Riverside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Riverside

Post by Morty »

[Project Icarus]
Reinholdt wrote: Apr 14, 2023 7:22 am "Yes. Well when hell's gates are guarded by demons, I see an inherent flaw in their security." Ilpholin slowly wraps her neck back up. "I crawled my way out of the afterlife because I have a mission to finish. But as a teacher, I have failed you. Learning from someone so defeated... Anyone whose faith is lost in the value I can provide you should step forward now. I will offer no judgement if you want to leave."
The elves look at each other, but none of them seem eager to break ranks. A resolve seems to spread through them. Finally one of them speaks - stocky for an elf, with round features, beige skin and brown, braided hair. He's wearing simple cloth and leather and Ilpholin may remember that he's a magician from previous training.

"You came back from the dead to finish the mission. We won't quit now."

The other elves nod, evidently sharing his sentiment.

Tags:
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

Ilpholin quietly looks around at each of them. "Your commitment is admirable. Very well. It's just as well, for I have need of each and every one of you."

The nymph steps over to a wall that soon projects the city of Riverside and points to an area in Northside dangerously close to Westside. "I know you've already heard about the stain upon Riverside that is Hell's Bend. It's time for more practical training, the kind you can only get in the field. We are going to clear it out, cleanse it of the demonic presence that corrupts our city, and we're going to do it in the next hour or so. I know it's short notice, but circumstances demand we move now."
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Earl of Purple wrote: Apr 14, 2023 1:56 pm Outside Moth Park: Midnight

"No? Oh no. I don't remember that at all." Probably the more important thing to happen in Riverside that she's missed. "What else is there? Do the vampires still rule Westside and keep the place dark? Who is the mayor of Eastside?" Earl can't remember enough about the original state of Soutside or Northside to have queries for there, too, but Bobbi's going to ask questions on those subjects too.

Hompton Road: Also Midnight

"It was the middle of the night, I was in bed when the doorbell rang. Who comes by at this time of night, huh?" Both Bobbi-the-Fetch and Samuel are in pyjamas. "So I took the shotgun. Then I checked to see who it was, because I thought it was robbers or murderers or something. And I saw a woman with my face standing on my porch. I'm not letting demons or whatever steal my husband or my life." The fetch stumbles over the words of the last sentence, aware that it wasn't a demon out there even if she's in denial over what was in fact on her front doorstep. "I'm not going to get shoved in a mirror whilst some inhuman thing ruins my life for its jollies."
Outside Moth Park: Midnight

Bobbie probably didn't notice it for various reasons. Or it just took her a while to realize. But there's actually something missing from Riverside's skyline. Something which would have been there for most of her time living in the city with her husband.
Namely, the giant floating castle that could be seen from any point in the city as long as you got a good view. It's architecture so ominous that it would be rather difficult to forget and the symbol of power for the organization which ruled Northside which even shared its name. Malechenar.

Yet now it's nowhere to be seen.

"Uh, so there was this big invasion and a lot of the city got destroyed and a lot of people got killed. I wasn't here for it, but I think the black out effect in westside is still in effect though. And it's still ruled by vampires. The same ones that rule Northside." Jaahlyn scratches the back of her head. "As for eastside, I think they're actually having an election for mayor soon? But right now it's this red-haired giant woman called Felandria. She's also the leader of HALO which I think people are upset about."

The officers think that purple woman have had quite enough now. But despite strict orders not to she continues.
"Just let me... I'm just gonna answer the questions first, okay?" She insists.
The Boobie-fetch might note that the woman actually has a name on her badge at this point.
Anika Sunfletcher

"Since I would come by at night. And if I were robbing or killing someone I wouldn't knock on the door or ring the doorbell. Especially if I had just somehow copied the face of the woman in the house. That's just super-dumb since you two would be the only persons that could tell it wasn't you." She gestures to the pair. "It's like an anti-disguise since if they just looked like a nobody you would probably not have tried to shotgun them in the face."

