Riverside

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Re: Riverside

Post by Ironsmith »

[Outten Inn]

The most Hazel does with any of those items is simply remove them from Ava's person, tossing them onto the bed to be retrieved at a later time.

"Well, the good news is, not any actual slavery." Hana replies, grabbing a few folders from the bag. "At least we don't think so, except maybe for some sort of human trafficking operation out of that one place I gather you people don't like talking about."

"And stretchin' youh definition of 'human' a bit."

"Right." Hana frowns. "No, we're pretty certain Guild activities here are, for the moment, limited to financial and political ties. Maybe as some kind preliminary groundwork for opening up a market here, but more likely just... well, essentially the equivalent of an offshore bank account."

"If ya make a lot of money in a city fulla thieves an' such, ya don't really want ta keep it dhere. Good way ta attract otheh thieves."

"So they put it in other places. Stocks, bonds, real estate, that kind of thing. Places where they can put their money to work without running the risk of being raided, setting themselves up a little nest egg of sorts in the event something hits them hard. Or just when they're ready to retire." Hana flicks open her folder and runs her finger down a column, quickly scanning it, before promptly discarding it. "Normally, that doesn't help us. Of course money's moving from one city to another, and the Guild's been in operation long enough that you can be sure they're going to be sneaky about it. The last thing they want is the local police force getting wind of seizable assets in their backyard."

"But we know somethin' da police don't." Hazel smiles. "What actual, physical currenceh dhey're usin'. Dhem, an' nobodeh else. So if we go lookin' through da recohds foh businesses dat ahe tryin' to switch out dat currenceh foh somethin' a little mohe usable..."

"...we know then that they ultimately have some connection back to the Slavers' Guild." Hana smiles. "Maybe not them immediately, but somewhere along the chain of deals that keeps these places running. Like here." She taps the folder labeled "Wild Mike's". "I doubt the Guild's invested in this. But if Guild members ever come here for a drink, they're going to be paying with our money. The bar owner probably wouldn't know it's our money, and so he's going to eventually try to exchange it for, say, an equivalent amount of rupees or something, to be used in Riverside."

"So we find dhese places dhat do some amounta business wit' Guild personnel, do a little prunin' ta make it mohe practical ta go lookin' for membehs there..."

"...And sooner or later, the money trail leads us back to something we can hit. Hard."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.

Tags:
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Sunrise Diner]

Rein’s request seems to briefly take May off-guard. Not tell anyone? As in Rein might have his own secret natures and history that might come up? Or just that he didn’t want her to let anyone know about this afterwards because of how severely in trouble he’d get? Either way, it doesn’t change May’s response. ”Okay. I promise not to tell anyone either.”
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

Man, this lady really knows how to ask the difficult questions. Still, it's actually kind of exciting. Like a way to practice for actual press interviews in the future.

But there's something about Obriane's genuine concern and earnestness that makes Atya want to be a bit more honest than she'd usually be. Sure, in public speeches and interviews it's important to be a little vague, and very carefully guarded about your answers. But here, that kind of thing seems too mean spirited.

"Invasion is possible, but... I hesitate to create an actual military. Cost aside, in the best case scenario where there aren't any attacks, bored soldiers can be a problem on their own." She frowns. "I honestly don't know that much about how Vigil functions, but I'll be doing some research on it. And employing them on a more regular basis is definitely a possibility. But I think that improving the economy and quality of life in this city are a larger priority for me."

She flashes a devilish grin. "And some problems I can handle myself. Believe it or not, I'm a highly trained warrior, and me and Daisy will be first on the scene if anyone attacks the city. I'm not the kind of mayor to hide in her office if the people are in danger."
horses can attack and eat me
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Sunrise Diner]

Reinholdt nods with assurance. "Well, I think that's everything, unless you had something else." Reinholdt finishes off his coffee so as not to let it go to waste. "I don't think putting it off is going to make it easier, so shall we get going?" Plus they don't want to stay out too long, May has a curfew! Presumably.

[Charity Dinner]

Reinholdt frowns. Anyone who's had a cute kid has pictures. Maybe not a picture for every occasion, but at least A picture. This was incredibly suspect. Was Braon a mother or was she just angling for some sympathetic backstory she thinks will work on him?

