The Twofold Houses

Personal homes and private lots.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: The Twofold Houses

Post by Rebonack »

[The Widening Gyre]

The spirits are not, in fact, having a grand party right now.

That is very much not what is happening.

When the ladies step outside they'll find that the storm hasn't let up one iota. The wind still whips menacingly and the great gyre of clouds still churns overhead like a great whirlpool in the sky. There isn't a drop of rain, but the air feels pregnant with power, as if it could open up in a great downpower any moment. Now and again sheet lightning ripples across the face of the clouds, sending a rolling boom to rattle the windows of the Frescot house.

With all eyes turned toward the heavens-
-there are far fewer turned toward the earth.

Like a tiny stream of liquid metal, the storm serpent steadily winds it way through the grass toward the open door. The creature moves with uncanny clarity and cunning, watching the pair of women with clever eyes, its forked lightning bolt of a tongue tasting at the air.

It watches.

And waits.

Hidden.
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jan 22, 2024 9:36 am Great Assets - Evening Tea

"I know you wouldn't betray my trust." Cessie assures her, since if she didn't they wouldn't be talking marriage. "And I certainly wouldn't share this with anyone else since I don't want to betray Sakura's trust either."

But that reminded her of something else she had to talk to Jezebel about. "Since we share nearly everything with each other, even our sexual experiences. Thought that one might be my fault." The sorceress chuckles.

"In my family, or at least with my sisters, it's not strange to share that sort of thing. At least when there were no one else around. So when Sakura and I became friends I didn't see any reason why we shouldn't even if she probably didn't think of it the same way."

Cessie's eyebrows raise.
"But I do hope you're okay with that. I always figured you were but I should make sure."
Great Assets - Evening Tea

"Oh, for certain. I agree that it would be incredibly strange not to share such things among sisters, blood related or otherwise." Jezebel says before giving a smile and a small snort out of amusement. "I'm fine with it. Honestly, so much of my past is so public at this point that I think being secretive about it by now would raise more red flags than not. Though that may make conversation about the flaming chains a little awkward from the outside." She did also promise to be entirely open with things before.

"And I think you two practically are sisters by this point. As long as you've known each other and how much you've been through together, what better way is there to describe it?"
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: Jan 24, 2024 4:29 am [An Uncertain Conversation]

Sakura giggles. "Sometimes, but I think you're more of a worrywart than me in that area. I pride myself in my positive outlook." She nods, self assured.
Wolfbane wrote: Jan 28, 2024 6:17 am

"Oh, for certain. I agree that it would be incredibly strange not to share such things among sisters, blood related or otherwise." Jezebel says before giving a smile and a small snort out of amusement. "I'm fine with it. Honestly, so much of my past is so public at this point that I think being secretive about it by now would raise more red flags than not. Though that may make conversation about the flaming chains a little awkward from the outside." She did also promise to be entirely open with things before.

"And I think you two practically are sisters by this point. As long as you've known each other and how much you've been through together, what better way is there to describe it?"
[An Uncertain Conversation]

Cessie smiles back. "As far as I'm concerned, it's my job to be a worrywart. The children certainly won't do much of that on their own if we raise them right after all. Besides, you remember how a certain sword-lady can get sometimes. Like when she gave Laela the scar." Which was quite a while ago now. How time flies.

"Don't you start now too." Cessie says with a laugh. "Sakura already insists on calling my the aunt of her children, now I'm her sister too? I thought you of anyone would like to keep family titles straight, Jezebel. I mean, you and your sisters must share something quite special together to be able to stand one another even now. Sakura and I have it easy you're standing against everything your world throws at you. It's admirable really."
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

"Truuue, but you know she's going to butt up against that in a few years, right?" Sakura says with a knowing smile. "I haven't raised any teens yet, but I've heard stories. Don't try to keep Cora too controlled or she might burst."
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[The Widening Gyre]

Calanthe offers Sakura a gentle look. "Of course, flower, I can examine it with you." She lowers Finian to sit back onto the bed. "Your mother and I are going to make sure everything stays safe outside, okay? One of your older siblings will look after you, but I promise we'll return very soon."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Jezebel snorts, unable to help but to smile. "I would call that spite, honestly. Or having too thick of a skull to know anything but to take the hits thrown my way. Even with all our divergent paths, I can say that's something my sisters and I all share. Must be a Tel'vree thing." She admits with a chuckle. "But there's always family that's not related by blood. Found Family. The Ravers had been mine for a long while at my worst, but more often it's something like you and Sakura. You two are far closer than I would say friends or best friends normally are. Regardless of what you call it though, it definitely is something to cherish and something I can certainly respect and enjoy watching from the sidelines."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Arkhosia wrote: Jan 31, 2024 4:01 am [The Widening Gyre]

