GLoG

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: GLoG

Post by Keeper »

A Delivery

Yeah that's the response she gets a lot.
"Oh no. I'm just here to make a medicine delivery from HALO. I'm the doctor's assistant and I needed some air and sun."
"I don't really have my own actual house. The fourth tower gave me a place to stay for the most part. They're like...magic researchers."
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Keeper wrote: Jun 07, 2023 11:11 pm A Delivery

Yeah that's the response she gets a lot.
"Oh no. I'm just here to make a medicine delivery from HALO. I'm the doctor's assistant and I needed some air and sun."
"I don't really have my own actual house. The fourth tower gave me a place to stay for the most part. They're like...magic researchers."
A Delivery

"Oh." A beat.
So this wasn't fey town then? And why would a fey be living with 'magic researchers'? Unless they were studying her of course...
"So how come a fey came to be living with those guys then? I thought you guys had a magical world of your own in the treetops." She gestures at the nearby forest.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: Any

Post by quillpleasant »

Finding GLoG
Morty wrote: Jun 07, 2023 9:57 pm "We don't charge for help. We're a charity." Good thing they didn't inquire too much about spirits. It's not a topic Reelshka is strong on, despite being married to a shaman. Charity business is what she deals with. "We do take donations from those who can afford them. If you can't, but want to repay us, helping out is welcome as well."
Shadowcaller wrote: Jun 07, 2023 10:18 pm "A... charity." Raheeda knew what the concept of charity was but this was a bunch of people just doing that?
Sounded suspicious. Yet still... "Okay, I guess I can donate a soap." She reaches into her robes and pulls out exactly that and hands it to Reelshka with a grin, not that the goblin can see that. "I've only used it like three times."

She digs further into her robes and pulls out four copper coins. "Oh and these." She puts them on-top of the bar of soap. "Is that enough of a donation?" Her hand is reaching back into her pocket in case it wouldn't be enough. Since she had plenty of stuff in there.
"A charity, huh?" Harley rolls the word around in his mouth as if trying it out. "So you just help people for free? That's kind of... something I really need to do. So I'd love to help out if I can."

As Raheeda offers up the soap and coins, Harley can't help but laugh, which comes out as more of a pained wheeze. He winces as his sides shake. "Raheeda, has anyone ever told you how funny you are? Without even trying?"
horses can attack and eat me
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jun 08, 2023 6:09 am A Delivery

"Oh." A beat.
So this wasn't fey town then? And why would a fey be living with 'magic researchers'? Unless they were studying her of course...
"So how come a fey came to be living with those guys then? I thought you guys had a magical world of your own in the treetops." She gestures at the nearby forest.
A Delivery

"Uh. No? I'm stuck here like everyone else for the rest of my life. There's some sort of astral realm I go to once my body's time runs out but I will be putting that off for as long as possible. Your home might have some other kind of fey."
And she's not even from the same place as the fey she currently is, which makes the whole thing rather confusing.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Delivery

"Oh. Well... you're the fey so you would probably know. But there's no kind of fey in my home. Since honestly? Your people kinda terrifies me." A beat.
"Uh, no offense of course. You're not really like any other fey I've met before anyway. Usually they're more... plant-y. Not serpent-y since that's our- um, a yuan-ti thing, y'know? There are those that look a lot like you but with a less, ah, human upper body."
She makes a vague gesture at Artie.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Delivery

"Oh, like the yu? I have been told of them but never met one. If I recall it is extremely unusual for my 'people' to manifest in the physical world so that's unsurprising. Of course that's assuming it could be the same people. In all likelihood it isn't."
Of course she says that, but she did get a burst of memory when the lady said the name of her people.
"You can call me Artesia, for the record."
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Finding GLoG]

Reelshka's ears dip and she's briefly at a loss for words.

"I... no, we don't accept used soap as donations. But the coins are welcome. And enough, thank you." Earth Queen knows what this woman would dig out of her pockets next. "But yes, that's what we do. It's not easy, but someone has to do it. We offer a place to people who have nowhere else to go."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Delivery

It wasn't really her fault that things went out of control. The humans just didn't behave in the way she had anticipated. Of course, that had also been a part of the experiment but...

It had started innocently enough. After taking control of a human body (the former owner was a powerful asshole so she was really doing them a favor) she began giving out small parts of her essence to those who wanted it. Blessings she called it since that was exactly what they were.
They granted longevity, resistance to disease, all sort of benefits really.
The only thing she asked for in exchange-
Okay, not as much asked as didn't mention, but each vial of essence was slightly modified to alter any offspring the person that consumed it produced. Not anything really noticeable. Everything was completely within the human spectrum. She was just interested in human beauty ideals and such. It wasn't like they were going to complain that she was to have their child meet their standards of beauty.

