Outside: Grass touch place

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
User avatar
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Posts: 2201
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 3:59 pm
Location: Amongst the Folk from the North
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Earl of Purple »

A Desire for Blue

The spinel pendent draws the eye to the wearer, a subtle effect to make them more noticeable, especially when the pendent is on display. The malachite ring grants the wearer an internal compass, letting them know which direction is north at all times.

Inside the gazebo, another exit is visible, a path leading to an archway carved into a cliff face. facet just to the south of the one the slug menaced. There's also a few more bones in the gazebo, not all of which are human. It's a tall cliff, but not very wide, perhaps a spire stretching up from the misty void below.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.

Tags:
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3896
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Keeper »

A Desire for Blue

"Zebes, it's dead." Jace says out loud, an understanding smile on his lips.
"Oh thank Apsu." Zebes crawls back onto Jace's shoulder as Jace casually reloads his handgun.
"You know, I'm a little confused as to how a unicorn would even get here considering there was at least two doors so far that required thumbs." remarks the familiar as he takes off and flies around the cliff face. He really wants to scout out over the cliff but decides not to risk getting caught in the mist and slamming into something (or worse).

He returns to Jace with a sigh. "No cheating allowed." "C'est la vie."
Jace shrugs as they continue into the archway.
User avatar
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Posts: 2201
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 3:59 pm
Location: Amongst the Folk from the North
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Earl of Purple »

A Desire For Blue

The cliff face is a spire, with the archway in the longer side. The spire doesn't seem to have any other entrances or exits.

Despite what Zebes found outside, however, the archway leads into a room with another exit- one that apparently shouldn't be here. This room is a rectangle, with a wooden door in the far wall flanked by tapestries of geometric shapes in an abstract style. The ceiling is dark and smokey, as the room is lit only by fifty-eight candles resting on the floor in pools of their own wax.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3896
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Keeper »

A Desire for Blue

Well! Jace takes a moment to admire the tapestries and the nice ambience. People in this world seem to not appreciate how nice candles can make a room. But that's just what having access to electric lights does.
Still, they have a mission so they'll try the door on the far side of the room. If it's locked, Jace's first guess would be to match the lit candles' pattern on the floor to the shapes in the tapestries.
User avatar
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Posts: 2201
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 3:59 pm
Location: Amongst the Folk from the North
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Earl of Purple »

A Desire for Blue

The far door is sealed, but not locked. Somebody's tried pouring candle wax into the hinges and between door and frame, though it hasn't worked well. Jace can shove the door open and break the seal relatively easily. Beyond it is a tiny chamber with a southern exit, an elegant archway leading into another rectangular room. This chamber has been roughly hewn from raw rock; the walls, floor, and ceiling are all marked with signs of tool use, and a crack in the roof and ceiling has moonlight filtering through it- despite whatever time Jace and Zebes entered the chapel, and totally ignoring that no such crack was visible from outside when Zebes flew around the spire. Another door lies to the room's south, another wooden door.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3896
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Keeper »

A Desire for Blue

Jace and Zebes look at each other, grinning. Elegant arches? Mysterious moonlight? Sounds pretty unicorn-y. They're getting close. Though that doesn't explain how a mythical creature with no hands lives in a place with so many doors. Maybe they are the kind of fey unicorns that can take human forms?

Either way, Jace continues through the stone room and its fancy archway to the next wooden door.
User avatar
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Posts: 2201
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 3:59 pm
Location: Amongst the Folk from the North
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Earl of Purple »

A Desire For Blue

The door leads out to a small stone platform, with rickety wooden rope bridges leading away, held up by posts emerging from the mists below. The bridge to the east turns north and disappears into more swirling mist, whilst the bridge headed west turns south, where there is more concealing mist. The ultimate destinations of either bridge are hidden in the mist.