Calanthe offers Sakura a gentle look. "Of course, flower, I can examine it with you." She lowers Finian to sit back onto the bed. "Your mother and I are going to make sure everything stays safe outside, okay? One of your older siblings will look after you, but I promise we'll return very soon."
[The Widening Gyre]

"Okay..." Finian agrees timidly. The boy is still shook from the peels of thunder. Thankfully Kissa and Malachi follow a gesture from Sakura and go to sit on either side of him.

"You three stay right here until mommy and Calanthe say everything's okay, got it?" Once Sakura has their affirmations, she'll leave the room with the nanny and guide the way to the back door. Standing in the patio, the dryad raises her voice over the wind. "I'm not sure what it is, but it feels wrong. The sky looks weird, doesn't it?" They can't quite see the sky properly from here, though, with the patio roof over head. Sakura hasn't stepped out to get the full scope of the storm.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"I think the term you're looking for is 'best friend'." Cessie counters with a smirk. "And I wouldn't say that we're closer than friends, just that there are degrees of friendship and we've been talking nearly every day for nearly two decades now."

Cessie makes a flat-handed gesture at their surroundings. "I mean, she lived in the keep for a few years while Adir was awol. That sort of thing makes strong bonds. Hardship that is, which I think might be the case for you and your sisters."

She shrugs lightly. "Indeed, probably the ravers and Charles too." Her gaze meets Jezebel's again, the sorceress feeling the slight strain in her neck which always reminded her of their size difference. "Since I think that knowing that you can trust someone when things get rough makes them closer to you than everyone else. Just knowing that they're there for you even when you're at your lowest and most vulnerable makes such a difference."

"I will try not to, but I think in a way they need that too. Something to..." Cessie was going to say 'cut loose from' but the words died in her mouth. She didn't want to even want to mention her children cutting themselves away from her just yet.

"-I mean, it's a part of growing up. To have something to rebel against. No matter how insignificant it might seem." She crosses her arms over her chest and let¨s out a small sigh. This was something she had considered over and over again and Sakura did raise a good point. "How do you handle Cora when she's visiting? I imagine that she's less obtrusive with you than with me."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[The Widening Gyre]

On their way out, Calanthe pauses. "Wait a moment." She slips into her room and rummages around. When she returns, a slim rapier hangs from her hip alongside a series of vials. "Ready."

As she steps out Calanthe raises a hand to hold onto her hat, closing the door and scanning the sky above. "Yes, I agree. I've never seen weather like that before, but I don't like it. It feels... unsettling." She shivers. "Like there is a charge in the air."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Sakura listens to Cessie with a slight smile on her lips. It's fun to watch her friend muse like this. "Well I'm more lenient than you. Maybe I let her get away with too much." She winks. "I don't think she misbehaves that must, though. Are you noticing it more?"

[The Widening Gyre]

"Do you think there's anything we can do?" Sakura looks worriedly at the burning tree. Thankfully the season limits its likelihood to spread, but even so... "We probably shouldn't go out into the open. Maybe I should go shutter all the windows."
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[The Widening Gyre]

As if in answer to Sakura's worry a bolt of lightning strikes the earth about half way between the women and the splintered tree, leaving a smouldering spot on the ground.

The another bolt hits the exact same spot.

And then another.

And another.

The sound is tremendous, rattling the windows and leaving a ringing in the ears. By now a small tongue of fire is burning in the point that was repeatedly struck, but there's an unearthly blue-white color to the flame. As if it were a plume of lightning stuck in the ground rather than any natural fire.

While attention is elsewhere, the tiny metal snake is probing around the parameter of the house, its lightning bolt tongue flicking at the air. It's searching for a way in, a gap. A chink in the armor of the house meant to repel hostile spirits.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Gullara wrote: Feb 09, 2024 2:31 am [An Uncertain Conversation]

Sakura listens to Cessie with a slight smile on her lips. It's fun to watch her friend muse like this. "Well I'm more lenient than you. Maybe I let her get away with too much." She winks. "I don't think she misbehaves that must, though. Are you noticing it more?"