So should probably have told them about it.

Anyway, there had been some unforeseen consequences which only stressed the importance of her experiments really. She was doing truly groundbreaking work no orobou had slithered upon. So of course there would be surprises along the way. That's what experimenting is all about.
Since as it turned out, when two humans who had both consumed the essence reproduced it compounded within their offspring.

While those that had consumed the essence hadn't as much as grown scales a child between two that had did. It was nothing major and it was first seen as a blessing of sort. Which it was really considering the children would be just as healthy and long-lived as their parents. She even explained what had happened and suggested that they should try to find mates outside the social circle which surrounded her.

But did the humans listen? Well, some did.
Others did not.

And their grand-children were a more than a little altered. To the point where they often felt the need to hide from human society.
It only got worse from there, depending on your definition of the word.

"I'm-." A beat. "-hold on... uh..." Another pause, her gloved hand half outstretched as she was just about to offer it. "I'm Raheeda, a name which is still my property regardless how many times I might say it." She nods.

"But hey, maybe you're related to one of our- I mean, the yuan-ti's gods then? That'd be so cool if you were."

[Finding GLoG]

"You need plenty of soap when it comes to children though." Raheeda tries to defend her donation, since it was some good soap! She had bought it from a really fancy store. It even smelled good and children loved that kind of stuff. "But okay."

A beat.

"So can I have the soap back then?"

Then Harley starts laughing.
At her.
"Wh-what? I was just trying to make a donation."
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Finding GLoG

"Well, I certainly have nowhere to go. That I know of, at least."

Harley reaches over to give Raheeda's arm a reassuring pat. "Don't worry, I'm not making fun. I just think you're very sweet." Regardless of Raheeda's knowledge of social conventions, it's clear that from her perspective she was making a legitimate offer. It's refreshing after a lifetime of cynicism.

"Is there any upkeep for the wounds?" he asks the doctor, "Aside from trying to stay away from aggressive pirates, that is?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Delivery

"Oh, we don't do the name thing. That's different fey." Artie shakes her head.
She squints her eyes. "Hm. Yes, possibly something my predecessor got up to. Can't speak much for them." She decides not to give out too many Orobou secrets at the drop of a hat. "They apparently got up to many things, good or ill-advised."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Keeper wrote: Jun 11, 2023 12:52 am A Delivery

"Oh, we don't do the name thing. That's different fey." Artie shakes her head.
She squints her eyes. "Hm. Yes, possibly something my predecessor got up to. Can't speak much for them." She decides not to give out too many Orobou secrets at the drop of a hat. "They apparently got up to many things, good or ill-advised."
A Delivery

Oh yes.
That really takes her back.
Since during her trial it was revealed to her that in her absence the reverence the mortals had felt for her had formed into a god representing fertility and bloodlines.
Since at the time they had fully embraced the belief that they could improve their species by mating with those with desirable physical traits rather than for political or cultural gain. Well, she supposed it had cultural gain now. Either way, she couldn't say she had directly encouraged such a belief. Not directly at least. But as she had explained her experiments to a selected few she supposed she could see how such a belief had formed...

"Predecessor? Are you like a queen or something?" Raheeda looks Artie up and down, trying to see if she can spot any royal signifiers on the fey. Since it wouldn't be the first time she met a fey queen.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Finding GLoG]

"Yes, but we try to keep soap to be used by one person only. It's hygienic." She will hand Raheeda the soap back. "Here you go." Looking back to Harley, she says: "If you have nowhere else to go, you can stay here. We shelter many people like that."

"You should definitely avoid straining yourself for a while, yes." Doctor Jezzari explains this as she puts away her tools. "And ideally, you should come see me to replace the bandages and make sure the stitches are holding."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Finding GLoG

"Whose Hygienic?" Raheeda inquires, sounding a little confused as she stuffs the soap back into her pocket. Not sure if she had heard that right.
She gives Harley a nod as to acknowledge she hadn't taken any offense even if it felt like this conversation had gotten away from her somehow.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Finding GLoG

Harley nods eagerly at Reelshka's suggestion. "I don't believe I have anywhere else to go, so I'll take you up on that offer. For now, at least." He stretches gingerly, examining the dressings on his wounds. "Thanks doc, I'll definitely check back in. But this is already a whole lot better than before."

Sliding off the table, he drapes his coat loosely over his shoulders and turns to Raheeda. "Will you also be staying here? I wouldn't mind the company."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Finding GLoG]

Reelshka breathes out through her nose as Jezzari struggles not to laugh.