Behind them, the door they passed through is visible; the wall it's set in is not. All that is there is the single doorway, with the wooden door hanging ajar and the previous chamber visible in the gap.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3896
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Keeper »

A Desire for Blue

Oh boy, their first branching path! The presence of the mist means the pair are not interested in splitting up. That's a terrible idea when magical mist is involved. Though the compass-ring would probably help with that...no, not worth the risk.
The pair stick together, choosing the west and then south path since they've been going steadily south for the past few minutes anyway. The bridge is a bit disconcerting but Zebes can grow to dragon size if something breaks and he needs to carry Jace out.
User avatar
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 670
Joined: Aug 17, 2022 5:44 pm

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Thursday Violist »

Zefir wrote: Sep 13, 2023 9:36 am [Riftline]

Todays the day of unfortunate events it seems. He rolled a nat 1 on flirting, An aristocat is trying to hit him and the caped man he didn't noticed befor moved.
So first of other then the employee he is a trained fighter for close combat and in addition he expected this. So he immediatly rise one arm to block the slaping attemp. After it is stoped he immediatly grabs the hand and turns it around, i think thats called the police grab.
"Deserve it for what?" he replies. "I take a wild guess. Your ancestor made some Money or impressed a king and got a title and you sit on that because you achived nothing in your life so far. Kinda close aren't I?"
He releases the aristocrat. After all he doesn't want to hurt them, just get them off their behaviour.
[Riftline]

If anyone should be blamed for the failed flirting, it should be Violeta Escarlate. She's a single mother whose mind is almost entirely occupied by worry for her one-year-old daughter. It's their first time apart, after all (she left her kid with her parents) while she's braving the wilds of the Nexus to try to find someone who can save her daughter's life.

Even if someone rolled a 19 on flirting, she wouldn't notice.

The creepy man behind her leans forward and whispers to her: "Hey. I know who you're descended from."

Violeta, who was previously worried about Zefir getting into a fight, suddenly freezes up as soon as she hears the creepy guy's statement. Her mind suddenly races, wondering why she was told that, and what this man plans to do with that knowledge.


The aristocrat catperson looks offended when his slap is blocked. And, not only that, he's grabbed! "How dare you," he says, before wincing and saying "Ow, ow, ow, let me go."

He didn't actually get hurt, even though he winced and acted like he got hurt.

Once he's let go, he stands up straight and readjusts his clothes. He glares at Zefir, as if he's going to threaten him back or do something, only he gives up too quickly and turns away. "When we all get away from here safely, you'll hear from my lawyer," he says. Which...won't happen. This catperson has no idea who he is, anyway, so there's no chance anything will happen at all.

He moves back to the other catpeople with him.

And then! One of the friendly hobgoblins comes up to Zefir, and says, "Oh, thank you! They've been acting pretty rude to everyone around, it's about time someone stood up to them." They pull out a plastic container filled with traditional hobgoblin food, and offers it to Zefir: "Are you hungry? Feel free to take some."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster
Posts: 3439
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Ironsmith »

Earl of Purple wrote: Sep 11, 2023 1:41 pm Little Sattleborough

Both the stone tower and the brick house part of the construction look to have stood a long while; four or five hundred years for the tower, and a century or so for the brick. The wood and tarpaulin extension is probably decades old, and won't last much longer without serious work.

Samantha nods and concentrates, thinking of how it could be worse. One thing that's going to occur as a result is the cloud gains a noxious whiff of tobacco, as Samantha really dislikes the smell. Might make it a little less intimidating, though, if the tower's occupants think it's caused by Jubilee's hundred-a-day habit.
[Little Sattleborough]

Jubilee raises an eyebrow at the change of odor, but quickly decides to run with it. There's got to be a reason why the smell is so far forward in Samantha's mind, and the first that comes to mind is that her father might be a smoker himself; if so, that would serve to be all the explanation needed for why she's here now.

"Stay here in the carriage. Don't come out until I say so." Jubilee commands, stepping toward the tower.

