GLoG

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: GLoG

Post by Rebonack »

[A Good Talk]

"Yeah..." Khannie replies somewhat noncommittally.

So which one is it?

Does she feel okay despite being a pokemon? Or has she just gotten better at coping with it? If she were totally okay then why does she react like she does if something reminds her too hard of what she is? She reacted with revulsion so intense that it left her feeling burnt out afterwards. And now she just feels... nothing. Blegh. Like all her emotions came pouring out and there's nothing left except smothering grey.

Obviously that isn't how people are supposed to feel when they're okay with something.

SHOULD she feel okay with it? And just accept that's part of who and what she is?

Or should she fight against it? There are DEFINITELY ways to get turned into a REAL human. The sort that don't involve deals with ethically dubious catfoxbuns. But if she does that will it really make her happy? Or is that just covering up the trauma that she experienced that made her hate being a pokemon to begin with?

Khannie takes a deep breath. "When I was really little. Like... REALLY little. I got stolen away from my dad. Just a little bit after I was born."
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

Morty wrote: Apr 29, 2023 6:44 pm [Demon Slaying]

"...I try not to think about it this way." Sophie sighs, lowering her hammer. The glow around her isn't subsiding yet. "I can't let myself be satisfied by killing someone. Now more than ever, after I was Exalted. But that's just another way in which we're different people, isn't it."
[Demon Slaying]

"...I kinda want to press on that point, buuuuut..." Braon glances over at the tooth and backs up a step. If Sophie were to let herself be gratified by killing someone, Braon would probably find her own name near the top of the list. Sophie has to have at least fantasized about it before, right?

"...Well, regardless." The fiendling dusts her hands off like she did something in the previous encounter. "I think that concludes our business here for now. And I've got five hungry babies waiting for me back in the cabin, so I should get going." She turns to go before holding up a finger, remembering something important. "Oh, and if you decide to stop by, be sure to knock."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Demon Slaying]

"No fear of that. Though we really do need to make sure our kids meet each other someday," Sophie muses. "Bye for now. I'll wait here until I stop glowing."

[A Good Talk]

"Hmm. If you feel okay with it, can you tell me more? Who took you and why?"

For now, Sophie will simply prompt and encourage Khannie to open up.

[Arrivals]

"I haven't seen my parents since I ended up here." Sophie sighs. She misses them. No doubt they think she's dead. "They'd have a long list of things to get used to. I'm alive, married to a tiefling woman, have two tiefling sons..."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Arrivals

"My parents died decades ago. I have used magic to extend my life." By managing to transform into a younger version of himself. "My grandfather is still alive, but I am working on it. He sold his soul to live forever, but without a soul the entity he bargained with was able to usurp control of his body. Father sealed him into a tomb." Where he remains, unable to die. Or at least die easily.
"I don't want to know my parents. Or my siblings, or anyone else from my... birthplace. It was never a home. I'm sorry about your family, but you have good memories, yes? And a new family now." Libertine's very glad her own family is behind her.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Good Talk]

"Yeah, I think so," Khannie replies after taking some time to think of how best to describe this. "So I was taken to the pokemon world by a... a god I guess. Called Giratina. See, every now and again people will come from the human world to the pokemon world and they're always these legendary heroes. Giratina knew that some villains were siphoning off its power to do bad stuff and it would need a hero to stop them."

Her eyes flick to the floor.

"That was... my dad. And his friends. They stopped them. I helped a little, I guess. But I was taken to be kind of a... link, I guess? So when the chance came Girantina could pull my dad and his party through. I always knew I didn't belong in the pokemon world, Sophie. I knew it. Everyone could tell I was from the human world but I wasn't any hero. I tried! But I was just a tiny kid."

Khannie raises her gaze again, tears misting her eyes.

"I was there for the first six years of my life. Knowing I was stolen because of-"

Her expression twists into one of bitter, scarcely contained malice.

"-stupid pokemon stuff."

She hugs her arms around herself.

"I hated them, Sophie. I hated pokemon. And I hated myself for being one."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Arrivals]

Sophie listens to Benedict's recount with mixed feelings. That's some story alright. But also not really her business. It's difficult for her not to poke her nose into it, but she manages.

"I'm familiar with the sentiment. No one is obligated to keep their ties to families who don't warrant it. We make do with what you've got. And you've found your own family as well."

[A Good Talk]

It's definitely not beneficial for a child to be subject to something this strange at such a young age. Couldn't Giratina have found some way to accomplish her goal without traumatizing Khannie?

