The Twofold Houses

Personal homes and private lots.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: The Twofold Houses

Post by Rebonack »

[The Garden]

Like a ghost or a spirit.

Annie seems thoughtful at this question.

IS she like those things? "I'm really good at being spooky. I got to come here 'cuz I'm haunting G'Nichi."

That sounds pretty spooky.

"What's the difference between a ghost and a spirit?"
she asks curiously. She really isn't terribly clear on what the distinction is. No one has ever discussed spook taxonomy with her before.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Murkus wrote: Sep 04, 2022 11:13 am
[The Garden]

"Well, how long are you planning on taking care of these little dudes, G'nichi?" Adir asks.
The Garden

G'nichi opens his mouth and then closes it. He looks at Adir for a few seconds before responding.
"I have no idea. They're probably immortal, and I'm probably long-lived now, so we have quite a good deal of time, but I don't know if trusting them to someone else would be better for them in the long run."
Trying to foist them onto someone else might give them the impression that he thinks they're a nuisance.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Chitchat]

Sakura puts her finger on her chin. "I'm not sure about that. She's mentioned her 'moms' before, so I guess there's some sorta, uh, regular parent child stuff going on? But I'm not exactly sure how things worked. Maybe I should ask more questions." She shakes her head at the next part, though. "I've never seen her do anything like that. She knows how to do some sorta medicine stuff, though? Like one time Cern scraped his knee really bad and she made up some stuff she put on it to help. But that's not really magic stuff."
~Images by Soushiyo
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[The Garden]

"Um..." Lucy wrinkles up her nose and thinks very hard about thta. "There's lots of spirits all over the place. I can see them sometimes. They just kinda are around and parts of things. Um, ghosts... I just see ghosts on TV shows. Like they spook people and cause trouble."
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[The Garden]

Annie, likewise, thinks about this very hard.

It is, no doubt, a deeply important subject.

"There were things in the scary place the bad goblins called shades. I think they were people who didn't know who they were anymore; people that lost their Names," Annie reasons. "Those are a sort of spirit, maybe? I'm not like that I know who I am! I'm Annie! But also people can only see me sometimes."

And with that she vanishes.

There's a sound like dragging chains.

If Lucy listens carefully she should be able to tell about where the yeth hound is. She doesn't have to guess for long, though, since Annie suddenly blinks back in, her hound skull of spooky purple smoke briefly flashing into view along with her ghostly body.

"Boo!"

Looks like she's trying to give Lucy a frighten.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Morty wrote: Sep 07, 2022 7:27 pm [Woblin Sleepover]

"It's not that kinda spirit. And I'm not a shaman yet." Tuskfang huffs, his fur standing up a bit. It's something a threatening display, but on someone his age it just looks adorable. "They are proud to have him! A shaman is a very important person."
Murkus wrote: Sep 12, 2022 1:24 am [Woblin Sleepover]

"So what are you gonna do, once you're a very important person? How come you wanna be one?" Cern will ask Tuskfang as they all trundle along. Gwydion is preoccupied now searching for mushrooms to chat with.
[Woblin Sleepover]

Gwydion won't have to look long for him to find a few prospective choices. Near the base of a tree he can find a cluster of large red mushrooms, their caps speckled with white dots. A small ring of flat, pale brown mushrooms crests into the lawn as well, and a scattered line of large white puffballs seems to be emerging out of the grasses nearby.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Woblin Sleepover]

"I'm gonna talk to spirits and make sure they get along with us. And protect people. And make tools and food and music." Tuskfang seems to have a firm vision of what a shaman does. "...I dunno. My dad is a shaman and I can see spirits too. It makes sense."
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Woblin Sleepover]

"That does sound cool," Cern encourages, smiling at the Woblin. An important job for sure.

"Hey, these are pretty!" Gwydion points out, sliding into a kneeling position beside the red capped mushrooms.

