catch yourself making some mistake. Always thinking how you could have done better. But at the same time it pleases me immensely that you consider it such a strong and positive memory. I'm sure you feel the same way when fans make you into something positive and enjoyable in their own lives. Since that's the connection between the artist and the people who perceives it, no? You put your thoughts and feelings into your work and they feel them through it and connect it to their own lives." She makes a meaningful pause. "There are few things as powerful as that. It's a great deal of power to wield."

[Dulcie Dreams]

The goat isn't supposed to be here~

Another stray thought in the constant stream that made up the dream.

Yet it stood out.
Just like the goat did.

Since once the thought had struck it was hard to get rid off. As again and again, no matter what outlandish scenario her consciousness invented the goat was somehow there. It didn't always manifest as a full goat. Sometimes simply as a head. Other times just as a pair of black eyes.

Goats didn't have black eyes~

This thought also stood out for some reason. Like the one before it it quickly seemed to infect her dream. Since there was something about those eyes that drew her thoughts to a particular point. One that had haunted her for so long.

Death~

The goat was death.
It was finally coming for her.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Dulcie Dreams]

Dulcie's rest tonight was rather tumultuous - something she'd grown used to over the past few months, truth be told. Something about chemo made her night's sleep terribly easy to break. Many times, she'd spring awake at three and spend fruitless hours curled back up, waiting for sleep to return until the sunrise warmed her window shades.

And yet, tonight's flavor of tumult was different. Sleep was deep and wonderful and full of the warmest dreams, glowing with summer days and perfect dates and sweet confections. But something kept lurking in the corners no matter how bright or outlandish or personal the dreams became. Something dark, something unpleasant.

Something that sent a shiver down Dulcie's spine, no matter how happy her surroundings made her.

In the dream, Dulcie sits up in a sprawling pink bed. A thick fleece comforter pools around her waist, and the girl's strawberry pink hair is mildly mussed by the mountain of pillows behind her. Next to her, Jaahlyn can spot someone else - a dark-skinned girl with a head of black hair and her face buried in the pillows. She's fast asleep, snuggled deep into the heavenly soft expanse and snoring contentedly.

Dulcie turns and looks down at the goat standing at the side of her bed in this warped facsimile of her room. She squints, confused - and then, a spark of recognition.

"You're Death, aren't you?" She asks, astonished - and then, after a moment, furrows her brow. "Well! You're not even supposed to be here yet, dummy! The doctors say I have at least six more months in me, maybe even a year. So- so go away! Shoo!" Dulcie pouts, crosses her arms, and waves a hand dismissively. It's a little hard to take seriously given the frankly adorable set of d20-patterned pajamas she's wearing
~Welcome to Night Vale
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Dec 19, 2022 11:49 pm
[Room with a Goat]

If Baphoreth is sharing anything back it's difficult to read. As opposed to a steady stream of consciousness with new thoughts and feelings being projected Melody instead get a continual feeling of affection from her. Not the lovers kind of affection, more the kind you get from a loving grandparent that supports you no matter what you do. A kind of unconditional love that nonetheless betray little else about the fey.

While she communicated with Jaahlyn there was a chaotic if at times brutal honesty but Baphoreth seems to reveal nothing about herself other than how much she seemed to care.

But there is one activity that Baphoreth engages in that should be noted. She could to a limited degree see the past and that's what one of her eyes were now focused on. Trying to determine how Melody had died or more specifically, if it had been an accident or not.

Regarding the memory of Jaahlyn performing Baphoreth didn't find it especially confusing. Since in a way Jaahlyn was separate from her so it wasn't even like seeing herself. Just a different part of her whole.

This Melody will actually learn as Baphreth breaks her silence to respond. "It's alright, child. Seeing myself perform is at worst bittersweet. I'm sure another artist will understand how easy it is to catch yourself making some mistake. Always thinking how you could have done better. But at the same time it pleases me immensely that you consider it such a strong and positive memory. I'm sure you feel the same way when fans make you into something positive and enjoyable in their own lives. Since that's the connection between the artist and the people who perceives it, no? You put your thoughts and feelings into your work and they feel them through it and connect it to their own lives." She makes a meaningful pause. "There are few things as powerful as that. It's a great deal of power to wield."
[Room with a Goat]

...I... I suppose so, yeah. I mean, it's... it's nice to be appreciated, sure.

