GLoG

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: GLoG

Post by Morty »

[Demon-Slaying]

"I will lay down a circle around us before I try to destroy him." Sophie puts the amulet on a large rock at the edge of the campsite. "If he gets loose, it will at least make it difficult for him to escape. And then I'll shoot him. He should at least end up wounded enough not to try anything stupid for a while." She concentrates and a golden light gathers about her, coalescing into armor. Strangely enough it doesn't look like steel armor of a hero or warrior; it looks far more like the body armor of a modern soldier or police officer. A testament of the world Sophie comes from.

[Arrivals]

"Yes, indeed. These are Janos and Bertin, my sons. Their other mom is also a tiefling. Say hello, boys." One of the babies makes a noise that may or may not be a greeting. The other one is preoccupied staring at a fly that's buzzing nearby. "My name is Sophie Mouchabière. I'm the resident therapist here. It's convenient for my children to be taken care of where I work."
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Demon-Slaying]

"And if that doesn't work, you want me to put him back in the tooth." Braon finishes, arms crossed. "Because I can't imagine leaving a demon, even a wounded demon, on GLoG's grounds for any length of time is compatible with your position here as a member of staff. Am I right?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Demon-Slaying]

"Only if we have no other alternative." Sophie hefts the hammer in her hands. "It might be our last resort if I can't kill him or chase him off. But if he was completely invincible, he wouldn't be sneaking into people's dreams and he wouldn't have run from me when I last met him."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Demon-Slaying]

"I suppose the fact that he's scared of you is a good sign vis-a-vis us kicking his ass." Braon agrees with a nod. "...But essentially, what you're telling me is that, unless things get really bad, you want me to just stand back and watch." The fiendling scratches under her chin. "That brings up what you therapists call 'mixed feelings'. I mean, I get it, I've already done a lot to neuter this guy, and if I could kill him outright you can be sure I would have. There's not much more I can do. But handing him off to you to deal with... something about that doesn't sit right."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Arrivals

"A two-faced god of the Latins, associated with transitions, doorways and time and the preacher who converted the Morini tribe of Belgic Gauls. An interesting combination." And possibly a mistaken one, if Janos is named after the Hungarian variant of John and not Janus.
"Well, it is a pleasure to meet them, anyway. And you. Hopefully we'll be getting to know you much better, won't we honey?" Libertine directs that to her husband, in a rather pointed way to stop showing off his own learning.
"Yes, of course. A therapist must always be busy, I suppose. I must admit, I do not understand much of the field." Benedict doesn't like admitting things he doesn't know, but therapy and psychology aren't developed fields where he's from and he's always been distracted learning magic.

Oh, another thing- Benedict's accent is similar to Natalie's, or similar to what Natalie's was before she started spending so much time in GLoG.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Demon-Slaying]

"Why doesn't it feel right? You did deliver him to a place where I'll hopefully smash him with a hammer." Sophie pauses as she asks Braon that. Seems like it might be best to wait. "Is it your discomfort with accepting help speaking? Or do you want payback against him?"

[Arrivals]

Looks like Benedict is from some version of Earth as well. Sophie runs into a fair few of such people.

"Bertin is just a name from back home that I like. You'd have to ask my wife why she chose Janos. I don't remember if she told me. I am quite busy here, though, yes. My wife works from home to look after our boys. But having a daycare is very helpful. Especially since they can make friends here."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Demon-Slaying]

"...You've really got to stop doing that thing where you know me so well." Braon gives Sophie a wry little smirk, before her expression turns back to one of vague frustration. "Yeah. Yeah, I'd really like to be the reason he isn't around anymore. I gathered he's the reason I haven't been able to sleep these past few months, and... I mean, he's just the worst. Taking that hammer and just..." She makes a swinging motion with her fist, letting out a grunt of effort as she does. "...is going to be really satisfying. It's going to suck, only being able to see it."

"And..." Braon sighs and brushes her hair back behind her horns. "Yeah. If I'm not the one to do it, but it makes my life just a little bit better, it... feels a bit unearned, you know? I just... well, you get it. You know how I feel about charity and such."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Arrivals

"Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I'll keep that in mind if I have twins." Though it does depend on which wife he goes for. Donatien was named in reference to his mother, after a famous libertine. "I am, fortunately, sat upon a family fortune, primarily in solid assets. I was not able to bring my investments with me when I fled my homeland. I have sold a few, if they are... not dangerous. My family has long collected magical artefacts and learning." Which might be useful, if Sophie ever looks for a tutor or a specific magical item.
"Stop boasting, Bennie. Sophie doesn't want to know about your family history, she just wants to get her little ones settled with our little one and go back to what she was doing before. Yes?" Libertine smiles at Sophie and tilts her head to one side, sure she's right. Given her pure white eyes, it's probably quite disconcerting.

