GLoG

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: GLoG

Post by Morty »

[Infirmary]

It's truly a minor miracle no one has stabbed Braon yet, Reelshka thinks. Unless someone has.

"No, we need to find out why you suffered these pains. It might happen again."

"I doubt you simply imagined these pains, Braon. We just don't see their cause yet."
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Infirmary]

Sakura purses her lips, but refrains from commenting on Braon's remark. Let the doctor take cares of this situation now, she thinks. Besides, getting upset with Braon when she's possibly sick doesn't sound appropriate.
~Images by Soushiyo
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Infirmary]

"...Right." Braon seems to relent, slowly hefting her leg back onto the bed, before doubling over and clutching at her knee, letting out an escalating series of pained moans, growing into shrieks of agony. "Agh! Son of a birch, that forking hurts! Argh! My knee is on fire!"

She holds her hand there for a moment, before calmly lowering her leg back over the side of the bed, giving the trio a deadpan stare. "...Can I go now?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Purple Countess
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: They/she

Post by Purple Countess »

Dantooine until you make a new friend -> Nar Shadda -> Onderon 1 -> Dantooine -> Korriban -> Onderon 2
=
► Previous GitP posts
[Sophie's Office]

"Well..." Zara starts to count as she smiles a little wider. "Zara has been working hard! Caring for the little children, helping Miss Reelshka babysit Bal and Mal... Zara is good at reading kids and making them feel happy!" She says proudly.

Then she pauses and studies Sophie a little, considering something. One quick decision later, and she keeps speaking. "Miss Sophie is probably wondering why Zara spends so much time and energy on others, considering Zara lacks emotional empathy. Well, let big sister say why!"

After the personalities switch, Dahlia is left smiling at Sophie, a little smugly. "Hey, it's Sophie! My friend." She knows Sophie won't agree, and it amuses her a little. She pauses as she listens to something inwardly, then succeeds in not rolling her eyes visibly. "I should probably not antagonize you too much. I am... sorry."

"So, what was it Zara was saying?"
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Lakeside - Arts and Crafts]

Khannie shifts a bit uncomfortably, the idea she had regarding her spell temporarily un-experimented with.

She's a little too distracted at the moment to do spellwork, anyway.

"Well, I mean, Bruce turned INTO the Hulk because of the gamma rays. But the Hulk was already part of him, just something in his own mind. The gamma rays made it an outward thing, too. He already had more than one personality because of..."

There's that uncomfortable look again.

"Because of the terrible way his dad treated him. It was a way to cope with the trauma."

The next question is left unspoken.

Did YOU suffer something traumatic that fractured your psyche?
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fireworks

"No, like... human, girl, aged between twelve and fifteen. I can't smell magic, so I don't know if she was a sorceress. Boys smell different to girls, elves smell different to humans or goblins, and people's smell changes as they get older. Puberty, y'know? Other stuff, too." Puberty changes a lot of things, and one of the things Cheasadh can smell are hormones, though it's not something she feels very comfortable talking about, mostly because she's not experienced enough to know what the smells mean and she doesn't want to be rude. Cheasadh also wouldn't easily be able to identify Jace's scent, though she might be able to notice the similarities between Jace and Khannie she wouldn't be able to identify family from that. Only that they spend time in the same bathroom and kitchen, those being the rooms with the most impact on most people's personal smells.

Cheasadh's also resting her hand on the staff, though she's not realised it yet.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Infirmary]

Earth Queen's mercy, Braon has the self-preservation instinct of a rift-louse.

"Doctor, we'll need more tests. We need to ascertain what happened back there. If we don't find anything physical, it'll be time to start supernatural testing."

[Sophie's Office]

"Don't worry, Dahlia. I'm not upset by what you say." Is this true? By all appearances, it is. But Dahlia is aware by now that Sophie's poker face is nigh-impenetrable. "She was telling me how she's been doing and then she said you'd tell me why she spends time and effort on others, despite her lack of empathy."

[Fireworks]

"Okay!" Tuskfang brightens up, his tail wagging. More fireflies and fireworks. This should be fun.

"So what'd you find there anyway?" Brinika asks.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Infirmary]

Sakura winces at screaming, and afterwards all she can do is look at Braon with a sort of baffled horror. Maybe she should step out. She's not of any help anymore, and this is starting to get to her.
~Images by Soushiyo
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Infirmary]

Well, that backfired. Braon had intended to use that display as evidence that, if she really wanted to, it would be trivial for her to convincingly malinger, creating and subsequently dispelling such an illusion around her knee... and to also less-than-subtly imply that she did that already in front of Sakura, for some reason known only to her.

But apparently, they would have none of it. Braon isn't sure whether to take that as a sign of them being clever enough to see through her ruse or too thick to realize what she meant in the first place. Or potentially both.

