Riverside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Riverside

Post by Gullara »

[Wandering Riverside]

Nadia smiles a bit at Raheeda's assumptions, but doesn't make a point to correct her. It's not as though Nadia is all that attached to what she is, given the strange route she came to end up here.

"It's just a kind of soap. You can use what you have instead." She explains. "I can wait outside to make sure everything is alright if you'd like."
~Images by Soushiyo

Tags:
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Wandering Riverside]

"Ohh, soap. I know what that is." But why had they bothered grinding it down into a liquid? Seemed like a waste of time when the bars were perfectly fine.
"But OK, just one more question then, what do I do with the clothes? Since they stink too" She gestures at her robes. "Should I just clean them in the shower?"
Felandria
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Felandria »

Eastside Debates

Felandria doesn’t hesitate to respond.

While my opponent’s ideas are much appreciated, I don’t suspect they will be especially neccesary.

Because this crisis is one that has been on my mind for some time, and the first thought I had was, how do we pay for all these things we need in the city?

Simple, we don’t.

I do.

So, a while back, I went back to where I came from, a place where people were in desperate need of heroes, and those people tend to pay in gold.

Suffice to say……

Felandria reaches under her podium and produces a bag of holding, she opens it and pours several hundred pounds of gold and diamonds out onto the stage.

With the gold I made slaying monsters and finding treasures, along with a series of prudent investments, I have supplied the treasury with enough funds to ensure that we can get this city rebuilt better than ever.

When it comes to housing, we need a lot of it, we needed to think big, which is ideal for me, obviously.

I’ve had some folks I work with at HALO working on a method, we simply build a number of apartment buildings with a combination of 3D printing technology and, honestly, not a small amount of magic.

I want to make sure we get as many of these buildings made s soon as possible, which will require a significant number of workers, which should further stimulate the economy and create jobs.

We should also have plenty left over to launch a UBI program in the next few days.

I love this place, I love the people in it, and I am ensuring that the people of this place are able to stay here and love it too, and it my most solemn vow that nobody needs to worry about a roof over their their heads or where their next meal is coming from.

Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

quillpleasant wrote: Mar 29, 2024 5:25 am Eastside Debates

This is one of the questions Atya was waiting for- it's an issue she cares about dearly, and one she's spent a lot of time thinking about. She wastes no time launching into her plan.

"Poverty and lack of housing are very serious issues, and addressing them is the core of my platform. The right to shelter, to food, to basic utilities, is something that everyone needs. It's a complex issue, and one that needs to be addressed in multiple ways."

She leans forward on the podium. "First, I will allocate funds to kickstart the creation of more housing, prioritizing affordability and speed without sacrificing quality. Since this will no doubt be costly, I'm prepared to donate my own money into the project to ensure its success. While this is happening, rapid re-housing will take place, giving people short-term assistance so they can get roofs over their heads as soon as possible. Having those basic needs taken care of will make it far easier to get jobs and address substance abuse or other issues that might be standing in the way of stability."

Atya continues. "Long term, I believe that a universal basic income will help keep people housed and fed, and curb the rampant wealth inequality in this city. I will be instituting a heavy income tax for the wealthy, which will directly contribute to the quality of life for citizens across Riverside. In addition, I will be funding rehab clinics and social work offices around the city. Financial instability can cause a great deal of traumatic stress, and I believe that we need to help people medically and emotionally as well as monetarily."

"Now," she says, gesturing to the crowd, "You might be wondering- 'if my living situation is stable, how can I help?' Well, it's going to take a lot of work to do all this, but I know that this city cares for its own. Community is going to be a key component here. We need to work together to help our most vulnerable members. That means outreach and volunteer programs, creating a shared data system to match individuals to the resources they need, and providing mutual aid and support to your fellow citizens."

Atya pauses for a moment, a smile playing across her lips. "You care. You all do, I know it. And I know there's plenty of people watching who are scared, and worried, and you don't know how you're going to keep your head above water. To you, I say: you're going to make it. We're all going to make it, together. Thank you."
Felandria wrote: Apr 07, 2024 7:15 am Eastside Debates

Felandria doesn’t hesitate to respond.

While my opponent’s ideas are much appreciated, I don’t suspect they will be especially neccesary.

Because this crisis is one that has been on my mind for some time, and the first thought I had was, how do we pay for all these things we need in the city?

Simple, we don’t.

I do.

So, a while back, I went back to where I came from, a place where people were in desperate need of heroes, and those people tend to pay in gold.

Suffice to say……

Felandria reaches under her podium and produces a bag of holding, she opens it and pours several hundred pounds of gold and diamonds out onto the stage.

With the gold I made slaying monsters and finding treasures, along with a series of prudent investments, I have supplied the treasury with enough funds to ensure that we can get this city rebuilt better than ever.

When it comes to housing, we need a lot of it, we needed to think big, which is ideal for me, obviously.

