GLoG

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GLoG

Post by Gullara »

[Treasure Hunting]

Lucy takes several more crackers and leaves them in a pile for the muskrats when it appears they're leaving. Then she rushes back over to the others. Well, Manja's on her way out, but they'll be joining her, right? "Huh, does Manja know the way?" Only Tuskfang saw the map, right? "We don't wanna lose her. Come on!" And with that she sprints out at top speed after their catty friend.
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Treasure Hunting]

Khannie looks vaguely uncomfortable at Tuskfang's question. "I got turned into a pokemon when I was just a little baby. My dad's human, though. And thanks! If you never noticed then I'm doing a pretty good job! Most people don't. Notice, I mean."

Except when random artifacts or sneak attack snowballs are involved.

Or people who see her when she falls asleep.

"Maybe we need to check the bridge out next? It might be what leads to the treasure. Or at least the next clue," Khannie suggests.

But then Manja goes running off out of the boat house and down to the lake shore! Khannie is quick to hurry after her! Because how the heck did she know where to-

Oh.

She's down by the shore glaring at a muskrat in the shallows! The animal is getting after a small stand of cattail plants, chewing it over to get at its nutrient rich roots. The rodent is half submerged in the cold autumn lake water and doesn't seem to be very concerned about Manja trying to come after him.

And speaking of food! The muskrats squeak at Lucy in an appreciative and adorable way. They seem to be pretty happy about her sharing her cracker supply with them! Crackers are pretty tasty and don't have NEARLY as much grit in them as cattail roots.

"So you saw bridge that isn't real? What part of the lake was it by?" Khannie asks, shading her eyes with one hand to peer across the lake just in case this mysterious bridge has appeared.

It hasn't.

But the climbing tree and accompanying boulder aren't very far away.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Treasure Hunting]

"It should be here." Tuskfang peers at the lake. Thankfully for Khannie, he doesn't focus on her illusions or status as a fox for very long. "Between this tree and this boulder. I think Manja just ran after this muskrat."
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[Treasure Hunting]

Honestly, Manja doesn't care if her subjects are foxes or humans or dryadeer who glow when you look at them with magic rocks or anything else. Doesn't matter, they're all still her subjects. And besides, both her parents change what they look like all the time. She just doesn't get why they would be uncomfortable or confused or whatever. Hardly even crosses her mind.

Besides, there's treasure to find. And rats to overthrow. And bridges to find.

The kitten considers jumping into the water after the rodent to capture and question it, but then (when she touches the water) decides it's too cold. Just chasing after the mafia rat isn't enough of a reason to get cold.

Manja notices that Khannie's looking for something around the lake. And Tuskfang, too! They're all looking for something.
Of course!
That must be what they're doing now. Looking for something. Don't worry, she'll find it first, she promises. Even though she doesn't know exactly what they're looking for. Manja backs away from the water and watches the three of them, trying to see which direction they're going to go. Because, of course, whichever direction they go has got to be the right direction.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Treasure Hunting]

Huh? It's just another muskrat? Lucy stops a short ways away from Manja, watching the confrontation until it ends abruptly. Huh. She watches Manja for a moment longer before her attention is drawn back to the others. She runs back over to them. "Where're we going?" Lucy asks. Did she ever find that out in the first place?
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Treasure Hunting]

No reason to focus on Khannie's illusions when there's TREASURE to find!

"Over to the jumping tree!" Khannie calls out as she jogs off after Tuskfang.

That being the tree kids often use to jump off of into the lake as opposed to a tree that jumps. The only tree that jumps around here would potentially be Lucy's grandpa if he stopped by to visit. And even then he doesn't seem like the sort who would be jumping around very often.

So!

Our heroes arrive at the tree and boulder and-!

It just looks like the regular old tree and boulder. The big maple tree has dropped all of its leaves by now, a few of them still scattered on the ground all brown and eaten full of holes by bugs. It sure doesn't LOOK like there's any bridge.

That is, at least, until Tuskfang looks through the lens.

The sun was already shining bright on this crisp autumn afternoon, but now as he looks at the shafts of sunlight beaming down from on high he'll be able to see the rays reflecting off the surface of the lake and forming a luminous bridge across the water and to the lake. It's... awesome. A sight of beauty that seals the breath. The play of the sunlight on the water, the framing of the lake and trees and boulder with the mountains rising in the distance.

