GLoG

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: GLoG

Post by Rebonack »

[Treasure Hunting]

Okay what the heck just happened?

Khannie tries whispering to the shadows to get them to listen to her but they're... scared? Like the sound of the bell scared them away. Some kind of dispel? No, that isn't it. She's learned about dispelling at school. That's just fouling active spellwork. Inserting gibberish into the formula so it doesn't process right anymore. This is something different. Like the spirits her sorcery relies on are too worried about the bell to hear her. And it messed up the... what even is that thing?

A boogiemonster?

It sounds like its magic got messed up, too.

Whatever that bell is, spirits seem to be leery of its sound. Even the boogiemonster is backing away from Lucy since she's still holding it.

At Tuskfang's question Khannie makes some zoroark noises and touches her throat with one paw. She can't talk like this, at least to people who aren't pokemon. She HAS been learning a translation spell just in case her illusions fail but she hasn't quite got it yet so fox sounds it is. Seeing that Lucy is absolutely freaked out by the weird looking black monster Khannie steps forward and uses some communication that pretty much any animal can understand.

She bears her teeth and snarls at the pooka.

"Haha, fine fine I get it!" the creature titters as he prances further away, receding into the dark until only his luminous eyes and grin are visible. "I won't follow you, I promise."

Then the eyes close and the smile wanes and the spirit is gone again.

Khannie glares at where it was a few seconds longer before padding over to the treasure chest and grabbing the handle on one side with her paw. Then she gestures at the opposite handle with her OTHER paw before gesturing toward the mouth of the cave. Manja has already set out! That means it's time to go!
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"I know what Khannie called you, yes. I haven't heard any other child repeat it." Sophie focuses on facts, perhaps to counter Braon's interpretation. "I would say, however, that you drenching her with water and destroying her phone had much more to do with it than your nature or your past. And she was still there helping me pull you out of the vine-prison. Have you spoken to her since?"

[Treasure Hunting]

"Yeah, let's go!" Any fear or apprehension Tuskfang may have felt about the spirit is gone, replaced by their triumph as treasure-hunters. "We can show everyone what we found!"
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"The brat was setting off fireworks! In the middle of the day!" Braon counters, throwing out her hands in exasperation. "And it's not like I didn't try to reason with her first! What was I supposed to do, just sit there and take it?"

Her expression softens when Sophie reveals her involvement on the delivery night. "...Wait... that was her?" She asks, lowering her hands. "I... well, she still calls me that. And I don't think she could have gotten away with just walking on by, knowing I was there."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"Of course she could have. She's a teenager, we're not going to blame her for not rushing headlong into danger," Sophie points out. "In fact her father would probably really rather she didn't. But she did, because she's a good person who wants to be a hero and won't let grudges stop her." She leans back. "As for the fireworks, I wasn't there, so I don't know how I would have resolved it. But magical assault was needless escalation. One you seem to be prone to when things don't go your way."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironwood Cabin

A soft glow emanates from a small little crystal that Tuskfang kept on his shelf.
It's lightly purple in color, occasionally scintillating with red and blue.
A spirit is afoot!
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"A...a-a..." Braon opens her mouth to respond, but can't seem to quite find the words. There's no "gotcha!" hanging in easy reach, no excuse she can throw in Sophie's face for why she was totally justified in her reasoning, and after a moment of sitting there and stammering out vowels, Braon decides ro change the subject. Sort of.

"...You know, I never did thank her." Braon says after a moment. "Not properly, at least. I mean, she's still a brat, but... it's still smart to reward good behavior, right?" She looks to Sophie for confirmation that she was, in fact, proposing something within GLoG's paradigm.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Ironwood Cabin]

Tuskfang was laying on his bed and reading a picture book when the crystal started glowing. The crystal is a gift from his maternal grandparents; a pretty rock dug up deep below the earth. But it's never glowed before. The young woblin gets up, walks over to the shelf, takes the crystal and looks closely at it.

[Wormwood Cabin]

"We probably wouldn't be having this conversation without her, so yes. You should thank her. She was brave and resourceful."

Sophie really isn't sure if she could have saved Braon on her own. And hammering home that she may well owe Khannie her life is probably in order. Since Braon is still trying to frame the situation her way.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironwood Cabin

The crystal itself is as it usually is...if perhaps a little bit smaller.
The small purple mote flitting about it however, is likely new.

