Outside: Grass touch place

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Riverside Moonwell]

"They looked evil though." Anika points out. "But, uh, yeah! This is in fact one of my people's sacred wells that have somehow ended up here. So I've taken it upon myself to guard them." She nods as she glances back at the well only to then look back at Hiep.

"But hey, who told you what? Since that sounds super-vague."

Tags:
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Riverside Moonwell]

"They were bad news alright, but there's lots of bad out there that aren't demons." Hiep raises her finger. "Now that's a long story. One I'm not sure how to explain. I work for the Bureau of Destiny. We make sure things happen... you know, properly. And we have people trying to find out what's going to happen using astrology. They told me this place is important and something would happen here. Pretty vague. Nothing about hot warrior-women who turn into bears or... whatever those are. I think they might be the kind of nasty that elude astrology."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Riverside Moonwell]

"So how are you so sure they weren't demons, huh?" Anika counters before Hiep raises her finger and starts explaining.

It was said in more words than she had been expecting but there were a few things in there that drew her attention. "Astro- like stars and shit? My sister is into that but you're saying the starts like, tell you stuff?" She was pretty sure stars couldn't talk. Or write for that matter.
"Also, I'm a druid not a warrior." The kal'dorei adds with a toothy grin, her remarkably sharp canines giving her a rather feral impression. "Could never wrap my head around swords and stuff."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Riverside Moonwell]

"I guess I can't be sure," Hiep concedes. "Maybe if I describe them to someone, they'll figure it out. Or if I meet them again." She shrugs. "The stars don't say anything. But looking into them lets us see what will happen. The loom of Fate. It's complicated. I leave the nitty-gritty to smarter people." She then looks Anika up and down. "And sure, then. Druid. I must have been confused by those biceps."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Riverside Moonwell]

"They might be back, demons are relentless y'know?" She tap her chin. "Which I guess doesn't explain why they ran away."
But she doesn't spend too much time considering this oddity as there are more pressing matters. Like her own arms. "Oh, biceps? I keep forgetting what these are called since that's warrior stuff." She chuckles and then turns to the well. "Say, since you came to this well specifically maybe you're meant to... use it or something?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Riverside Moonwell]

"They sounded like cultists to me. All pompous and fanatical. Seen their kind more than once." Hiep scratches her head. "Maybe? My colleagues didn't mention anything about that. It's more likely I was supposed to keep those creeps from it. But what is it, anyway? And what does it to?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Riverside Moonwell]

"Oh, like demon cultists? That's possible." She really got a one-track mind, doesn't she?
"But, uh, it's like a storage of powerful magic energy. Like a... well. Of magic."
She pauses as she tries to get her thoughts straight. "...anyway, that's why these demons and crazies try to get their hands on it. To use its magic to fuel their evil schemes."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Riverside Moonwell]

She's really not willing to let go of its being demons, huh. Must be a grudge.

"Right, makes sense. I've seen a bunch of those. Can I take a closer look? Maybe I do need to do something with it. If nothing else I can report back and we can try another prophecy with more details."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Riverside Moonwell]

"Sure, knock yourself out." Anika gestures for her to follow and then walks back up to the moon well.
"Now, I can't use any of this magic myself but maybe its of some use for you?" She remarks while gesturing at the glowing water that fills the well. "I dunno, I don't know anything how fate-waving works. I know how normal weaving works but I'm pretty sure that's different, right?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Riverside Moonwell]

Hiep goes up to the well, crouches down next to it and runs her hand through the water. Right, this is just like a demesne. A Water-aspected one, maybe? Much stronger than the one she lives in sometimes. She takes a handful of water and splashes it on her face, to see how it feels.