Morty

Post by Morty »

[Demon-Slaying]

"No can do, I'm afraid. It was already my job and then the Unconquered Sun went and made me way too good at it." Sophie shakes her head in mock frustration. "But does it really have to be 'earned'? Look at it this way - people having your back mean you're stronger than NarTheoLoq. Monsters like him can rely on no one. And that's why he'll die."

[Arrivals]

"I do have work to do, but I don't mind chatting to my fellow new parents. Unless this isn't your first child. But either way it's possible our kids will play together." Sophie looks down at the two tiefling infants. "I'm afraid I come from far more humble means, though."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Arrivals

"Yes, Donatien is our first child. Hopefully not our last; I was an only child, and it was a lonely one, just myself and my mothers. And the servants, of course, but none of them were very good playmates." A few other relatives also hang around his home, although mostly because they've been bound in some manner to prevent them causing trouble for the family. Of course, the reference to 'mothers' might attract Sophie's attention as well.
"I had older siblings, but... they weren't like me. All pure human. Father didn't trust me, and Mother wasn't around very much. I'm going to try being a better parent than they were, but... I don't have any examples to work with. Just a list of what not to do." Which is often a step in the right direction, though Libby's quite worried it's not enough.

Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Morty wrote: Apr 22, 2023 8:00 pm [Demon-Slaying]

"No can do, I'm afraid. It was already my job and then the Unconquered Sun went and made me way too good at it." Sophie shakes her head in mock frustration. "But does it really have to be 'earned'? Look at it this way - people having your back mean you're stronger than NarTheoLoq. Monsters like him can rely on no one. And that's why he'll die."
[Demon-Slaying]

"...I'm not sure I can get behind that." Braon mumbles darkly. "Not so long ago, that was me. All alone and unable to rely on anyone. Does that mean I should have died?" Her voice is shaking, in that familiar just-barely-avoiding-accusations sort of way. "And I didn't earn the backing I have, either. So... no, I don't think so."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Demon-Slaying]

"No, that... came out wrong." It's rare for Sophie to admit this. She sighs. "You were never like him. But if you remember what it was like being unable to rely on anyone, don't you feel changing that is an improvement? And why don't you think you've 'earned' my help?"

[Arrivals]

Sophie does notice the mention of mothers, plural, but something Libertine said draws her attention more.

"I'm familiar with this kind of situation. If you want, there are people working here who can help you out. Give some advice on parenting. I'm of course as fresh as you are, but... I've worked with people in similar circumstances."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Demon-Slaying]

"Why would I think I have? Look at our encounters up until now." Braon holds out her fingers, enumerating them. "Disparaged you, disparaged you, horny-hated you, disparaged you, questioned your parentage, insulted you, confirmed heritage to involve an animal of some sort, horny-hate, horny-hate, saved my life, disparaged you again anyway... I mean, clearly I've done everything in my power to make sure we're the best of friends."

Braon sighs and shakes her head. "I mean... you aren't wrong. It feels damn good to have someone in my corner. But that's... on you, really. I'm not suddenly a new, more trusting and amiable Braon, you're just stepping in to help a messed-up soith get her life together after one too many close shaves."

"Don't get me wrong; I'm still absolutely still going to help murder this son of a bitch." She adds, arms crossed. "But I want to be clear on why I'm doing it. It's not because he can't make any friends. It's because he's an active threat to everyone here, including my babies."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Arrivals

"Oh, that would be wonderful! Can we, Bennie?" Libertine's really excited over the idea.
"I... suppose, yes, it can't hurt. My father mostly left the job to my mothers, and... I was planning to do the same, but... that was before I met Donatien. We can arrange your magic lessons around it." Benedict smiles as Libertine squeals and goes over to give him a kiss. The baby gurgles a little as she moves a little rapidly and he's spun around, but he chuckles afterwards.

Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[A Good Talk]

Today had been rough.