"So you've come to associate being a Pokemon, and Pokemon in general, with being torn away from your father. I can see why you feel this way. But now you live with your father and you're safe. Does your still remind you of what happened back then? Making it harder to move on and enjoy your life as it is now?"
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Arrivals

Benedict doesn't want Sophie to poke her nose into it on some level- it's private, family business. On another level, he's worried and scared that he can't do it on his own, and he'd welcome offers to help... if he thought the person on the other end was actually capable of that. So far, that's not really Sophie, but she might have been able to suggest someone he could have approached.

"More like he found me. I... wasn't in a position to do much looking." The inside of a cage. She doesn't want to mention that, however; partly because Benedict's asked her not to, and GLoG disagrees with slavery, and partly because she does genuinely care for him and wants the best for her son- which includes being able to protect him if necessary, with the only magic she's got aptitude for. That magic isn't healthy for developing lungs, given its affinity with pollution.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Good Talk]

Probably.

But this is an entity known for using violence to accomplish its goals. It likely didn't even occur to it that violently tearing a child away from her family would have a negative impact on said child. If it DID then such a thought probably would have been deemed irrelevant. Evil inhuman beings are generally pretty unlikely to care about the harm their actions may cause to others.

Khannie nods to Sophie's statement. "Yeah, I guess. Probably. I can use my illusions to make myself look and feeling human and everything. But then something'll happen that reminds me that it's all just a trick and I remember the feeling of being all alone. There were adults and friends and things at the village but it just wasn't the same. I knew I was missing my dad. And I thought... maybe if I was human then that hurt would go away."

She gives Sophie a pleading look. Pain, confusion, and some measure of hope.

"This isn't all just me being dumb, is it? Am I being stupid about this?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Arrivals]

The unspoken words tug at Sophie's senses. She's always been good at telling when someone isn't telling her something. As a Solar, this sense is superhuman. Reading people like an open book. Let's see...

"Was your family restrictive on this subject?" Turning to Benedict, she adds: "Forgive me for prying, but I'm curious. The task of setting your grandfather to rest sounds like a daunting one. I know enough about the occult to realize that you're dealing with major-league powers."

[A Good Talk]

"You are not." This is something Sophie needs to hammer home, as a necessary basis for all further work. "Your feelings are natural. You've been through a lot and you're still dealing with the effects. You're allowed to feel sad, angry or conflicted." Her tone is gentle but firm. Like what she's saying is an obvious, unquestionable truth. "I see two paths forward right now. Either you can try to become comfortable with your species or turn yourself into a human for good. The current situation where you use illusions but become distraught when something pierces them is obviously untenable. Of course, there may be other solutions that I'm not seeing yet."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Arrivals

"Not my family, but... the people I was with. Mergei, too. He saved us, and sure he had ulterior motives, but he still saved us, and let us choose." Which is true; he might have bought Libertine as a slave, but she chose to stay with him, and to marry him, and she genuinely cares for him. If he cares for her is... slightly trickier. Benedict's emotions aren't the usual.

"It is. I don't have the power alone, my practice is broader than it is deep. I thought, when I was younger, it would help me find the tool to deal with my grandfather. Instead, I have found several potential methods, but lack the power to try any of them with no way of knowing if any would work. Eventually I decided to leave him in the tomb, deciding opening it would be riskier with my lack of certainty than knowing he'd be sealed for the rest of my life, and not willing to trust my hands to keep the symbols steady. Now I am forty years younger than when I made that choice, physically at least, and I have a child who will have to worry in my stead. It's been a century since father shut the tomb, and I know it's only a matter of time before the wards fail. I have breached enough in my youth seeking treasure and knowledge to know that first-hand." Benedict looks like he's in his twenties, though apparently he's actually in his sixties.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Good Talk]

Khannie nods back at the assurance.

It probably isn't a great idea to call herself or her feelings dumb. That really doesn't help her any, right? But it comes pretty naturally sometimes. Maybe she just needs to get better at being aware of when she's doing it?

At Sophie's suggestion Khannie gives a little nod again. "It's... I dunno... Disguising myself with illusions kinda comes natural to the sorta pokemon I am. And my illusions are so good it FEELS real. Sometimes I almost forget that I'm not human. It's like one of those doofy games where you're trying to forget that you're playing. But instead of some dumb game I feel rotten when I remember too hard."

