Outside: Grass touch place

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Hraithre »

[Trial of the firebird]

A low chuckle vibrates through the cave and the ground. "Think whatever you like."

Then, silence.

If Hiep does have some technique to pull the rooster from the rock, or perhaps some technique to seal it in the cave, now would be the moment. It won't be more vulnerable once it chooses to come out on its own.

If the women linger, without coming up with a plan, they'll eventually notice the heat is rising, and black liquid is starting to trickle through the rocks. That's probably the first and last sign they need to get out.

Tags:
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Rebonack wrote: Feb 13, 2023 2:38 pm
[A Careful Afternoon Jog]

G'nichi descends into the crater.

The major upside here is that there are no bugs down here. They all got pulverized by the impact. The earth has been turned to glass and it crunches under his feet in a disconcerting sort of way. A shiny green carpet that speaks to utter annihilation. As he moves closer to the middle of the crater he'll notice that there appears to be a pretty big smouldering stone at the center, a stone where its outer layers are slowly sloughing off.

Peeling away like the skin of an onion, a stark white interior that glows with such stellar brilliance that it's painful to look at is steadily being revealed.

It appears as though this is a literal fallen star.

Did G'nichi remember to make a wish?

He might not get another chance.
A Careful Afternoon Jog

G'nichi makes a wish that he and the villagers all survive today.
Slowly, he draws his sword and waits.
TECHNICALLY he doesn't know that this thing is hostile. It COULD be friendly.
It won't be, but it could be.
Morty
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Trial of the firebird]

Hiep's ass-kicking intent deflates when Harriet points out they can't reach the rooster.

"I didn't think that far ah- balls. We don't have time to figure this out. We should make ourselves scarce."
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[Maids on a Train]

The mermaid glances across the aisle to see who this is. Oh! Foxgirl, that's pretty cool. She wishes she had looked around and paid better attention to the other passengers earlier, since foxgirls are slightly cooler than looking out the window. "I've never heard of a maid convention before," she responds.

She lifts herself up a little and looks backwards, and sees even more maids down behind them, just...sitting down, riding the train normally. "In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a maid all dressed up on a train before. You'd think they would change after their destination."

Then again, the mermaid has been spending quite a while in the ocean. Or in Skyside. Not exactly 'normal' places. Foxgirls, however, could've seen maid conventions before if they're actually common. "You seen any of these conventions around before?" she asks.

The bathroom door opens. A maid comes out. Someone with a keen sense of smell will be able to immediately tell there's the scent of fresh blood.
The other bathroom door opens, and the same thing happens. Another maid, more smell of blood.
Someone without a keen sense of smell, however, will have to wait and pay more attention to look at the blood splatter on the bottom of a maid dress, or on the shoes.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Maids on a Train
"Never heard of a maid convention, but why else would there be so many maids in one place?" the foxgirl pauses. Something doesn't smell right. "Hold that thought, I need to use the restroom." She gets up and heads in that direction, but actually she's following the smell of blood.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

bc56 wrote: Feb 16, 2023 12:46 am Maids on a Train
"Never heard of a maid convention, but why else would there be so many maids in one place?" the foxgirl pauses. Something doesn't smell right. "Hold that thought, I need to use the restroom." She gets up and heads in that direction, but actually she's following the smell of blood.

[Maids on a Train]

The mermaid thinks about the answer. Why would there be so many maids all in one place, then? By the time she comes upon an answer, the foxgirl has already gotten up. "Okay," she says. She decides to hold her thought until the foxgirl gets back.

Yeah, it's most likely either a broken spawn or some kind of glitch, she thinks. Those would make the most sense.

A blood-splattered maid just walks past the foxgirl as if nothing had happened. Just walks past, going on to her own seat.

