Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
FireFox
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/She

Re: GLoG

Post by FireFox »

[Toby's Cabin]

"I'm sorry to hear that,"
Toby says very sincerely yet unspecifically. He twirls the DNA swab around his fingers like a pencil and burns it to ash in two seconds with a flicker of magic. "Then what brings you here, Ms. Cailean?"
Forum Foxperson Funder

Characters

Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Toby's Cabin

Zulie tries to recover, giving a look of utmost confidence as she puts her hands to her hips.
"I'm here-" she points dramatically at Toby's chest, "as your newest apprentice!"
She was told that if you wanted a job you had to show confidence!
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[An Angel and Me]

"Much better." Marianne says, releasing her grip on the pixie and holding up her hand to act as a safe platform instead. "Much, much better. As long as you can keep that promise, at least." She flashes June a little smile and blows on the pixie; she probably did some amount of harm to the tiny fae's body just now, and she wants to remedy that while they're still in contact and her pain-killing touch is still in effect. Although it's probably going to look and feel a bit weird from an outside perspective. "She's all yours, June."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Treasure Hunting]

Lucy's giggles are interrupted by the lantern alighting. She blinks away the spots and lowers the lantern to eye level. "Huh? How does that work?" She doesn't even know what she did. She's so focused on the lantern that it takes the other speaking up to draw her to the other changes.

"Huh?! Cern told me about that one time, but I thought he was tricking me!" The girl approaches the entrance to see if she can see anything inside.
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Treasure Hunting]

"It's gotta be some sorta magic," Khannie concludes.

What else could it possibly be?

"The map LOOKS like the inside of a cave now, so that must be it. C'mon, let's go before Manja gets ahead of us."

For sure enough!

The kitten is already pawing at the entrance in that way cats do when they're trying to figure something out. And sure enough, the rock is gone! Mysteriously! No invisible rock. Just a not there rock. As our treasure hunters peer into the open mouth of the cave they'll find an interior of smooth, polished stone. Not the sort one finds in a natural cave at all. More like the sort of tunnel someone MADE and then went to the trouble of cleaning up so it looks nice.

There are pictures everywhere, carved into every wall. Pictures of people. Pictures of plants. Pictures of animals. Pictures of mountains and lakes and the stars above. Someone must have really liked carving pictures into rock because there are a WHOLE BUNCH of them. A little beyond the entryway the tunnel splits into THREE tunnels, each going off in a different direction.

Which, thankfully, Tuskfang's map shows. The dotted line follows the right-most tunnel further on.
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Treasure Hunting]

"This looks like a tunnel, not a cave," Tuskfang decides. He must act as the underground expert here, as a half-goblin. "It's smooth. It's like in Underside, where goblins cut the tunnels and caves out of the rock. Maybe the same people dug it who drew all those pictures." He peers at the map. "We gotta go that way."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Treasure Hunting]

"Oh wow, look at all of them!" Lucy rushes over the the nearest wall to example the pictures, moving quickly along in jerky motions as she briefly pauses at each one. Tuskfang's explanation prompts a fresh thought, though, and she turns from them to reply. "Oh! Maybe it connects to Underside! that'd be cool."
~Images by Soushiyo
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[An Angel and Me]

The pixie turns her head and closes her eyes as she gets breathed on, and holds up her hands to protect herself. "Aah, the grapes and candy canes are blinding me," she claims.
She opens her eyes once she realizes that there were no actual grapes.

As much as she tried to hold it back, a single laugh still manages to escape June. She holds a hand out next to Marianne's.

The pixie clears her throat, a little embarrassed, and brushes off her legs. She then walks over to the edge of Marianne's hand and hops over to June's. She starts walking up June's arm as if it's a runway (and June straightens out her arm to help with that), leaving little black footprints from the nightmarish gunk on June's hand.

"Thanks," June tells Marianne. "I guess this means I probably owe you one, right?"

Once the pixie reaches June's shoulder, she plops down and crosses her legs, and pouts. And then, June's face and everything starts to look more human-like...her hair turns more normal. Her hands seem to look just like normal hands, and then June removes her sunglasses and it's just...normal eyes. Greenish. She gives off less of a disquieting feel.
Of course, they didn't actually change. It's just the pixie using magic to disguise them all.
"Wow, it's dark out," June comments, as she hangs the sunglasses on her shirt. She blinks, then looks up towards the moon. "Late, too."

