Outside: Grass touch place

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: Jan 08, 2023 8:57 pm Forsaken Cathedral
"Probably the last one." Charcoal sighs. "I should watch her. I won't be much good for digging soon, and if that's what she wants, we shouldn't feed me." Miranda might object to that suggestion. She should know at least enough fiendlore to know that that would put them on a strict timer - Charcoal will shrivel up and fade away to nothing if she goes too long without feeding - and that's assuming she doesn't go crazy from hunger and try to get what she needs from Miranda by force first.
[Forsaken Cathedral]

"But that would kill you." Miranda replies, crossing her arms. "And not in the way you can come back from, if I remember right. It would be more productive for me to just shoot you in the head and continue on my own." She raises her hand to forestall any objections. "Not that I'm going to, unless I absolutely have to. It looks like we might be able to feed you still, provided we can preserve the cylinder's seal so Sapphira doesn't gain anything from it... or at least, so she isn't able to do anything with the energy she gets." She pulls up her Hotbox and starts running through the options. "...I could try putting additional physical restraints on the cap. So she has to work through more to get it open. But that would only slow her down, not stop her, and we're probably going to need some time to do this right. Maybe I could weld it shut, since we only need to get it open again when we get back to the Depths, if then." She frowns. "No, that's not good... we're not exactly in safe conditions for welding. Hm..."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.

Tags:
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Dysphotic Swamp]

Hey plenty of older people are pokemon trainers!

They just aren't weird kids trying to become the next pokemon league champion.

Obviously Seraphina isn't one of those. She's one of the people with, like, one or two pokemon which she dresses up because it's cute.

Anyway! Lots of administrative stuff happens. Khannie isn't terribly useful for providing detailed descriptions since her illusions are still a bit out of whack. She probably needs to rest and eat lunch or something before she'll feel better and manage to get the shadows to start listening to her again. By the time the bus arrives she'll probably be okay.

She's glad the woman's okay, though! It's just... it really sucks they weren't able to do anything about her friends.

But that's the thing about being a hero.

You can't always save everyone.

When asked what she wants to do now Khannie gives Seraphina a slightly exasperated look and then pulls out her phone.

Not that there's any coverage here.

She can just type into it. The zoroark is uncannily dexterous. At least partly because she's got four fingers and a thumb on each hand so she can actually manipulate things pretty well. That's WAY more useful than just having three huge claws. Once she's typed a message she holds it up for Seraphina to see.
I should wait for the bus and get back home. It doesn't look like there's a train station near here.
Khannie hasn't ever been on a BUS before.

Aren't those, like, a Riverside thing?

[Neon Forest]

Yeah.

Generally speaking telling someone 'hey stop being a monster' isn't super helpful.

But!

Khannie really wouldn't MIND if she stopped being a monster!

She would just need to find some way to become a real human girl without any soul-warping evil contracts being involved in the process.

Which might be tricky.

"Yeah I know,"
Khannie replies, her voice quiet. "'s why I don't do it to people. Heroes don't do that to people, even bad guys."

Khannie's powerful conviction about heroes not killing will probably prevent anything like that from ever happening.

Probably.

[Tower of Oujet]

Man tides of monsters are always ruining everything, aren't they?

Laz begins sliding the cabling into place from the alcoves to the central pillar and WHAM energy begins flowing through them right away! Little robotic arms fold out of the alcoves and begin working on the golems. It only takes a few moments for one of the constructs to light up and-!

Stomp right past our heroes to head down the stairs and fend off zombies.

Huh.

That actually worked out okay?

There comes a hiss from the ceiling above them as energy continues to flow upwards once again. Oh! And a little ladder thing extends down from a hatch, providing access to the roof of the tower! Should our heroes decide to use the handy access point they'll soon find themselves standing next to a spire crackling with power and a brightly glowing orb of white and gold floating at its zenith.

It really doesn't look much like an eye.

There are some controls at the base of the spire, as it happens. Thankfully the sort that seem relatively simple. A touch screen sort of setup showing a view of what the eye is currently pointed at, that being one of the mountain sides nearby. Touching the screen will shift it's view. And there's a great big red button under a flip-up transparent cover that probably fires the thing.

This is exactly what every zombie wants.

A giant magical death-ray of their own.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Forsaken Cathedral
Miranda doesn't need to forestall any complaints about the "just shoot you" plan. "You could," Charcoal actually seems to think it might be a good idea, "If I could reform in time, I could bring a message to her majesty." The talk of welding is another idea. "I could do it. Make heat and not fire to weld with." She's an adept pyromancer, she definitely could. And she wants to make up for her earlier betrayal, even though Miranda isn't yet aware of it.

