Outside: Grass touch place

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Hraithre »

[Trial of the Firebird]

The women leave the rooster to stew in its rage. But, judging from the pillar of smoke rising in the distance, it may already be too late for Welmet.

Or, maybe not. A village is more than buildings, after all. It is people. And the people are safe.

For now.

Tags:
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Trial of the Firebird]

"Well, we know we need to find a man in crimson but that thing didn't give us any directions for where to start looking." Hiep puts her hands on her hips. "Maybe the people of Welmet know something?"
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

[Tower of Oujet]
Rebonack wrote: Feb 13, 2023 2:38 pmHere comes the squidbus stopping by for another vomit run!
Squidbus, my beloved, you've returned! And just in time too, because there's a zombie here bearing gifts for you! Well, one gift, precisely. A rather large sword, thrown like a javelin into your midsection. A sword she's hoping will penetrate your soft flesh and hold in place when she flings herself after it. This insane, frenzy-driven flesheater intends to grab the hilt in one hand and a claw full of bus-meat in the other, so that she might be taken along for the ride and continue her assault on the bus as it turns around and prepares for its next pass on the tower. It should be a largely untouchable transport, with a distinct aerial advantage over our melee-focused heroes. Unfortunately Saint Lazarus isn't very interested in what should be, and thinks nothing of monumentally stupid jumps off the edge of a tower, all in the name of crashing this wretched meatship, with no survivors.
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Trail of the Firebird- Back to Welmet?

"Well, I can't think of any other leads. Unless we can figure out where the rooster was before it arrived in Welmet, retrace its steps until we find where it met this crimson-clad man." Although given the rooster can phase through solid rock and probably fly (it does have wings) that may prove easier said than done.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Trail of the Firebird - Outside Observers]

...Was that supposed to impress me?

They must have cheated, somehow. That bird was certifiable, it shouldn't have gone down for anything less than an army.

Uh-huh. Well, you promised me a massive cock, but as always, all you've got for me is disappointment and excuses about how mortal women just don't handle it the way you want. This was a colossal waste of my time.

...Really? Did you have to go there? Libby, I swear to-

Off in the distance, seemingly in response to Hiep and Harriet's deliberations, the sky darkens ominously, heralding the sudden arrival of an icy wind and a roll of thunder, which dies away almost as quickly.

Have you taken complete leave of your senses? You know better than to say that name! Are you trying to get us all killed?

Say what name? This one?

A second time, thunder and frosty winds blow through the town, leaving upturned carts and blown-out cobblestones it its wake.

Yes, that one! Cut it out!

Then take it back.

"Take it back"? Are you fucking serious?

Exactly what do I have to lose? Living with you lot is already hell.

...Fine. I take it back.

Say you appreciate it.

...I appreciate it.

Whole thing. Full sentence.

...Fine. I appreciate the effort you went to for a gigantic rooster. Happy?
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Hog Heaven

Tsumi utters a dry cackle at all this lewd talk. "Damn. You get crude when you get a little liquored up, Dena," Tsumi says. She walks out opposite Dena and takes a rough approximation of a stance, but doesn't raise her weapon yet, keeping the tip aimed roughly at the ground.

"Sounds like a fun friend to have," Tsumi admits. "But, uh. Maybe a little weird, relationship-wise. Dick is sort of a dealbreaker, huh?"

[Clutching Pearls]

"In my experience, such a generous negotiating policy as that will usually result in the world taking advantage of you, Lapis. It ought to be the other way around."

Vargain is suddenly up in the tree with Lapis, standing on a branch as casually as he stood on the ground. He looks down briefly, then up, after the ape.

"It's an animal. It knows nothing else besides what is most advantageous to it. It feels neither compassion nor true empathy. It's blameless in this, of course, but this also makes it an obstacle."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Trial of the Firebird]

"As long as we find any trace at all of the guy, I should be able to find ou something about him."