"...Fine." Braon lays back on the bed, turning her attention back up to the nurse. "But I'm drawing a hard limit at shoving anything into me. Try it and I'll shove it into you, got it?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Infirmary]

Trying to refrain from shaking her head, Jazzari begins a suite of tests. Blood pressure, blood content, body temperature, and so on. All to find out if Braon's physical state is unusual in any way.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Infirmary]

Sakura finds a place to sit down. She's not worried about her job right now, as there are other caretakers that can pick up the slack.
~Images by Soushiyo
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Morty wrote: Aug 16, 2022 5:12 pm [Infirmary]

Trying to refrain from shaking her head, Jazzari begins a suite of tests. Blood pressure, blood content, body temperature, and so on. All to find out if Braon's physical state is unusual in any way.
Gullara wrote: Aug 16, 2022 5:17 pm [Infirmary]

Sakura finds a place to sit down. She's not worried about her job right now, as there are other caretakers that can pick up the slack.
[Infirmary]

Blood pressure seems... off. It's elevated, perhaps as a result of stress or something more serious, it's too little information to tell. Braon gets predictably fussy about having her temperature taken, until the potential of an infrared contactless thermometer is brought up. She has a mild fever, hovering around 38 degrees centigrade.

Blood content soon proves to be a more difficult test, though. As soon as Jazzari has a needle in sight, Braon's throwing her legs off the other end of the bed. "No. Absolutely not." She grouses, tugging her sleeves down so as to make the veins in her upper arms inaccessible. "I'm fine, you understand? I'm fine. I'm not going to let you stick me because you just absolutely have to see for yourself! I don't owe you that!"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Fireworks

Sirius looks back between the girls talking.
He has very little idea of what they're talking about. He does go over to give the staff a sniff because that's what they're talking about kinda? He has a very good nose.
Still isn't a dog, though.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Infirmary]

"Braon, this is a routine blood test." Jazzari is perplexed. "I've performed them many times. I assure you it's perfectly safe. You have a fever and your blood pressure is up, so we need to know more."

"This might not be something you can just sleep off, Braon," Reelshka adds. "And if it's dangerous to you, it's dangerous for your babies too."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Infirmary]

...That just isn't fair.

Braon releases her sleeves and slowly lowers her arms, offering no further resistance to the blood draw. She turns herself so that she's halfway between Jazzari and Sakura, preemptively wincing at the prospect of the needle. She'll make faces all throughout the test, starting with mild annoyance and working her way up to impatient irritation, covering the draw site with her hand when Jazzari is done.

The test results are at least encouraging. She tests negative for all the major infectious diseases of concern; sphinxpox, kharaa, viral hepatitis, cooties ("Thank Adea"), and so on. No heightened white blood cell count that would indicate any other infection. Blood alcohol content is zero; she's been keeping on that particular wagon. Glucose levels are normal, coagulant panel comes back fine, lipid panel looks normal, no nanites or other inorganic contaminants, et cetera. For once, Braon looks to be right; she's as healthy as a particularly mean-spirited horse, apart from the aforementioned symptoms.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Infirmary]

"It appears she's fine, physically," Jazzari admits. "Except for the fever and blood pressure. But the latter could just be due to stress."

"We'll need a magical test, then," Reelshka decides. Fully expecting Braon to protest again. "My husband could run one, but he's busy. We could ask Sophie. She has some sort of second sight."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Infirmary]

"Folk no."

Right on cue, Braon stands up, once again moving to leave the infirmary, with much more urgency this time. "Bad enough I have to visit that woman as often as I do already and pour out my head to her, now you want her to do magic on me? Forget it! If there's a magic problem, I'll handle it my fecking self!"

That last sentence is yelled back not far from the door. She doesn't seem to be keen on staying in talking this out.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Infirmary]

Sakura positions herself in front of the door as Braon moves towards it. "You can't just leave. What if your babies are in danger? How could you just leave that to chance when there's even the slightest risk?" She implores, her voice forceful.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Infirmary]

"Is your pride really worth the danger? You're just going to expose yourself to who knows what because you don't like her?" Reelshka presses on. Jazzari decides to stay out of it.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Infirmary]

"So my own hand is chance now?" Braon demands, stopping just short of Sakura, a mere pace or two from bowling her over and continuing on her way regardless. "Do you have that little faith in me? Have either of you bottom-sniffing pig-dogs considered the possibility that maybe, just maybe, in matters of magic, I might know what I'm doing? Or am I just some illiterate heathen to you?"

She fixes Sakura with a hard gaze and puts her hands on her hips. "I'm only going to say this once. Get out of the bloody way."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Infirmary]

Sakura glowers at her. "There are people here that want to help you. You should take that offer." She does not budge from her spot.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Infirmary]

Reelshka silently calls on her ancestors for strength as Braon launches another tirade. She's worse than Reelshka's father. With him, his refusal to let anyone help him is machismo, a working-class background and growing up without his own father (who had died in a war). With Braon... probably a lifetime on relying only on herself. Reelshka feels some pity for her, really. Something molded her into the spiteful, angry and immature person she and Sakura now see before them.

"If you think you can handle it yourself, fine. But I'll be there and I'll see what comes of it. You're in our care and our responsibility."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Infirmary]

Braon's posture relaxes ever-so-slightly as Reelshka makes her position known. Well, good. That's one meddlesome caretaker out of the way. At least nominally.