As she does, the dullahans in the driver's seat and on the back of the carriage begin letting out a low, wordless drone, the sound of humming without noses or vocal cords to turn the sound into anything but a ghostly groan. The smoke from under the carriage continues to pour out furiously, blanketing the area in thicker and thicker clouds, such that the first thing an observer from the house will see as Jubilee approaches is her outline; a hooded figure carrying a scythe over her shoulder, moving in a slow, unhurried walk toward the front door.

As soon as she's within earshot, Jubilee begins to sing, a sort of mocking lilt in her voice.

"O-o, death, o-O-o de~ath, O-o death... won't you spare me over till another year?"

As she approaches, she gives a little wave to the door, attempting to set it ablaze from the bottom up, so it will be burnt-out charcoal by the time she reaches it.

"Oh, death, consider my age, please don't take me at this stage,
My wealth is all at your command, if you will move your fiery hand..."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 485
Joined: Aug 03, 2022 6:59 am

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Zefir »

Thursday Violist wrote: Sep 13, 2023 11:50 pm [Riftline]

If anyone should be blamed for the failed flirting, it should be Violeta Escarlate. She's a single mother whose mind is almost entirely occupied by worry for her one-year-old daughter. It's their first time apart, after all (she left her kid with her parents) while she's braving the wilds of the Nexus to try to find someone who can save her daughter's life.

Even if someone rolled a 19 on flirting, she wouldn't notice.

The creepy man behind her leans forward and whispers to her: "Hey. I know who you're descended from."

Violeta, who was previously worried about Zefir getting into a fight, suddenly freezes up as soon as she hears the creepy guy's statement. Her mind suddenly races, wondering why she was told that, and what this man plans to do with that knowledge.


The aristocrat catperson looks offended when his slap is blocked. And, not only that, he's grabbed! "How dare you," he says, before wincing and saying "Ow, ow, ow, let me go."

He didn't actually get hurt, even though he winced and acted like he got hurt.

Once he's let go, he stands up straight and readjusts his clothes. He glares at Zefir, as if he's going to threaten him back or do something, only he gives up too quickly and turns away. "When we all get away from here safely, you'll hear from my lawyer," he says. Which...won't happen. This catperson has no idea who he is, anyway, so there's no chance anything will happen at all.

He moves back to the other catpeople with him.

And then! One of the friendly hobgoblins comes up to Zefir, and says, "Oh, thank you! They've been acting pretty rude to everyone around, it's about time someone stood up to them." They pull out a plastic container filled with traditional hobgoblin food, and offers it to Zefir: "Are you hungry? Feel free to take some."
[Riftline]

Hmm a mother? Well you can't see that from meeting in a train. Not that makes it impossible. It just get's a bit complicated, depenmding on the mans situation. If he is gone or the worst guy in the world things are okay, but if he'sa nice guy but they just don't fit it feels akward. Not that he has any clue about that now.

The catperson might not want to know who he is. I mean he was a known AMEN member. Not popular, but still you saw him with them. Just remember the riverside thing. Only a few might know he was leading them outside of AMEN, but i barly can imagine who it would be. Even scry people couldn't see him.

Either way the catperson looks at a mad face who suddendly turns normal as the hobgoblin speaks up.
"Thank you, but i have to decline. My stomach declines eating in trains." he says and obviously he hasn't had anything to eat with him if they cared.

Unless stoped he would return to his seat and notice the rearangement of the cloaked guy. Not that he has that much to worry about it, sinc ehe hasn't heared what he said to the foxwoman.
User avatar
Shadowcaller
Arisen Zombie Poster
Posts: 3270
Joined: Aug 02, 2022 6:29 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Aug 22, 2023 5:23 pm [Well Training]

"We aren't now. But in the past..." Thariza sighs. "I've told you about Ascalon. How they... we... burned it to the ground. And how the human sorcerer-king cursed his own people just do deny us his capital. Then there's Ebonhawke... the last remaining human city in Ascalon. Generations of Charr couldn't take it, breaking and dying against its walls. Now the Imperators and the human queen are meeting there to make a peace treaty. Or they were when I left. I hope it worked."
Halae wrote: Sep 12, 2023 9:26 am [Well Training]