Even without the lens it's still there, just as wonderful, but perhaps all the lens did was reveal the glory hidden in the familiar.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Treasure Hunting]

"When I looked at the map through the glass, it showed me a bridge over the lake. But there's no bridge here. Mom says we don't need a bridge because we have boats but I know she doesn't like boats," Tuskfang prattles. "I'll try looking through the glass now." When he does, he's clearly entranced by the sight. "There is a bridge there. I need to try getting on it. Someone help me climb the rock."
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Treasure Hunting]

Manja runs off after Tuskfang and Khannie, too. Wanting to be there first makes her go faster, but, unfortunately, she doesn't exactly know the destination so that works against her. Definitely not the first one to the tree or boulder.

She is, of course, disappointed that she doesn't see the tree jump.
Darn it.
With a name like 'jumping tree' you'd think it would jump as soon as they got there. Maybe it's just not surprised enough, Manja thinks. Since people tend to jump when surprised. She makes a mental note to sneak up on this tree another day, when it's not expecting her.

She mews and looks around for a bridge.

She doesn't see one, of course.

Manja admits that she's probably not the best kitten to help Tuskfang climb the rock. So she opts to delegate that job to either Lucy or Khannie, since they're both giants. Best she could do is give motivational support, she supposes.
She circles around the boulder, finds the best place for a cat to get up it, crouches, wiggles her tail, and....jumps!

You see, one time Manja saw this motivational poster of a kitten on a branch, with the words 'HANG IN THERE, BABY'.
Manja, with one claw on the boulder, does her best to replicate that image while staring at Tuskfang. Motivational support.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Treasure Hunting]

"I got it!" She comes over and puts her hands together for Tuskfang. A sound technique for getting your siblings somewhere they're not supposed to be; it should work here too. Once she's got him up she pulls herself up onto the rock too. "So it's invisible? Does that mean you'll lead the way?"
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Treasure Hunting]

"It would have to be a REALLY long bridge, too," Khannie points out. "Like dumb sorta long. I dunno if Glog has got the stuff for building a bridge that big."

They don't exactly have infinite funds for all sorts of crazy super tech.

Anyway!

Khannie, being unaware of the fact that Manja is trying to be inspiring at the moment, gives the kitten a little shove to help her get up on top of the boulder. And, seeing as how she's the biggest kid of the bunch, she climbs up there too without much trouble!

There!

Now they're all up on top of the rock!

It's a really pretty view.

None of our treasure hunters save Tuskfang will be able to see the luminous bridge. But as soon as he steps out onto it from atop the boulder-!

Well.

They still can't see it.

Not really. Not like he can through the lens. But the air does somehow feel warmer and more shimmery. And when they step out into that slightly shimmery air they'll be able to feel solid... something? under their feet. Our heroes will be able to follow Tuskfang's lead out to the island.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Treasure Hunting]

"Thanks, Lucy!" Though it was Lucy who hoisted him up, Manja's contributions cannot be overstated. Her jump was very motivational for the woblin. "Yeah, follow me! I can see the bridge." The role of guiding his friends across the bridge makes Tuskfang positively swell with pride and self-assurance. He almost seems to grow bigger.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Treasure Hunting]

Obviously Manja didn't need Khannie's help to finish getting up, but even so she's still a little appreciative of it.

She looks around for the bridge. Obviously, she can't see it.
But! She sees Tuskfang step out onto it! It's got to be there. Great!

She fearlessly dashes out onto it.
Manja even tries going out ahead of Tuskfang! But, of course, since she can't really see the bridge, she ends up having to wait for him to go out ahead of her again before she can dash forward again, so that he can show the way.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Treasure Hunting]

"Wow it's invisible? That's so cool!" Lucy follows eagerly after Tuskfang, showing no hesitation to step out into apparent thin air. She pauses once they're out a bit, though, and stomps her foot on the surface to get a sense of it.
~Images by Soushiyo
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Ironsmith wrote: Dec 27, 2022 12:46 pm [Riftline: An Angel and Me]

"Well, I haven't seen a lot of butterflies up there, funny enough, but if you like overweight wolf-men, you'll love it there." Marianne smirks, giving June one last pat on the back. "...Right, though. Let's focus on catching up to Jolene for now. I think I've got a couple of things I want to say to her, too."