[The Garden]

"Didn't you mention there was some chance they might be changed back? If we treat them like kids, take care of them, and so on?" Adir asks. "You can't look after them forever, man. Will they... grow up? As this? If we don't know any of this, it might be time to get some more information before moving forward."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[The Garden]

Lucy is contemplative about Annie's explanation. She's pretty sure she's never heard of anything like that. She almost missed when Annie vanishes, but her head swivels back that direction. Her keen hearing can follow Annie pretty well, but even so it's startling! "Eep!" She squeaks and tips back away from Annie. "Don't do that!" She complains, none too seriously.
~Images by Soushiyo
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

Gullara wrote: Sep 13, 2022 2:23 pm [Big Talk]

Ariel seems to embolden the other kids. "Okay, I'll call you mom." Cora says to Jezebel. Bastion and Jillian echo the sentiment. That's all cleared up then!
Shadowcaller wrote: Sep 13, 2022 3:03 pm [Big Talk]

Cessie clears her voice as she shared Sergei's awkwardness to this situation. Major changes like this didn't come easily to her either. Indeed, perhaps the children had a much easier time with all this than her.

Still, she doesn't try to show any of her unease and calmly nods as they start declaring names to call them. "As long as you're comfortable saying it. I won't be policing anything. Just do what comes natural." She nods again and then pauses for a moment as to signal that part of the 'big talk' was over. "That said, it's probably going to take time for you to adjust to all the changes that will happen around here now. For instance, you will have to introduce Sergei and Ariel to the Frescots and explain the situation to them. They've already heard it from their parents but I think they need to hear it from you too." 'The Frescots' usually refereed to the Frescot children in this household. "Since you're all likely to be playing together now."
The Big Talk

Jezebel looks very pleased by how quickly things seemed to have been accepted, though she at least keeps back the grin she was wanting to show. It'd would have been a little much. Ariel slips from her seat and immediately heads to give her new siblings a hug, one a piece. There is a surprising amount of strength and restraint both in her arms, but at least she's graceful during it all like a self proclaimed "princess" should be.

On his way back to his seat, Sergei pauses when he hears the Frescots mentioned. He'd heard just how many of them there were and his head was already spinning...

The boy lets out a breath, steadying himself and his nerves when he gets back and settles in. Still, he has one question if the decorum might want them to move on for a moment. "Can I keep up my sword training?" He asks, a little unsure but definitely sounding eager to do so.

"I'm sure the young master will be perfectly allowed to do so."
The refined voice of Charles speaks up as he takes his cue from the pause in conversation to bring in the cake that was promised. The man-servant's arms are lined with small plates and cutlery which he starts setting out in front of everyone. "And before you ask, I will also remain on hand. Now, just be good and settle down for a moment and behave at the dinner table with your siblings. Unlike a certain someone used to do when younger." He adds, ruffling Ariel's hair a bit while giving Jezebel a knowing, humorous glance. He inclines his head polite to Cessie when he sets down her plate. "And from the bottom of my heart, thank you, Lady Mithar. I find the city was starting to disagree with my old bones."

Sergei looks relieved, but before he takes a bite of the dessert, he leans over to Cora a bit. "There's a bunch of swords here too, right?" He whispers like he wasn't going to be overheard by everyone.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Shed]

Adir is here, working at something with a knife. If you didn't know him, you might find the scene a concerning one: the stag with his hands soaked in blood, a long straight knife in one, the other peeling away at a section of skin on the outside of a monstrous looking canid-like creature. He has a small heap of such things, each one about the size of a large dog, set aside partly obscured by a tarp. He's frustratedly sawing through some gristle to which the skin of the first beast is fixed.

The creatures aren't at all dogs, really - or even dog related. They seem to be quite hairless, with long flattened snouts like an alligator and numerous jutting teeth. Thin, leonine tails extend in gray ropes from their rears. The meat beneath their skin is rich and red. They seem to have been gutted and drained of blood before they were brought back to the property.

Adir's stripped down partly for this - just wearing a pair of paint-stained old jeans that have already seen plenty of abuse and a leather hunting vest, a grim old thing he doesn't wear around the family very much. He has a spot in the shed where he can hose himself off, and he has no old shirts or shoes left that he wants to ruin with blood.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Shed]

As Adir works, he may hear footsteps approaching before the side door to the shed opens. "Oh! Erm, I hope I'm not interrupting," Calanthe excuses, stepping onto the lower floor in her usual combination of green dress and hiking boots. She doesn't head up the stairs immediately though, instead pausing to regard Adir and the strange creatures below with idle interest.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Morty wrote: Sep 13, 2022 9:08 pm [Woblin Sleepover]

"I'm gonna talk to spirits and make sure they get along with us. And protect people. And make tools and food and music." Tuskfang seems to have a firm vision of what a shaman does. "...I dunno. My dad is a shaman and I can see spirits too. It makes sense."
Murkus wrote: Sep 15, 2022 12:31 am [Woblin Sleepover]

"That does sound cool," Cern encourages, smiling at the Woblin. An important job for sure.