"Hygienic means healthy and clean. It's not healthy for multiple people to use the same soap."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jun 11, 2023 8:34 am A Delivery

Oh yes.
That really takes her back.
Since during her trial it was revealed to her that in her absence the reverence the mortals had felt for her had formed into a god representing fertility and bloodlines.
Since at the time they had fully embraced the belief that they could improve their species by mating with those with desirable physical traits rather than for political or cultural gain. Well, she supposed it had cultural gain now. Either way, she couldn't say she had directly encouraged such a belief. Not directly at least. But as she had explained her experiments to a selected few she supposed she could see how such a belief had formed...

"Predecessor? Are you like a queen or something?" Raheeda looks Artie up and down, trying to see if she can spot any royal signifiers on the fey. Since it wouldn't be the first time she met a fey queen.
A Delivery

Well that's just silly. She can't-
Oh right. The other mask. She could pull that sort of thing. In theory. Artie doesn't want to think about that too much.
"No, but there's only so many fey at once. Someone used to have my seat, and now I have it. It's complicated." Yeah better not give fey secrets to just anyone.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Finding GLoG]

Oh.
So Hygienic wasn't the only person in glog allowed to use soap?
It had made sense at the time. Like their chieftain or something.
"Wh- I mean, uh, that makes sense." She rubs the back of her her sheepishly until Harley distracts her. with his question.
"Y-yeah, we can stay here a while. Sure." A beat. "Just gotta find a good place to set up camp."

A Delivery

"But you're not sitting." Raheeda observers as she leans to the side as to assure that was indeed the case and Artie didn't have a chair glued to her butt or some weird fey stuff like that. "But that’s how royalty works isn't it? Like, there can't be two queens at once, or none at all. Always have to be one on the throne since there can't be more people on it unless they're sitting in one another's laps or..."

A beat.

"-and you also look like royalty." Another pause. "Uh, no offense meant."
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Jun 13, 2023 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Finding GLoG

"I wouldn't know much about soap either," says Harley diplomatically, "I always just used magic to stay clean, back when I had magic at least."

He yawns, lifting his hands to his face. "Honestly, give me a clear space on the ground and it's good enough for me. I'm just about dead on my feet anyway."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Finding GLoG]

Reelshka once more reminds herself to approach Raheeda like a child. Her own children make the wildest assumptions about things. It's normal.

"We'll offer you rooms in one of our cabins. They're humble, but we keep them clean and comfortable."

[Meeting of Mothers]

Sophie comes to GLoG again with her family. This includes Trick, who doesn't visit here often, and their sons, who have spent some time in the daycare by now. They're here to drop them off, but Sophie believes Trick should get familiar with the daycare in general.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Meeting of Mothers]

Sophie probably isn't expecting Braon to be here. Braon normally isn't here. If she could ever be said to trust anyone with her kids, she probably still wouldn't take them to the daycare, not since she rather rudely hexed Sakura.

And yet, here Braon is. Completely coincidentally. She's on a walk that takes her right past the daycare, followed by five large wooden ducks, waddling after her in a neat line. Each of the sculptures has a small space in the back, packed with blankets and pillows, that house one of her still-small infants as they move down the path. The ducks' heads bob up and down with the movement, letting out a little whistle at their peak, forming a steady, wordless tune, Braon's paces serving to keep rhythm while her mobile cradles play a little march behind her.

Braon stops when she sees Sophie, mentally debating whether to talk to her or move along a different way and pretend avoiding her was the plan all along.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Delivery

"That's besides the point. By some arguments, I am incapable of sitting due to the fact that I lack a proper posterior." She is, after all, just a very long tube from the waist down. With a little ball of rattle and feathers at the end.
She blushes a little at the royalty comment.
"Oh, nonsense. I just wanted to look nice. Maybe even a little fabulous. But that doesn't constitute royalty." she insists.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

[Meeting of Mothers]

Perhaps Braon could ignore Sophie, but what of the other woman she's with?

Trick is someone best described as lanky. She's tall and, while still fairly feminine, would be better described as handsome than pretty, with a long face made longer by her distractingly large horns. She has a red skin tone, though less red than their twin boys.

At the moment, she's wearing a pair of jeans and a button-up plaid shirt, pushing a stroller with both the boys in it, currently fast asleep.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Meowmai wrote: Jun 06, 2023 3:16 am [Birb Babysitting]

Silver was only too happy to let himself be pet, his tongue lolling out and his tail wagging. It wasn't long before the happy cub craned forwards, very enthusiastically attempting to lick Eshe's face.

"Nice to meet you both!" Kestrel beamed. "Oh, yeah, thanks, I'd like that." She paused, before adding. "Watchu doing with all those rocks, anyways? Building something?"
[Birb Babysitting]

Eshe giggles, not at all put off by the wolf drool. This only encourages her! Yeees, pet the doggo!

"Oh yeah, we're building a castle with them. We a spot with some clay too!" Orlane explains, her excitement for this project shining through. "Come on, Eshe, pick up your rocks." She encourages.

