GLoG

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: GLoG

Post by Ironsmith »

[Sapling Cabin]

Miranda smiles, but if Sophie thinks that means her guard is down, she might need to take a look at the word "spy" in the dictionary. "Thank you. We're hoping the same."

Then, she turns to Alto, looking slightly perplexed. They... had talked about this, right? She could have sworn they did. Did Alto forget? Or... or did she forget? What did that say about her mind if she forgot? Or... had she assumed too much about Alto's understanding of the concept of adoption? "...Miss Mouchabiere, could you give us a moment?" Miranda asks.

If Sophie complies, Miranda'll take a moment and cup one of Alto's massive hands in her own. "...Alto, I... over the past few months, while I've been taking care of you, we... haven't exactly been strangers, have we?" She begins, looking up at him. "We've been living in the same house. I've been feeding you, caring for you, and doing what I can to try to help you have a good life. I've... been holding back, though. Because at the end of the day, as much as I care about you and want you to be happy, I'm..."

She gives him a little sigh and lowers her gaze. "...I'm not your mother. I'm sure she's still out there, somewhere, and it wouldn't be... it would be hard, for her, if she came back and found out someone else had raised her boy." She gives him an affectionate pat on the arm. "At the same time, you're getting bigger, stronger, and smarter every day. You're growing up fast, even without her here. And you're going to need someone to raise you, one way or another. Someone who can be your mother while she's away." She looks back up at Alto. "That's what we're doing here today. I'm going up to the office to tell them that I love you and that I want to care for you as a mother would."
Last edited by Ironsmith on Mar 21, 2023 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Sapling Cabin]

Alto stares wide-eyed at Sophie for a moment. "It's possible to have two mothers?" Alto states it like it's some revolutionary new thesis in physics. "That's so unfair!"

Then, Miranda pulls Alto aside. The massive creature looks at her like a startled child. "Yes, we've been living in the same house. Yes, you've fed me. Yes, you've taken care of me. But why does it need to be put... on... a list...?"

Alto's speech slows down as something dawns to it. Miranda can almost see the gears turning behind its orange eyes. "Wait... are you saying... I could have two mothers too? You want to be my mom?"

The creature hooks its massive lanky arm around her and hugs her. It's a very gentle hug, barely a touch. Sophie might consider it a bit restrained. But maybe restrained is good for someone who could crush bones of a normal human if they weren't.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Grounds]

Ah, now there's an interesting point.

Simply dropping the bell and allowing it to roll will not, in fact, cause it to toll.

Ringing the iron bell requires intent. And without intent it's just making normal sounds of iron clattering against itself. Kind of strange, sure, but considering what the object is maybe not terribly surprising. All of the objects the kids found in the treasure trove were strange things.

The Zoroark, meanwhile, takes off after the bell lest Braon try to snatch it up again. Once she's got it in her paws she'll-
-not ring it.

What?

She isn't CRUEL.

Khannie already knows that it causes discomfort. She can just wait for the fiendling to get clear. Khannie has already learned that the bell only has a reach of about twelve feet with its effect. That was one of the first things she tested for.

"Are we wrestling now?" Maridia asks. "Are you done sciencing can I go find something to eat?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Grounds]

Braon looks down at her chest, as though a visual inspection will reveal why the bell rolling across the ground didn't result in cardiac arrest, before deciding to just consider herself lucky that it didn't.

With that in mind, the fiendling stands up and brushes herself off, watching Khannie retrieve the bell and letting out a small sigh. Now she gets to lose the bell and be humiliated. There's a lesson to be learned from that.

...She's not sure what it is, but it's there.

Regardless, it's probably not worthwhile to fight Khannie on this any further. At least if Braon accepts defeat now, there's no opportunity for her to end up half-submerged in the lake with a fish in her mouth, or some other situation more embarrassing than "got tackled by a large animal".

