Outside: Grass touch place

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by bc56 »

Forsaken Cathedral
When Miranda finally does pass out, Charcoal takes stock of the situation. They've been making good time, as far as she can tell, but she's pretty sure Miranda won't be able to work anymore soon. And if she's doing half the work... It seems very likely that she'd die of dehydration before they reach the surface. Even if she had water, Miranda can't remove her breathing apparatus to drink it.
She looks at the cylinder containing the relic. She's pretty sure that the fragment of Sapphira within can't manifest for a while, since her body was destroyed.
"Sorry Miranda," she whispers to the unconscious agent, "I think a little corruption is better than dying. Sekhmet can fix it when we report back." She opens the canister and removes the relic, then goes back to work. Hopefully the relic's radiation will show the hypothetical rescue party where to dig.
In the meantime, the sleeping Miranda will be having some very ahem dreams thanks to its influence.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!

Tags:
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Forsaken Cathedral]

Naked, sweaty, suspended by her hips, and having naughty dreams, while a succubus is rooting around in her hole... how does Miranda keep getting into situations like this?

Oh, right. She works for the queen of succubi. That would do it.

Unfortunately for her, she's not conscious enough to object to Charcoal's plan again. And even if she was, she probably wouldn't be physically capable of stopping her anyway; losing consciousness due to dehydration or oxygen deprivation would imply her body is already on its last legs, and she wouldn't be able to take the strain of wrestling Sapphira's artifact out of Charcoal's hands on top of everything else.

So instead, she just has to sit there and wait for rescue.

"Huuuuuuuuuaah!"

Or not.

Miranda presses her rebreather against her mouth as she inhales deeply, taking in air in an attempt to recover as quickly as possible. "...I told you not to let me sleep!" She snaps, doing her best to try to keep her voice stern without raising it; she can't afford to waste the oxygen. "If I pass out down here, it could kill me. I've already died once on this trip and I'm not going to waste the resurrection by dying again immediately afterward."

Well.

Maybe not immediately. But the point still stands.

"...Ugh." She mumbles something indistinct to herself, holding her hand to her head. "I... can't ignore the lack of sleep forever, though. We're going to need to address that sooner or later." She looks down at the pit below them, trying to gauge how much room they really have. "...I can't set up a pod down here, but maybe if I had some gel... but then it'd pressurize the pit whenever I try to evaporate it, and it can't just sit there and stagnate... I'd have to find some way of getting air out of here..."

It doesn't seem to have occurred to her that Charcoal would violate her trust while she was briefly asleep. She doesn't check on the artifact.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Welmet]

Once, there was a maiden...
...falling forever in the water.

Hiep's actions don't show drunk resignation, perhaps, but there is a certain level of grudging acceptance to them. This fight didn't need to happen but it did happen so now she'll see it through and inflict whatever violence is necessary.

She steps aside when the beak comes down, her leisurely step carrying her away from the attack as if by accident. Yellow light washes over her arms as she rears back and aims a punch at the side of the rooster's head.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Neon Forest]

Like chopping a felled log.

Kothar's strength is herculean and while that shield blocks more energy based attacks it does little against good old fashioned blades. When the golem goes still the head drone likewise goes dark and drops to the grass.

The one remaining grunt, bereft of any sense of self preservation, leaps at Khannie only for the girl to deftly sidestep and shatter its skull with her baton.

Well! That's that! Khannie stuffs the small prism she liberated in her pocket and begins heading towards a supply crate nearby.

"These things have always got useful stuff in 'em. And we've still got two other parts of this place to shut down. The part that makes the weapons and the power plant."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Welmet

Her pistol apparently and somewhat unsurprisingly useless, Harriet holsters it again. Instead, she pulls the disc mace from her side and points it at the giant chicken, the ticking from the gieger counter in her PipBoy increasing as she unleashes a blast of light, heat and radiation from the end of her mace. It's a laser, one fuelled by power stolen from a god of radiation, and hopefully it'll at least partly bypass the armoured feathers.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Welmet]

Hiep's blow makes a mighty sound when it hits the rooster's skull. The bird rapidly jerks its head back, but that it would have done anyway after pecking. However, she can see it blink in confusion. It did not expect the punch, much less that it would be strong enough for it to feel.