Fortunately, the train chooses that precise moment to arrive, hissing into place in front of them as the doors along the sides open. Apparently, nobody from the previous station was interested in coming here; they'll have the cars all to themselves until the next stop at GLoG.

[An Angel and Me
Late at night, arriving by Riftline

June finally gets off the train. It arrives quite late into the night. As it happens, she's not sure how to feel about overweight wolf-men. Never really met one yet, so it's still up in the air how she feels about them.

By the time they get off the train, June's fingers have sharpened back into inky black claws. Her sunglasses are still there, even this late after the sun has gone down. Her hair is gray with the appearance of stripes, and only appears to have a hint of red under certain lighting. Also, she gives off a vibe of something not being quite right. Spooky. This late at night, there's that unnerving quality that you get during a nightmare that you know is a nightmare but nothing in particular has happened in the dream so far.

She steps off the Riftline, and looks across the GLoG campsite. "Yes, she's definitely here," she says.

She walks towards the cabins, as if she already knows exactly where to go. Behind a cabin, in a tree, there's a recently-made birdhouse. She taps on the side of the birdhouse, whispering, "Good morning."

One of the two pixies from Trog's comes out. It should be noted that both of them looked identical, with the most notable things about them being their butterfly wings, blue caps, and blue dresses. Oh, and their androgyny.

"Hellooooo, is your mother here?" the woman asks at the birdhouse. The pixie leans out, and points down at some other tree.

The woman heads off towards that tree, where the other pixie is, sitting and hiding in that tree. "Jolene? Joleeeeene?" she says as she approaches, trying to not be so loud as to wake the GLoG residents.

In the case Marianne followed June so far to the birdhouse, the pixie from there suddenly speaks out to the angel. "Hey, you! Uh, bir...no, um, sca...er, snake! Yeah, you!" Marianne's a snake, right? Close enough, the pixie figures. "Big monster lady forgot something, could you give it to her?"
She takes a moment to go back in the birdhouse, and then carries a ring out. Rose gold and black tungsten carbide, in a stripe. "Here it is."
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Riftline: An Angel and Me]

"...Um... sure." Marianne says, taking the ring when offered. She's not sure how she feels about being called a snake; she doesn't look even remotely like one, and she doesn't much appreciate the insinuation with regards to her character, but... well, from what she's seen of these pixies before, she's not going to be able to talk her out of it. So a snake she is.

After taking the ring, she'll follow June and unobtrusively offer the jewelry to her, craning her neck to look around for Jolene. She's got words for the pixie as soon as she shows herself. A whole lecture on how horrible it was to run off on June like that and how she really should treat her better. Maybe invoking some of that implied angelic authority to give the words some weight, if pixies respect such things.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Treasure Hunting]

"This is something else," Khannie breaths, wonder-struck by the whole experience. She's been through some pretty wild things in her short life but in terms of something just being amazing and beautiful, this probably takes the cake.

Lucy STOMPS on the bridge! It feels kind of like walking on ice where there's a tiny amount of give and it's hollow below. Also? When she stomps there's a ripple, like a stone thrown into a pond. Except it isn't a ripple of water, but rather a ripple of sunlight that reverberates and bounces off the bounds of the bridge, giving some idea of where its edges are.

It looks really pretty!

The ripples don't propagate far, so they do little to show the children which way the bridge actually GOES. They'll need Tuskfang's guidance for that. The trek takes them across the lake aaaaaall the way out to the island with its sparse trees and rocks and SUPPOSEDLY a cave that only appears under the light of the full moon. But our treasure hunters aren't looking for any of those things. They're looking for something that is, perhaps, unseen. Something that will provide them with their next clue.

Tuskfang's lens will reveal it.

Hanging from a low branch of a tree that has already dropped all its leaves is an old empty wasp's nest.

But a wasp's nest is merely its appearance.

Not it's substance.

What's truly there, hanging from the branch, is a lantern wrought from the dusky blue of the nocturnal firmament and woven with golden filigree. It isn't lit, not yet. And it isn't revealed. Not yet. But when Tuskfang touches the lantern the appearances will wilt away until the substance is seen by all.

This is a treasure.

But not the treasure.

Once lit it will light the way.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Treasure Hunting]

"Wow, we're on the island! That's cool. I don't go here often."