She takes a deep breath and allows the illusion to peel off herself. It certainly looks interesting. Like all the color drains from her until there's just a girl-shaped mass of black that slithers away into the dark corners like rivulets of watercolor.

Leaving the fox-pokemon under it.

Khannie awkwardly fiddles with her absurd giant poofy ponytail with her paws. She looks visibly uncomfortable. Like someone being caught out in the open doing something they shouldn't. It takes a few moments, but she manages to meet Sophie's eye and gives a goofy looking foxy smile. She's well aware that smiling like a human would when she isn't disguised looks like she's being threatening. Instead she just quirks up the corners of her mouth and lulls her tongue out a little.

Then she gives a groan and buries her face in her hands.

"I dunno know. I dunno know what to do. Even before my wish got broken I would still feel awful when stuff reminded me of getting stolen. I thought being a real human would fix it, but it didn't," she mumbles into her paws. The body dysphoria is a symptom of a deeper trauma, unfortunately.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Arrivals]

Forty years younger... hmm. De-aging magic, most likely. Benedict is quite the character, isn't he? Sophie doesn't find him trustworthy. But the concern of his grandfather getting out is real enough. And Libertine's gratitude is genuine.

"I see what you mean. I might be able to find someone who can help you put him to rest." Would she be able to do it herself? Hard to say. "I've got a rather eclectic network of contacts."

[A Good Talk]

Sophie takes a good look at Khannie's Pokemon shape. She's not very familiar with it, since Khannie usually keeps her illusion on and Sophie doesn't look beneath it.

"You still carry the trauma of your kidnapping and separation from your father. It needs to be addressed regardless of what is done about your body. If you're able to process it and move on from it, maybe the right course of action will be clearer. That experience is a wound in your life that needs to heal."
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

[Birb Babysitting]

Phoenix Lake Campgrounds, past it's front carparked entrance at least, was a rather pretty place. A pair of golden eyes took in the scenery, wandering over trees and mountains. All in all, it seemed like quite the lovely location to be starting a new job. The eyes belonged to a birdgirl- though of a much more plain, rather less fiery bird variety than the Camp's namesake. Kestrel's clothes didn't exactly help her stand out either- this girl was all browns and greens, asides from a yellow scarf that complimented her eyes. What did make her stand out, however, was the squirming wolf cub in her arms.

"Now now, Silver, don't give me that look! I need you to behave yourself, okay! No barking and definitely no biting. Got it!?" There was a pause, as her chastising inevitably melts into adoring cooing. "Of course you will, won't you? You're a good boy, after a- hey! Ow! No scratching either!" Silver was not a mean-spirited pup, but his definition of play differed from Kestrel's somewhat. She was a little worried about getting him to behave in a big open space like this, with different people coming and going. He'd be fine with the kids of course, the cub always seeming to realize he needed to be gentler around them- and she wouldn't bring him here otherwise.

She rubbed her hand with a slight wince, although it didn't seem to shake her smile. First proper day on the job, and she was looking forwards to it. Although she couldn't quite remember where she was supposed to head to to start...
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Good Talk]

There was a bit of time where Khannie would have to drop her girl illusion if she was wanting to weave more elaborate external illusions, but she's been getting quite a bit better at multitasking. The only time she's reliably not disguising herself is when she's asleep.

"Yeah... that's kinda what I figured," Khannie replies morosely. "I thought maybe being human would make it better but I guess that wasn't the real problem. How does a hurt like this heal, though? I can't just put a bandage on it. Or drink a potion or whatever. This hurt... my feelings?"

She really isn't sure how to even begin describing how the trauma has harmed her.

"What have I gotta do to get better?"
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Arrivals

Benedict is not trustworthy. He's ambitious, ruthless, and sociopathic, who places little to no value on the lives, well-being or health of others. He does, however, genuinely care for Donatien and his wives, and his desire to build a legacy ensures he will try very hard to protect them.

"I would appreciate that. Somebody who is not... squeamish might be a good idea. My family have been delving into magic for a very long time, and some of the defences they've instituted remain in place. Including a large number of undead guards and servants." Given his grandfather decided it was entirely reasonable to try and deal with something he shouldn't to get immortality, the skeletal horses pulling the coach he arrived in, and the hulking coachman with a brass plate bolted over his face might have provided clues to that already.

Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Good Talk]

"Well... it won't be easy, I'm afraid. But you've taken the first step, and that counts." Sophie needs to be realistic but reassuring here. "You need to understand how your experience affects you and learn how to put it behind you."