I’ve had some folks I work with at HALO working on a method, we simply build a number of apartment buildings with a combination of 3D printing technology and, honestly, not a small amount of magic.

I want to make sure we get as many of these buildings made s soon as possible, which will require a significant number of workers, which should further stimulate the economy and create jobs.

We should also have plenty left over to launch a UBI program in the next few days.

I love this place, I love the people in it, and I am ensuring that the people of this place are able to stay here and love it too, and it my most solemn vow that nobody needs to worry about a roof over their their heads or where their next meal is coming from.
[Eastside Debates]

Very similar positions on that question, though it'd be up to the voters to decide how they feel about the nuances. Though Nadia can't help but think they're both underestimating what their personal finances can bring to the table. It's not as though she can't relate.

But enough of her personal thoughts, she rifles through her papers looking for a question that might have more contrast between the two candidates. "For our next question we'll start with Felandria. I think it carries nicely from one of her points. Some citizens are concerned with the influence that some outside, non-democratic organizations have on the city. Organizations like Vigil, Merc, and Halo all have operated in the city for what they believe are benevolent reasons, but what is your take on their activities, as well as how they may or may not be involved in the city going forward?"
Shadowcaller wrote: Apr 06, 2024 10:09 pm [Wandering Riverside]

"Ohh, soap. I know what that is." But why had they bothered grinding it down into a liquid? Seemed like a waste of time when the bars were perfectly fine.
"But OK, just one more question then, what do I do with the clothes? Since they stink too" She gestures at her robes. "Should I just clean them in the shower?"
[Wandering Riverside]

"Oh, I don't think this will be a good place for that." Nadia replies. That had slipper her mind. "I can find a bag for you to carry your clothes in so you can clean them later, and we should be able to find something simple for you to wear in the meantime. I'll have it arranged while you shower."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Wandering Riverside]

Raheeda grins widely, her sharp canines coming into view. "Thank you so much miss lady. Just give me a second then. I need to empty them all out first." She walks into one of the showers and pulls the curtain.

After that there's some shuffling and the noise of metal hitting the floor before she starts to push out an wide assortment of items under the shower curtain.
Two ropes, trail rations, a shovel, a glaive which edge looks far too hot to touch, a well-used spear, a number of glowing gem stones, what must be a fortune of foreign coins, a fancy-looking bident, a shield, a large knapsack which must also be filled with items, a pillow & sleeping bag, a camping axe and finally her robes along with underwear.

"I know it's, uh, a lot but you wouldn't want all this to come out when you wash them." Raheeda calls out from behind the curtain.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

quillpleasant wrote: Apr 03, 2024 4:36 am Chateau Xilo

"Okay, maybe fancy isn't a strong enough word," observes Simon as he strolls up the long driveway, glancing over his shoulder to make sure Rowan is still there. It's been a couple days since Atya showed up at the bakery, and after a number of brief and awkward texts between the siblings Simon secured an address and a time. Of course, now that they're here, the jitters are returning and he's barely able to keep his larger serpentine form.

And here is the Chateau, a large manor house that borders on opulent. Old and stately, with arched windows, elegant rooftops and more than enough balconies, it's clear that this place is both elegant and expensive. Beyond the house itself, the neat garden hedges and cobblestone paths are clearly well maintained.

The yard is home to a variety of peacocks, songbirds, mandarin ducks, dodos, and other exotic birds that seem to have the run of the place. They mill about fearlessly, crowding around the birdfeeders and fountains that dot the grounds.

"She did always like birds. Ugh, maybe this is a bad idea. I don't trust rich people, there's no way she got all this without doing some serious crime," says Simon, lashing his tail anxiously.
Chateau Xilo

That chateau is certainly something to look at, alright. Rowan suppresses the rumbling that permeates not his actual belly, but that of his soul at the sight of the mansion. All that wealth, the opulence. A mountain of jewels to lie upon, their facets pressed tight against-
No, no. Rowan is happy as a baker. And the only thing he's squeezing today is Simon's long head and neck. Which of course he does all the time, though this time without the usual layer of his trademark apron. Rowan committed to his promise and wore only his bag, a decision he is regretting as he stands before the gates. Though he also doesn't own any clothes that would look fancy enough for this place. Ratticus definitely looks uncomfortable riding in the bag's pocket instead of his usual perches, though.
"I mean, maybe the last owner was a bastard so she just stole all his shit?" Rowan suggests, pondering as he gives Simon a good squeeze. "That would at least be morally gray. And either way it means we get to enjoy fancy hospitality. Imagine all the free fancy tea and biscuits you get for staying at a fancy person's house." Of course he says this with a wide dragony maw that probably can't sip tea easily.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Chateau Xilo

"You know, that's not a bad guess?" says Simon, nodding thoughtfully and looping his tail over Rowan's shoulders to squeeze him back. Actually, he hopes it's something like that. If Atya got her wealth in a Robin Hood type way, he's feel a little better about the whole situation.