Well she at least proves to be incredibly distracting with her continued dialogue. "I think it's unfair of you to make that judgement prematurely. Perhaps he has having a bad day. Perhaps he was drunker than you. Perhaps his culture is entirely different. You can't know he's irresponsible just cause you feel like you have been in the past." Reinholdt waves a little with his hand, speaking as someone who's had to connect with Blanche after missing so many years. "Besides, you wouldn't be finding him and getting to know him for your sake or for his. You'd be doing it for the kids. They're going to know that other kids have two parents. They're going to feel that void in their lives. They're gonna wonder if maybe he just didn't love them enough, even if he never got the chance to. It doesn't matter how logical it is or isn't, there's a very high chance they'll loathe themselves, that they'll come to resent him,... and that they'll come to resent to you as well. If you're able, at least try to find him ok? For them? Then if he turns out to be a total shit, you can kick him to the curb, no regrets."
► SHOW SPOILER
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Sunrise Diner]

”No, that’s… yeah, that’s everything I think,” May answers, doing much the same once she realizes Reinholdt is moving to leave. She falls in step and slips the sword over her shoulder once more. ”Yeah. I’m as ready as I can be,” she answers.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

Braon opens her mouth to object, only to close it again when she realizes she doesn't have an objection. Rein has a point. And it was the same general idea that led her to sticking around herself, rather than sloughing her kids off onto GLoG under the premise that she'd be an unfit parent.

And besides, there's significance to hearing this from Rein in particular.

"...You realize you're on that list, right?" She asks, looking up at him again. "As in, if I were to track down everyone I slept with just before getting pregnant? That when we're talking about their father, we might be talking about you?" She crosses her arms and stares up at him bemusedly. "...And that wasn't a secret between us going in. I'm perfectly willing to not go poking around, and leave you alone to live your own life, which it looks like is already full of important stuff."

Her gaze shifts over to Atya as she explains, leading up to the all-important question.

"...Is this your way of saying you want in? That, if it does turn out they're yours, you're willing and able to be an actual father?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

Reinholdt's face twists like he's trying to comprehend a foreign language, while the rest of his body freezes up slightly. He very slowly blinks at Braon, clearly trying to comprehend what the fiendling was saying, and with equally slow measure he replies.

"... Wait.

What?"

The thought appears to have not once crossed his mind.
► SHOW SPOILER
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

Oh come on.

Braon's expression hardens. "Yeah. Do you not know how babies are made, Rein?" She raises an eyebrow, mildly amused despite the serious situation. "...I'm going to take that answer as a 'no', then. And have to take some other route for giving my kids a present father. Maybe they do need one, but they don't need one who'll half-ass the job and doesn't want to be there."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

Reinholdt stammers. "I well, I just, I had thought... I meant... I believed the children younger and... is all... I mean." Reinholdt tugs at his collar and takes a breath.

"L-look, you just took me off guard is all. That's not a no. If they're mine, I'll be there," Reinholdt replies firmly, before pausing a little. "Wherever, um, there is. Where are you living anyways?"
► SHOW SPOILER
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Charity Dinner]
quillpleasant wrote: Feb 19, 2024 6:09 am "If there's anything I won't forget, it's what it's like to live on the fringes," says Atya to the Queen. She's done her fair share of dumpster diving and begging to stay alive. Probably a lot more than any fey lord.

The Queen's question makes her eyes narrow suspiciously for just a moment. Does this strange yet entrancing woman have some ulterior motives for coming here? Well, who doesn't?

"Well, demons are people too. They have free will, and there's good ones. Like the lady Braon, who you met briefly earlier." Sure she's not technically a demon. The details of classification matter to Atya not one whit.

"But anyone who threatens the stability and safety of this city or the people in it must be stopped. I suppose my first action would be to start an ongoing deescalation campaign to help bridge the gap people mortals and demons, as well as launch an investigation to find out the why's and wherefores of the attacks. This is a more complicated issue than the black and white that people take it for."
The queen listens to Atya intently. It's faintly unsettling, the way it can be when someone is carefully registering every word you say.