"If they're working on it, that's the first step. There'll probably be assholes unwilling to see reason, but heads of state tend to be pragmatic in general; they're the ones that see the costs and realize they're wasting resources," It sounds like Emily is trying to convince herself with that argument. Her tone doesn't speak to a great deal of confidence in what she's espousing, but she's trying to be optimistic for Thariza's sake.
Murkus wrote: Aug 24, 2023 8:07 pm [Hog Heaven]

Tsumi makes an 'o' with her lips. "Oooh, a college girl." She listens to the rest of Dena's explanation just as brightly... and bellows another one of her laughs again when Dena finishes. "She looked a lot like me? Damn. I mean. I'm into chicks, mostly. So I guess it's not really that far off..." She smirks. "You know, some people would get offended, you stereotyping em' and shit. And ain't nobody had the balls to ever call me 'butch'."

"If you're that into 'vehicles' though--" What a funny way of phrasing, Tsumi thinks, "I could take you for a ride sometime."
Magtok wrote: Sep 12, 2023 9:37 am Orb of Oujet

"Yeah, I guess so!" Laz answers, confusedly looking at Anika like there's something on the elf's face. Has her blood always been like that, so readily apparent and pulsing in her veins? That's so weird and annoying; she hopes she can learn to tune that out and won't have to put her sword away every time she has to talk to someone. Likewise goes for her own blood and heart, pounding in her chest and needlessly circulating blood through an undead body that doesn't really need to flow like that.

"Its name is Tiamat's Tooth...I think. I don't know how I know that. Tiamat is that one dragon goddess with the five heads, right?" she raises an eyebrow at her new sword. It doesn't really look like a goddess's tooth, but maybe the name is more figurative than literal, or the tooth magically transformed into a sword after falling out of the big dragon deity's mouth. It certainly has the magical energy to be a divine tooth, but do dragons normally care about blood the way this sword does? Isn't that really more of a vampire kind of thing?

"...Anyway, we're done here now, right? Mission accomplished, the day is saved, time to go home and put the orb in the special storage box full of world-threatening artifacts that Vigil definitely has?" Saint Lazarus asks, hoping Anika has a better idea on how to proceed from here than the zombie does. That might be incredibly foolish and overly optimistic of her, though. I mean, when was the last time Anika had a better idea?
[Hog Heaven]

"I wouldn't say college. I was tutored. Never even been set my foot inside a school." Dena admits.

Then she waves dismissively. "But back in those days people thought I acted like a dude. Though for completely different reasons." Dena points at Tsumi. "Since you know what? Believe it or not, I was kind of a nerd back then. All scrawny and asocial. Not anything like you..." The gorgon spends a moment just staring at Tsumi's abs, seemingly having lost her train of thought.
"But I could probably help with some vehicles, yeah. Depends on what you got."

[Well Training]

"Depends on the kind of state they rule over. In some regions of the world the rulers can change through the will of the people which means those that don't embrace pragmatism don't last long." Ambrosia remarks, the words aimed more to Emily than Thariza.
"But if they're willing to have diplomatic meetings that's a great sign. Usually those can take a long time but eventually they usually go through in my experience. Once people have a chance to meet one another in person in good faith they can get over all sorts of things."

A beat.

"Though I suppose my experiences mostly apply to people that aren't rulers. It takes a special kind of person to raise to the top."

Orb of Oujet

"Maybe you gave it that name without realizing it?" Anika suggests. "It's a cool name. Even if I don't know what Tiamat is." The druid leans over, giving the sword a closer look. She had no idea how people could tell if stuff was magical or not until they put it on. Was that the case here? Laz had just grabbed it and had a realization it was magical?

"But yeah, you're right. It looks like we're done here. So we can head back to base and then you might be able to ask someone there about the sword. Or who Tiamat is. Unless you actually made it up yourself someone gotta know, right?"

