Outside: Grass touch place

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by bc56 »

Hunting Lodge
Sekhmet passes quickly through the village, having observed life there and not found anything objectionable. She climbs up the path to the sanctum; it feels disrespectful to fly right now.
Time to find out more about this "Silent Feathers" person.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!

Tags:
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Hunting Lodge]

The winding path leads up the cliff, until it reaches a small plateau. The river pools here, flowing slowly and widely, before continuing on its way downhill. In the center of the plateau, standing amidst the water, is a shrine or gazebo of some kind. A path of stepping stones leads to it, but it seems its occupant has come out to meet her.

The figure before her is a towering one, easily two metres in height, and muscular, bringing to mind classical sculptures. His skin is bronze, quite literally - like gleaming, burnished metal. Aside from a pair of muscular arms, two feathery wings are folded behind his back and his legs end in talons. His head is elongated, avian and draconic at the same time. A crest of feathers adorns it. Perhaps surprisingly, he's wearing a toga that covers most of his chest and reaches down to his backwards-bending knees.

"Welcome. My name is Silent Feathers Drifting and you must be Sekhmet." His voice rings loud and has a curious reverb to it, as well as a bird-like quality. "A meeting I did not expect, but a potentially fruitful one."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Hunting Lodge
"Yes, that's me," Sekhmet gives a respectful curtsy. "I wanted to ask you about yourself and what virtues you believe in." She wants to get straight to the point.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Hunting Lodge]

"Very well. Let us sit down inside." Silent Feathers Drifting turns to lead the way into the shrine. which turns out to be a dimly-lit space laid with cushions and rugs. An inner sanctum that few mortals visit. The fey sits down on one end of the space. "The first thing you should know is that I am old. I remember a world that was much different than now. I served a cruel king and fought in his wars. Here and now, I believe in... life, you could say. I help my followers live to the fullest and follow their passions. Be it hunting, love-making or the arts. I left grand ambitions far behind me."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Riverside Moonwell]

Some distance away from the relatively small city of Riverside a strange stone well has appeared at some point. Unlike a traditional well it's as big as a small pool and is surrounded by carved stones as well as wooden archways. Not that it needs such decorations to seem significant as its water glows a silvery green. Clearly marking it as magical in nature.

Whenever it actually appeared its only until now it has gained some significant attention. Since a group of strange beings have started to gather nearby. All covered in marble colored carapace-like plating which at first glance seems mechanical in nature. Yet the bloody flesh-like substance underneath which is seems to be trying to protect might might make an observer second-guess.

Most of them seem humanoid to varying degree. Some simply looking like they're wearing strange armor while others have their faces covered in symmetrical plates that makes them resemble insects. Something which is further suggested by how some have four, even six, arms which sometimes end in just spikes or pincers rather than hands. Those that have hands, or at least appendages they can carry things with, are all carrying what could be either scientific devices or religious relics. Their ornate and eldritch shapes make them appear symbolic yet they all seem to have some kind of practical use too.

These beings moves in a procession towards the well. All moving at the same speed as their movements seemingly in perfect sync with one another.
This ceremony is being watched over by a group of these creatures who seem to act as guards the way they aren't just staring at the well but the surrounding area.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Riverside Moonwell]

Hiep, the Chosen of Journeys, received a tip that something would happen here. This is a place of power, and there have been signs something important will go down here. After leaving her deer closer to the city and approaching, Hiep can see that the signs were (for once) correct.

She's not being stealthy so the guarding creatures will likely notice her. So far she doesn't have enough to go on before acting. But she plans to simply ask what they're doing here.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Riverside Moonwell]

The closest guards turn in her direction. Staring at her with a strong intensity behind their eyes. At least those that still have visible eyes. Some have their faces covered by porcelain-like masks which eyes are covered in what looks like soot.
But their attention is soon diverted by the sound of movement from the branches above them.
Since through the trees glides an enormous red falcon with a wingspan which makes it somewhat difficult for it to navigate in-between the trees.
However, it's sheer size causes it to simply push away the branches which are getting in its way as it's diving straight towards the procession.

Neither the guards nor the participants of the ceremony really has any time to react when flying nearly straight into a tree causes the giant bird to loose its aerial balance. It starts what best can be described as a tail-spin as the momentum is has built up just makes it keep going.

Then just as its about to fly straight into the procession its enveloped by a green glowing smoke and in the next moment the ceremony is interrupted by a tail-spinning bear.

The beings fly in all directions as if they were bowling pins being struck down by a out of control bear-shaped bowling ball.

After that the guards will have forgotten all about Hiep without the fates even having to intervene.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Riverside Moonwell]

Shiiit. Is this a Lunar? Are there any Lunars here? Is the Lunar what the prophecy warned about, or the things they're knocking flat? Or maybe both? Hiep comes running towards the altercation, since whatever happens she needs to be present. Otherwise she'll never hear the end of it.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Hunting Lodge
Sekhmet takes a seat on a cushion across from Silent Feathers. "That's all right, I guess. But no higher purpose? Just passion?" It's clear she doesn't entirely approve.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Hunting Lodge]

Silent Feathers Drifting regards Sekhmet for a moment. He seems more curious than anything else. He's seen, heard and done much but this is somewhat novel even for him.

