GLoG

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: GLoG

Post by Rebonack »

[Fireworks!]

"It's definitely magic doing that," Khannie reasons. "Some kind of charm that works on bugs? Or maybe it heard me call you a firefly princess? I dunno. It's definitely magic but I don't know what sort for sure. I don't THINK it's dangerous. Or not anymore dangerous than other sorts of magic?"

Khannie isn't clear on the specifics here but there is without question something unusual going on.

Ah well.

They'll figure it out. Or her dad will. Too bad there aren't any magic people at GLoG who could tell them. Mrs Richards might know, but it's late and she already picked her kids up.

Anyway!

Fireworks.

"Okay, a fountain next," Khannie says as she fishes a squat cylinder about as big around as her fist from the packaging and sets it in the sand. "Okay everyone stand back a bit. These ones shoot lots of sparks up in the air so you don't want to be close."

She'll wait to make sure everyone has moved to a safe distance before she lights it.

[Lakeside Arts and Crafts]

Khannie has heard that word before.

Usually in the context of super villains. People who don't care about hurting other people.

But maybe there's some different meaning she doesn't know about? That's always possible.

"I'm not sure if I know what psychopath means," she admits. A truthful admission.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Fireworks]

Of course I hear you.
And if you listen closely,
Maybe you'll hear me.

The staff doesn't give any coherent vocalizations, physical, mental, or otherwise. But Cheasadh will find herself strangely more aware of certain parts of her surroundings... the gentle lapping of the lake against the shore, the quiet buzz of the fireflies hovering around and finding their positions, various insects scuttling through the foliage under her feet, gentle pulses thrumming from her friends (literally; if she isn't already, she'll hear their blood running through their veins and their heartbeats ever-so-slightly disturbing the air and dirt around them), and...

Huh.

Melancholy isn't normally what one would feel when fireworks are going off, and yet there's an unmistakable sense of it in the air.

Perhaps that's too close.
Tonight isn't the time for that.
Just... be with your friends.

As quickly as the sensations start, they stop. Cheasadh might feel a bit like she's just snapped out of a daydream.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Fireworks!]

Tuskfang backs away as Khannie instructed, then bounces on his feet in anticipation.

"Taking it to your dad seems like a good idea," Brinika agrees. "Uncle Pathfinder might know something but it seems more like a wizard thing than a shaman thing." Not that she has a very good idea about it, but it's a hunch. "Could I come along too? I've never been to your house before."
Purple Countess
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: They/she

Post by Purple Countess »

[Sophie's Office]

"Good, because I happen to agree." Dahlia nods approvingly. "Impartiality is a good trait to have in your line of work, yes?"

Then an idea comes to her, making her smile widen. Tilting her head curiously, she speaks. "I wonder what it's like. Do you need an assistant?" It's a sudden idea, but it's a good idea that is win-win.

Dahlia takes a deep breath as she prepares to explain. "It is a severe Antisocial Personality Disorder characterized by lack of empathy. Full disclosure." She says, blowing on her sculpture. It's shaping up to be Khannie herself.

"To use more comic archetypes, I could be a villain or a mad scientist, or anti-hero... or just a hero, in Zara's maybe-case." There might be some truth to that last part. "It makes me a very efficient... professional."

Something about the way she says that last word might come off as ominous. Maybe.

"See why I can't get traumatized?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Sophie's Office]

Sophie is surprised. This doesn't happen often, nor is it apparent if she doesn't want it to be - but this time, Dahlia will notice that she skips a beat, not knowing how to respond at first.

"An interesting suggestion. What role do you imagine yourself playing in my therapy?"
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fireworks

"What?" Cheasadh jumps, as though she hadn't been listening. "Oh... yeah, that sounds like a good idea." She shivers slightly, and her nose twitches.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Fireworks!]

"I mean, yeah I guess if you want to?" Khannie ponders aloud as she snaps her fingers a few times until she gets a little flame to light. Her skill with firebolt is pretty rudimentary but it IS good enough to light fireworks. "My house is pretty boring we haven't got giant riding salamanders or anything. It's just a regular house in Inside."

Just a normal old housy house.

Then?

She leans down and lights the fuse before hopping back!

In no time at all colorful sparks are leaping skyward, painting the sky with brilliant lights.

That sounds terrible.

Khannie can't even imagine what it would be like not to be able to feel things toward her friends. Toward her dad. Or at least that's how she's interpreting what's being said. She is, after all, an almost fourteen year old girl and so her life experience is pretty limited. Especially when it comes to very uncommon mind states like this.

