Outside: Grass touch place

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

There should be an inn or motel or something to that effect near the outskirts of town; she knows enough to recognize those by sight even in the dreary darkness of a storm, so she moves towards them regardless. Thankfully regarding the slipperiness her tail and all-fours movement should keep her from having any spills as she's moving in.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.

Tags:
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

There's a small inn but there's a problem that she will likely notice right away.
The entrance isn't big enough for her. Whoever had constructed this doorway had people that were even shorter than your average human. Or it's one of those really old buildings back from when humans were shorter on average. Either way, she will have to do more than duck to get in since she's also too wide for it.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Tower of Oujet]

You're absolutely right, Anika. Buffs ARE useful! Just because they aren't big and flashy doesn't mean they aren't doing anything, right? Clearly this one did something to Laz. She seems to be having a great time ripping those zombies apart! And speaking of zombies, the latest one Anika hurled off the edge of the tower makes a really goofy yell as it goes plummeting to its doom.

Do zombies usually yell like that?

Probably not.

But sometimes the magic of the Nexus just reaches out and makes the world a little more nonsensical and inexpiable than it would be otherwise.

Now then.

Squidbus.

There's a squelch as the sword plows into the side of the horror monster, sticking deep up to the hilt. And thankfully for Laz it lodged between a pair of obsidian plates because otherwise when she leaps onto the thing to grab the sword it probably would have wrenched out and left her tumbling to her doom. As it stands she's just dangling from a sword over nothing instead.

The squidbus really doesn't react to getting speared at all. It's too busy vomiting more zombies on top of the tower and only having maybe a third of them actually land where it wants them to. One of those zombies is shambling toward the eye with the intent of pulling the floating orb out of its moorings. Probably a bad idea to let it do that.

[Clutching Pearls]

Lapis seems distraught. How could the monkey betray her like this!?

"But I don't WANT to take advantage of people I want to help people helping people is nice," Lapis insists as she continues her ascent after the monkey. The monkey seems significantly better equipped for tree climbing than Lapis is. As she scrambles aaaaalmost within arms reach the monkey leaps rather deftly from the tree they're in to that OTHER tree over there instead.

And hoots at Lapis.

"Maybe we can just find a different pearl... There are lots of them in the forest," Lapis suggests rather morosely.

[A Careful Afternoon Jog]

The bugs are very agitated.

Agitated by the meteor impact, mostly. It's got them all riled up!

But they're riled up and looking for SOMETHING to target their frustrations on.

They aren't riled up and looking for NOTHING to target their frustrations on.

That would be weird.

So it turns out that pretending to be nothing is a pretty solid way to avoid the notice of the swarming critters. Eventually, though, G'nichi will find them calming down a bit and returning to their foraging activities. He'll find groups of the rat to cat sized creatures scurrying back to the center of their crater, working together to carry large food items. Cows. Horses. Trees. The creatures are stripping everything alive and dragging it back to the large, red object at the center of their domain.

Which...

Looks suspiciously like a large red armored onion.

The food is deposited under the stilt-legged object which pulls the noms up into a mouth on its underside. After grinding whatever they bring it spits out a flurry of armored spores that stick into the earth. The creatures that aren't foraging seem to be busy tending to the spores and the onion at the center of their colony.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Tower of Oujet]

What a weird zombie. Hopefully it was a zombie and not a cleverly disguised adventurer or something. That'd be... bad.
But Anika has more pressing concerns. Like those zombies approaching the magic thingy. Since Anika mentally agrees with the narrator it's a bad idea to let them get too close.

Thus the next zombie she will be grabbing is one that is approaching the eye and instead of chucking it off the tower she's going to chug it at another approaching zombie.
Then?

It's bear time once more.

Since Anika is going to land on the third approaching zombie in her bear form and let gravity and her bear mass handle the rest.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Feb 28, 2023 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Trail of the Red-Clad Man]

"Well. Hell of a thing we found." Hiep seems to be matter of fact about it. "Now I'm not an occult sort of person, but this looks like a summoning circle. And not an amateur one."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Careful Afternoon Jog

G'nichi slowly approaches the onion-thing, trying to stay quiet. Luckily he has supernaturally-light footsteps that don't even crush blades of grass.
He has never noticed he does this.
Anyway the point is, clearly this is serving the role of a queen or production system. Not really sure. But he does bet that killing it would hurt them. So he needs to know what it's made of. If it's too hard for his sword he may have to use his fire.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

bc56 wrote: Feb 16, 2023 12:17 pm Maids on a Train
Ugh, that smell is awful!
Jade shuts the door behind her and bends down to examine the bodies. Are they... Turning into maids? That's bizarre.
Her back is turned to the door as she experimentally tries to remove the maid headband from one of the deceased. Is it stuck on there or is it regular clothes?