With this enigmatic statement, Hiep mounts her deer again, motioning Harriet to get on as well. They'll ride back to Welmet, seeming to cover more distance more quickly than they rightly should. She glances back at the thunder.

"I don't like this. It's not normal weather."

[Junkyard]

It's starting to occur to Wenomir that he jumped the gun and blew their element of surprise. But with Mia's help, maybe he can salvage this.

"Keep him away from the prisoner!" he yells. This will hopefully help convince Zeeland that the decoy is actually real. Having said that, he goes on the defensive. Taking a deep breath, he seems to blur again, avoiding the fireballs and striking them with his weapon, deflecting and parrying them. This does occupy his whole attention for now.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Trail of The Red-Clad Man

Harriet climbs on as awkwardly as before, gripping Hiep as tight as she can and never quite managing to be completely stable upon the mount. "Isn't it? I can't say I'm that familiar. I grew up in a sealed bunker deep underground, only leaving it when the King ordered me to accompany an expedition to find supplies to repair the heating system." She doesn't query Hiep's tracking abilities, however. It's a field she's so absent in knowledge of that she doesn't entirely know what's impossible. Besides, she's done some impossible things recently, so she knows the world's far odder than she'd ever thought.

Morty

Post by Morty »

[Trail of The Red-Clad Man]

"I've been on the road for a while. Known more than one weather god. I know how it works."

That's an odd thing to mention so casually. Regardless, the two will reach the refugees from Welmet easily enough. No one is particularly eager to talk to them, but eventually someone mentions seeing a man like that near the Weirding Wood when the rooster attacked. Hiep heads there with dogged determination and begins to search for tracks. If she finds any, she stands above them and briefly glows yellow. Thus she tracks not only his physical presence but also stray thoughts and strands of fate. She'll try to learn his intended destination and physical appearance.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Rebonack wrote: Feb 20, 2023 4:33 pm [A Careful Afternoon Jog]

If G'nichi is after part of the outer shell he doesn't even need to break any off. Part of the shell cracked open and fell on the ground already. If he's after the INNER part of the meteor, the part that is now glowing faintly, that will be a little more difficult to break. Mostly because it isn't... solid. It isn't really a liquid since it's holding its shape. And it isn't really a gas, either, since it isn't spreading all over the place. There's definitely something there, since it's still REALLY hot. But it's like trying to wrangle a ghost.

And as G'nichi knows from personal experience trying to wrangle phantoms is pretty tough.

Maybe if he had a nice jar or something...?

Anyway!

Onward!

After that brief interruption G'nichi begins toward the OTHER crater that, possibly much to his dismay, the meteor impact has really riled up all those terrible bugs. They're swarming here and there and everywhere like an anthill that's been kicked. If he's going to reach their lair he's going to need to figure out how to do so without being swarmed. But how? He can probably out-run the little critters, but getting surrounded could be bad. There's a large fissure in the ground over there that they seem to be avoiding for some reason, but who knows why that is. What if it's venting poison gas or something? He could try just cutting his way through them...

Or maybe there's some kind of trick he could do with the illusion stick?

What's it going to be, G'nichi?

How are you going to approach this problem?
A Careful Afternoon Jog

G'nichi waves his wand over himself to see if he can hide from the bugs. A simple illusion of Nothing at All.
Now of course, there are many problems with this plan, such as if the wand can hide his scent and other such things.
But at least he'll know if it didn't work pretty fast.
Thus armored in illusion, G'nichi ventures on...
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Trail of the Red-Clad Man

"I haven't. The gods I've... encountered I was told not to look at. I walked across one and fought monsters and horrors. They are unpleasant things. Weather still makes me jump." Because growing up in a sealed environment theoretically safe from the dangers of the outside world.

Harriet can add nothing to the search except an extra pair of eyes and ears, and a decent ability at drawing, so she can draw what is described, edit it until it's accurate, and now they have an image if anyone did see the red-clad man for them to ask about elsewhere.

Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Murkus wrote: Feb 22, 2023 10:59 pm Hog Heaven

Tsumi utters a dry cackle at all this lewd talk. "Damn. You get crude when you get a little liquored up, Dena," Tsumi says. She walks out opposite Dena and takes a rough approximation of a stance, but doesn't raise her weapon yet, keeping the tip aimed roughly at the ground.

"Sounds like a fun friend to have," Tsumi admits. "But, uh. Maybe a little weird, relationship-wise. Dick is sort of a dealbreaker, huh?"
Hog Heaven

"Honest is the word you're looking for." Dena corrects as she gestures to Tsumi.
But the oni's question seem to make her consider for a moment.
"...now that's a hell of a question. My relationship with dicks is quite complicated and I wouldn't want to bore you. But needless to say, dicks aren't necessarily a deal breaker."

She pauses.

"Why? You got one?" The gorgon smirks.

[Well Training]

Ambrosia have led Emily (and possibly Thariza) out to a mountainous region not far from Inside.
Here's a small shrine which the scholar stops at.

"Here we are." She declares as she stands before the shrine. "We're going to have a little picnic here and you Emily are going to fetch the water." She turns to her with a smile and gestures up towards a nearby mountain. "See, on the top of this mountain is a well where you can collect it. No other water in this region besides the river on the other side I'm afraid, which makes it rather precious. I'm not expecting you to fight anything but the terrain is fairly rough so if you get off the path you're going to have a hard time."

She hands Emily a old wooden bucket standing just by the shrine. "Just one condition, once you filled this with water, you will need to carry it with your tail. Understood?"
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

Emily grunts as she looks up towards the peak of the mountain, "... Yeah. This is going to suck, isn't it?"
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

It's not a terribly tall mountain. But perhaps more importantly, there's apparently a road leading to the well.
"It's not that bad. The nearby villagers travel to it all the time. Wouldn't be a well if it wasn't at least relatively easy to access. There's a path going all the way up to it after all." Ambrosia points out with a smile.
"Meanwhile, I am going to sit here at this shrine and meditate. Once you're done fetching the water you can join me if you want." The shrine has clearly been maintained so the villagers probably visit it too from time to time.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

Emily lets out a resigned, if amused, sigh. Nothing for it but to pick up the bucket and go, "Then, I suppose I'll be back soon."

And, if Ambrosia doesn't have more to say, Emily intends to start making her way to the well.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

"Good luck." Ambrosia bids just before Emily sets out.

And at first it does indeed seem like luck is with her. It's a forested area which means that Emily won't be too exposed to the wind starting to come in from the north as she starts her journey. But while the wind is brisk, it's still a sunny day and the temperature is high while not being sweltering.
The path is paved with stone and is just wide enough for her to comfortably walk on.

However, as she has been walking for about twenty minutes the wind starts picking up even more and the path is split into two. One is the main road and the other leads up to the mountain. The problem is that this path is noticeably narrower. Not really intended for anything more than a single standard-sized humanoid to travel along.

The wind is also carrying with it dark clouds which came in really fast. You don't usually get this sort of extreme weather change in mountainous or forested regions so this is a bit unusual.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

Emily will bend down, getting on all-fours, and does something rather undignified - she sniffs the ground. A trick of her biology she rarely outright tells people about is her extremely powerful nose. It's a part of why she got into cooking; she was always able to tell the exact mixture of a meal, the elements of a slab of meat, she could even tell if someone's blood sugar was low, or they had a lung infection, or what emotions they were consistently feeling (stress in particular) from the scents they put out naturally in their sweat and breath.

This is information that the vast majority of creatures can't really make use of in their day-to-day. A woman with a lung infection may not know it, and a dog won't know how to respond. At most, a crocodile will pick out a weak or sickly member of the herd of herbivores to eat; they're less likely to escape. But Emily is not just some animal; she's a human being, granted a far great ability to gain information than most humans. This collection of scent based information, married to the power of a human mind, is something she's long since learned to rely on.