"Well... no. I guess I've noticed that has a bit of a mean streak but I think she's always had that. It's just that I've been putting it down as a childhood thing rather than it simply being an aspect of her personality." Cessie is slow to admit.

"But I'm afraid of the future. Of her teenage years. It's not just because you mentioned it. I keep thinking about it actually, that there's going to be big arguments in the future and that she's going to hate me for it. I'm just not sure how to handle it."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"Aw Cessie. You're probably not going to get along all the time, but there's no way she'll hate you." Sakura tries to reassure. "She's just strong willed and wants a lot. You're just going to have to figure out how to temper that, but not keep everything from her. You know what I mean?"
~Images by Soushiyo
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Shadowcaller wrote: Feb 07, 2024 9:58 am Great Assets - Evening Tea

"I think the term you're looking for is 'best friend'." Cessie counters with a smirk. "And I wouldn't say that we're closer than friends, just that there are degrees of friendship and we've been talking nearly every day for nearly two decades now."

Cessie makes a flat-handed gesture at their surroundings. "I mean, she lived in the keep for a few years while Adir was awol. That sort of thing makes strong bonds. Hardship that is, which I think might be the case for you and your sisters."

She shrugs lightly. "Indeed, probably the ravers and Charles too." Her gaze meets Jezebel's again, the sorceress feeling the slight strain in her neck which always reminded her of their size difference. "Since I think that knowing that you can trust someone when things get rough makes them closer to you than everyone else. Just knowing that they're there for you even when you're at your lowest and most vulnerable makes such a difference."

Jezebel gives a small smile and shrug. "Fair enough. Best Friend it is. I can't say I had one for a long time where I was at at least. Home was too rife with...politics." She freely admits before scratching her jaw slightly. "But you have a point about my sisters. Maybe that's what it is and I just lacked a frame of reference." She does seem to be viewing it in a new light. When Cessie gazes at her, the gaze is returned with an easy smile and a gentle squeeze of her hand. "One way I've heard it put is that friendship means little if it is merely kept when convenience. It sounds like you both have had times when you've shared burdens with each other. I have to say, I'm quite envious, but I've also only truly opened up relatively recently by comparison. It just means I need to learn to avoid being too...aloof"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"I know what you mean, I've come to that conclusion myself many times, but the issue is that's it's easier said than done. So I could use your perspective on it. You have no idea how many times she has used you as an example as to why I'm too strict." Cessie remarks with an dry sort of amusement judging by her smile.

The sorceress returns the squeeze, knowing it meant a lot to Jezebel. While she didn't have as much an issue with touch as she did, Jezzy seemed more afraid to lose herself to it. She had left Slaanesh rule through sheer determination and iron will but when they touched she always seemed to still fear her own pleasure. As if it was a venue from where that vile god could still reach her.

Cessie reaches up to touch that strong cheekbone of her lover. Gently running her hand along it. "Jezebel, you're an amazing person and you've done amazing things, that's why you're loved by so many people.
But Sakura and the children, they're a different kind of people that have lived a completely different kind of life. It will take time for them to see past that armor you had to build around yourself to survive."
She rubs her thumb against her cheek.

"But, Sakura needed some help watching children this weekend and I figured that perhaps you could help her out. So you two can get to know one another better I mean."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"Well..." Sakura looks a touch uncertain. "I'm not exactly sure. I'm still waiting on my own teen after all." Sakura taps her chin. "Honestly I just worry mostly about things that are actually dangerous or harmful. If I tried to stop them from getting in any sort of trouble ahead of time, that'd be pretty smothering."
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

"But that's the thing, where do I draw the line? You might still recall the time Cora gave Laela that scar. Her hobby can be dangerous in itself though obviously I still let engage in it. Since I have a difficult time imagining anything more dangerous than swinging around a sword at her age. So at least time will help a bit with that problem." Though weapons were always dangerous, that was the point of them.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Mar 09, 2024 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"Isn't that a perfect example though?" Sakura prompts. "There was a problem, but instead of just shutting her down, you found a constructive solution. Now she gets to do what she wants, but she's guided by Wenomir."
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Trip with a Raptor]

Wenomir arrives at the Frescot abode one spring morning. He seems packed for a hike, and there's a new guest with him. A small, fluffy green raptor who is downright fascinated by her surroundings and only prevented from running around everywhere by the leash Wenomir has her on.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Trip with a Raptor]

The door unlatches and slowly creeeaks open. Out peers a curious young lady of about nine. She's a little on the short side, even for her age, but she has a voluminous mop of pink flower petals. "Hihi uncle," she says. He might have gradually gotten the idea that the honorific is also used with friends of older male Frescots - that they use it more freely and naturally without thinking too much of it. She studies Wenomir-- and then the fluffy creature running circles around him. She gasps with pure childish wonder. "What is that? Do you have a pet?"

