The Twofold Houses

Personal homes and private lots.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: The Twofold Houses

Post by Keeper »

The Garden

G'nichi attempts to gently pull Adir aside by a few feet so they can talk without the kiddos hearing them.
Well.
More than a few feet. Annie has dog ears. Maybe. Probably.
"So um. What are your thoughts? I can promise that the kids have never done any harm for as long as I've known them." Which isn't very long but...
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

The Garden

"I think I can help. She seems... fine. Like a kid stuck in the wrong body." Adir glances over. "If you want, we could organize a playdate. And I can give you a few fathering tips. Like maybe how to help get her to listen." Adir winks.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[The Garden]

"Um, to look pretty, obviously!" Lucy stands on the opposite side of the garden box and looks across at Annie curiously. She's a bit scrutinizing, really, but she's still trying to figure Annie out.
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[The Garden]

The only way to get children to listen is with parental sorcery.

Everyone knows that.

And Annie?

Come on, she isn't that hard to figure out.

She's just a kid!

Who is also a headless ghost dog.

Easy.

"So you get to help with the flowers and trees and things? I wish I wasn't a ghost there are too many things I'm not allowed to do,"
Annie huffs. "Jeb thinks being a ghost is fun but he's dumb."

Possibly the dumbest.

What's she mean, she's not allowed to do things? Like G'Nichi doesn't allow her to do stuff?

And she seems awfully coherent for a ghost. Like Casper or something!
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Aug 29, 2022 2:01 pm [The Big One Oh]

Wenomir does as Ambrosia had expected. He makes a low attack, aiming below her blade, but turns it into an attack from the side towards her arm at the last moment. He's testing her reactions as much as trying to score a hit.
[Chitchat]

"And she even has some special talents doesn't she? The kids mentioned that she was some kind of 'wizard'. Which is also a bit like me. Curious." Cessie smiles to herself as she considers these facts.

[The Big One Oh]

Wenomir goes for a feint and Ambrosia feels she have to try to do the unexpected to come out on top here.
She reads his movements and as he comes for her arm she suddenly let's go with it and drops it low for a moment to get it out of the way. Causing her to almost drop her own weapon in the process. But there was a plan here, as much of a plan that you can make up at a moment's notice, as she suddenly moves in and attempts to grab Wenomir's sword hand now that her own wasn't holding anything.
If she could disarm him it would be all over.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Chitchat]

"Um, mmhm." Sakura looks deeply concerned as she processes all this. "Oh! But this is good, right? That must just mean I like her kinda the same way I like you, and we're best friends." Even as Sakura finishes this sentence, she's starting to look uncertain about her logic.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[The Big One Oh]

Ambrosia succeeds; Wenomir didn't anticipate such a move and couldn't mount a defense in time. She's got him right where she wants him now, but he's determined to give it his all until the end. He releases his sword from his right hand, letting it drop and grabbing it with his left hand. With which he will then thrust, trying to strike Ambrosia in the stomach. It will be an awkward motion, trying to wield a hand-and-half sword with only his non-dominant hand, but it's his last chance at victory.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Chitchat]

That makes Cessie laugh in a way she rarely does. The kids might just wonder what the two were up to. "Sorry, but I never got the impression that was the case. Unless you've been checking me out all this time of course. Jezebel might get jealous now."

[The Big One Oh]

Awkward indeed, since if he's trying to release the sword while she's grappling him he will find it difficult to do so as she's gripping his right hand firmly. But at the same time she has a hard time finishing the fight as her own sword has ended up in an inconvenient angle. It's held nearly horizontal in-between them. Making it difficult to try to thrust it into Wenomir as she can't get enough momentum for a slash.

So instead she has to make him come to the sword.

While holding it firmly she attempts to pull his hand hand backwards (as in towards her) to make him fall into her sword before he can drop his own.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Woblin Sleepover]

"A shaman is a very valuable role! I'm sure your father will be proud to have you follow his footsteps." Calanthe nods approvingly. She raises an eyebrow towards the two Frescots, amused by the banter between them. "My, really? That's fascinating, I had no idea such a thing could manifest like that - it was my understanding that Cessie was simply some manner of innate sorceress."

The witch looks from Cern to Gwydion. "Not entirely," she responds, smiling. "Shamans tend to work with spirits, and I believe play more of a social role as a facet of a community - perhaps you can tell us more, Tuskfang?"
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Chitchat]

"Ah, Cessie!" Sakura protests once more. "That's not what I meant! Not that you're not pretty, it's just-" The dryad puts her hands on her cheeks, squishing her face. "Why does my life have to be complicated?"
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Big One Oh]

Wenomir tries to dig his heels in, but Ambrosia is stronger and has more leverage. He's pulled towards her sword. He winces when the blade touches him, but then nods.