Now officers repeat the warning, this time louder, and finally she backs off. "Fine, fine, I'm just saying. That's all."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"Right, OK. So the vampires have taken over Northside too?" Actually the other way around, but the mafia-vampires of Westside were more blatantly vampiric than Malechenar, as I recall at least. "Would explain the missing castle. It's hard to see, because it's night, but it was always flying around over there." Unless the castle tended to glow or give off a lot of light, it probably would be hard to see in a city. Especially if the houses are tall enough and dense enough.

"I don't know how demons work! It might not've had my face before I looked at it. It might've been hoping for my husband, hoping to trick him into letting it in with some sob story about losing my keys. Why aren't you looking for it? I realise it's gonna be hard to find, but. like, haven't we answered your questions already?" Bobbi the Fetch is quite angry at this, not quite shouting at Anika but clearly not pleased with this line of questioning.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Project Icarus]

The elves might otherwise be surprised to be sent into the field so quickly, but now they're carried onward by the momentum of Ilpholin's return and their previous declarations. Besides, all of them are experienced fighters in their own ways already. They came here to prove themselves, and this is an opportunity to do just that.

"We will be ready."

"What is our strategy?" another elf asks. That is rather a lot of ground to cover.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Gullara wrote: Mar 28, 2023 4:14 am [Theories of Necromantic Adhesion]

Reilana watches the butterfly for a second, but then guesses the reason it's here. She follows it out back and then stops o the threshold. Huh.

"Lot going on out here." She remarks as she steps closer to the man. There's the hint of a question in her tone. She distractedly turns her head toward some of the animal constructs again.
[Theories of Necromantic Adhesion]

"Some of them live here," Sticks explains in a calm tone. "Some I let wander. Though the truth be told, there isn't too much of a life out there for them. Not with their own kind, certainly."
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

Ilpholin starts rambling about the details, pacing slightly. "It's not as big as it looks, being just one neighborhood. But we won't have the manpower to properly encircle them. Instead, most of you will be coming in from the southeast, after we leave here from the underground tunnels on the eighth floor. Ten of you will be going with Mecha Squiggles and approaching from the West and your only job will be to protect him. You probably won't even enter Hell's Bend. Just let him do his thing and keep away anyone who would stop him."

"The rest of you will be entering in pairs or groups of three, non-aggressively first. Moving in and spreading out through the southeastern edge of the neighborhood. You will each be given cloaks, holy water, and a burner phone. Even if they do see weapons, it's not unusual for people to carry those. Still, you're going to be filtering in instead of all at once. Simply getting into position and waiting for my signal on the phone. Avoid engaging the demons. That's why you're in small groups, so you have an excuse to ignore any filth who cat call and try to catch your attention."

"When I give the signal, you'll attack. Break into buildings, tear down the demons on the street, anything and everything you must to cleanse the land of this pox. As you slay them, you'll be naturally driving them Northwest. Remember, the Rave Cave is the center of this neighborhood, use it as a landmark if you must. The west part should be covered, but those that go truly North will likely leave. We'll follow as far as we must to push them entirely from the city, but those that are running that far likely will leave on their own with the border right there. That's if things go smoothly and that's a big if. Most of these cretins, while a pox on humanity, aren't well trained in martial defenses. So you shouldn't have too much trouble. BUT and this is a big BUT," Ilpholin looks around at them with a frown.

"If you encounter real resistance, I want you to back off and ping my number with your phone if able about the situation. It is much more important you keep your own lives intact than try and take on an archdemon hiding amongst the chaff. With any luck, I'll have my own reinforcements to bear on the situation to take on the brunt of the particularly dangerous demons. Is that clear? Are there any questions?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Project Icarus]

The elves listen intently, until finally a lithe, pale-skinned huntress voices a question:

"What are the reinforcements you're hoping to bring in?"
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Project Icarus]

"I would not bank on them. Even if I can get them, they may be too few to come to your aid in the midst of the chaos. Be smart and don't hold out specifically for reinforcements," Ilpholin emphasizes, not wanting to get the elven warriors' hopes up.