The air hums in greeting around it, though not actually the air itself. It is a strange, subtle sort of feeling that most would perhaps not even be able to perceive.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

"Right. Okay. Thank her." Braon comfirms, clapping her hands together. "No... problem. I can do that. And not in the cheap 'oh hey thanks for not letting me die' way, eith-"

Wait, that's what she did with Sophie, isn't it?

Braon lets out a little sigh and pinches the bridge of her nose. She's going to have work to do. But as it stands, Khannie first, then Sophie. And she just gave Sophie something she'd no doubt find useful, absolutely unprompted; she can't be mad that she's a little further down the line, right? And she can go screw herself if she is.

"...Right. I'll just get her something nice and give it to her at an opportune time. How hard can it be to make a teenage girl happy?"

"...Oh, Adea's sake..." Braon grumbles, her hand going up to her forehead. She knew the moment she said it that she was tempting fate.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Ironwood Cabin]

Tuskfang has a strange feeling that he recognizes this glow around the crystal, but he can't quite grasp it. He pokes it with his finger.

"Is there a spirit in my rock?" he asks nobody in particular.

[Wormwood Cabin]

Sophie regards Braon carefully. That's a lot of progress in one conversation.

"I admit I don't know Khannie very well. She has a keen interest in magic of all kinds. And wants to be a hero."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironwood Cabin

The mote hums an affirmative, though noting that the rock really has a spirit on it, as it's not pure enough to sit in.
The spirit doesn't know the word 'semantics' and isn't quite talking to use the word anyway.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wormwood Cabin]

Braon nods at that information, running her fingers along her chin as she puzzles out what might be a good gift for the girl... and suddenly, her face lights up, a little smile working its way onto her lips.

"I think I know just the thing." She says, standing up from her chair and heading for the door, grabbing her cloak off the coat rack. "I'll need to run to the store to pick up a few things if I'm going to do this right." She shrugs on her cloak and clasps it, popping open the door and turning back to Sophie. "Don't worry about watching the little ones. I've poured so much of myself into this house, I'm basically always here. But if you hear crying or something and want to help, make sure you knock before coming in." She gives the door a little tap and steps out, already on her way to Inside's markets for the materials she needs.

[Grounds] (A few days later)

...Blast it all, where is that girl? Braon could swear Khannie was here all the time; she could never seem to get away from her completely before. Now the one time she needed to find her, she's nowhere to be seen?

Braon huffs and adjusts the parcel under her arm, continuing to make her way through GLoG's facilities in hopes of finding some trace of Khannie. She's almost considering asking someone if they've seen her, but no, that's more likely to frighten Khannie off than it is to lead Braon to her.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Ironwood Cabin]

Tuskfang bounces in place, his tail wagging. This is so cool!

"You can understand me? And I can understand you! Are you a rock spirit? Like the spirits here are animal spirits?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironwood Cabin

No, they're a spirit of- well. They aren't quite sure. They haven't categorized themselves. Mother hasn't.
But not rocks. They're quite sure of that.

The mote leaves the rock, hovering around Tuskfang's head curiously.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Ironwood Cabin]

Tuskfang giggles excitedly as his eyes follow the mote. This is the best thing ever. A whole new spirit!

"Do you have a mom? I thought spirits didn't have moms. But... I think some spirits do have babies." His grandparents are spirits, after all. But he catches himself in time before he says it. "I'm Tuskfang. Do you have a name?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironwood Cabin

Mother was Father's vessel when they made the spirit. Or so it tells Tuskfang.
The spirit has taken Father's place as Mother's patron since...though they haven't done much to help.
The mote tries to communicate with Tuskfang with actual words, but it is very difficult. Instead it zips about, trying to form a proper letter with the faint trail it leaves behind.
β

That is what their Mother calls them. Its proper name is [THAT WHICH CAN BE, AND CAN BE AGAIN], child of [ALL THAT IS IN ITS PLACE AND ITS HOLY GEOMETRIES] but mortals cannot say them.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Ironwood Cabin]

Needless to say, Tuskfang hasn't understand most of it. Or any of it, really. But he does do his best to understand the spirit's name.

"B? Your name's just B? Bee. Can I call you Bee? Because you also fly around like a bee. I dunno what the rest means, though. This must be advanced spirit stuff. Like my dad knows."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironwood Cabin

The spirit does its best to show its slight disapproval, but its difficulty with words make the difference between B and β difficult to express.