Neon Forest
"There are some who deserve death," Kothar disagrees, "But I not executioner or assassin. My foes get honor to die with weapon in hand." Very much a trial by combat sort of thing.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Junkyard]

When the wall of fire erupts, Wenomir leaps high into the air, with apparently little effort, somersaults and lands behind Zeeland.

"The bad news is, we fooled you. Your target isn't here. The good news... you can surrender and save yourself some trouble."

[Welmet]

Hiep backs away, tripping on some uneven terrain, which causes her to roll away from the falling creature.

"I don't think I can punch it to death, which means I'm out of options!"
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jan 08, 2023 2:24 pm [Hog Heaven]

Dena makes a dismissive wave. "As in baseball bats." She didn't think she needed to clarify that part, but it was best to make sure. "And it's not as concerning as it sounds. People are supposed to wear these suits that absorb kinetic energy, yeah? The more they absorb the more points the opposing team scores. Even if its just you falling on your ass. Though I don't think that's worth a lot of points. Anyhow, in theory that let's you get away with using all sort of implements even if you're only supposed to use the laser-guns they give you."

A beat.

"As in light-guns, not anything dangerous. But my point is that you could also use a sword to stab the suit with as long as its blunted. Like a training sword or something."
[Hog Heaven]

"...Is this some sort of full contact laser-tag place?" Tsumi positively beams. "Dena. Are you-- are you basically inviting me to laser tag?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Hog Heaven]

"...yeah. Exactly. I know it's a bit weird but hey-" Dena points at Tsumi. "-you can't deny that smile of yours." She returns it, grinning.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[Dysphotic Swamp]

Considering how dire the situation was for the woman, it's very likely the Nexus sent the two of them there to get lost in the swamp, just to make sure the woman got saved.

Seraphina shrugs in response to the exasperation. What's she supposed to do, if not ask?
She reads the phone.
And nods.
"Yeah, I don't see a train either," she says.
She glances over at the bus stop, and then at the gas station. "Yeah, you go check the stop, see if they've got times posted there. I'll see at the station if they've got any maps for sale."

Seraphina heads towards the tiny little gas station.

The bus stop, however! It's pretty ordinary for a bus stop. It's got shade, a place to sit, and it even has posted what times the buses should come by! It even states what town each bus will bring Khannie to! Brickelwhyte, Snowbush, Caldas da Rainha, Shadowhaven, Shorebeach (presumably it's in Seaside), and Oliveira do Hospital. Based on the schedule, some of them, the bus should come by in a quarter of an hour. Others, though, she'd have to wait a few hours for the next bus.
It doesn't really give much more context than that.
The stop does give the impression that some of the buses might be little more than vans, and other buses may require you to share a bench with a chicken or a goat.

Luckily, the map helps with that! Which Seraphina has gotten, and she brings it over to the bus stop and Khannie. Along with two gas station sandwiches. The plastic-wrapped kind that taste a little weird and have random flavors. "Yup, got a map," she announces.

Apparently, Caldas da Rainha and Shadowhaven are both large enough to have decent Riftline stations, though Shadowhaven is far enough out of the way that the time gained by taking the first bus is practically lost by the long detour. Snowbush is quite a bit smaller and out of the way, but does have a Riftline station, too. Shorebeach is pretty much a dead end unless you're part-mermaid or a sailor. And Brickelwhyte's location is pretty close to Inside. And Oliveira do Hospital...is in the middle of nowhere. Truly and utterly the middle of nowhere.

Well, after a certain amount of time, the bus she wants does show up, with the town it's headed to posted in the window.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

bc56 wrote: Jan 10, 2023 6:25 pm Forsaken Cathedral
Miranda doesn't need to forestall any complaints about the "just shoot you" plan. "You could," Charcoal actually seems to think it might be a good idea, "If I could reform in time, I could bring a message to her majesty." The talk of welding is another idea. "I could do it. Make heat and not fire to weld with." She's an adept pyromancer, she definitely could. And she wants to make up for her earlier betrayal, even though Miranda isn't yet aware of it.
[Forsaken Cathedral]

"That... hm." Miranda runs a finger under her chin in thought. "That might work. You'd have to try to weld it shut from the inside, though... we don't want to fill up our limited space with toxic fumes from welding the outside. If your pyromancy can handle that, it should hopefully be enough to keep it sealed until we can get it to Sekhmet." She crosses her arms and considers their situation further. "...And that other plan... I don't like the idea of playing dice with your life, or of being left alone with Sapphira in an ambiguously-secure container. If you can't reform, in time or at all, it'll only make our situation worse."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Magtok wrote: Jan 09, 2023 5:25 am [Tower of Oujet]

Laz doesn't seem quite so interested in climbing, as she instead focuses on trying to pull the cable/hose things to the center of the room, and attach them to the whatever-that-is. It looks like it should fit together, right? It'll probably do something else once they're all connected! She just has to hurry, because there's really not much time before the tide of monsters makes its way up here and ruins everything.
Rebonack wrote: Jan 09, 2023 5:10 pm [Tower of Oujet]

Man tides of monsters are always ruining everything, aren't they?