[Arrivals]

"I'll see what I can do. I am, of course, newly busy." She points to her twin boys. "But your grandfather seems to be a public concern."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Arrivals

"I refresh his wards weekly, have done for decades now. Should nothing unforeseen occur, they shall hold. The issue, of course, is the unforeseen. If I die, at the moment there is nobody in the family who could adequately maintain them. Libby's abilities are still too transient to effect a lasting change like that required for wards, and Mergei's native abilities are not suitable for this, and interfere with my efforts to instruct her in magic besides. At standard rates of degradation, without my efforts the tomb shall cease to be secure within eighteen months." Which isn't really that long, in the grand scheme of things. Though that would be eighteen months after Benedict's death, most likely, or a similar catastrophe that either disables him long-term or outright breaches the tomb immediately.

Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Miranda's Cabin]

After the formal adoption process, things have gone smoothly for Miranda and Alto, at least as far as things in GLoG are concerned. Alto has been sunnier than usual, almost happy, even, and integrated better with rest of the kids. Freakouts of the Spooktober season have not repeated themselves and are becoming an increasingly distant memory.

But, one night, Miranda might notice Alto whimpering and struggling to fall asleep. The reason is not the same as before - Alto is not mourning or plagued by bad memories. Instead, the big creature is simply in pain. Alto's skin is visibly flaking, and if Miranda checks, the creature also has a noticeable fever.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Miranda's Cabin]

For her part, formally adopting Alto seems to have done Miranda a world of good, too. Her actual routine hasn't changed much, since she's already been handling the day-to-day needs of the gorilla-child, so she doesn't suddenly find herself confronted with all that much extra responsibility or accompanying energy drain. Rather, she seems to have gotten more confident, now that she doesn't have to worry so much about being a babysitter instead of a parent. She's been more open to spending time with Alto, more direct in guiding him in their various activities, and even more physically affectionate, to a degree that's probably going to start being embarrassing in a few years. It also seems to have done something with the curse she's carrying, too; that malicious first glance tends to be quickly scrubbed away when she's busily fussing dirt off Alto's cheek.

Of course, the first time he gets noticeably sick is going to present... something of a change of pace.

"Hey, buddy. You okay?" Miranda asks huskily, holding the back of her hand against her son's forehead almost instinctively. "You're burning up... that's not good..."

Miranda does have medical training, of course. That's pretty standard for all ARC personnel. But now that the situation's unfolding in front of her, she's starting to realize just how little it prepared her for this. Her first aid training made the tacit assumption that every injured person she'd encounter would be human, which she couldn't be sure applied to Alto, exactly. It also only included care for trauma and common diseases, which she couldn't be sure was the case here, either. And it came with a stern warning not to use standard medigel on people she suspects might have been modified; the way it works could cause the body to reject the modifications, potentially killing whomever she was trying to save. And from what she gathered, if Alto did qualify as human, he'd be about as modified a human as one could get.

This is beyond her expertise. She'll need to call in someone to help.

"Hold on just a minute. I need to make a call." Miranda gives Alto a little peck on the forehead and steps back, pulling out her communicator and quickly scrolling through her contacts until she finds the one she's looking for.

"...Hello?"

"Doctor Bu. I need help. My son's sick and I don't think I know how to treat him."

"...Your what? When did... okay, um... let me just pull up some of my texts here. And, um... Congratulations?

...Is he, um... cute kid?"

"Very. He's a great big sweetheart."

"Aw... okay, here we go. I'll just need to start with some basic information. Length and weight?"

"Um... we didn't... actually measure him." Miranda fidgets. "I'd estimate maybe two and a half meters and two hundred thirty kilograms. Give or take."

"...I'm sorry, I don't think I heard you right. Could you repeat that?"

"Two and a half meters, two hundred and thirty kilograms." Miranda pauses for a moment before adding, "He's adopted."

"...예수 그리스도..."

"Doctor Bu. I need you to focus."

"...Right. Sorry. What does your, um... son actually look like?"

"A bit like a gorilla. Kind of pale, big eyes. We think he might have been human, or like a human, at one point. It's kind of a long story."

"...Right. Okay. So he's probably at least a primate, potentially still a hominid. Okay. What symptoms does he have?"

"He's got a fever, his skin is flaking, and I think he's in pain."

"Any idea where?"