...Believe it or not, I actually kind of... wanted to get more of a hands-on approach going, actually. There's a charity here in Riverside for demons who want to do their part in reconstructing the city. Demons Advocating Mutual Neutrality, I think. I mean, I guess technically they're a political group, but... right now, they sound really appealing to those of us who just want to fix things.

Marianne said no, though. She thinks publicly backing attempts to fix things up in response to being terrorized by Riverside's extremists would send the wrong message. I guess I can't argue with that.

...Still. I'd like to be more than a voice, you know?

...Situational irony notwithstanding.

Meanwhile, Baphoreth's gaze will find that Melody's death is, in fact, mostly how she remembers it. She and Exstacy emerge from a hotel near the street, clothes sort of disheveled, laughing with each other and stumbling down the stairs. Melody seems to be having trouble keeping her footing, but Stacy is right there to provide her support.

As they get closer to the street, though, the disparity between the two of them only gets wider. Granted, Melody doesn't get any more drunk, but Stacy seems to get sober in a hurry. Sober and depressed. By the time they're to the sidewalk, she's standing there, grim-faced, barely responding to Melody talking.

As a bus rounds the street corner, making its routine trip down this street, Stacy suddenly turns and pulls Melody up to her lips, giving her a long, passionate kiss... which she breaks off by shoving Melody in front of the bus, abruptly turning and holding her hands over her mouth, eyes squeezed shut.

And then she's just... gone. There one minute, but not the next.
► Unless Baphoreth can see invisibility.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

HALlelujah exists in the walls just about everywhere within the base. No corner goes unwatched, no room unsupervised, no deed unnoticed.

To its knowledge.

"Ohhh you can? How ter...wonnnderful. Yes," HALlelujah proclaims, its loyalty programs not expiring upon death. "That's... a hard ask. By my understanding Cessie Mithar shared dreams of her past and would know much of Mistress' life in the Watchtower era, though not much further. Her brother is MIA and her father has been relatively absentee, though I believe her stepmother holds an unusual possession of knowledge. The consort Anika Sunfletcher has been closest recently. There's been several business dealings with the King in Rags, but I don't get the impression Mistress confided in him about her personal life. She didn't confide much in an-"

"I'll do it," a quiet voice cuts through the AI's rambling options. Looking over towards the source reveals little until Tauron also looks down. A small three-year old child in a spider pattern onesie, barely two and half feet tall and sporting olive skin and curly black hair stands behind Tauron, having managed to somehow silently sneak into the room. Nahlrae's black eyes emotionlessly stares at Tauron, ignoring the corpse of his mom.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Room with a Goat]

Baphoreth cannot see the invisible but no magic or technology could hide the guilty from her sight however. So unless Stacy felt no guilt over what happened then Baphoreth will see her as clear as day.
To Melody there will be little difference to Baphoreth's emotional demeanor as she sees all this however. Just an brief glimpse of a sense of satisfaction that stands out against all that maternal love just before the fey comments on her thoughts.

"There's strength in unity yet as you said, you barely know anyone outside your band. Even after all this time. So to use an analogue, it seems to me that you are a fortress of four that have built walls around yourself. Yet now it seems like the fortress is starting to crack, doesn't it? Even if Marianne was spared from true death it seems what you had might not have been. Lies, deception... you can see how things have poisoned your foundation."

The fey then pauses as to let all this sink in.

"So as I said, there's strength in unity and while you should never abandon what you've built together you shouldn't shy away from the outside world either. Since if the foundations of your fortress crack and the walls fall apart it's important to remember why you built those in the first place. The world you fear might not be as bad as you thought. So to extend the analogue a little bit, true strength doesn't lie in fortresses. It lies in alliances.

After all, if you close yourself and others out in you will find yourself buried in the rubble if it falls. So while Marianne likely has the best of reasons to advise you against this group I still think it's important that you connect to the outside more than, as you said, just a voice. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that the world can be a terrible place and that you might end up burned for your efforts yet it's better to reach out and try rather than closing yourself in."

[Dulcie Dreams]

The eyes stare back at her for a moment as she tries to shoo Death away.
But if Dulcie has had any experiences with a goat before she'd know they can be extremely stubborn.

