Outside: Grass touch place

Locales abroad of the city centers, from out of doors to the outer planes.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Outside: Grass touch place

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

Ambrosia was standing in the opposite direction of where Thariza was aiming so she just looks on in amazement. A contrast to her usually subdued expression.

The ground that Thariza's flames touched continues burning even after the initial torrent of flames have subsided even after they've consumed everything that could possibly function as fuel. As if the earth itself had caught fire.
But despite looking like these flames might burn forever they too burn out after little less than a minute.

The wings and the glow persist for now though and Ambrosia has already started investigating them as she waves her hand through them, confirming that they are indeed immaterial. Yet despite this Thariza can feel the scholars hand passing through her new appendage, something which cause a small shiver up her spine. Since to the charr they feel real enough. Like any other of her appendages which she had started training with from an early age.

There's instincts tied to them that she will quickly recognize aren't her own yet that shouldn't be unusual by now. Yet another distant echo of a legend that she's channeling, this one just happens to be a dragon.

Tags:
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

Okay.

That was a bit of a false start let's try this again, shall we?

[Cloud Nine]

The funny thing about clouds, you see, is that they aren't nearly as cool as you might think. You look up in the sky and you see these big poofy clouds and you imagine sitting on one of those things. Just kinda dangling your legs over the edge like one of those Hallmark angels with a harp. But that isn't what clouds are actually like. Incidentally that isn't what ANGELS are like, either, but that's another subject. No, the first time you try flying up to a cloud to maybe sit on it the experience is deeply disappointing.

It's basically just like thick fog.

It gets denser and denser and you get wet. If you're really unfortunate there's hail or something whizzing around in there. Don't fly into storm-clouds, kids. No fun at all.

With all that in mind, one can probably understand Dizzy's confusion here.

See, Dizzy found a cloud. It's a pretty big cloud, as clouds tend to be. But it's also solid. SOLID! From a distance it was pretty easy to mistake it for a snow bank. But nope. This is a cloud. A great big cartoony cloud landscape. Cloudscape. Whatever. Like rolling hills made out of clouds. Also there's a castle off in the distance that Dizzy didn't notice until actually landing on the thing. Checked around the bottom for any beanstalks, just in case.

There was one, actually. Big around as a giant sequoia just stretching waaaaaaay down toward some village far below.

It was, in fact, the first indication to Dizzy that there might be something up. That maybe, just maybe, this is somewhere odd.

"Huh."

Huh. Hah. That's certainly a way to put it, isn't it?

Probably a decent idea to describe Dizzy here, right? Nephilim. Fallen Ones. It really isn't a flattering title. 'Mighty men of old, men of renown' is probably a bit less negative. But the actual of old sorts are all dead. All the antediluvian giants didn't survive. But that whole Sons of Elyon thing never stopped. Not completely. Sure there was no trace of it for ages but as the world began slouching toward the final act it picked up again. And so you get people like Dizzy.

But that couldn't be TOO weird, right? Being part angel? Just some pretty looking person with wings and a halo?

Haha, right.

Well, we already talked about how angels aren't very much like Hallmark cards. And there are way, WAY weirder things in the host of heaven than the messengers who get sent to talk with regular folks and lead with 'fear not'. Things like flaming swords, serpents, horses, lions, oxen, scorpions, eagles, storks, wheels, wings, men, and heaven knows what else. Or, maybe, less LIKE those things and more those are just the things that are least dissimilar to them. Things of spirit, of celestial bodies. Things of the sun and moon and stars. Things that get jumbled up when mixed with the seed of mortals.

Dizzy is, in broad strokes, human. But also a giant. Nearly eight feet tall and absolutely huge when compared to an age when the average man was a bit over five feet. Androgynous in a way that is at once attractive and unnerving. Fiery red hair that's a medium between a lion's mane and human locks, long and tied into a tight braid. A too-wide mouth like that of a lion in spite of the human face, full of terrible teeth all around. Hands and feet that are at once lion-like and human, fur the color of molten sulfur that terminates just above the knees and elbows in more fiery red mane. Huge bat-like wings folded across the back, dusted with velvety red fur just as the long tail that is at once leonine and scorpion-like.

Clothing is sparse, given the awkwardness of having all those nonsense limbs on Dizzy's back. An open-backed tabard of hyacinth blue and simple leggings of the same color to accommodate a tail. Nestled between the wings rests a well-stuffed backpack. No shoes. No gloves. No armor. More than a few scuffs and scrapes.

"I know I was saying I wanted to go somewhere new but this feels a bit out there," Dizzy mutters aloud, walking along the cloudscape. It feels a whole lot like walking on snow. A bit of give. Crunches a little under one's toes. "This is real, right? I didn't just get clobbered a little too hard when I went through that wall?"

The sound of wind whistling through the cloudbanks offers no answer.

"No angels with sharp sickles around anywhere?" Dizzy calls out with a raised voice. "This isn't the tail end of the apocalypse and I just missed something important?"