"But if I do succeed, you'll know them when you see them." Ilpholin does not think friendly fire will be an issue here.
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Project Icarus]

"Understood." The huntress nods. "We will proceed as though we were on our own."

It seems there are no more questions. The battle plan has been drawn and all that remains is executing it.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Murkus wrote: Apr 17, 2023 10:05 pm [Theories of Necromantic Adhesion]

"Some of them live here," Sticks explains in a calm tone. "Some I let wander. Though the truth be told, there isn't too much of a life out there for them. Not with their own kind, certainly."

"Yeah, that makes sense. They've passed after all, even if you gave them a second chance." Reilana observes. She turns her attention back to Sticks fully. "Speaking of which, I'm ready to do the same thing." She hefts her bag a bit.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Earl of Purple wrote: Apr 17, 2023 12:43 pm Outside Moth Park: Midnight

"Right, OK. So the vampires have taken over Northside too?" Actually the other way around, but the mafia-vampires of Westside were more blatantly vampiric than Malechenar, as I recall at least. "Would explain the missing castle. It's hard to see, because it's night, but it was always flying around over there." Unless the castle tended to glow or give off a lot of light, it probably would be hard to see in a city. Especially if the houses are tall enough and dense enough.

"I don't know how demons work! It might not've had my face before I looked at it. It might've been hoping for my husband, hoping to trick him into letting it in with some sob story about losing my keys. Why aren't you looking for it? I realise it's gonna be hard to find, but. like, haven't we answered your questions already?" Bobbi the Fetch is quite angry at this, not quite shouting at Anika but clearly not pleased with this line of questioning.

"I guess so? I just know that MERC is based in Westside and they're taking orders from vampires in Northside going under the name Malechenar." Jaahlyn gestures to the sky. "The flying castle bit was before my time in the city though. I only came here after it was gone."

A beat.

"Oh and MERC runs the law enforcement in Westside now if you weren't around for that either. There was also a smaller fey invasion at one point but it wasn't nearly as devastating." Most people would say 'rat invasion' but Jaahlyn is firmly of the opinion that those weren't real rats. "It seems they've left their mark on the city though." She gestures at the park around them. "Or perhaps it was always here. Either way, I think we need to move now. The police come by this area at night. Think you can walk with me? I know a place where you can stay the night."

They have. The officers assures her that the purple lady, Anika, is not actually a trained officer and shouldn't even have asked her all those questions in the first place. She was only here as muscle in case they had to deal with facestealers or whatever creatures Bobbi might have seen outside her door.

They would have her house under surveillance for the rest of the night in case the intruders returned and would have officers look for a woman matching her description not only in Eastside but in West- and Northside as well. They advice her that she should probably dress in an unusual way tomorrow as to make sure the officers wouldn't confuse her with her doppelganger.

Meanwhile, Anika crosses her arms over her chest and appears to be sulking just outside Bobbies fence.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

"Right, sure. Thank you, this... has all been very helpful. I hadn't realised Malechenar were also vampires." Bobbi stands up and will follow Jaahlyn wherever she goes.

Bobbi nods, and says she'll put on a dress. She almost never wears a dress, so if the facestealer's been following her for a while to copy her style it won't have a dress is Bobbi-the-Fetch's claimed thinking.

If there's nothing else, though I don't have anything planned until morning.

Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Eastside Prison Institute for the Criminally Gifted]

This building is like two in one. There's a medium sized facility for inmates with unusual powers that have to be kept suppressed. Working there is, not surprisingly draining, the effects of the suppression devices bleeding out to even affect the normal everyday guard. So a constant rotation must be kept. The larger facility around it serves as that breathing room, while also housing some of the more mundane dangerous criminals. Giant brained criminal masterminds, truly mad serial killers, but normal nonetheless in a world that houses anime swordsmen and elemental masters. This area holds the prison yard as well, the prisoners at most getting light from some highly tempered windows and sunroof, never truly seeing the outside.