Then Harriet's laser hits its chest. Her hopes are somewhar odd, lasers are not known for bypassing armor. They burn holes through armor instead. There's a small explosion as the laser vaporizes a small part of the rooster's plumage and the stench of burned feathers fills the air. Annoyed, crimson eyes focus their gaze on Harriet from the heights. The bird lifts one foot off the ground and stomps it towards Harriet, the pile of logs becoming unstable as it does and starting to fall apart.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Forsaken Cathedral
Miranda's not the only one naked. The aforementioned succubus has stripped down to just her jewelry, out of a mix of sympathy for Miranda and a need to not get her clothes in the toxic chemicals they're using.
"If you don't rest, it will kill you," Charcoal counters, but Miranda seems to have come to the same conclusion. "You really don't have any digging tools in that box of yours?" They would be very useful. "Maybe if I possessed you, we could split the difference on exhaustion. One of us could sleep, so to speak, while the other works." That assumes that Miranda could sleep while her body is up and moving about, which seems unlikely even to Charcoal, but she's grasping at straws here. They really need a way to refresh their air supplies or accelerate the work, or Miranda will die down here.

Neon Forest
Kothar has another concern. "What are... What you do?" It's clear he doesn't have the right words to ask the question. He's... Concerned about Khannie's abilities. He doesn't especially trust powers he doesn't recognize. Especially ones that manifest as darkness.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Neon Forest]

Oh no!

Concerns!

Khannie looks a little confused by that line of reasoning, mostly because she misinterprets which doing Kothar is referring to. This'll probably take a bit of back and forth to figure out.

"I pulled... I dunno whatever this thingy is? Out of the machine," Khannie reports, showing the prism she retrieved to Kother before glancing over at the huge tree looming above them. "I think it must be something that's important to this thing working, probably. Since it sure SOUNDS like it shut down when I pulled it out. All the bunkers I've explored have got these things. Whatever they are the machines don't work right without 'em."

There!

Nice and explained.

"I'm thinking maybe we should check out the foundry part next? There's this weapon I found in one of these places and I'm hoping I can get another because some jerk broke one of mine."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Forgotten Cathedral]

Miranda shakes her head. "Too many physical factors." She says, her breath rattling through the rebreather. "Even when you're driving, you'll still be burning through my body's resources. Good... good thought, though."

She pulls up her Hotbox and scrolls through the menu again. "I don't really have any, no. My toolkit is geared more for breaking and entering than digging. What digging tools I do have are too large or too imprecise to be of much use here. Hence the hammers." She says, holding hers up.

...Hm. If she inhaled deeply, she might be able to get her apparatus off long enough to swallow a pill or maybe some water. If so, that opens up a few possibilities. Caffeine, for one.

Then, rather abruptly, yet another obstacle throws itself in her way. One that's taken its time appearing due to dehyrdration, but simply will not wait any longer.

"Can you take over for a minute? I have to pee."

There's an obvious solution there, but if they get the whole food situation sorted out, Miranda's going to need to sanitize her Hotbox thoroughly before eating anything that comes out of it.

Besides, it gives her a minute to try to get the carbon recycler on anyway. All she really needs to do is adjust the intake some, and...

...what was she doing again?

Miranda runs her hands along the chrome box in front of her, trying to see if doing so will jog her memory. It should, she's used this thing... at least once before. That blinking red light there means there's an intake problem, right? Did she clear out the intake vent? She probably forgot to clear out the intake vent.

...Wait, what's she doing with the intake vent?

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Forsaken Cathedral
"Go ahead." Charcoal doesn't care much about decency. But she gets worried when her compatriot stares at the box without doing anything for several seconds.
"Miranda, are you all right? You're just staring off into space." She gently puts a hand on Miranda's shoulder.
Of course with Miranda tired, disoriented, and exposed to succubus corruption, there are a lot of ways concerned words and a friendly touch could be interpreted. Is it a guise for betrayal? An unsubtle attempt to hit on Miranda? Or something genuine? Or maybe Miranda can resist enough to realize that it's an innocent gesture.

Neon Forest
Kothar gives a frustrated snort. He understood that the first time. Hmm. How can he say it? "Who are what you do? No. Who are you, what do?" Struggling aside, he understands the other point. "Yes. Destroy forge, stop new con... Con... Con-struck-shun."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Forsaken Cathedral]

"Yeah, I'm..." Miranda dabs sweat off her forehead, running her hands over the box. "...I just need to slow down. One thing at a time. I'm... doing something with the intake vent..." She sets about unscrewing the cover, pulling hair out of her eyes. "...There's got to be something caught in there, I... oh." She tugs, pulling out a plastic wrapping that apparently hadn't been properly removed. "That should... that should work f..."