"Is there medicine for it or something?" she asks.

There's medicine for people who feel depressed, right? Why not medicine for this, too?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Feather Zone]

Khannie had seen this spot already.

She and her friends commonly explored the woods around the campsite and discovering a forty foot cube where multi-colored feathers were constantly floating around as if it were locked in an eternal pillow fight really catches the eye. Stepping inside had been weird. To everyone standing OUTSIDE the zone they dismissed what was going on within as unreal.

It was a wild experience.

Like if Khannie was standing inside and Brinika was standing outside then her friend would be CONVINCED that whatever Khannie was doing in there wasn't really happening. She found it had a similar effect on her when the positions were reverse. Even though she KNEW what it was doing, she just COULD NOT assure herself that anything taking place within was real.

They had found out from Sekhmet that Khannie's 'mother' had created the anomaly with the express intent of making it possible for Sekhmet to work on magical girls without the awful white butt gremlin from noticing. It had allowed Sekhmet to examine Khannie's soul in a bit more detail, but since Sekhmet was going to have a baby soon she didn't want to do anything risky.

Well!

Sekhmet has had her baby (who is so cute ohmygosh) and has had a chance to recover and now that means it's time to really try something. It had worked on Mary. And Khannie's situation isn't nearly as dire. Thus, Khannie now stands outside the Feather Zone waiting for Sekhmet to join her.

She's a little nervous.

If the contract gets broken, will that break her Wish, too? Will that mean she won't be a real human girl anymore?

Even if that happens...

This time she isn't going to be dumb and try to resolve the problem herself. She has friends and family. She has people she can trust.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Feather Zone
Sekhmet arrives only a little later, followed by Mary in her humanoid form. Both are bundled up against the cold, despite it only being a bit chilly. The baby, as cute as he is, is asleep back at the cabin and hopefully won't wake up until after they're done.

"Hi Khannie," Mary greets. Sekhmet nods. "Are you ready to begin? The process will be painless, right Mary?" "Yeah, it didn't hurt. Felt really strange, but didn't hurt."
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Feather Zone]

Using your weekend home from school to break evil butt-gremlin curses that will eventually turn you into an awful despair ghost thing is a pretty solid use of time, Khannie would say.

"Hey Mary. Thanks for being here," Khannie gives a little nod in response to Sekhmet's question. "And yeah! I'm ready. And I've got an idea that might make it work even better? I've been practicing with shadow transmutations."

That said, she speaks a word and the shadows of everything nearby stretch toward her, shrouding her in an umbral cocoon that quickly resolves into the faewild dragon Mary has become familiar with. The process is faster and smoother than the first time Mary witnessed it, making it quite clear that Khannie has been practicing.

"This'll put my my soul gem inside me, right? That should make it a little easier since inside me's where souls are supposed to go anyway," Khannie reasons as she scoots into the Feather Zone. When Sekhmet joins her and begins reaching out with her magic she'll find that Khannie's human body is sequestered within the illusion, sealed inside a little black egg within it. Khannie's actual body is insentient at the moment, all of her senses routed through the illusion.

And while inside that egg Khannie's physical form is of dubious physicality.

In the same way that her soul gem is now of dubious physicality.

Since it's physicality is temporarily broken, weaving Khannie's soul back into her where it ought to be should be a simpler process with fewer potential complications.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Feather Zone
Sekhmet reaches into the illusory dragon and gently touches the real girl inside.
No doubt it feels really strange. It looks really strange to Mary, who's watching from the sidelines. "I see. This should only be a moment." Converting a real soul gem back into a soul took some effort, but converting a quasi-real soul gem should be easier, since its physicality doesn't need to be broken. Sekhmet disperses the enchantment holding the gem together and gently presses what remains into Khannie's chest.
If all goes well, this should be enough.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Feather Zone]

It's weirdly anti-climactic, isn't it?

After all this agonizing over the process all it takes is a couple good ideas and a few moments.

Khannie doesn't immediately feel any different. Not really. Aside from the fact that all that magical girl magic suddenly feels impossibly out of reach. That's probably a good sign, right? She steps out of the feather field, allows the shadows to flow away from her, and immediately touches her ear.

The little amethyst stud is gone.

"It worked..." Khannie mutters.

And then breaks into a huge, idiot grin!

"It worked! It worked and I'm still human, too!" she laughs, giving a little whoop and pumping her fists in the air.

This is, of course, doesn't last long. Khannie gives a little groan, the enthusiasm on her face fading as she clutches her belly. "I don't... I don't feel so good all of a sudden."