Laz begins sliding the cabling into place from the alcoves to the central pillar and WHAM energy begins flowing through them right away! Little robotic arms fold out of the alcoves and begin working on the golems. It only takes a few moments for one of the constructs to light up and-!

Stomp right past our heroes to head down the stairs and fend off zombies.

Huh.

That actually worked out okay?

There comes a hiss from the ceiling above them as energy continues to flow upwards once again. Oh! And a little ladder thing extends down from a hatch, providing access to the roof of the tower! Should our heroes decide to use the handy access point they'll soon find themselves standing next to a spire crackling with power and a brightly glowing orb of white and gold floating at its zenith.

It really doesn't look much like an eye.

There are some controls at the base of the spire, as it happens. Thankfully the sort that seem relatively simple. A touch screen sort of setup showing a view of what the eye is currently pointed at, that being one of the mountain sides nearby. Touching the screen will shift it's view. And there's a great big red button under a flip-up transparent cover that probably fires the thing.

This is exactly what every zombie wants.

A giant magical death-ray of their own.
[Tower of Oujet]

Now what was Laz doing? Was that a part of a puzzle?
Or maybe not a puzzle. Like a mechanism perhaps? Like a clock except for gears it had these... weird ropes?
It almost made sense until it all started to glow. Since once things started to glow Anika knew it was magic-related.
Well, even if it was Laz had figured it out so now they could ascend to the final section!

Probably to a boss battle or something like that.

Since mages were organized by high-archy, as in the closer they were to the top they more power they had. That's why they always built towers, so they could be higher up! Which was also why the boss always hanged out up there. Or so she assumed.

Still being a hawk she will just fly up to the hatch so that Laz didn't have to watch her butt while climbing up. Much easier.

Once she's at the top she has a quick look around and-

-notices the big red button. "Hey, should we press that?"
It was basically asking for it.
Being so big and red.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Welmet

Harriet dives out of the way of the falling bird, dropping her spear as she does so. She had to choose between it and her mace, and decided to keep the weapon she uses to channel her blast attacks. She'll roll a bit before standing up again and directing a blast of radiation into the rooster's centre of mass- no heat, no lightning, just radiation and perhaps a bit of light when it passes through water. Hopefully it's vomiting from radiation sickness, in which case a bit more radiation should help finish it off sooner, right?
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dysphotic Swamp]

Hopefully the gas station has maps for sale.

Maybe also gas.

Do they sell petroleum products? Or are they weird and sell, like Tibanna gas? Or xenon? Or whatever? This IS the Nexus after all. A gas station selling strange exotic gasses instead of fuel for cars definitely seems like the sort of nonsense you might encounter Outside.

Anyway, Khannie spends her time contemplating the bus schedual and being irritated that she can't talk. She's pretty sure that by the time the waiting for the bus and possibly riding the bus is over she'll be good to go, though. Khannie's definitely going to remember this. Over-taxing her illusions is bad. Over-taxing her illusions in places that mess with her magic ANYWAY is double-bad.

When Seraphina returns Khannie offers a smile and a thumbs up (she's very good at smiling with a weird canid face without it looking threatening) and accepts the sandwich. She munches on it whilst contemplating her options. Clearly she wants to get home as soon as possible. That means picking the route that has the shortest bus ride AND the shortest wait time combined. Whichever destination fits that parameter? She'll choose that one.

Which SOUNDS LIKE it'll be Shadowhaven.

Upside there?

Not having to wait as long for the bus!

Downside?

Khannie might end up having to sit next to a goat.

Hopefully Khannie and Seraphina can both claim a seat to prevent any unwanted goatsitting.

[Neon Forest]

"I think we're just gunna have to disagree," Khannie says as she moves around the mummified spider golem, feeling very uncomfortable looking at it. And a little nauseous. "It's... a super hero thing, right? According to the Comic Code heroes aren't supposed to kill bad guys EVER! It's important."

Their walk will take them back to the central hub of the bunker with only one more path before them.

The one that leads to the site's power plant.

"But... I don't think that robot thing counts as a person. Or even killing. I think they just make like... guts for 'em. Since some of the parts are alive but most of it isn't. Not really."

Destroying robots is clearly okay.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Welmet]

The rooster's beak plants itself in its own burning vomit. The ground rumbles as the mighty creature falls flat on the ground, Hiep and Harriet just barely escaping being trapped under its bulk or wings.