"No, not anymore. I've seen many higher purposes over millennia. I've grown weary of them. I don't want to treat mortals like pawns on a board, pushing them to what I think they should do. I want to help them live their own lives fully, for as long as they last."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Riverside Moonwell]

So is every guard in the area.

A normal bear would probably have died of that but its quite clear this isn't one so it probably isn't a surprise when it starts getting up.
It does look kinda out of it though as it starts stumbling around.
But as one of the guards reach it the bear suddenly unleashes what seems to be a breath weapon on them.

No wait, that was just the bear throwing up.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Riverside Moonwell]

Hiep will, without ceremony, run up to the nearest guard, grab them by any convenient appendage and ask:

"Oi. What are you doing here and why are you being attacked by a shapeshifting bear?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Hunting Lodge
"So..." Sekhmet sounds genuinely disappointed, "You don't think there's any purpose to life besides 'living fully?' What do you mean by that?" She's a person with a very strong sense of purpose, and living aimlessly seems like an empty existence to her.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Riverside Moonwell]

The guard gives her a glare and simply attempts to push her away so they can go about their duty.
Hiep will as she touch the guard get what can be best described as a strange vibe. Since there's a hollowness to them that she likely not have felt before. It's as if they were walking around without a head or some other essential piece that should be there for them to function.
It has been replaced by something else. A part that isn't them or whatever made them them.

She can hear as shrill voice call out over all the alarm however.
"PHYREXIANS! Defend your liege!"

It looks like the guards have attempted to surround the bear but they're not having much luck hurting at it. Since even in its dazed state its stumbling movements are enough to knock them to the ground.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Junkyard]

The trick appears to work. Zeeland seems to have (purposely or otherwise) figured out a decent counter to Wenomir's abilties. Wenomir steps back as the copy explodes under his blade, swinging his sword in a wide arc that disperses the explosion around him. Not entirely, of course. He's still pushed back and loses his momentum.

However, Zeeland is still doing more or less what they want him to do, missteps aside. They just have to keep the charade long enough that he escapes with the double.

[Riverside Moonwell]

These guys give Hiep a bad vibe and she tends to follow her vibes. Or fate, as the case may be. Or both. Besides, something the others told her before clicks now. Their predictions indicated strife and danger, but couldn't pinpoint who would be involved. Which means these things must be enemies of Fate. And she knows what to do with those!

The Sidereal holds onto the guard and headbutts him with enough force to crack armor. This should also crack her head open but obviously doesn't. If this succeeds in staggering it, she'll try to push it towards the others, trying to bowl them over.

[Hunting Lodge]

"There are as many purposes as there are people. Everyone can and should find their own. Including those who follow me. I simply choose what I help them with and expect of them. I wish to dictate nothing." A thoughtful rumble plays in Silent Feathers' throat. "What do you think life's purpose is?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Riverside Moonwell]

This particular guard has their face covered by a marble mask. But it doesn't do nearly enough to protect them from Hiep's exalted headbutt. They emit a groan and are about to crumble to the ground like a sack of potatoes when they're instead thrown right into the backs of two other guards who instantly fall over.
The rest of the guards are disorganized and confused as it's no longer clear just how many enemies they're fighting.

But once more the shrill voice cries to. "Rally to me! To me!"

Now Hiep can see the source. Like the others they're covered in white carapace but they're significantly smaller. Barely 3 feet tall (not even a meter!) with a slightly hunched over gait. Almost like a ape. In addition, they have a big red conical hat strapped onto their head.

As this little creature jumps and wave their hands the guards who still can gather around them alongside the still standing procession. "Fear not! Heathens are what they are! They will soon be made to see the light!" It shouts, turned to address their followers.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Riverside Moonwell]

Well, what a... small creature. Looks kind of comical, really. Hiep grabs a large rock that she was certain would be there and flings it at the apparent leader, the rock gleaming yellow as it flies. The goal is to bonk it over the head before the guards gather around it.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Hunting Lodge
"Then... They don't really follow you at all, do they?" If they do their own things and Feathers just chooses to interfere or not, that's hardly following. "Living for yourself isn't enough. Life should be about helping others. Especially those who can't help themselves."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Riverside Moonwell]

The rock strikes the creature right in the back of its head right as it was to continue its rant. Instead what comes out is a grunt as they fall over face first into the mud underneath.
This brings the other creatures a moment of pause until they grab onto their fallen leader and start to run for it. Even now moving in a disturbingly mechanical manner.
The guards turn towards Hiep and the bear, or more accurately its butt since its facing the wrong way, and then start to retreat as well.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

Shadowcaller wrote: Mar 27, 2023 7:22 pm [Well Training]

