The Twofold Houses

Personal homes and private lots.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: The Twofold Houses

Post by Murkus »

[The Shed]

"It sounds better than saying you had your hands all over me, doesn't it?" Adir counters with an arch of his eyebrow. "But I'm glad to hear our little fiction involves you caring so much. I appreciate it." He winks.

The stag goes to fetch those beers. He gives a loud scoff at such a slanderous accusation. "Excuse me, young lady. I should point out that I hadn't drank like that in years until you came along. I think we both know who's influencing whom here." He gives an affable smirk as he twists off the cap and hands Calanthe a dusky bottle of lager with a peculiar winking demon on the front. It has a full bodied, creamy, slightly 'roasted' flavor with the faintest suggestions of coffee and chocolate.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Post Party Cake Eating]

Lapis considers that question very carefully.

When IS her birthday?

That would be when Mother made her, right?

It was during the winter.

It was...

"The twenty second day of January! I haven't ever had a birthday party before I didn't know they were a thing until Cora told me about them. Birthday parties are fun I love them."

Lapis loves many things.

"Oh, well, if it's a quest reward I guess it's okay if I take it?"
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Murkus wrote: Oct 10, 2022 5:56 am [The Shed]

"It sounds better than saying you had your hands all over me, doesn't it?" Adir counters with an arch of his eyebrow. "But I'm glad to hear our little fiction involves you caring so much. I appreciate it." He winks.

The stag goes to fetch those beers. He gives a loud scoff at such a slanderous accusation. "Excuse me, young lady. I should point out that I hadn't drank like that in years until you came along. I think we both know who's influencing whom here." He gives an affable smirk as he twists off the cap and hands Calanthe a dusky bottle of lager with a peculiar winking demon on the front. It has a full bodied, creamy, slightly 'roasted' flavor with the faintest suggestions of coffee and chocolate.
[The Shed]

Erm, yes, I suppose it does." Calanthe swallows, suddenly conscious of how that might sound from an outside perspective - especially when she glances back down at her relative lack of attire. Clearly it's time for some more playful teasing to restore the mood.

"I'll have you know that it would be true if you had been wounded. You may have hired me to care for the children, but I'm starting to suspect you need someone to keep an eye on you too." She grins. "But of course, I am clearly an evil witch who's driven you to drink twice already, so one can only assume that in doing so I am up to no good."

Caps are twisted, and Calanthe looks down to study the design on the bottle with a raised eyebrow before lifting it to her lips and taking a brief swig of the contents. "Hmm, not my usual flavor, but certainly not bad at all." She almost goes for another before remembering to pace herself.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Shed]

"You're saying I need a nanny? Well, shoot. You gonna make me lunches and clean up after me and rock me to sleep, too? Where do I sign up?" He leans one muscular arm on the table, grinning back at her. He scoffs at her joking implication that she's a no-good evil witch. She shouldn't even joke about that!

"I like em'. Get them from a peculiar neighborhood over in Riverside," Adir says. "What do you like to drink? Since you clearly like to drink so much," he eggs, his cheeks dimpled with mirth again.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Shed]

"Only on occasion!" Calanthe protests, folding her arms with a pout. "And I usually prefer wine and sake - believe I still have a bottle or two on my shelves, in fact. Tend to prefer more... fruity food and drink, too. Perhaps I was lucky that your family grows so much." She offers Adir a joking smile.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Arkhosia wrote: Oct 07, 2022 4:50 am [Bedtime]

"In a small town not far from here," Calanthe begins, "there was an oooooold abandoned house. The kind that no one ever went near, because everyone said that something terrible had happened there. They said that when the moon was full, and the night was quiet, just like tonight, one could even hear voices calling from within the house."

"One day, a group of friends were sitting in a coffee shop, and someone asked what the scariest thing must be. One by one, they went around the table, suggesting the things that scared them the most - that is, until a person by the name of Rowan spoke.

'I’m not afraid of anything!' they boasted, beaming with pride.

“Oh yeah?” one of their friends asked. "I’ll bet that you aren’t brave enough to spend a night alone in that old abandoned house!" And Rowan swallowed, knowing all the terrible rumors of just what could be in there. But they did not want to admit they feared the house - and so, they agreed to sleep there that very night."

