Home

Personal homes and private lots.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Re: Home

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jun 16, 2023 1:05 pm [Codebreaker's Home]

The child(?) turns around to face the specter. Revealing that they're clad in a round white mask with a smiley face crudely drawn on it.
It's eye-holes are positively tiny, making it impossible to see the eyes of whoever is behind it. Though it should really make them effectively blind as well yet they seem to be aware enough of the world around them to be able to tell where the specter is.

Their hands are covered in cheap green monster gloves made of plastic which they stick down into their bag to fish out a plastic card with a simple line scribbled on it with what must be the same pen they used to make the smiley face.

They hold it up over their head, clearly presenting it to the blue servant.

CaNDY?

It's curious that they didn't even seem a little startled by the ghosts sudden appearance. Their movements rather stilted and cumbersome. Not really the energetic movements of a child.
If this stranger is able to speak they choose not to and will soon turn to face the door and knock on it again if the apparition doesn't give them any more information.
[Codebreaker's Home]

Oh. Damn.

Owena hadn't counted on the possibility that her little visitor might be mute. That threw a wrench in her plan; she wouldn't be able to hear its response through the door, and the apparition, being little more than an image, can't actually read the card.

But with the implication that the creepy kid might actually have genuine business here, she can't turn them away until she knows what it is.

Owena takes a moment to speed up her breathing trying to make it sound like she's a little out of breath. She takes a few quiet steps back from the door before loudly running toward it, undoing the latch and opening it to reveal a hurried-looking maid to the guest on the other side. "Sorry about that." She pants. "The owner's not in right now. How can I help you?"

If all that happens is that the kids shows her the candy card again, she'll just give a tired smile and shake her head. "Sorry. We don't actually have any in the house this time of year. It's really more of a Spooktober thing."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Codebreaker's Home]

The kid(???) turns back to the door and does present the sign to her as well once Owena opens it. Holding it as far above their head as possible as if afraid that she isn't going to see it otherwise.
However, this time when they do it something falls out from a hole in the back of the sack. Several somethings actually. Practically a horde of them.
These things drop down on the ground and then under the cover of the bag starts skittering towards the door while Owena is looking at the sign.

They are attempting to not brush past her if they manage to get through the door. Yet regardless of how stealthy they manage to be it probably won't be long until she notices them.

It's a horde of what first glance appears to be white centipedes but at closer inspection actually are made up of human teeth...
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Codebreaker's Home]

The centipedes get maybe five seconds before Owena notices the sound of dozens of tiny teeth on the pavement. Granted, if they're fast, that's plenty of time to let a nuisance-sized population into the house, but the remainder will be confronted with a eldritch blue flame and a furious strigoi.

"All right. Out." Owena snaps, her face wreathed in the unearthly glow of the burning doorframe.

And with that, she slams the door shut on the intruder.

Great. Now she has a pest problem she needs to handle before her boss gets back. Serves her right for being friendly.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Codebreaker's Home]

Owena doesn't need to tell the masked stranger twice as the moment it's clear that the centipedes have been spotted they just drop the sack on the ground, along with the sign, and flees.
But this point the entire bag is getting torn open. Revealing the fact it was filled with nothing but centipedes which all attempt to rush the door.
A fair amount of them are hit by the flames and the rest get the door slammed in their antennas. However, a good amount still managed to get past the threshold first as they're pretty fast.
A few starts climbing up Owena's legs while others just skitter deeper inside the building, trying to get to some kind of cover as soon as possible.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Codebreaker's Home]

Hmph. What a rude little shit.

Owena sighs and shakes her head, waving the thought away. It's not the first time she's had to reckon with some local kid's prank. The shrine used to get egged and tp'd all the time. This is... a touch more annoying, but not otherwise much worse.

