GLoG

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: GLoG

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

Being called "master" dragon feels both patronizing and nice to Kol. Maybe it's draconic pride. Maybe he's just a thirteen year old who likes adults showing him respect. So he's probably being flattered but he's not going to say no.
"Well, okay. I guess I don't mind going far enough to give you at least something. Or until you run out of things to write down." At the rate dice games go for him the latter is very possible.
He starts shaking his cup again.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[By the Lake]

"No need." Braeg smiles. "This will be the last round, one way or another. I'll have to be on my way. I'm meeting with one of my children soon." He picks up the parchment and waves it tantalizingly in front of Kol. "...Have you ever wondered, master dragon, why you're so lucky? Surely, it's not the result of superstition and confirmation bias."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

Kol tilts his head as he considers the question.”Folks at my school consider it part of being a Protagonist or something. Some people have it. Like how some people hit their teens and find out they’re werewolves.”
Being lucky is a better deal than finding out something like that.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[By the Lake]

Braeg chuckles. "Half right, I suppose. There's more to it than that." The fiendling rests his chin on his wrists and looks up at Kol. "Much more. But, before we get to that, tell me... you've never felt right sleeping indoors, have you? It just doesn't seem right. Doesn't seem natural. Sure, you can fit in there, but you don't fit in, do you?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

Kol squirms. How does this greasy guy know that? Is it a dragon thing? But no, that’s been true about him forever.
”…it’s gotten me into trouble before.” like when he ended up in that spooky forest because he fell asleep in the campus park.
”The school told me it might be a little claustrophobia and gave me a big single room to myself with a big skylight to let the moonlight in.”
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[By the Lake]

"And that's when it started feeling right again, isn't it?" Braeg chuckles. "On the subject of feeling right... you've always enjoyed moonlit walks along the beach, haven't you? Something comforting about it. Remind you of walking with your mother, perhaps?" He strokes his beard, waiting for Kol to internalize the question a bit before continuing. "And I'll bet you've always disliked being told what to do. More so than others your age. Even if it's something you wanted to do anyway. Does that sound about right?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

”I never knew my mother.” Kol snaps. That sounds like a nerve might have been struck. He remembers…a vague loving feeling. But nothing concrete about her. He was just too little, clearly.
”Um. I dunno. Maybe?” he hasn’t really self reflected about this sort of thing.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[By the Lake]

"...No. I imagine you wouldn't have." Braeg's smile falters as his hand falls onto his cup. "...But I did."

The fiendling grips the top of the cup and lifts it, slamming it onto the table next to him... revealing a perfect roll. A one, a three, a four, and a six. Something Kol could never beat, within the rules of the game.

Braeg gives him a small, sympathetic smile. "...A shame." He croons, retrieving his parchment and folding it in half again.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

bc56 wrote: Oct 23, 2022 8:45 pm Cabin Confrontation
"Not really. They're, uh, not really able to come back. They're not alive, they'd need to be revived and, uh, given bodies, and usually that means, uh, turning them into demons." That's one problem. "And there are millions of them. Too many to just release on the world." Sekhmet has apparently thought this through.
Cabin Confrontation

Anika rubs her chin as considers this for a moment but her thoughts are moving in a completely direction than Sekhmet's it seems.

"So... they're ghosts." She concludes. "But then how do you torture them then? Can ghosts feel pain? Since I thought it was holy energy that caused them, uh, distress." A beat. "Also, do you decide who gets to your hell? Since there is like... a lot of people that die every day."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

Kol frowns and lifts his cup to reveal…
The exact same roll.
”Huh. So I guess we go again?” he asks. That’s good. He wants to know what the man is getting at!
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[By the Lake]

Braeg raises an eyebrow and smirks. "Somehow, that doesn't strike me as a particularly productive avenue." He chortles, unfolding his parchment and setting it within reach of Kol. "I would be satisfied if we simply both claimed our winnings and left it at that."

