GLoG

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: GLoG

Post by Rebonack »

[The Yew]

Wait there are striped hyenas around Glog?

Well, that's not really what Khannie is thinking.

Mostly she's thinking it is cool and also a bit intimidating that a giant gaggle of various animals have shown up. Animals that all have something in common.

Scavengers. Or at least she's pretty sure that's what they've got in common. It's a little... concerning that she also felt something of a tug when Baccata did whatever she just did. Not just because there are some foxes in the mix, that isn't the whole of it. Khannie hasn't just felt the hunger for life, but for death as well. Ghosts and spirits are just as much food to her as tasty peppers and cookies. Does that make her a scavenger, too? Just a spiritual one?

She really should find some more information on zoroarks. It probably doesn't help AT ALL that she's not terribly familiar with what she is. It ALSO doesn't help that most pokedex entries are unreliable garbage.

"Huh," she grunts, watching the gathering animals. "Okay, yeah, that's fair. So how do you do it? Is there some sorta arcane formula you have to write first? Or are you just kinda asking and the animals are listening?"

[Treasure Hunting]

The rat smiles a very large, wide, crescent moon smile that doesn't look like it belongs on a rat AT ALL when the kids agree to the riddle game. He seems quite happy that they're playing along.

"Haha! Alright then! You have to answer THREE riddles in order to get my-"
"It isn't yours."

"-treasure! And I'll start with the HARDEST riddle! Hahaha! What goes on four legs by morning-"
"It's man. Babies crawl, adults walk, old dudes use a cane."

The rat scowls at Khannie.

"W-what!? How did you know that one! It's supposed to be unsolvable!" the rat fumes.

"That's the Spinx' riddle! It's the most famous riddle EVER! Everyone knows the answer," Khannie retorts.

Grumbling, the rat asks the next. "I have a face yet I can not see, I tell yet I can not talk, I have hands yet I can not hold, what am I?"

Okay Khannie hasn't heard that one before. She glances over at the other kids gathered to see if they've got any ideas.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Yew

There is at least one striped hyena near GLoG. It, and the cats, are not strictly scavengers, despite the hyena's reputation; yet they are both symbolically linked with death.

"I'm asking and they're listening. You need to be careful and approach them with respect, when you ask. It might help you at first to make sure you've got something to feed them when they get here. It's not strictly necessary, but it would help them form a positive impression so they're more likely to come again. Don't order them, especially don't order them into dangerous situations. Ask, and accept if they refuse. Reward them, too."

There's a slight time aspect to the summoning, as well; they all arrived by natural methods, yet for them all to arrive at once the call travelled back in time to a point where they could react in time to come. Not long, not for this; only a few minutes, but then Baccata's here and making them feel safer and more at home as a passive effect of her presence, and the habitat is conducive for the majority of the animals that have arrived. Calling a hyena in the Arctic, even if answered, will almost certainly fail due to the animal not surviving the trip.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Yew]

Linked with death. Yeah, that probably describes Khannie pretty well. Icy cold spirit fox screaming in a blizzard?

Not that Khannie has done that before.

The screaming in the blizzard thing.

She HAS screamed before, though. It's really creepy.

Anyway!

Khannie listens. "This is actually a lot like the sorcery I use," she muses as she considers the directions. "Except it isn't animals that listen to me. It's these shadow spirit things."

The girl whispers, silken smooth, dark, and cool. Shadows cast by objects nearby stretch toward her, blebbing off to form a perfectly black sphere in her hand.

"I dunno if they're smart like animals are. Don't think they are, or at least the way they think about stuff is so different from animals there isn't really anything to compare 'em to. But they want stuff. They like things. And they like listening to me."

She stretches the darkness between her fingers before fashioning it into a simulacrum of a stone.

"Maybe I could just-"

Khannie gives another whisper, reaching out to one of the birds like she reaches out to the darkness. The 'stone' in her hand takes on the shape of a crow which was absolutely not what she was trying to do.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Yew

Maybe Khannie should try it some time. Everyone needs a hobby.

"It's not sorcery. It's druidism. We could cheat, I could give you a token and then it'd be far easier and also witchcraft. But you won't be learning anything then, just borrowing my understanding of it and I think that goes against the point." The token may also be slightly disturbing, given Baccata's nature. I doubt Khannie wants one of Bob's teeth, for example. And the token would also potentially give Khannie some knowledge in the other magics Baccata knows; a bit of poison magic, some alchemy in which yew products and toxic fungi play major roles, and a limited ability to control dead things.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Yew]

"Nah cheating sucks,"
Khannie retorts, waving her arm and causing the shadow-crow to take flight. The not-bird has no real mind of its own. It can carry out simple tasks Khannie supplies it with, but it has no initiative or cleverness of its own.

It's a work of art.

Not a living thing.

It certainly LOOKS real, though.