But taking attention off the sword and back at orb in her hand she suddenly realizes something. "But you don't happen to have something to carry it in do you? Like a blanket or something." As she asks this she has start to walk back the way they came.
Image
User avatar
Rebonack
Immortal Vampire Poster
Posts: 4023
Joined: May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Rebonack »

[Orb of Oujet]

Laz is correct! Tiamat IS that goddess that's a dragon with five heads!

But...

That feels wrong, somehow.

Like maybe that's an imperfect reflection of what the sword was drawn forth from. That's an idea that was born from Tiamat, but it isn't Tiamat. Not really. Tiamat isn't some far distant god of avarice and covetousness sealed away in hell. She's near, close at hand. She was betrayed.

Betrayed betrayed betrayed.

Her treacherous children, her own offspring, murdered her husband and their father.

Oh Apsu, Apsu, Apsu my love.

In her rage she made war against them, but she was slain. From her ribs the vault of heaven was fashioned, from her tail was made the milky way. From her teeth the mountains were raised, from her weeping eyes came the source of all waters.

And from her blood.

From her blood was fashioned all the mortal races, doomed to be slaves to the usurper gods.

Though dead, Tiamat still writhes and smites at the bottom of the world in madness, feeling the pains and joys of every blood-filled creature that teems upon the surface of the world. And though mortal minds have forgotten her, yet still her blood remembers from where it came.

Remember remember remember.
User avatar
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Posts: 2201
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 3:59 pm
Location: Amongst the Folk from the North
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Earl of Purple »

A Desire For Blue

The bridge wobbles and sways, but remains intact- somehow. It also stops and restarts twice, each time at a right-angle to its previous orientation. Eventually, heading west once more, it ends at a wooden door, set into a sturdy brick wall. The door isn't locked or stuck, and opens freely without a squeak. Beyond, it's a stone room with rough flagstones on the floor. Against the far wall there's an obvious pit, from which some sounds are audible. Without entering the room and investigating it, there's no other exits visible from the doorway.

Little Sattleborough

The smoke shrouds the base of the tower, and the door ignites. The singing attracts attention, however, and somebody approaches from inside the tower and starts to spray the door with a fire extinguisher, as a baby starts to cry inside.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3896
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Keeper »

A Desire for Blue

Hm. That’s strange. This might be a dead end unless the pit turns into a tunnel.
Jace moves into the room to investigate, being careful to look for more pits. He’ll try to get to the obvious one and look inside, sending a light down if necessary.
User avatar
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Posts: 2201
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 3:59 pm
Location: Amongst the Folk from the North
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Earl of Purple »

A Desire For Blue

It is not a dead end. There's another door in the same wall Jace entered, but further north- though it should also be noted that door isn't visible from outside, although it should be. The pit has spikes at the bottom, and also giant centipedes. The noise is the sound of their legs skittering against the iron spikes and the clatter of their carapaces as they bump into each other. Impaled on the spikes is a skeletal corpse wearing glowing armour. In the corner behind the door Jace and Zebes entered by is a pile of bent copper coins.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3896
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Keeper »

A Desire for Blue

Zebes gags again. Centipedes are almost as gross as roaches which aren’t as bad as slugs.

Jace glances at his familiar and then at the shiny piece of loot that looks expensive but isn’t useful to him and requires blowing up a pit’s worth of giant bugs.
”On the way out, maybe.” Jace assures Zebes gently before turning to instead go through the other north door. Zebes will take one of the pennies as a souvenir for his hoard at least.
User avatar
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil
Posts: 2964
Joined: Jul 25, 2022 3:09 pm
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by bc56 »

Japaraita
"I, uh, don't know." Sekhmet says. "I can still get around okay without wings. But without legs like this it would be hard to go anywhere outside the water."