"Squark," replies a vulture, landing atop a bit of leafy green bean-stock sticking through the clouds.

Dizzy eyes the bird skeptically.

"Did you miss the big dinner invitation, Mister Bird?"

The bird replies by tilting its head and Dizzy and providing a scrutinizing bird-look.

"Right. Okay. I guess I'm going to go see what's going on with the castle," Dizzy concludes, setting off to do exactly that. "Remember Dizzy, if you find a golden goose don't kill her for the eggs."
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Morty »

[Well Training]

"...I've been going through a couple of things these past few years." That's a "yes" to Emily's question. "And now it suddenly bubbled over. I think I'm channeling a legend. One I picked up from the sword. A dragon."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

"Not something I'd have expected from within a sword, but stranger things have happened," Emily nods, understanding, "It probably resonated with your emotional state. Whoever that dragon is probably had a lot of pent up frustration."
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Gathering Place
"And where will we find this artifact?" Sekhmet asks with a sweeping gesture. Such a treasure sounds both very useful and very dangerous to a fey. It doesn't sound like something she or her cultists might need, which is good for her purposes, it means there won't be undue conflict in the expedo.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Thursday Violist »

bc56 wrote: Jun 07, 2023 11:15 pm Maids on a Train
"I'm headed to Inside," Jade answers, "The end of the line."
[Maids on a Train]

"Huh," the mermaid says.
"Inside sounds like a boring place."
Very generic name. Not only is it the end of the line, it's also called something as generic as Inside? At least Riverside and Skyside sound halfway more decent! she thinks.

"Hmmmmm...."
She looks out the window at the landscape again.
"I think I'll get off somewhere before there. Maybe somewhere with a more interesting name, like Cavendish or something."

Rebonack wrote: Jun 14, 2023 4:22 pm
► SHOW SPOILER
[Cloud Nine]

"Yeah if you get a goose you should let it sit on its eggs then you'll have a bunch of baby geese."
The voice comes from a rather small...person. "A lot better than a dead goose."

A pixie lands on Dizzy's braid, having come from the direction of the beanstalk.
The pixie is small, with half-transparent butterfly wings and a blue mushroom cap as a hat. A rather childlike look to it. Of course, the pixie lands on Dizzy's head because it's decent enough protection from the vulture.
"Hi."
She crawls forward and leans over Dizzy's face to get a better look at who she's talking to.

"...But grandmother, what a terrible, big mouth you have!" the pixie claims after seeing Dizzy's face.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cloud Nine]

What.

Dizzy notices the little voice first, of course. And before long there's a tiny person peering into those great big eyes. That's... huh. That really isn't a thing Dizzy was expecting to see today. But then again Dizzy wasn't expecting to find a field of cloud on top of a beanstalk with a castle nestled between some 'hills' in the distance. In the grand scheme of things maybe a tiny butterfly winged person with a mushroom hat isn't the weirdest thing Dizzy has encountered thus far today?

"I'm starting to think I really DID hit my head too hard when I went through that wall," Dizzy muses, sounding deeply bemused. "But I guess golden goslings WOULD be better than a dead goose."

If the pixie is a hallucination then at least shes a hallucination that gives okay advice.

"Hey."

That's a good response to a tiny person saying 'hi' to you, right? Dizzy seems to think so.

"All the better to ~doot~ with, my dear."

That doot was absolutely a trumpet noise and not Dizzy just saying doot. The sudden sound of a trumpet startles the vulture, which squawks in fright and vomits everywhere in self defense.

"Yeah well no one asked your opinion on my musical skills, bird," Dizzy says, shooting a glare at the vulture before starting off toward the cloud castle again. "Hey are you a teraphim? Or barring that a hallucination? After the Jack and the Beanstalk castle plus clouds combo I'm not sure which of those two are more likely."
Last edited by Rebonack on Jun 15, 2023 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Cloud Nine]

To be fair, the pixie wasn't expecting to land on someone's head, either, but only some people get what they expect every day.

The pixie giggles and kicks her legs in the air at the ~doot~. It is, after all, pretty funny. Especially the vulture's reaction to it. "Not quite a trombone, but good enough, I guess," she comments.

The pixie strokes her chin. "Hmmmmm. Maybe?" She doesn't quite know what a 'teraphim' is. Never even heard of it, even! But maybe this giant woman just bit her tongue and misspoke? She sticks her tongue out and speaks with her tongue out: "I would thay I'm more of a Nina than a Teraphim."
She withdraws her tongue. "Hmmm. Hmmmmm. Hmmmmmmm. If I were a hallucination, would I know? If a hallucination knows it's a hallucination, is it still a hallucination?" Or does it just stop existing? These are the important questions, probably. "...maybe I am?"

the pixie sits up and looks over at the top of the beanstalk. "I have a friend who's climbing the beanstalk thing, she'd know if I'm a hallucination or not. But she's as giant as you are and so she's really slow. Stupid, too, since she's climbing instead of flying but she does know how to tell if someone's a hallucination."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cloud Nine]

Days would be pretty boring if you only ever get what you were expecting. That was Sisyphus' whole problem, wasn't it? And don't believe that guy who was saying you have to imagine Sisyphus happy he totally wasn't. The whole point was that it was torture.