"Yeah, the least she can do is share a little, you know? I have this startup in need of investors, maybe I could convince her to chip in... if we figure everything else out, of course." He's still not totally convinced that reconnecting is a good idea in the first place.

Simon also doesn't share Rowan's hoarding instincts- at least, no more than the usual person. Despite his form, Simon's brain is still very much human, which can be both a blessing and a curse.

But taking heart from Rowan's confidence, he takes a deep breath and leads the two of them up to the front door, which is notably large enough for Rowan to enter without having to duck much. It has a gargoyle head knocker on it, because of course it does. He knocks with trepidation.

It's only a few moments of waiting before the door is opened. But not by Atya. A huge gray figure is framed within, elephantine skin covering solid muscle. With arms long enough to drag on the ground, her stance is apelike, but the wicked claws, railroad spike teeth and single huge yellow eye certainly set this being apart. Rowan might feel a little better about his own unclothed state since this creature isn't wearing anything either- not that there's anything there to hide.

She's also clearly the reason for the entrance's size, as she stands nearly as tall as Rowan, and is even more physically massive.

Simon shrinks back, flickering a little as the gray monster narrows her eye at the two of them. Then, with a grunting sound, she turns, beckoning for them to follow.
horses can attack and eat me
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Chateau Xilo

It's probably for the best, Simon. Being fully committed to dragon-brain would drive some to madness. The endless hunger, the fire in his belly, the way he can feel himself forcibly acting different around children. Yesterday Rowan found himself pondering how small one of his customers was. Truly Rowan is terrified of the creature he has become.

But speaking of Rowan and his size, now he finds himself face to face with someone actually his own size! Actually very comparable. The gray figure is slouched but at least in that state is about Rowan's height, though he obviously notices that she's built like a massive ape and he's...well he'd probably say more like a hippo. Either way he takes great pleasure in not having to look down. Even if all he says is, "Thanks."
There's no sense being rude to people even if you are not sure if they talk or not. He'll follow after the large person. He kind of wishes they had a name tag or something if they're not going to introduce themselves.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Chateau Xilo

Simon follows hesitantly behind Rowan, peering over his shoulder as they go. Right now, he's technically larger than the doorkeeper, considering his long coils- but should this be some horrible trap, his tiny dragon form could be crushed in her palm like an egg. So a little trepidation is understandable.

The two are led through a large entrance hall and down a couple corridors, each richly furnished with beautiful rugs, elegant crystal wall sconces, and various paintings of birds. There's a theme here. Before too long they emerge into what seems to be a conservatory, with arching glass walls letting in the sun and a wide variety of exotic plants growing within.

Fig trees and vanilla orchids cast dappled shadows on the tiled floor, while huge ferns and flowers of every hue brush the ankles of anyone walking through. The walls have hooks to support trailing grape vines, and a number of ornate pots contain bromeliads and pitcher plants.

Atya is standing by a glass table in the middle of the room, engaged in potting up a bush with small white flowers that an astute observer might recognize as catnip. She's... not very good at it. Dirt is strewn around, she's sweating, and the plant is currently standing at a weird angle. And contrary to what Rowan might expect, she's eschewed fancy dressing for a pair of dark coveralls and a striped crop shirt, both now stained with dirt.

As the monster leads her visitors into the room, Atya looks up and gives a somewhat pained smile, stabbing her trowel into the soil as she heads over to greet them.

"I do not have a green thumb, this stuff sucks so bad. I don't know how you do it," she says, addressing her gray friend. Turning to Rowan and Simon, she smiles. "This is my roommate Daisy, expert gardener and bodyguard. Daisy, this is my brother Simon and his boyfriend Rowan."

Daisy gives a wordless grunt, nodding at the two of them. Either she can't speak, or she just doesn't like doing so.

"Roommate? So are you...?" asks Simon, raising an eyebrow. Atya immediately shakes her head and Daisy sticks her tongue out in disgust.

"Not even close, she's way out of my league. Do either of you want something to drink? I have tea, coffee, milk, sodas, pretty much any alcohol you can imagine." It's a rather extensive collection.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Chateau Xilo

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Daisy. And to see you again, Atya." Rowan says warmly. Even if Simon is nervous about the whole thing it's certainly going just fine for now.
"Um. Something sweet is fine for now." Milk is for cookies, obviously. Rowan's never been a huge fan of beer and he lost his taste for it after being a dragon. Well, mostly. He hears there's some dragon beers he really ought to try some time...
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Chateau Xilo

"Yeah, do you have mountain dew code red zero?" asks Simon hopefully. Atya puts a hand over her heart in mock offense.

"You wound me. I have everything. Daisy, would you be a doll and get Simon... that thing he just said, and something sweet for Rowan?"