Since her wish got shattered Khannie has mostly been managing to keep her head above water with respect to how she feels about herself. About her body. About what she is. But today something happened that left her feeling shaken and despondent. She wanted to cry. She wanted to scream. She wanted her heart to race and pound as she vents her feelings.

But this stupid ghost-type body is so still.

It makes everything feel bottled up. Like she'll just explode at any moment because she can't let anything out.

So...

Maybe.

Maybe if she talks to Sophie about it that'll help let it out? Sophie's good at talking to people. That much Khannie knows.

Tentatively, hesitantly, she knocks on the door to Sophie's office. She's wearing her teen girl illusion, but it looks... strained. Thin. Like too little butter spread across too much toast.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Demon-Slaying]

Wait... horny-hate? Braon was attracted to her while also resenting her? Sophie didn't see this coming and Braon has the rare opportunity of seeing her on the back foot. Fortunately or otherwise, she recovers by the time the fiendling stops speaking.

"That's all true," she admits. "But one nice thing about being this sort of person is that you can always stop being one. And my job is to make you understand that you don't need to keep being the person you've always been." She hefts the hammer. "For now, let's try to make sure our children are safe by removing this particular menace."

[Arrivals]

Leaving the job of raising children to his wives? Not a good practice. Sophie is glad Benedict is willing to try avoiding it.

"Families come in all shapes and sizes, but in my experience there's no reason all available parents shouldn't participate," she says. "Of course, until now my experience with families has been that of an observer and mediator. Now I get to jump into the deep water myself. Something tells me I'm not as prepared as I might feel I am."

[A Good Talk]

"Come in," says the therapist's voice from behind the door. When Khannie does, she'll see Sophie sitting behind her desk. There's also a few different chairs and a sofa here, for actual sessions. "You're looking glum," she observes.
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

Keeper wrote: Apr 13, 2023 1:02 pm Ironwood Cabin

The mote of light bobs about as if considering, before finally saying, "This is secret."
"Father gave Mother a boon, as their Priest. All the power and status of their first. But Father didn't know how mortals work. Mother took on his [predecessor]'s whole life. He wears his face, his body. Then they opened his perception to the [geometry] of the world, but that was too much for him.

Mother is my Priest now. I am [THAT WHICH CAN BE, AND CAN BE AGAIN]. I wish to give him a Possibility that will make him happy.
...but I do not wish to repeat Father's mistakes."
Morty wrote: Apr 13, 2023 6:02 pm [Ironwood Cabin]

Tuskfang puts a valiant effort into understanding, but of course b's explanation sails right past his head in short order.

"That sounds really complicated. Can't you just get your mom a nice box of pencils? Like we got mom on her last birthday?"

When Pathfinder looks, he'll see that Balthuk and Maltrika are pushing a ball on the ground between each other while Hornclaw is trying to catch it, sometimes succeeding. There's no mayhem... for now.
Ironwood Cabin

Pathfinder relaxes a little when he sees that Balthuk and Maltrika are both behaving as they should be. They were a crafty duo and it wouldn't have surprised him if they were up to something. Or still were...

He listens to the explanation a bit and tilts his head as he tries to understand what the spirit was saying. "I think he's wanting a...magical gift. A blessing of sorts. While I think everyone could use a nice box of pencils, I think he's wanting something more complicated." He explains to his son. It was certainly a weird spirit to be talking to and it was pushing Pathfinder's knowledge of them to its limits. "Why not tell us a little more of the one whom is to received the boon?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Good Talk]

Hah.

Glum.

That goes without saying.

Khannie's eyes flick between Sophie and one of the chairs nearby. Is she supposed to sit down? She really isn't sure. She hasn't really talked to Sophie about any of this stuff before but... she seems like the sort of person that's good to talk to.

"Yeah,"
the teen finally admits. "Something happened at school that made me... I thought I was OVER this. I felt so dumb. And now I feel rotten and I'm not even sure if I'm being an idiot about this whole thing or not it's just so jumbled up."