Upon opening up and stepping into the bathroom, the foxgirl will immediately notice several things all at once. Blood pooled on the ground. Two dead people in the bathroom, stabbed - one throat slit, one chest stab, and with a rag stuffed into each of their mouths. Definitely both dead.
More interestingly - and more disturbingly - however, there's one more thing going on: they're both wearing maid shoes, maid headbands, and one of them is wearing the beginnings of a maid apron: it's slowly and magically appearing, before the foxgirl's eyes.

It's pretty weird.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Maids on a Train
Ugh, that smell is awful!
Jade shuts the door behind her and bends down to examine the bodies. Are they... Turning into maids? That's bizarre.
Her back is turned to the door as she experimentally tries to remove the maid headband from one of the deceased. Is it stuck on there or is it regular clothes?
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

That seems like a pretty reasonable wish. Everyone likes surviving, right? G'nichi does. The villagers do. That tree right over there definitely does.

Either way!

G'nichi draws his sword and stands there.

All dramatically.

The meteor doesn't continue crumbling. It's just sitting down there in the crater, about a quarter of its surface having fallen off to reveal something painfully bright white under the stony, partly melted shell. It's hard to tell whatever the thing in there is on account of the fact that it is glowing so brightly that it's like trying to make out the features of the sun. As in it will cause eye-damage if one stares at it. Really makes it difficult to tell what it is G'nichi is looking at.

It DOES kind of twinkle, though. Like a star might. But actual stars don't twinkle. Not really. That's just at atmospheric effect on their light or something like that.

[Neon Bunker]

It's...

Kind of anti-climactic.

Kothar's axe hews straight through the machinery connected to the automaton's back and it just...

Falls still.

The hum of the factory slowly dies down.

The lights begin to flicker and fade.

Khannie looks...

Kind of sad.

"...I guess that was it?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Neon Bunker
"Be at peace," Kothar says to the destroyed robot. He turns to face Khannie. "We should go." It was a sad ending to this tale, but this was not the sort of tale which could have a truly happy ending. The machine was just doing its duty, and so were the heroes.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Trial of the Firebird

"Yeah, I don't like the look of that goo." So Harriet's going to leave, keeping an eye on the goo behind her to make sure it doesn't do anything surprising, like turn into a giant rooster and exhale flame at the two god-touched individuals.
► SHOW SPOILER
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Trial of the Firebird]

When the two women get out, Harriet can see the rock has begun to change shape. The mouth of the cave is eeriely starting to look like a rooster head, and they got out just before the beak slammed shut.

Blasting the rocks with heat and lightning turns the rock into slag. The ground rumbles to inform Harriet of the rooster's dissatisfaction. It seems Harriet has bought them some time, but how long, well, that's hard to say. Now would be a good time to retreat, if they want an opportunity to, ah, do what Hiep didn't do before: think ahead.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Careful Afternoon Jog

G’nichi groans. He’s going to have to do something here. He walks up and touches the stone, trying to get a feel for what it’s made of without actually looking at it because gosh it’s bright.

Hopefully it’s not just a really radioactive rock.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

That's one of the problems with being an adventurer, isn't it?

You have to get out there and do things instead of just waiting for things to do to you. Though G'nich is very fortunate! He doesn't have to do MUCH to get adventures to drop into his lap. But once they HAVE dropped, well, then it's time to start getting active.

Active, in this case, means walking down to the meteor and poking to it. The stone shell around the outside looks like it's mostly made of olivine, if G'nichi is familiar with minerals usually associated with space rocks. Sort of an interesting greenish yellow crystal. The part that's bright, though, is difficult to make out. Mostly because looking at it is painful.

But!

Now that G'nichi is close and poking things something interesting happens! Namely, that brightness suddenly scattering across the ground. As it begins dispersing and spreading the blazing glow is SLIGHTLY less eye stinging and G'nichi will probably be able to make out a bunch of vaguely spider-like shapes each with a glowing white center. And wow are there ever a lot of the little things, each about the size of a large grape. As they crawl they leave shining lines of silk behind them leading back to the meteor.

There's a good chance that they're probably bad. Somehow.