[Maids on a Train]

The mermaid, waiting, looks out the window. And she starts tapping out a rhythm on what would be her thigh (if she had legs).

The maid apron continues to form, until it's fully filled out. And the same thing starts to form on the other corpse, as well. The headband is easily taken off! It's just clothes, apparently. Doesn't even feel weird, just feels like a regular headband. Obviously, it's not a regular headband, since it appears that all this maid clothing is spontaneously forming.

On the corpse that's progressed farther, the wound starts to close up. And the remainder of that person's clothes start to change color and texture, making it more maid-like.
This continues even as the foxgirl watches.

With the foxgirl's sense of hearing, she might be able to hear the signs of an incoming attack: farther back in the train past where she and the mermaid were sitting, where the group of maids are standing around, there's a muffled shout - like someone tried calling out but had cloth shoved in their mouth.
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

[Tower of Oujet]
► SHOW SPOILER
Someone really ought to remind Saint Lazarus that this is a tower defense mission right now, not some sort of insane deathmatch. Then again, I don't know if she'd even recognize that words have meaning in her current state. Right now she's a little too preoccupied with the idea of downing the squidbus, of sending the whole damn thing tumbling to the ground. All else has been beaten out of her head by the thundering of drums and the rolling tide of an ocean of blood. Violence is not merely an act, it is the entire opera, and Saint Lazarus is its composer and librettist, painting swathes of crimson notes, sanguine harmonies and chords over the field of battle.

That's what the bloodlust says, anyway. In reality, outside of all that flowery nonsense about how the blood must spill, what she's doing now is mostly a lot of swearing under her breath, struggling to pull herself up and on top of the hilt of her sword, so that she can clamber atop the squidbus, where its brainmeats and eyes and everything vital to its continued operation is presumably waiting for her to rend apart as viciously and savagely as she can manage.
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Maids on a Train
Crud. That doesn't sound good. Jade thinks quickly and grabs the other headband off the other proto-maid and then rushes out of the bathroom. At the same time, she snaps the first headband onto her head. She's taking a serious risk here - she knows it might be infectious, but hopefully if she's wearing it, the maids will assume she's one of them. And hopefully wearing it won't cause her to start maidifying. Given her usual luck, that doesn't seem likely.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Hog Heaven]

Tsumi was about ready for that question, especially in Dena's current state. She shakes her head, whipping her practice sword out to one side and sending waves of dust flying from the end of the dull weapon.

"Maybe if you beat me, I'll tell you. Someone has to teach you a lesson about manners, aye? You've been without a little liquor for way too long."

[Clutching Pearls]

"There's quite a difference between taking advantage of other people and ensuring that your meritorious behavior is properly rewarded," Vargain says, looking up the tree after the creature. "I would like to believe that good begets goodness... yet it is not always so. The world must sometimes be forced into the shape you desire, Lapis. Take this creature. It doesn't understand you. It won't help you of its own free will. What if you needed that pearl to help your friends? Not these... people who have thrust this quest upon you."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Hog Heaven]

"Hey, no judgement. Been with boys that lacked that kind of equipment before so why would that make a difference, huh?"

But regardless she adapts what might be called a combat stance as she shifts one leg in front of the other and puts both hands on the handle of the tomahawk.
However, something seems to make her pause. "Don't suppose I could get a shield?" She swings the axe in the air twice as if to demonstrate something. "Since I feel kinda naked over here. Hard for me to do anything without going straight for the throat if y'know what I mean?"
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[A Careful Afternoon Jog]

Being able to walk without touching the ground is a pretty handy skill. Obviously this is because G'nichi is so spiritually pure that he can't even harm a blade of-

Haha.

Nah, just kidding.

G'nichi has totally harmed things. This must just be some magical nonsense.

Anyway! Sneaking. There are plenty of guards and attendants around the onion, carefully tending to it and the spores it produces. Getting closer, G'nichi will be able to see that it appears to be made of the same chitinous flesh that the rest of the bugs are. Just bigger and weirder and more immobile. No doubt if he still had that sword he could sword it to death pretty easily.

Of course...

Then the sword would probably be attracting more problems for him as soon as this issue is resolved.

[Clutching Pearls]

"But I DO get rewards for helping people! Quests give rewards even if the people I help don't give me anything," Lapis insists as she eyes the next tree over, trying to judge whether or not she should leap after the monkey and be a bit more insistent about getting the pearl from it. She could just take it. But she isn't sure if she should.

Would that be just?