The outside perimeter, though, that's where the real cushy shifts are. The warden and the guards alike consider outside watch to be a reward for work well done, or employee of the month. Though sometimes the warden places guards here that he suspects is getting too cushy with some of the inmates. The last thing he needs is some corrupt guard bringing this place down on their heads with a jailbreak, getting everyone murdered in the process. Like last time. He won't be that warden, that's for sure! All the same, those on watch on the outside tend to be a great deal more lax.
► SHOW SPOILER
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Eastside Prison Institute for the Criminally Gifted

Among Nathair's many talents is being in two places at once. Since starting at the prison a couple months ago, they've had their work cut out maintaining a stellar record while still networking outside. And stellar is the word, as despite their newcomer status they have a perfect track record, able to do the necessary intimidation work while still getting along well with the more cooperative inmates.

But there is something inherently suspicious about Nathair's employment here, considering that they have more than enough magical skill to get other jobs with equal or better pay and significantly less risk. So why are they here? Well, the warden might have his suspicions, but so far Nathair has been beyond reproach.

And it is for that reason that they're currently patrolling the prison's perimeter, making their rounds as they enjoy the feeling of unobstructed sunshine. It's also an opportunity to flex their magic a little outside of the main suppression zone, and at the moment they're dictating their observations to a floating notepad.

"Eastern sluice gate- slight signs of rust, but still in good condition. No need for reinforcement." The pen whirs across the paper as if held by an unseen hand.
horses can attack and eat me
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Gullara wrote: Apr 20, 2023 3:09 am [Theories of Necromantic Adhesion]

"Yeah, that makes sense. They've passed after all, even if you gave them a second chance." Reilana observes. She turns her attention back to Sticks fully. "Speaking of which, I'm ready to do the same thing." She hefts her bag a bit.

"Oh, excellent. Please, young mage, approach," Sticks says, beckoning with a curl of his claw-like fingers. He indicates the spot in front of him in the yard, a clear area of ground. "Now. How is your sorcery done, hm? You seem to have intuited a great deal. Do you use signs? Circles? Gesture and symbol? Some combination thereof?"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Reilana steps forward when asked. "Theorems need to be inscribed, then thanergy is drawn through them by particular attuned notes."

She kneels down and slings her bag in front of her. Out come the carefully packaged bones again. She opened one and carefully unwraps the rabbit skull. She stands, hold it up. Finely carved into the bone are symbols that were not present earlier. Symbols and interlocking lines. "I can't explain them all quickly, but they're symbols of waking and binding, with others to support." She lets him observe a moment before kneeling again to start prepping the other bones.

If Sticks looks closer they all have some marks on them, but none as many a the skull. "The problem is that the music alone has power, not just with theorems. Song like this can... stir the dead." She sounds almost meek. Almost. "To be honest, I'm not experienced enough in spirit magic to guarantee there won't be side effects. Which is part of why I came to you. Our magic might be different, but the dead are a common factor."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

One cloudy night a large group of creatures approaches the institute under the cover of darkness. A few emerge from manholes, others dark alleys and some climb down from rooftops.
They all seem to have the same goal however as once they get closer to the institute they don't bother with stealth anymore as they attempt to either climb or claw their way through the fence which makes up the outer perimeter.

It was impossible to make out what they look like in the darkness but as the prison likely has powerful floodlights so once they start their assault it will be clear that the majority are small goblin-like creatures whose bodies seem to be made of black metal that glows with heat. As if they were fresh off a forge.

As this is going on a lone flying being approaches the facility from above. It stays within the clouds for now however, awaiting the right moment.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Deep inside one of the cells, with a heavily reinforced door, a woman sleeps. She's a half-elf, large and hairy, with untidy auburn hair, weatherbeaten skin, and gleaming amber eyes that are currently shut. She's currently naked; her orange jumpsuit has been shredded and scattered around the room. One leg's fallen off her bed, and she's snoring. There's an empty bowl that did contain porridge near the door, on a tray that was pushed through a slit in the bottom. The porridge was dosed with tranquilisers, which was necessery as, despite how sturdy the room is, it has large scratches in the walls and the bed has been buckled by some large animal slamming into it, despite being mounted directly to the wall to prevent it being used as a barricade. The only thing that hasn't been damaged is the cell's toilet, which Matilda has left alone.

Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

The guards in the tower are the first to hear the rattling noise of the fence. First to see the creatures as they turn on the floodlights and point it in their direction, wildly swinging from figure to figure. First to die.

But not before they set off the alarm.

Klaxons ring as the prison jumps into motion.
"It's an escape attempt!"
"Lock everything down!"
"Who's not in their cell?!"
"It's an attack!"
"Goblins! Goblins are invading!"
"Not goblins!"
"Then what?!
"Someone wake the warden!!"

That's entirely unnecessary, the warden is already rousing. The good news for the guards is that almost all of the prisoners are already in their cells as the lockdown begins. All except for Nightshade, who sits in the yard soaking in the moonlight through the skylight because he requires reverse photosynthesis. More than one person has tried to explain to him that moonlight is just sunlight that took longer to get here, but somehow he wrangled the special privileges. He's quickly getting escorted back but gets locked out of the interior as everything shuts down tight before they can get him into the inner prison.

The outer guards do squeeze off a few shots with pistols, the bark of the guns ringing in the night, almost as loud as the alarm. Putting up some measure of resistance, but fear and the dark make aim rather pitiful for the front line not prepared for an ambush from this direction.

Ava, like most prisoners, rouses from her sleep to shouts and the alarm. Angry guards beat on the cells, yelling for each of them to stand up and at attention for a head count. Blearily, the girl complies, eyes squinting in the red lights that line her room.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

The creatures actually seem more interested in getting into the facility than murdering its guards as in many cases they're simply running past them if they can.

However, they will steal the belongings of every guard they come across by simply swiping them off them. This might in some cases lead directly to death but otherwise goblins seems to find the guards far more entertaining alive, or at least near-dead, than actually dead. Some staying around for several seconds just to poke and prod the guards which have been thrown to the ground simply to see if they can get a reaction out of them.

They're stealing hats, clothes, weapons, badges and keys though don't seem to use them for much else than as simple bludgeoning weapons to smash themselves through doors and other obstacles such as other guards. The exception are the keys which they actually seem to understand how to use to open up some doors. Oh and the hats and the clothes which they're trying to wear.

Something else the guards will quickly learn about these creatures is that they're like living bombs. When they die, or are just hit with sufficient force, they blow up like grenades. Something which can cause explosive chain reactions if they're all bunched up together.
Their goal seem to be to get to the prisoners section of the prison though they don't seem to know the quickest route there so they're getting all over the place. Including ventilation shafts which they attempt to squeeze into.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

At the first sign of the attack, Nathair begins to fall back towards the main building, warily scanning the area. As the goblins- gremlins? Whatever they are swarm into the compound, it's quickly apparent that there are far too many of them to stop alone. At least they can be slowed down though.

Clenching their fist, Nathair directs their telekinetic power towards the ground, causing the earth to shift into ripples and trenches to buy some extra time as the invaders navigate them. With another wave, they rip off some bars from one of the prison doors and begin to launch them as makeshift missiles, impaling goblins with deadly accuracy.

Which of course causes them to blow up. Well, this is starting to be a lot of collateral damage, and the invaders just keep coming. Nathair calls out to any other guards within earshot.

"Fall back! Back to the main compound! Start making barricades!" Regardless of if anyone hears them, Nathair will proceed to do just that, heading back to the main entrance. Of course, it's already been locked down. Well, that's unfortunate. What's even more unfortunate is the prisoner Nightshade, who's been locked out as well.

Hurrying over, Nathair nods a quick greeting. "Heyo. Normally I'd be trying to keep you contained, but this is a crisis situation. I can get you in and you'll probably be safer inside, or I can send you outside to take your chances with the invaders. What'll it be?" It might seem strange to consider letting a prisoner go so quickly, but as far as Nathair's concerned the main goal is keeping as many people as safe as possible, and the Institute is rapidly becoming a very unsafe place to be.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Matilda awakes when the alarm goes off and snarls, striding to her door and yelling out into the corridor beyond. "Oi! Quiet down out there, some people're trying to sleep! Shut that noise!" The half-elf would yell threats and promises of violence, but she's been here too long. As much as she hates it, she's getting worn down and no longer thinks she'll get the opportunity to provide any violence she might threaten.

Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

The guards in the tower aren't dead! Though they sure wish they were. Getting toyed with by gremlins isn't exactly fun and they're almost certain even if they live through this they're going to be fired.

A few of them do die in unexpected explosions they trigger trying to beat back the beasts. The guards quickly shift from guns to tasers, then from tasers to billy clubs, growing more and more panicky as they realize they're in need of the riot shields from the armory which for many of them is not an option. Those near to Nathair make barricades as quickly as they can with what they can, but it's got too many weak points, too many cracks for the gremlins to wriggle through to be of much help.

"Inside! In! Please! My sentence is up in two weeks! TWO WEEKS!! Come on... it can't end like this!" Nightshade begs. The reverse photosynthesis plant person has been here a long time after the brutal poisoning of an entire hospital wing, back when hospitals were basically all murder death traps. Still, he's served decades now and is so very, very close to actually getting out, supposedly a changed man. The last thing he needs is this assault.

The gremlins going for the vents into the inner prison will quickly find the entire system in there protected with death lasers. Or, at least the first two or three will find out. A couple of explosions from different angles knocks out enough of the sensors to take down the grid, so if any follow up, they'll find themselves able to wriggle in if they can get past the corpses of their brethren.

A few of the guards, dressed differently than the rest, arrive to the chaos out in the courtyard. They seem calmer and more organized than the rest, moving as a group. The one in front - Barry according to his name tag - puts his fist into the palm of his other hand as he calls out to the gremlins. "That's enough of that!!" His form shifts, as do those of the two beside him, bulking and changing, fur, wings, scales! In a mere moment, a large crocodile snaps its jaws menacingly, a pterodactyl screeches and takes to the air, and a polar bear lets out an intimidating battle roar before barreling forward across the courtyard, looking to shove the gremlins out of the way and buy the barricading guards more time to dig in.

Matilda is... almost ignored. A face does peer in briefly just to ensure she's still in there, check off her name. A sharp rap against the door is all she gets. "Step away!" They don't really bother checking to see if she does or doesn't before walking on to the next cell in line, checking Ava off their list as they peer in her cell. The guard flinches admittedly at the sound of explosions in the distance. Well, not very distant at all. Too close. They glance at the suppression lights. Those are still up at least. But...

"What is that?" They ask no one in particular, hearing the clack of metal on metal as something rolls around in the vents nearby.
► SHOW SPOILER
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

The creatures are definitively starting to get pushed back once ANIMAL FORCE arrives and Nathair starts openly display his powers.
This sudden show of real resistance have caught the creatures on the back foot as they all flee from the courtyard.
Instead they're trying to make headway into every other direction. Regardless of the actual importance of that location.

Since a number of them starts vandalizing the bathroom stalls and the showers while others are starting to play catch with one of the janitors prosthetic leg while she helplessly attempts to catch it to the soundtrack of their manically laughter. They tear open cabinets just to juggle with their contents for a few seconds before finding something else to do. A few have taken their time to make crude carvings on the walls of equally crude insults, sometimes in the form of pictures.

They really seem less like an invading force and more like a group of hyper-violent hooligans hellbent on making this particular shift as shitty as possible for everyone involved.

But there is an pattern in their behavior. Since while they were seemingly making a beeline for the prisoners earlier now they seem to be going everywhere but where the prisoners are contained.
With the exception of a few who ended up in the vents since they don't even know where they are going.
Matilda can hear what sounds like snickers and giggles coming from the vents followed by an unholy cacophony of scraping sounds as the creatures uses their claws to drag themselves through the shafts.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Gullara wrote: Apr 28, 2023 4:26 am [Theories of Necromantic Adhesion]

Reilana steps forward when asked. "Theorems need to be inscribed, then thanergy is drawn through them by particular attuned notes."