...That said, she would still like to pull a win of some sort from this encounter. Braon reaches out over the lake and closes her eyes, concentrating...

Until a pseudopod forms in the lake, reaching up and slapping down next to Braon, leaving the struggling hat behind.

The... still struggling hat.

Oh, right. Its whole deal is that it remembers things. And it had heard the toll of the bell, been frightened by it, and now continues to be. Or, in succinct terms...

"You broke it." Braon admonishes, in a deadpan tone. "You had it for two minutes and you broke it."

Figures.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Grounds]

Clearly the lesson is to never try to begin with. If you never try then you never fail. Easy!

There's little chance of Khannie getting more aggressive, though. Unless Braon decided to escalate things further. But, knowing Braon, there's always a decent chance of that happening. Probably for the best that she decided to just let this one go. Definitely doesn't help that 'being aggressive' comes pretty naturally to pokemon when conflict arises.

Anywho!

Once Khannie has got the bell back that human teen double just sort of... melts. The shadows flow across the ground and back to Khannie, covering her and once again resolving into her disguise. All it took was a soft, whispery, foxy noise from Khannie. As she's said before, the shadows really like listening to her. Once she has a human mouth again that makes indignant retorts easy!

Though she pauses with her mouth open when the hat gets flopped into the dirt.

Then frowns.

"I didn't break it," Khannie insists, just to be contrary. "And I bet I can figure out how to fix it."

A bold claim.

"I've been figuring out how to get spirits to not get knocked around by the bell all morning. I can use what I learned on that hat."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Grounds]

"You'd better." Braon frowns. "Because she's terrified and if you can't calm her down, she's going to remain terrified until something eats her or she wills herself out of existence to escape it. And I don't think you want to be responsible for either of those."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Grounds]

At that challenge Khannie's resolve just redoubles. Now there's NO WAY she's going to fail here. She stands up a little straighter, balling her fists. She looks defiant and certain. Bold and hasty can be a winning combination, sometimes. But sometimes that gets her in trouble.

First?

She hands the bell back to Maridia, who looks disappointed that she isn't going to get to slink off and haunt the cupboards in search of stray candy.

Then?

She picks up the hat.

The basics of controlling spirits are known to her. Not just the shadows that respond to her naturally. But to others as well. Working with the dryad has helped her learn now to get OTHER spirits to hear her. It takes way more effort, sure. It doesn't come as easily. But if there's anything Khannie likes, it's a challenge and a puzzle.

"The bell's a command," Khannie begins, turning the hat over in her hands. "To flee. Only spirits hear it. And it compels 'em to obey."

Which makes dealing with the effect tricky.

But!

"But I thought, 'what if I made it so they can't hear it?' What if I muffled the sound? Silencing stuff is easy. Basic illusions. Silencing just one sorta sound is harder, but doable," Khannie says as she begins weaving her illusion.

To silence the tolling dictum that's echoing endlessly in the hat's memory.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Sapling Cabin]

Well... that's a touching scene if there ever was one. Sophie smiles, looking at it, but a nagging worry doesn't leave her mind. Something is off with Miranda and she'll have to find out what. But later. When it won't get in the way of her making Alto her family.
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

Morty wrote: Mar 11, 2023 9:02 pm [Ironwood Cabin]

"Okay!" Tuskfang hops off his bed and goes in search of his dad. He should be somewhere in the cabin.
Ironwood Cabin

Tuskfang finds his father in the kitchen, washing the outside of jars he's freshly canned. Inside are all sorts of fruits, preserved in honey, spices, and herbs. He's humming happily, though Tuskfang sees Pathfinder's ears twist towards him as he senses his approach. "What's that you have?" He asks, sounding happy even as he turns to look over his shoulder. Drying his paws, he reaches down to gently rustle Tuskfang's hair and ears.