[Neon Bunker]

No.

No, there was never going to be a happy ending to this story.

Khannie will head back to the elevator and ride it to the surface once again, glum silence hanging heavily on her. As the elevator reaches back up into the forest above once again she finally speaks. "I wish people wouldn't fight. If people weren't such jerks then there wouldn't need to be heroes."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Trial of the Firebird]

To compound what Harriet is doing, Hiep picks up a nearby rock, possibly having crumbled away from the entrance, and hurls it above the mouth of the cave, to further damage it and cause an even greater cave-in. It's a clear display of superhuman strength.

"Let's get out of here and find this man in crimson. Maybe he'll at least be more informative than this overgrown fowl."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Careful Afternoon Jog

Well, in any other circumstance G'nichi would probably feel obligated to do nothing. Since these bugs are currently doing nothing directly harmful.
But well. He has an awful record of doing that and it biting everyone in the tail later.
And also this thing was clearly brought here by the sword, which always brings him something that tries to kill him.
So instead of doing nothing G'nichi takes a step back and takes a deep breath and breathes a rather nasty cloud of poisonous gas at the crystal and its undoubtedly nasty inhabitants.
A nasty cloud of poisonous gas that ignites seconds later into a nasty cloud of poisonous fire.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

As a general rule of thumb rarely if ever does something that arrives in a stone that falls out the sky prove to be nice. It's part of the whole 'fallen from heaven' trope. Anything that falls out of heaven is not your friend.

BURNING ACID BREATH

Possibly the very worst sort of breath.

The glowing spiders(?) burn rather well. And the glowing mass in the center of the meteor begins to blacken, its light flickering. It grows ever so slightly less dim such that G'nichi is actually able to get somewhat of a look at what's in there. It looks like a giant tangled mass of silk and spiders. Just packed so tight that the bright glow from each combines to make something overwhelming. The mass doesn't make any sort of sound. No screeching or hissing. Its skittery occupants are just running off in all directions to try to avoid the burning acid and generally failing.

Before long the silk and spiders all burn off, revealing what looks like a tiny star at the center of the meteor. The star itself isn't burning, but it is rapidly guttering out. Probably a good bet that 'fallen star with swam of glowing spiders attached to it' had ill intentions for everything nearby. Whatever this thing was, G'nichi put a stop to it before the alien, invasive organism could get a foothold.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Neon Bunker
"Fight is nature," Kothar adds. "But we better than nature. We fight so others not need fight." He's not a poet (at least not in this language), but hopefully that gets the idea across.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Hog Heaven]

"What? People who pay too much attention to my rack?" Tsumi snorts. "Sure, but I don't complain. They give the best tips." Tsumi casually tugs on the cut of her shirt, expression amused.

"That sounds like a pretty annoying quality in a friend, though. I mean. One of my girlfriends is like that, but we're... well. Girlfriends and girlfriends." Tsumi steps out into the dusty arena, but she's in no real hurry. "Issat the case with this motorboat person of yours?" Tsumi shows a few sharp teeth.

[Clutching Pearls]

"Shall I dispatch this irritating creature, Lapis?" asks Vargain, looking up the tree after the girl and the ape.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Gold wrote: Feb 11, 2023 3:58 pm [Junkyard]

Zeeland takes note of 'TARBot''s movement as it leaves his line of sight. If it really is a fake, it probably won't be able to leave this dimension, so he's free to leave keeping tabs on it for later.

The firefighter also chooses to take advantage of the newly-created distance between himself and Wenomir to use some long-distance attacks. Namely, he begins throwing balls of fire, with some being bowled across the floor, others bounced across the ground, and more still being pitched straight at Wenomir or launched in an unbroken parabola towards him. The projectiles fly at various speeds, but on average move at the velocity expected of a thrown object, and will change direction should Wenomir move sideways out of their path.
[Junkyard]

"I try something." Mia says. Then pushes some buttons on the controll.
Zeelander might suddendly feel someone behind him while throwing his fireballs. It is the fakebot who immediatly triesto grab the fireworkers hand and push them to the side to stop him from throwing more balls.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Clutching Pearls]

Lapis is asked a question.