The spirit will choose its own name someday. Mother said that his people do that. Mother didn't choose his name but supposedly that's what they do. So for now they simply have a name related to their Father spirit's name.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Grounds]

Braon does not spy Khannie.

Or, at least, she doesn't find who she was expecting to find.

What she DOES find is some sort of weird multi-tailed fox monster wearing an outfit suspiciously similar to Khannie's near the picknick tables. Atop one of the tables are two very important things.

First?

A little fairy dragon holding a small, rusty iron bell. The sort that would be found in steeples. Just quite a bit smaller such that the cat sized dragon can hold it with some difficulty. The OTHER thing on the table is a composition book that the fox monster is furiously writing in. At just about the time Braon would be passing by while cursing her bad luck a very interesting thing happens.

The fox whispers something through her teeth and the shadows nearby peel away from objects like ink in water flowing down a drain. They wrap around her, shroud her, and mold into the shape of a human girl before suddenly acquiring color and texture.

"Okay it took TWO tolls that time,"
Khannie says, bouncing her pen atop her book. "I think I'm getting closer to figuring this dumb thing out. Maybe if I-"

Her eyes widen, an idea occurring to her, prompting the teen to hunch over her book and begin writing furiously.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Ironwood Cabin]

"I'm gonna get a new name someday too!" Tuskfang proclaims. "When I'm grown up! That's how Wolfen do it. My dad's a Wolfen shaman. And I will be one too."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironwood Cabin

There is another hum, this one of thinking.
Yes. These are the word Mothers uses to describe himself, almost. The second one is slightly different. The word Mother uses conveys more...singularity in loyalty. Though in practice, the same.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Ironwood Cabin]

Tuskfang's brow furrows. His mother is a shaman too? But he said "he". Weird.

"Your mom's a Wolfen shaman too?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironwood Cabin

Yes. There is a distinction in terminology, but the difference is minor.
That said, Tuskfang is significantly smaller and less hairy than Mother. His nose is also not most of his face. Do Wolfen have that much variation?
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Grounds]

Oh, hey, there she is.

...So that's what Arthfael meant when he said his girlfriend was "foxy". Braon always just assumed he found her attractive. Well... clearly, he did, but in hindsight, that doesn't seem to be what he was trying to convey.

"Hey. Um... Khannie, right?" Braon asks, confirming the girl's identity before getting into the meat of this conversation. She sets the parcel down on the table nearby, letting her arm rest up against it. "Have you got a minute? I want to talk to you about what happened the other night."

Like that wasn't a few months ago.

"I can come back later if now's a bad time." She adds hastily. From what she remembers of this girl, she expects the encounter is going to turn hostile immediately. Khannie does not seem to be the forgiving type, and Braon, while attempting to do something charitable, isn't going to put up with too much harshness. Entering this conversation with one foot already out the door seems preferable to waiting for Khannie to yell at her and having to run off anyway because GLoG would not look kindly on her tossing the little urchin into the lake. At least this way, she can claim she planned to leave from the outset.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Ironwood Cabin]

Tuskfang shakes his head. This, at least, is a question he can easily answer.

"No, I'm a woblin. Because my dad's a Wolfen and my mom's a goblin. So I'm both. My siblings look more like Wolfen than goblins."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironwood Cabin

There is another pause before a question is posed.
If β was made by a wolfen and a spirit, does that make them something new as well?
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Ironwood Cabin]

Tuskfang considers this question for a long while. Gears turn in his fuzzy little head. But he doesn't know the answer.

"I don't know. But I bet my dad does. We should ask him."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Grounds]

Initially Khannie makes a noncommittal acknowledgement noise. The gears in her head are turning and she's steadily zeroing in on a solution. Obviously someone is talking to her but she hasn't registered WHO yet because that would require splitting up her focus.

Khannie is pretty good at multitasking for the most part. Anyone proficient with illusions is. But when she's doing MATH that requires her sole focus.

After a minute or so of awkward silence she looks up from her book and-

"Huh?"
A moment passes.
A look of recognition flickers across her face.
An expression akin to the one people make when they step in something noisome.
"Oh. It's you. What do you want?"

She's hardly even making any noise at all right now!

Except the bell, she guesses, but the bell isn't even that loud!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Ironwood Cabin

The spirit seems amenable to this course of events. It floats over, hovering quietly around Tuskfang's head as it invites him to take the lead, as it does not know who or where the woblin's father is.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Ironwood Cabin]

"Okay!" Tuskfang hops off his bed and goes in search of his dad. He should be somewhere in the cabin.