b will sense more from Pathfinder. He is practically enshrouded in spirit, tendrils reaching out in awareness, and his left paw, wrapped in bandages, feels dangerous. Some of that spiritual attention turns towards b, looking close even as Pathfinder asks his son about it.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironwood Cabin

"I am [THAT WHICH CAN BE, AND CAN BE AGAIN], son of [ALL THAT IS IN ITS PLACE AND ITS HOLY GEOMETRIES]. But they call me β." whispers the spirit, with words that were only an impression to Tuskfang but are likely clear as day to Pathfinder. The spirit is strange, for sure. Somewhat similar to the wolfen spirits but also a little...colder. It almost smells of fractal symmetries. And yet it offered its name freely, and Pathfinder shall find only curiosity and a sense of uncertainty.
"...son of Codebreaker. You...look like one of his Possibilities. What could have been. What could be."
There is one more pause.
"Your son is very kind."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Grounds]

Perhaps the surest sign that Khannie's magic is working as intended is that nothing happens.

As in, when she finishes waving her hands, the hat stops moving. This might not be a permanent solution; if anything happens to the illusion, the hat's going to go for another swim. But as it stands, the problem seems to be momentarily solved, at least to the degree it would be visible from the outside.

"...Oh, good." Braon says, lowering her arms. "Whatever you did, she's back down to her usual self. That's good. I wasn't going to make you another one."

That, after all, would be wildly irresponsible.

[Sapling Cabin]

Miranda gives Alto a small smile, wrapping her arms around the gorilla-like child's neck and returning the hug. "That's exactly what I'm saying, Alto." She says, her voice taking on a slight tremble. She'd sort of been skirting around the idea of being his mom as opposed to being like his mom for fear of how he would take it, but Alto seems to have embraced the idea with much enthusiasm; clearly, she had nothing to worry about on that front. And, at the same time, the news is out there and Sophie's shown no signs of shooting the idea down. All that's actually left is the paperwork; a mere formality by comparison.

It's real, now. She's going to be a mother. Alto's mother.

"...Right." Miranda sniffs, slowly pulling back out of the hug. "We should, ah, get going. We don't want to keep the nice ladies up in the office waiting."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Sapling Cabin]

It might occur to either Miranda or Sophie that while Alto had an intuitive concept of a mother, it did not, before coming to GLoG, have good experience of having one. It did not really know being a mother is something you can do, or how one ought to do it. So, many motherly things Miranda has done and many explanations she's given, they didn't really click in Alto's mind before now.

Alto lets go of Miranda. It almost looks like the creature is smiling. It doesn't do that a lot. "Still not sure why it needs to be put on a list", Alto wonders, "is there... a big list of all moms somewhere. Would my mom... would my other mom also be on it?"

It is a very mysterious concept. Alto has learned what a list is and what books are, but does not know how to read or write yet. In a sense, paperwork is as magic as the box Miranda-mom uses to make food.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Ironwood Cabin]

"Bee started to float around my rock," Tuskfang supplies helpfully, lifting up the rock, tail wagging as his father ruffles his hair. The rock, as Pathfinder knows, is a crystal from a deep tunnel that Tuskfang got as a gift from Reelshka's parents. Pretty, but nothing supernatural about it. "And I asked them who they are and I could understand them. Is it because of grandpa and grandma?"

[Sapling Cabin]

"We just like to keep track of who is taking care of who, Alto," Sophie explains. "Being on a list means anyone can check it and see that Miranda is your mother and we can talk to her about you. But I'm afraid we only keep a list of moms who live here. Don't let me keep, you, though," she adds with a nod to Miranda.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Sapling Cabin]

"Plus, we wouldn't know where to look if we did have her on a list somewhere." Miranda points out, somewhat unhelpfully. "You didn't have a name when you first came here; nobody would know her as 'Alto's mom'. What we've been doing so far is combing through missing persons cases for infants that disappeared at around the same time and place the Octohedron appeared, and trying to track down the women who lost their children that as possible candidates for your mother." She gently pats the gorilla-child on the back, deciding to omit the fact that the list was far from comprehensive; it would only include incidents where this happened in the Nexus and word of it got back to Intersection, which would probably be a very small subset of cases. There's no sense in dashing the poor boy's hopes of ever meeting his biological mother.