Speaking of torture! The vulture tries taking off in a panic and ends up crashing straight into the beanstalk sticking up through the clouds and tumbling downward. Hopefully the large bird doesn't land on the climber's face since that would be tragic.

Dizzy responds to the display with a "~BWUP Bwup bwup bwuuuuuuh.~"

That was absolutely a trombone.

"I can do lots of others. Pretty much ANY brass it's great," Dizzy says proudly, voice tinged with both excitement and pride. "No woodwinds, though. And percussion is right-out."

Really, Dizzy loves that trick. It's amazing. Having such a voice like a trumpet (among other instruments) is fantastic.

"So... maybe a teraphim but also maybe a hallucination. Do you live in a skull? Because if no then probably not teraphim," Dizzy muses. "Not making much progress there but oh well. This is definitely better than where I was before I got kicked through that wall by that cheeky parashim jerk. Word of advice? Never trust anyone who aligns with Hailael even if they swear up and down that you have a common enemy blah blah blah. They'll still kick you through a wall."

But getting kicked through a wall turned out okay so maybe that's fine?

"Gotta say I've never talked to a hallucination but this is pretty fun so far and~woop!~"
That's a foot going right though the cloud. Dizzy does a couple little hops to regain footing.
"-okay going to have to watch for those misty holes not sure what happens if I fall THROUGH the cloud."

Given that it's mostly solid? Get frozen? Drown? Zapped by lightning? Not worth finding out.

"Anyway like I was saying I'm not really too knowledgeable on hallucination rules, so I guess we'll have to wait for your friend."

Only Dizzy isn't waiting. Dizzy is still walking toward the castle.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Morty wrote: Jun 14, 2023 11:16 pm [Well Training]

"...I've been going through a couple of things these past few years." That's a "yes" to Emily's question. "And now it suddenly bubbled over. I think I'm channeling a legend. One I picked up from the sword. A dragon."
Halae wrote: Jun 14, 2023 11:26 pm [Well Training]

"Not something I'd have expected from within a sword, but stranger things have happened," Emily nods, understanding, "It probably resonated with your emotional state. Whoever that dragon is probably had a lot of pent up frustration."
[Well Training]

Emily's suggestion makes Ambrosia abruptly stop investigating as this was something most terrible. Someone was being wrong about something she cared about!

"Actually, only in his final years and later misinterpretations of what he did in life. Since Yeonsu was as his name suggests not a violent dragon despite his obsessions with weapons. He was unlike many of his contemporaries gentle and kind. He mostly concerned himself with perfecting various forms of human martial arts and the harvest. Something which wasn't seen as dignified enough for a dragon. Hence why many """""""scholars"""""""-" She doesn't need to make air quotations as her voice suggests there are so very many already. "-felt the need to extrapolate on the truth with exaggerations of the few violent things he did do and many which he did not. I've written several essays and scrolls about this topic so I consider myself to be the foremost expert on it."

This wasn't really what Emily had suggested but it all came pouring out from her nonetheless.

She then puts her hand on Thariza's shoulder, just barely able to reach it without getting up on her toes. "The fact you were able to channel him is amazing though, Thariza. Since that is his legendary flame!" The scholar gestures to the burned ground in front of them. "I thought I would never see it in real life. Of course, his flame would likely have been much grander but it's still probably the closest I will get to the real thing."

The floating pen is already scribbling down things in Ambrosia's tome more feverishly than even Thariza has seen it do before. Though she might realize by the strokes it is making that it isn't actually writing at all. It's drawing something.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Cloud Nine]

There is no need to worry: the pixie is sure that, even if the vulture falls on the climber, she'll still be alright. Worst-case scenario, she falls and has to climb up again.
The pixie giggles again.

"Did you know trombones are the voice of deity?" the pixie claims. "Don't worry, though. I'm sure you can still make percussion the normal way, like with spoons, or sticks and rocks."

"Well, if I am a hallucination, then I would be living inside someone's head, right? Trees are much better than skulls, though, because if you live inside a skull then you have to start wondering whose skull it is. No thanks, ick, sounds gross. What if they want their skull back?" she asks. Then, she adds, "Don't know what a Hailael is but I'll make sure not to do that."

Once Dizzy loses footing, the pixie gets thrown off Dizzy's head and starts fluttering in the air.
After it seems safe and hopping stops, she lands on Dizzy's left shoulder (especially now that the vulture's gone, there's no need to be on top of the head. "Don't worry, if you fall through the cloud the worst that can happen is you hit the ground. Then you just have to fly back up."