Then it just... lies there, the flames licking the sides of its head. Harriet's last attack provokes no additional response. This lasts for a while. The fire starts to spread under the rooster's body. Smoke starts to rise from between its feathers. The women can hear a sizzle akin to grease falling on hot coals. The stench of burning down fills the air.

Did they get it?
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Junkyard]

Zeeland gives a frustrated grunt when TARBot disappears from his grasp. "Looks like that fucker still had some juice in him."

When the wall of fire is created, Zeeland looks up to see Wenomir jumping over it, and immediately turns to face him when he lands. "We-he-hell, look at you, Super Mario. Stomped any fucking Koopas lately?"

"If that's not a core," Zeeland says, gesturing to the fake TARBot, "what the hell is it supposed to be?" "Either way, as much as I appreciate being saved trouble, you'd have to be tripping on Super Mushrooms to think I'd ever surrender. For one, you don't have a warrant."
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[Dysphotic Swamp] => [Shadowhaven]

Sadly, they don't sell xenon at the gas station. Mostly-plant-based gas, hydrogen, and bottled air were the ones that Seraphina recognized, and there was only one other thing which she didn't recognize. Could possibly be fancy spaceship fuel, but she didn't recognize it: she's never actually ridden in a spaceship.

The bus to Shadowhaven arrives very quickly! Just fifteen minutes and it already arrives! And, since Shadowhaven is fairly large, it gets a proper bus and not a van.
The downside is that, on this out-of-the-way route, the bus doesn't have decent heating *or* cooling.
And the bus already has five occupants when they get on. Two of which are animals. Yes, a regular goat is sitting on a bench. Luckily, since there's so many open seats, there's no need to worry about sitting by the goat. To be honest, if Khannie wants, she could sit on the clear other side of the bus as the goat.

They aren't charged that much.
Actually, Khannie gets a discount, because the bus driver is making the same mistake that the head ranger made.

Seraphina finds a seat next to a window in the middle of the bus, and looks over the map, trying to see if she can find a route to HALO. To be honest, she was seriously considering splitting from Khannie and heading to Shorebeach, probably to prove her one-thirty-second mermaid credentials that Khannie doubted. But after observing Khannie and using the silence to think about it, she figured she might as well just go to Shadowhaven with her at least until they get to the Riftline station. At least Shadowhaven would be a bigger place, anyways, so it'd have more options to getting to HALO.

It's quite a lengthy bus ride.
Well over an hour.
Tiny villages, random roads, and lots of other things pass by. Several different environments. Several people get on the bus.

It's not the most exciting trip. Possibly the most exciting thing is when a kid notices Khannie and gets so excited that there's a real pokemon right here.

Also, as they get close, the bus is pretty packed. The bus driver announces they'll be there in fifteen minutes and suddenly the bus heads into an underground tunnel.

Turns out Shadowhaven is an underground town, complete with underground streams, glowing mushrooms, various cave offshoots, a giant chamber with the town in it, and a huge glowing crystal with water dripping down it into an underground lake.
And Shadowhaven itself is semi-nomadic, with most of the buildings being tent buildings that are scattered around the giant chamber but a large amount of more permanent-looking ones on the other side of the cave. Red-haired elves who don't have shadows are probably the most frequent pedestrian they drive past, but even so they're still in the minority. Other large groups include mushroom people, halflings, and the rocky Gorons, but there's also random other people like drow or dwarves or batpeople that you'd expect to find in this type of environment.
Train tracks are visible, to the very carefully observant with night-vision, along one side of the huge cavern, disappearing into cave tunnels. The road they're driving on goes up by the central lake, though.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Forsaken Cathedral
"Have to do the outside. Need to be able to see what I'm doing." Charcoal will wait for the go-ahead before creating any toxic fumes... Although she's just going to melt the metal of the canister and then solidify it back again, which doesn't seem like it will make too much mess. "Shooting me in the head wouldn't work anyway. Unless it's a silver bullet."

Neon Forest
"Keep moving," Kothar replies brusquely. This conversation can wait until later, but he's not quite ready to give it up yet.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Forsaken Cathedral]

"...All right, then. Just be careful, okay?" Miranda will move a few meters up past her so she's at a safe distance, then let Charcoal do her work. And since Charcoal won't be killed by anything other than a silver bullet (an item she will never have needed before), she's probably still going to need to feed the succubus either way. So there's that to look forward to.

But, at least, once Sapphira's properly sealed, there are not many other obstacles on their way back out of the hole. Other than just time.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Shadowhaven]

Clearly Seraphina should ride on a space-ship so she can learn about what sorts of bottled gasses they use on them. There are space ships at Skyside, right? How much could it possibly cost to go on a space-ship ride, anyway. People do it all the time so it couldn't possibly be THAT much.