The other, however, does not appear to be as willing to let her just walk away. Well, fine. Braon gave her a chance.

The enchantress gives Sakura a matching scowl and flicks a rude gesture the dryad's way, directing the creation of a tiny, malicious spirit in her clothing. She then steps around Sakura and proceeds to try to exit the infirmary anyway.

The hex placed on Sakura's dress will then make itself known. If Sakura moves to follow or intercept at all, she's going to find her clothing also moves, in perhaps the worst way possible. Undergarments catching and chafing. The hem of her dress bending to get under her feet and making her trip. Fasteners quietly coming undone to cause her public humiliation the next time a stiff breeze rolls through. The fibers lining up in just the right way to imitate a legion of ants crawling on her torso. Simply refusing to come off the next time Sakura needs it to. Whatever is going to cause her the most pain and humiliation, short of actually inflicting potentially lethal harm on her.

That'll teach her to question Braon's magical ability.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Infirmary]

Sakura yelps with discomfort and mild pain. It'll be simply for Braon to walk past her in any case. Sakura's imposition never had much teeth. What was she going to do? Body block a heavily pregnant women, while she herself is pregnant?

"Why is she like this?" Is all Sakura can say after Braon leave. She tugs at her dress in an attempt to alleviate the discomfort.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Infirmary]

"I wish I knew," Reelshka says, giving Braon a baleful look. "I think only Sophie knows. I'll need to talk to her... but for now I need to make sure she actually does try to find out what's going on with her and doesn't try lying to us about it. Which she might do just on principle."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Infirmary => Wormwood Cabin]

That was too close.

Braon wraps a hand around the tooth necklace once she's out of sight, letting out a quiet sigh of relief. Had she permitted Jazzari to do any magical testing, there's no way she, and everyone else in the room, wouldn't have discovered the significance of the relic, and then... well, to say the follow-up questions would be awkward would be something of an understatement. To say nothing of what they would actually do.

"You're not even trying and you still manage to cause problems." Braon grumbles, tucking the tooth under her shirt. Damn demons.

Well, that just leaves the question of how she's going to follow up now. Sakura's not likely to want to continue their tour of the daycare, at least not until that hex wears off in a week or so (provided she isn't as insufferable in private as she is in public), which means she no longer has any real plans for the day.

...Maybe she should just go home. Well... "home". Back to her cabin. Enjoy a little quiet time to herself. Take a nap, watch a movie, cook up something to eat, whatever. If she's got the measure of the staff right, it'll be interrupted anyway by Sophie or Reelshka or maybe even Sakura barging in and demanding to know why she had to be such a bitch. Like it's her fault these people have to be so damn nosy. She'd guess... five, maybe ten minutes. Fifteen if they intend to bring backup. Too soon for any real rest, but maybe she could still manage something.

Which is why, five minutes later, she's standing over a kettle of corn kernels, quietly waiting for them to pop. Might as well put that nervous energy to good use, making herself a snack that requires constant tending to avoid burning.

...Any second now.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Beans
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Beans »

[Wormwood Cabin]
Nefila comes out of her room to see Braon at the stove. For the past half a year or so, after their argument, she's been somewhat withdrawn from her cabin-mate; they've gotten to the level of surface cordiality, but little more.

"Hello, Braon," she says after a heartbeat. "Sujo is down for her nap. It looks to have already been a long day for you." The implied question of how has your day been there is the deepest Nefila's tried to dig into Braon's life in months. Perhaps she's giving it another try.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Really, it's a small miracle Nefila's gotten even that far; "cordial" is not a word often used to describe Braon, even ironically. On most days, an attempt at outreach like that would be met with a vague grunt of acknowledgement, at most.

But today, she actually has something to say about it.

"If you find me feeding flies somewhere, the daycare lady did it." Braon grumbles with a sigh, massaging the space just under her horns with her fingers. "Assuming Sophie doesn't get to me first. Adea's sake, some days I wonder if it would really be much worse if I packed up and left."

pup! Interjects the kettle.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Beans
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Beans »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Nefila steps a little closer. She could say some things like Sakura seems perfectly nice to me or Sophie is quite kind or I have zero problems with any of the people you continually complain about, and they'd be true, but they wouldn't be helpful. "Feeding flies, really? That sounds too quick. They clearly want you alive and annoyed." She exhales softly through her nasal slits, buzzing softly. "I take it visiting the daycare went... interestingly?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Oh-ho. Nefila thinks she's being funny.

...She kind of is, actually. Braon manages a light snort of amusement at her little joke.

"...Actually, the daycare visit itself went just fine." Braon admits, shuffling the kettle. "Miss Frescot seems... reliable. At least for kids. It's everything else that went to shut."

pup! puppapup!

"Like the fact that I probably managed to convince her I'm some kind of sociopath. Or the fact that I had some phantom pains or whatever while I was there and she insisted on taking me to the infirmary."

puppapuppapuppapup

"Oh, and get this. While I was there, they did an ultrasound on me. Turns out one of my boys is already showing signs of being a fiendling. Kid hasn't even breathed yet and he's already damned. Because why the hell would the world stop at just screwing me over?"

PUNPpupa!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,