The strigoi kneels and plucks one of the centipedes off of her leg, letting it wriggle between her fingers as she moves toward the kitchen, looking for a convenient jar to put the creature into. Any other centipede she sees on the way is going to find themselves on the receiving end of those blue flames she seems to like so much.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jun 16, 2023 7:51 am [Bellamy Apartment]

Obriane turns to Ana and Eliseo. "I... need you to go and check on Kitty. I'll take care of the babies, alright? Give her a hug since she needs it." She will try to pull both and and the children into a big awkward hug before gently trying to take them off her hands.. "We all need it right now."

The sound of sirens get ever closer and it sounds like the police just arrived outside the apartment building.
Arkhosia wrote: Jun 16, 2023 2:05 pm [Bellamy Apartment]

Anastasia only manages to pull away from her own inner turmoil once Obriane addresses her, lifting eyes red with tears and starting to ease out of the death grip she has on her own shoulders. It's only now that she realizes the look in Eliseo's eyes and feels a hot lance of guilty empathy rip through her core.

"I- I'm sorry- I'm sorry its all my fault I should've -" the girl babbles into her mother's embrace, not entirely sure whether the words are for her or Eliseo. Should've what? Grabbed her sword and run out there, tried to fight it instead of hiding like the coward she is? No, she could never make a dent against that thing - maybe she should have just let the yokai take her. What it would do to her would hurt and she'd never be able to look Eliseo in the eye again, but maybe it would be satisfied and her family would be safe. Probably not though; it would keep hunting her, no matter what she gave it.

"I- okay," Anastasia answers after a long moment, as if only just registering what's been asked of her. She pulls away and lingers with one last look at Eliseo, feeling so utterly at a loss as to how to comfort him before opting to reach out and give his hand a reassuring squeeze. There's a fleeting flicker of a smile, an attempt to be his comforting and stable rock as if she hadn't been dashed to pieces minutes before, and then she turns and leaves to find Kitty. Once she does, she'll wordlessly reach out and pull her mom into an anxious hug, burying her face against her in a grim repeat of their conversation earlier that morning.
[Bellamy Apartment]

Eliseo helps hand the two infants off to Obriane, which is definitely for the best. He doesn't know what to do with them, and he's not equipped to figure it out right now. He stands up just after Ana does, looking just tired more than anything as the earlier adrenaline starts dying down. "Uh, I'll be right here." He assures, letting her hand slip away reluctantly.

Ana will find Kitsuki upstairs in the master bedroom, seated on the edge of the bed. She looks like every ounce of energy in her body has been leeched out of her. The lingering fear and ramping guilt are like a burden on her shoulders, dragging her toward the ground.

She looks up as the girl enters, and barely has time to muster words before she embraced. "Hey, sweetie. It's going to be okay." She sooths as she embraces Ana in return. She rubs her daughter's back to accompany her words.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Bellamy Apartment]

Obriane moves around the apartment making sure all the children were okay as Ana and Eliseo heads up to check on Kitty. Giving out hugs, bottles, pacifiers and changes of diapers as needed.

Outside it sounds like the police are entering the building and there are some cries of relief from their other neighbors who seemed to have holding their breath until now. It will however be a while until there are developments that are relevant to the Bellamy family & Eliseo.
Unless of course they decide to finally open the door of course. It does seem clear that the creature visiting them isn't around any more.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ironsmith wrote: Jun 16, 2023 8:05 pm [Codebreaker's Home]

Hmph. What a rude little shit.

Owena sighs and shakes her head, waving the thought away. It's not the first time she's had to reckon with some local kid's prank. The shrine used to get egged and tp'd all the time. This is... a touch more annoying, but not otherwise much worse.

The strigoi kneels and plucks one of the centipedes off of her leg, letting it wriggle between her fingers as she moves toward the kitchen, looking for a convenient jar to put the creature into. Any other centipede she sees on the way is going to find themselves on the receiving end of those blue flames she seems to like so much.
[Codebreaker's Home]

These creatures are a bit more dangerous that your regular centipede as despite their frightening appearances, most species aren't actually dangerous to humans in spite of the fact that all of them are venomous.