This seems to extend to talking goats too as this opens its mouth and all too human words spill out. "I find your words ironic, Dulcie." The voice is feminine and cold as grave. "You cling to that promise like a shield, as if it could protect you from all harm. But tell me, what do you think a perfectly healthy person would say if they met death?"

The voice pause as if waiting for a response until it suddenly continues again.

"It's always the same. They're not supposed to die yet. Always ought to be more time. Refusing to accept the number of ways their life could have be cut short. After all, you of all people should know how frail life is. Yet that's why you're clinging to it so tightly, isn't it? There's so little of it left that you refuse to accept that just like a healthy person there could always be a lot less."

Another pause. This one a bit shorter.

"For instance, someone could have decided that they should spare you from the suffering your cancerous body will put you through by smothering you in your sleep and this conversation of ours is simply your mind coming to terms with that."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Dulcie Dreams]

At that, Dulcie scowls. "I don't think we know each other well enough for you to call me 'Dulcie', madam goat. Now stop spinning your frankly ridiculous theories and leave. I know the amount of time I'm owed upon this earth, and I will not have some - some simpleton tell me otherwise!" Goats can be stubborn creatures, but if this one thinks that she can out-stubborn Dulcinea Antoninus Hortensis, she might be sorely pressed.

Still, such a cruel suggestion doesn't go unconsidered, something the death-goat can see as pairs of hands seem to fade into being near the headboard. Four of them - two a warm, brownish olive, two a pale beige. One of the latter seems to near the closest to the pillows before they all fade away entirely. No, Dulcie thinks, there is no way anyone in her family would ever do that. Besides, she's far too cute and important to die yet!

"Why do you even think I'm supposed to die tonight anyways, hm? Do you have some sort of ghoulish list you haven't remembered to double check? Come to think of it, how do I even know you're actually Death in the first place?" Ice-blues scan the goat up and down with the castigating righteousness of a woman whose girlfriend asked for no pickles. "You don't even have a dorky little scythe. Death's always supposed to have one of those."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Theories of Necromantic Adhesion]

The door to Stick's shop swings open in through it steps a teen girl. She's got a darker complexion and mostly jet black hair, aside from the electric blue under dye. Her dark eyes are ringed with darker mascara and eye shadow. A bone neckalce hangs around her neck, appearing to be the vertebrae of some small animal. She's got a band tshirt on, with some logo Sticks is sure to not recognize, and fishnet sleeves poking out from under. Her jeans are worn through in several spots, though artfully enough it might be deliberate. Not exactly well dressed for the cold winter day, is she?

She looks around for the proprietor before she steps over to the front desk, her heavy combat boots clunking along quite audibly. "Hey. So you're... Sticks, right?" She puts her purse down on the counter, a somewhat large black bag painted with white acrylics depicting bird skulls and the moon.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Dulcie Dreams]

"I don't think you're supposed to die right at this moment." The goat admits as it continues staring her down unblinkingly.

"But my 'ridiculous' theory intend to show that death is always possibly. Since to answer your question, there are no lists and I follow no predestination of your fate. You just happened to notice me as you seem to have some affinity for spirits and perhaps also since you're so close to death." The goat tilts its head to the side slightly.
"As I have been there the whole time, Dulcie. Since death doesn't come for you. Death is with you. Eternally. Technically making me closer to you than anyone else as I was with you at your first breath and will be with you at your last. If it makes you feel any better, that is the comfort I offer you."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Dulcie Dreams]

"I- what?" The goat's words finally seem to start to break through Dulcie's stubborn barricade, and she tilts her own head in confusion. "So... you're not here because you think it's time for you to claim my immortal soul or whatever, then? Just... paying a visit? Or - wait! You've been lurking around this whole time?!

Now Dulcie seems absolutely scandalized. Oh dear gods, does that mean this weird goat has seen, like, all of her dreams? Even the really private ones?! What the hell! Why, she's pretty sure that might be illegal in multiple different sections of Riverside law.

"Well! That's a relief," the girl only partly lies, making a big show of relaxing her shoulders and letting the air from her lungs. "Um, make yourself at home then, I guess. Since you claim to live rent-free in my head." Which is partially true, in all honestly. Death's always been in the back of Dulcie's mind, albeit suppressed and sealed back under relentless assaults of bombastic joy and enthusiasm.