"Okay, so, this works better if I bribe the animals with food?"
Khannie asks, more a statement than a question. She pulls out a little baggy from her pack full of salami. She's definitely a fan of the spicy meat! Sure it's part of her lunch but sometimes making sacrifices is an important part of learning. "So how is this different from just regular bribing animals with food to like me?"

She brandishes the disk of meat at one of the nearby birds.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Yew

"Not always. Cheating can be fun, in the right situations. Learning isn't the place for it, though." Baccata smiles. "It's not. This is natural magic. You offer the food, if you've got it, and call out with your heart. The bit of you deep inside that's wild. Eventually you won't need the food, just the call." Baccata's own affinity is with animals linked to death, but that might not be Khannie's. Although if her affinity is closer to prey animals, it's unlikely they'd be willing to come from spiced sausage... Especially not to somewhere with such a dense population of carnivores and scavengers. Although Baccata's not keeping them now, so many are sloping off slowly.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Yew]

Hah.

That's a question, isn't it?

What sorts of animals would Khannie have an affinity to? She clearly has an affinity for shadow spirits already. That much is known. And her status as a ghostly spirit fox, a creature of bitter cold and bitter malice, of starvation and freezing death, well. That really narrows the field, doesn't it? What sorts of animals would you find picking at a carcass in the snow?

Crows. Ravens. Coyotes. Foxes. Vultures. Maybe the odd eagle.

Khannie tries again.

The part of her that's wild.

She's been... very careful about that part of herself. The part of herself that's hungry. The part of herself that she has been keeping carefully contained. That's the part of herself that she needs to tap into.

Which she does.

And as she does her human disguise begins sloughing off, a mess of tails unfurling behind her, her eyes turning yellow and vertically slit, her hair turning silvery white darkening to a bloody crimson near the end. The illusion peels away until the spirit fox is uncovered. Reach out to the beasts like she reaches out to the shadows.

Also holding out the bit of meat helps.

One of the foxes cautiously approaches and sniffs at the salami before snatching it.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Yew

Baccata smiles. "See? You're getting it." Baccata doesn't react to Khannie losing her disguise, since what Khannie is doesn't matter to her. "I've stopped calling them, so I'm not trying to influence their behaviour at all right now. That fox was all you. I wasn't really expecting you to get it so quick; well done!" Of course, it may have unfortunate side effects in the future given Khannie likely had a reason and perhaps a need to repress the more bestial side of her nature, but Baccata's unaware of those- and feels finding a balance between civilisation and wildness is important.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Yew]

Baccata might not care much about what Khannie is, but her tree sure seems to. When it thought Khannie was human it was more than happy to try making her life more difficult.

Khannie definitely a strange creature, though. She's a beast, clearly. But a beast trying so hard to play at being human. She's no pet, obviously. She isn't a dog that was domesticated. Nor is she a cat who joined civilization because of the human propensity to attract rodents. The zoroark moves like a beast, but she's dressed like a human. Her clothing is all real, unlike her illusionary human form. Shirt, pants, cap, even hr shoes. Though finding shoes that fit both her human feet and her foxy ones had been an arduous task.

Her burning desire is to be a part of the human world. And she's doing a pretty good job of it. But that isn't all she is.

In reply to Baccata Khannie makes some animal noises, then touches her throat with one paw. The implication is pretty obvious. She doesn't have the right vocal apparatus to speak in human languages when she's not disguised. Sure she could use ghost sounds to imitate words, but she finds it's difficult to split her magical attention.

ESPECIALLY when she's trying something new.

That's part of the reason why the illusion went down. She wants all of her focus on these animals.

Pulling out another slice of salami, she tries again. Not the fox this time. One of the birds. This is... definitely different. A bit harder. The shadow spirits are almost like machines. An insectile sort of intelligence. There are things they react to in certain ways, but they don't really think in so far as Khannie can tell. These animals, though, they have some actual agency.

She waves the salami at one of the crows, which the fox leans toward and sniffs. No, not for you this time. The bird watches her cautiously. Khannie is obviously a large predator of some kind and something to be leery of.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

The Yew

So now Khannie can describe herself as a multiclass sorceress/wizard/druid, just to stack all the caster classes onto one adorable deathfox.

Baccata's going to watch and give advice if she feels it needed, but as far as she can see Khannie's got the hang of it. Or at least the bare-bones basics, anyway. From here mostly practice and experience will prove more useful than further advice and instruction.

Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Morty »

[Treasure Hunting]

"This is a... metty... metay... metaphor!" Tuskfang declares, feeling that his treasure-hunting expertise must shine through. "What has faces other than people? Coins? But coins don't have everything else."
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Treasure Hunting]

"Um..." Lucy screws up her face and puts her chin on her fist. It's a face of intense thought. "Maybe... a... clock? A clock has hands, right?" She holds up her arms to simulate a clock's hands and moves them with a ticking sound for emphasis.
~Images by Soushiyo
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[Treasure Hunting]

Manja was pretty sure the answer to the first riddle was actually 'my dad'. Four legs in the morning? Yeah, definitely sounds like it could be him. Heck, sometimes Manja's like that in the morning, too, since it's just so fun to sleep as a cat. But, no, apparently the answer was different. it was men. Good thing Khannie's so smart, then, to get that answer.

After being so embarrassed by getting a riddle that 'everybody knows the answer' so wrong, Manja doesn't even want to think about what her answer to the second riddle would be.
Obviously, it'd be her mom at night when sleeping, because it just fits the whole riddle. Face but can't see? Can't see stuff while sleeping. Hands but can't hold? Can't hold things while sleeping. Can tell but not talk? That's why she's thinking it's her mom while sleeping, not just some random sleeping person.

As a result, Manja decides she'll just trust her knights to solve these puzzles, then.
So instead, she just allows Khannie to continue to hold her.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Treasure Hunting]

The muskrat is about to yell loudly that HA it isn't a COIN! but then Lucy gets it!

"Nnnnnn you're right! It IS a clock. How come you're so good at riddles?!" the muskrat fumes, stomping in a little circle. "FINE! You have to guess ONE more riddle! But it's the hardest one. The HARDEST! You'll never ever guess the answer! NEVER!"

"Nah I think we'll get it," Khannie replies, sticking her tongue out at the rat. Also petting Manja because why not?

"This thing all things devours,
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers.
Gnaws iron, bites steel,
Grinds hard stones into meal.
Slays kings, ruins town-
And BEATS tall mountains DOWN!"

Khannie gives a long suffering sigh, here.

Really?

What's even the POINTS of asking famous riddles?
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"Shh..." Braon gently coaxes her infant son as she lifts him out of his cradle, gently rocking him back and forth in an effort to abate his crying. "It's okay, mummy's here, mummy's got you..."

The fiendling hums softly as she carries her baby over to a nearby changing table, which is already rolling out the necessary supplies for her; fresh diaper, talcum powder (what an invention!), a little air freshener, all of that. Outside, a set of wind chimes jingle lightly in an unfelt breeze, doing their part to soothe the infant boy so he wouldn't wake his brothers and sisters. Behind her, the cradles continue to gently rock back and forth, unperturbed by this midday disturbance. The pot in the fireplace adjusts itself ever so slightly, cooking its contents just a bit slower so Braon can handle the interruption without worrying too much about burning lunch.

Sometimes, it's very convenient, to be an enchantress.

It doesn't take Braon long to finish her business. While she hasn't made as much of a point of visiting Sakura as she probably should have and getting proper lessons (there's no way she's still mad about that dress thing, is she?), five babies have given her more practice than she could ever ask for when it comes to changing diapers; by the time they're all potty trained, Braon expects she'll have had more experience in that area than most people who aren't professional nannies. As it is now, her hands move through the motions like it's a dance, culminating in her pitching the soiled diaper into a nearby wastebasket, which slides over to catch the projectile before discreetly returning to its place next to the changing table.

"There you go. All better." Braon says soothingly, giving her son a little kiss on the forehead as she makes her way back over to her lunch, holding him on her arm and humming a gentle tune as she resumes her work. "You want to stay with mummy for a little while? Hm? Is that what my little Tadhg wants?" Braon croons as the infant burbles affectionately. "Aw, you're just a sweet little thing, aren't you? Yes, you are!"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Treasure Hunting]

"Good job, Lucy!" Tuskfang claps his hands. He's not sure if he could have come up with it himself. When the muskrat asks the next riddle, though, he's ready. He's not familiar with it, but his brain is already working along similar lines thanks to the previous one. "It's time! Time does all those things."

[Wormwood Cabin]

It is at this time that Sophie knocks on Braon's door. She realizes that her ward (for the lack of a better term) is constantly busy with children, but today's matter is one they need to resolve sooner rather than later.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Braon looks up from her stew as the door opens to admit Sophie, still bouncing her sleepy infant on her arm as she raises a finger to her lips, silently reminding Sophie that she'll need to keep the noise level down while she's in here. With that done, she waves Sophie over, gesturing to an empty chair that glides over to the fireplace and arranges itself with a cushion and blanket.

"Good afternoon, Madame Mouchabière." She greets cordially. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Whatever Sophie was going to say is momentarily halted. A polite greeting from Braon is... technically possible, but not something you'd ever expect. Not without a thick layer of sarcasm.

"A bit of a grim topic, I'm afraid," she says once she recovers. "We need to decide how we're going to get rid of Nar'Theo'Loq for good."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

The steady sound of Braon's spoon scraping against the sides of the pot comes to an abrupt halt as Sophie makes her concerns known. In her arms, the baby starts fussing again, only held back from wailing by a gentle shush from his mother and some reassuring stroking along his back.