"To tell you the truth, a lot more boring than you'd expect. We peer into everything that could happen and then we pick what should happen. After various gods and us Sidereals spend hours or days arguing about it. I avoid if it I can. I'd rather be out here doing what needs doing."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Hunting Lodge
Sekhmet realizes something. Her original request doesn't seem like it would go over well. If Feathers is offering to help her grow, then abdicating her responsibility would be a poor response.
"I have, uh, cultists who insist on honoring me in ways I, uh, find unpleasant." She's selling it short for the sake of politeness.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Apr 04, 2023 11:11 pm [Riverside Moonwell]

Hiep goes up to the well, crouches down next to it and runs her hand through the water. Right, this is just like a demesne. A Water-aspected one, maybe? Much stronger than the one she lives in sometimes. She takes a handful of water and splashes it on her face, to see how it feels.

"To tell you the truth, a lot more boring than you'd expect. We peer into everything that could happen and then we pick what should happen. After various gods and us Sidereals spend hours or days arguing about it. I avoid if it I can. I'd rather be out here doing what needs doing."
[Riverside Moonwell]

As Hiep splashes it into her face it feels like more than just water. In fact it might remind her of drinking coffee or taking certain kinds of drugs as she suddenly feels refreshed and full of energy. It just doesn't have that euphoric sensation that most people taking drugs look for.
But she's getting all that by just splashing her face with it with means it has to be pretty potent even if the feeling doesn't last more than a few seconds.

Anika considers Hiep's explanation for a moment and gives her a suspicious glance. "...are you some kind of watcher or, uh, cop? Since I don't know about all those other words but that sounds a bit like what they do."
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Apr 05, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Hunting Lodge]

"Zhelshu implied as much... but didn't go into specifics." Silent Feathers' bright eyes peer into Sekhmet. They have seen much, including no doubt people with troubles like hers. "And do you believe that they would feel more at home with me?"

[Riverside Moonwell]

Hiep gasps. Not many things surprise her, but the water managed to.

"Wow. This is strong stuff. Never seen anything like it. What do your people do with this, normally?" Then, however, Anika asks her own questions. "I mean, I guess? The official term is Sidereal Exalted. Chosen to safeguard fate. I've never really compared myself to mortal authorities."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Hunting Lodge
"Maybe. I, uh, just don't know how to deal with them." She doesn't have to pass them off to Feathers if she can learn how to deal with unruly cultists.
She clearly lacks the confidence necessary to lead those who won't follow easily.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Riverside Moonwell]

"Nothing, ideally. Besides protecting it of course. Sometimes we must use it for healing and stuff though. Y'know, when we really need that extra juice." Anika explains as she watches Hiep's reaction to the well-water with an amused expression.

"'Mortal' authorities, huh? So you're like the demigod police? Since I mean, if its actually fate why would it need safeguarding? Isn't fate just something that's supposed to happen, no matter what? Like, I'm sure you put a lot of work into it, but once you learn that people are making it happen it doesn't really feel like fate anymore."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Hunting Lodge]

"But if you simply tell them to go, they might find themselves with someone who will encourage them to do evil." Did Hiep tell him that, or did he simply guess? It seems it might be the latter, since Hiep evidently avoided getting into specifics. But the old fey seems perceptive indeed. "The same may happen if you simply order them to stop doing what you find objectionable. And so, finding someone who can channel their desires into less macabre ends is tempting."

[Riverside Moonwell]

"I get it, I guess. Don't want to use them up. I'd be tempted to take a swim in it now and then, though." Hiep shrugs. "Anyway, I can't tell you why it works, I only know how it works. Fate is like a machine that has to be maintained or it will grind to a halt."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Riverside Moonwell]

"Oh, we all swim around in them on the occasion." Anika grins and then winks. "Just don't tell any of the elders that." Especially not her mom.
"Why? You wanna dip? Since you totally can." The druid gestures at the water. "It's kind like one of those, uh, warm springs. Really good." She nods.