"Hmm. That is a complex battlefield you have to navigate. I am curious to see how you fare. But for now, I shouldn't take up too much of your time."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

The Queen is a little unsettling. Usually Atya is good at being scrutinized, but there's something about this one that makes it seems like she knows something Atya doesn't, and is secretly laughing about it. It's just a feeling, but it's not a pleasant one.

But of course, one must keep up appearances. Atya dips her head in acknowledgement.

"Well, I aim to impress. I appreciate the conversation, your majesty, and look forward to more in the future. Please, feel free to stay and mingle. I'm certainly not the only local politician here." She smiles politely before turning away.

Well, that's given her a lot to think about. But of course, there's something else on her mind as well, that being Reinholdt and Braon. She has her suspicions of how that's playing out, and despite the morbid curiosity she feels, somehow she's not quite eager to rip off that particular band aid.

Flagging down a waitress, she grabs an entire bottle of wine and takes a swig from it. Then she begins to scan the crowd for Reinholdt's telltale blue hair. But slowly. Just in case she sees something she won't like.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ironsmith wrote: Feb 19, 2024 12:51 pm [Outten Inn]

The most Hazel does with any of those items is simply remove them from Ava's person, tossing them onto the bed to be retrieved at a later time.

"Well, the good news is, not any actual slavery." Hana replies, grabbing a few folders from the bag. "At least we don't think so, except maybe for some sort of human trafficking operation out of that one place I gather you people don't like talking about."

"And stretchin' youh definition of 'human' a bit."

"Right." Hana frowns. "No, we're pretty certain Guild activities here are, for the moment, limited to financial and political ties. Maybe as some kind preliminary groundwork for opening up a market here, but more likely just... well, essentially the equivalent of an offshore bank account."

"If ya make a lot of money in a city fulla thieves an' such, ya don't really want ta keep it dhere. Good way ta attract otheh thieves."

"So they put it in other places. Stocks, bonds, real estate, that kind of thing. Places where they can put their money to work without running the risk of being raided, setting themselves up a little nest egg of sorts in the event something hits them hard. Or just when they're ready to retire." Hana flicks open her folder and runs her finger down a column, quickly scanning it, before promptly discarding it. "Normally, that doesn't help us. Of course money's moving from one city to another, and the Guild's been in operation long enough that you can be sure they're going to be sneaky about it. The last thing they want is the local police force getting wind of seizable assets in their backyard."

"But we know somethin' da police don't." Hazel smiles. "What actual, physical currenceh dhey're usin'. Dhem, an' nobodeh else. So if we go lookin' through da recohds foh businesses dat ahe tryin' to switch out dat currenceh foh somethin' a little mohe usable..."

"...we know then that they ultimately have some connection back to the Slavers' Guild." Hana smiles. "Maybe not them immediately, but somewhere along the chain of deals that keeps these places running. Like here." She taps the folder labeled "Wild Mike's". "I doubt the Guild's invested in this. But if Guild members ever come here for a drink, they're going to be paying with our money. The bar owner probably wouldn't know it's our money, and so he's going to eventually try to exchange it for, say, an equivalent amount of rupees or something, to be used in Riverside."

"So we find dhese places dhat do some amounta business wit' Guild personnel, do a little prunin' ta make it mohe practical ta go lookin' for membehs there..."

"...And sooner or later, the money trail leads us back to something we can hit. Hard."
[Outten Inn]

"I had no idea the guild has such ambitions. Figured they kept themselves to raiding villages in seaside and outside. But I should have known better." Like any true capitalist they didn't know when to quit it seemed.

She crosses her hands over her chest. "So it would seem to be in my interest to investigate these businesses or would that get in the way of your plans?"
quillpleasant wrote: Feb 20, 2024 5:27 am Charity Dinner

Man, this lady really knows how to ask the difficult questions. Still, it's actually kind of exciting. Like a way to practice for actual press interviews in the future.

But there's something about Obriane's genuine concern and earnestness that makes Atya want to be a bit more honest than she'd usually be. Sure, in public speeches and interviews it's important to be a little vague, and very carefully guarded about your answers. But here, that kind of thing seems too mean spirited.

"Invasion is possible, but... I hesitate to create an actual military. Cost aside, in the best case scenario where there aren't any attacks, bored soldiers can be a problem on their own." She frowns. "I honestly don't know that much about how Vigil functions, but I'll be doing some research on it. And employing them on a more regular basis is definitely a possibility. But I think that improving the economy and quality of life in this city are a larger priority for me."