The monster grunts an acknowledgement and heads out of the conservatory, her heavy footsteps heading off further into the house. Atya, meanwhile, beckons the visitors over to her gardening table. Notably, there's a couple of extra large chairs here, presumably originally for Daisy but more than capable of supporting the dragons as well. Simon coils up in one of them comfortably.

"So. Let's get this out of the way first, so you don't need to agonize over it," says Atya brusquely, now that the pleasantries are done, "To my knowledge, none of our siblings are here. I haven't seen any of them since I left, so you don't need to worry about them popping up." Her voice softens. "And for what it's worth, I've changed. I don't hurt people anymore... well, unless they really deserve it. You guys have nothing to fear from me, okay?"

Simon hesitates, then slowly nods. She's saying everything he wants to hear, which is itself a little suspicious, but he can't deny that his initial panic seems more than a little silly at this point. "Okay. I... yeah. Sorry about before."

"Water under the bridge," says Atya, waving a hand dismissively, "So how'd you two meet? Dragrindr?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Chateau Xilo

Rowan takes great pleasure in being able to plop himself down into the chair without worrying about his size and innate cartoon physics causing it to shatter under him immediately.
"Well, from what Simon has told me it sounds like it's good that they're not here. And I'm glad that you're doing well, as much as that means from someone you've known for about five minutes."

He blushes a little bit at the suggestion. "Um. We met in a park around here, actually. Simon had just gotten to the Nexus and I kind of just. Um. Picked him up." That is kind of what happened. Someone might say that Rowan kind of took home the first man to show interest in him. And well, even Rowan wouldn't say that it's entirely inaccurate.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Mar 28, 2024 8:37 pm [Outten Inn]

"Yeah, it sucks but as I said, it was a long time ago and I was young. Maybe just eight or so. Besides, you see stories like that all the time in my line of work and I'm sure you do too."

She takes a quick look at her cards and throws out two.

"Honestly, I figured you both had some less recent ties with the 'trade' but it turns out my instinct was wrong this time around."
[Outten Inn]

"It happens. Sometimes ya take a stab in da dahk and it just doesn't wohk out foh ya." Hazel offers, tossing out a single card.

"Incidentally... we actually don't." Hana adds, dealing the new cards to Ava and Hazel. "Slavery is, like, mega illegal where we're from. And also kind of pointless, economically speaking. You've got to be a very sick POS with lots of contact with other sick P's OS to pull it off. We've seen like maybe three slaving rings between the two of us, if you count our individual experiences with the Guild separately."

"Fouh, if ya count dat crap da Old Earth govehnment was pullin' when dhey tried ta recreate Project Basilisk."

"Oh, no, of course not. That was a coercive think tank thing, not... you know, the shit these slavers are doing."

"Subject twelve."

"...All right, yeah, never mind, that definitely counted."
Murkus wrote: Apr 04, 2024 7:10 pm [Crash Site]

Good Doctors

"It seems we might be shorter of time than I thought," says Kalavak, looking up and around at the shuddering vessel.

Eun's penlight seems to work. Shahala's wound seals itself up with scabrous material for the time being, quickly stopping the bleeding, but it would be easy to start up again with rapid or frustrated movement. Shahala groans a little and shifts away from the light.

"We'll need to be leaving," says Kalavak. "This beast is not stable. And I'm afraid I must insist on asking the good man here a few pointed questions. Do you have something that will help him stay awake?" The wizard asks Eun. "Will he live a few minutes more?"
[Crash Site]

"Not that doesn't run the risk of killing him faster." Eun replies, lowering the penlight. "I'm working on a lot of assumptions here. I don't want to put any drugs in him unless I'm absolutely certain it's not going to poison him." She gives Shahala a small, apologetic smile. "...That means no painkillers, either. Sorry."

"If you want to ask him any questions, I recommend you help Doctor Bu carry him out." Khafir adds, once again raising her weapon. "And I would similarly recommend we leave now."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Chateau Xilo

Atya smiles at Rowan, rather genuinely. "Hey, I appreciate that. And you're right, it's good they're not here. I don't know what you've heard, but the stories we could tell... well, they'd be better suited for a campfire at night."

Simon nods in agreement. "Oh yeah. There was this one time when Luci decided to punish this merchant who sold horses after he wouldn't pay the protection insurance, so he used his mind control to take over the horses and-"

"Let's not talk about the horse thing, 'kay?" cuts in Atya, shaking her head with distaste. Simon nods, thinking better of it as well.

"So the park, huh? That's cute. Speaking of, how did you get here?" says Atya curiously.

"Well, funny story," Simon replies, very much expecting this line of questioning, "But I got killed by a dragon, and then woke up here. In her body. So I kind of thought it was the afterlife at first, until I met Rowan and he explained things more."