"Inside is a nice city, but it won't go anywhere. We're near the sea right now, it's a good time to go looking, right?"
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
User avatar
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 569
Joined: Aug 04, 2022 12:37 am

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Murkus »

Shadowcaller wrote: Sep 14, 2023 3:03 pm [Hog Heaven]

"I wouldn't say college. I was tutored. Never even been set my foot inside a school." Dena admits.

Then she waves dismissively. "But back in those days people thought I acted like a dude. Though for completely different reasons." Dena points at Tsumi. "Since you know what? Believe it or not, I was kind of a nerd back then. All scrawny and asocial. Not anything like you..." The gorgon spends a moment just staring at Tsumi's abs, seemingly having lost her train of thought.
"But I could probably help with some vehicles, yeah. Depends on what you got."
[Hog Heaven]

"Cute," Tsumi says with raised brows, trying to picture Dena as a scrawny nerd. She certainly... grew up. Tsumi gets a touch of darker color in her cheeks when she notices the gorgon staring. She smiles lightly.

"You know, I didn't say 'help me with some vehicles'," Tsumi points out. She bounces up from her seat, light on her feet for someone so big, and moves over to Dena with the slightest sway in her hips. Which... well, puts Dena about eye level with those abs, too. The oni's voice drops, husky and amused. "I said I'd like to take you for a ride."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster
Posts: 3439
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Ironsmith »

Earl of Purple wrote: Sep 15, 2023 12:36 pm Little Sattleborough

The smoke shrouds the base of the tower, and the door ignites. The singing attracts attention, however, and somebody approaches from inside the tower and starts to spray the door with a fire extinguisher, as a baby starts to cry inside.
[Little Sattleborough]

Jubilee frowns a little at the sound of a baby crying, but shrugs it off. This asshole really should have thought of that before he abused his daughter. She's sure she'll work something out.

The flames do not react well to the extinguisher. Not in the sense that they go out; rather, they flare up and grow in intensity, turning a sickly green to remind the one using the apparatus that the fire is clearly supernatural in nature and cares nothing for their attempt to use chemistry to subdue it.

Outside, in the carriage, the dullahans continue to drone, the sound growing in volume and intensity as Jubilee reaches forward and attempts to push the door off its likely-weakened hinges.

"But what is this, that I can't see, with ashen hands takin' hold of me?
When god is gone, and the devil takes hold, who'll have mercy on your soul?

O-oh, death~"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Posts: 2201
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 3:59 pm
Location: Amongst the Folk from the North
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Earl of Purple »

A Desire for Blue

The door needs quite some force to open, as somebody has tried to block it in the past by hammering wedges underneath it from the other side. It can still be opened, however, especially if Jace uses some magic. Beyond, there's a corridor which heads east before turning north and then west once more. The corridor ends with an archway leading into a spherical room with vitrified glassy sides, as though it was formed by an immense explosion of some kind. The bottom of the room is filled with murky water, from which several items protrude- a splintered hand-held battering ram, an ornate wooden table peppered with broken arrows and quarrels, a sodden mattress, and a rusty iron gibbet with severe corrosion issues. Another door leads out, set into the northern side of the room.

Little Sattleborough

Samantha shivers as the song continues, quite unnerved by the tune and the drone.

The baby's wailing increases as the burning door flares green, and the child is joined by an older voice, a young woman calling for help and insisting she'll pay her debts if only they put the fire out and let her live.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3896
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Keeper »

A Desire for Blue

Jace glances at that murky water and the contents and decided to definitely not risk it. He poofs into his adorable little Pokémon form and he and Zebes use their wings to fly over the watery room to the other side. Hopefully nothing jumps out at them.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster
Posts: 3439
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Ironsmith »

[Little Sattleborough]

The next lines seem to come in direct response to the unseen woman's plea.

"No wealth, no ruin, no silver, no gold, nothing satisfies me but your soul.
Well I am Death, none can excel, I'll open the door to heaven or hell."


And if she can manage that, this rinky-dink little wooden plank doesn't stand half a chance.