[Treasure Hunting]

Manja scoffs.
They all really are children, getting so excited over something that's just a hole in the ground, the kitten thinks.
But that's why they make good subjects. No, wait, knights. They're knights now. Do knights count as subjects? Probably, right? Horses count as subjects so why wouldn't knights count as subjects, too? But which one of them is which knight? One of them has to be her blood knight and one has to be her death knight, but then what kind of knight would Tuskfang be? She'll have to ask her father what other kinds of knights there are, too...oh, wait! Magical knight, that's probably the kind Tuskfang is since he made the invisible bridge appear. Plus, he knows a lot about holes which is just more evidence in favor of that.
While pondering such mysteries of the universe, Manja has to admit that it has been pretty fun so far. And holes are pretty cool. Best day at the daycare so far.

Once she's sufficiently verified that the rock is actually gone and not just invisible, she chases after them into the tunnel.
It's kind-of like HALO, she figures, except you can't see fish through the walls. It's unfortunate, Manja thinks, since there's a lot of potential, with the lake and everything.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Treasure Hunting]

Tuskfang might be reminded of the pictures carved into the walls of the dorf fortress nearby, though the style is clearly and radically different. Where the dorf carvings are mostly straight lined and angular these pictures are flowing, full of dramatic coils and curves.

It isn't immediately clear if the pictures are supposed to tell some kind of story, but if they do it appears to be a bit inscrutable.

Our heroes head down the tunnel Tuskfang indicated, the light from Lucy's lantern illuminating the way. According to the map the tunnel will lead to a big round room and then they just have to walk across it and down another short tunnel and that's where the treasure will be!

The map makes the walls of the round room look kind of spiky. It isn't long before the treasure hunters find out why.

They just stepped into a giant geode, the lantern light sending ten thousand defracted rainbows dancing through the shadows. A raised walkway stands high above the glittering floor far below, leading to a central platform at the geode's heart. Atop a pedestal stands... a torch? Maybe a crown? The top of a scepter? Something. Something that looks like it could be lit.

"Oh my gosh this is so cool," Khannie breaths. "Oh hey hold on."

She holds her arms up to prevent the kids from just rushing in. "Stay right in the middle okay? This bridge thing hasn't got any guard rails and it's a long way down."

She's going to make sure everyone stays safe! No kids falling off the bridge on her watch.
Last edited by Rebonack on Jan 10, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Thursday Violist wrote: Jan 09, 2023 9:40 pm [An Angel and Me]

The pixie turns her head and closes her eyes as she gets breathed on, and holds up her hands to protect herself. "Aah, the grapes and candy canes are blinding me," she claims.
She opens her eyes once she realizes that there were no actual grapes.

As much as she tried to hold it back, a single laugh still manages to escape June. She holds a hand out next to Marianne's.

The pixie clears her throat, a little embarrassed, and brushes off her legs. She then walks over to the edge of Marianne's hand and hops over to June's. She starts walking up June's arm as if it's a runway (and June straightens out her arm to help with that), leaving little black footprints from the nightmarish gunk on June's hand.

"Thanks," June tells Marianne. "I guess this means I probably owe you one, right?"

Once the pixie reaches June's shoulder, she plops down and crosses her legs, and pouts. And then, June's face and everything starts to look more human-like...her hair turns more normal. Her hands seem to look just like normal hands, and then June removes her sunglasses and it's just...normal eyes. Greenish. She gives off less of a disquieting feel.
Of course, they didn't actually change. It's just the pixie using magic to disguise them all.
"Wow, it's dark out," June comments, as she hangs the sunglasses on her shirt. She blinks, then looks up towards the moon. "Late, too."
[An Angel And Me]

"Not at all!" Marianne grins, giving a little "it's nothing" wave. "I'm just glad I could help, and that everything turned out okay for everyone involved." She stops for a moment and gasps onto her hand, giving it a quick sniff in an effort to glean if her breath really did smell like grapes and candy canes. She's getting a lot of the latter, at least, but that might just be her toothpaste and... oh, gosh, she hasn't eaten in two days. She didn't realize that until just now; she's been too busy to sit down to a meal, and hasn't really been getting hungry anyway. At least she doesn't need to worry about starving or anything like that.

You know what? This seems like as good a time as any.

"How about we go grab a bite of something to celebrate?" Marianne asks, jerking her thumb over her shoulder toward the kitchens. "Hot dogs, maybe? I'm feeling hot dogs."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Treasure Hunting]

"It would be! I could visit my cousins any time and bring my friends." Tuskfang's tail wags energetically at the prospect. His rambling is interrupted when they enter the geode. "Wooow. This is so pretty. I've never seen anything like it in Underside. Let's go to the centre!" It's a good thing Khannie is here, because otherwise his enthusiasm might cause him to be less than cautious.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[An Angel and Me]

Two days is quite a bit of time to not eat.