She flashes a devilish grin. "And some problems I can handle myself. Believe it or not, I'm a highly trained warrior, and me and Daisy will be first on the scene if anyone attacks the city. I'm not the kind of mayor to hide in her office if the people are in danger."
Charity Dinner

Obriane looks at Atya in surprise. So she was a soldier too? She supposed you had to be pretty extraordinary if you were going to be a mayor candidate. Perhaps she actually was over a hundred years old?
"R-really? Well, then I suppose you would know a thing or two about the military then."

She stares down on her notebook.

An idea starting to form.
A childish idea.
Yet...

"Uhh... so... this is probably gonna sound really stupid but... well, when I was a child my mom always used to tell me this story. It was about a knight who tamed a great wurm and had it protect his home city from an invading army. The creature was so massive it could coil around the city and form a great wall."

A beat.

"My point is, couldn't we have some arrangement with a really powerful being to protect the city? Since the nexus is full of those, right? Like a dragon or... something like that."
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Feb 21, 2024 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

Atya waives a hand dismissively. "I know enough about military to know that they're overrated and a double edged sword." She doesn't bother explaining that her skill in fighting comes almost entirely from illegal activities rather than formal training. Doesn't seem like it would inspire much confidence, really.

And then the rather outlandish suggestion. Atya considers it for a moment, biting her lip as she weighs the pros and cons.

"That's... not a bad idea. I'd just need to find something powerful enough, and trustworthy enough. You don't know anyone like that, do you?" It's not like she knows any dragons, and in order to protect a whole city you'd need to be really powerful. "Either way that's definitely worth looking into. I mean, if there was such a being, it would be a lot more efficient than an army." And also a lot worse if it turns on you, but she'll burn that bridge when she comes to it.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

"Nope. Fifteen months, give or take." Braon replies nonchalantly. "...Which sounds like a lot longer than it feels, now that I say it out loud. Huh."

"...Right. I live at GLoG right now. Wormwood Cabin. I trust you know where that is, or can at least find it pretty easily if you don't." She frowns, glancing over the crowd and catching sight of Atya probably catching sight of them again. "...Not to put a damper on your, erm... well, very sweet intentions, but... how exactly do you plan on explaining this to your girlfriend?"

[Outten Inn]

"Until we hand oveh da recohds and tell ya what to look for, ya can't do shit, lady." Hazel points out. "Even now dat we've told ya what we'he doin'. All we'd have ta do is knock you out and be gone within da hour, and ya'd have no idea how ta follow us."

"And we aim to keep it that way for now." Hana claps the folder shut. "Contrary to appearances, Detective Farstride, we're not stupid. You might have a personal stake in seeing the Guild taken down a peg. So does half the Nexus, in all likelihood."

"Ya also have a professional conflict'a intehests, gettin' involved wit' us." Hazel points out. "Especially since I put bullets in half a dozen'a youh cowohkers less dhen an hour ago. Can't imagine youh boss is gonna be happy 'bout dat."

"The best possible outcome for you right now is that you have your cake and eat it, too; give your superiors a lead on seizable Guild assets, and bring in a pair of dangerous fugitives in the bargain." Hana frowns. "So before we start enabling that, let's talk terms."

"Minimum full amnesteh. Anythin' less dhan dat is a waste'a ouh time."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

"Yeah, that... sounds about right." Fifteen months plus... is... probably around that time. Maybe. Time was always a little fuzzy to Rein, it never did click properly with him.

"Oh. Good League of Good. I'm familiar with it." Reinholdt shuffles his feet awkwardly. That means Toby. That means Sophie. If they catch wind of this, they're gonna eat him alive.