Eshe sighs, but relents and is forced to deprive Silver of pets to carry on this task. She scoops up her dropped stones so they can continue.

The girls lead the way, and it's not far. Just a bit around the bend of the bean shaped open area at the center of the camp and it's quite apparent. The colourful sign declaring it to be Sapling Cabin, is the big tell, but there's also outdoor toys scatters around a big trunk outside, plus a variety of children's drawings and crafts in the windows.

The two girls go to one side of the cabin's front face and dump the load of stones onto the grass. "This is our building spot." Orlane explains. She may have forgotten why Kes is here.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Meeting of Mothers]

Alas, Sophie quickly dashes any hopes of Braon avoiding her. She waves at the fiendling with... an odd amount of cheer.

"Braon! Taking your little ones out on a walk? Those are some amazing strollers."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Meeting of Mothers]

Ah, crud.

Braon forces a needly-toothed smile and gives the couple a little wave, the duck-strollers coming and forming a semi-circle behind her. "Oh, hi!" She says, in what could not be more transparently insincere cheer. "Fancy seeing you here."

Like Sophie isn't a member of staff she has to interact with on a regular basis.

...Although she has to admit, it is nice to be talking to someone who might actually appreciate her craftsmanship. Sure, her babies get all happy when mama walks out the ducks and starts helping them in, but they're not exactly hard to impress and tend to have more pressing matters on their minds sooner rather than later.

Braon winces as one of the babies in the strollers behind her suddenly starts fussing, prompting her to turn around and scoop her out of her stroller before she gets to building too much volume. "Shh... there, there, Niamh, mummy's got you..." She whispers to the baby as she turns to face Sophie and Trick again.

"Thank you. It took a lot of effort to get them just right." Braon smiles, a bit more sincerely, before turning back to Trick and...

Oh, she brought her own babies. So now there are seven potentially cataclysmic sources of ear-splitting screams within close proximity to her, and she can't actually do anything about a quarter of them. Lovely.

"...I take it this... pretty young thing is the other Missus Mouchabiere?" Braon asks, visibly straining to maintain a veneer of politeness.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

A Delivery

"Oh yeah, that's a good point. I honestly never considered that." Raheeda rubs the chin of her mask thoughtfully. "But if you're not royalty then what are you? A priestess maybe? Are there even fey religions?"

[Finding GLoG]

"Oh really?" A beat. "For free? Wow!"

She pauses for a moment. Seemingly considering the offer.

"So what are the rules for this place and how long could we stay?"
quillpleasant
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by quillpleasant »

Finding GLoG

Harley seems to share Raheeda's enthusiasm. "Cabins sound wonderful. I'm... not used to people being this helpful. Or trusting. So thank you." He coughs, clearly self conscious about the note of emotion in his voice.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Meeting of Mothers]

"Yeah, I'm Trick. You don't have to butter me up," the tiefling shifts around her own stroller to step into comfortable conversation range, "Sophie's the pretty one between us."

Something Braon may notice from this close is that Trick smells... weird. There's elements of chemical scent, cooking smells, and the distinct smells of magical portals, all mingled together around her. It's signs of her being a warlock and alchemist, though it's questionable whether Braon will be able to identify that.

At least Bertin and Janos are fast asleep.

"Figured I should visit the grounds. Haven't been here a lot," if she's noticed Braon's tenseness then she's polite enough not to react to it, instead maintaining a conversational air. She smiles at the way Braon holds Niamh, enjoying the sight.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jun 14, 2023 8:29 pm A Delivery

"Oh yeah, that's a good point. I honestly never considered that." Raheeda rubs the chin of her mask thoughtfully. "But if you're not royalty then what are you? A priestess maybe? Are there even fey religions?"
A Delivery

"Huh? I'm just the Chemist. I don't think fey have royalty. And we don't have religions since they already know how the world works. I'm told if I want to I could speak to a few angels. I don't plan on it, though."
Honestly they sound pretty unpleasant.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Meeting of Mothers]

Sophie sighs and shakes her head somewhat theatrically.

"I've spent years telling her she's just as pretty, but here we are." She's definitely acting differently than Braon is used to. She's... chipper. At ease and affectionate. "This is Braon Hexenborne, dear. One of the residents here. Who also had children very recently. Cain, Cathal, Tadhg, Ciara and Niamh." Perhaps to Braon's surprise, she points the quintuplets out correctly without hesitation. "And these are Janos and Bertin." She points to the two sleeping baby tieflings.

[Finding GLoG]

"For free, yes." Reelshka smiles slightly, her ears perking up. "We're going to need your names for administrative purposes. And we obviously expect you not to disturb the other residents, especially the children in the daycare."