Sabotaging herself before the conversation even starts probably doesn't help.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Demon-Slaying]

"Got your work cut out for you, then." Braon mumbles, pulling her cloak around her. "...Adea teaches us that people don't... don't really change. Not all the way down here." She taps her fingers against her chest, right over where her heart is. "And that trying to defy your nature is not only futile, it's a path to misery. I can't... really become a new person." She brings her hand back up to her temple and taps it. "Now, here, it's a bit different. Whoever I am deep down, it's fixed. If I'm really a rotten person, nothing you can say or do is going to change that. But at the same time... I..." She shakes her head. "...You know what? Forget it. Yeah, let's just go and kill the demon."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironwood Cabin

The little spirit bobs up and down cheerily, oblivious to the mortals' difficulty understanding it.
"Mother is a very large wolfen. He has accepted being wolfen. But has been trying very hard recently to expend unnecessary stored biological energy for the purposes of being less large. He used to be very small. Comparatively.

He chafes wearing the face of another. He tells people he is lazy and selfish but throws himself at the problems of others with regularity. He has been spending my entire existence supporting several friends of his. They call him noble and he laughs.

He knows I could solve problems of his, but is worried that I will not do things right because of how Father did things wrong."

It pauses, shaking as if trying to ponder something else to say about Codebreaker.
"I think his fur would look nice in another color."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Good Talk]

"Please sit." This sounds like it will take a while. "I can tell you one thing right now and that is that you're not being an idiot. Your emotions aren't to be dismissed like that. Can you tell me what exactly happened?"

[Demon-Slaying]

"Good thing I'm bad at backing down from a challenge." Sophie has some guesses as to what was cut off by that "forget it", but it will have to wait. She's got a job to do.

She raises her hand and a circle of white-gold light forms on the ground around them, with an intricate pattern within it. She then raises her hammer, the gold disc of a sun in eclipse shining on her brow again. She brings the hammer down on the amulet, with force that belies the strength of her arms and flows from her convictions.

Every time the hammer strikes the amulet, the glow around her brightens and the physical damage is compounded by metaphysical destruction. NarTheoLoq's essence will be torn away at, Sophie's power seeking to rip it to shreds and absorb it, destroying him permanently.

[Ironwood Cabin]

"Being Wolfen is cool! Even if I'm only half of one." Tuskfang is unsure about most of what b said, but he's sure about this. "Could you make him small again?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Good Talk]

Khannie hesitates for a moment, but soon she sits down. She fiddles with her fingers a bit. Being told she isn't being an idiot is nice. But her emotions are so jumbled up she still can't help but feel like she's being dumb somehow. Like she should be OVER this but instead she's still busted up over it.

What happened.

Ugh.

She absolutely feels dumb even talking about it.

"Someone dumbed a berry into my lunch while I wasn't looking," she says, disdain and embarrassment dripping from every word. "Like the kind pokemon eat. And I didn't notice until I stuck in in my mouth and the dumb thing was good and then they started laughing and-"

Oh yeah that's some shame.

"I realized what happened and I kind of... freaked out. And ran to the bathroom and threw up..."

Khannie has always been deeply uncomfortable with the whole pokemon thing. That much is known to pretty much everyone from Glog who's familiar with her. Khannie HATES pokemon food. She hates pokemon most anything. She's never really considered herself one and tries to avoid being seen as one. So something like that happening at school would have been mortifying to her.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Good Talk]

"Some things don't change. Among them the cruelty of teenagers." Sophie sighs. "I'm sorry you had to go through this. No one deserves it. Can you tell me more about why it made you so uncomfortable?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Good Talk]

There's the question Khannie was expecting.

Khannie opens her mouth a few times before closing it again. A couple false starts. Eventually she manages to settle on, "I don't like- I don't want people thinking of me as a pokemon. That's why I do the illusions and things. And why I made that wish to be human before it broke. My dad's human and I should be one, too. I'm not an animal or someone's pet. I'm a person."

Sure there are pokemon that are more or less on par with humans in terms of intelligence but that just doesn't feel quite the same to her.

She takes a deep breath, running her fingers through her hair.

"I start feeling happy and doing my thing and then something like THIS happens to remind me that I'm not human, not really. And then I feel like garbage because it feels like I'm lying to myself."

It's clear that there's a sharp conflict here. Khannie is on the one hand wanting to accept herself but she also doesn't want to deny her desire for humanity. Should it matter to her so much WHAT she is? If it shouldn't then why DOES it in spite of her efforts to the contrary? And all this is causing some pretty painful emotional knots.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Arrivals

Benedict would argue his father tutored him in magic and the arts, but that's primarily because his magic aptitude wasn't compatible with that of his mother or aunt (whichever one was which). Benedict was planning on doing the same, but... This might be better for Donatien. Which is why he's been convinced. "I want Donatien to be the best he can be. I came out... reasonably well, I want him better." And having just heard his wife's experience of family, he thinks it might be best.
"Oh, I think you'd be a mighty fine father Bennie." Libertine grins at her husband before pulling him into an awkward hug, still holding her baby. Benedict looks a bit awkward too.