Miranda jolts herself back upright, stepping away from the box and Charcoal, both. "Try it now." She says quickly, pressing herself against the wall. For some reason, keeping her back to Charcoal strikes her as... more than a little uncomfortable. Worse than the heat, really.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Gold wrote: Dec 19, 2022 5:16 pm [Junkyard]

The robot lets out a small chuckling noise as the twin dummies go down, then begins sauntering towards the fake TARBot.

When Wenomir comes out and begins addressing him, the bot stops and turns to look at the commander. Raising a finger, he says "Harsh, my ass. I warned them, they didn't listen, they got burned. Whose fault is that?"

Mia's scan might reveal that the turquoise orb circling Zeeland's back is a Power Core, almost identical in makeup and energy signature to the one that TARBot had, with the key difference being that this one's abilities are not dimensional, but time-related. Also viewable is yet another Power Core, this one actually embedded in Zeeland's chest and thus obscured by his clothing. This one appears to control heat, which is what allowed for Zeeland to have such high-powered finger guns.
[Junkyard]

Mia will give the informations to Wenomir. It might be important to know that the backorb is the one with time powers. Depending on Eun and Khafirs they schould know were their target is.

For now the fallen TARBot will try to crawl away, making it obviouse that he wants to take distance to the swordsman.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Welmet]

She reached for purchase, but found nothing; her arms swung through the sea.

When Hiep sees the rooster focus on Harriet, she leaps and tries to grasp its feathers, then begin a swift climb up its back. Give it something else to focus on. And get somewhere she can hurt it.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Welmet

As Harriet sees the foot come down, she takes her spear and sets it in the ground, heated tip pointing straight up, and then dives to the side. Hopefully the spear will do some damage as the giant bird stamps down upon it, though it's not really guaranteed.

After rolling to a stop, she clambers back to her feet and blasts another laser at the bird, though she's altered it slightly- there's less light and heat in the attack, and more radiation. Hopefully that will penetrate the feathers where the cutting heat and light won't/

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Neon Forest]

Oh.

Oh.

Okay now Khannie is getting it.

This guy is like a knight or something, right? A holy knight. A paladin.

He just saw her nail some jerks with Bitter Malice. And saw her do the whole misty thing, too.

Well, thankfully there's a pretty easy way to come clean on that.

"I'm Khannie Vallarm and I'm a shadow sorceress!" she says, doing a pretty good job of striking what she thinks is a heroic pose. "I do shadowy sortsa magic since shadow spirits just kinda want to make me happy and do what I ask 'em to. I didn't pick it or anything it's just the sorta magic I'm good at."

Just to make it clear that she isn't, like, a wizard who picked doing necromancy or whatever because of having a thing for skeletons.

Like some kind of weird skeleton loving weirdo.

"And since I'm really good at it I try to use it to help people! Like clearing out these bunkers so the monsters in 'em don't hurt people traveling along the road," Khannie says. She's hoping that an explanation of why will be more important than the what. And yeah... her magic can be kinda spooky and creepy. Ghost stuff'll do that. But she didn't choose it. She's just making the best with what she's got.

"Mostly it's illusions and things but I can do some other stuff, too. Uh... like..."
she taps her pointer fingers together. Should she tell him that she's wearing an illusion right now? It probably won't even come up, right? "Like that cold darkness trick. Or the misty thing."

Okay that's a lie.

But just a harmless one, probably.

Those aren't her shadow magic, not really. That's because she's a pokemon.

"But yeah let's go wreck the forge c'mon!" Khannie says, quickly leaving that subject to move back toward the bunker's central hub.
Hraithre
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Hraithre »

[Welmet]

The feel of the rooster's feathers is somewhere between oily and silky, so they're not the easiest thing to cling to. But, if Hiep is determined, she can plunge her hands into the bird's plumage. The barbs of the feathers are sharp, but if she doesn't fear cuts, she may grasp them.

Harriet's spear is driven into the ground like a nail into a rotten plank. It may have scratched the hide, but bone was too tough for it to pierce. Her follow-up laser disappears into the bird's gleaming black chest, with no more obvious effect than shining a flashlight on it. Did she get it right? That's the cruelty of fighting something you don't know. If there is flesh and blood beneath those armor-like feathers, her beam may have gone through them and caused internal burns to the beast. Or, if she keeps it up, she might give it radiation poisoning.

Eventually. It is quite large. It stomps the ground again, sending dirt and splinters of wood flying around. It is simply trying to crush Harriet underfoot, not particularly caring to use its claws or spurs - she is too small and unthreatening for those.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Welmet]

The water did not slow her, nor the chill,
but she could not breathe.