Lucy slowly gets the door open. She's a bit slow with it, since she's using her feet and holding a very fat, very pink molerat against her shoulder like a baby waiting to be burped. She has to use both hands to hold him up. Lucy's hair is currently held up in a loose bundle, not unlike how her mother wears it while working, but it's held aloft by a curious glowing ring - a ring that seems to float of its own accord. It makes a very good giant scrunchy for a very giant head of hair.

"You didn't tell us you had a pet!" Lucy exclaims in the tone of an accusation. "Oh my gosh what is it? Is it a boy or a girl?"
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Trip with a Raptor]

"Huh, you never saw her before?" Another young girl's voice sounds behind Lucy. The widening door reveals Jillian, not that Wenomir wouldn't recognize the youngest Mithar's voice. In truth, Jillian didn't have any extensive experience with the raptor either, but her family has a big more frequent contact with Wenomir.

Remembering her manners, Jillian straightens her posture and gives Wenomir a small bow. "Hello, mister Wenomir." She greets.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Trip with a Raptor]

The raptor runs up to Lucy and stares at her and the molerat, tilting her head this way and that and making quiet "wok" noises. Wenomir, meanwhile, bows back to Jillian, pressing his right fist against his chest. It's a formal gesture that he doesn't perform often, but he suspects Jillian will appreciate it.

"Hello, girls. This is Coco, my pet raptor. I haven't had her for very long. She really likes to run, so I decided to bring her with me today."
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Shadowcaller wrote: Feb 24, 2024 5:49 pm Great Assets - Evening Tea

The sorceress returns the squeeze, knowing it meant a lot to Jezebel. While she didn't have as much an issue with touch as she did, Jezzy seemed more afraid to lose herself to it. She had left Slaanesh rule through sheer determination and iron will but when they touched she always seemed to still fear her own pleasure. As if it was a venue from where that vile god could still reach her.

Cessie reaches up to touch that strong cheekbone of her lover. Gently running her hand along it. "Jezebel, you're an amazing person and you've done amazing things, that's why you're loved by so many people.
But Sakura and the children, they're a different kind of people that have lived a completely different kind of life. It will take time for them to see past that armor you had to build around yourself to survive."
She rubs her thumb against her cheek.

"But, Sakura needed some help watching children this weekend and I figured that perhaps you could help her out. So you two can get to know one another better I mean."

Jezebel opens her mouth to reply, but she pauses to consider it before giving Cessie a wry smile. "I'll be glad to help out." She says, sounding sure. "And I'll concede that I imagine that taking Charles with me would defeat the purpose of the trip." She gives a little laugh, closing her eyes to rest her cheek against Cessie's hand for a few heartbeats. "My life may have been hard, but the way I look at it, it has been well spent making sure those like Sakura can be more carefree. Even if the sheer number of them might frighten me, I do smile when I see Sakura and Adir with their entire brood. The world could use more like them." She explains, straightening up and popping her neck so she can look at Cessie's eyes with a smile. "I swear that I'll do more to get along with them, and make sure I'm not ruining your good name while I'm at it. Just my own. What did they need help with?"
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Trip with a Raptor]

Fascinated, Lucy sets down Mr. Chewy Chompers. The fat, fearless mole rat sniffs at Coco curiously, his body scrunched up into a pink ball. "Un-unh!" Lucy confirms to Jillian. She beams that infectious grin of hers. "She's so cute!" She tries to hold a hand out, palm up, like her mommy and daddy taught her to do with animals. Not that it was always necessary with their special gifts!

"Lucy, baby, what did I tell you about answering the door by yourself?" Comes a third voice from inside. Adir appears, in a sleeveless shirt and thick brown denims for trekking just about anywhere.

"I'm not by myself! I had Jillian and David!"