Jubilee gives the door one last shove, aiming to pull it free from its hinges and send it straight to the floor, where mercifully, it will extinguish herself. The smoke that's been building behind her would then flood into the room, framing out Jubilee and her scythe in the doorframe. She won't be walking in just yet; she'll stand there a minute and let her presence and the implications thereof soak in, scanning the room with a stoic expression, notably passing right over any girls, women, or children in the room; she isn't here for any of them.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
User avatar
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Posts: 2201
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 3:59 pm
Location: Amongst the Folk from the North
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Earl of Purple »

A Desire For Blue

The water isn't quite high enough one couldn't walk around it, Earl apologises for not making that clear. Regardless, nothing disturbs the room as Jace and Zebes fly over it to the next door. That door isn't locked, and opens reasonably easily; beyond, a pair of rooms is visible. The immediate chamber is a room of concrete slabs, a bronze pipe emerging into the middle of the room and puffing out foul, acrid smoke that is in turn drained out of a grate in the ceiling. An archway in the east leads to another, linked chamber. There's also a door in the west, a steel slab with a lever set in the wall next to it. A pile of bottles lies in the archway, enough of them that going through it without making noise is tricky.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3896
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Keeper »

A Desire for Blue

Jace and Zebes are still in their tiny flying forms, so if they fly very straight they could get through the arch without hitting the bottles.
Still, Jace doesn’t have any real idea of exactly where they should be going to he’ll poof back into his human shape and try hitting the lever to hopefully open the door.
User avatar
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Posts: 2201
Joined: Aug 01, 2022 3:59 pm
Location: Amongst the Folk from the North
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Earl of Purple »

Little Sattleborough

The door slams down, and the smoke pours into the room. It's a living space, one which has seen better days; an old sofa is against the other wall, opposite a small black-and-white television and a large wireless. There's two doors further into the building, one of which leads into the old tower. The floor has a threadbare brown carpet spread across it, with a moth-eaten smilodon-skin rug over the top. There's no men visible in the chamber; just a young woman with pale skin, red hair and freckles, wearing a stained t-shirt and a pair of knickers, holding a baby tight to her chest. There's an empty brass fire extinguisher discarded in the corner, next to an umbrella stand containing a black umbrella, a parasol and an aluminium walking-stick, but otherwise the room is empty.

A Desire For Blue

The lever is pulled and there's a loud clunk, which would alert anything on either side of the door, and then the squeal of poorly maintained machinery as the door rises into the ceiling. There's a path beyond, round stepping-stones leading off in a meandering path to another building floating in the mist.

There's a splash from behind the duo, as something moves in the water. If they look, a long tentacle emerging from the ooze, three eyes arranged vertically in a leaf-shaped protrusion at the end.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
User avatar
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Posts: 3896
Joined: Jul 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Location: Brinstar

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Keeper »

A Desire For Blue

”Crap.”
Jace is glad he wasn’t close to the ooze when that thing emerged. Sometimes things like that can be very magic resistant.
Jace hops onto the stone way before anything can emerge fully and start chasing them. This is EXTREMELY perilous. Jace would probably never take this kind of path if he couldn’t poof into a victini and fly if he falls. If the wind blows that may very well happen.
User avatar
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 670
Joined: Aug 17, 2022 5:44 pm

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Thursday Violist »

Zefir wrote: Sep 14, 2023 9:40 am [Riftline]

Hmm a mother? Well you can't see that from meeting in a train. Not that makes it impossible. It just get's a bit complicated, depenmding on the mans situation. If he is gone or the worst guy in the world things are okay, but if he'sa nice guy but they just don't fit it feels akward. Not that he has any clue about that now.

The catperson might not want to know who he is. I mean he was a known AMEN member. Not popular, but still you saw him with them. Just remember the riverside thing. Only a few might know he was leading them outside of AMEN, but i barly can imagine who it would be. Even scry people couldn't see him.