The pixie doesn't bother waiting, either, riding on Dizzy's shoulder. She thinks Dizzy is much more interesting than the person climbing the beanstalk, anyway, so waiting around would just be a net negative. "Whose castle do you think that is? I think maybe it belongs to the queen of the local countryside. Probably wears a lot of red."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cloud Nine]

See this is why people should just have wings. Or be able to run on the air like certain cheaters that Dizzy won't mention. Definitely wings instead of air-running is preferable. It makes more sense and it means you can open your wings really dramatically with a *fwumph!* sound.

"I'll admit that I wasn't aware of that. Though I'm questioning it a bit, too. I was always under the impression it was more like crashing waves and a great multitude speaking in harmony. The sort of sound that blows your socks right off."

A beat as Dizzy looks downward. Yep. Still fuzzy leonine toes with no socks.

"I mean. Assuming you wear socks, anyway."

Some people are really big on socks. Dizzy, not so much. They make your fur stand it weird angles. Like bed-hair or hat hair. Except on your feet. Dizzy's feet work just fine without any shoes, thanks.

"And hey I can always just clap," Dizzy adds. And claps just to show that, yes, clapping is possible. The sound is a little muffled because, again, fur and finger-beans. Probably not the sharpest sort of clapping around. "But that's percussion anyone can do. Clap, stomp, snap, whatever."

At the question of wanting skulls back Dizzy's mouth opens, pauses with some thoughtful consideration, then closes again.

"Usually dead people don't want things back. Usually."

Typically. But hey what about this Hailael guy?

"And good. Hailael is bad news."

He's bad news. That's what.

"I would rather not hit the ground, just between you and me. I'm tough but I don't know if I'm terminal velocity splat sort of tough,"
Dizzy admits. Then? It's a good time to put some hands on hips and gaze dramatically at the castle in the distance. "I don't know anything about that castle. But I think I'm going to find out."

Then?

It's time to keep walking! Which is important since the castle is quite a ways away.

But our heroes don't get to the castle first. First they encounter what Dizzy initially mistakes for sheep until a closer look is acquired. See, there's a bunch of beanstalk sticking up above the clouds. And there are white fuzzy things grazing on the leaves. And it turns out those white fuzzy things are-

"...those are giant woolly aphid."

They're giant woolly aphid.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Cloud Nine]

"The fact that neither of us are wearing socks right now is just proof that we're right," the pixie claims. The sound blows your socks off? And now neither of them are wearing socks.

And, "I try to not make a habit out of asking dead people what they want.."
The pixie moves to a sitting-down position, to make the ride smoother.

She continues to make inane commentary. "I've fallen to the ground before. It's pretty scary but not as scary as actually being on the ground because then you have to watch out for cats." Notably, due to her size, weight, and frontal surface area, the pixie also has a much lower terminal velocity than most people.