"Hey, Wenomir. You-- did I hear pet?" The stag stares. "I always pictured a big, scary looking dog for you. Something broody and quiet. Not..." He looks amused. "Not a sixty pound budgie. That's for sure. Where'd you get her?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Wolfbane wrote: Mar 17, 2024 2:00 am Great Assets - Evening Tea

Jezebel opens her mouth to reply, but she pauses to consider it before giving Cessie a wry smile. "I'll be glad to help out." She says, sounding sure. "And I'll concede that I imagine that taking Charles with me would defeat the purpose of the trip." She gives a little laugh, closing her eyes to rest her cheek against Cessie's hand for a few heartbeats. "My life may have been hard, but the way I look at it, it has been well spent making sure those like Sakura can be more carefree. Even if the sheer number of them might frighten me, I do smile when I see Sakura and Adir with their entire brood. The world could use more like them." She explains, straightening up and popping her neck so she can look at Cessie's eyes with a smile. "I swear that I'll do more to get along with them, and make sure I'm not ruining your good name while I'm at it. Just my own. What did they need help with?"
Gullara wrote: Mar 09, 2024 2:59 am [An Uncertain Conversation]

"Isn't that a perfect example though?" Sakura prompts. "There was a problem, but instead of just shutting her down, you found a constructive solution. Now she gets to do what she wants, but she's guided by Wenomir."

"Certainly but I'm not sure if there always will be such a clear solution to every problem she will encounter down the road. I just hope that Wenomir will be inspirational as a role model since she apparently didn't inherit a single one of my interests." Cessie remarks with a small smile.

Cessie smiles wryly as Jezebel says the word 'brood'. "'Brood'? Now using that word is one of the few ways you can get yourself in her bad book, Jezzy and I wouldn't recommend it. Since don't let her calm demeanor fool you, she can be fierce when she's defending her children and won't need a single weapon to intimidate someone. I've seen it."

She winks. "So first promise me that'll you be on your best behavior, okay? Otherwise you might actually ruin my good name like the delinquent you are."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Trip with a Raptor]

Jillian smiles broadly, bobbing a bit from foot to foot. She tilts her head up to look at Adir once he's looming over them, but her attention is brought back down to the real person of interest here. Coco! What a cute bird. "We can pet her, right?" She asks politely.

Sakura giggles. "We can hope so. And besides, whatever bickering you might have to suffer in her teens, one day I think you'll both look back at it and laugh." Haven't they all had conflicts with their parents that felt silly in retrospect? It's just a part of growing up.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Trip with a Raptor]

Coco pushes her beak into Lucy's hand. She's a very trusting creature on her own, and Lucy's animal empathy helps further.

"Go ahead and pet her. She likes it. And she doesn't meet many children except for Lucien. Certainly no molerats." How did Frescots get a giant molerat in the first place? Something about goblins, Wenomir thinks. "I found her at a pet adoption event I visited with Cassandra, Lucien and Koshal. They all helped me pick a pet. They play an important role in making sure my face doesn't settle into a permanent scowl, you know." Lucien is Cassandra's little brother. Jillian might have heard of him since he began training with Cora.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Trip with a Raptor]

Lucy is not so nearly as restrained, happily rubbing her hand against Coco's beak if the raptor allows. She giggles. "She feels so nice!" She looks down at her feet. "What do you think David?"

David is more wary, but calm enough. He tilts his head this way and that, as though it will make Coco any easier to understand.

"Cass and Koshal I know," Adir says, although the former more from Wenomir's mentioning than actually having met his partner. "But not Lucien. I'm glad to hear of anyone putting a smile on that face, though." Adir smiles to match. "I remember a time when that was pretty hard. It's great, man."

"Are we ready to go, you two?" Asks the stag. Lucy gives a quick 'yup', still sticking close and looking fascinatedly at Coco.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Once given permission, Jillian will step closer and pet Coco as well, on the neck to give Lucy her space. "Lucien is Cass's brother." Jillian helpfully provides. Despite not really having interacted with Cass and family, Jillian is quite attentive.

"I'm ready to go." She confirms. They kids had just been prepping to go since they knew Wenomir was supposed to arrive soon. Jillian has her good walking boots all laced up nicely.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Trip with a Raptor]

Coco seems absolutely thrilled by the affection she's receiving. She stays still, craning her neck to give the girls better access and makes quiet cooing noises.

"Yes, he's Cassandra's little brother. He's been a bit sheltered until now, but he started studying swordplay alongside Cora." Wenomir looks down at David. "Is this plump gentleman coming along too? You had to go underground to get him, didn't you?"