These are not venomous but the pointed edges of the roots of the teeth they're made up of have been sharpened into little daggers more than capable of breaking human skin. This is of course not a concern to a person who have survived having their head taken clean off but it is likely painful as the toothipedes attempts to stab her with all its many jagged limbs.

She will nonetheless manage to capture one of them in a glass jar despite a fierce resistance from the little creature.

The rest are being burned as they are spotted, which is why they're trying to scurry into parts of the apartment where its humanoid inhabitants can't see or reach. Tiny spaces where they can hide away until they're called upon again.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bellamy Apartment]

Ana lingers for a long moment, some of the anxiety in her breathing starting to slow - but there's still worry in her eyes as she finally looks up. "I- Mom, it knew where we lived, I-" the girl shivers in her arms. "It's not safe for me to be here," she mutters - and Kitsuki might understand that she doesn't mean safe for her.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bellamy Apartment]

"Ana, sweetie. I will not accept that thing being a danger to any of us. At least here we can protect ourselves and be prepared." Kitsuki says, doing her best to put on a strong face and reassure her daughter. "You didn't do anything to ask for this; it's not your burden to bear. We'll deal with this as a family. Understand?"
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Bellamy Apartment]

There's sounds of Obriane moving around in the apartment below but there's also sounds of people, likely the police, moving around outside. Soon followed by shouts but after that there's no sounds of any fighting or gunshots. So at the very least they're spared of that.

The creature might just have left.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Bellamy Apartment]

"I do it's just - all I've ever done since you've adopted me is give you problems and-" A sniffle. Gods, this isn't what Kitty needs right now. What is she doing? She's not the only one hurting here. How can be so selfish- "I, um- I'm sorry."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: Jun 17, 2023 9:54 am [Codebreaker's Home]

These creatures are a bit more dangerous that your regular centipede as despite their frightening appearances, most species aren't actually dangerous to humans in spite of the fact that all of them are venomous.

These are not venomous but the pointed edges of the roots of the teeth they're made up of have been sharpened into little daggers more than capable of breaking human skin. This is of course not a concern to a person who have survived having their head taken clean off but it is likely painful as the toothipedes attempts to stab her with all its many jagged limbs.

She will nonetheless manage to capture one of them in a glass jar despite a fierce resistance from the little creature.

The rest are being burned as they are spotted, which is why they're trying to scurry into parts of the apartment where its humanoid inhabitants can't see or reach. Tiny spaces where they can hide away until they're called upon again.
[Codebreaker's Home]

So the kid brought some particularly aggravating species of centipede here. Owena doesn't see these things doing much real harm; they're probably on the level of wasps in terms of threat level. All the same, she's sure her boss would be rightly pissed if he came home and she'd let a hive of them into the building.

What follows is, from her perspective at least, tedious but simple work. Once the centipede is in the jar, it takes only a simple spell- a cantrip, really- to make it into a useful tool for hunting down the others. When the jar is close to another centipede, it glows; the closer, the brighter. Like used to find like.

Starting in the entrance hall, Owena will start the work of individually hunting down each centipede she can; while it's very unlikely she'll find them all, especially if they're intelligent enough to avoid detection, she can at least put a dent in their numbers.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bellamy Apartment]

"You're not causing me problems. You're having problems, and I care about you so I'm going to help you with them." Kitsuki corrects. Then she sighs. "But this night isn't over yet. Stay here right now. I'll be back as soon as I can."

She shifts Ana so the girl is sitting on the edge of the bed, than gives her one more quick hug before leaving the room. Shortly after she does, Eliseo steps in sheepishly. "Hey." he almost asks how she's doing, but that question seems dumb right now. Instead he sits down next to her and pulls her against him.

Meanwhile Kitsuki heads downstairs after having suggested the waiting boy go in the room, and positions herself near the front door. She leans against the back of the couch and lets out another deep sigh as she waits.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Codebreaker's Home]

That spell will certainly be helpful in hunting them down. After just little more than half an hour she has hunted down over two dozen of them. Yet there does seem to be more somewhere nearby. Though going after them might require tearing up some of the interior of the building.
She have already had to move furniture and reach into some pretty small places to get the ones she's exterminated so far.
The question is how far she's willing to go in her hunt without her boss's permission.