June nods, and looks over at the building Marianne's pointing. "Sure, I haven't eaten since this morning," she says.
The fairy on her shoulder opens her mouth and starts to say something, but then suddenly notices Marianne's mouth and remembers the promise she made. She suddenly shuts up.

"Hotdogs are pretty good with cornmeal, if they've got that I could steam some for it too," she says.

Sadly, we'll likely never find out if the GLoG kitchens actually have cornmeal or not, since any future scenes will have to wait until both players are less busy.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Treasure Hunting]

Hopefully the others don't mind the jittery lighting as Lucy skitters along, but it sure won't impede them from reaching their destination. What was that again? Lucy kinda forgets. Especially when she sees the fancy room!

"Wowee!" The girl exclaims. She's about to hurry on in when Khannie gives her safety warning. "Oh, yeah okay I'll stay close. Can we go in???"
~Images by Soushiyo
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Treasure Hunting]

Manja was too busy looking at all the dancing rainbow lights all over everywhere to bother rushing straight in. They looked pretty cool on the wall, and made her want to count how many she could catch.

But, she notices Khannie gave a secret signal.
A super-secret signal!
It's pretty clear she was trying to just send a message to Manja without making the other two too worried.
Between the way she moved her arms and the fact that her arms were high enough to block the other two without blocking the way for Manja.

She gives a confident 'miau' to show Khannie that she understood the message:
They need someone small and lightweight to test the bridge first. And, being a cat, Manja is the smallest and most lightweight of them all.

And Khannie can't tell the others to move on forward until it's verified that it's safe. So she has to be fast at checking it, and this is no time to get distracted by all the lights scurrying around the walls and floors.
Manja runs between their legs onto the walkway, going straight down it to the other side. And once there, she starts circling around the pedestal to make sure it's safe.
Just like (she thinks) Khannie wanted.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Treasure Hunting]

Okay, cool.

The little kids listened to Khannie's warning and it sure LOOKS like they're going to-

Aah heck Manja just went running across the bridge thing.

Well. Okay she's a cat though. So she's probably a little more sure footed than the other two kids. Still, not GREAT.

"Yeah we can go. C'mon, you two hold onto my hands okay?" Khannie says, reaching out to take one hand of each of the kids (leaving one for lantern holding and one for lens holding) while she tucks the map under her arm. No way she's just going to let them go running across the bridge without hanging onto them.

That would be irresponsible.

Our heroes make their way across the bridge, soon meeting Manja on the other side. Obviously the kitten did a great job of... cat stuff. Or whatever it was she was doing. The pedestal at the center of the geode awaits them, bearing its weird little crown torch sconce or whatever it is. Khannie pulls out the map again and unrolls it, peering at the thing.

"It looks like the treasure's on the room on the other side of that wall there," Khannie says, pointing at the glittering patch of crystals across from them. "But it doesn't look like there's any way to get over there. Dunno if trying to climb down is a good idea since those crystals look REALLY sharp."

If they tried walking on them they might get poked!

That would be terrible.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Treasure Hunting]

It's good that Khannie is there and helps them observe safety precautions, because Tuskfang is bursting with excitement.

"Maybe this will reveal the way," he says, poking the sconce. "But it looks like we need to light it."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Treasure Hunting]

Lucy happily accepts Khannie's hand, especially if that means going into the room! Wow it's even cooler from the middle! She does one spin around to see it all before she focuses! First thing, she raises the lantern to give everyone better light.

"This thing's gotta be the way to open the way." She points out what seems obvious. The thingy on the pedestal! "Maybe it's a button or a switch or something." She reaches out to poke at it.
~Images by Soushiyo
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Treasure Hunting]

Tuskfang is right! Manja thinks.
Yeah, they definitely need to light it.

It only takes her a few moments to connect between lighting it and lighting the lantern that was done earlier.
Of course! she thinks. They just need to light it the same way.
She's still not entirely sure which of the three of them lit the lantern, but she's guessing it was Lucy since she's still the one holding the lantern.

As a way of telling Lucy that she needs to light it the same way she lit the lantern, the cat walks up to Lucy's leg and tries to rub her neck and side against the leg. Yes, definitely, Lucy poking it will almost certainly ignite it or something.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Treasure Hunting]

Tuskfang and Lucy both begin poking the torch sconce. It feels cool to the touch, like one might expect from iron that's been underground in a cave for a long time. There aren't any obvious buttons to push and prodding the torch doesn't do anything obvious.

