GLoG

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: GLoG

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"I do trust you, which is why I'm asking you what you've found. Because I do believe you can determine what happened to you." Inside, Sophie's patience is straining. "You're in our care. We can't just wave our hands and hope it doesn't happen again, to you or someone else."
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"Then what the hell am I doing wrong?!" Braon snaps, standing up abruptly. "You know what I wanted to do today? Meet the lady in charge of the daycare. That's it. You'd think that'd be simple, wouldn't you?" She rants. "But no, that little venture has to spiral out into a whole thing with her having me carted off to the infirmary and now you're on my case and..." The fiendling throws up her hands in frustration. "The hell am I supposed to do?"

She collapses back onto the bed, putting a hand over her mouth and shaking her head, eyes squeezed shut in an effort to fight back that wave of nausea that followed from her standing so suddenly. At least, she thinks it's nausea. Something is forcing it's way up her throat, but she can't tell if it's half-digested lunch or an inconvenient sob. Either way, not great.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fireworks Night

"I... think they like the staff. I'm going to keep hold of this, for now. I think it likes me. Uh, can I visit you soon, Khannie? I'd like the staff checked out, just to be safe." And Cheasadh trusts Jace, as the first adult who tried genuinely to help her. She'll pick the staff up and hold it upright, which depending on the staff's length might look a bit silly. And make all the fireflies fall off, which is a slight bonus.

Cheasadh is a gnome, she's fourteen, she's got a bloody past and her current future plans are to swear herself to Hope to try and make up for the bad things she was part of when she was much younger and knew no better. I'm not sure how much the fireflies can discover, even with their antennae. Also not sure how sensitive they are, on beetles.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Sophie was prepared to keep arguing her case, but right now there are other priorities. She stands up as well.

"Do you need me to bring you a bucket?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

There's a moment between the asking and the response as Braon battles with the lump in her throat, eventually succeeding in swallowing it back. "I'm... I'm fine." She croaks, massaging her neck and wincing. "...That wasn't a rhetorical question, incidentally. What exactly am I supposed to do? It always seems like you people want something from me. Always. You have any idea how exhausting that is?" She looks down at her hands, nervously working them together. "...That part's not going to get any easier. I'm sure everyone is going to feel the need to weigh in on how I'm raising my kids."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Purple Countess
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: They/she

Post by Purple Countess »

[Sophie's Office]

"Very well, Mrs Sophie." Dahlia says, taking a deep breath knowing she's about to talk for quite a while. "The last mission I undertook, I played the part of 'Zara ben Haim', a young artsy orphan girl and babysitter-for-hire. The target was terminated efficiently, but his death triggered a dead man's switch our intel didn't account for, which was rare. I tried to escape the burning building, and I was this close to the exit before something - likely a beam - hit me and everything went black."

While there's a hint of pride at a job well done in her words, she otherwise speaks like they're discussing the weather.

"Do you know what happened when I woke up, Mrs Sophie? 6 years gone, my character taken on a life of her own, I'd manifested my talent..." To demonstrate, she stretches her hand up, and then along the ceiling and down the wall, then returns it back to normal. "... and Zara had gotten us a girlfriend. Selective retrograde amnesia, all Zara remembered was her name and false backstory."

Dahlia wrinkles her face in some thought as she looks at her nails, currently painted a light green. It's the colour of their girlfriend's hair. "What I can't explain too well is the current state of affairs between us. I shouldn't be able to have DID, and we had someone tell us we are forever linked... I have a suspicion that this nexus is responsible somehow." She waves her arm around. "Not that I am complaining, it simply fascinates me. What do you think?"

[Lakeside - Arts and Crafts]

"I lack the brain physiology for it." Dahlia cryptically replies as she blows off some dust from the wood carving she's currently working on. "The only thing I've not liked so far is being away from home with the knowledge that I can never return, or the time I've missed when my memories were asleep. Nothing worth getting traumatized about."