Hiep climbs up the rooster's flank, grasping the feathers and seemingly having little fear of the cuts. When they do bite into her skin, they don't do so as deeply as one might expect. Nevertheless, her fingers bleed but she bears it with stoic acceptance. When she reaches the bird's back, she tries to run up to its head and give it a roundhouse kick.

[Junkyard]

"And just what is it you're after that you're willing to kill to get it?"

Wenomir stops, crossing his arms across his chest. He knows the answer, of course, or at least an answer - but he's trying to bait Zeeland to reveal his motives. See if he corroborates TARBot's story and admits to murdering people for power.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Murkus wrote: Dec 18, 2022 1:35 am [Hog Heaven]

"Just what kind of personal commitment are you making with a dance, hm?" asks the oni. Tsumi raises her eyebrows. "Maybe we can familiarize ourselves a bit. Say, over dinner?"
[Hog Heaven]

"I consider my dances to be something of a monologue to the audience. Parts of them are always improvised so they're never completely the same. It probably sounds a bit pretentious but I feel like I'm putting a lot of myself in them y'know? I'm probably not the most honest person but when I dance I feel more sincere than I can ever be through words. So that's why it feels like a personal commitment. I'm showing people me in a way that feels deeply personal."

Dena pauses as she seem to suddenly realize how somber she was sounding.

"...anyway, you wanted dinner? Sure, I guess. Not sure what you're aiming for here but I see that you're committed now. No turning back." She winks.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Forsaken Cathedral
"I wasn't doing anything," Charcoal replies, increasingly concerned, "You were looking for somewhere to use the restroom. Are you sure you're all right?" From her perspective, Miranda seems to be in bad shape - she can't even remember what she's doing.

Neon Forest
Kothar doesn't seem convinced. Especially because he smells something on Khannie.
Not the scent of fox (although he does smell that). The scent of undeath. Paladins have a sixth sense for such things. "You smell dead." He moves toward the forge anyway. "Dead walk rarely, rarely good reason." In other words, he's suspicious but doesn't consider her a threat.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Forsaken Cathedral]

"Of course I'm not all right." Miranda half-snaps, half-snarks. "But I'm still standing, which is important. Can you just... turn this thing on and look away for a few minutes?"

If Charcoal obeys, she'll feel a deep thrum run through the box and the device will start kicking and huffing as air is drawn into the open vent and a cool breeze wafts up toward her face.

Moments later, Miranda will let out a little sigh, still stuck just behind her. "...Okay. So now we're down from 'imminently lethal' to 'gross and uncomfortable, but sustainable'." She says, massaging her forehead. "As long as that carbon recycler is working, we could stay down here for weeks if necessary. And a small bonus, there's a diamond waiting for you on the far side. Shouls go well with the rest of your... um..."

Miranda's staring. Presumably at Charcoal's jewelery, but apparently, something else in the general region has caught her eye.

"...Let's not stay down here for weeks." She mumbles, pulling herself up toward the ceiling.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Neon Forest]

Oh.

He's got some kinda ability to tell if something is undead or not, hasn't he?

Khannie's expression immediately falls.

It isn't the look of some enraged monster that just got its cover blown. It's the look of a child who just got caught in a lie. Shame and embarrassment.

Khannie rubs one arm awkwardly.

"I got turned into a monster when I was just a little baby. I'm a ghost sorta monster but I use my illusions to look like I'm still a human girl. But I'm a good guy, okay? I don't suck people's life out or anything gross like that,"
Khannie insists.

A beat.

"...sorry. Fer lying to you."
Last edited by Rebonack on Dec 22, 2022 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Forsaken Cathedral
Charcoal isn't exactly looking at Miranda's face herself, but that's neither here nor there.
What's important is that they have fresh air now. "Oh, good. Now that you're not going to suffocate, you need to drink something, maybe eat, then sleep. No arguing." Miranda needs to survive, and that means she needs to recover from the ordeal of the last 24-ish hours. If she needs to, she'll grab Miranda by the shoulders and force her to sit down, which will bring them into very close proximity for a moment. Maybe too close.