Calanthe lets the implicit dread of such a decision hang in the air, looking between the audience before turning a page and continuing. "As dusk began to settle, Rowan arrived at the house alone. They checked every room, dreading the way the floorboards creaked under every step - and yet, they found nothing unusual. So they chose an upstairs bedroom, spread out the sleeping bag on the floor, and tried to sleep."
[Bedtime]

Kissa and Malachi hush as the story begins. They hang off Calanthe's every word. More than normal story time the tension here grips them. They watch their nanny with eyes like saucers as they wait eagerly to see what happens next. Kissa's chin sinks deeper into her shark, while Malachi leans in toward Calanthe.
~Images by Soushiyo
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Shed]

"Sake... I have been to exactly one place that actually served sake, that I can remember. I think it was built around some kind of a hot spring," Adir says. He nods. "That's right. This is the place to be, if you want fresh fruit. It's a shame Sakura doesn't actually grow any cherries, though. She just leaves petals everywhere." So many petals.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Shed]

Calanthe leans back and takes another sip. "Mm, I'm not sure I have visited a hot spring since I first left my coven. There was a small natural one in the forest nearby that we would occasionally slip away to visit. Very helpful for all the aches and pains - and I bet you two must have a lot of those managing everyone, even with a helping hand."

[Bedtime]

Looking between her audience, Calanthe can't help but let a soft smile slip across her lips. She gently shifts to better accommodate Malachi leaning in, but doesn't say anything to reassure them just yet - to break their immersion would be horrible indeed.

"Rowan had just begun to doze off... when suddenly, they heard a faint noise from downstairs. They strained to hear what it was... and it sounded like someone moaning these words:" Calanthe leans forward, letting her voice drop to a stage whisper.

'I am the ghost of the wounded finger! I am in the front hall!'

Rowan told themselves that... they was just imagining things. They were letting the house get to them. It must be the wind, they thought - but then they heard, a bit louder,

'I am the ghost of the wounded finger! I am at the bottom of the stairs!'

'My imagination is running wild!' Rowan declared. 'I am just going to go to sleep, and soon it will be morning.' But as soon as they said it, they heard, even louder;"

"'I am the ghost of the wounded finger! I am at the top of the stairs!'”
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

Kissa gets increasingly more antsy as the tension builds. She bounces in place, squeezing her shark closer to her chest. Malachi, meanwhile, has more active contribution. "Run! Hide!" He whispers urgently.

Sakura puts her fingers to her lips to stifle any amused reactions. She wouldn't want to break the tension. She hopes Kissa's not getting too worked up, though.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bedtime]

Calanthe's eyes are shining with relish as she really gets into the story, positively hamming it up for the small audience around her - but she's careful not to let it run too far away from her, mindful of the way Kissa is reacting and moderating her volume to keep from waking Finian.

"Desperate to hide, Rowan dove inside their sleeping bag - but they could still hear the ghost coming closer.

'I am the ghost of the wounded finger! I am in the upstairs hall!'

Rowan buried their head under their pillow - but they could hear the ghost coming even closer.

'I am the ghost of the wounded finger! I am at the bedroom door!'

Rowan shook with terror. The door creeeeeeeaked open.

'I am the ghost of the wounded finger! I am in the bedroom!'

The ghost paused in the doorway.

'I am the ghost of the wounded finger!'

And then, a broad, cheeky grin spreads across Calanthe's features as the façade starts to collapse. She looks between Kissa and Malachi - and the ghost's terrible, bellowing voice deflates into something dopey and bashful as it asks....

“Do you have a bandaid?”
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

The tension is palpable with the kids. Oh no, it's coming!

And then the punchline hits. The kids take a moment to take that in, and then they erupt into giggles. "That's silly!" Kissa says. "They has an owie!" Malachi laughs.
~Images by Soushiyo
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Shed]

"Oh, absolutely. It's so good. Not that we get many chances to go enjoy it. Maybe one of these days, I dunno... We could drag you along with us," Adir suggests. His ears stiffen as he makes a brief realization and he amends, "We, uh, well. Maybe not. It's one of those, you know, clothing optional things." And aside from wearing a suit or something being a bit of a faux pas in such a place, it certainly wouldn't be the same experience.