Reinholdt peeks around the corner towards Atya, discretely. The blue hair ducking back shortly after catching a glance of the mayoral candidate. "Atya? I'll just tell her. We both had lives before meeting each other, it shouldn't be a problem." He helped her invade a dangerous lab to take down a corrupt corporation and seek a cure. That's all a metaphor for changing diapers, isn't it? She can return the favor now. "Anyways, I'll drop by later this week to donate my genetic material."
► SHOW SPOILER
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

As Atya scans the crowd, she sees a glimpse of blue. There, behind that corner! Wait, is he hiding? That's... not a good sign. And she's starting to get a headache too. Although she's extremely resistant to alcohol, she has been drinking poison all night, and it's starting to get to her. She grimaces as she walks over, blinking rapidly and taking a deep breath-

Wait, what was that about genetic materials?

She steps out, putting on a too-perfect smile as she looks between Reinholdt and Braon. "Hey, guys. Sorry, don't mean to interrupt your little... reunion. Just thought I'd check in, see if you needed any, like, snacks or anything." Lifting up the wine bottle, she takes a drink. And continues to drink. By the time she stops it's half empty.

"But yeah, just let me know and I can leave you to it." She gives an altogether too enthusiastic thumbs up.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Charity Dinner

Obriane had zero experience with the military of any kind so she was sure whoever might be in charge would be.
So even if she wasn't sure what Atya meant by "double-edged sword" she was more than ready to move on to the next topic.

Unfortunately, coming up with ideas on the fly gave one little time preparing for them.

"Uhh... I can't say I do, miss Atya. Unless you count deities and such but I'm not even sure those exist. I mean, not the ones people believed in back home at least."

[Outten Inn]

Ava's eyebrow raises and so does her hands as she's given what they said a moment of thought. "Alright, while I'm certainly open to that it would be dishonest of me if I didn't point out that Eastside, and by extension the eastside police, might be in for a shift of leadership soon. So while I could try make my bosses grant you that they might not be my bosses for long."

The two might be aware of the upcoming election.

"The word is that a Atya Xilo, a newcomer, is favored to win. Does the name ring a bell?"
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Arkhosia wrote: Feb 15, 2024 4:55 am [Bird Watching]

To Atsede's credit, Skyla does blink. Wow, that was smooth. But she's not here to let Atsede score yet again. "Yeah, I know." The interested and eager facade drops immediately. The girl plants her hand on Atsede's shoulder and pushes her back as she herself leans away... which is just the cue the mastermind needs to act.

"Hello, Atsede." The changeling will only get a moment to look up and see Dulcinea's pallid face loom over the railing like a spectre in the darkened light, eyes fixed on her with a triumphant and predatory shine. Then she upends her cup straight over Atsede's head, drenching her in a extra-large serving of cola.
Gullara wrote: Feb 16, 2024 2:07 am [Bird Watching]

Accompanying this attack, from further back, is an uncommon source of laughter. Reilana isn't much for overt expressions of mirth, but this is too good.
[Bird Watching]

There's a moment of surprise and confusion on Atsede's face as she's pushed back, looking up to hear the voice of an ex. "Dulcie?"

And then the soda hits, causing the changeling to gasp in shock as the cold drink soaks into her hair and clothes, leaving her drenched. There's a very, very brief pause as she takes it all in. Then, "What the FUCK!!?"

Someone else in the audience gives an annoyed shush, and Atsede briefly returns their glare, before spinning back to face Dulcinea. "You!" She hissed in fury-albiet a bit quieter this time- as she noticed Reilana in the back, and then a more general, "what the fuck was that for!?" It's probably hard for any of the three to take her indignation seriously though, what with her hair being plastered to her face with cola.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Crash Site]

Control Room

Seveira makes a small 'tch' sound, but she seems to take Jade's declaration at face value. "You are chymera," she says, "But serve no house. You both throw yourselves into burning wreckage very often, hm?"

Just as sudden as her threat comes Seveira's smile. "I like the people here already! Heroes! Lovely. And all so pretty and shiny."

The man groans in Olympia's arms. Her treatment seems to be effective. Like sudden thunder the man - creature? - pursuing Jade barges into the room, breaking part of the entry arch, his tattered cloth raiments in flames. He stands there, still flickering with small flames, when he sees Seveira.

Seveira looks pleased to see him. They have a brief, rapid-fire exchange in a curious language.

Seveira looks at Jade. "Zebal claims that he thought you were a servant of Lord Shimmur. That you were providing aid and succor to our enemy. But I can see now that you were simply helping whoever needed help. Like the brave young lady here."