Thankfully it doesn't register with Khannie that people are assuming that she's Seraphina's pet pokemon. She's seen a person or two who let their pokemon wander around outside of their ball but it honestly isn't that common. When it comes to the dumb animal pokemon they can get territorial even when they're tamed. There's a reason they randomly pounce on people who are walking past in the tall grass, after all. If Khannie DID realize people were mistaking her for Seraphina's pet she would-!

Well.

Not tell them otherwise.

Because she's still having trouble speaking.

When the kid starts getting all excited about OH MY GOSH A REAL POKEMON Khannie just... bears with it. The kid is probably going to want to touch her and pet her and ask Seraphina all sorts of questions about 'her pokemon' which Seraphina really isn't equipped to answer since Khannie is not, in fact, her pokemon. After about ten minutes of excited child yammering Khannie's magic is finally starting to feel compliant enough that she can weave her human disguise again.

Which is, of course, a thing zoroarks do normally anyway and will do little to curb the aforementioned child enthusiasm.

But anyway!

On to a town! In spite of this being a cave Khannie FINALLY gets some cell reception and sends a message to her dad that she's okay and didn't find the bad guys she was looking for but DID manage to save a lady from getting zombie slimed to death. Khannie tries to make sure that whenever she's going out into the wilderness that at least one person knows where she's going. That's just standard safety stuff after all.

Once again disguised as a regular human girl, Khannie peers out the window at all the passing sights. "Oh cool, it's kinda like Underside. But not as many goblins."

[Neon Forest]

Alright!

Up they go toward the bunker's power plant. Our heroes will find themselves climbing up a long tunnel plated with strange crimson metal and covered in thick, mossy growths. Soon they'll find themselves standing before a dizzily complex looking console with an open space above it where the light from the artificial sun streams down on them. Khannie wrinkles her nose at the controls. There are so many buttons and dials and touch screens and everything is written in that weird language that ALL the stuff here is written in that the Nexus refuses to translate for whatever weird reason.

"I think this is what we're looking for, but I don't see a spot for pulling out a key thingy," Khannie admits as she looks over the control panel for the second time.

But it has to be around SOMEWHERE, right? Aside from the panel itself there's a grading on the floor nearby that looks like it could be removed. Also some sort of hatch over there that's half-way open with cyan light streaming out of it.
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

[Tower of Oujet]
► SHOW SPOILER
"Wait wait wait, one second!" Saint Lazarus nervously shouts, before hurriedly adjusting the touchscreen, trying to get the awful green zombie portal into view, before she gives Anika the thumbs up to push the button. She doesn't know how many times this thing can fire, or even if it actually can fire properly in its current state, so best to focus on the scariest target first. If this turns out okay, then maybe we can obliterate the blood zombies next.

"Okay, I think this is set up right, but if I accidentally blow us up I just want to say sorry for meddling in weird magic stuff I don't understand," Laz preemptively apologizes. On the off-chance Anika isn't so sure about that button after hearing her teammate say that, she goes ahead and presses it herself. THREE, TWO, ONE, FIRE!
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Tower of Oujet]

Anika pushes the HECK outta that button.

A low 'wum!' sound begins pulsing from the tower, gradually building in speed and pitch until it becomes deafening whine moments before a huge beam of raw arcane power EXPLODES from the eye and pierces straight into the disgusting quill zombie portal! The rift convulses and flickers as streams of devastating energy come rushing out of it, snaking through the battle below and blasting ashy holes through the goopy undead. The beam is only firing for maybe two seconds before the portal collapses and the beam with it, but in that time probably eighty five percent of the goop zombies just got friggin' obliterated.

The upside for our heroes here is that most of the quill zombies aren't an issue anymore and are quickly getting overwhelmed by the blood zombies thanks to sheer difference in numbers.

The BAD news is now the blood zombies are clearly winning and flooding toward the tower.

A helpful set of indicators on the touch screen display several important things. First? There's a bar that isn't budging that's about ninety five percent empty. It was about ninety percent empty before. The tower probably only has one shot left. Second? There's a little circle indicator that's sloooooooowly filling up, probably displaying how long it'll be before the tower can fire again.

This is going to be one of those king of the hill holdout sorts of missions, isn't it?

[Clutching Pearls]

Lapis has no idea what tree pearls are for.

She knows they grow in this luminous, iridescent forest. And she knows some people in the nearby village really REALLY need sixteen of them. But she doesn't know WHY they need them. There's a good chance they told her but Lapis really wasn't listening. The trees and flowers and things here are just so pretty! She was so busy being amazed by the plant life here that she didn't catch all the details.

They were to help some people who were sick, she thinks?

Maybe?

And there were some warnings about some things that live in this twilight forest.