It doesn't last long because Khannie's Wish unravels.

She doubles over as her body warps and shifts, bones creaking and cracking as they rearrange themselves. Skin sloughing off to reveal flashing scales. Claws bursting from her fingers and toes. Great glittery wings equal parts draconic and lepidopteran sprouting from her back. Face distending into a snout and spine lengthening into a tail. All the while she grows and grows and GROWS until standing there, heaving and panting atop a little pile of exploded clothing, is the faewild dragon again.

Except.

This time.

Very much flesh and blood.

"I guess... haha..." she sobs, big tears running down her face, her every limb drooping with disappointment. "I guess breaking the contract breaks the wish, too..."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Feather Zone
Sekhmet steps back when Khannie starts changing.
And then immediately once it finishes, rushes forward to give the crying dragon a hug. "It's okay, I'm here, you're going to be okay." She beckons to Mary with her tail, and the demon princess joins in as well. "We're here for you, it'll be all right." They're both trying to be as reassuring as possible.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Feather Zone]

And this is when literally everyone ever hugs Khannie.

Or at least everyone who had gathered to supply some moral support while the 'operation' took place.

"It's okay," Khannie sniffs. "I'm just... I'm just back to where I was before the wish, right? The wish was dumb and I was dumb for making it."

She shudders with another sob, but manages to choke it down before looking over at her dad. "I should have told you. Or... or been more insistent. Or something! There's probably someone in the Nexus that can make me human without wishes or contacts or evil plots. I shouldn't have tried doing this all myself. It was an idiot thing to do and I was such an idiot for doing it."

Thankfully Khannie isn't a magical girl anymore.

Usually a magical girl crying and calling themselves an idiot is what happens right before they get bewitched.

"I don't know if I wanna do any more changes right away. But... maybe we can at least start looking for someone who can make me a REAL human? There's gotta be something. I guess for now I can just..."

Oh wow she looks REALLY glum.

"Just... pretend to be a real girl."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Feather Zone

There is currently someone he barely knows hugging Jace's daughter instead of him. He does his best to not seem like he's pushing Sekhmet away to get to Khannie's face. He leans his forehead gently against Khannie's nose as he strokes her neck.

"Khannie. I know what you mean. But I don't want to hear you say that you're not a real girl ever again, okay? I have a wonderful daughter and that doesn't change because she's had a setback. And no beating yourself up, either. I made a promise to you that we'd get through this and we will. Do you want me to start working on another bauble like Grandfather Koi gave you? I can't make permanent ones like he did but I can ones that last for a while."
He's made an Alter Self bauble before. But he's never been able to get the spell to last very long.
"Or ice cream?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Feather Zone
Jace doesn't need to push Sekhmet aside, she understands to let him through. He is the parent here, she's just the surgeon. Metaphorically speaking. She steps back to let Jace handle it.
Although she has a thought. Maybe a good one, possibly a bad one. She signals to Mary telepathically.
It only takes a moment and there are two fewer succubi and two more dragons amongst the feathers. One is the familiar black-scaled volcano dragon, the other is larger than Khannie or Mary by far with red, wine-colored scales and deep, thoughtful eyes.
They don't say anything yet, just leave their change of species to be noticed when Khannie is ready to notice it.

Ice cream is a good idea, you can see Mary's scaly ear-fins perk up at the suggestion, but enough ice cream for three dragons would be... A lot.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Feather Zone]

Given that Khannie isn't THAT huge leaning a head against her nose requires a bit of crouching. She doesn't mind, though. She leans back on her haunches so she can wrap her forelegs around her dad.

"But I'm not-" Khannie begins, only to choke off the words when the stern look inevitably comes. She averts her gaze, looking down at the ground. "Being a dragon that pretends to be a human girl just isn't the same."

It really isn't.

She just wants to be HUMAN.

That's all! Is it really so much to ask?

"No, I don't think so. I've gotten REALLY good at my shadow illusions. I can make a disguise myself that feels real to me AND everyone else. It's... it takes a lot of effort to keep it going but it's good endurance practice! I... well... I can't really cast anything when I'm disguised, though. If you can make a trinket that does the work for me that might be nice? Maybe that IS a good idea. ...beans, I need to remember that I don't have to do everything myself."

Khannie's CAN DO! attitude has never budged even an inch her whole life.

"Ice cream would be cool," she admits.

Then notices Sekhmet and Mary.

And snorts.

Then laughs.

"Hah, you two don't have to do that for me. Anywhere we go would be WAY to crowded. Hang on."