[Bellamy Apartment]

Obriane is already down there waiting.
"Uh, how did it go?" She inquires as she attempts to take the kitsunes hands. "With Ana I mean."

Kitty will just have time to answer that question before there's a knock at the door.
A normal yet firm pounding sound.
Atsede would have been familiar with this particular knock.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Codebreaker's Home]

Well, two dozen certainly isn't anything to sneeze at. She's not sure how many got in, but it was probably not much more than that.

Still, leaving centipedes in the walls (the jar glowing at those spots leaves little room for doubt) doesn't very much appeal to her. She could try calling an exterminator once it's a decent hour again... but she should at least warn Codebreaker before doing that.

Maybe she could modify a scouring spell. Make it vaporize any more of these centipedes, as opposed to dust in hard-to-reach corners.

No, no, it's too risky. If she does this wrong, she could end up burning down the house or systematically removing every nail from its boards or... or something. The error potential is too great.

Maybe she could set a lure? That's what the exterminators would probably end up doing anyway, right? Put out some of the centipedes' favorite food in a glue trap or something, let them get caught and the problem handles itself.

Great. Except she has no idea what these things eat.

"Well, little guy." Owena mutters, carrying the jar to the upstairs study. "You and I are going to get to know each other really well."

Pleasant times will be had by all, certainly.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Bellamy Apartment]

Ana doesn't have much to say as Kitsuki leaves and Eliseo joins her; only a nod, a sniffle and a pale smile before she pulls her legs up, closes her eyes and snuggles up against his side. Not talking is good right now.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bellamy Apartment]

Kitsuki shakes her head. "I don't know. I don't know how to help her. She's gone through so much." The thought is interrupted by the knock at the door. Here we go. She pushes herself up and cracks it open warily. The person outside will be greeted with a small look at her through the barely open door.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Bellamy Apartment]

Kitty is greeted by a pointy-eared dusk-skinned woman in uniform that leans in to get a better look at the kitsune through the crack in the door. "Is everyone in there uninjured, miss?"

She can't see anyone else but she can hear more people in the stairwell talking. Sounds like the police is taking statements from their neighbors.

Obriane moves in right behind Kitty and tries to look over her until she realizes how silly it probably looks and steps back.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bellamy Apartment]

Kitsuki examines this newcomer carefully. Does not appear to be a spirit to any of her senses at least. That doesn't mean her guard is down. "No one was harmed in here. It wasn't able to enter." She explained tersely.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Bellamy Apartment]

The woman does indeed not read as a spirit to her kitsune senses.
Though with Kitty's experience in the field she knows that some spirits can hide inside someone's body without her being able to detect them. This is rarely the case of "possession" as depicted in popular culture however as in that case it's usually easy to tell in other ways. Spirits just tended to influence their hosts to a degree and they might not even be aware of them.

Though in the case of the spirit that just attacked, that seems unlikely. Far too aggressive.
Obriane had attempted to classify various spirits in order to make their business seem more legitimate and in this case she would probably call it a Ijiraq. A word for a evil spirit creature which her grandmother had told her about.

"Good to hear you're all healthy at the very least. I don't think anyone in the building is actually okay though after what just happened." Her words are emphasized by the sound of crying children in a nearby apartment. As if her own hadn't been enough.
"I'm detective Ava Farstride of the EPD (Eastside Police Department) and I had a few questions for you and your family if that's alright? I know that you're probably not in the best mental space right now but it's crucial that we get your statements while they're still fresh in your mind."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bellamy Apartment]

Even when a spirit possesses someone, Kitsuki's nose is keen to the scent of spirit. The fact she only picks up lingering leftovers sooths her somewhat.