"I must confer with my friend. Please, help K'vel, if you can," Seveira says, moving out of Jade's way. K'vel seems to be the unconscious and bloody fellow Olympia is tending to.

The Doctors

The weird little bearded man straightens up when he hears Eun. He blinks. Then smiles. He's missing a few of his teeth. "A doctor! Oh, splendid! Shahala, you're in luck, you old swine!" If Eun steps into Kalavak's line of sight, his eyebrows will rise. "You don't look like any healer I've ever seen. I... Oh, where are my manners?"

Kalavak does a little rolling bow, whirling one arm grandly as he does, the other twitched behind his back. As he does so, a cloud of blackbirds swirl from the holes in his head and hands, briefly obscuring sight of him. The ragged looking creatures whirl and dip and perch around the chamber. "I am the great wizard Kalavak So'nostra Simbosa. Shepherd of elder nightmares, worker of forces, eraser of the Mythrad Khoss. I have been kidnapped. Thank goodness my terrible ordeal is near its end! And to whom do I have the pleasure of speaking? And so lovely a sight she is!"

Shahala looks at Eun, incredulous, but his eyes seem to beg aid. Or perhaps urge her to murder Kalavak. The way he holds himself, even so badly wounded, is the way a person might while in a small room with a rabid animal.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

"We're good on that front." Braon replies quickly, turning her attention back to Atya and doing her best to not look like she's anticipating an awkward conversation. Or guilty. She definitely doesn't want to look guilty. Especially as she hasn't actually done anything wrong here.

...Okay, maybe the thing with Rein's ear was a bit far. But in fairness, she thought he was being an asshole at the time.

"How'd things go with that queen lady?" She asks, glancing briefly at Rein. Leaving her alone with her was, allegedly, the point. No sense in acting like their conversation here had some kind of priority over that.

[Outten Inn]

"We've seen da ads, yeah." Hazel confirms, plopping onto to couch. "Way too many'a dhem, if ya ask me. Dhough I might be just a little biased by havin' nothin' ta do except watch them for the past... what, tree months?"

"Give or take." Hana shrugs. "But also, it really shouldn't matter. If your legal system is worth a damn, the next mayor won't be able to rescind a pardon the current one gives out. And if your legal system isn't worth a damn, there's really no point in having this conversation."

[Crash Site]

"I, um..." Eun clears her throat nervously, reaching for the Hotbox at her waist. "...Doctor Eun-Jung Bu. Um... scholar of, uh..."

Khafir steps up behind her, giving her a gentle nudge. "A man is bleeding out, Doctor."

"Right." Eun shuffles up next to the wounded man, kneeling next to him to examine his injuries more closely. Khafir, meanwhile, is still holding her weapon at the ready; not brandishing it, exactly, but only one flick of the wrist away from putting a bullet into anybody in the room who presented an immediate threat.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

Reinholdt smiles at Atya for a moment, though it fades a little into concern as Atya starts drinking heavily from the wine bottle. "Oh no, we're all good here. Just wrapping it up."

He nods in agreement with Braon. "Yes, did... things go poorly with the queen?" Rein motions lightly at the bottle. "I know you can't get drunk very easily, but eyes are watching tonight." He doesn't want Atya to mistakenly give other people the wrong impression because they don't understand her unique medical situation.
► SHOW SPOILER
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

Atya shrugs at Obriane. "If gods exist, I haven't met any yet. But I'll certainly keep an eye out for someone strong enough to protect the city." Who knows? Maybe the stars will align.

"So, did you have any other concerns that I can address? Don't hesitate to ask." It's important to make people feel seen, especially because then they'll spread the word.

For a moment, Atya just stares incredulously at Reinholdt and Braon. Are they deliberately ignoring her passive aggressive sarcasm, or are they actually that oblivious? And which of those two possibilities is more infuriating?

Okay then. Less passive, more aggressive.

She sniffs at their questions. "Things went great with the Queen. Now I have some creepy elder fey as an ally. Surely that'll be healthy." Reinholdt's concern gets a condescending smile. "God, you're right. Can't let my dear public see who I really am, I'd be ruined." She deliberately takes another swig.

A pause. Atya grimaces.