She kneels down and slings her bag in front of her. Out come the carefully packaged bones again. She opened one and carefully unwraps the rabbit skull. She stands, hold it up. Finely carved into the bone are symbols that were not present earlier. Symbols and interlocking lines. "I can't explain them all quickly, but they're symbols of waking and binding, with others to support." She lets him observe a moment before kneeling again to start prepping the other bones.

If Sticks looks closer they all have some marks on them, but none as many a the skull. "The problem is that the music alone has power, not just with theorems. Song like this can... stir the dead." She sounds almost meek. Almost. "To be honest, I'm not experienced enough in spirit magic to guarantee there won't be side effects. Which is part of why I came to you. Our magic might be different, but the dead are a common factor."

"Indeed," says Sticks, clearly quite interested to learn about other systems of magic. "Would you like me to try and see if I can't contain these side effects? Predict and counter them, perhaps?" He looks up at Reilana seriously, trying to encourage her by treating her as a peer - another of the Wise, a magi.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Nathair nods understandingly at Nightshade's panic. They're not one to judge, and someone who was already that close to being released definitely doesn't deserve to have their freedom snatched away at the last moment.

"Okay, stick by me. First time I've broken someone into prison, but it shouldn't be too hard." Especially now that the opposing forces are scattered away from the main yard, thanks to the animal army. Good old Barry.

Beckoning the plant prisoner to follow them, Nathair jogs over to the nearest locked down entrance, and knocks on it loudly with their metal fist.

"Hey, it's Nathair! Open up, I've got a prisoner who needs to get back in his cell!" Hopefully the guards on the other side listen, but panic makes fools of the hardiest souls, so Nathair prepares to telekinetically rip the door off its hinges if necessary.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Matilda hears the gremlins in the vent shafts, and stand on her bed to look through the small vent in the top of her room. She'd tried vandalising it earlier, when she was really annoyed and tried destroying everything she could reach, but the vent is right up near the ceiling where it's hard for her to reach, given how cramped the cell is when she's an owlbear, and when she's humanoid she's not strong enough to pull it open. And she's looked in there before, and it's far too small for her to fit down, she thinks.

Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

ANIMAL FORCE is preoccupied chasing those who are going everywhere else. The Were-Pterodactyl probably has the best success at catching the creatures in its talons and flying up, tossing them away where they won't hurt anyone when/if they explode upon landing. The Were-Polar Bear is running to and fro and to and fro, muscles rippling with speed and power as it chases away the teenage hooligans. The Were-Crocodile mostly just keeps critters away from the makeshift barricade, giving the guards within a much needed reprieve.

There is some hesitation as Nathair demands the entrance open up during a lock-down, but the breathing room combined with knowing who it is sways them. The entrance opens up and a guard motions for Nathair and Nightshade to get in quickly. The makeshift barricade guards follow in quickly as well, forcing their way inside before the door can be closed and locked again, leaving the courtyard almost entirely to ANIMAL FORCE and those who have already fallen to the mischief.

"They vented..." The guard murmurs to herself and grows rather pale before running away from Matilda and Ava's cells. She's substantially less interested in taking roll call now, going for help, but getting stopped by the bars that make up one of the checkpoints/chokepoints she cries, waving through it to try and get control to buzz her through.

"They're in the Vents!!" Her voice shrilly echoes through the halls.
► SHOW SPOILER
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Murkus wrote: May 03, 2023 4:29 pm [Theories of Necromantic Adhesion]

"Indeed," says Sticks, clearly quite interested to learn about other systems of magic. "Would you like me to try and see if I can't contain these side effects? Predict and counter them, perhaps?" He looks up at Reilana seriously, trying to encourage her by treating her as a peer - another of the Wise, a magi.

"Yeah, I think that'd help a lot. It's kind of a dynamic problem, and I have to put a lot of attention into the theorem itself, so I'll be busy." Reilana nods. "I also don't exactly know if the spirit will respond exactly. I mean it's like how we talked about before. Most of the precautions are about human spirits, and an animal spirit should be a bit more predictable. But I'm also not doing a binding with rigid control."
~Images by Soushiyo