"It seems the fight is yours," he declares.

[Woblin Sleepover]

Tuskfang assumes a very serious expression. This is important! He has to properly describe his dad's job.

"Yeah! Dad talks to spirits. Makes sure they're nice to people and people are nice to them. He asks them to do stuff sometimes. They protect the campsite where we live. Mom can see them to but that's because spirits gave her a gift. Goblins don't have shamans."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Chitchat]

Cessie pats Sakura on the back. "I'm just teasing. Sakura. Your life is great, this is just a new and interesting experience to deal with." She stifles a laugh. "Since what's the worst thing that can happen here? Nothing has changed between us, right?"

[The Big One Oh]

Ambrosia quickly pulls back and takes a deep breath in the same motion that she bows before Wenomir. "An honor." She remarks, still sounding out of breath. That had been more tense than a sparring match for a children's birthday party had any right to be. Wenomir was just so fast. If this had been for real...
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Garden

"They're all like that. Well, except maybe Jeb. He likes being what he is. Fae don't seem to like being pinned down being told what to do." G'nichi snickers. "But that might also just be because they're children. I'd take any advice you can give.
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

Gullara wrote: Aug 26, 2022 11:47 pm
[Big Talks]

"I don't think that's how it works." Bastion muses about Ariel's question.

"I'm not a princess anyway. I'm a sword girl." Cora stresses. That's way better than being a princess, no offence to Laela.

The kids are quickly getting distracted apparently, but thankfully Jillian is still paying attention. "Where are their rooms going to be?" She asks curiously.

"Oh! Yeah Ariel's room should be by ours." Cora suggests enthusiastically.

"Do Sergei and Ariel get there own rooms?" Jillian adds. Not that there isn't enough space for them to.

"What about Jezebel's room?" Cora asks too.

"She'll sleep with mom. They're getting married." Bastion answers, a touch of exasperation in his voice.

Cora furrows her brow in thought. "Wait, does that Make Jezebel our mom? And does that make mom Sergei and Ariel's mom?"
Shadowcaller wrote: Aug 27, 2022 7:12 pm
[Big Talks]

Cessie returns the squeeze and nods to Jezzy. "Yes-" She looks to Ariel and Sergei. "-and don't worry about the things you had in the manor. We will put them up in here somewhere. Wherever they will fit. Like the family portrait you have. We will even make a new one with all of us in it at some point."

Turning to her own children, Cessie adds. "So there will be rather messy in here the next months as we're going to be setting up Ariel and Sergei's rooms. We're going to make the play room on your floor into two rooms and that's where they are going to stay. As for what you should call Jezebel-" She looks to her violet companion. "-well, what does she prefer that you call her?"
[Big Talk]

Ariel would argue that being a Sword Girl doesn't necessarily mean you can't be a Princess. It just means you can be a Princess who can rescue herself from danger! But that was a point to be contested later as right now there was more important stuff going on.

"You can call me Mom if you want."
Jezebel says after a moment of consideration. "But if it is more comfortable, you can always call me Jezebel or Jezzy instead." Being called mom was something she felt like had to be earned or wanted by them first. "Though you two..." She adds, looking at Ariel and Sergei. "You two will still call me mom as always." No room for argument on that part, even if she's smiling a bit. "And while things will be messy, we'll be doing our part to make it as smooth of a transition as possible."

"How should we address you?" Sergei asks quietly (and perhaps a touch too formally), considering this turn of events as he looks up at Cessie. Oddly, looking at everything in retrospect, he didn't feel any sort of surprise over this. It just made sense.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Woblin Sleepover]

Rushing from one topic to the other as children do, Cern and Gwydion focus on what Calanthe said about shamans. Cern hangs off his brothers shoulders and peers over him at Tuskfang.

"Whoah! Tuskfang, work with Gwydion's spirit. Tell it to wake up and do cool stuff already."

Gwydion shakes his head and just waits for Tuskfang to explain it a bit better.

[The Garden]

"Well, how long are you planning on taking care of these little dudes, G'nichi?" Adir asks.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[The Big One Oh]

Cora comes rushing over to the two fighters when the fight resolves. "Wow that was so awesome!" She shouts, despite being right next to them. It seems she's not too disappointed that her mentor lost.

[Chitchat]

"No. It's just I was talking about the whole Calanthe situation! I didn't need this whole thing too." Sakura waves her hand indistinctly. The she laughs. "Imagine if we'd ended up together somehow. What a funny thought, huh?"