"I'll ask." Miranda sits down next to Alto. "Where does it hurt, big guy?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Meowmai wrote: May 06, 2023 6:11 am [Birb Babysitting]

Phoenix Lake Campgrounds, past it's front carparked entrance at least, was a rather pretty place. A pair of golden eyes took in the scenery, wandering over trees and mountains. All in all, it seemed like quite the lovely location to be starting a new job. The eyes belonged to a birdgirl- though of a much more plain, rather less fiery bird variety than the Camp's namesake. Kestrel's clothes didn't exactly help her stand out either- this girl was all browns and greens, asides from a yellow scarf that complimented her eyes. What did make her stand out, however, was the squirming wolf cub in her arms.

"Now now, Silver, don't give me that look! I need you to behave yourself, okay! No barking and definitely no biting. Got it!?" There was a pause, as her chastising inevitably melts into adoring cooing. "Of course you will, won't you? You're a good boy, after a- hey! Ow! No scratching either!" Silver was not a mean-spirited pup, but his definition of play differed from Kestrel's somewhat. She was a little worried about getting him to behave in a big open space like this, with different people coming and going. He'd be fine with the kids of course, the cub always seeming to realize he needed to be gentler around them- and she wouldn't bring him here otherwise.

She rubbed her hand with a slight wince, although it didn't seem to shake her smile. First proper day on the job, and she was looking forwards to it. Although she couldn't quite remember where she was supposed to head to to start...
[Birb Babysitting]

That is a slightly difficult question. Her instructions were to go to 'Sapling Cabin' whens he arrived, but at a glance the array of wooden buildings might be hard to tell apart. She can hear the chatter of voices a ways off, maybe toward the lake? Though she'd have to trek across the whole camp to get there. One of those buildings is larger than the others. Maybe that's somewhere important?

Though while she considers this, another option presents itself. Two girls walk into the open space amidst the main cluster of buildings, which the road Kes followed lead her to. At a glance they must be sisters. They share the same red skin, lightly curled horns, and tails. In fact, the longer Kes looks the more it's apparent that if they weren't dressed differently and their hair weren't styled different she might not be able to tell them apart at all.

Currently they two are walking across the space, talking to each other too quietly for Kes to hear at this distance, and carrying armfuls of fist sized stones. They don't show much regard for how this is dirtying their clothes. They're not moving closer to Kes, just crossing the space perpendicular in front of her.

Seeing as she's here to supervise kids, then kids might know where she needs to go, right?
~Images by Soushiyo
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Miranda's Cabin]

"Uuuuu... it hurts... it hurts everywhere...", Alto whines, now that it's obvious Miranda's awake and there's no point in pretending to be quiet. "Bones, ache. Muscles, ache. It comes and goes... uuuu... " As far Miranda knows, Alto has suffered no physical trauma that could have caused this. The cause is, very likely, internal. Disease is possibility, but it's impossible to say what kind. So far, Alto has been largely immune to infections that commonly spread among children.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Miranda's Cabin]

"Everywhere. It hurts everywhere." Miranda relays.

"Okay, okay... so, a fever suggests infection. There's a pathogen in his body and his immune system's trying to cook it out. Cramps in the muscles suggest... mineral or electrolye imbalance, maybe. Bones are more concerning, but not unheard of. At a glance, I'd say maybe a severe vitamin deficiency, leading to a compromised immune system, which would be consistent with a change of environment and diet, but I'd think you'd notice sooner if that were the case.

In any case, this seems serious enough that I'm not going to just hand you a diagnosis over the phone and call it good. Riftline can have me there in fifteen minutes. Let me know if there are any developments."

"Will do." Miranda switches off the communicator and sits next to Alto, rubbing his arm soothingly. "It's gonna be okay, Alto. Help's on the way."
Last edited by Ironsmith on May 08, 2023 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Miranda's Cabin]

Alto simply whimpers in response. The creature is shaking slightly, as if suffering from minor convulsions. As they wait, Miranda might notice something as she rubs Alto's arm: the flaking skin peels off very easily with touch and turns into fine dust, almost like ash. Every rubbing motion reveals fresh skin underneath, which then rapidly dries and turns just as brittle. It's as if the rate at which Alto's skin renews itself has skyrocketed all of a sudden.

By the time Eun gets there, the area around Alto is covered in fine layer of dust. It's like someone spilled a bag of flour in the room. Alto must've lost at least half a kilo of mass in just quarter of an hour.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Miranda's Cabin]

As soon as it becomes apparent that Miranda's affections are accelerating the shedding skin, she discontinues them, electing to simply sit next to Alto and whisper reassurances to him instead. Despite her efforts to maintain a calm and comforting presence, Alto might pick up on a certain unease underneath... he's sick and there's little she can do besides be there and call the doctor.