He obviously doesn't want to make things weird between them. Just because Calanthe used to do sex work doesn't mean she'd be comfortable with more... casual public nudity. She dresses so conservatively, after all!
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Shed]

"Hm, that'd be nice," Calanthe comments, before noticing Adir's body language. She pauses to let him continue, and can't help but smile slightly at the awkward embarrassment that follows. "Oh no, it's quite alright. I may like to button up, but I'm honestly fairly comfortable with those kinds of spaces And besides, I'm sure it won't be anything I haven't seen before."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Shed]

Well, that initial burst of hesitation didn't even show that much in the way of embarrassment. That certainly changes now, however. Adir blushes hotly in the space just under his eyes. "Well, geez, I-- I guess not. I didn't realize that you, uh, that you... That your eyeful was that thorough, I guess." He's surprised she'd mention it in such a blasé tone of voice too! There's that... experience of hers, he supposes. He awkwardly resumes sawing into another of his quarries.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Shed]

Calanthe blinks, ears tilting forward as she cocks her head quizzically for a moment. Then something finally clicks, and her own face darkens in sheer embarrassment. "I - er, no, that's - I mean, I saw a little, yes, but - I-I just meant I'm not unused to nudity in general, not that I'd really, erm, seen the both of you in that context!" It's hard not to let a little panic creep into her voice there.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Shed]

Adir glances up at the ceiling when Calanthe starts to explain herself, rubbing the back of his neck (which is feeling increasingly warm). Geez, he really misinterpreted that one. "I guess-- Phew," Adir takes a breath and runs his hand over his hair, glancing down at the rabbit again. "Sorry. I guess the fact that we-- that you had to see us like that has really been on my mind. We've just got a really good thing with you, here, and I don't want to screw that up. Seriously, you sound like you're worried. Well, don't be. It was our fault. We're gonna have to... you know, be more discrete. Maybe skip the living room."

"...So you..." He works his hands in the air like he's turning a pair of imaginary wheels. "You didn't catch much?"
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Shed]

The witch responds with a nervous chuckle. "Please, don't feel the need to stress about the relationship between the three of us. I'm not personally bothered by the risk of stumbling into the two of you in... erm, compromised positions, shall we say. It's only natural - and after all, we are all adults."

"The only thing that bothers me is making you and Sakura uncomfortable. I don't want to breach any personal boundaries the two of you have, intentionally or not. And I certainly would not want either of us to worry too much over internal anxieties and misunderstandings." She smiles a little awkwardly. "So please, don't let yourself get too worked up over it."

At that last part, Calanthe can't help herself but laugh. "Not much, no - I promise you Adir, I saw nothing particularly explicit. Only enough to realize what was going on, and I certainly didn't look for long once I did."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Shed]

She's really not bothered by that? That's... curious. Adir doesn't know how to respond, at first - thankfully she gives him a good opening a little further down the line. "That's a load off my mind, Calanthe. Really."

"Hey, don't worry about it. Personal boundaries-- well, we're pretty open people. As far as, you know, just talking, not flashing our poor nanny. I guess... maybe I just don't need to worry about it so much. Hell, I think Sakura tells her friend Cessie about almost every detail of our... compromised positions already, so in a way it's all out in the open already." He lets out a gusty laugh. "I haven't got anybody like that. Just... doesn't feel like something I share with guy friends." And he hasn't had any girl friends, aside from maybe Cessie, in a pretty long time.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Shed]

Calanthe nods, perfectly understanding. "I guess I can relate, though I admit I never really thought of myself as such before. There's not a lot I'm uncomfortable discussing with people, I just tend to moderate so that I don't overstep. But frank communication is important. I know that I figured out a lot of things once I learned to better open up and talk to the people around me. And everyone needs someone to talk to about something."

...Although I must admit, I'd never figured Cessie for the type," the witch adds, smiling.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bedtime]

Calanthe smiles, gently closing the book and setting the hefty tome aside. "I'm glad you enjoyed it, that one was a favorite of mine growing up. Though I must admit, it's been quite a while since I read it - and I was worried it was going to be too scary for you for a moment."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

The kids have entered full on babble mode. Calanthe might be realizing that this isn't having the sleep inducing effect that might be desirable. Oh well.

"Why's the ghost so spooky?" "Did Rowan have a bandaid?" "Did they hit their finger with a hammer?" "Do you got another story?"

Their mom takes this opportunity to interjet. She's gotten up and walked up behind the kids. "No more stories tonight. It's sleep time." The kids make their disappointment audible. "There's other story times. Say thank you to Calanthe and get tucked in."

The toddlers echo their thanks. Kissa gives Calanthe a hug, slightly obstructed by her shark, before crawling out of the bed and going over to hers.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bedtime]

"Now now, my dears, I promise I'll have more stories for you tomorrow," Calanthe attempts to assuage. "But for now - lets snuggle up, sleep tight, and not let the bedbugs bite, shall we?" The witch gathers her things and begins to rise - only to be briefly intercepted by Kissa. Although she doesn't say anything, she does seem genuinely touched by the gesture.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

Sakura hands Finian to Calanthe and proceeds to firmly tuck the twins in. She does a little double check of the night light, then they slip out of the room after goodnights are exchanged.

