The Twofold Houses

Personal homes and private lots.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Re: The Twofold Houses

Post by Arkhosia »

Gullara wrote: Oct 16, 2022 10:20 pm [Bedtime]

Sakura was caught off guard when Calanthe turns her head, and now she's even more caught off guard by that statement. She feels the blood rushing to her cheeks. For now she simply nods and leads them out of the room where Calanthe can close the door behind them.

"I'm- well, sorry I was just... distracted." The dryad fumbles over her words. Geez, this is what she was doing when Adir caught her too wasn't it. "You were lovely with the kids tonight." She tries to pivot quickly.
[Bedtime]

Calanthe blinks when she sees the dryad's expression, entirely clueless as to why she's so flustered all of a sudden. "There's no need to apologize. It's been a busy day for both of us I'm sure, and you weren't getting in the way thinking about... things." She smiles.

"Thank you. I always have a wonderful time helping this time of night, even if some of the kids can be rather rambunctious." Calanthe takes the lead, walking slowly down the hallway. "Now that we have the time to ourselves, though - I was thinking of making a cup of hot chocolate before heading to bed. Interested?"
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Murkus wrote: Oct 17, 2022 12:22 am [The Shed]

"I don't know if you're the hunting type, but... I could always use some help with things like this," Adir suggests directly, his ears pointing up. They certainly seem to get along well, he wouldn't mind just... hanging out, with Calanthe.

Adir arches his eyebrow. "I'm glad too. They're really good for each other, those two. And I'll readily admit I can get on people's nerves, sometimes... but you? A terror?" He blows air through his lips. "Come on."
[The Shed]

"I certainly don't mind lending a hand," Calanthe affirms. "It's work I've done before, and not entirely difficult - though I do agree hunting isn't exactly my skillset. Maybe setting snares and such, but I don't think I would handle a waiting in the trees with a bow very well."

As to the last remark, the witch shrugs. "I don't know about that, I feel like I can be a bit of a menace - like when we were at that dinner earlier." She smiles again, indicating the self-deprecation is entirely playful, though there's a bit of embarrassment.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

Sakura perks up and she smiles. "Yes! I'd love that." She agrees readily. Hot chocolate is warm chocolate milk, and thus amazing. "I could use a a little best of rest, honestly. I've been running around all day, but I don't have to tell you that." Adir may be home now, but he was gone most of the rest of the day.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bedtime]

"Certainly not, I've had to do my own share of running." With a soft chuckle, the witch leads Sakura into the kitchen. Once there, she slides a small pot onto the stove, switches on an electric kettle and begins to rummage through the cupboards above. "Hm, I know I stashed a bar of baker's chocolate around here somewhere - Sakura, be a dear and grab the coconut milk for me, would you?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

The two head downstairs and they pass by the noisy living room where the rest of the family is now. Sakura would normally join or beckon to them, but it might be good to have some adult time. Besides, it's a bit late for the kids to be having such a snack.

"Okay?" There's a bit of a question to Sakura's voice, but she retrieves the carton from the fridge. "I don't think I've had hot chocolate made like this." She observes.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bedtime]

"Oh, this is a recipe I learned back in college," Calanthe explains, withdrawing from a cupboard with a half-used bar of baking chocolate, a container of brown sugar and a tin of cocoa powder. "Milk doesn't always agree with me, so I learned this recipe as a substitute. It's more work than simply heating milk up in the microwave with a spoonful of powder, but I think the result is quite good - ah, thank you my dear."