But, now that it's starting to seem like a more and more definite closeness.... "Maybe you can even make yourself useful, help me plan some last things I need to wrap up." She's all smiles. "After all, if you've been with me all this time, I suppose you'd know exactly what I need to take care of, huh?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Dulcie Dreams]

"I will decline. Since I'm not really sure why you expect me to help you out with planning. I don't spy on people, all I'm really aware of is if you're alive, dying or dead. Beyond that I don't even know your name-" A beat as she suddenly recalled using it. "-actually I did somehow. Well, either way. Beyond that I don't know anything about you besides the cancer."

Dulcie will likely note a shift in the goat's tone. Before they had spoken in a near monotone with just subtle inflections. Now it's much more emotional. More like she might imagine a person would sound like rather than death itself.

"...and I'm sorry for that by the way. You seem to be managing quite well though all things considering."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Dulcie Dreams]

"...Oh! Um, I see." Dulcie blinks. "Hold on. I think we may have gotten off on the wrong foot. You're not like, capital D Death, are you? Just some kind of... death spirit." A beat. Then, she laughs. "Well, this is embarrassing! I may have mistook you for something much more... well, omniscient!" As if she hadn't just been suggesting that Death had made an error a scant few seconds ago.

"And why, thank you! It ends up being something you kind of get used to when you've had it looming over you for so long, really. Why, I guess I've gotten so positive to spite it. Sort of say, 'fuck you death! you won't stop me from living my best life!"" Dulcie flashes a winning smile, but then, she sighs, that confident façade flickering.

"It doesn't... entirely cushion the anxieties though, now that I know my time is coming. I was really hoping to live much longer. Now I have such a scant time left to wrap things up, tell people how I feel and so on." Her smile is more wan this time, even as she offers a hollow laugh. "The usual sob story, I expect."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Dulcie Dreams]

"I am a psychopomp, which means that I shepherd the souls of the departed. But I rarely talk to them before they become... clients. So I don't hear a lot of 'sob-stories' since it would make my job a lot harder than it needs to be. Surely there's a way to avoid your fate though? The nexus is a world of opportunities. I know a powerful wizard right here in Riverside who might be able to help out in fact." The goat suggests as they tilt their head again, giving Dulcie a curious look.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Gullara wrote: Dec 20, 2022 3:31 pm [Theories of Necromantic Adhesion]

The door to Stick's shop swings open in through it steps a teen girl. She's got a darker complexion and mostly jet black hair, aside from the electric blue under dye. Her dark eyes are ringed with darker mascara and eye shadow. A bone neckalce hangs around her neck, appearing to be the vertebrae of some small animal. She's got a band tshirt on, with some logo Sticks is sure to not recognize, and fishnet sleeves poking out from under. Her jeans are worn through in several spots, though artfully enough it might be deliberate. Not exactly well dressed for the cold winter day, is she?

She looks around for the proprietor before she steps over to the front desk, her heavy combat boots clunking along quite audibly. "Hey. So you're... Sticks, right?" She puts her purse down on the counter, a somewhat large black bag painted with white acrylics depicting bird skulls and the moon.
There is a clockwork man behind the counter. He is very tall, professional basketball tall, and moves with the eerie precise grace of a well calibrated machine. Though his limbs are bright polished brass, much of his throat and face appear to be flesh, save for small metal plates here and there... and his eyes, which dance with golden fae light. A shock of red hair is well coiffed on his head in a few curling waves, and a pair of pointed ears spread out from the sides of his skull.

Sticks looks up and smiles, though it's rendered brittle as she slumps her purse down. This girl looked too young to be lugging a purse around in the first place, let alone one festooned with bones!

Still, at the opportunity to introduce himself, the man never fails to do so with style. He bows to the waist, one hand whirling in a flourish, the other spread out to one side. As he does so, the air in the shop seems to pop and whisper, and many of the toys on the shelves simultaneously let out different sounds - tiny draconic roars, lovely birdsong, the rustle of paper wings, wolfish howls, and more. "Just so, dear. You have me at a disadvantage." He straightens and looks the young lady up and down again. "I have to confess, I don't know how much there is to interest you here. You're a little older than my usual clientele. Picking up something for a younger sibling, perhaps? A friend?"