"Hey, these are pretty!" Gwydion points out, sliding into a kneeling position beside the red capped mushrooms.
[Woblin Sleepover]

"It sounds like you have things figured out. That's rare for a boy your age." There's something akin to respectful approval in her voice as she regards the woblin before Gwydion draws her attention elsewhere.

"Oh! Yes, these are perfect, Gwydion. Excellent work, cricket." Calanthe smiles as she approaches, kneeling beside the icier Frescot. "Here - I will need to do a bit of work for you three to listen in, if you don't mind stepping back?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Shed]

Adir's ears perk up when he sees Calanthe, as they often do. Generally she can probably tell they stray up when he sees anybody he likes. His face breaks out in that infectious grin. He looks like a total doofus all smeared with red and smiling so broadly. "Hey, not at all," says the stag. He glances down at the mess on his hands, some of which has strayed onto his front. "Sorry about the mess. These things were, uh, prowling a little close to some of the 'burbs on the edges of Southside and I had to go deal with them. Didn't think there would be so many. At least they're tasty, but it's gonna be a helluva lotta work."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Shed]

"Oh, it's nothing that I haven't seen before," Calanthe dismisses with a wave, a soft smile on her lips. And indeed, the messy sight doesn't seem to perturb her much. Her eyes linger on Adir's red-stained physique for a moment, but the feeling is a touch more clinical than the look he'd seen the other night.

"Sometimes I forget that you fight for a living. Hard to picture when you're rocking Finian to sleep." She takes a couple steps closer, starting to circle Adir's workspace. "My, what a fascinating creature. I can imagine why they wanted you to deal with them. Need any help?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Shed]

"Well, now, I only used to fight for a living. Allegedly I'm some kind of diplomat now," Adir tells her, holding up his gleaming bloodsoaked knife and nodding very peaceably. He's glad she isn't too ick'd out by the mess. "Besides. If you can't fight for your kids, at least a little, you aren't much of a dad in my book. It's my job."

"This thing really is interesting. I've never seen anything like it before. Think that means I get to name it?" Adir says, giving that winning grin again. Then his eyebrows rise, just slightly. "Help? You wanna help me get these cleaned? Geez, I wouldn't wanna ruin that pretty dress."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Shed]

"I prefer to avoid bloodshed if I can, but it is an occupational hazard living outside of the cities at times," Calanthe responds somewhat neutrally, as if idly considering the point. She wasn't sure she entirely agreed, but it was important for any parent to be able to stand up for their child in her eyes. And of course, in the Nexus danger never really was as far away as you imagined - the Riverside invasion had taught them all that.

"Of course, I'm not unused to a bit of mess - although you do have a point." As casually as if she were removing a coat, the witch starts to undo the buttons of her blouse, shrugging it off and setting it aside before doing the same to her skirt. Fortunately, she's wearing a fairly utilitarian set of green breeches beneath the latter - though the same can't be said for the shirt, the action leaving her chest covered with only a similarly simple and practical bra.

"Well, let's get started," Calanthe states rather matter-of-factly, hands on her hips as if there wasn't anything socially awkward about what she'd just done.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Shed]

Adir's notions about a particular parent's job do seem to be somewhat old fashioned, though he doesn't seem like the type who'd argue the point vigorously. Cessie, for example, certainly doesn't need any help protecting her little loved ones, and she's no 'dad'. It's merely how he views his role: as a sort of duty, brought on by his past, his body, the way he was raised, the circumstances of his life. He's obligated to protect the ones he loves, he has the strength, and so like most ordinary men, the responsibility of protection falls to him.

Not that he minds. He'd jump into a fight for a stranger off the street. He's just that type of guy. Or that type of fool, if you prefer cynicism.

Adir starts to open his mouth again when Calanthe begins to pop her buttons. He half grins, looks away at first, spins his knife and clunks it in the top of the table. He'll reach underneath and retrieve some other tools as Calanthe is undressing.

He sets some things out, some extra blades, and finally looks up when the bunny speaks again. He raises his gaze, scans her just once, arching his eyebrow. Thank goodness all that time around mostly nude people prepared him for this. He's no stranger to a little bit of skin.