Somewhat. This is still not where she wants to be right now. She opens the door a bit more, but still her body blocks the entire opening. "What kind of questions do you have?" She prompts.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Bellamy Apartment]

"I just want to understand what happened here so we can catch the culprit. You're not suspected for anything, miss." Ava's expression can best be described as 'neutral'. She doesn't smile but still comes off as not-unfriendly.

A beat.

"But if it makes you more comfortable you can always come out here instead. I would prefer to talk to all adults and teenagers in the household however regardless of how you're wanting to do this. The more information we have the better."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bellamy Apartment]

"My daughter is suffering enough after this. She doesn't need to be interrogated too." Kitsuki replies, her rebuke firm but not aggressive. Nothing good can come out of Ana being further pressed while she's in such a fragile state.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Bellamy Apartment]

"While I normally would grant that request miss Bellamy, there are circumstances here." A beat.
"I guess I'll be plain, your daughters name is Anastasia Bellamy, correct?" Ava's eyebrow is raised, though her expression betrays a hint of discomfort.
As Kitty confirms this Ava continues. "Her name was found written in the victims apartment, likely by the culprit. So I'm afraid I will have to ask her questions specifically as there seems to be a link between her and the culprit. Again, she's not suspected of anything. It's just a lead that has to be followed up on as I'm sure you understand."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bellamy Apartment]

Kitsuki's face contorts in a grimace. "Fine, but you can't talk to her without me present." She insists, crossing her arms in a defiant stance.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Bellamy Apartment]

"That's not really the departments policy but we can try." Ava relents. "First I'd like to ask you a few questions though. Do you want to come out here or should I come in? I'd prefer the second option but it's up to you. Continuing this conversation through a doorway is out of the question though I'm afraid."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bellamy Apartment]

Kitsuki's jaw sets for a moment, but then she relents and steps back. "Fine, come in." Thankfully all the children and teens are still in the bedrooms, and won't be coming out per her instructions. "Ask your questions." She prompts when the door is closed.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Bellamy Apartment]

Obriane, who has been listening in to this entire conversation, quickly gets out of the way as Kitty invites Ava inside.
The detective takes a casual look around the hallway and gives the changeling a curt nod. "Hello, I apologize for the inconvenience, Mrs. Bellamy."

"Oh, it's fine, it's fine." A beat as Obriane gestures into the apartment. Looking as out of place as she felt right now. Still being in her pajamas which she yet had wiped the baby drool off. "Should I be here for this, or...?"

"Well-" Ava fishes up a notebook and a pen out of her pocket in one swift motion. "-while you are here, which one of you put up the ward on your front door?" She looks between the pair and Obriane raises her hand before realizing it made her look like a school girl and quickly puts it down again.

"...uh, that'd be me. While it's always good to have your apartment warded I have this condition that makes me vulnerable to spirit influence." A beat."...which is why it's there."

Ava nods and scrawls something. "And you warded all your windows too?" The detective gestures out into the apartment. She can't see any of the windows of course from here but the wards are visible from the outside.

"Oh, no. That'd be Kitty." Obriane points to her fiancee. "Why'd you ask?"

"Trying to determine possible motives of the culprit." Ava takes her pen off the paper and gestures to Obriane. "However, I'd like to avoid giving you leading information or questions so I'd prefer a less casual exchange if that's fine with you. It would also mean that you would be rid off me sooner."
Her gaze briefly shifts to Kitty as she mentions this.

"Ah... yeah, t-that'd make sense I think."

"Thank you. Now-" She puts the pen back, ready to make another note. "-do you have any idea why the culprit stopped before your door specifically? Since it was the only warded door in the building as far as I know."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[Bellamy Apartment]

Kitsuki glances at Obriane, then fields this question. "We don't know exactly why, or what this thing really is. Our daughter did mention that she felt like she might have been followed or watched when she came home last night. But we had no way to know something like this would happen. We didn't really know how to react in the first place." She explains. "We can't really be sure it's related to this at all." She adds with a moment of additional thought.
~Images by Soushiyo