The pixie looks at the giant aphids. "Gross, those bugs look like they went moldy!" she exclaims. She turns away from them and holds her hand over her mouth in case the wooly aphids try to get mold spores inside of her. "Are you sure that's wool? They might be infected by some kind of mushroom that controls them, or something. You should probably keep your distance in case they try to drip stuff on you, fungus and bugs together are gross." No wonder they're up at the top of beanstalk in the clouds! They can drip their fuzzy spores all over people on the ground.
Says the pixie that literally has both butterfly wings and a mushroom cap.

~~~

Meanwhile!

Finally, after so much time, someone reaches the top of the beanstalk and the cloud!
It's a woman.
Nowhere near as tall as Dizzy, though.
If you discount all the abnormal features (her black-grey hair has little mouths on the end, her eyes are empty voids with sharp teeth and a single light really really far into each of the voids, her fingers are claws that look like they've been dipped in ink...and a couple more things here and there), she looks pretty normal! Also she has a couple vulture feathers stuck in her hair.

And she's panting.
She reaches for the cloud, feels that it's solid, and lies down on it.
"Dumb bird," she complains.
Now that she's no longer climbing, her hands are free to finally remove the feathers from her hair.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cloud Nine]

Many very important things have been shared recently, in Dizzy's opinion. Really getting to the core of this tiny person who might be named Nina. Lack of socks. Doesn't like cats. Doesn't like bug-eating mushrooms. All really valid opinions.

"I'm not a cat," Dizzy points out. "Or a cat-girl. Or cat-boy. None of the above. See?"

Fuzzy leonine looking fingers are pointed at the top of Dizzy's head by way of very important instruction.

"No cat ears."

No ears up there at all, actually. Dizzy's ears are on the sides of the head where ears ought to be. But that TAIL looks kind of catty. But also really scorpiony. It's kind of both at the same time and somewhat odd. Definitely not the sort of tail that a cat-girl/boy would be caught dead having.

Then, just to show how uncatlike a person can be, Dizzy walks up to one of the giant aphid and pokes it. "Nah, it's wax. Here."

Some of the wool is plucked off and brandished at the pixie. It definitely doesn't LOOK like mold. And it DOES look an awful lot like wax.

"I wonder if there are any giant ants tending to the giant aphid. That would be unpleasant,"
Dizzy muses. The aphid are the size of sheep. And ants are usually bigger than the aphid they tend. "I don't remember any giant bugs from Jack in the Beanstalk. Maybe some fairy tails are getting mixed?"

Meanwhile!

The cloud feels kind of damp.

Like laying in snow that isn't cold and feels way more like cotton candy. It's most important feature is the lack of birds falling on people who are minding their own buisness.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Gathering Place]

"An ancient city of the dwarven folk, called Oparul. Or at least this is the name that survived. It was a centre of powerful sorcery, but it's long gone now." Silent Feathers sighs. It's a wistful sound. Does he miss the days when this sorcery flourished? Not quite. But there's a certain inescapable nostalgia.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Well Training]

"Really? I didn't really think about what I was doing. I just felt the need to do it. Or to do something. I think I could have tried to control this feeling and then something else would have happened." It's a vague feeling but one she's fairly certain of. "I'm glad something more of him survives through me, then. I should test what powers he'll let me call on. Other than breathing fire."
Halae
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Halae »

[Well Training]

"That's pretty normal. Hey, you've got wings right now; why not try to lift off? Get some air?" Emily questions. It's unlikely to be true flight, as far as Emily is guessing, but it could at least be gliding, or a jump.
Halae#9979 on Discord if you need me. I'm forgetful, so don't be afraid to ping me asking me to get to posting.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Well Training]

"That does seem to be a theme when you channel various 'legends'." Ambrosia comments as Thariza describes how it simply came to her. "But you choose to not control it? Interesting." Frankly, dangerous in her opinion. But Thariza wasn't actually a dragon so she should probably cut her some slack.

"But yes, I'm quite eager to see what else you can do. If I had known you could connect to objects like this..."

Thariza will indeed be able to at least use the wings to lift herself off the ground. However, if she would do that it would also push away everyone nearby (unless they're Emily-sized of course). Then she'd be able to glide a fair distance.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Rebonack wrote: Jun 15, 2023 8:33 pm
Then, just to show how uncatlike a person can be, Dizzy walks up to one of the giant aphid and pokes it. "Nah, it's wax. Here."

Some of the wool is plucked off and brandished at the pixie. It definitely doesn't LOOK like mold. And it DOES look an awful lot like wax.

"I wonder if there are any giant ants tending to the giant aphid. That would be unpleasant,"
Dizzy muses. The aphid are the size of sheep. And ants are usually bigger than the aphid they tend. "I don't remember any giant bugs from Jack in the Beanstalk. Maybe some fairy tails are getting mixed?"

Meanwhile!

The cloud feels kind of damp.

Like laying in snow that isn't cold and feels way more like cotton candy. It's most important feature is the lack of birds falling on people who are minding their own business.

[Cloud Nine]

"You're also not trying to catch me," the pixie says, as more evidence that Dizzy's not a cat, in spite of the catlike mouth.

The pixie turns away once the wax is brandished at her.
She holds her breath...
...and then, gradually, looks at the brandished wax. She finally removes her hand. "Okay, I guess it's not mold," she admits. "Still weird. Do you think the ants are creating a wax museum in the castle, or something?" The pixie starts imagining what kinds of statues would be in an ant wax museum. Albert Antstein?