But Lapis isn't too worried about that.

No, mostly she's busy entertaining herself while she searches for the pods the pearls grow in.

Like right now?

She found a flower that looks like a great big white calla lily!

And when you touch it-
SCHLOOP!
-it sucks into itself!

Lapis is, of course, touching all of them.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Hog Heaven]

Tsumi laughs. She can't help it. "Well when you put it like that..." She inclines her head with real warmth. "Sure, I'll go play... beat-em-up laser tag with you, lady. Why not."

[Clutching Pearls]

There appears to be a person watching Lapis who wasn't there before, and the set of their stance would seem to indicate calm, perhaps even radiate amusement. They're a very tall, slender person, appearing to lean on a walking stick or stave with some difficulty, wreathed in a great canvas cloak. The forest seems just a little more dense around them, the lights just a little more dim.

And there's the matter of their eyes.

Bright, silvery chrome discs set in the shadows of a bald head, staring with all the eerie uncivility of an enormous cat. The person doesn't seem to be trying to project menace or a bearing of ill intent... but it's hard to help it entirely with eyes like that.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Clutching Pearls]

Lapis is... unassuming. Appearing, as it were, to be an eleven year old half-drow girl with dusky bluish skin and striking yellow freckles. Her black hair is a stark contrast to the lighter shades of most drow and her red eyes shine in the dark. She's wearing the sort of outfit one might expect of a child out for a walk in the woods, along with a little backpack with a big picture of a SHARK! on it. She seems to be unarmed for any practical purpose. Just a little girl wandering the forest alone.

But, given that this is the Nexus, there is more to be seen beyond mere appearance.

The most important thing right now, clearly, is touching the shy flower things. Lapis absolutely loves them. They so silly! And they make a funny noise when you poke them! Though soon she discovers something important. After poking one of the flowers three or four times it stops going SCHLOOP! Maybe because it gets tired? Or maybe because no one has tried to eat it so there must not be any danger. Either way, once the flowers stop reacting to Lapis she turns her attention to other matters.

She's pretty sure she saw a tree pearl pod growing over there and she already has four of them so that will make number five and that's ALMOST a third of the pearls she needs and-

Oh.

There's someone there.

Without really thinking Lapis squints.

Just a little.

She doesn't have to actually squint to focus on a person's vital information, their name, their job, and a few relevant tidbits of pertinent information. But the physical act of doing something physical helps. Motion and shape are very much intrinsic to Lapis. And while she could exert Will alone that really isn't her style.

Who is this person?

Once she knows she'll be able to address them politely, which is very important to Lapis.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Clutching Pearls]

There is something not quite right about this person's name. And their job. And their vital information, at that. If you had the ability to Sense Living, it would be very difficult to tell if this person was alive or dead, hurt or healthy. All such attempts to scan give mixed or outright broken results: unfiltered noise, broken code, scrambled data. This information is [MISSING//NULL_RETURN]. If Lapis focuses very hard, she may be able to tell that whatever akashic-style record she references for this information is trying to feed her multiple results at once, and becoming quite confused in the process. It is as though there were several people all standing there, occupying the same physical and metaphysical space. Whether this static is intentional or it follows this person like a cloud is rather unclear. She could push further. She might be able to break the confusing and discomfiting mess down into bits.

The person steps forward.

He's a very tall man. He's very thin. So frail that you might be able to knock him over if you puffed out your lips and blew in his direction. In fact, if you just added a few mechanical bits and a kindly pair of glinting fae-light eyes, he'd look just like... Like...

Alas, this fellow doesn't have faeish lights for eyes. Those discs of silver and blue-rimmed fire seem to glow all the less brightly in the light, but they also seem far less unkind. He has a gaunt face and a bald Q-ball head. Tattoos cover his bare, pallid flesh in a maze of ink. Long, sharp ears poke up from the sides of his skull. He wears a great, clean, immaculate cloak of deep blue and violet. He leans heavily on a stave of a grim, gorgeous metal that gleams darkly wherever the light touches. It ends in a curling adamant mechanism, like a steel flower waiting to bloom. He wears heavy-looking, dense gauntlets wrought with silver, and gold, and jewels, and things more wondrous still.

"Hello," says the stranger, and he smiles with his weary, patient eyes.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Rebonack wrote: Jan 14, 2023 3:41 pm [Tower of Oujet]

Anika pushes the HECK outta that button.

A low 'wum!' sound begins pulsing from the tower, gradually building in speed and pitch until it becomes deafening whine moments before a huge beam of raw arcane power EXPLODES from the eye and pierces straight into the disgusting quill zombie portal! The rift convulses and flickers as streams of devastating energy come rushing out of it, snaking through the battle below and blasting ashy holes through the goopy undead. The beam is only firing for maybe two seconds before the portal collapses and the beam with it, but in that time probably eighty five percent of the goop zombies just got friggin' obliterated.