[Big Talk]

The kids exchange some looks. "Um, I dunno." Cora breaks the silence first, as she usually does.

"What do you think, mom?" Bastion turns to Cessie. The others look at her expectantly as well.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Big One Oh]

"I'm glad you enjoyed it, Cora. And learned something. Ambrosia fights differently than I do, doesn't she? And she won by using it against me." Seems Wenomir is taking an opportunity to teach Cora something.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Big Talk]

"I think you should address her however you like." Cessie looks pointedly at her older daughter. "After all, that's what you're going to do anyway, isn't it Cora?" Then she looks to Ariel and Sergei. "And the same goes for you to me. Use whatever feels natural for you. It's not something I'm not going to make a big deal of." Unless it's something unsavory of course but she didn't think any of the children had that bad manners so she wasn't even going to mention it.

[The Big One Oh]

"Just happy I got the chance to duel your mentor once more, Cora. It's always quite an experience." Ambrosia remarks, having relatively to add as she's still trying to regain her center after that exertion. Especially as this seemed to be Wenomir's moment of teaching Lady Mithar's daughter something new.

[Chitchat]

Now that's a subject Cessie don't feel terribly comfortable with. "I can't really imagine that, honestly. I think I simply have trouble thinking of you as anything but a friend at this point." She gestures to her. "I mean, unlike any of my spouses you've actually stayed with me no matter what. So I think I prefer you as a friend as ironically it makes you feel closer than anyone else. I mean-" The sorceress leans in conspiratorially and half-whispers. "-there isn't anything Jezebel knows that you don't."
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Sep 05, 2022 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[The Big One Oh]

That was interesting.

And fun!

Speed versus precision.

It reminds Lapis that both are very important. It reminds her of the precepts of the Law of Perfect Steps, a sword law that combines and understanding of both in its application. To know the Law of Perfect Steps is to know this: that all the cosmos is but a single stride from the tip of one's sword.

"That was lots of fun I really loved the part where Mister Wenomir went woosh!" Lapis interjects making a wooshing motion with one hand. "When will Cora learn to do fast moves and jumps and things?"

Cora learning to do fast moves and jumps and things will definitely make practicing with her WAY more fun.

"Did you still want to try some practicing with me and swords Cora or is it cake time already?"

Cake time is deeply important.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Woblin Sleepover]

Calanthe stifles another chuckle at Cern's interjection, but otherwise listens to Tuskfang rather respectfully. It's his subject to tell about, after all. "Your people must be very proud to have him."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Chitchat]

Sakura giggles, having expected Cessie's discomfort. Though she gets a bit more out of it than expected! "Aw Cessie! You're right, I'll always be there for you. You know I love you as much as I could love anyone." She's practically glowing at this point.

[The Big One Oh]

Cora has to catch herself after a moment of being caught off guard. Right, that wasn't just purely for show. Anything sword-related isn't. "Um, yeah she definitely does. And her sword is different." Cora replies, though Wenomir can recognize when he's caught his student off guard.

"I think it's cake time." Bastion cautions, approaching the group from behind. "All the icing's going to melt if we leave it too long." He supplies additionally. It's quite a warm day and they've been busy with other activities for a while now.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Chitchat]

"Well, I'm glad I could make you happier." Cessie gestures to her friend. "See? You're instantly feeling better." She points out.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Woblin Sleepover]

"It's not that kinda spirit. And I'm not a shaman yet." Tuskfang huffs, his fur standing up a bit. It's something a threatening display, but on someone his age it just looks adorable. "They are proud to have him! A shaman is a very important person."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Chitchat]

Sakura laughs. "I guess so. I'm still uncertain if I'm worrying over nothing, but I guess all I can do is wait right now."
Rebonack wrote: Sep 01, 2022 7:37 pm [The Garden]

The only way to get children to listen is with parental sorcery.

Everyone knows that.

And Annie?

Come on, she isn't that hard to figure out.

She's just a kid!

Who is also a headless ghost dog.

Easy.

"So you get to help with the flowers and trees and things? I wish I wasn't a ghost there are too many things I'm not allowed to do,"
Annie huffs. "Jeb thinks being a ghost is fun but he's dumb."

Possibly the dumbest.

What's she mean, she's not allowed to do things? Like G'Nichi doesn't allow her to do stuff?

And she seems awfully coherent for a ghost. Like Casper or something!
[The Garden]

"Uh huh, I help with lots of stuff." Lucy confirms.