Neon Forest
"You not tell whole truth," Kothar firmly counters, "But enough." He can tell there's more to this story, but he can also tell that the essential core of the statements are true. "We go now." To the forge! Without the supply of raw materials, it shouldn't be able to make many more monsters. But it's still best to break it anyway.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Forsaken Cathedral]

Miranda shakes her head. "We won't have a viable atmosphere for another hour or so." She says, doing some quick back-of-the-hand math with the machine's flow rate and guessing at the volume they've already dug out. "Until then, I'm going to keep digging. I-oop!"

Either Charcoal is a lot stronger than she looks, or Miranda's a lot weaker from dehydration and such than she thought she was. Probably both, if she's being honest with herself.

...Charcoal's right. She really should just... sit down and rest for a while. The succubus is only looking out for her, even if she's being a bit... rough, about it. Not that the roughness is all that bad... granted, she'd rather not be driving her knees into the pebble-covered cavern floor, but there is something nice about the firmness Charcoal's using. It's a nice mix of clear evidence she cares and the conviction behind her actions.

...That's something Miranda's always sort of wanted, really. A good, strong partner. Kind but not a pushover, tough but not callous. It's... uncanny, how well Charcoal seems to be fitting into that.

It's... it's supposed to be cooling off in here, right? Why is her face suddenly all hot?

"...I think I'll just... lie down, for a bit." Miranda says, turning her face away, trying not to think about how weirdly close her face was to Charcoal's... listen, she's really trying not to think about it. Or about the fact that it didn't bother her until just now.

Yeah. The heat must really be getting to her.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Welmet

Harriet is able to dodge most of the stomps, trying to stay under the rooster's bulk where it can't see her as easily. There's still a gash opened up down her leg through the Vault suit where she doesn't quite dodge fast enough, blood and radiation ticking from her wound. She's too busy to swing the disc mace at the rooster's legs, but does direct another beam of heat and radiation up at the rooster above. She's relying on the fact that, to her knowledge, radiation kills everything that isn't a robot. Whilst that's not true where she comes from and not true here, it's more true than false.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

Forsaken Cathedral
Miranda's going to be furious when she realizes this is all because Charcoal left the relic sitting out, isn't she?

Meanwhile, it's time to make my move... The fragment of Sapphira in the artifact has been content to just passively bathe Miranda and Charcoal in succubus-y radiation. But now that Miranda is starting to succumb, it's time to start pushing things a little further. In this case, that means making some tweaks to their mental states. She starts with Charcoal. The succubus might be attracted to Miranda, but she's under strict orders from Sekhmet not to get involved. She's caring for Miranda because keeping Miranda alive is part of the mission. So the first order of business is to make sure Charcoal still wants to protect Miranda, but have her forget why. Next, she needs to have a motive to engage with Miranda on more than just a friendly level. A little power drain will leave her hungry. She'll want to feed soon, and succubi don't get their sustenance from food.
Miranda won't be left untouched either. For now, Sapphira just moves to erase any discomfort Miranda has about her current state of dress.

Charcoal turns the carbon recycler so the stream of fresh air is blowing towards Miranda, then uses her very limited understanding of the hotbox's workings to print out a bottle of water. "Here. You need it."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Neon Forest]

Not the whole truth.

It's the truth as Khannie believes. She really does believe that she was turned into a pokemon when she was just a baby. That she was fundamentally human before hand. That's the truth to her. That's how she thinks about it. Is it true?

Not...

Really.

But she wants it to be true.

She wants it hard enough that she believes it herself.

Anyway!

Back to the weapon factory!

Our heroes head down into the bowels of the bunker, the number of trees growing from the floor gradually thinning until all that remains is synthetic earth, shrubbery, and the occasional wrecked bit of machinery. Things look more run down here, as if the equipment hasn't been repaired as regularly. Soon our heroes will come upon a 'tree' that looks more obviously mechanical than many of the other oddities they've encountered. A towering edifice of metal and wood and pipes and branches. Steam hisses from churning components as ingots of glowing magenta material are fed into the top of the factory, a tangle of branches pulsing with emerald light. And from below the factory churns out large magenta pods with living shapes squirming inside them that are carted off to another smaller structure nearby.

Aside from the occasional machine hovering around and supplying repairs or moving the maturation pods there don't appear to be many other hostile robots here.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Forsaken Cathedral]

As it turns out, Sapphira doesn't really need to do much in the last case; Miranda comes from a society that has largely done away with their nudity taboo. Such a thing is considered intimate but not necessarily sexual. Being caught in a tiny space naked isn't much worse to her than being caught in a tiny space in general.

Well, normally that would be the case.