Aren't those things that should traumatize people normally, though?
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Sophie's attention is immediately drawn to Braon's last statement. She intends to raise the children herself instead of giving them up for adoption? This is new. But... no, something's not right. Braon keeps changing the subject from her strange attack of pain.

"I don't think today's situation was anyone's fault... at least not initially. Hexing Sakura was over the line." Best to establish that. "Still, we need to find out what happened so it doesn't happen again and you can carry your pregnancy to term, don't we?"

[Sophie's Office]

A lot of new information. Sophie processes it quickly and silently. Some things make more sense now.

"I appreciate this information. I can't really say whether it's really impossible or not. It's outside my scope of expertise. Of course, the Nexus somehow interfering is not out of the question by any means."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"...I told you, I already know what happened." Braon repeats wearily, massaging her cheekbones in an attempt to ease her frustration. "And no, there's no way to prevent it from happening again. No acceptable way, at least. The good news is, apart from being incredibly uncomfortable, it's harmless. My babies are safe." She wraps the blanket back up around her shoulders, finally letting Sophie look in her direction without being confronted by full frontal nudity. "Is that everything?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"So you know what it is, but you don't want me to know." Sophie briefly sounds very tired. "And I'm to take you at your word that it's harmless."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Braon taps a finger to her chin, appearing to give the matter some thought. "...Hm. Seems like a simple enough concept to me." She says after a moment. "I don't see what's giving you so much trouble. I thought you said you trusted me."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Fireworks Night]

"You're an official firefly princess now," Khannie laughs, momentarily distracted from the fireworks as the swarms of beetles begin landing on Cheasadh. "Yeah, you two can come over and visit any time you want. I can let my dad know that you want him to check the staff out."

She's pretty sure her dad can discover the purpose of the staff.

He's WAY better at magic item stuff than she is.

Which makes sense.

Her dad has been doing it a long time.

Longer than she's been alive!

That's a really long time.

"Okay what sort of firework should we do next?" Khannie asks as she begins rummaging through her collection of fireworks. "I've got more ground flowers, and some fountains, and this crazy top thing that spits sparks everywhere. I didn't get any whistlers since they're REALLY loud. No rockets, either, since we don't want to set the forest on fire by accident."

Okay that's just even more confusing.

Khannie is...

Pretty sure she knows what that means.

Maybe?

"So you can't feel traumatized about anything?" is the gist of what she's getting.

Possibly.

That would be pretty handy if someone has to deal with awful stuff all the time. But there's GOT to be a downside to not being able to feel bad. Right?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Fireworks Night

Somewhere, Jace feels really old for no apparent reason.

Sirius' tail thumps on the ground at the firework and he quickly polishes off the rest of his hot-dog.
"Well all of those sound pretty neat. I'd help with my fire but I think it would be a hazard..." Uncontrolled fireballs tend to be a fire hazard, yes.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Fireworks Night]

"The Firefly Princess"
Really does sound quite catchy
Your friends have good taste

A few of the fireflies fly up to Cheasadh's forehead, landing on her there, lining up in a tiara-like shape. The individual beetles all continue to crawl over each other and in her hair as she might expect, but maintain the rough aforementioned shape. Meanwhile, the little heart-shaped amber bead on the staff itself glows softly, putting a little more emphasis on the magical nature of the relic, as would be appropriate in the hands of a mythical princess. The staff also seems to be just the right height for Cheasadh to lean on comfortably, the crook resting behind her and the other end at her feet.

Neat.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"I do trust you to get to the bottom of it. You're a skilled enchantress," Sophie says smoothly. "I'm just surprised you'd hide it. It's not as if I'll use it against you. I'm only acting in your interest and the interest of the camp."