She gave the muffin to the monkey. The monkey should have given HER something in exchange. That would be just. She hadn't intended the muffin to be an act of grace. And grace taken isn't grace at all. It's theft.

"Mother says doing good is always good. Just by helping a little we're making things better and you never know where your kindness will go."

After some thought, she decides to forgive the monkey and begin sliding back down the tree. The monkey didn't know better. And she can find another pearl.

"There are always lots of different ways Mister Vargain just because one way is the easy way doesn't mean it's the good one," Lapis says as she hops back down into the glowing leaf litter. "My friends DON'T need me to take THAT pearl so I don't need to worry about that. I only need to worry about real people not ones in my imagination."

She begins moving toward the next little clearing when suddenly there comes a PAFF! of a tree pearl landing on the soft forest floor. The monkey, no longer feeling threatened and now using both hands to greedily devour the muffin, dropped the pearl. Lapis smiles briefly and then stoops down to pick it up.

[Tower of Oujet]

There's nothing quite like hurling fools at other fools in battles like these. The two zombies collide in a tangle of limbs and down they go! Not over the edge of the tower, this time. They're closer to the middle of it. The undead are just piled on top of each other instead. That won't last forever, though, because they're both working at getting back up and generally falling all over each other comically.

Then Anika turns into a bear and body-slams another zombie.

It is unceremoniously smooshed under her bulk.

Gross.

Hopefully Anika remembers to take a bath when she's done here.

Laz, meanwhile, is focused on other things. Mainly climbing on top of the squidbus. She manages that feat after quite a bit of clawing and scrambling. And upon getting up there? She's immediately met with problems in the form of tentacles with mouths on the ends. Because why WOULDN'T something awful like this be covered in tentacles with maws full of obsidian teeth? Surprising no one, they begin striking at her like serpents in a bid to rip little Laz chunks off.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Tower of Oujet]

One zombie down, two playing a game of twister.
If there are any other Anika will charge them and give them a nice shave and haircut.
She will continue to act as a bearber for the zombies that get close. Just running about tearing off random limbs for the undead that they might feel they needed to move.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Trail of the Red-Clad Man

"You think so? I'll see if it's a gateway like I can use." Harriet frowns at the stone circle and crouches over it, running her hand through the air over the top as her PipBoy's incessant ticking gets louder and more insistent. She's reaching for gateways into the realm she's linked to, or which otherwise might resonate with the power of radiation, fire, and electricity. She's not trying to open it, just trying to find out where it goes and what might lie on the other side- if it can be opened. It might not be the doorway she's looking for.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[Maids on a Train]

Oh, the foxgirl is back! Now the mermaid can -
Oh.
The foxgirl kept on walking past.

The mermaid grows bored again.

In spite of Jade's reckless behavior, she's actually pretty lucky! Nothing about her changes.
It's because she's still alive.
It can't change her at all.
Her clothes, however, are a different matter. Clothes tend to not be alive. Jade finds her body and mind to be completely unchanged, but her clothes start to slightly change texture and saturation as she wears that headband. Of course, it's noticeably slower than when it was happening with the corpses.
Since, after all, the corpse was dead.

As she hopes, the other maids do largely ignore her! When she gets back with the group of them, they just glance at her but largely ignore her. Exactly as she hoped, they basically treat her as if she's one of them. Which is especially helpful, since the majority of passengers right here are all maids. Sure, there's a few asleep and others cowering, but most everyone back here is maids.

And in that way, she can walk straight up to the attempted murder without anyone questioning her. One maid - of note, and in particular, this one is not completely transformed - is raising a dagger and is about to stab the muffled passenger with a knife into the chest.
Similarly, another maid - also notably not completely transformed - just one row back is trying to force a sleeping passenger's mouth open to shove a dishrag into their mouth, too.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Harriet will find her investigations turn up naught-for-three; if anything, this circle seems to absorb all three, being cold to the touch and-

Overhead, the sky blots out into darkness, despite it being the middle of the day. A freezing wind blows past Harriet and Hiep both as the ground beneath them blackens, the space within the circle opening into a yawning abyss, the bottom of which won't be visible from here. Hiep in particular will hear the sounds of screaming being carried on the wind as it pushes against them, as though the suffering contained therein were enough to physically throw them away, long past the point of merely warning them.

And within the circle itself, movement can be seen... something crawling out of the new whole in the ground, heading in their direction, upward and out.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Maids on a Train
As Jade passes by the mermaid, she hands over the other headband. "Put this on." And then she's gone off towards the sounds of trouble.

Is it just her or do her clothes feel wrong? Her pants especially feel loose around the ankles and knees now.