The observations of Annie she's developed make more sense with this context. "A ghost? Like a spooky ghost on Scooby Doo? Or, like a spirit? I'm friends with some of those." She adds. The potential for this being a sensitive topic is lost on her.
~Images by Soushiyo
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Woblin Sleepover]

"So what are you gonna do, once you're a very important person? How come you wanna be one?" Cern will ask Tuskfang as they all trundle along. Gwydion is preoccupied now searching for mushrooms to chat with.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Chitchat]

"I suppose so. But I really should speak to her at one point. Especially considering you already seem to have such a close relationship to her. She must leave quite the impression." Cessie pauses for a moment. "Do you know what made her decide to take this career? Since caretaker and mage is an unusual job combination I must admit."
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

Gullara wrote: Sep 04, 2022 6:28 pm [Big Talk]

The kids exchange some looks. "Um, I dunno." Cora breaks the silence first, as she usually does.

"What do you think, mom?" Bastion turns to Cessie. The others look at her expectantly as well.
Shadowcaller wrote: Sep 05, 2022 9:53 am [Big Talk]

"I think you should address her however you like." Cessie looks pointedly at her older daughter. "After all, that's what you're going to do anyway, isn't it Cora?" Then she looks to Ariel and Sergei. "And the same goes for you to me. Use whatever feels natural for you. It's not something I'm not going to make a big deal of." Unless it's something unsavory of course but she didn't think any of the children had that bad manners so she wasn't even going to mention it.
The Big Talk

The two siblings turn and look at each other for a bit, silently trying to figure out what the other was thinking before turning away. Sergei starts mouthing "mom", "mother", and "Lady Mithar", trying to figure out which one he's comfortable with, but Ariel just turns towards her soon-to-be siblings. "Is it okay if I call her mom too?" She asks, believing it to be polite to make sure and get permission from those three as well. Ariel is far more relaxed about it than her brother, who turns back to look at Cessie and his mother. It's subtle, but there's a bit of frustration there as he can't seem to make up his mind, but eventually he comes to a conclusion.

Sergei slips from his chair, tucking it back into his seat and straightens his hair for a moment before giving a half bow towards Cessie. "Th-Thank you for taking us in and having us as family. M-Mother." He sounds serious, nervous, and his cheeks are incredibly red in a display of particularly rare display of embarrassment, but its possible that out of all present he's the most thrown to the whirlwind by the changes. Even if the others insisted on not making a big deal of it, he felt this was necessary at least.

Jezebel simply smiles a little, but allows the others to sort this out without her speaking up on this particular matter. Sergei was always a bit stiff and formal and would have to learn to relax a little more.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[The Big One Oh]

Wenomir nods.

"We'll go over it during our next lesson." He's not going to distract Cora from her party. "For now, it seems there's cake in need of defeating."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Big Talk]

Ariel seems to embolden the other kids. "Okay, I'll call you mom." Cora says to Jezebel. Bastion and Jillian echo the sentiment. That's all cleared up then!

[Chitchat]

Sakura blows air through her lips. The prospect of Cessie's first suggestion still seems risky to her. "Um, not exactly. Adir handled most of the stuff for hiring her. I'm pretty sure she's worked with kids in some other way before, though, so this isn't entirely new for her. But the magic stuff is more to do with her upbringing. She was raised in a coven of witches, she told me." She explains.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Big Talk]

Cessie clears her voice as she shared Sergei's awkwardness to this situation. Major changes like this didn't come easily to her either. Indeed, perhaps the children had a much easier time with all this than her.

Still, she doesn't try to show any of her unease and calmly nods as they start declaring names to call them. "As long as you're comfortable saying it. I won't be policing anything. Just do what comes natural." She nods again and then pauses for a moment as to signal that part of the 'big talk' was over. "That said, it's probably going to take time for you to adjust to all the changes that will happen around here now. For instance, you will have to introduce Sergei and Ariel to the Frescots and explain the situation to them. They've already heard it from their parents but I think they need to hear it from you too." 'The Frescots' usually refereed to the Frescot children in this household. "Since you're all likely to be playing together now."

[Chitchat]

"Oh, a coven? That's fascinating. I've read about such things though I doubt any of them apply to her. Or..." Cessie pauses thoughtfully. "So she must have been raised communally then? It would explain why she's so good with children. Kind of like a early-age school in a way. Is she using her craft in her work? I've seen some wizards infuse spirits into brooms and other implements to help with cleaning." She tries to keep the conversation quite light as it would be easy to be judgmental here. Since far from everything she has heard about wizards (and witches) has been positive.