The fiendling lets out a little groan as he leans back against his stump, waving his hand idly. "I suppose you'll be wanting yours, first. Yes, I knew your mother. Her name is Adea, and she is- well, was- a figure of some significance back in my world. The greatest possible significance, in fact. Your mother was a goddess. The goddess. Creator of all things, and their caretaker. A being without equal, save for her husband, Absum." Braeg gives Kol a little nod. "...Which would make you, master dragon, a Thamar. Or an angel, if you would prefer."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

Kol stands there blinking. I mean really. How exactly does a thirteen-year-old respond to being told by Literally Some Guy they met ten minutes ago telling them that they've identified them as an angelic demigod?
"Preeeeeetty sure you got the wrong guy. I've only been a dragon for a month." Kol hands over his paper, which says as much.
"And I'm pretty sure angels aren't big purple dragons." Fins aren't really a look associated with angels.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[By the Lake]

"Normally, they're pink." Braeg replies with a completely straight face, claiming the parchment and setting it aside. "But that is neither here nor there. Understand that this is not speculation on my part; I was there the day you were born. I needed only a few minor tests to confirm your identity, master Kol. You have... grown, since the last time we met. Nigh on eleven years ago, to the day. Forgive me for not recognizing you sooner."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Cabin Confrontation
Sekhmet nods. "Not exactly ghosts, but something similar. And, uh, yes, they do feel pain. But existing in that state is already a form of torture." She shakes her head to the next question. "It's not my place to judge the dead, just to, uh, administer punishment."
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

Pink?! What kind of dragon is pink?
Completely ignore that Kol's fins and wing-membranes are notably pink and his belly is a much lighter color than the rest of him. He's a very serious colored dragon.
"I think my grandparents would have told me if someone like you was visiting me in Kunani. Don't think you can convince me of such a crazy story without any proof." And Kol was in Kunani for as long as he can remember so it's not like there was any place before that. Well. Kol knows his grandparents aren't actually his grandparents but he couldn't be from some whole other plane...
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[By the Lake]

"You have a birthmark under the shoulder of your left wing. It's under your scales, nobody would have ever noticed it." Braeg steeples his fingers. "You have a second one in the heel of your back right claw. And a third in... well, we'll be polite and say 'near your tail'." The fiendling smiles. "They were much more glaring before your scales grew in properly. It would have been difficult to not notice."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

Kol does not seem any more convinced, though he does poke himself in those places a few times. Well, he tries. His legs aren't shaped the right way to go scratching his shoulders or backside.
"But I've only been a dragon for a month! I even told you that. My wings didn't exist eleven years ago." See, your idea is dumb Mister Lesser Wood. Dumb!
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[By the Lake]

"You only knew you were a dragon for a month." Braeg waves his hand, once again laying an enchantment; this time, directly onto Kol. It takes surprisingly little effort on his part; all he needs to do is give the now-dormant spirit in charge of keeping Kol's identity secret a little nudge...

And it's right back to doing its job. Though the experience of transforming back from a dragon into a teenage boy might not be especially pleasant.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

The sound that follows is not particularly pleasant, and from Kol now curled up on the beach moaning it was definitely not pleasant for him. At all.
Also unless Braeg plans on conjuring some clothes for him that's also a problem. It's cold when you're not a giant mythical monster in October.
"Ooooooowwww."
Yeah he doesn't have any witty retort for that one. His everything hurts.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[By the Lake]

Conjure? No.

But Braeg's cloak is rather explicitly made to handle the weather, whatever form that might take. And the fiendling wastes no time in getting it over Kol's shoulders, before crouching in front of him to address him properly.