"Okay, but what happens if fate 'halts'? Does time stop or something?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Riverside Moonwell]

"Hot damn, nice. Why can't more of my assignments involve hot women and hot springs?" Hiep wastes no time in taking her shirt off. It seems she's wearing a binding around her chest underneath. "It doesn't literally stop. But when destinies don't come to pass, things get messy. Disasters happen, people die. Or worse, reality breaks down in places."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Hunting Lodge
He gets it. Sekhmet is a little surprised to not need to explain further. "Uh, yes." Of course the way he talks about it being tempting seems to imply something."Unless there's another option?"
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

Shadowcaller wrote: Apr 03, 2023 3:35 pm [Well Training]

Once Emily returns to the shrine she will find Ambrosia and Thariza sitting on a blanket just underneath the roof of the shrine.
The scholar is meditating though as Emily approaches she opens one eye and smiles. "How did it go?"

Considering Emily's muddy clothes and the time it took, that should be obvious. So the question seems either ironic or rhetorical.
Morty wrote: Apr 03, 2023 4:19 pm[Well Training]

Thariza is intently whittling a piece of wood with a carving knife and lets Ambrosia ask the questions.
[Well Training]

"It was somewhat wetter than anticipated. A couple hitches, but nothing I couldn't deal with, given a little time," she moves over to the blanket, and chooses to sit beside it rather than on it. Don't want to get mud all over a nice thing like this. She does put the bucket down on the blanket, though, "Well water. As requested."
Morty wrote: Apr 03, 2023 4:19 pm [A Little Town]

"How closely do the machines keep track of you?" Calm Reed asks after a moment's consideration. "If I covered myself up, I could pretend to be one of you for a time. Hide out in any secure places of your town and wait until the right time to strike."
[A Little Town]

"They're largely tracking us visually, I think from cameras they've placed around. I can put an illusion up to make you seem like someone else, I suppose," Henrietta considers, "I don't know for sure how effective it'll be."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

"I can see that." Ambrosia remark, her smile becoming all the more mysterious. "We had the fortune of nearby cover, thankfully." She gestures at the roof of the shrine which they're sitting under. "Don't worry about the time it took though. You did very well."

The scholar then points out the kettle that's in front of them. "But why don't you pour the water into that so we can start making some tea?" Her eyebrows raise. "Are you perhaps familiar with the practice?"
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

"Sure," Emily says, clearly expecting something more to be a part of this. She'll pour the water as bid, "I know there's tea ceremonies, but I've got no idea how to do that sort of thing."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

"It's quite simple. But first we need to make a fire of course. Both to boil the tea and to warm you up a bit. Looks like you need it after all your endeavors." The scholar stands up and gestures for her companion. "Would you be so kind to start up the fire, Thariza?"
It does look like the charr had managed to gather some dry wood before the storm came upon them. Part of what she was whittling with as Emily returned.

"So what do you figure is the purpose of a tea ceremony, Emily?" Ambrosia asks her as the fire gets started.

[Riverside Moonwell]

Anika, not wanting to be a stranger, starts to undress as well.
Unlike the Sidereal she's wearing a bra though it looks like her binding it was made for practicality rather than looks. It's probably more comfortable though.

"Don't stuff like that happen anyway though? Well, apart from the whole reality-breaking-thing." Anika points out. "Since where I'm there doesn't seem to be any people like you and-" She pauses.

"-well, I suppose we got disasters happening like all the time. Never heard about reality breaking apart though. I mean, not on its own at least. Usually you need some crazy mage or demon for that to happen."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Well Training]

"That makes two of us. Charr don't really have the patience to make tea. It's either water or booze." Thariza puts aside her carving, which looks to be a scorpion-like creature, and starts making a fire. "But it's like humans say. When in Orr, do as Orrians to. It's a bit outdated, mind you."

[A Little Town]

"If I busied myself with everyday tasks and looked like I am doing my job, it is possible the machines would not look closely, so your illusion might hold up." Calm Reed closes her eyes in thought. "It is unlikely they see you as a threat."