Either way the catperson looks at a mad face who suddendly turns normal as the hobgoblin speaks up.
"Thank you, but i have to decline. My stomach declines eating in trains." he says and obviously he hasn't had anything to eat with him if they cared.

Unless stoped he would return to his seat and notice the rearangement of the cloaked guy. Not that he has that much to worry about it, sinc ehe hasn't heared what he said to the foxwoman.
[Riftline]

Let's hope the catperson doesn't ever actually learn who he is. He'd feel so terrified if he did.

The hobgoblin is disappointed that he doesn't want any, but that's okay. Not wanting to eat in trains is pretty reasonable. She sits back down to talk with the others around.

And, finally, the cloaked guy sits back once Zefir returns. Unlike that aristocrat catperson, this cloaked man actually is able to see Zefir as someone to not mess with (even though he, too, has no idea who he is).

Violeta Escarlate doesn't react for several moments after Zefir returns, as she's just thinking about what the guy now sitting behind her said to her, and what it means. She looks for a distraction from her thoughts, and turns to Zefir, "Oh. Um....Actually, that was pretty impressive. I hope the train worker is able to get back to work and get something done, then," she says.

The storm outside picks up and the rain gets even noisier. Lightning flashes and thunder roars.

She thinks, and says, "Well, I hope this doesn't take too long." She ends up rambling, and keeps on talking: "How long did they say it'd take? A couple hours for someone to get here? Do you know anything that can help pass the time? I didn't even bring a book, or anything."

bc56 wrote: Sep 16, 2023 1:17 am Japaraita
"I, uh, don't know." Sekhmet says. "I can still get around okay without wings. But without legs like this it would be hard to go anywhere outside the water."

"Inside is a nice city, but it won't go anywhere. We're near the sea right now, it's a good time to go looking, right?"
[Japaraita]

"Oh. Okay," June says. She rolls over to get sun on the other side, before she gets too much sun on her back and burns. "Wings are still pretty nice, though. Decent alternative to legs if you don't have any, I suppose." She tries to think of something funny she could say about how, like, Legs have a monopoly on land movement or how something-or-other but she can't think of anything funny enough.

She sighs.

"You need to stop making so much sense. If you're making too much sense, I can't think of any good reasons to put off looking for a sea witch."

June rolls her neck. "Yeah, okay, you convinced me, then. Immediately after this, instead of wandering around more random villages I'm going to look for a sea witch. You're right. Better now than going all the way inland than having to go all the way back to the ocean afterwards."
User avatar
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil
Posts: 2964
Joined: Jul 25, 2022 3:09 pm
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by bc56 »

Japaraita
"Legs are, uh, kind of necessary to use wings," Sekhmet replies. "You have to be able to get a running start to fly easily, and you need them to land safely too."
Sekhmet considers. "It's not that bad. Inside's a port city, so you could swim all the way there." There might even be sea witches living there.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
User avatar
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Posts: 670
Joined: Aug 17, 2022 5:44 pm

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Thursday Violist »

bc56 wrote: Sep 17, 2023 3:11 am Japaraita
"Legs are, uh, kind of necessary to use wings," Sekhmet replies. "You have to be able to get a running start to fly easily, and you need them to land safely too."
Sekhmet considers. "It's not that bad. Inside's a port city, so you could swim all the way there." There might even be sea witches living there.
[Japaraita]

"I'm sure you could fly if you fell off a high enough place," June says. "No legs needed for takeoff, if you're willing to fall far enough. As for landing..."

Landing is, of course, the toughest part. And, arguably, the most important part.
"Well, never mind that. Landing's not that important, anyway."

She lies there, thinking about what Sekhmet was saying: "Oh! Inside's a port city?" she repeats, "Huh. I didn't know that. That does make it more convenient. I was thinking about getting there the long way, then. It's a few hours away from here by train, after all." Since Japaraita is nearby Shadowhaven, and the last time it appeared onscreen, Shadowhaven was a few hours away from Inside.
Post Reply