Calanthe at first sets the carton aside and chops a section of the chocolate bar into slim sections, measuring out her various ingredients. Once the kettle reaches a boil, she pours water into a glass measuring cup and begins to whisk in the cocoa powder. Looking back towards the dryad, a slim smile plays on the face. "Besides, I think I've earned the right to treat you to something nice by now. A show of gratitude for being so wonderful to work with, if you will - or an apology for the other night, if you'd prefer."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

"Oh, you don't have to do that." Sakura protests without much conviction. "You really don't need to apologize, though. I had fun. So let's say the first one. Chocolate milk is the quickest way to my heart, though, so you've been paying attention." She laughs, with a nervous edge to it. Was that weird? She thinks she'd say that to anyone, wouldn't she?
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bedtime]

"Thank you." Calanthe's shoulders relax. "I know I was a little... unprofessional in my conduct, and it did concern me that I may have somehow overstepped and made you uncomfortable. It's reassuring to hear I did not sour the night for you - and I quite enjoyed your company that night too, I must say."

"Mm, I'll keep that in mind. I have noticed that you enjoy it quite a bit." Turning away with a soft chuckle, the witch begins to set sugar and milk to a boil. Soon enough, simmering cream blends into a rich hazelnut brown. "I believe this is ready," she coos, pouring two mugs and adding a stick of cinnamon for each.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Arkhosia wrote: Oct 17, 2022 7:23 pm [The Shed]

"I certainly don't mind lending a hand," Calanthe affirms. "It's work I've done before, and not entirely difficult - though I do agree hunting isn't exactly my skillset. Maybe setting snares and such, but I don't think I would handle a waiting in the trees with a bow very well."

As to the last remark, the witch shrugs. "I don't know about that, I feel like I can be a bit of a menace - like when we were at that dinner earlier." She smiles again, indicating the self-deprecation is entirely playful, though there's a bit of embarrassment.
[The Shed]

"Oh, come on. It's nice! Just you, and the forest, and the high breeze coming in from the west..." Adir looks like he misses it even now. He pauses. "Hey, don't hold back on our account. Witches gotta have fun too, right? We like to hear what you're really thinking!"

"Besides, it's good that whole... thing ended up getting out in the open cuz' of it. Better than having to worry about it in silence. We just need to keep in mind that you've got a mouth like mine, if, you know, you're a few cups deep. For next time," he winks. The stag pauses, something a little more reflective coming over his face. "You know, for a little there at dinner, it was almost like..."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

"Thank you." Sakura beams at Calanthe as she picks up her mug. She gives it a testing sip, tentative for the heat. "Mm, that's so good."

"You shouldn't worry too much about being professional. Cessie would be super concerned about that, but I want you to be open and comfortable. I guess I'm not professional enough to be a proper boss, but I think that's okay. Do you?"
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bedtime]

There's a gentle, slightly faraway smile as Calanthe watches Sakura enjoy her hot cocoa. It was strange - cooking for others was never a chore that she found terribly rewarding, but seeing the dryad relish it made her feel surprisingly content. Was it something about acceptance, or some kind of satisfaction about being able to show off?

It takes a moment for the rabbit to process what Sakura says next, lost in thought again as she is. She chuckles once she does, her voice soft and reflective. "Yes, I suppose you're right. It has been incredibly fulfilling to experience the openness and acceptance your family provides - quite honestly, I don't think I've felt quite so at-home with another group of people in a long time."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

Sakura beams. It's not the first time Calanthe's said that, but it makes Sakura feel nice each time. "I'm so happy you feel that way. Honestly supper that night was so nice. Adir and I don't get out and about like that too often, and I had a lot of fun with both of you. Not that I could have as much fun as you and Adir did since you know." She giggles and pats her belly. No drinks allowed.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Shed]

"The high breeze coming from the west? We might have to start worrying about you fleeing back into the woods if you keep waxing nostalgic, leaving the both of us to fend for ourselves against the teeming horde." Calanthe puts on an expression of mock despair. "And for next time? I didn't expect you to be in favor of getting me drunk." The teasing aside, she does raise a curious eyebrow watching the man muse.

[Bedtime]

The witch chuckles even as she feels her cheeks darken slightly. Sakura had such a lovely smile, and it was hard not to feel a little bashful under the full force of it. "It was delightful for me as well, for what it's worth - even if I must admit, I was not fond of the headache I had the morning after."