The upside for our heroes here is that most of the quill zombies aren't an issue anymore and are quickly getting overwhelmed by the blood zombies thanks to sheer difference in numbers.

The BAD news is now the blood zombies are clearly winning and flooding toward the tower.

A helpful set of indicators on the touch screen display several important things. First? There's a bar that isn't budging that's about ninety five percent empty. It was about ninety percent empty before. The tower probably only has one shot left. Second? There's a little circle indicator that's sloooooooowly filling up, probably displaying how long it'll be before the tower can fire again.

This is going to be one of those king of the hill holdout sorts of missions, isn't it?
Magtok wrote: Jan 14, 2023 10:17 am [Tower of Oujet]

"Wait wait wait, one second!" Saint Lazarus nervously shouts, before hurriedly adjusting the touchscreen, trying to get the awful green zombie portal into view, before she gives Anika the thumbs up to push the button. She doesn't know how many times this thing can fire, or even if it actually can fire properly in its current state, so best to focus on the scariest target first. If this turns out okay, then maybe we can obliterate the blood zombies next.

"Okay, I think this is set up right, but if I accidentally blow us up I just want to say sorry for meddling in weird magic stuff I don't understand," Laz preemptively apologizes. On the off-chance Anika isn't so sure about that button after hearing her teammate say that, she goes ahead and presses it herself. THREE, TWO, ONE, FIRE!
Murkus wrote: Jan 14, 2023 4:43 pm [Hog Heaven]

Tsumi laughs. She can't help it. "Well when you put it like that..." She inclines her head with real warmth. "Sure, I'll go play... beat-em-up laser tag with you, lady. Why not."
[Hog Heaven]

[Tower of Oujet]

Anika waits, more than a few seconds really. Just watching Laz go about pressing buttons that weren't big or red.
The buttons were kind of how spell works. But instead of gestures and words it was buttons. A loooot of buttons.

Then finally-

As soon as Laz gives the signal she presses the actually important button hard without any hesitation. No way it couldn't work after so many other being pressed. That would just be impractical!

She gets a view of the undead being blasted to pieces in a way that reminded her of something she did long ago involving pylons. There really was few things that could beat watching swarms of undead being zapped by a giant ancient artifact the druid thinks to herself as she watches the carnage with utter fascination.

But then it was suddenly all over and there were still undead there. Damn, she had thought that was it!
She looks at Laz questioningly as she was the goblin magic expert of the too. She isn't even paying attention to the display, just trusting her completely on this. "So... should I press it again or do you need to press more buttons first?"

[Hog Heaven]

Dena gives her a grin in return. "Then you're welcome to join us the next weekend then." Since even if she hadn't even asked the others yet she would make sure they would go along. "You're going to be something of a surprise guest so try to use that to your advantage." She adds with a wink.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Junkyard]

Mia is close to facepalm as she hears the leader reveal their trick. Wasn't that a little bit to early to reveal?
She is not sure what the leader has in plan so she won't do much especially since the fake one is already exposed.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Clutching Pearls]

Lapis has encountered a few distressing things like this before.

The aetherial amalgamation, for one. That's maybe the closest. To many things in one thing all mushed together. Magic that manipulates souls. Souls aren't a thing Lapis really understands. They don't make much sense to her. Why does someone need such a thing if they're already alive? But they're apparently important to mortals even if she doesn't know why.

Too often they're hooks for gross magic to latch onto.

Some of the stronger fae can be like this, too. Full of stolen Names. Their trickery can baffle even Lapis senses and she thinks, maybe, one of them might be able to do what this creature is doing.

Thankfully Lapis can tell that this isn't a demon; a walking wound in reality.

Those are the final thing that return gibberish like this when the Game is quarried about them.

None of these options strike her as good.

But!

Mother has always told Lapis that there are many unusual people in the Nexus and to never assume they're bad unless they're doing bad things. Empyreans are bound, in sense, so long as they remain in the Empyrean. But here within the Game they can be whatever they wish.

And so they should wish to be kind.

So Lapis will be kind to this strange, gaunt fellow who reminds her just a little bit of Mister Sticks. But he's missing things. And full of other things. Very strange.

"Hello I'm Lapislazuli and I'm looking for tree pearls I think there's people in Lulzparthing that's sick and they need tree pearls to make them better?" Lapis says.

That explanation feels right to her, even though she wasn't paying much attention when they were explaining what the tree pearls were for. When the Light of Truth burns on your tongue the truth find its way to your words more often than not.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Neon Forest
The hatch looks like the best bet. Kothar approaches and slowly opens it all the way to check what lies behind, hopefully without alerting anything within to his presence.