"Listen, I just... if you two are a thing, that's okay. I get it! But I really, really hate when people lie to me. So explain what the fuck is going on here. Please."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

...And there's the downside of finding someone so much like Braon.

The fiendling takes a deep breath and braces herself, internally trying to find the best way to phrase this. She's basically talking to herself, how hard can it really be?

"...We were a thing." She begins flatly. "For about five hours, one night, well before either of us met you." She knows that's true for herself, at least, and if Rein has any sense at all it's true for him, too. "Given the context, I thought Rein was trying to bring that back up, hence our, ah, exit earlier. We've since sorted it out."

Okay, now for the million-gold-coin question; does she tell Atya what they were talking about exactly, or does she wait and let Rein tell her in private?

...Now. Definitely now. If she lets suspicions build they're never going away.

"When we got to talking, the subject came back around to my kids. Specifically the timing. And the possibility that Rein might be the father." She crosses her arms. "We were making arrangements for him to come visit and do a test to be sure when you got back."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Charity Dinner

"Yeah, that sort of stuff is... complex." Obriane admits, her parents certainly didn't really share a view of it and if not even they could agree on what even a 'god' was then how would anyone else?

She then looks down at her list as Atya asks about her other concerns. "There was just one more question I had. How are you planning to rebuild Eastside? Since as I understand it there have been homeless people moving into many of the destroyed buildings. In fact, I think a lot of them became homeless once their homes got destroyed. Not to mention the whole-"

And just like that another thought occurs to her.

"-uh, hell bent area. Though that might be a question in of itself." Obriane had heard a lot of rumors about it, but as it wasn't in Eastside it wasn't really Atya's concern. However a lot of people getting killed, regardless if it happened to be across an invisible line or not, felt like Obriane's concern at least.

[Outten Inn]

"I will do my best to give you what you want." Ava confirms. "Just saying that there might be some complications if they can't agree on it right away since Atya seems to be planning a lot of police reforms specifically." She trusted that there weren't some hidden away crimes other than this one, since in that case it just wouldn't be plausible for her to do anything.

"So what else do you want out of this deal?"
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

Reinholdt frowns softly at Atya's petulance. "Not at all. I'm saying they'll make the wrong assumptions without understanding who you really are. And you're too wonderful for them to lose over a misunderstanding."

Braon fields the question and gives a surprisingly thorough answer. While Rein would rather have waited until later to discuss it, it was clear Atya wouldn't let them put it off. He nods along. "That's the long and short of it. We met once about two years ago. Now I've got to swing by GLoG and take a paternity test," Rein confirms, his voice low.
► SHOW SPOILER
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

"That's an excellent question!" says Atya to Obriane, beaming, "And one I care a lot about. I've spent a good part of my life living unhoused, and it's very important to me that people have shelter and their basic needs met. I'm going to allocate a sizeable amount of funding into rebuilding, create a volunteer program to expedite the work, and put some of my personal wealth into it as well." She considers for a second. "Well, that last bit will happen regardless of if I'm elected or not, actually. And all of this must be done without evicting people- there's no point in rebuilding if not to help those who need it."

People are a lot more important than buildings, after all.

"As for Hell Bend, I'm trying to figure out who's behind that attack. Obviously I can't step in and fix anything directly, but refugees will always be welcome, and we can try to provide humanitarian aid when needed." Although she doesn't specify, without knowing the motivation for the attack, there is of course a risk of Riverside being targeted as well. More information would definitely help.

"...oh." Atya looks between Braon and Reinholdt, her heart sinking a little. The latter's statement about misunderstandings seems doubly applicable to this situation, and it gives her pause. She carefully sets down her bottle of wine on a table, then proceeds to take out a cigarette and light it. She knows Reinholdt hates that, but she needs it right now.

Of course it had to be kids. That's almost worse than the alternative, since it gives her something else to be jealous over. She smooths out the front of her dress unconsciously.

"You know," she says, meeting Braon's eyes levelly, "If you had just told me this right away, I would have helped. You didn't need to lie. Especially after I had just finished telling you how fucking insecure I am about..." She glances at Reinholdt and shakes her head. A definite note of bitterness is creeping into her voice, but she holds it in check.