Miranda accepts the water bottle and quickly unscrews it, hurriedly removing her rebreather long enough to gulp down the bottle's contents. If this was the only supply of water they had, she might be more inclined to conserve it, but unless Charcoal manages to break her Hotbox it's not going to be a problem.

"...Thank you." She says, sprawling out (as much as she can) by the carbon recycler.

...She... should be recovering her breath, right? Why is she still flushed and out of breath? Especially looking up at Charcoal like this?
Last edited by Ironsmith on Dec 23, 2022 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

[Dysphotic Swamp]

Of course, not removing the tourniquet essentially puts a soft time limit on rescuing her: every couple extra hours will make it require that much stronger magic to restore its function. (Up to a point, of course. Thanks to the first aid treatment, there's a limit to how bad it can get.)

"As big as a loaf of bread," Seraphina says. She shines the light directly where the splash originated, but still just the aftershocks of ripples going around. "That's how big the splash was. At least, I hope it was a frog."

It was, in fact, not a frog. What caused it had smelled something disconcerting about Khannie, and chose to not reveal itself just yet.
There's rustling in the tall grass and reeds sticking out of the water. Seraphina turns the light towards it, but it seems to have just been rustling because of the wind.

Speaking of the wind, it's carrying a very sweet scent with it. Very faint, though, as if it's masked by distance or water. Faint enough that Seraphina can't distinguish it from the general ambient smells, though Khannie could pinpoint it coming from the direction that Seraphina's flashlight is now pointing.

Seraphina glances back at the hanging tree and counts the bodies. Same number, good.

Seraphina thinks about how best they can rescue this woman. After all, Khannie did promise. While looking around at the grass and branches being moved in the wind, she thinks aloud: "Option one, someone goes to get help, the other stays here." No good, fails the buddy system rule. "Option two, we wait for her to wake up again." Might be too late, though. "Option three, we carry her with us." Seraphina thinks that's the only option she can think of which has a chance of success, so she adds, "I'm sure I can scavenge enough stuff from the tents to make a sling-thing."

The sweet scent seems to be stronger now, and comes from the direction of a weeping tree whose hanging branches are brushing against the water surface.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dysphotic Swamp]

This is definitely a bad situation.

They're way out in the middle of nowhere without any help nearby. Khannie has no idea where the nearest Riftline station is. And the last time she went on Riftline with Seraphina some weird stuff happened.

Which...

Doesn't' really mean weird stuff would happen again if they went on the train but that sort of thinking can be hard to shake sometimes.

And that smell.

That's a weird smell. A REALLY weird one. Khannie is having trouble placing what it is. Sweet and kind of nauseating. Like the smell from the black goop. Is this some kind of flower tree zombie thing? It would have been helpful to get some more information from the woman but she just passed out so they really don't have a great idea of what they're dealing with here.

"We've gotta take her with us," Khannie quickly concludes. "Splitting up would be dumb and no one knows either of us are here and I'm not getting any cell coverage in this smell wet pit."

It would be nice if it didn't smell so bad but the swamp is rather insistent on being dark and gross.

"Maybe we could use some rope and tarps and stuff to pull her?" Khannie agrees.

Also splash. And the smell getting worse. Khannie eyes the stinky tree suspiciously. Has it got, like, zombie stink fruit hanging from it or something?

"You wanna make the sled? I'll keep an eye on things," she suggests as she allows her illusion to peel away since her senses are more acute when she isn't muddling them with the human illusion. Her nose twitches at the air, ears swiveling this way and that.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Shadowcaller wrote: Dec 21, 2022 11:13 pm [Hog Heaven]

"I consider my dances to be something of a monologue to the audience. Parts of them are always improvised so they're never completely the same. It probably sounds a bit pretentious but I feel like I'm putting a lot of myself in them y'know? I'm probably not the most honest person but when I dance I feel more sincere than I can ever be through words. So that's why it feels like a personal commitment. I'm showing people me in a way that feels deeply personal."

Dena pauses as she seem to suddenly realize how somber she was sounding.

"...anyway, you wanted dinner? Sure, I guess. Not sure what you're aiming for here but I see that you're committed now. No turning back." She winks.
[Hog Heaven]

"Well, when you say it fancy like that..." Tsumi raises her hands in surrender of the point. She raises an eyebrow at the latter reply. "You're just killing me with your enthusiasm, Dena." Tsumi shrugs one of her big shoulders as she shuts her eyes for just a sec, saying, "Doesn't gotta be dinner. Maybe I just wanna spend some time with the funny, exotic lady," She glances down. "And speaking of dinner. Yours is getting cold."