Who, fortunately, arrives about ten minutes after Miranda gets off the phone. Eun arrives at the door out of breath, massaging her sternum and greeting her old boss with a little nod. Alto won't have seen Eun in person before, but Miranda's shown him pictures; enough that he should be able to recognize the whispily-built, dark-haired woman in a labcoat and scrubs. As she comes in, she busies herself changing out her gloves, removing the sweaty nitrile and replacing it with a fresh set.

"O... okay." Eun pants as she approaches Alto. "You, um... you must be my patient. You're bigger than I realized..."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Miranda's Cabin]

Alto would look even bigger, if Alto wasn't curled up in a big whimpering white ball. Alto peeks out only a little to look at Eun with teary eyes. "And y-you a-are small... smaller...", Alto notes. Eun might realize Alto is not crying out of pain, not exactly. Rather, the eyes are watery to wash away Alto's own, flaking skin. Alto's pupils vibrate slightly, suggesting the micro-convulsions extend to ocular musculature. Alto might have a hard time seeing Eun properly at the moment. Of course, Eun might miss such details due to Alto's eyes looking like they belong to a cat or a fox rather than a hominid.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Good Talk]

"Yeah, I guess..." Khannie admits.

She has no idea how to do those things.

But figuring out that sort of stuff is kinda Sophie's job, isn't it?

Khannie is silent for a time, but then a random thought occurs to you.

"Hey Sophie? How come you were glowing and stuff when we helped Braon?"

She hadn't really thought THAT much about it at the time. More important things were going on. But after the fact it was a little weird. She hadn't ever seen Sophie do something like that before. Is she secretly a super hero or something?
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Good Talk]

Sophie's immediate instinct is to lie or deflect. She tries to keep her nature as a Solar discreet. And it would be easy enough to get Khannie to believe something else. But no, she doesn't want to reward Khannie's bravery in helping Braon with deceit.

"Can I count on you to be discreet if I tell you?" she asks instead. "It's not a secret as such, but I try to keep it discreet."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Good Talk]

Trust is an important part of any relationship, professional or otherwise.

Khannie nods in reply.

"Yeah I know about secret identities and stuff. You can count on me."

The teen's involvement in the cape scene definitely makes her a bit more trustworthy in this regard than your average youth. She knows why secrets like these are important! If the bad guys knew then they might target the people you care about! That's why it's important not to have love interests that are associated with your super-identity!

Cough cough superman cough cough.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Hraithre wrote: May 08, 2023 7:45 pm [Miranda's Cabin]

Alto would look even bigger, if Alto wasn't curled up in a big whimpering white ball. Alto peeks out only a little to look at Eun with teary eyes. "And y-you a-are small... smaller...", Alto notes. Eun might realize Alto is not crying out of pain, not exactly. Rather, the eyes are watery to wash away Alto's own, flaking skin. Alto's pupils vibrate slightly, suggesting the micro-convulsions extend to ocular musculature. Alto might have a hard time seeing Eun properly at the moment. Of course, Eun might miss such details due to Alto's eyes looking like they belong to a cat or a fox rather than a hominid.
[Miranda's Cabin]

Eun does her best to hide the resulting grimace. A disintegrating albino gorilla with predator eyes just... looks all sorts of wrong.

...Right. She still has work to do.

"Okay, um..." Eun kneels next to Alto, setting down her hotbox and clicking it open, producing a number of medical tools, most of which would be too advanced for a modern bystander, let alone Alto, to recognize. "...I'm going to need to draw a little blood." She begins. "It shouldn't hurt. The needle goes right around your epidermal tissue and gathers blood via a form of controlled osmosis. You'll feel a little itching, like a misquito bit you, but that will be it."

Miranda stands at Alto's other side and gives his hand a gentle squeeze. If the gorilla-child turns out to be as afraid of needles as he is everything else, she'd like to provide a distraction from the procedure.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Miranda's Cabin]

"What's a mosquito?", Alto asks. Due to time of year, Alto's yet to have much experience with those. The creature twitches a little as Khafir draws blood. "Ow." The blood is of unusually dark color, suggesting some chemical reaction with hemoglobin - but then Miranda could tell Alto's blood has been like that from the start, and it hasn't caused any trouble so far.