Just then Daisy reenters, holding a drink tray in one massive hand. She delicately serves up drinks- a mountain dew code red zero for Simon, a cream soda and glass of ice for Rowan, and a breaker of some kind of hissing green drink for Atya, which has an acrid chemical scent. The elf accepts it happily, taking a deep gulp as Simon fiddles with his bottle cap.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Crash Site]

Good Doctors

"The pain I can handle," Shahala says. He looks at Eun curiously. The blobby stuff of his helmet ripples down to reveal his face - a mostly human face, save for the kingly antlers protruding from his skull and the large, upraised ears of a stag. He has close-cut hair fading to silver, a mustache tapered to military neatness, and more lines in his face from blade-scars than from age. His eyes glitter fiercely - they're so brightly grey as to be nearly white. The old warrior still seems uncertain - he by no means trusts Kalavak to behave.

Kalavak makes a nasally scoff at the prospect of physically exerting himself. He looks between Bu and Khafir. "I'll save us all the trouble," he offers. "Though I need something." He smiles with only some of the proper teeth. "A bit of hair. A woman's hair, preferably, though any but my own will do. And quick now. Godsblood, but it's been long since I've worked a little magic!"

Control Room

Seveira doesn't answer Jade overtly - she's not exactly focused on it, at the moment - but the barely-restrained hostility transmitted between her towering form and the black-clad warrior is almost palpable. Alas, the question about what the adelarch looks like goes unanswered for now, too, except perhaps by the wounded man in Olympia's arms...

"A ring... a ring..." The man - K'vel, Seveira called him - murmurs weakly. "A ring in glass..." He doesn't seem good to move himself much at all for the moment.

The questions at least prove distracting. The shield bubbles are projected and envelop the three belligerents, leaving them floating suspended in their separate prisons. The black-clad warrior fires his weapon in surprise, the shape of what looks like a huge, golden wasp leaping out and bouncing off the inside of the sphere. It disintegrates in a puff of sparkling particles. He manages, at least, not to use the flask... "No! You're making a mistake!" He cries.

"Excuse me," says Seveira to Jade, floating in the bubble, but not yet testing its strength. Her long arms stretch out to flatten her palms against the concave curves. "What this boy is referring to? Those actions were undertaken against a tyrant... and against all the endless rot of the choking, oil-spewing iron machine he called empire. Very soon, the people will not even remember his name. And they'll revel in the forgetting."

"I may not have the adelarch just now..." She says... "But the toy soldier should not have it either." And she sounds determined to make sure of that.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

quillpleasant wrote: Apr 12, 2024 7:34 pm Chateau Xilo

Atya smiles at Rowan, rather genuinely. "Hey, I appreciate that. And you're right, it's good they're not here. I don't know what you've heard, but the stories we could tell... well, they'd be better suited for a campfire at night."

Simon nods in agreement. "Oh yeah. There was this one time when Luci decided to punish this merchant who sold horses after he wouldn't pay the protection insurance, so he used his mind control to take over the horses and-"

"Let's not talk about the horse thing, 'kay?" cuts in Atya, shaking her head with distaste. Simon nods, thinking better of it as well.

"So the park, huh? That's cute. Speaking of, how did you get here?" says Atya curiously.

"Well, funny story," Simon replies, very much expecting this line of questioning, "But I got killed by a dragon, and then woke up here. In her body. So I kind of thought it was the afterlife at first, until I met Rowan and he explained things more."

Just then Daisy reenters, holding a drink tray in one massive hand. She delicately serves up drinks- a mountain dew code red zero for Simon, a cream soda and glass of ice for Rowan, and a breaker of some kind of hissing green drink for Atya, which has an acrid chemical scent. The elf accepts it happily, taking a deep gulp as Simon fiddles with his bottle cap.
Chateau Xilo

Rowan accepts the glass happily, slowly sipping it. Somehow he has the function of lips despite clearly not having them. But eventually he does have to put it down and address some of the questions at hand.
"I guess we do need to ask you the same question. Do you remember how you got here? It seems pretty unlikely that two people from the same place would get here at the same time. And we think that there might be some well, strange forces at work. Namely, that someone might be observing Simon in ways we don't really understand." He doesn't want to go into all the details just yet but Rowan thinks they should put that on the table. His tail taps against the floor as he hopes he isn't dropping that too soon before Simon really got prepared to talk about it.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Murkus wrote: Apr 13, 2024 2:55 am [Crash Site]

Good Doctors

"The pain I can handle," Shahala says. He looks at Eun curiously. The blobby stuff of his helmet ripples down to reveal his face - a mostly human face, save for the kingly antlers protruding from his skull and the large, upraised ears of a stag. He has close-cut hair fading to silver, a mustache tapered to military neatness, and more lines in his face from blade-scars than from age. His eyes glitter fiercely - they're so brightly grey as to be nearly white. The old warrior still seems uncertain - he by no means trusts Kalavak to behave.