Tuskfang's enthusiasm cools somewhat when he has to touch what did look like wasp's nest a moment before. After all, what if some wasps are still there? But then it starts looking like a lantern even without the lens. The little woblin looks between the other treasure hunters. Manja can't carry it because she's a kitten. Therefore...

"Carry the lantern, Lucy. It'll show us the way!"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Toby's Cabin

Allegedly Tobias Vulpan used to have a lab in GLoG. Though it closed down he still has a cabin there. At least allegedly. GLoG is pretty out of the way and private.
And still, Toby has a visitor, a short red-headed girl who goes straight to his cabin and knocks on the door. She's dressed formally and looks to be around twenty.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Treasure Hunting]

Unlike Khannie, Manja doesn't quite find this so breathtaking.
It's just an invisible bridge! Sure, Manja has never seen one before. But the fact that she's seeing one right now is evidence that they're all over the place. In fact, her parents have probably seem a million of them. The daycare people have probably seen at least a dozen, too. See? That's at least a million and twelve invisible bridges that have been seen before. All over the place.
Besides, it's invisible. Can't see it. Manja 'hasn't seen' a lot of things before.

It is fun to walk on, of course.

Yeah, she's not interested in the old papery beehive. Maybe if there were bees in it, it would be really exciting, but....
Manja turns away from it and decides to entertain herself with the invisible bridge again. It's, like, looking down and she can see the ground but it's not right below her! That's kinda like swimming except not cold.

The kitten hops around, waiting for everyone else to finish whatever they want to do with the weird dead bees.

[Riftline: An Angel and Me]

The pixie in the birdhouse waves goodbye to the angel.

June takes the ring. She looks at it, and puts it on her left hand.

She looks back up in the tree, trying to find the other pixie. She jumps up and grabs one of the branches, and starts to pull herself upwards. "Jolene?"
She looks around the branches.
"Found you." Her mouth opens into a smile.

The pixie, Jolene, sighs loudly (well, loudly for such a tiny person), and flies out of the tree. She lands on June's shoulder, and lies down. "Uuaghhh. Nnnnfgh. Okay, you win," the pixie says.

"And?"

"Fine, I'm sorry."

"...And?"

The pixie looks around, and notices Marianne. "And who's the ladylove?"

"She's an angel."

The pixie groans again and flails her legs.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[An Angel And Me]

glop!

Marianne reaches out and attempts to snatch up the pixie, scowling at her. "You call that an apology?" She demands. "After all the nasty stuff you said to her? What the hell is wrong with you?!"

Evidently, Marianne is not too familiar with how pixies work. Either that, or this was a way more sensitive subject than she'd initially let on.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Treasure Hunting]

Lucy gleefully stomps her way across the entirety of the bridge, the ripples offering her more than enough entertainment. She's slightly out of breath once they reach the other side, but that definitely doesn't slow her. She comes up behind Tuskfang and is about to ask what he's looking at when the lantern if revealed. "Cooool!"

She picks up the lantern at Tuskfang's encouragement, not that she needs much. "It's pretty. Do we gotta light it?" She's familiar with the concept of a lantern, and that they have fire inside. But do they have any fire with them?
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Treasure Hunting]

Stomping on the bridge IS pretty cool.

Khannie maybe indulges as well, just a little bit.

And when the lantern appears! Wow! That's just... something else, isn't it? "It kinda reminds me of the box the treasure was in," Khannie comments, appreciating the artisan work. "The blue part was lighter on the box, though. Like daytime sky instead of night time."

She gives a little snort.

"I guess that makes this one a night light, right?"

Oh lawd what a terrible pun.

Zebes is a bad influence.

"Maybe? It doesn't look lit up right now. Maybe it's got batteries? Has it got a switch or something?"
Khannie ventures as Lucy takes the lantern and begins fiddling with it. In the course of looking at it from different angles, as the lantern passes between Lucy's face and the sun high up in the sky, the dryadeer will notice a subtle dimming followed by the lantern itself suddenly lighting up with bright warm sunshine!

Given that Lucy is looking right at it the shine might leave her seeing spots for a moment.

And while Lucy might find herself blinking two very important things happen in reaction to the lantern's shine.

First?

It illuminates a regular old map on the map. The sort that shows tunnels, maybe? With a little dotted line leading to an X.

Second?