"...Right. That." Braon mutters, much of her initial cordiality disintegrating in the time it takes to say those two words. "Give me a moment. I'll have to put the little one down first. Make yourself at home."

At least she doesn't seem to need long to put Tadhg back in his cradle before stepping back into the living room, closing her bedroom's door behind her.

"If I never see that damned tooth again, it'll be too soon." She says flatly, as soon as she's back with Sophie. "If you were waiting around for my permission to destroy it, consider it given. Better yet, I'll help. The sooner that thing is gone, the sooner I can get back to sleeping at night."
Last edited by Ironsmith on Feb 21, 2023 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Sophie feels a certain warmth and pride when she watches Braon handle her children. She's known many people who unexpectedly had to raise children. Some of them dealt with it better than others. Braon seems to at least be doing her best.

"Not permission, no. But help, yes. Or at least advice. I don't want to try something that will only make the situation worse. What would happen if I simply put it in a hydraulic press and crushed it into a fine powder?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Braon frowns and rests her hand on her chin for a moment, before shaking her head. "Haven't the foggiest." She says flatly. "Normally, when we rip someone's heart out, it's with the intent of eating it. I know they can be damaged; there's an art form that involves carving hearts into things to make magical relics, kind of like enchanting but in reverse. But I don't know if they can be destroyed, exactly, in any meaningful sense." She shrugs and folds her hands in front of her. "It's not like I've heard of anyone testing it. If you want to kill someone, there are easier ways to do it than ripping out their heart, keeping it under your bed for a month and squishing it the next time the whim hits you. It's just not practical."

"And that's assuming NarTheoLoq even plays by the same rules. I was expecting to pull a heart out of it, but I got a tooth instead. Who knows what else is different?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"I was worried you would say that." Sophie doesn't really sound disappointed. She knew it wouldn't be easy. "But I might have a way to bypass the problem. My power lets me grievously wound spirits... destroy them permanently if I do enough damage. It's possible that if I channel this power while destroying the tooth, NarTheoLoq will die for good."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"Then why did you even ask?" Braon snaps, her fingers visibly clenching over the armrests of her chair.

The fiendling inhales sharply and lets out a slow, deep breath. "...It just seems to me that, if you had that ability all along, there's not much point in asking me to advise you further." She mutters, pressing a finger to her temple as she leans forward to better talk to Sophie. "Or am I missing something?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Sophie quirks an eyebrow. It seems logical enough to her. But maybe Braon just doesn't want to think about the tooth at all?

"You're the one who bound him there. I had to check if there's something I'm missing. I likely have one shot at this."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Braon lets out a beleaguered sigh and rubs her forehead, as though nursing a large headache. "...Fine. If you want something that's guaranteed to work, you could always have someone eat it." She says, splaying out her hand to invoke the possibility. "Although that wouldn't so much destroy the demon so much as put it in another body, along with someone else's soul. At which point you could use whatever conventional methods are available to you."

"...Somehow, though, I don't think anybody's going to go for that." She continues sardonically, looking up at Sophie and cracking a wry smile. "Imagine how that conversation would go. 'Oy, mate, would yer be a diamon' an' eat this demon so we can shoot yer an' kill it?'" She shakes her head, shoulders shaking from the effort of holding back a laugh. "Don't see a lot of volunteers lining up for that job."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Sophie replies with a similar smile, as though Braon's suggestion didn't perturb her in the least.

"No, that's hardly an ideal solution for a variety of reasons. Looks like I'm going with a big hammer and Solar power."
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Treasure Hunting]

Lucy scratches her head. "Huh? How does time do any of those things?" She questions. Doesn't make much sense.
~Images by Soushiyo
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Morty wrote: Feb 22, 2023 12:21 am [Wormwood Cabin]

Sophie replies with a similar smile, as though Braon's suggestion didn't perturb her in the least.

"No, that's hardly an ideal solution for a variety of reasons. Looks like I'm going with a big hammer and Solar power."
[Wormwood Cabin]

"Looks like it." Braon agrees, rolling her hair between her fingers. "...Listen. I know what I said earlier, but... I would take it as a personal favor if you would let me watch. I want to make sure this thing is dead when you're done. And if something goes wrong, I might be able to wrangle it back into the tooth or something."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"I didn't want to ask you, but I'm glad you offered," Sophie admits. "This will definitely go better if you're there to make doubly sure he's really dead. We've both confronted him in the past and couldn't kill or banish him for good. This time we might just manage. I want to be rid of him before my children arrive." ...okay, she had to drop this here on purpose.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Braon's eyebrows shoot up at that, as she gives Sophie a mildly incredulous expression. "Now where have I heard that one before?" She muses, glancing back toward her bedroom. "...How is your wife, anyway? She holding up all right?"

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,