"Don't worry. We are looking." She offers. "But for now, you've got a mother here with you. That's something to smile about, isn't it?" She gives her soon-to-be son another hug before guiding him toward the office building, where they can finalize the paperwork.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Sapling Cabin]

"Oh, right, I didn't have a name", Alto mutters... then something occurs to it and its pupils go wide. "I don't know my mother's name. No-one here knows my mother's name..." It seems like a very obvious thing. Surely, on some level, Alto already knew that. But only now did it really hit Alto what it means for all the other people. As Miranda leads Alto away, Sophie might sense a change in the creature, on a spiritual level - as if something broke and began to melt, piece of a glacier falling into the sea.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Ironwood Cabin

Pathfinder's spirit and posture ease as B explains itself and Tuskfang asks his question. The head gets rustled once more and the shaman moves to go take a seat and draw Tuskfang into his lap. "It is! Though Wolfen are usually somewhat sensitive, your grandma and grandpa definitely have an impact. And I'm glad to see that B is a nice spirit. A...weird one, but a nice one. And as you grow older and train more, you'll be able to see more of what B is." He explains before turning his attention towards the spirit.

As he addresses B, Tuskfang will hear his father's voice change, becoming fuzzy. He'll understand that he's talking to B, using B's seeming full name even, but it will have an odd blurriness to it when the name is Spoken. "[THAT WHICH CAN BE, AND CAN BE AGAIN], son of [ALL THAT IS IN ITS PLACE AND ITS HOLY GEOMETRIES]...welcome to our home, and yes, Tuskfang is a nice young lad." Pathfinder says proudly. "Is there something we can help you with?" For now, being called a Possibility is something he lets stay aside.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironwood Cabin

”I am on a quest for understanding. I ponder a gift for-“ the concept Tuskfang understood as “mother” is more accurately “the one from whom I was born.” Pathfinder might discern the very subtle difference. Codebreaker was not a mother in any traditional sense in this equation.
”Father gave gifts to [Mother] without understanding mortals, and so they caused distress. My first [gift, blessing, miracle] must be perfect.”
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Ironwood Cabin]

Tuskfang settles into his dad's lap and wiggles his feet happily.

"They call someone mother. But that's not the same kind of mother mom is, right? It's some kind of spirit thing I can't understand yet."

A sound of giggling is heard from an adjacent room. Tuskfang's siblings are playing there.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Demon-Slaying]

One morning, before her first appointment at her practice, Sophie will come to see Braon. She's carrying a very large hammer, the kind used for driving stakes into the ground, and she has the tooth on her. Her shotgun is also on her back, just in case. Time to try to get rid of NarTheoLoq for good.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

Rebonack wrote: Mar 07, 2023 3:41 pm [Treasure Hunting]

Okay what the heck just happened?

Khannie tries whispering to the shadows to get them to listen to her but they're... scared? Like the sound of the bell scared them away. Some kind of dispel? No, that isn't it. She's learned about dispelling at school. That's just fouling active spellwork. Inserting gibberish into the formula so it doesn't process right anymore. This is something different. Like the spirits her sorcery relies on are too worried about the bell to hear her. And it messed up the... what even is that thing?

A boogiemonster?

It sounds like its magic got messed up, too.

Whatever that bell is, spirits seem to be leery of its sound. Even the boogiemonster is backing away from Lucy since she's still holding it.

At Tuskfang's question Khannie makes some zoroark noises and touches her throat with one paw. She can't talk like this, at least to people who aren't pokemon. She HAS been learning a translation spell just in case her illusions fail but she hasn't quite got it yet so fox sounds it is. Seeing that Lucy is absolutely freaked out by the weird looking black monster Khannie steps forward and uses some communication that pretty much any animal can understand.