Which is why she's now sniffing for people. People and animals. To try and get a sense of what they're carrying whenever they make their way along either path, to try and understand if one direction will be shorter than the other. Information saves you from poor decisions, after all.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

Well, unsurprisingly, she will get the idea that the people traveling along the main road had a greater variety of scents. Smells of various goods such as spices and various animals suggests this road has been used as a means of transportation for a long time.
From the other road she nearly only gets the scents she would associate with a forest. People have traveled along this path but they usually weren't carrying any strongly scented goods with them when they did.

Of course, another scent she will recognize is the one of ozone. But considering the storm clouds gathering over her head, that's likely not a surprise. It hasn't started to rain yet but everything suggests that the heavens are about to open up on her.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

Nothing usable, then. Damn. And the storm isn't likely to help matters; she needs to make her way quickly. So, instead of taking the main road, she chooses the path that seems to be the one that leads up the mountain, even if it's a tighter fit.

... But then, why does she have to stick strictly to the path, anyways? She can move into the trees, pass alongside it, but never straying too far. Rough ground is hardly a problem when you're moving on all four limbs, as stability ceases to be anywhere close to as large of an issue, and Emily's body plan absolutely supports that, allowing her to move at relative speed through the trees.

Maybe getting back down is going to be more of a hassle, but from up above she should have a better view of the paths anyways.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

The forest isn't particularly dense, especially near the road, so she won't have any trouble moving through it.
Indeed, the foliage will even provide some protection from the downpour that's about to hit her.

There's a thunderous roar but that isn't actual thunder as one might expect. That's simply the sound of the rain suddenly coming down.
It isn't quite a tropical rainstorm if Emily has ever experienced those but it's about as heavy as rainfall can get in a region like this.

Walking up a mountain, even on all fours, while it rains like this? Not exactly pleasant. While the forest's underbrush gets in her way its also preventing the ground from turning into mud so there's upsides and downsides with this.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

When the rain proper starts, Emily lets out a long sigh, "Wonderful."

Despite this, she doesn't stop. There is a task to be done, and she learned long ago that a little discomfort is no barrier. Moving under the trees helps a little with keeping it off her, though not really enough.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

At least the slope of the mountain is relatively gentle for the most part so while its a struggle she's making steady progress. And while the storm clouds now cover the sky it's still in the middle of the day so even with the heavy rain her visibility isn't that poor.
So if she follows the road she will despite many struggles find the well Ambrosia was talking about. It's a simple stone well with a wooden roof and a lid covering it. There's just one problem, the rope connected to the roof which you're supposed to lower the bucket down with seems to have snapped at some point and hadn't been replaced yet.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

... A setback, but not necessarily an insurmountable one. Emily will peek into the well - she wants to know how far down the water is, and what the walls of the well are made out of. If it's stone bricks, she can probably make this work without needing to bother someone. Even if it's dark, her night vision should help quite a bit.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

The walls of the well do seem to made of stone but not all the way down to the water below which is roughly a dozen meters down.
As she's looking down the well she can hear actual thunder and soon enough, see a flash of light. With more of them to follow.
Sounds like the storm is right on top of her now.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

There's a long moment of thought as Emily considers - really considers - if this is a worthwhile idea. She looks at the bucket. She looks at the sky.

... Huh. You know, it hadn't thundered until now. Where did the ozone from before come from? She could only smell it on Ambrosia before.

Not the point! She'll grab the lip of the well, and put her legs down into it, her tail hanging out below her with the bucket hanging off. First, a test, to make sure she can actually make her way down this thing. If not, she hasn't gone in deep enough that she can't pull herself out.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

Wells are usually not particularly wide unless they're community wells and this one isn't. It's just slightly larger than your standard well would be meaning that she would have the squeeze. In addition, the stone she would be pressing her hands against is slippery with moss growing on it. These factors combined would make the descend potentially dangerous if she commits to it.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

Emily grunts and pulls herself back out. Could she make it work? Probably. She at least kind of has the skills for this. But it's unacceptably risky, and the rain is only going to make it worse, unless she wants to swim along in an underground river for a while (screw that).