[Riverside Moonwell]

It's not long before Hiep is completely nude and her clothes are folded near the well. Her sandals, while seemingly ordinary, have an odd gleam to them. She dips her foot in the water experimentally, while looking back at Anika with a very clear appreciation.

"Yeah, I don't know how it woks here either. The Nexus doesn't seem to bear much thinking about. But, well... a disaster you predicted is better than one you didn't right? Now that I think about it, I haven't introduced myself yet. Name's Hiep."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

Emily lets out a relieved breath at the mention of a warm fire, and looks thankfully towards Thariza, but doesn't whine or complain. Rather, she responds to Ambrosia's question, "Depends what you're asking about. Societal, economic, or personal?"

[A Little Town]

"They certainly don't," Henrietta agrees as she looks over Calm Reed for a moment in consideration, "Aye. You'd be willing to take my place for a short while, then?" her lips split in an amused smile, "I'll have to get you to do some of my chores to sell the bluff."

She's absolutely looking to take advantage of this. A bit selfish, but far from the worst thing Calm Reed has ever seen.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

That question makes Ambrosia smile again. "Whatever aspect you considered to be the most important. I doubt I can remember all the details myself and I've performed it many times."
She looks to Thariza. "Perhaps you can tell Emily the answer you gave me when I asked you the same question?" Since it certainly hadn't been the first time the two had drunk tea together.

[Riverside Moonwell]

"Oh, so you like, go out to prevent disasters too? That's cool." As soon as Hiep starts to fully undress Anika takes that as a signal to do the same. Usually people kept some clothes on, at least if they had just met. But she wasn't opposed to this. She wasn't opposed at all.

Unlike Hiep she just steps into the well once she's out of her clothes however. Her contact with the potent water simply causing her to take a deep and long breath as her body visibly shudders at the sensation. Hiep might have a more dramatic reaction however as this would be her first time. For context, Anika first time in a moon well was as a child and she had semi-regularly used them through her life whenever she got the opportunity to.

"But wait, didn't you say you make sure fates come to pass? Doesn't that mean all the, uh, bad fate too?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Well Training]

Thariza tries to recall her words as she busies herself with the fire. Ambrosia sure likes to ask those questions.

"First I thought it's to make sure you do it right. You're making tea, not hot leaf juice. Then I thought it might be to make sure you take your time, so you get the chance to talk to the other person and think."

[A Little Town]

Calm Reed quirks an eyebrow. Henrietta is rather transparent, but there's nothing else to be done. And a monk has to endure such jabs stoically.

"I will perform your duties with utmost efficiency," she simply says.

[Riverside Moonwell]

"Well, it's- oooh, shit." Hiep's answer, and her ogling of Anika, are both interrupted as she slips into the water. The raw vital power of the moonwell courses through her Exalted senses like wildfire. She leans back and actually glows slightly - a golden light around her contours and in her eyes. "And your people have always had this? Color me jealous."

[Hunting Lodge]

"In the short term, it's probably the best course of action. But this will happen again and you won't be able to rely on others every time." Silent Feathers' wings spread out as he stretches. "People will try to worship you. It's the nature of things. You will need to create your own creed that people will want to follow and that reflects your beliefs about what is right. I am willing to accept any of your followers who are willing to buy you time to do it. I have never had human followers before, but... even someone as old as me can try something new."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

"If socialization was the reason, it wouldn't be a ceremony," Emily argues with Thariza's answer, "The other parts feel right, but in that case, you could just walk away, let the tea heat and the leaves steep. I contend that tea ceremonies, as I understand them, are actually two things; meditation, and oppression," she starts pulling the strike plates off of her shins so that they can be cleaned. Leaving them next to the fire will help to bake the mud, which should help it flake off and come off in bunches in water later.

"The meditation part is fairly obvious. That's basically the entire point of ritual actions; it's to get you into a specific mindset, a flow of mental control and focus for what's in front of you. That's why there's individual tea ceremonies, and the country of Japan in my homeworld loved them throughout the ages following the Sengoku Jidai - that being the Warring States Period. They had an ideal of warriors as poets and philosophers that could also protect themselves and those around them, and meditations on the self, the world, and what you do was part of that."