[Fireworks Night]

"I wanna see a fountain!" Tuskfang declares with conviction. Brinika, meanwhile, is more focused on her sister for now. "Are they... trying to make you look like a princess? Weird. The staff must be making them do it."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"Yeah. Sure." Braon doesn't even dignify that one with an eye roll. "A little late to be laying on the flattery. Especially when you were careless enough to let a fucking demon camp out right underneath your nose." She fixes the woman with a hard, borderline murderous glare. "And I'm supposed to trust you enough to look after my children after that? Even I could do a better job than that!"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"And this demon is the reason for your pain." Sophie seems to reach the obvious conclusion. Ignoring Braon's accusation, predictably enough. "What happened? What is the demon's name?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"Nar-" Braon begins, before cutting herself off. "...I shouldn't say." She amends, crossing her arms. "...Fine, then. I suppose you want a confession. It came to me in a dream and taught me how to summon it. Offered me the power needed to take down my enemies in exchange for its freedom. No points for guessing who the intended targets were; I have a list, you're on it, so is everyone else." She cracks her fingers as she continues. "But, as experience has taught me, never give a demon a chance to double-cross you. So I made some preparations, summoned it, and ripped the dastard from its body. And as soon as I can figure out how to disenchant it, its dead."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. 'That was reckless, Braon.' 'You could have gotten someone hurt, Braon.' 'You put your kids at risk, Braon.' Well, I did it for my kids, lady! When that demon first showed up, I nearly died in my sleep. What do you think it would do if it got into a baby's dreams? Nothing pleasant, I can tell you that!" She claps her hands to her sides. "So, fine. Do whatever the hell you want. I'm not apologizing for doing right by my babies."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Well, Braon has certainly covered all the admonishments that come to Sophie's mind. Let's not waste time, then.

"We can save assigning blame for later. Is the demon's name NarTheoLoq?"

Her bright, piercing blue eyes bore into Braon's. It seems she came to a conclusion and the name is familiar to her.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"...So you knew." Braon's brow tightens into a hard line as she glares back at Sophie.

She makes a gesture toward her dress, which immediately flies over her head as Braon raises her arms, letting it fall onto her so that the process of getting dressed would be reduced to tying a quick knot and slipping on a pair of shoes. A similar gesture to the chest at the foot of her bed prompts it to open, which she follows up by putting the petrified bonsai inside, along with going over to her wardrobe and starting the process of tearing open the individual dres boxes, emptying their contents into the chest, which she slams shut afterwards and starts dragging toward the door. A quick gesture toward the cradles see them following her like a row of ducks.

It doesn't take any particular insight to recognize Braon's intent to leave.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Sophie closes her eyes and sighs. By the Prophet. This is another level of taking everything she says in the worst way possible.

"I know that I fought him and drove him off the last time he tried invading someone's dreams here. When you described your experience, I guessed he'd come back. But I didn't know until you said it. Now can you please sit down so we can work together to destroy him for good?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Braon sighs and stops short of the door, turning back to face Sophie, eying her critically. "You didn't do the job then. You didn't do anything to keep him from coming back. I don't think you can do it now." She picks up her tooth-necklace from the inside of her dress, wrapping it around her palm in a quick flourish to show it off. "So I'm delegating that job to the one person I know I can count on for this sort of thing."

Braon hauls open the door and steps out of her room, turning back to give Sophie one last parting shot.

"Myself!"

Slam!

...Well, at least she left her stuff behind. That means she's coming back, right?

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Sophie gets up and follows Braon. She really has no flair for the dramatic at all. It gets downright maddening about her.

"You're right. I couldn't get rid of him for good back then. I was bluffing half of the time. But here's the thing... neither could you. You just bound him and he's straining against you, isn't he? Together we can have better luck than either of us. But also..." Braon isn't likely to be looking at Sophie, but she'll see a golden glow behind her. If she turns around, the therapist is surrounded by an aurora of gold, with a darker tinge near her contour - it resembles a sun in an eclipse. And there's a golden symbol of an eclipse on her forehead. "I'm much stronger than I was back then."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Ugh. Of course Sophie would try to get the last word in. "That's still better than you... managed..."

What on earth is that glow?