Calanthe sips her drink and affixes Sakura with a sly smile. "Though when you put it like that, it sounds like I'll have to make even more of an effort to entertain you next time we find the time together. Keep the amount of fun more equal, if you will."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

Sakura giggles at that memory. Neither Adir nor Calanthe were doing well that morning. "Don't worry, I didn't mind picking up the slack for a few hours."

"You don't need to go to any special effort for me, though. Spending time with you is-" Sakura averts her eyes down to her hot chocolate, suddenly feeling self conscious. "Well I enjoy it a lot. And of course I've never stopped enjoying Adir's company either. So you've got me well taken care of."
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bedtime]

"Please, my dear, you shouldn't feel guilty if I put in the extra time for you," Calanthe offers, clearly flattered. "I greatly enjoy your company too, you realize. And it feels... rather satisfying, showing my appreciation for all that you and your husband have done for me. Though I certainly wouldn't want to steal all of your time and attention from him - especially if you two have plans tonight." Her smile turns somewhat catlike.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

Sakura looks back up at Calanthe, her eyes widening. "Calanthe!" Thankfully she doesn't really come off as offended, just shocked. Heat comes to her cheeks and she brings her mug up over her lips to cover her face. "No plans... You have my attention for the rest of the night."
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bedtime]

Sakura's reaction earns her a brief flurry of tittering laughs. "Sorry, sorry, the way you react sometimes is just far too delightful. But honestly, I would enjoy a bit of company. I've been meaning to pick up my crochet work again, and I find that goes by much faster with someone to talk to." Calanthe idly taps her nails on the cover of the large tome she'd been reading from earlier, considering things.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

Sakura lowers the her mug again, composing herself. Even considering the burning feeling of mild embarrassment and this bubbly feeling in her stomach. "That'd be nice. I've seen you doing that before. I'm kinda curious actually."
~Images by Soushiyo
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Arkhosia wrote: Oct 22, 2022 4:05 am [The Shed]

"The high breeze coming from the west? We might have to start worrying about you fleeing back into the woods if you keep waxing nostalgic, leaving the both of us to fend for ourselves against the teeming horde." Calanthe puts on an expression of mock despair. "And for next time? I didn't expect you to be in favor of getting me drunk." The teasing aside, she does raise a curious eyebrow watching the man muse.
[The Shed]

"Hey, I'm sure you two would do alright together," Adir says. He doesn't quite finish his lost thought... but he does smirk at her. "Well, maybe I'm just curious what will come out of your mouth next."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bedtime]

"I could try and teach you the basics later if you'd like," Calanthe suggests, eyes sparkling. Soon enough, the two will have relocated to the couch, retrieving a basket of knitting materials on the way there. The witch seems to be a quarter through knitting a blossom pink scarf, which she begins to work on further as they talk.

"I'm glad Adir is taking care of the older kids for us tonight," she comments, knitting needles clacking together. "I think I needed a brief reprieve, even if I do adore their company." Sakura would know that Calanthe's been a bit more involved this week than usual, especially with getting the kids to and from school.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

Sakura sits on the couch next to Calanthe, half turned toward her. She's cozied up with a blanket in the way she usually settles down when she's actually going to sit down for a while... a rare site admittedly.

The dryad giggles and nods in agreement. "Oh I understand. It takes a lot of energy to keep up with them all. It's only natural to get tired." Mind you, Sakura seems to slow down a lot slower than either Adir or Calanthe. It's like there's something else fueling her... which is not entirely untrue.

"Definitely don't let yourself get too run down. That's not what we're expecting from you. The goal is none of us get too tired."
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bedtime]

"Mm, I suppose you're right, I'll try my best not to." Calanthe can't help but cozy up in return, reclining into the plush cushions of the couch. "It's impressive that you two managed to keep up with them so well before - especially Lucy, I'm not sure she can ever truly run out of energy," she chuckles. "Whenever we go out on nature walks, I worry that she'll just bolt off into the wilderness, ever to be seen again!"
~Welcome to Night Vale
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[The Shed]

"Well, truthfully I imagine Sakura could manage the kids alone," Calanthe muses. "We would be losing the breadwinner of the family, though, so I suppose I would just have to step up and take responsibility." She can't help but flash Adir a playful smile. "Regardless - however you two plan to get me to say embarrassing things next, I'm sure it will be a wonderful time."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[The Shed]

Adir snorts in amusement. "Sure, but then who's going to keep giving you two babies?" He can't think of a better candidate, personally.