Kalavak makes a nasally scoff at the prospect of physically exerting himself. He looks between Bu and Khafir. "I'll save us all the trouble," he offers. "Though I need something." He smiles with only some of the proper teeth. "A bit of hair. A woman's hair, preferably, though any but my own will do. And quick now. Godsblood, but it's been long since I've worked a little magic!"
[Crash Site]

Khafir and Eun exchange a glance. Both of them qualify as potential donors, of course, but both are still contained in biohazard suits and for very good reason. Either of them taking off their helmets to donate a hair risked contact with any number of extraterrestrial pathogens inside the creature, including, potentially, the strain of madness those first refugees had warned them about.

Finally, Khafir hands Eun her pistol and gives her helmet a little twist, before pulling it off her head and nonchalantly ripping a lock of hair from her bun. "Here you are." She says quickly, offering it to Kavalak.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Chateau Xilo

Atya takes a moment to digest the information. "Well, I didn't come here by being killed by a dragon, that's for sure," she says, shaking her head in bewilderment at Simon's explanation. That's just... extremely weird.

At Rowan's question, she takes a moment to sip her drink, which makes an unpleasant crackling sound as it goes down her throat. "Well, I don't know how long ago Simon got here, but I've been here for a couple years now, laying low. And I came intentionally- I had a friend who does portal work, and she helped me relocate this estate to the Nexus. I've been..."

She sighs, and Simon looks at her questioningly. "Sorry, it's just... I know you're both curious, but you seem like your life is... good, and happy. And I don't want to put you in danger. Suffice to say that there's a very bad organization with a base here, and I'm trying to take it down, which is why I came. Turns out there's other reasons to stay, but yeah."

"Organization? What kind of organization?" asks Simon, his claws clicking on the table.

"One you really don't want to mess with. Don't worry, I have it covered. More importantly, who do you think is observing you?"

Simon glances between her and Rowan. "Well... so there was this dragon expert, and she kind of did this... soul vision thing. I didn't fully understand it, did you?" he asks Rowan.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Chateau Xilo

Rowan nods. Might as well full send it on the explanation.
”As you saw, Simon poofs back to his original body when he gets too stressed. Though it’s been modified since you saw it. Uh. Whoops. Well, We had an expert watch as this happened and she reported that this is not cosmetic. He has two entirely separate bodies. And the one not being used was floating in a tank in a lab.

So I don’t know if this group knows about you, but I find it hard to believe that Simon’s body is being held by a completely unrelated lab.”

He shakes his head.
”I don’t know anything about these people. So I have to ask if you think they might be messing with him because they know you’re after him or because they have interest in your whole family?”
And that doesn’t even get into Rowan’s greater fear about the whole scenario is: the possibility that from the start Simon has been he subject an elaborate lab experiment and the entire bit about getting eaten by a dragon was something he was only made to believe happened.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Chateau Xilo

Atya listens with increasing concern to the explanation. When Rowan is finished she stares down at the table, biting her lip as she tries to piece together a theory about these events.

And she doesn't seem to be happy about the result. Tilting back her drink, she proceeds to chug the entire thing, her throat taking on a faint orange glow as she does so. Setting the cup down heavily on the table, she runs a hand through her hair.

"Fuck."

After a moment of silence, Simon lashes his tail in frustration. "Okay, you clearly know something about this. Out with it!" Atya nods glumly.

"Okay, well so much for trying to protect you. You're right, there's no way it's a coincidence. It's the iii- the Institute for Interworld Illumination. They're a multi world spanning medical and pharmaceutical company that's a front for a cult. Their local chapter is in Skyside."

"That's that floating city, right?" interjects Simon. Atya nods.

"Yeah. As to why they'd go after both of us... well, they captured me years ago and did a lot of fucked up experimentation on me. I only escaped with Daisy's help. So my theory would be that they want people with similar genetics, so that's why they're doing... whatever it is they're doing to you."

Simon, who's been flickering a little, poofs into his smaller form, which gets a sympathetic smile from Atya.

"What I don't get is what giving you two bodies does for them. None of the tests they ran on me were anything like that."
Felandria
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Felandria »

Gullara wrote: Apr 08, 2024 2:51 am [Eastside Debates]

Very similar positions on that question, though it'd be up to the voters to decide how they feel about the nuances. Though Nadia can't help but think they're both underestimating what their personal finances can bring to the table. It's not as though she can't relate.