The dryad turns to Calanthe with a big smile. "I think we can put Finian down too." She decides.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bedtime]

Calanthe gently cradles Finian in her arms and watches as Sakura tucks the children in. She really is fantastic at this - though it shouldn't be much of a surprise, considering the amount of practice she's had throughout the years. Would she be as good as that once she finally settled down with someone?

"Hmm? Oh, yes. It is certainly past his bedtime by now, isn't it?" The witch smiles softly, briefly studying that sleeping face.
"I suppose he'll have to miss out on a story of his own now, won't he?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

"I think he might. Don't tell him. He might be jealous." Sakura giggles and leads the way to the baby room, just outside the master bedroom. There's still two cribs set up in this room. A bit unnecessary, but why bother putting the other one away?

Sakura stands at the head of the crib, letting Calanthe do the duty of putting the baby down very carefully. Thankfully Finian is out like a light tonight. It's not always that he's so cooperative.

When Calanthe looks back up she'll find Sakura giving her a sort of dreamy look, until the moment it registers that their eyes just met and Sakura's eyes pop open wide and she straightens up. "Uh, perfect. Now we sneak out."
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bedtime]

Calanthe's actions are delicate and precise as she lowers Finian into his crib, and she takes a moment to observe the sight. Truly unfair just how cute this icy little bab gets to be. Turning back to Sakura, she notices her staring with a gentle titter. "I see we're both a little preoccupied tonight," she quietly remarks, moving to follow.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Arkhosia wrote: Oct 15, 2022 3:59 am [The Shed]

Calanthe nods, perfectly understanding. "I guess I can relate, though I admit I never really thought of myself as such before. There's not a lot I'm uncomfortable discussing with people, I just tend to moderate so that I don't overstep. But frank communication is important. I know that I figured out a lot of things once I learned to better open up and talk to the people around me. And everyone needs someone to talk to about something."

...Although I must admit, I'd never figured Cessie for the type," the witch adds, smiling.
[The Shed]

"I mean, I suppose I've got Sakura in that regard. We're very... frank, with each other. Not a secret between us. But you know, when you've been with someone for as long as I have, when you know all their ins and outs, and they yours, it sometimes feels like you can already guess how a lot of conversations are going to go. Sometimes feels like you need a..." Adir curls his fingers as if gripping an imaginary set of handlebars. "A new perspective. I suppose. That's probably why Sakura chats with Cessie in the first place..." He chuckles.

"Maybe I just haven't got enough friends in general. You know, the kids keep me so busy, and then Sakura, and then my own hobbies..." He glances at the table. "Which tend to be more solitary. If I'm not with the family, I'm usually alone. That's how it's been for a very long time now. I've been good with that. But sometimes it makes me wonder... I don't know. Maybe I'm 'out of touch' with people. With... relationships that aren't the ones I'm so well used to."

Adir's ears wiggle briefly as he realizes he accidentally started doing just what Calanthe suggested - opening up to somebody.

"Oh yeah, though, Cessie... Apparently they share all manner of sordid details," Adir shakes his head, amused.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Shed]

"I certainly can't blame you for being busy with so many mouths to care for," Calanthe observes, nodding. "Perhaps you need to find ways to open up your hobbies. Find people willing to... 'hang out' and join you on hunts or other such things." Like she's doing right now, in fact. "I know I have my own issues with solitary hobbies, even if I'm never entirely alone up in my study."

"I am glad to hear Sakura has found someone she can confide to though," she adds, before giving Adir a teasing look. "Imagine she needs it, as much of a terror as I'm sure we both can be at times."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

Sakura was caught off guard when Calanthe turns her head, and now she's even more caught off guard by that statement. She feels the blood rushing to her cheeks. For now she simply nods and leads them out of the room where Calanthe can close the door behind them.

"I'm- well, sorry I was just... distracted." The dryad fumbles over her words. Geez, this is what she was doing when Adir caught her too wasn't it. "You were lovely with the kids tonight." She tries to pivot quickly.
~Images by Soushiyo
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Shed]

"I don't know if you're the hunting type, but... I could always use some help with things like this," Adir suggests directly, his ears pointing up. They certainly seem to get along well, he wouldn't mind just... hanging out, with Calanthe.

Adir arches his eyebrow. "I'm glad too. They're really good for each other, those two. And I'll readily admit I can get on people's nerves, sometimes... but you? A terror?" He blows air through his lips. "Come on."