Still. There are regular looking folks, there are folks you'd rather not see naked, and then there are women like Calanthe.

He beckons her closer and spins a slim knife in his hand, holding it out hilt first. "You are an absolute doll. I really appreciate it. Or maybe you're just angling for a raise?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Woblin Sleepover]

"I've seen those mushrooms in the woods at home!" Tuskfang pipes up as he steps back. "Dad says you shouldn't eat them. Mom says not even goblins can eat them."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Shed]

"It wouldn't be the first time I've stripped for money," Calanthe remarks rather casually, accepting the hilt of the knife with a glimmer of enigmatic mischief. "But really, it's no trouble at all. I am all too happy to lend a hand, and it's a manner of work I'm not unfamiliar with."

Knife in hand, the rabbit steps back over to the carcass and kneels down, She looks over the body, examining Adir's progress so far. "Hm, shame you didn't keep the guts. Good ritual material." With that, she begins to to pick up where he left off.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Woblin Sleepover]

Gwydion takes a little bit of pride in the compliment - and another of Calanthe's little names. More than one of the kids find it endearing that she refers to them that way. He crouches down behind the nanny, trying to give her a little space.

"Dad says just not to eat anything we find in the forest without asking him first," Cern says, peering over Calanthe's shoulder. Very simple. "I bet your dad and mine know a lot of the same stuff, Tuskfang."

[The Shed]

Adir's eyebrows rise more than incrementally this time, and she plucks the knife from the stunned stag's hand. "Whoah, whoah, hang on, you are not slipping that one by me. You used to-- used to strip?" Adir asks. That definitely unbalanced him. He tries hard not to reassess the assets Calanthe must have used for this profession, but he can't help wondering. "Was this to put you through witch college?"

Adir is at least part of the way done with the first creature. Adir lets her continue, picking up another beast one handed and setting it down on the table with a thud as a fisherman might prepare his catch for butchering.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Murkus wrote: Sep 15, 2022 12:31 am
[The Garden]

"Didn't you mention there was some chance they might be changed back? If we treat them like kids, take care of them, and so on?" Adir asks. "You can't look after them forever, man. Will they... grow up? As this? If we don't know any of this, it might be time to get some more information before moving forward."
The Garden

"Well, I was told that will be good for their souls. Help them reclaim who they were. I don't know if it will get them their bodies back. That's something Kara might know more about." G'nichi shakes his head. "Grow up? I can't imagine so. Fae can't change their masks by themselves."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Shed]

Calanthe blinks herself, a little surprised by how seriously Adir takes the remark. He is, however, not off the mark. "Erm, yes, in a manner of speaking. More than strip, really. That's... not a problem, is it?" There's a flash of worry across her features as she pauses, regarding the Frescot's reaction closely. She hadn't just talked herself out of this job, right?
~Welcome to Night Vale
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Post Party Cake Eating]

Lapis?

She's enjoying her cake.

The party was so much fun she loved it! It took a long time but that's okay all the things in the Game always take a long time. That just means Lapis has more time to consider it and enjoy all the details! Like this cake! It's really tasty and she's taking little bites at a time. Unlike Cora, who is attacking her cake with the same wild abandon and reckless lack of restraint that she approaches most things.

That's fun to watch, too!

Lapis loves everything about her friends. Their home and their mom and them and- and everything!

It's all really nice.

So!

Eating cake and-

Oh.

Hmm.

This feels important, somehow. More than it did a moment ago. Lapis' brow knits as she glances around, trying to figure out why all of a sudden this feels like a Quest when it felt like the birthday quest was already over. Something bad isn't going to happen, is it? The Mithar's house is safe AND Mister Wenomir is here so there's no way it could be something bad, right?

[Garden]

The initial response to Lucy's half-hearted scold is laughter.

Laughter and Annie bounding around the planter box in that playful way dogs do when they're excited about something that just happened. A very playful sort of bounding, bouncing here and there as the ghostly skull-head wisps away out of sight again. It's very odd and apparently her head doesn't stay visible for the most part? Wow are ghosts ever weird.

"Haha, sorry! But I've gotta. If I'm spooking people that counts as haunting so I'm allowed to be here. There are rules," she says, the unvarnished disgust in her voice making it pretty clear that she doesn't approve of these dreadful rules.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Garden]

"Well, I suppose all you can do for now is... carry on. But if you don't want this to be your responsibility til' the end of time, you might wanna look into how we can get their bodies back to them. We can talk to this Kara, and I know some people who can hopefully help. I mean, shouldn't that be the goal, here? Do you really want your whole life to be looking after them? That doesn't seem fair to you or these little ones."