The side of the huuuuge boulder in the middle of the island just sort of... dissolves away. Revealing the fabled and mysterious werecave of Glog!

"WOAH! The cave is real!" Khannie gasps. She was pretty sure the older kids had just made it up!
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Treasure Hunting]

"I think you need fire to light up a lantern. But we're not supposed to play with fire."

However, this deliberation is cut short when magic starts happening.

"Wow! I thought someone made it up! Is the treasure inside? The map kinda looks like tunnels now."
FireFox
Pronouns: He/She

Post by FireFox »

Keeper wrote: Jan 03, 2023 2:41 am Toby's Cabin

Allegedly Tobias Vulpan used to have a lab in GLoG. Though it closed down he still has a cabin there. At least allegedly. GLoG is pretty out of the way and private.
And still, Toby has a visitor, a short red-headed girl who goes straight to his cabin and knocks on the door. She's dressed formally and looks to be around twenty.
[Toby's Cabin]

The door is flung open dramatically, revealing a man in a bloodstained labcoat. He's got wild red hair with black triangular ears poking out the top, stormy blue eyes, a "it's 5 o'clock somewhere" shadow of rust colored stubble on his cheeks, and a big fluffy fox tail (black with a white brush) peeking around his back. He looks at his visitor in disappointment, clearly expecting someone other than a... short... red-headed girl... "Oh no. NOPE. I see where this is going. Stick out your tongue and keep your mouth open for a sec."
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Toby's Cabin

The girl blinks. "Uh. Do you? Um..." She hesitantly does as instructed but this does seem pretty weird. Is he trying to check her temperature or something out here on the doorstep? And what's with all the blood, was he just operating on someone?
FireFox
Pronouns: He/She

Post by FireFox »

[Toby's Cabin]

Toby Vulpan makes a cotton swab appear with slight of hand and sticks it right into his visitor's mouth, rolling it around the inside of her cheek before pulling it out and holding it up to the sunlight. He glares at it suspiciously. "We're not going to have any suspense about this. Gonna get right to the bottom. Rule it out and move on with the narrative. Tell me about your parents."
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Toby’s Cabin

The girl folds her arms, starting to get annoyed. What does that have to do with anything?
”My name’s Zulie Cailean. I was raised in the Riverside Cailean Orphanage.”
Oops. That isn’t actually helpful to answer Toby’s question.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[An Angel and Me]

The pixie gets glopped and snatched. She doesn't really struggle because, well, there's no point. Not really anything she could do against someone with hands so big.

She looks at the enormous angel. "Hey ladylove, I already said sorry, okay?" she argues, probably missing Marianne's point. "What more do you want me to do? Tie up my legs? Tear my own wings off? Go into the briar patch?"

The pixie sticks her tongue out in protest at the angelic giant.
Honestly, in this situation, there's not really much more she can do other than wait.

The woman, June, doesn't say anything.

[Treasure Hunting]

Manja is glad one of them lit the lantern.
She's not sure which of them did it because she wasn't paying attention, but it's still good that one of them did it. It probably was Lucy since she's holding it, but it maybe Khannie's pun did it. Or, with the magic spyglass thing, it could have been Tuskfang. But one of them definitely did it, and Manja mentally reminds herself to reward whichever one of them did it as soon as she finds out who did it.

She looks back around...and notices the rock is gone!

Manja runs up to where the rock was.
She reaches out and tries to carefully tap and swipe at the rock's former position with her paw.
Gotta check, just in case it's just like that bridge and is actually an invisible rock.
Somebody's got to do it while everyone else is discussing what to do next.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[An Angel And Me]

"You could act like you actually mean it." Marianne chastises the pixie. "Tell her what you did wrong, and that you aren't going to do it again. Or else it's not really an apology." She gives the pixie a very light squeeze, which is probably still quite a bit for the much smaller pixie.

"Or, failing that, what was the other outcome to this game?" The angel reminds her, licking her lips.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[An Angel and Me]

"No, don't throw me into the briar patch!" the pixie says after coughing and recovering from being squeezed.

But she reacts differently when Marianne threatens her with that other outcome.
She looks over at June, her eyes pleading for rescuing.

June just smiles.

The pixie's eyes start watering. And she says, "I'm so sorry for calling you boring," she says, "and I promise I'll never comment on your weight again."