meanwhile

The woman lays there in the cloud.
The only bad thing about laying down in snow is how cold it is, so she finds this very exciting.

In fact, she starts making a snow angel! Well, a cloud angel.
Everywhere her hands touch, as well as under her neck, the cloud is stained black.
Well, in sunlight, the blackness slowly dissipates.

She gets up.
She looks at it, then laughs at the shape she left behind.
Then looks around the top of the cloud. "Huh...so where would she have gone?" she says aloud.

The woman then spots the castle in the distance. Of course. That's the most interesting thing visible, so of course she should go in that direction. The woman starts off in the direction of the castle, as well.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cloud Nine]

Despite the leonine mouth, yes. It definitely looks odd. A big mouth! Full of big lion teeth! But Dizzy's face is completely human. Weird!

"Not sure why I would be trying to catch a tiny person sitting on my shoulder. This is too novel and neat to ruin it by trying to smack you around for now reason," Dizzy points out. "Besides you seem pretty fast. You would probably just zip out of reach or something."

Seems like a pretty reasonable conclusion on Dizzy's part.

But wax!

Weird aphid wax.

"I'll bet that is EXACTLY what's going on. A castle fulla giant wax statues. Let's see what we can find,"
Dizzy says before venturing on. And not that much further on, honestly. Because right over the next cloud hill is a gazebo! A BIG gazebo! It looks like someone fashioned it out of sky and sunlight made solid. Or maybe just lapis stone and gold? Either way it's really nifty. There's furniture inside, too. Big furniture! Furniture that looks like it was made for someone about twelve feet tall! It even makes Dizzy look kind of scrawny by contrast and Dizzy is pretty tall.

There's a pair of sheers for cutting off wax. And a big basket full of wax. And some sort of loom made of gold, lapis, and clouds? The machine is happily chugging away, little white poofs of cloud swirling out of it every now and again. Hanging on a rack next to the cloud loom is a tapestry with notable sun motifs woven of blue, gold, and white. There's also a table with a bowl full of golden colored fruit. A gilded cage stands nearby with something that looks kind of like a pheasant inside it? Except the bird is on fire. This doesn't appear to bother the bird very much and it watches our heroes curiously.

It probably wants to eat the pixie. She's about eating size for a flaming pheasant.

No doubt the gazebo and cloud loom and fruit bowl and bird will be distracting enough for June to catch up.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Well Training]

Thariza steps away from the other two women before attempting to fly, just in case. This proves prudent when her liftoff causes a strong gust of wind. Her glide afterwards is... rather left than graceful and she lands in a tumble.

"Oof. Okay. Yeah, this will take some getting used to."
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

► quote
[Cloud Nine]

"I assure you, I am very catchable," the pixie claims. "A very nice catch." She tosses her hair back.

"I hope the wax statues don't come to life, that would be scary," she comments.
The pixie looks around the gazebo. The materials look nice, at least! But, even so, she still complains: "Some idiot made all the furniture way too big." She gets up and flies to a chair, and sits on it. "See? Too big." Not wanting to sit on a too-large chair, she flies to the table, landing on a fruit. She points at the pheasant. "Found your golden goose." That's what Dizzy wanted to find, right? Except it's more fire than gold, really. Luckily it's still inside the cage, otherwise the pixie would have to stick much closer to Dizzy for protection.

The woman, not distracted by the aphids or cloud-holes, keeps on walking. Eventually, yes, she does find the gazebo. Aha! "Gotcha."

Once the spooky woman gets close enough to notice the pixie (admittedly, due to the size of the pixie, that's remarkably close to the gazebo), she makes a clicking noise with her tongue and waves at the pixie.
The pixie sighs, and waves her arms a little.

Suddenly! The woman looks notably less spooky and more human. Normal red hair, normal hands, normal eyes, and so on.
It goes without saying that this woman, June, is shorter than Dizzy.
"Sorry for taking so long, there was a bird who stopped by for a cup of sugar," June says.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cloud Nine]

"Maybe a nice catch for someone who isn't a giant like me," Dizzy points out.

Or for someone who isn't regular human sized.

Maybe a butterfly sized person?

Dizzy hasn't ever met a butterfly sized person before so this is all pretty novel. But that's okay! Dizzy was hoping for some novelty which means everything is going according to plan. More or less. Basically.

"All this stuff is pretty giant sized. Like normal giant sized. As opposed to SHORT giant sized, like me," Dizzy muses. There's a current of laughing at one's self, there. Dizzy thinks that being a short giant is funny. Like a tiny giant spider. Still the size of a cat, still technically, giant, but the name just sounds funny. "And I think that might be a phoenix. Or at least it's supposed to be. Hey bird, can you talk?"

The bird doesn't reply.

Maybe it can't talk.

Or maybe it's just rude.

But then! Some things happen!

Clicking! And arm waving! And all of a sudden looking like a normal humaning! All very unusual.

"That was pretty unusual."

See?

Dizzy agrees with the narration.

"The bird wasn't a vulture, was it? Because if it was it had really bad taste in music," Dizzy says, sharing a vital detail with June.

The jokes are, as it happens, a good excuse to give Dizzy some time to try to figure out what's going on here. Because there is definitely something going on here. Is this lady nephilim? That would be really strange on a couple counts. The first and most obvious one being that Dizzy has literally never met a single nephilim shorter than yours truly. The other part is the fact that 'spooky looking' doesn't really fit into the neat little boxes Dizzy is familiar with when it comes to celestial lines of descent. Usually a nephilim has some resemblance to their celestial progenitor. And generically spooky doesn't really fit the bill.