Well, that's a problem. She's not sure how good her disguise is; if she disturbs the maids, they might turn on her. But she has to risk it. She moves to tackle the maid with the knife from behind, before she can stab her intended victim.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

Shadowcaller wrote: Feb 26, 2023 3:40 pm [Well Training]

There's a small inn but there's a problem that she will likely notice right away.
The entrance isn't big enough for her. Whoever had constructed this doorway had people that were even shorter than your average human. Or it's one of those really old buildings back from when humans were shorter on average. Either way, she will have to do more than duck to get in since she's also too wide for it.
[Well Training]

With a sigh, she simply goes to knock on the door. She's long since used to being too large for some things.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

"The doors not locked, come on in!" A voice on the other side calls out.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

Emily will open the door, and stick her head in, but most of her can't enter, "I don't believe I can without damaging something."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

The first thing Emily can see while peering inside is the bar with ale glasses hanging from hooks on the ceiling.
At first glance it seems like its unattended until a tiny head peeks out from one of the glasses with a accompanying set of wings.

A pixie.

"Oh." She gets out of the glass and leans a to her a enormous pipe cleaner against her shoulder. "Well, how may I help you, stranger? Afraid we don't really have housing for anyone your size."
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Mar 03, 2023 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

"It's fine," Emily waves that off, "I'm actually looking for some rope. The rope for the well is either broken or missing or something, and I need to repair it."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

The pixie blinks. "The well? On the hill?" She stares at Emily as if she had been a crazy person. "M'am, that's gonna be fixed tomorrow. We got water right here if you're in such a desperate need."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

"I appreciate it, but it's not about the water, it's about the well. I've been tasked by my teacher to retrieve some well water, and I mean to do it. It's a... special teaching thing."
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Shit," is Hiep's first comment regarding their new situation, backing away from the abyss. "Something's coming for us from down there. And I don't know how we're going to close this damn thing."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

"That's quite some teacher you have if they demand you to do that in this weather." The pixie puts her hands on her hips and shakes her head. "You poor thing, I wish I could invite you inside but-" She gestures towards Emily and the door. The obvious problem.
"-yet the very least thing I could do is giving you a rope. Ought to have one here somewhere." She looks back to the inn which seems completely empty. At least from Emily's perspective through the door. "You have any idea how long it has to be? I admit I've never given much thought to how deep that well is."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Trail of the Red-Clad Man

"It feels cold and icy, the place this thing goes. It's not anywhere I know, it's not hungry enough to be Sylvanas. I don't know how to close it either, but you got a fancy deer thing. Get ready to go and find help or something, I'll stay here if there's more than one. If we're lucky it'll close on its own and we can maybe destroy it or something after, so it won't open again." Harriet leans over the edge, looking into the abyss (Abyss?) below and shivering slightly. She doesn't stay cold for long, though, her PipBoy's ticking once more getting louder as she warms herself up.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

"The well's bottom was about fifty feet down," Emily considers, "That's uh... a little over fifteen meters, I think? So accounting for a bit of slack and extra, probably needs a rope of about seventy feet or longer."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

"Oh boy, that's a lot of rope..." The pixie rubs the back of her head as she seems to consider the effort it would take for her to get it all there.
Then an idea seems to occur. "Oh! Actually, there should be some rope in the stable near the backside of the inn. Should be hanging off one of the hooks near the rightmost stall. Just watch out for Brutus, he's our, ah, donkey. Keeps away unwanted guests."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Rebonack wrote: Mar 01, 2023 6:10 pm [A Careful Afternoon Jog]

Being able to walk without touching the ground is a pretty handy skill. Obviously this is because G'nichi is so spiritually pure that he can't even harm a blade of-

Haha.

Nah, just kidding.

G'nichi has totally harmed things. This must just be some magical nonsense.

Anyway! Sneaking. There are plenty of guards and attendants around the onion, carefully tending to it and the spores it produces. Getting closer, G'nichi will be able to see that it appears to be made of the same chitinous flesh that the rest of the bugs are. Just bigger and weirder and more immobile. No doubt if he still had that sword he could sword it to death pretty easily.

Of course...

Then the sword would probably be attracting more problems for him as soon as this issue is resolved.
A Careful Afternoon Jog

Don't be silly, narrator man. G'nichi always carries a sword. It's just a very normal sword that isn't bloodthirsty and possibly evil. It still swords things very well, though.
Still, it would probably bring the entire swarm down on him and his cloak of illusions might not work if they're looking for him. G'nichi looks to see if there's any rocks on the wall or such that might be loosened enough to drop down on the thing. This is clearly the VIP of the hive, so he should take it out. But maybe being a little more subtle than stabbing it will help him in the long run.