But enough of her personal thoughts, she rifles through her papers looking for a question that might have more contrast between the two candidates. "For our next question we'll start with Felandria. I think it carries nicely from one of her points. Some citizens are concerned with the influence that some outside, non-democratic organizations have on the city. Organizations like Vigil, Merc, and Halo all have operated in the city for what they believe are benevolent reasons, but what is your take on their activities, as well as how they may or may not be involved in the city going forward?"
As you may be well aware, I took over running HALO some time ago, and myself, along with Reinholdt and all the wonderful and brilliant minds who work with us are dedicated to science, and we strive to learn and experiment to make the Nexus a better place, and I’m certain the same is true of VIGIL, and while I cannot speak for MERC, as that’s the one I’m not a member of, I believe these organizations can be vital pieces of the health and prosperity of Eastside.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Outten Inn]

Sounded like they had experience alright.

"I take it you're from a more advanced society than me then, at least technologically speaking." Ava remarks as she glances at her new cards before looking back at the pair. Trying to determine how good a hand they were sitting on.
It would be harder as she had just come to know them and they both seemed pretty good at bluffing. But she also had a certain knack with reading people so an attempt will still be made.

"Though I shudder to think what a society I used to be a part of would do with people when they can't even be used as slaves." She shakes her head, not really wanting to entertain the thought. "But obviously the nexus is different in terms of slavery despite all the technology around here. Yet, it all seems centered within the guild, no? I've heard reports of slavery activity in both Outside and Seaside but they all seem connected to them."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Chateau Xilo

"Well...if it helps, I can do a lot of little magical effects with the food I make. We had the idea of doing that to track Simon's body when he swaps, but it sounds like you already know where this base is. But still...we could maybe figure out how to use that mechanism to sneak something into their lab."
Rowan sighs. It wouldn't be feasible with his skill but some part of him imagines giving Simon a cursed pastry that creates a big area of CURSE! and then swapping him. All those evil cult researchers getting hit with...well he hasn't really thought about nasty effects. He's only ever made two.
"And also if it helps I do happen to know a few superpowered teenagers if we need backup. They uh, hopefully know someone with superpowers who is a little older." He would probably consider Jubilex more useful in a fight than himself, regardless of if it's true.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Crash Site
Jade listens to the Severia's claims, and glares at her.
"I don't know anything about your war. But I do know that one of you is desperate to save another, and the other is glorying in his misery." "Athena" looks to "Olympia" for confirmation before releasing the armored warrior.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Shadowcaller wrote: Apr 09, 2024 7:10 am [Wandering Riverside]

Raheeda grins widely, her sharp canines coming into view. "Thank you so much miss lady. Just give me a second then. I need to empty them all out first." She walks into one of the showers and pulls the curtain.

After that there's some shuffling and the noise of metal hitting the floor before she starts to push out an wide assortment of items under the shower curtain.
Two ropes, trail rations, a shovel, a glaive which edge looks far too hot to touch, a well-used spear, a number of glowing gem stones, what must be a fortune of foreign coins, a fancy-looking bident, a shield, a large knapsack which must also be filled with items, a pillow & sleeping bag, a camping axe and finally her robes along with underwear.

"I know it's, uh, a lot but you wouldn't want all this to come out when you wash them." Raheeda calls out from behind the curtain.
[Wandering Riverside]

"Um, of course." Nadia replies simply. It seems there was a misunderstanding, but that the moment it didn't seem worth trying to correct her... Nadia considers this for a moment before she finds someone to help her. Raheeda will have free use of the shower for as long as she needs it.
~Images by Soushiyo
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Chateau Xilo

"Well, it would be nice to confirm- and it's a big lab, so tracking would still be useful if we want to break in and find the body. And sending them a magic mailbomb would be pretty fun. But they're on high alert after my last break in, so... we'd need a good plan." Atya rubs her eyes. She hadn't intended to go back there too soon, after how close things were last time. But if it's for her brother... well, she'll take the risk.

"I wouldn't be much help in a fight or anything, but with enough time I can absolutely hack into their security system, if that would help," volunteers Simon, "I got a lot of experience with that kind of stuff. Uh, not recently of course." He's been staying on the right side of the law recently for Rowan's sake.

Rowan's last comment gets a grimace from Atya. "I don't know if I want any kids involved. iii has a history of... well, it's not safe for kids, powers or no. But if they can connect you to some more powerful allies, that's a possible angle." She glances between Simon and Rowan with narrowed eyes.

"Now remember, the goal here is not to take down iii. Obviously that would be great eventually, but it's not feasible without a lot more firepower than I have access to. The goal is to find Simon's body and figure out how to fix that situation- and for that, stealth is a lot more important than power."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Apr 14, 2024 10:24 am [Outten Inn]

Sounded like they had experience alright.

"I take it you're from a more advanced society than me then, at least technologically speaking." Ava remarks as she glances at her new cards before looking back at the pair. Trying to determine how good a hand they were sitting on.
It would be harder as she had just come to know them and they both seemed pretty good at bluffing. But she also had a certain knack with reading people so an attempt will still be made.