There's a lot of things Atya could bring up, and there's a big part of her that wants nothing more than to go into a screaming meltdown. But she can't, because she cares, which makes the whole thing even worse. She takes a drag on her cigarette.

"...okay. I get it. Hey, no hard feelings. Rein, you know I care about you, and Braon, I think you're pretty cool. If they are your kids, then you've got my full support. All I ask is that I get to come with to find out." She smiles, just a little too brightly.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Charity Dinner]

Braon wants to object to that, point out that she actually didn't lie about her connection to Reinholdt so much as remember it at an inconvenient time, but there's something stopping her.

Which is to say, that look in Atya's eyes.

Braon frowns a little, letting her arms drop to her sides. Atya's doing an impressive job holding it together, but the fiendling can hear the ticking sounds from here. This is not nearly as resolved as she would like for either of them to think it is.

"Okay, fuck that." Braon moves forward, pulling Atya into a genuine but no doubt still awkward hug. "You got a room in this house where you're not gonna have any guests for a minute? Ideally soundproof and close enough we could bow out for fifteen minutes or so?"

...It doesn't occur to her until after the request is out of her mouth that it doesn't actually sound very much like she's offering catharsis. Or rather, not of a nature of something as clean and pretty as screaming into a pillow. But, it's a bit too late to renege on the offer. She'll just have to hope Atya is in more of a pillow-screaming sort of mood.

[Outten Inn]

"Not so extensive that they're not willing to work out basic little-for-big-fish-type deals, I'd hope." Hana frowns.

"Apaht from dat, we'he also gonna want ouh van back. And what's left of ouh sentence dismissed, but I dhink you coulda already guessed dat."

"I think that about covers it, honestly." Hana shrugs. "Give us back our shit and let us get on with our lives. We're retiring after this, so that really should be the end of it."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Crash Site
control room

"I've got bandages, antiseptic, and some tools," "Athena" replies. She doesn't have super high-tech medical gear like Olympia does. "What's the problem?" It looks to her like Olympia has it under control. It might be better for her to go do what she can for someone else
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Reinholdt
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Reinholdt »

[Charity Dinner]

Reinholdt glances down at the carpet. Atya wasn't taking this spot of his history as well as he had hoped. And something had happened between Braon and Atya that he totally missed. There wasn't a number among the trio that couldn't recognize a forced smile. "Yeah, I'd be honored if you were there too. I won't go without you."

By the time Rein looks back up, Braon is hugging Atya and offering... offering some exclusive private time. WhAt? Was he included or excluded from that offer? What was Braon's intentions? It'd be quite terrible for anyone to murder anyone tonight. But he's kind of at a loss here and his eyes just remain wide as he doesn't really know how Atya is going to react to this forward approach.
► SHOW SPOILER
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Charity Dinner

Reinholdt's acquiescence to her demand does help Atya feel a little better. Her fake smile becomes just slightly more real. And then... what???

Of all the things Atya was expecting, a hug wasn't one of them- especially not from Braon of all people. Her other feelings are temporarily dispelled by shock, and she goes completely still. It's like hugging a very soft statue.

And as if that wasn't confusing enough, then she's asking for... fifteen minutes in a soundproof room. The intended meaning goes completely over Atya's head and she settles on two possibilities. Either Braon is propositioning her, or she wants to kill her. Either possibility is so bizarre in this context that it somewhat jars her out of the self pitying spiral she had started.

"Uh... okay...?" She glances at Reinholdt, but he seems just as lost as she is. Well, kiss or kill, she'd want him there regardless. Call her suspicious, but she's not going off alone with anyone who might have a grudge against her.

"Yeah, screw it, why not. It's not like anything historic will happen while we're gone. But Reinholdt comes with. Follow me." Beckoning to both of them, she leads the way through the crowd, nodding and smiling to the people she passes to keep up appearances.

Should they follow, she'll lead them down a short hallway to a stairwell, and then down a floor. It seems to be a preparation area for the event center, with a couch, some potted plants, and three adjoining rooms for storage or food preparation. Since the event was catered, this place is utterly abandoned, and while not soundproof it's distant enough that the party can't be heard.

"Okay. If this is an attempt on my life, you should know that I am armed." The way she says it makes it clear that she's at least half joking- and is is a mystery where a weapon could even be hidden in her dress.