Demon Slaying

Teeth shouldn't scream. Nevertheless, after the first blow, this one does, three voices each calling out in pain and fear- one deep, masculine voice; another, higher-pitched and more feminine voice, and the third the androgynous tones of a child. The first blow doesn't shatter the tooth; nor does the second, simply making the screams louder and more pained. The third blow shatters it, shards of bone and enamel slicing out from the gigantic molar. They've got some force behind them, though are perfectly normal and very clean pieces of bone. NarTheoLoq is dead, its last effort to cause an injury having no supernatural potency to it. There's not enough pieces to make the whole tooth, even if they were all gathered.

Morty

Post by Morty »

[Demon Slaying]

The screaming surprises Sophie and disturbs her more than she'd admit. She knows NarTheoLoq is deceitful, but this still makes what she's doing feel too much like an execution. The shards of bone bounce off the armor she'd conjured. When the tooth is finally shattered, she stands there for a moment, glowing golden. Then her armor and the circle fade away, but the glow doesn't.

"It's... done. He's dead."

[A Good Talk]

"You are a person, no matter what anyone says." Sophie decides to establish this straight away. "But I see your frustration. Your identity clashes with your current shape, which makes you feel guilty for wanting it. It's not an easy conflict to resolve. Did you feel better when your wish made you human? The consequences of the wish aside."

[Arrivals]

"Doing better than our parents did is what many new parents try to do, I've heard." In her case, she considers her parents to have done as good a job as they could. Of course, Trick never knew hers. "My wife will work from home for a while, taking care of the boys. But I do want them to meet some friends here."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[A Good Talk]

"I know," Khannie sighs. "It just sucks when other students bug me about it. There are pokemon trainers at my school, right? Most of 'em have pokemon that are basically just pets or whatever. But some of 'em are kinda smart, they just can't talk. It's kinda weird and creepy I guess."

Unnerving.

It doesn't help that pokemon in the Nexus vary widely in their cognitive abilities. Khannie is pretty clearly at the upper end of the scale.

At Sophie's question the girl pauses to think.

"At first I felt SUPER great. I was happy and excited and everything. But after... I dunno a couple months? Then it just felt normal. I was me. But I've always been me, right? I feel normal most of the time, but then something happens like today that just knocks me sideways."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Morty wrote: Apr 28, 2023 9:29 pm [Demon Slaying]

The screaming surprises Sophie and disturbs her more than she'd admit. She knows NarTheoLoq is deceitful, but this still makes what she's doing feel too much like an execution. The shards of bone bounce off the armor she'd conjured. When the tooth is finally shattered, she stands there for a moment, glowing golden. Then her armor and the circle fade away, but the glow doesn't.

"It's... done. He's dead."
[Demon Slaying]

"Good riddance." Braon sighs, looking over the remains of the tooth. Was there a cavity or something inside that she didn't know about? It looks... much smaller than it should.

"...You know, I was wrong." Braon says after a moment. "That was still plenty satisfying."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Good Talk]

"It's a question of whether you feel normal and right in your current body or if you've learned to cope with it. And the fact that being reminded of being a Pokemon can send you into a depressive spiral is a sign that something is nonetheless wrong." Sophie's bright blue eyes peer into Khannie. "The challenge is narrowing down the source of the problem and finding a solution."

[Demon Slaying]

"...I try not to think about it this way." Sophie sighs, lowering her hammer. The glow around her isn't subsiding yet. "I can't let myself be satisfied by killing someone. Now more than ever, after I was Exalted. But that's just another way in which we're different people, isn't it."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Arrivals

"My grandfather set that bar so low my father passed it easily. I didn't know my mothers' side of the family, besides my mothers themselves. I suppose they had a supportive one, given they were able to attract my father's attention with their skills and reputation despite their low birth." Which could mean many things, in many ways, but does imply a stratified society with a rigid class system.
"I could work from home, but my magic is not good for young lungs. Which is why we are here." Libertine starts to gesture, but stops herself from completing the symbol before she finishes it and conjures a blast of smoke.