Once, some years ago, a terrible lizard took up residence on the head of her friend Laela. The lizard was very rude. It wouldn't leave and it hissed at anyone who tried to touch it. At that time, Lapis offered to get the lizard and she was told she should. But Lapis meant to get the lizard and Lucy, realizing what she was going to do, told her to stop.

Lucy told Lapis that you shouldn't kill an animal just because it is being inconvenient to you.

And Lapis remembers.

"No Mister Vargain that wouldn't be nice it's just trying to do monkey things," Lapis replies as she considers how best to approach this great problem preventing progress in her quest. After thinking, she arrives at a better solution.

Maybe she could give the monkey something it would like more.

Withdrawing a blueberry muffin from her inventory, Lapis shakes it at the primate.

"Here you go mister monkey! You can have this and I'll take the pearl!"
Lapis says, smiling sweetly.

The ape edges closer.

Smells at Lapis.

Then snatches the muffin with one hand, screeches horribly, and begins ascending higher into the tree using its weird back tentacles whilst holding the pearl in one hand and the muffin in the other.

"Nooo! You were supposed to give me the thing for the thing!" Lapis wails. "That's how trading works it's important!"

The ape does not think it is important.
Wolfbane
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster

Post by Wolfbane »

Keeper wrote: Jan 30, 2023 9:33 pm The Triple B

Anri feels grateful that the bartender has not made any comment on this shape of hers. Lydia's prodding will reveal everything normal: Anri's oni shape has all the muscle and fat that appears to be there and she has a heartbeat to boot.
"I feel like it works on intent. And probably that I don't think it would all check a skilled doctor's scrutiny. Who knows how deep you have to go though before you find the smoke and mirrors?" Anri shrugs.
"So what do you think though? Do I look better big or small?" she asks, trying to smile.
The Triple B

"Small." Lydia says almost immediately as she frowns a bit in thought. "As long as you are undeniably you however. Trying to look like someone else would make you lose your appeal." She warns before plopping back into her seat and looking up at her guest. She seems contemplative for a little bit, pursing her lips. "As easy as it is for you to shapeshift, I would say come up with maybe three or four shapes that you like and slowly start to finetune them. Wear them out, work in them, exercise, fight, all that jazz. Use them and improve them until they feel absolutely natural."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Triple B

"Hmmmm." squints Anri at the dragoness.
"Hmm. I think I can make this work."
With one more poof, Anri goes back to the reptilian look...but without the split ears and shrunk down considerably, though not as much as the pixie.
The bright orange kobold looks up at Lydia from her seat.
"Okay, last one for a little, okay? My head's starting to spin from all this changing. I think you're right. Looking like I can charge through a wall isn't for me. I prefer being slimmer. So we'll settle down and stick to a few things. Probably not fight, though. I've had quite enough of that."

A Careful Afternoon Jog

Well.
Mission accomplished. Possibly?
Well there's not much to loot but this is a meteor with possible material and scientific value. G'nichi will see if he can break off a nice chunk to stick in his bag before continuing on to his original mission.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

The Triple B

"Whoa there, careful, lil' thing." Lydia warns, offering a supportive hand for a moment out of concern. "And even if you don't like to fight, I would say get one form suited to it regardless. Most people don't ever want to fight. It is something usually born out of necessity. Make it something capable of striking fear and terror, or at the very least too tough to injure. Not right now, just in general. Imposing, Regal, Awe-Inspiring."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Triple B

"I suppose. I could use something like that other one to scare people off. But most of the time I can rely on Brag for me. Still, thank you. I'll think about it."
Anri weakly reaches out and takes a long sip of the drink she was given at the start of this conversation.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Murkus wrote: Feb 19, 2023 9:07 pm [Hog Heaven]

"What? People who pay too much attention to my rack?" Tsumi snorts. "Sure, but I don't complain. They give the best tips." Tsumi casually tugs on the cut of her shirt, expression amused.