Forsaken Cathedral
Time passes. Digging continues. Charcoal looks increasingly gaunt and pallid.
Finally, she approaches Miranda. "It's time. I don't think I can wait much longer." There is an intense hunger in her eyes.
There will be more cost to going through with this than just the wasted time, is Miranda sure she wants to?
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Forsaken Cathedral]

Of course there's going to be more cost than just time. It's likely going to be humiliating for Miranda. She'll probably be a little grossed out afterwards. Not to mention, the tunnel isn't exactly the cleanest, safest, or most comfortable place for this sort of thing.

But she decided a long time ago that she was willing to endure a lot of punishment if it meant saving innocent lives. And while this possibility wasn't exactly on the the table at the time, it's still something she's willing to suffer through for the greater good.

...In spirit, at least.

It will quickly become apparent to Charcoal that Miranda has no experience in this aspect of succubushood whatsoever. By some minor miracle, it seems the subject just never came up. And she is... not learning very quickly.

But she'll quickly mentally remove herself from the situation, occupying herself with the image of beating the senses out of Sapphira for putting her and Charcoal in this situation in the first place.

Damn that woman.

...Although it looks as though Fate might have beat her to that.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Forsaken Cathedral
Yeah, Sapphira's already pretty damned.

The curtain falls, and some time later rises again. Despite Miranda's reluctance and inexperience, Charcoal is quite skilled.
Whether or not the agent enjoys herself, she'll come out of the experience feeling drained, but not entirely. There's the little matter of the little bit of succubus magic she gained not too long ago - that part of her comes out slightly strengthened. There's a chance it might even be strong enough to exert some further changes to Miranda's body - a higher chance if she did end up enjoying herself. If this does happen, it might not be so straightforward as further "augmentation" to her figure. She might gain some other succubus-like trait, maybe fangs, or claws, or an unusual eye or hair color. Or, maybe, especially if her attempts at distancing herself from the situation mentally hold, she gets off unscathed. No matter what, she won't be getting back to work too soon, she needs to rest.

Charcoal, on the other hand, seems back to her usual self, and sets back to work on the digging almost immediately.
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

[Tower of Oujet]
Anika wrote: Jan 16, 2023 7:27 am"So... should I press it again or do you need to press more buttons first?"
"When that circle there," Saint Lazarus points to the part of the display telling her the next death ray beam isn't ready yet, "-is full, I want you to press the button." In the meantime, she quickly shifts the targeting reticle around, putting the blood zombie portal into view. No reason not to, right? That way we won't have to worry about it in the middle of a zombie attack, or when the weapon is charged and Anika is itching for a chance to smash that big red button.

"But I think that might be a while, and the blood zombies are going to be swarming up towards us in the meantime," she points out, inwardly very giddy and excited about how well things have been going all of a sudden, even as she grips her zweihander tight and prepares for the final wave of ghoulish ghasts and ghastly ghouls. Victory is within their grasp, half the zombies have been cut off from reinforcements, and she didn't do something stupid and waste one of the only two death ray blasts they had! Her original goal with bringing Anika along, that of collecting intel on Blanche, well...that turned out to be a bad idea super early, but at least they'll be going home as successful heroes who saved the day and the weird Oujet gem thing!
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Forsaken Cathedral]

The experience certainly won't map prettily. Miranda can hardly be blamed for her actions; her motives for helping Charcoal are pure, even more so once Sapphira's influence is cut off, which leaves little room for corruption to take hold in that regard.

But with what's going on in her head all throughout the experience, there's plenty of room for unholy magics to expand throughout her being. When Charcoal finally pulls away, she's going to find herself greeted by... well, Miranda. Physically, there doesn't seem to be anything different about her at all. Auburn hair, check. Dusky skin tone, check. Athletic build, check and check again. Brown eyes and gentle, loving haze?

Well... half-check.

Charcoal's probably used to people staring at her. Especially if she isn't wearing any clothes and just got through sleeping with them. But something about the way Miranda's looking at her is... different. And she never seems to stop staring at Charcoal, even when the succubus can look at her and confirm that she is, in fact, doing something else entirely.

And when she does catch Miranda looking at her? It's not with admiration, or affection, or even lust, as the succubus might expect. It's the harsh, harrowing gaze of someone watching for her to mess up, who already hates her for being and is just looking for an excuse to act on it.

Miranda won't be denying that fact, either. When she feels rested enough to begin tunneling again, she'll wordlessly take the chisel and point back at the rest spot, ordering her companion to tske a break while she kept tunneling them to freedom. And when they trade off again, she'll be absorbed in fixing herself simple meals or getting a proper night's rest, and won't be one for conversation.

These next few days are likely going to be miserable.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,