"Now do you believe?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

"Maybe a little." Kol moans, clearly still hurting.
"But...why?" there's a lot of why's going through his head. Like why was he sent to Kunani in disguise? Was it because his mom...died? Who is this guy anyway who was (according to himself) hanging out with a goddess' kids and visiting him at least once?
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[By the Lake]

"Why what? Why disguise you as a human? Why aren't you with the other Thamar? Why choose now to reveal it to you?" Braeg stands back up and rolls his shoulders. "I'll give you a moment to gather your thoughts. Then we can discuss this properly."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

bc56 wrote: Oct 24, 2022 1:15 pm Cabin Confrontation
Sekhmet nods. "Not exactly ghosts, but something similar. And, uh, yes, they do feel pain. But existing in that state is already a form of torture." She shakes her head to the next question. "It's not my place to judge the dead, just to, uh, administer punishment."
Cabin Confrontation

"Okay, so whoever or whatever is making that judgement is your boss then? Also, kind of a dick?" Since if just existing like that was torture, did you really add a hell on top of it? "Like, do you guys even get something out of torturing them?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

"Well...all of those things, yes." Kol slowly sits up, wrapping the cloak around him.
"I feel like if I was that important a fishing town isn't where I'd be. In another dimension. And it's not like you were around since you were there. Or Absum." He can't really blame Adea considering she's apparently dead.
Man.
He kind of already had assumed that his parent(s) were dead but it's really not great to hear.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[By the Lake]

"I see. Well, how do I put this?" Braeg sits on the stump and strokes his beard for a moment, before letting out a little "ah". "Well, I suppose there's no delicate way to go about it. You're not with the other Thamar because you were a mistake."

krakoom! Goes a dramatic peal of thunder, right on cue.

"You see, your creation was... something of a scandal. Properly speaking, you aren't a full-blooded Thamar like other dragons. You're half-and-half; the creator goddess on one side, and a mortal on the other. And, as I'm certain you can infer, not the product of the blessed union between Adea and her husband." Braeg clasps his hands together to punctuate the statement. "Your mother thought it best to not risk a confrontation over the matter. So she had me, one of her most devoted servants, dress you up as a human and bring you to another world. I chose a fishing village because you had already shown an affinity for the seaside, and so that if your mother ever wished to visit you, it would be trivial for her to do so."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

By the Lake

Wow yeah that's a great way to get a good look at very upset teenager.
"Great. Thanks. How does the disguise work? I need to know." that's it. He just kind of pouts and asks a practical question. There's way too much happening to get a proper well thought out response. AND it looks like it's about to rain out of nowhere.
"pretty sure when you're a goddess any union is blessed." Yeah that's definitely the rule-breaking side of...actually that could come from either of his parents.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[By the Lake]

Khannie had left her spellbook laying open on a large flat rock near the lake shore. There's a pretty good chance that Kol had found it and that's why he's waiting around there.

Because if Khannie's spellbook is sitting around that means she's going to come back eventually, right?

But...

Where is she?

Well...

That's kind of embarrassing.

And none of your business!

So! It's right about the time of the thunderclap that the zoroark leaving the woods JUMPS at the sudden sound before peering skyward. What the heck was THAT about? There aren't any thunder clouds around so where did-

Then she spies THAT GUY.

And someone else? The someone else doesn't really click in her head. Not from this distance anyway.

With a whisper Khannie calls the shadows to herself, darkness peeling out of the forest and wrapping her in the guise of a human girl. Once she's properly garbed she begins stomping down hillside toward the lake. As soon as she's in shouting distance she absolutely does so.

"LORD BUTTFACE!"

Braeg is indicated with an accusative finger point.

"What the heck are YOU doing here? Did you decide to harass me HERE now, too? I already TOLD you I don't care about your stupid soul magic. Go bug someone else."

In the midst of her glaring at Braeg her eyes flick to the kid. He seems...

Kind of familiar?

Does he go to PREP or something?
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Cabin Confrontation
Sekhmet shakes her head. "They don't really experience the full awfulness of Hell. That's reserved for demons... Much of it is because of demons." She sighs. "They say misery loves company, and, uh, that's sort of how most demons operate. The more souls they can drag down to torment in Hell, the better."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Cabin Confrontation

"Okay? But like, what do you get from that? Pleasure or something? Like, what's your motivation? Since you must have given up something to just be able to just... stop that." Or so Anika figured, trying to apply reason to this madness.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Cabin Confrontation
"Power. Uh, both magical power from the consumption of souls and social power from being good at your 'job.'" Sekhmet explains. "It's a deeply, uh, flawed system, one I want to do away with. I would rather have a constructive society than a destructive one."