"That sounds like a pretty annoying quality in a friend, though. I mean. One of my girlfriends is like that, but we're... well. Girlfriends and girlfriends." Tsumi steps out into the dusty arena, but she's in no real hurry. "Issat the case with this motorboat person of yours?" Tsumi shows a few sharp teeth.
[Hog Heaven]

"Some people think just 'cause you're not hiding the goods you wanna' take 'em on a spin though." Dena points out as she casually makes her way into the arena. "Especially the human males 'cause they're ill-behaved. Letting their cocks run rampart until they get stuck somewhere." She starts to slowly juggle the axe in the air. "My friend is like that except, well, she ain't got no cock. Well, most of the time anyway. There was this one time when she gave herself such a big cock that I was afraid she was gonna pass out when she got erected. A real cock-up that was and I wanted nothing to do with it." The gorgon chuckles.

"But our relationship, bit complex that one. When she got a cock we sometimes fuck. When she ain't..." Dena shrugs.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Trial of the Firebird

"Yeah. I hope we've stopped it a while, at least. Though I think it'll come back to cause mayhem again later." Hopefully somebody would be around then to stop it. Or else Welmet will get razed to the ground and nobody'd notice.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Keeper wrote: Feb 20, 2023 4:48 am The Triple B

"I suppose. I could use something like that other one to scare people off. But most of the time I can rely on Brag for me. Still, thank you. I'll think about it."
Anri weakly reaches out and takes a long sip of the drink she was given at the start of this conversation.
The Triple B

Lydia reaches out to give Anri's new head a couple gentle pats, encouraging. "Any time. And while I can't promise every drink will be on me, you're welcome back at any time if you just want to practice or need a place to chill.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

The Triple B

Anri's head is patted! She isn't sure why this is suddenly happening but it's nothing bad at least.
"Oh. Well thank you. And you're welcome to visit the library if you can play nice. We should keep in touch since um. We're neighbors now I think." Right. In all the excitement she'd almost forgotten about the portal wish.
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Keeper wrote: Feb 20, 2023 2:26 pm The Triple B

Anri's head is patted! She isn't sure why this is suddenly happening but it's nothing bad at least.
"Oh. Well thank you. And you're welcome to visit the library if you can play nice. We should keep in touch since um. We're neighbors now I think." Right. In all the excitement she'd almost forgotten about the portal wish.
The Triple B

"Exactly! And while I can't say I'm really interested in books, sometime I'll swing by to take a look at them. I promise I won't eat them at least. " She promises with a grin.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

If G'nichi is after part of the outer shell he doesn't even need to break any off. Part of the shell cracked open and fell on the ground already. If he's after the INNER part of the meteor, the part that is now glowing faintly, that will be a little more difficult to break. Mostly because it isn't... solid. It isn't really a liquid since it's holding its shape. And it isn't really a gas, either, since it isn't spreading all over the place. There's definitely something there, since it's still REALLY hot. But it's like trying to wrangle a ghost.

And as G'nichi knows from personal experience trying to wrangle phantoms is pretty tough.

Maybe if he had a nice jar or something...?

Anyway!

Onward!

After that brief interruption G'nichi begins toward the OTHER crater that, possibly much to his dismay, the meteor impact has really riled up all those terrible bugs. They're swarming here and there and everywhere like an anthill that's been kicked. If he's going to reach their lair he's going to need to figure out how to do so without being swarmed. But how? He can probably out-run the little critters, but getting surrounded could be bad. There's a large fissure in the ground over there that they seem to be avoiding for some reason, but who knows why that is. What if it's venting poison gas or something? He could try just cutting his way through them...

Or maybe there's some kind of trick he could do with the illusion stick?

What's it going to be, G'nichi?

How are you going to approach this problem?