So, instead, she lets out a frustrated sound and begins relatively swiftly making her way towards the village where she knows people are.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Morty wrote: Feb 23, 2023 9:07 pm [Trail of The Red-Clad Man]

"I've been on the road for a while. Known more than one weather god. I know how it works."

That's an odd thing to mention so casually. Regardless, the two will reach the refugees from Welmet easily enough. No one is particularly eager to talk to them, but eventually someone mentions seeing a man like that near the Weirding Wood when the rooster attacked. Hiep heads there with dogged determination and begins to search for tracks. If she finds any, she stands above them and briefly glows yellow. Thus she tracks not only his physical presence but also stray thoughts and strands of fate. She'll try to learn his intended destination and physical appearance.
Earl of Purple wrote: Feb 24, 2023 12:40 pm Trail of the Red-Clad Man

"I haven't. The gods I've... encountered I was told not to look at. I walked across one and fought monsters and horrors. They are unpleasant things. Weather still makes me jump." Because growing up in a sealed environment theoretically safe from the dangers of the outside world.

Harriet can add nothing to the search except an extra pair of eyes and ears, and a decent ability at drawing, so she can draw what is described, edit it until it's accurate, and now they have an image if anyone did see the red-clad man for them to ask about elsewhere.
[Trail of the Red-Clad Man]

Well, of course Hiep will find tracks. She'll find all sorts of tracks. The shoeprints and damaged vegetation of panicking villagers running in every direction. The arrow-shaped indents indicating the rooster's own trail. The debris from the village itself, potentially, could count as tracks.

But, while searching the village, Hiep will find something that... might belong to the crimson-clad man. It certainly didn't seem to belong to the rooster.

Among the ruins of the village, Hiep's search turns up the edge of a large, round shape, embedded into the earth. Moving along this edge, in either direction, will see Hiep moving in a circle, large enough to comfortably park a school bus inside, as well as turn up six points along the edge that split off into a network of lines.

The circle itself feels cold to the touch. More so than a set of stones buried under a smoldering village should be. And the threads of fate that tie into it are beyond numerous. For an entire world, all fates tie into it. Their beginning and their end, in the cold and the dark. All that they are comes from the depths below, given by charitable creators and removed just as easily.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Junkyard]

The fakebot does succeed in surprising Zeeland, causing him to stop firing projectiles for the moment. Zeeland's response to this might not have been what Mia was expecting, however:

"Now I know you're a fake. The real TARBot is a dumb fuck, but he's not stupid enough to touch hot metal. But, just to be sure..."

Simultaneously, while saying this, the glow around the cyan core behind Zeeland intensifies for a very short moment, and his screen also lights up in blue for one or two seconds before going back to normal.

After this has taken place, Zeeland attempts to kick the fake TARBot away from him in order to free his hands. If successful, he will raise his left hand to absorb any fireballs that are deflected towards him, use his right hand to throw some more, and start moving towards Wenonir using the fire as cover.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Halae wrote: Feb 25, 2023 4:40 pm [Well Training]

Emily grunts and pulls herself back out. Could she make it work? Probably. She at least kind of has the skills for this. But it's unacceptably risky, and the rain is only going to make it worse, unless she wants to swim along in an underground river for a while (screw that).

So, instead, she lets out a frustrated sound and begins relatively swiftly making her way towards the village where she knows people are.
[Well Training]

The village is supposedly on the same side of the mountain as the shrine is though the two are still some distance apart. Ambrosia pointed it out in the distance while they were on their way towards the shrine.

So now she has to head down the mountain again which is both harder and easier at the same time. It's certainly a lot less exhausting to go down a slope then up it but as the rain never stopped its a great deal more slippery. The thunder and lighting doesn't make the situation better either.

But while it will be troublesome, she has been through worse and eventually she can see the lights of the village in the distance. As she gets closer she can't see any people around but considering the storm that's probably not a surprise. So how does she go about finding a good rope here?