Brutus head disappears into the darkness of the stable.
But soon enough it reappears as even the most stubborn of asses can't resist food when they're hungry.
So he goes for the trail-mix... slowly.
Suspiciously starting to go for that granola while still keeping an eye on his green benefactor.
[Well Training]

Emily makes no sudden moves, simply holding the food steady for Brutus. While she does this, her other arm reaches for the rope hanging off the wall, to pick it up. Simple, slow, and calm. She has no reason to disrupt Brutus' meal, after all, and he'll have no reason to doubt her intentions.
Morty wrote: Mar 28, 2023 9:50 pm [A Little Town]

Calm Reed looks Henrietta directly in the eye. She realizes that this woman is doing. Trying to rile her up. But she's doing so crudely. An Exalted Dynast could tear down your pride and accomplishments under the guise of pleasant conversation or praise.

"If I were to do that, we would need time to find someone in Vigil who can sneak past an army of killer-machines. That is time I do not think you have. We will make do with what we have."
[A Little Town]

"Aye, fair point," Henrietta sighs. She doesn't like this at all, but she's pressed up against a wall as much as any of the other locals, "So, what resources do you need to do the job?"
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

Brutus eats greedily as long as Emily stay still and once he's done he simply gives her a final suspicious glare before disappearing into the darkness of the stable again.
Leaving her to take the rope as she please.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

Emily lets out a breath. It's always better to deal with situations like this in ways that don't risk anybody getting hurt.

She'll take the rope, then it's back towards the mountain. The cold of the storm sucks ass, but you deal with the situation you have, not the situation you want.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

Ascending the mountain won't be easy no. But with enough conviction a woman like Emily won't be stopped by bad weather and mud.
So eventually, and after having gotten mud nearly all the way up to her knees, she reaches the well once more.

It's at that moment when the rain simply stops as the storm simply seems to move on at the same speed that it came.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

Emily, absolutely soaked, lets out a sigh as she goes about fixing the well. At least she's not being rained on anymore, giving her an opportunity to dry off in the sun. There's worse positions to be in.

Like doing this while in a storm, for instance.

Regardless, once Emily has the well water she was looking for, she'll start the trek back down the mountain to where she left Ambrosia, finally done with this.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

Once Emily returns to the shrine she will find Ambrosia and Thariza sitting on a blanket just underneath the roof of the shrine.
The scholar is meditating though as Emily approaches she opens one eye and smiles. "How did it go?"

Considering Emily's muddy clothes and the time it took, that should be obvious. So the question seems either ironic or rhetorical.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Little Town]

"How closely do the machines keep track of you?" Calm Reed asks after a moment's consideration. "If I covered myself up, I could pretend to be one of you for a time. Hide out in any secure places of your town and wait until the right time to strike."

[Well Training]

Thariza is intently whittling a piece of wood with a carving knife and lets Ambrosia ask the questions.

[Hunting Lodge]

"We have an accord. A pact, if you will. They call me lord and honor me with their hunting and revelry. In return, I grant them boons and protect them. It is the nature of fey." Silent Feathers folds his hands on his stomach. "Your passion is... admirable. I may be too old for it myself but I would like to see it flourish. And Zhelshu seemed to imply you have a problem that I could help with."

[Riverside Moonwell]

"Ha! Take that, you... wait, what even are these things? The bureau will be on my ass again if I can't put a name to them..." Hiep turns towards the bear. "I don't suppose you know, huh bear?" If the bear was a normal one, it'd understand Hiep perfectly. Of course, it's not.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Riverside Moonwell]

The bear turns around as it looks for more foes to smash, only to find... a human?
But looking up beyond Hiep the bear spots them.

And they were running away, like cowards!

The bear lets out a growl and shakes its paw at the retreating creatures. Yeah, you better run!
The big animal lurches forward to chase stopping just before it runs straight into Hiep.
Right, the human was still here and she was talking to her?

Then in the same green smoke that had turned it from falcon to bear the bear turns into a purple woman. An extremely tall purple woman. "Ehh? What'd you say?" She inquires as she's forced to look almost straight down at Hiep.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Riverside Moonwell]

Hiep blinks as the bear transforms into a... really hot woman. A big, hot woman. Woof. The Sidereal is momentarily distracted before focusing on something other than... what's in front of her.

"I... was asking if you know what these creatures were."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Riverside Moonwell]

"Oh, they were demons." Anika boldly declares just as a thought occurs to her.

"I mean, I'm pretty sure they were demons. Since... they were after the moon well and all. Typical demonic behavior." She points a thumb at the obviously magical well behind her.

Then she gives Hiep a skeptical look. "But what are you doing here then?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Riverside Moonwell]

"They didn't look like any demons I've ever seen." Hiep sounds sceptical. "But things are weird here, so who knows. I was told that something would happen here. No specifics, as usual, but they were obviously right. And I assume you've got a better idea what this place is than I do."