"Though I shudder to think what a society I used to be a part of would do with people when they can't even be used as slaves." She shakes her head, not really wanting to entertain the thought. "But obviously the nexus is different in terms of slavery despite all the technology around here. Yet, it all seems centered within the guild, no? I've heard reports of slavery activity in both Outside and Seaside but they all seem connected to them."
[Outten Inn]

"Dhat makes sense." Hazel nods, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "Someplace like back home, da slave trade would neveh pick up. Not just cuz we hate it, but cuz da mahket just isn't dhehe. Why go to all da trouble of chainin' somebody up and makin' dhem clean when you can just get a roomba?"

"But the Guild and its associated businesses seemed a bit more... crude." Hana agrees, re-organizing her cards in her hand. "Like they were built with actual, literal trash. The weapons and outfits in the gladiator ring, the restraints the Guild used before then, the armaments among Guild members... I don't think they do it just for aesthetic. They seem like they're, you know, scrounging. And the people they're trading with are, too."

"So not really vehy advanced on dheir own." Hazel finishes.

"Right." Hana nods. "I mean, I'm still pretty sure the higher-ranking Guild members are all wealthy enough for our little scheme to work, but that's the higher-ups. I don't think very much of that money gets re-invested in their own business."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Chateau Xilo

Rowan looks a little glum at that.
"Yeah. I'm uh. Not very good at stealth or subtle. I can give you supplies but it's probably for the best that I stay home for this one." He definitely doesn't look happy about the prospect of staying home while everyone else goes on a dangerous mission.
"But if you tell me the kinds of hazards you expect I can prep your supplies accordingly. My magic is useful and mostly portable, I promise." Most people don't have room in their bags to carry twenty different magical cookies but a few definitely wouldn't hurt.
He'd offer to send Ratticus in his stead but he just doesn't think he'd be that useful either...
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Gullara wrote: Apr 08, 2024 2:51 am [Eastside Debates]

Felandria wrote: Apr 14, 2024 7:18 am As you may be well aware, I took over running HALO some time ago, and myself, along with Reinholdt and all the wonderful and brilliant minds who work with us are dedicated to science, and we strive to learn and experiment to make the Nexus a better place, and I’m certain the same is true of VIGIL, and while I cannot speak for MERC, as that’s the one I’m not a member of, I believe these organizations can be vital pieces of the health and prosperity of Eastside.
Eastside Debates

Atya raises her eyebrow at Felandria's answer, although she's still reeling from the way the incumbent mayor just poured a bagful of gold and jewels onto the stage. It feels like both an ostentatious show of wealth and something like a bribe. Not that she's one to judge, as Atya is far from poor herself. She's not that rich though.

But she swiftly regains her equilibrium as the metaphorical baton is passed to her.

"Excellent question. Obviously Vigil, Halo and the rest are not going anywhere- they're very powerful groups, and they've done some great things. But I would like to make it clear that they are not part of the government, and they do not operate above the law. Members of these organizations will not get any special treatment above the citizens of Riverside, nor can they operate with impunity here. As someone without any ties to these organizations, my first priority will always be the city itself, and the people who live here."

She lets that hang in the air for a moment. "That being said, if needed, I am certainly not opposed to working with these organizations to help deal with threats to Riverside, or to help in the rebuilding process. Boundaries are important, but that doesn't mean we can't work together for a better future for all."

Chateau Xilo

Atya nods in agreement. Giant dragon doesn't exactly scream subtlety, and it's not like he could pass as an employee, which is the plan she used last time. But...

"Supplies are a good idea. Magic isn't something I have a lot of access to, so we can definitely work together on that. But..." A plan is forming in her mind. A wild and dangerous plan.

"iii isn't just a lab. They're also a cult, and they recruit people all the time, to brainwash or to use for their experiments. Rather than just breaking in, another tactic we could use is to send someone undercover. Come off as someone unhappy with their life, seeking a way out. Infiltrate, get in, and then open a portal from inside. Obviously me and Simon are out, but... maybe you could do it."

Simon puffs into his tiny form. "No way! That'd be so dangerous, and besides, wouldn't they think it was suspicious for a big dragon to show up when they already have a dragon locked up?"

"There's all kinds of people in the Nexus, and the iii operates on weirder worlds than here. I doubt Rowan would raise any eyebrows. But it's just one possibility, and you're right that it would be risky." She looks questioningly at the baker, gauging his reaction.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Chateau Xilo

Rowan responds slowly to the proposal, tapping his tail thoughtfully against the floor.
"Well...I don't know anything about opening portals. But I wouldn't even really have to lie, if you think their culty nonsense would make someone like me believe they could handle someone like Granny. She's my um. We'll call her my 'patron against my will.' But definitely something I could pretty truthfully say I'd like help with. Of course, lying and not telling the truth are different things."
Which is a fancy way of saying that Rowan is so expressive he's not sure if he's a good liar or not. But he's a witch, it's in his job description isn't it?