She bears her teeth and snarls at the pooka.

"Haha, fine fine I get it!" the creature titters as he prances further away, receding into the dark until only his luminous eyes and grin are visible. "I won't follow you, I promise."

Then the eyes close and the smile wanes and the spirit is gone again.

Khannie glares at where it was a few seconds longer before padding over to the treasure chest and grabbing the handle on one side with her paw. Then she gestures at the opposite handle with her OTHER paw before gesturing toward the mouth of the cave. Manja has already set out! That means it's time to go!
Morty wrote: Mar 07, 2023 6:40 pm [Treasure Hunting]

"Yeah, let's go!" Any fear or apprehension Tuskfang may have felt about the spirit is gone, replaced by their triumph as treasure-hunters. "We can show everyone what we found!"
Gullara wrote: Mar 15, 2023 3:25 am [Treasure Hunting]

Lucy looks at the spot where the spirit vanishes for a moment before she agrees with a nod. She helps to heft the chest and is more than eager to leave the cave. That little reveal has soured things a bit, and it shows. Hopefully they can do some cheering up.

[Treasure Hunting]

The kitten Manja goes straight back the way they came, to leave the cave and be back outside in the sun again.
Of course, she does periodically stop and check to make sure everyone else is following, and makes an occasional 'meow' sound to let them know where she is.

She would be a positively awful Dark Mistress-slash-princess-slash-leader if some of them didn't make it back, after all.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Ironwood Cabin

Pathfinder tilts his head in consideration, ears cocked as he thinks. "I...am not sure myself." Pathfinder admits to his son. "But I think mother is as close as we'll understand. Like a grafting bud would be a child from its parent tree." He decides. "What sort of gift are you looking for? What would be perfect?" He asks even as he leans over slightly to take a look towards the rather suspicious giggling. Giggling was fine for now. The silence that might follow is what worries him.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironwood Cabin

The mote of light bobs about as if considering, before finally saying, "This is secret."
"Father gave Mother a boon, as their Priest. All the power and status of their first. But Father didn't know how mortals work. Mother took on his [predecessor]'s whole life. He wears his face, his body. Then they opened his perception to the [geometry] of the world, but that was too much for him.

Mother is my Priest now. I am [THAT WHICH CAN BE, AND CAN BE AGAIN]. I wish to give him a Possibility that will make him happy.
...but I do not wish to repeat Father's mistakes."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Ironwood Cabin]

Tuskfang puts a valiant effort into understanding, but of course b's explanation sails right past his head in short order.

"That sounds really complicated. Can't you just get your mom a nice box of pencils? Like we got mom on her last birthday?"

When Pathfinder looks, he'll see that Balthuk and Maltrika are pushing a ball on the ground between each other while Hornclaw is trying to catch it, sometimes succeeding. There's no mayhem... for now.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Morty wrote: Apr 10, 2023 5:41 pm [Demon-Slaying]

One morning, before her first appointment at her practice, Sophie will come to see Braon. She's carrying a very large hammer, the kind used for driving stakes into the ground, and she has the tooth on her. Her shotgun is also on her back, just in case. Time to try to get rid of NarTheoLoq for good.
[Demon-Slaying]

Sophie will find Braon just outside her cabin, gingerly closing the door and securing the lock with a small key. She's not carrying or wearing anything unusual; unlike Sophie, she doesn't have any particular demon-slaying tools.