The faewild dragon pulls the shadows to herself, swaddling her form in them as she rapidly shrinks down until!

DOOP!

Just regular human girl Khannie with some glittery colorful highlights in her hair.

She takes a deeeeeep breath and then puts on a somewhat forced smile.

"Yeah. Let's go get ice cream."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Feather Zone

"You're my baby girl no matter what you look like." Jace insists. "But like I said. I know what you meant." Khannie was being literal in her use of the word 'girl' but Jace dislikes when she implies that she's not 'real' because of what she is. He'll just have to get this sorted for her as soon as possible.
"Now," he grins, tousling Khannie's quasi-real hair, "What kind of ice cream do you want?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Feather Zone
Mary laughs first. Then Sekhmet. A moment later the two laughing demons are demons again, not giant fiery lizards. "Ice cream sounds good!" "But if you would prefer to make it a family affair, we understand."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Farewell to the Feather Zone]

"Daaaaaad!" Khannie wails in protest as her father tousles her hair and insists that she is his baby girl no matter what.

This is exactly the sort of thing teens don't like their parents saying in front of their friends. It's just so embarrassing!

Anywho! Yeah, Khannie uses girl in a literal sense. A dragon can't be a girl because they're a DRAGON. Not a human or a goblin or something like that. It's very different. And Khannie wants to be like her dad; a real human. Being a dragon like uncle Zebes is okay but it isn't the same. She has this awful nagging feeling that there are way worse things she could have been made into when she was kidnapped, but she would prefer not to dwell on that. Being a dragon is... okay. She's got dragon friends and dragon family. Like Nick Jr and Mary and Kol and Uncle Zebes and, she's willing to begrudgingly admit, Fortuna, too.

She can handle this. They can use magic to keep her at least pretend human. And maybe, eventually, they'll be able to find a solution that makes her REALLY human again. One that doesn't require her to sell her soul to an awful little catfox devil.

"You can come, too. You've been really helpful, Sekhmet. And Mary, you're my friend. And-" she leans away from the hair tousling attack and gives her dad a 'PLEASE not in front of my friend' look. "And I was thinking that little ice cream shop on the road between here and Inside? Brinika and Ches and me walk over there all the time when it's hot."

And sometimes when it isn't.

[Spooktober Arts and Crafts]

They're having the big Spooktober party at GLOG this year!

That is SO cool!

Khannie missed out on the one last year. She had been too busy with magical girl things but now she isn't a magical girl anymore and that horrible weight has been lifted off her shoulders. NOW she can just enjoy time with her friends and do her school stuff and not have to worry about saving the city from Witches or whatever else.

She can just be a KID with her friends.

And that's...

It feels nice.

It really does.

SO!

That means DECORATING everything!

Glog is pretty big but thankfully Mrs Frescot has, like, a gazillion kids and Khannie (wearing her OFFICIAL GLOG BUSINESS HAT) is trying to rope in at least some of them to help. In this case? Making little paper napkin ghosts for hanging around the camp. That's something simple kids can do.

"Okay so first you take the two napkins, okay?" Khannie explains waving the napkins in question. "And you ball one of them up and then wrap the other around it like this, right? And then you twist it here and put a rubber band around the neck so it stays together! Then you can use the marker to put a face on it and you've got this little shuppet looking ghost!"

See?

Easy.

The only question is how many (if any) of the kids are willing to pay attention. It might just be Khannie and her friends doing all the work (as usual).
Morty

Post by Morty »

Khannie is aided in her task by a crack team of goblins and woblins (possibly also a gnome). Brinika is there with all her cousins on her mom's side. Tuskfang, Balthuk and Maltrika are present, as well as the four goblins in two sets of twins - Grapok, Heegda, Blaggut and Oortka.

"This is so cool! Normally we go to Spooktober but this time Spooktober came to us!"

The results of their efforts vary. Brinika, Grapok and Heegda (the twins are close to her in age) are working efficiently. Tuskfang seems to get it, but his enthusiasm gets the better of him and Blaggut and Oortka (who are about his age) seem to mostly be following him. Balthuk and Maltrika are really too young to be doing this but don't want to be left out.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Lucky!

Lucky that Brinika and Cheasadh's family is so big. That means more relatives over. Which means more people working. Which means more decorations to make! Sure they could just go to one of those Spooktober BOO!tique or whatever and buy decorations but that's lame and dumb. It's WAY more fun to actually make the things! Khannie has an AWESOME idea for making paper garlands but that kind of decoration is a bit more complex than the napkin ghosts so she was thinking start with the easy thing, right?