There is WITHOUT QUESTION something odd going on with this place. As if the castle and giant aphid hadn't proven that already.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Cloud Nine]

"If you can't catch someone smaller than you, you're just not trying hard enough," the pixie claims. In comparison to Dizzy, the pixie has met several giant people. Nearly everyone she meets is giant!

June counters with a, "You're pretty unusual," and finishes approaching the gazebo.
She holds her hand out by the table, and gestures for the pixie to fly into her hand. "Unfortunately, the bird didn't stick around long enough for me to ask its species. It was more of a hit-and-run, really," the woman - who at the moment does not look spooky anymore and instead just looks normal-androgynous, coincidentally much like Dizzy.

The pixie, of course, sticks her tongue out at June. "I found a better, cooler person to ride," she says, flying up and going to land on Dizzy's shoulder again.

June sticks her tongue out, back at the pixie.
Then, now that she's closer, gets a good look at Dizzy.
And then steps closer.
And then looks at all the large furniture.
And then back at Dizzy again.
Geeze, everything here is weirdly throwing off her sense of scale and perspective. From a distance, in comparison to all this gazebo furniture, Dizzy looked really short and not too distant. But now that they're up close, June can tell that Dizzy is huge. Well over two feet taller than June is!
June sighs. "Has anyone ever told you you're way too tall?" she says.
(The pixie, pretending that was being spoken to her, replies, "Yup, I get that all the time.")

June walks over to the loom to check out what it's made out of. And then tries to grab some of the cloud poofs that it's pumping out.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cloud Nine]

Did the pixie mean-
Or wait, no.

Okay definitions just changed in the middle of that statement no real reason to go wriggling with that one.

"I'm well within the bounds of normal for someone who's weird," Dizzy points out. "For example. I'm short but not tiny. Also I can do this-"

With a dramatic FWUMP! Dizzy's wings snap open! While standing carefully to avoid smacking said wings into the support pillars of the gazebo. When you've got a wing-span of about twenty four feet you really need to be careful you FWUMP! them because otherwise they'll smack into things and that hurts.

"-which is looks like you can't? But your tiny friend can. I'm starting to suspect-"
Dizzy folds those wings again, shoulders rolling to get them comfortable.
"-that I must have gotten kicked clean through a wall into Narnia. Pixies and cloud castles seem very Narnia. Only I'm not sure if Narnia had any giants living in cloud castles. Where there giants in any of those books?"

That takes some serious consideration.

Then a snap of the fingers!

"Right! There were some in the Silver Chair, I think. Throwing rocks for the fun of it. Come to think of it, I think Janis was supposed to be one of Lilith's kids, too. Hmm..."

That's very hmm... worthy.

"Right, anyway, usually people tell me I'm way too short if those people are other giants. Or regular humans who are used to giants being like-"
Dizzy stands on tip-toes and reaches one wing WAAAAY up to indicate someone approximately twelve feet tall. "Big. I'm a runt. But a COOL runt. As your pixie pall has so perceptively WAIT!"

All of a sudden there's a huge smile on Dizzy's face.

"Is Aslan going to show up? Or something like that?"

Dizzy is now looking over one shoulder, just in case a talking lion had suddenly materialized somewhere nearby.

June tries grabbing some cloud poofs, successfully as it happens. It feels like cotton candy, except kind of wet instead of sticky. That's probably preferable, since it is WAY easier to get wet out of clothing than it is to get sticky out.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Cloud Nine]

June takes a step away once the wings snap open.
That is a pretty massive wingspan, actually. It's huge!

"Ummmmm..." she says instead of making a comment on whether they were giants in Narnia. She doesn't know, so not saying anything is the best she can do.
"Lilith's a pretty name," the pixie comments. "It's like Lily but Lil-ish."

June squishes and stretches the cloud poofs. Feels nice, actually. Would make a great snowball, she thinks. "If you want to be a giant, you should probably grow a dozen times taller," she says aloud, even though it was meant to be a thought. Dizzy isn't giant! Or short. She's just tall.

Once Dizzy starts looking around for Aslan, the pixie also starts looking around, hoping to spot Aslan first. "What's Aslan look like, anyway?" maybe they could catch it.

June, however, sighs. And she walks over to the phoenix cage. She holds out the poofy wet cloud to the phoenix, to see if it'll eat the cloud. "Hey, pretty bird, you want some?" Then, louder, June adds, "Probably not going to meet anyone that interesting. At best, we'll probably find a couple ogres holding lightning bolts and a pet cat, or something like that." Not quite as unique as Aslan.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cloud Nine]

Enormous!

Dizzy is very proud of them. They're great for flying Also great for wrapping around one's self. And itching your ear with the little thumb claw thing that isn't really used at all for flight.

Like have you ever been carrying something really heavy in both arms and then your nose started itching?

Well if you had a really big pair of wings like Dizzy you could use your wing's dew-claw to itch your nose!

It's a vitally important ability.

"I GUESS it's a pretty name but Lilith is a piece of work, let me tell you. She and her sweetheart Samyaza think the world is a prison and want to destroy it. Do YOU want the world destroyed?" Dizzy asks, pointing a finger at Nina the pixie. "I bet you don't. The world's probably where you keep all your stuff. It sure is where I keep all MY stuff."

Technically all of Dizzy's stuff is in that backpack. But the backpack is in the world so close enough.