But then!

Manja rubs on Lucy's leg!

Should Tuskfang glance down at the kitty he'll spy out of the corner of his eye through the lens that there's more pictures on the otherwise blank pedestal! Three of them in fact. One showing the abstract shape of a person placing something round (like the lantern) on top of the torch. The second shows what looks like a bridge leading away from the platform. The third shows the person picking up the round thing again.

"This is definitely some kinda puzzle," Khannie reasons, rubbing her chin in thought. "Usually the way this stuff works is you gotta use the tools you've found so far on the adventure to solve 'em."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Treasure Hunting]

"We're great at solving puzzles. We'll get it done in no time!" Tuskfang feels brilliant and unstoppable right now. "I see some clues here through the glass. Lucy, you need to put the lantern on this thingy."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Treasure Hunting]

"Huh? You think so?" Without offering much substantial doubt toward Tuskfang's suggestion, Lucy reaches the lantern arm forward instead and deposits it on top. Then she watches expectantly, maybe shooting Tuskfang a glance if nothing happens immediately.
~Images by Soushiyo
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Treasure Hunting]

Oh!
Puzzle Knight!
That's what kind of knight Tuskfang can be, Manja thinks.

She looks up at everyone else.
Then down at the floor, then at the thing, then at the other thing.
Manja hopes this works.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Treasure Hunting]

Lucy puts the lantern on the thingy.

The reaction is...

Something else.

To say the least.

The glow within the lantern is drawn into the torch and thus the light of the sun blooms withing the geode. It was a bit dim before, but now the whole interior is lit up with radiant glow, the crystals sing with an unearthly melody at the caress of the light as rainbows shimmer across every surface. Rainbows that gather and weave, forming a jeweled bridge arcing from the platform to the hole in the geode's far wall.

And to the treasure.

Khannie takes a moment must the will to move, stuck by awe as she is. This whole trip has just been... indescribably beautiful. She scoots forward and cautiously tests the rainbow bridge with her toe.

"Yeah, this one's solid too. We're good," she says. Unlike the PREVIOUS bridge this one DOES have guardrails; little motes of light glittering like stars.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Treasure Hunting]

Tuskfang is breathless at first, then claps his hand and squeals happily. This is just getting better and better.

"This is so cool! Cern and Gwydion and Zabb aren't gonna believe us! Let's go!"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Treasure Hunting]

Lucy flinches against the light, shielding her eyes with her arm. Only for a moment, though, and then she marvels along with the rest. "Wow wow wow, that's so pretty!" She giggles and follows right behind Tuskfang. She'sll be rushing right along that bridge if Khannie doesn't moderate them again, but it does have rails, so surely that's fine.
~Images by Soushiyo
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Treasure Hunting

Manja thought it looked better when it was just the lantern lighting the geode.
Sure, the rainbows are cool.
But the way the light danced and darted around was cooler than now when it just dazzles and shimmers.

The bridge is pretty cool, though.
She approves of it.

She just follows along, behind.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Treasure Hunting]

A melody thrums with every footstep, mysterious and beautiful. Mystery building to a crescendo as the treasure hunters step off the bridge and into the final chamber. A shaft of light streams down on a chest of familiar make, azure like a piece of the sky itself were fashioned into a work of artistry and decorated with gold filigree. Tuskfang and Khannie, certainly, will recognize the make of it. The box is just like the one they found on the LAST treasure hunt; the hunt that lead them to the map they just followed.

This is it!

The treasure at long last!

But!

There's a problem.

A scrabbling, skittering sound announces the problem as a great big muskrat black as night with luminous golden eyes scrambles atop the chest! He stands on his hind legs, crosses his little rat arms, and then SPEAKS!

"This is MY treasure!" the rat declares. "I got to it first, so you had better just go back the way you came!"

Oh no! Someone beat them to it! Manja was right all along, those muskrats were up to no good!
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Treasure Hunting]

Tuskfang's brow furrows and his fur stands up in indignation. This isn't fair! After everything they've been through to find the treasure?

"How did you even get here? Or know it's here? We solved all those puzzles to find the treasure!"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Treasure Hunting]

"Wait, how can you talk?" Lucy asks. Not that she's unfamiliar with the idea of talking animals, but most animals still don't!
~Images by Soushiyo
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Treasure Hunting]

A rat!

And it's a pretty big one, too.

And there's no water for it to swim into.

Manja catches up to the others. She then slinks around, to get behind the chest. She crouches, then gets ready to pounce, and....
Pounce!
She jumps up, trying to bite onto the large rat's tail.