Khannie, having had some experience helping Mrs Frescot wrangling kids before, has a pretty good idea. The two youngest goblins are really gung ho but they haven't got quite the coordination they need SO!

"Hey, uh, Balthuk? Maltika? I've got a good idea,"
Khannie says, scooting around the table to get closer to the youngest of the goblins. "You guys are REALLY good at making the napkin balls and drawing ghost faces, so you do that, okay? Then Tuskfang and Blaggut and Oorka can put the bodies on them and then you can finish by making the faces. It'll be team work."

The secret to wrangling babs is to give them something they CAN do and feel helpful doing.

Khannie has learned well.

"We'll need to get the decorations all hung up but we can worry about THAT later since we gotta make 'em first."
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Hawthorn Cabin?]

The hive's thoughts are here right when Sekhmet returns from the Scorching Depths.
Welcome back! The marquess is friendly about it-
I trust you had no trouble escaping through your realm? While the queen gets right to the point.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Hawthorn Cabin
One of their robots followed me in, but was destroyed shortly afterwards. Sekhmet gets to the point as well. "Did you get the information you need? I'm afraid I'm not quite cut out for this sort of work."
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Hawthorn Cabin]

I think you did fine for your first try. It's not like any of us have a lot of practice with this stuff. There's a joking hint to Sekhmet's work at Pontius's that doesn't rise to the level of a full message.
Good work. We gained much useful information, though we still do not know where the rest of them are located. That ship would not have been sent alone, thus we are in serious danger even though they are still at an early stage of their investigation.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Spooktober Arts and Crafts

Of course Cheasadh's here! It's a chance to spend time with her sister and some friends. Also supervise a bunch of cousins as they make a mess, but so long as none of them get too much glue in their hair it should be OK. Cheasadh is wearing a pink apron over her denim culottes and a pink t-shirt today, plus her GLoG hat, and her staff may be resting nearby, potentially with a handkerchief ghost hanging from the end. "I'm not sure how much help we'd be with hanging them up, Khannie. Everything here's so annoying big." Although at least most of it is adapted for use by smaller individuals, it's still going to be tricky asking a group of goblins to hang up some decorations from a human-scale window.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

Hawthorn Cabin
What are they investigating? Sekhmet wonders if she just made herself (and by extension her family) a target. She hopes not. But it pays to know what's going on, just in case.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Yeah!"

"We can do that!"

The two fuzzy little woblins don't need a lot of encouragement to focus on their favorite part of the process.

"Yeah, we're really not the right team to be hanging up decorations," Brinika agrees. "We might need to ask uncle Pathfinder for help. He's big. It's a shame Mr. Frescot isn't here, he's big too. Or your uncle Zebes could help us by flying up."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Success!

Khannie's plan is working perfectly. And this plan involves relatively little glue and glitter. So unless one of the woblins gets the bright idea of making a fabulous sparkle ghost they should be safe from the tyranny of glitter getting all over everything. Glitter is more of a Thanksmas thing, anyway. At least in Khannie's opinion.

And on the topic of decoration hanging?

Khannie grins a big grin.

"Don't worry, girls, I've got a PLAN! But it's a secret I don't want to ruin the surprise," she says, casting a glance as the younger wob/gobs. Brinika will definitely recognize that look. It's the look Khannie would often get when she came up with a good magical application to enhance their games out in the forest. She's got an idea that she thinks the others will have a lot of fun with.

"Once we've got enough ghosts we can grab the twine and start hanging 'em. AND we need to carve pumpkins, too. Hang on I've gotta list," Khannie says as she pulls out a checklist she made for the purposes of organized Spooktober decorations. "We've working on the ghosts. And we'll need to spread around the fake spider webs. And make the fake spiders. And we've got the craft paper for making paper garlands and cutouts. That's all the stuff we can do NOW. Pumpkin carving should be RIGHT before Spooktober so they pumpkins don't get all mushroomed up and rot. And finally help with making snacks on the day of the party!"

LOTS of things to help and be busy with!

Khannie has got this all planned out and she's definitely going to put her organizational skills to work. Keeping a mob of enthusiastic kids on task is both easier and harder than doing the same with Magical Girls.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Spooktober Arts & Crafts

"You usually have good plans. I hope it's not a goblin ladder." Being a ladder made of goblins, it works quite well- when it's not performed by easily-distractible children. And Cheasadh would count herself in that, too. Also, given these are children, I'm not sure how tall they could actually reach.