"You can be a giant without being thirty feet tall!" Dizzy retorts. Then visibly counts on one hand. "Or... a dozen times bigger than me would be... what? Like about ninety feet tall? I don't think giants even GET that big."

A beat.

"Wait. I think we're talking about different things? So I'm talking about people who had a mom who got... y'know... by a celestial. Like me. There's another name for us but it's kinda negative? Which... I mean I guess it isn't wrong to be kinda negative since most giants are on Lil or Hailael's side but it isn't like every single one of us is an irredeemable monster. I'm not just talking about dudes who are the size of an office building. That kinda giant would be HUGE. Can you imagine a guy that huge? Just stomping around danging where everyone can see 'em? Because I don't think you're going to find pants that big anywhere."

But that is way less important than looking for-

"Big lion guy from the Narnia books. Created the world? In the books, I mean. Obviously a talking lion didn't actually create the world. Unless this is Narnia, I guess?" Dizzy sort of rambles. Thus far no divine lions are making themselves known which is kind of a shame.

BUT THEN!

June asks the phoenix a question.

"No," says the bird.

Huh.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Cloud Nine]

Sadly, neither Nina the pixie nor June have ever considered itching their nose with wings.

"I don't have any stuff," the pixie comments. She reaches towards Dizzy's finger, since it's pointing at her. "Maybe if I had stuff, I would consider that, but also maybe prisons need to be destroyed?' she suggests.

"Not that I'm saying I think the world should be destroyed, it's just I don't have any stuff," she repeats, hinting that it would be nice to receive some stuff.

June tosses the cloud.
If the bird doesn't want it, what's the point of it? "Huh.'
She goes over to the table and grabs one of the golden colored fruit.. She brings it over to the phoenix's cage and mimes 'tossing the fruit to the bird'.

She looks back at Dizzy. "Are most giants you know thirty feet tall?" she asks. She looks back at the bird to see if the bird wants the gold fruit. "Yeah, I don't know most the things you're talking about. Never heard of 'em. Celestial? I thought that was an adjective. If not for your wings, I'd just say you're really tall. Kinda weird how a lion would create the world, though, even in a book."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Cloud Nine]

It's one of those things that you never really consider because you never realize that it was ever a possibility.

"Well, the world isn't a prison Lil' is just crazy," Dizzy replies. And then digs around in that backpack for a bit before coming up with a spool of blue thread. Just pull some thread out and snap it and hand it to the pixie! "There, now you've got some stuff."

See?

Problem solved!

Now the pixie has a really good reason for not wanting the world to be destroyed!

It's just normal thread but to a pixie it may as well be a piece of rope.

"No, most giants are around twelve or so. I'm just a runt,"
Dizzy says. June can probably hear in Dizzy's voice that 'runt' is a term of disdain that Dizzy has adopted to make it sting a little less. Depending on how good June is at picking up on subtle verbal cues and body language. "I guess angel works too but that... implies stuff that I don't think is quite right. There are different sorts of things that live in heaven and they're not all angels."

Some are very much NOT angels.

"Well, in the book the lion Aslan is supposed to represent Logos, right? Since it's a book for kids and full of literary allusions and allegories and stuff. The lion creates the world by singing, which seems pretty cool to me,"
Dizzy reasons.

The bird eyes the fruit with disdain. "Feed me the tiny person."

"Hell no I'm not feeding you Nina we're besties now," Dizzy retorts.
Thursday Violist
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

[Cloud Nine]

The pixie greedily grabs the cordlike thread.
She doubles it up and wraps it around her waist and ties a weird knot. "Hey, look! I'm azul now! she declares, doing a twirl on Dizzy's shoulder.
She looks over at June, sticks her tongue out again, and then says, "What are you at, yellow or something?"

Without looking, June says, "It matches your cap and dress."

Nina lies down on Dizzy's shoulder again, and puts her head in her hands. "It's working, I already feel like I don't want the world destroyed anymore." She looks at Dizzy, then over at June. "Honestly, you're both waaaaaay too big. It's a wonder both of you can even breathe with your heads so high up in the sky. And you're saying there's people even taller than you? Don't their brains need air or something? That sounds ridiculous."

She stands up and compassionately pats Dizzy on the ear. "It's okay, I'm a runt, too."

June puts the fruit back on the table, then returns to the phoenix. To Dizzy, she says, "Not long ago, I met someone who called herself an angel, too."
She glances back at Dizzy and the pixie to make sure they're not paying too close of attention, and returns her attention to the phoenix. She leans close, and places her hand up on the fire-bird's cage. June holds her hand against the cage, and black inky nightmares start dripping from it. And, since they're under the pavilion and not in direct sunlight, the blackness doesn't start disappearing. Instead, the blackness starts dripping and beading up and growing mouths and making really really quiet moaning sounds.
"I won't give up my prey to you," she whispers to the bird. In the middle of her hand, a mouth opens, with an endless void with starlight inside it and terrifyingly sharp teeth.
June looks back at Dizzy and Nina, and the mouth on her hand continues speaking in a whisper that feels like it's everything wrong with the world: "But I'm willing to let you have her if you first let me devour you."

As that happens, the pixie glances over, then decides to draw Dizzy's attention again. She gets up and flies in front of Dizzy's face to look at it better, and to keep it facing away from the phoenix's direction. "I don't know who Logos is, either. Who is she? If she's supposed to be the lion, is she also good at singing?"

Then, June's hand flashes with a bright light, and all the semi-conscious black liquid vanishes.