She does, however, start when Sophie approaches her. Evidently, she hasn't been paying too much attention to her surroundings.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Demon-Slaying]

"Are you ready, Braon?" Sophie certainly looks out of place with not just one, but two weapons. Braon was hardly in a state to notice it when she used her shotgun, either. "I brought my shotgun in case things go wrong. But hopefully the hammer will do the trick."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Arrivals]
Earl of Purple wrote: Mar 20, 2023 5:02 pm Clattering up the drive towards the campsite is a Clarence carriage. It's a sinister-looking vehicle, painted entirely black and pulled by a pair of skeletal horses. The driver is a large man wearing a black suit and a bowler hat, a blank bronze mask fastened tight to his face with the only features being a pair of red-glowing eyes. The vehicle will stop in the centre of the camp, and the coachman disembarks first to open the door and lower a step, allowing the coach's occupants to exit.

First is a twenty-three-year-old tiefling with dark purple skin, small bone horns emerging from her straight black hair, white eyes with no visible iris or pupil, and six fingers on her left hand. She's wearing a bright yellow sleeveless dress, belted at the waist, with a verdigris-coated bronze dagger sheathed at her side. In her arms she's carrying a baby, just shy of a year old, with dark skin, bald, and pure white eyes like his mother's; he also has six fingers on his left hand, though he otherwise seems human. The baby smiles at the world around him and gurgles.

Next is a man, slightly older, with dark skin, black hair and piercing green eyes. He's wearing dark purple suit trousers and a matching waistcoat over a white shirt, a black cravat about his neck. He swings a purple tricorn hat onto his head after he disembarks and looks around, trying to find the daycare.
The daycare is fairly easily found and it seems someone else has just arrived there. A short, dark-skinned female woman pushing a stroller with a pair of tiefling babies Curiously enough, the infants have crocodile tails, rather than the slim ones you'd expect of tieflings.

"Oh, hello. Are you here for the daycare?"

She hasn't seen them here before. Anyone else might not be certain of that... but not Sophie.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Morty wrote: Apr 15, 2023 9:44 pm [Demon-Slaying]

"Are you ready, Braon?" Sophie certainly looks out of place with not just one, but two weapons. Braon was hardly in a state to notice it when she used her shotgun, either. "I brought my shotgun in case things go wrong. But hopefully the hammer will do the trick."
[Demon-Slaying]

"As much so as I can be." Braon breathes, massaging her sternum. "It's... I've never actually tried to destroy a spirit before. At least not one that didn't come from me. And if we mess it up... you know, actually, I'd rather not think about that."
Last edited by Ironsmith on Apr 19, 2023 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Demon-Slaying]

"The technique I'll use is a common manifestation of the power of the Solar Exalted." Sophie begins to lead Braon away from the main body of the camp. "It destroys spirits utterly, preventing them from returning. I have it on good authority that ancient Solars used it to slay beings of tremendous scope and power. We can only hope it will interact with your kind of spirit and NarTheoLoq's nature straightforwardly."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Demon-Slaying]

"And if it doesn't?" Braon asks, an unfamiliar amount of trepidation leaking into her voice. "Do you have a backup plan?"

Strange. A few months ago, she probably wouldn't have asked. It probably wouldn't even have bothered her that her first plan might not work. But then, a few months ago, NarTheoLoq wasn't at risk of breaking into her cabin and slaughtering her babies in their sleep.

Again, strange, the changes motherhood has already provoked in her.
Last edited by Ironsmith on Apr 20, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Arrivals

"Indeed we are. I am Benedict Beaulieu, this is my wife Libertine and our son, Donatien. We need somebody to look after him as I help my wife practice her elementalism. Her specialty touches upon smoke, so it is not safe or sensible to practice near children." She also specialises in oil, but smoke's a lot easier to manifest and manipulate. Benedict smiles and bows slightly as he introduces himself, and gestures to his wife and child when he references them.
"Yes, he's adorable but not when he's coughing. Speaking of, who're your little bundles of trouble?... Are they yours, or did somebody else leave them?" Libertine's curious about the tails, but Earl-tieflings differ markedly from each other and the usual norm, and not all of them have tails. Neither Libertine nor Donatien have one, which makes changing nappies probably easier for Don than it is for Sophie's pair.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.