Braom turns back around to face Sophie, squinting slightly at her therapist, her gaze flicking over to the solar insignia before going back to Sophie's face. "...I really should have guessed." She grumbles, lowering her hand. "Fine. You want to help? Fine. At least I can be sure you're serious about that part." She holds up the necklace. "We can start in a few weeks, when I'm not tethered to five little bundles of joy, all right? If there's any more risk involved, I don't want to get them caught up in the crossfire."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"That's sensible." She won't add that it's surprisingly sensible. It would be true, but it wouldn't be helpful. "We can discuss it at some later point. Make a proper plan of action. I'll tell the others that your pain was caused by a mishap with your magic and that everything is under control. One more thing, though. What do you think I am? Since it feels as though you recognize the glow."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Braon looks her over another moment, assessing the therapist all over again, before finally nodding and coming to a conclusion. "...Insufferable." She says with a firm nod, as though that was the answer Sophie was looking for and nothing else. "...Now, you should get back to work. I'm not gonna be the only thorn in your butt today."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Sophie shakes her head as the glow around her dims, but she also smiles.

"Good one. And I walked right into it. We'll speak later."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

...Huh.

That was... not the way Braon expected Sophie to take that. She's supposed to be insulted, not amused.

...Well, maybe amused. A few days later when the insult wears off. Maybe this wasn't as far removed from the intended result as she thought.

"...Right. Later." The fiendling confirms, hand on the door. She's... not entirely sure what the appropriate gesture here would be. Slamming it seems a bit too forceful, given Sophie's new degree of amiability. And she can't just leave it open, either...

Awkwardly slow closing, with agonized squeeking from the hinges?

Sure.

Why not.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Purple Countess
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: They/she

Post by Purple Countess »

Morty wrote: Aug 29, 2022 12:47 pm[Sophie's Office]

A lot of new information. Sophie processes it quickly and silently. Some things make more sense now.

"I appreciate this information. I can't really say whether it's really impossible or not. It's outside my scope of expertise. Of course, the Nexus somehow interfering is not out of the question by any means."
[Sophie's Office]

"Mm." Dahlia looks around and nods once. "Now that you know me a little bit more, I am hoping we can be more civil and cordial in the future?" She tilts her head coyly and smiles a little bit more. "No need to prefer Zara to me."

She doesn't actually care, but it could be useful in making Sophie warm up to her a little more. After all, that's the other reason driving them: a good reputation can be a useful thing.
Rebonack wrote: Aug 30, 2022 4:28 pm

Okay that's just even more confusing.

Khannie is...

Pretty sure she knows what that means.

Maybe?

"So you can't feel traumatized about anything?" is the gist of what she's getting.

Possibly.

That would be pretty handy if someone has to deal with awful stuff all the time. But there's GOT to be a downside to not being able to feel bad. Right?

Dahlia just stares back at Khannie as she makes a decision, and then returns to carving her wood as she speaks. "I am reminded of the story of this man I heard of once. A scientist, yes? He discovered he himself was a psychopath while doing research on the psychopath brain, with himself on the control group."

She looks back up at Khannie and grins. "To answer your question: no. Why? Because I am a psychopath. I shouldn't even be able to have DID, yet here we are. Fascinating, yes? Don't worry, you can touch."

No Khannie, that doesn't mean 'crazed killer'.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Sophie's Office]

"I don't prefer Zara to you." Sophie seems to wish to emphasise this point. "It's not my job to have preferences. But it does help me understand you better, which will make things easier for all three of us."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fireworks

"It... is weird, yeah. Pretty, though. And it's not too big, despite formerly being a human's. No offence, Khannie." Not that implying humans are big is offensive, when one is as small as Cheasadh. It's still a little odd, and also quite concerning.

Can you hear me? Or... talk to me? Cheasadh's trying to think at the staff, which she's achieving by looking at it and thinking about it. That might not be enough for it to hear her, even if it can communicate telepathically.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.