"We'll come up with a half decent scheme, I'm sure. Maybe we'll even tell you a few embarrassing secrets ourselves."
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Expedition to the nest Frescots]

It's a special time.

Camping time!

The mithars, with their recent additions of the tel'vree's, are coming to the Frescots to take them on a trip out into the nearby woods. Jezebel is to be the camp leader as Cessie would probably not have even suggested camping in the first place. She had more than enough of that back in the day.

Nevertheless, the sorceress enters first through the door. The rest of the kids (and Jezebel) probably coming in after her.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bedtime]

Sakura giggles. "Oh I know. Honestly I normally just let her go. Don't worry, she always comes back." She winks. "Honestly you've really helped in giving me a bit more free time. I was running around busy all the time, but now I do get to relax a bit more... Not that I really relax." It's a rare sight to see Sakura just sitting around unless it's with a bab.
~Images by Soushiyo
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Expedition to the Frescots]

As soon as Cessie opens the door the three kids flood in around her. Cora first, of course, but Jillian's eagerness almost matches. It's Bastion who takes it easy and stays close by his mom.

"We're here!" Cora announces. Surely that prompts a response from the inhabitants, but the fastest will arrive first.
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bedtime]

"Heh, I can certainly imagine. It's fortunate you even remember how to do so nowadays, honestly." The witch smiles, pausing the crochetwork to savor her hot chocolate with a shallow sip. "I suppose you'll just need me to coax you into it like this more often. A sweet flower such as yourself can wither under too much sunlight, you know."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

Expedition To The Frescots

A good part of the reason Jezebel suggested the camping was to make sure her kids had plenty of space to get used to the many Frescots. The other part is that she wanted to be sure that neither Sergei nor Ariel would develop the same constant unease of open natural areas that she had. Growing up in an enclosed hive city certainly had its downsides. Thankfully for all present though, it wasn't she who had drove them all and Charles pops the trunk so everyone's bags could be easily gotten to.

Once introductions are finished of course.

Ariel is practically vibrating as she slips out of the vehicle right after Cora, excited to see everyone and everything, Camping was new, the Frescots were new, and she was ready to take in all the wonder. Sergei takes a moment to try and head to the back of the vehicle to go get bags, but Jezebel shoos him off to join the others and the older boy looks momentarily lost before following along. Jezebel brings up the rear of the group, tying up her hair as she walks and does a quick headcount. It wouldn't do to have anyone lost already.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Expedition to the Frescots]

Children! A veritable bushel of tiny feet and clamoring voices spills into the main hall of the Frescot domicile. The Mithars and Tel'vrees are quickly surrounded, as the little ones appear from the stairs, from the living room on the right, and from the larger chamber toward the back of the house all at once! Most are already dressed to go and fitted with their sneakers or tiny pairs of hiking boots. A chorus of different greetings pipe from the little ones, and the other kids - particularly Ariel and Sergei - might well have been overcome with questions about the Tel'vrees if not for one child's timely intervention.

"Heyyy!" Laela pipes, putting her hands on her hips. She's in a long green dress, not unlike one of her moms, and a pair of sneakers with glitter and sequins so they seem to be covered in diamonds. She looks around at the Frescot kids, who have at least gone (mostly) silent. "Listen up you babies. There's too many of you to be talking all at once! And somebody's gotta keep you in line. So, since I'm oldest of all, and smartest, I'm gonna be in charge on this trip. Got it?"

More clamor, nose-thumbing and squeaky voices follow, but the volume is significantly reduced from before. Laela will try to wave at the Mithars and Tel'vrees, smiling.