[The Shed]

"Hey, no, no, that's not what I meant! And the whole witch college thing, that was a joke," Adir holds his hands up with his palms out in a conciliatory gesture. He laughs to try to help diffuse her worries. "I just... you sometimes say the damndest things. Things I never would expect, coming from you. Caught me off guard."

Adir turns back to the meat on the table, working with his knife for a moment. "More than strip. Okay. Issit... is this something you're okay, you know, talking to me about? Don't feel obligated. I'm your boss, I guess, but... you could pretty much tell me you used to rob banks for a living at this point and I'm not sure I'd bat an eye."
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: Sep 13, 2022 4:32 pm [Chitchat]

Sakura puts her finger on her chin. "I'm not sure about that. She's mentioned her 'moms' before, so I guess there's some sorta, uh, regular parent child stuff going on? But I'm not exactly sure how things worked. Maybe I should ask more questions." She shakes her head at the next part, though. "I've never seen her do anything like that. She knows how to do some sorta medicine stuff, though? Like one time Cern scraped his knee really bad and she made up some stuff she put on it to help. But that's not really magic stuff."
[Chitchat]

"'Magic' is a vague and nebulous concept. Medicine can be a form of 'magic' too, since all magic is just something extraordinary isn't it? Some that heal people with herbs do claim they're using magic of a sort. Apparently wizards consume herbs to connect with spirits for instance. So you should ask her if she considers herself using magic or not. Not that it truly matters but I think things like that are interesting. Like how most people consider me to be using magic for instance. To me that's interesting as I don't." Cessie replies as she recalls getting into that argument a lot after just arriving in the nexus.

[Post Party Cake Eating]

"Hello, Lapis. Considering something?" Ambrosia inquires as she approaches the girl from behind.

But perhaps Lapis train of thought is onto something as there are dark ominous clouds in the distance. She might recall even hearing thunder just as the duel began. But they still seem to be far away and they might even be heading away from the keep. Which is probably good as that's surely a storm brewing.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Shed]

Calanthe blinks. "Oh, good. I was worried you'd thought I actually went to witch college for a moment. Would've been a waste of money." She lets that hang in the air for a moment before breaking out into a teasing smile. "Apologies, it seemed like too good an opportunity to pass up. But yes, I'm perfectly comfortable talking about it. The work was rather enjoyable, and don't feel any shame about it."

"I was a little concerned about how you two might react when you first hired me though, I must admit." The rabbit turns back towards the half-done creature, slicing through gristle to finish removing the skin. "People can be rather prudish about hiring former sex workers, and they become especially sensitive when professions involving children are concerned. Not that I ever got the impression you or Sakura would find it discomforting in my tenure here." The knife works through the strange alligator-hound with an adept familiarity, and Calanthe shows no compunctions working her bare hands between skin and meat and staining them red.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Woblin Sleepover]

"Both of your fathers are quite correct," Calanthe remarks, withdrawing a small vial of crimson liquid from a pocket in her dress and a small brush. "Mushrooms can be incredibly poisonous, and even experts have difficulties telling the lethal ones from the edible ones. Amanita Muscaria here is one such mushroom, though it probably won't kill you."

Calanthe unscrews the top and paints a series of radiating half-circles from the collection of white stalks before them, then turns to the three children. "I need to see one of your hands for a moment," she requests, brush ready.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Woblin Sleepover]

Tuskfang reaches out with his hand, his face full of utmost seriousness. This is magic stuff! That means it's important.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Murkus wrote: Sep 19, 2022 11:00 pm [The Garden]

"Well, I suppose all you can do for now is... carry on. But if you don't want this to be your responsibility til' the end of time, you might wanna look into how we can get their bodies back to them. We can talk to this Kara, and I know some people who can hopefully help. I mean, shouldn't that be the goal, here? Do you really want your whole life to be looking after them? That doesn't seem fair to you or these little ones."
The Garden

"I just don't want to send them away too fast or they might get the wrong idea. As for helping them...well I can help a few at least. Jeb is...he likes being what he is. I get the idea his mortal life was not very pleasant."
G'nichi has done some research on yeth hounds. He will spare Adir the details. It's not great.