"The trick, of course, is that the only people taught tea ceremonies were old retired masters and nobility. A farmer's never going to have a use for it, even if they appreciate a good tea, because they never have to impress someone with how skilled they are at social etiquette. It's like how nobility have often learned how to speak a large number of languages, or have unusual skill sets - it's not because they're smarter than the farmer they consider themselves above, it's because they have the time and money to work on those skills in a way the farmer doesn't. The farmer has to worry about his cow's pregnancy, whether the beetles are going to eat his orchard, and protecting the new crop from people who'd steal it. The noble delegates, and thus has an immense amount of free time."

"Which, of course, means that when a noble meets a peasant, the noble can mock him for being so uneducated, so clearly and woefully lacking in social etiquette, because he hasn't spent ten hours a week since he was five years old learning how to do a perfect ceremony that has relatively little practical value. All the while ignoring that he couldn't help a calving cow, or dig up a potato, or break a horse, or identify what dangerous plants are in the area."

Ambrosia and Thariza may get the feeling that Emily very much doesn't like ignorant folk who consider themselves better than other people, nobility included.

[A Little Town]

"Get comfortable, then. The ritual for the illusion is going to take about an hour," the old woman mutters, before taking a ruby amulet off of her neck to carry over to a ritual circle nearby in the same room.

Calm Reed will have a little time while she's working. Is there anything she wants to do in the meantime, or will she simply wait?
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

Ambrosia would have had to suppress a sigh once Emily started to do exactly what she had feared, going into something of a lecture of an answer. But her initial premise, that she linked it to oppression, had made her curious. Not that she had planned to stop or reprimand Emily regardless of how long her answer would be, it was just that she would have been just as satisfied with a shorter one.

The more Emily spoke though the more she reminded her of her father strangely enough. Since he had a rant about just every subject as ignorance, he unnecessarily always reminded her, simply wasn't permitted.
Like Emily often also spoke about the dangers of 'brainrot' which he considered a symptom of any kind of privilege. Something she eventually had realized was a rather strange notion coming from someone many considered to be a 'god'.

"You're talking about cultural capital." Ambrosia summarizes once Emily seems to be finished. "I don't know anything about the context you're using but I know the concept well enough. It's part of how people organize themselves into different groups. It's not only done across class but within professions and hobbies too. Part of what is referred to as 'gate-keeping'. Making sure that there are no 'outsiders' in the in-group by making up arbitrary requirements to join in."

She can't help but to softly chuckle once she said all this. "I find that a bit funny as it's almost the opposite of the lesson that my master had when he asked me the same question. Since as Thariza can tell you-" The scholar gestures at the charr who she was afraid would feel alienated in this discussion. Perhaps she had a comment regarding all this?

"-while there are many different kinds of teas they're all made from the same leaves. They're just prepared in different ways. My former master saw this as an analogue for how all people, regardless of their background, are ultimately the same." A beat.
"And that they all taste terrible." She smiles. "But that leans more into your analysis since he wasn't really a tea person. He just prepared and drank it since it was simply something he was expected to do." She gestures to Emily, now giving her the word.

[Riverside Moonwell]

Hiep's reaction makes Anika laugh, she had seen it before so she wasn't worried. "Yep. But we're not supposed to bath in it. Not really. Might tempt people to start using it and well, the elders have very strong opinions on that."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Well Training]

Thariza shrugs.

"Back home, this kind of thing would be dismissed as human nonsense. I try not to do that now, of course. But it's like... Charr society is organized around military rank. Ceremonies and politeness are treated as a waste of time."

[Riverside Moonwell]

"Hah. Elders. Always out to ruin our fun, aren't they?" Hiep grins. "Good to see you're more open about it. Invite people to one of those often? Hot guys and gals?"