Home

Personal homes and private lots.
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Home

Post by Ironsmith »

[Butterfly Bay]

Arne stops at the end of the driveway, quietly surprised at how short the journey had been. He expected they would be on a lengthy trek, one that would last the time he needed to gather his thoughts and calm his nerves.

"...To be completely honest..." Arne begins, still standing there. "I do not believe I am. In less than a day, I have learned first that my fiance is alive, then that she is close, and then that she is in distress. If there is another surprise waiting for me on the other side of that door, I fear my heart is not strong enough to withstand it."

"...But I did not come here to stand by while she suffers. Whether I am ready or not is of no bearing."

With that, Arne purposefully walks up to Codebreaker's door and gives is a sharp knock.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Butterfly Bay]

"I'm afraid there likely is some kind of surprise waiting for you beyond that door, sir. The nexus is filled to the brim with them." Jaahlyn remarks before falling silent behind the knight. Trying to at least be seen behind him. So if the door wasn't opened by Siana then they wouldn't just see the terrifying knight.

While her own appearance wasn't the most reassuring either she was pretty sure Arne had her beat in looking demonic.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Butterfly Bay - Codebreaker's House

Well this depends a lot on you, Arne.

Is a fairly massive wolf-man in a hawaiian shirt and shorts who's somehow almost as tall as you are opening the door with an exceptionally raised eyebrow a surprise?
"Do I know y- oh spirits" Codebreaker gags almost right in Arne's face. To his credit he recovers quickly.
"The rascal just had to give me back the enhanced senses. Ugh. I know that armor, and I know that tendency to live it it without showering. You're Maesdan, aren't you? You here for Kyrie or the kids?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Codebreaker's House]

"Warm greetings for you, as well." Arne replies, the gurgle in his voice obscuring exactly whether he's being facetious or not. "And I am here for someone else entirely." He steps aside so Codebreaker has a clear view of Jaahlyn. "Miss Hesperos tells me this is where I may find Siana of the house of Maldwyn. Is that correct?"

The black-armored knight takes a deep sniff, but he can't seem to pick up anything but what smells like a basket of fruit. Or... is that the wolfman? What on Absae's green earth did he do, fall into a punch bowl?

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Codebreaker's House]

A wolf.
Why did it have to be a wolf?

She had suspected it would be though. This street was riddled with them.
The satyr steps to the side. Now preferring to remain behind Arne as the wolf man didn't seem to fear him. He could do the talking for now.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Codebreaker's House

"That would be kiddo number two, yes." Codebreaker says. "And it's called shampoo, for the record." he adds to the unspoken comment.
"My name is Codebreaker. For now. It's complicated. Anyway. The Ty-Maldwyns are under my protection. So I must ask a very important question: Who's asking?" The wolfen is clearly trying to take this seriously.

Poor goat-lady. This is not the town for her. Codebreaker would smile but he's fairly sure his teeth would make that worse.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Codebreaker's House]

Arne briefly glances back at Jaahlyn as he hears her shuffle back behind him, quietly stepping back to prevent her from concealing herself all the way. Hiding isn't going to do either of them any good, especially since she's the binding thread here. And besides, if the wolf-man terrifies her despite being unwilling (or unable, if Arne has anything to say about it) to harm her... isn't that more reason to stay in sight? To get used to the idea of standing near him without being attacked?

Honestly, if he focused on this any more, Arne might make the comparison to a small child.

"A fair question." Arne acknowledges, returning his attention to Codebreaker. "My name is Arne, of the house of Skuld. I am Siana's betrothed."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Codebreaker's House]

What was he... urk.
This was getting ridiculous.
"...I'm Jaahlyn Hesperos. Siana and I know one another. We talked on the phone not long ago." She introduces herself without her usual formal bow. Instead standing rather stiffly in place as she refuses to take her black eyes off Codebreaker.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Codebreaker's House

"...give me just a moment."
Codebreaker shuts the door.

...if the pair's hearing is especially astute they might be able to hear the wolf-man inside.
"Siana, there's a Jaahlyn at the door for you, and some guy who says you're engaged. Are you engaged? Is that a thing that happened?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Codebreaker's House]

"...Sort of. I'm... not entirely clear on that. Give me a moment..."

The sound will be followed by a rustle of fabric, the sound of shoes hitting the floor, and the rhythmic clop-tk of Siana's gait as she approaches the door.

When it opens again, the young strigoi gives Jaahlyn a small, welcoming smile, that just barely doesn't make it up to her eyes. "...Hey." She manages to say, the singular word tumbling out of her mouth with all the weight of a cast-iron pan.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Codebreaker's House]

"Hey." Jaahlyn replies softly as she smiles back. "So, before we talk there's someone here that wants to see you." She looks to Arne. "This is Arne, he claims to be your fiancee."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Codebreaker's House]

"...Yeah. Yeah, you, um... mentioned him." Siana pauses a moment, looking the massive knight up and down. "...If that is actually him, I mean."

Arne says nothing, but stands there stoically.

"...Um... sir?" Siana tilts her head. "...Sir?"

Arne's helmet shakes side to side briefly. "My apologies." He manages. "I'm afraid I was momentarily distracted. Miss Hesperos did not inform me that you... ah..."

"...Yes?"

"...That you would be so beautiful." Arne finishes meekly.

If he'd ever earned any divine favor in his life, Arne would greatly appreciate it if Absum would smite him now.

Siana looks back over to Jaahlyn, then to Codebreaker, her face flushed to the rough hue of a cherry. "...Maybe, um... you two should come in. If that's all right." She says, addressing that last part to her host.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Codebreaker's House

"Yeah, I'll get a room set up. I admit it'll be nice to use the sitting rooms for people that aren't just your family."

Codebreaker walks away, leaving Siana to show the guests in. He'll go to get one of the nicer (read: less used) set up with enough chairs and such. The inside of the massive house is very clean and not quite cluttered, but clearly lived in. Everything seems either very expensive, or something Codebreaker just needed and left out without much of a second thought. He doesn't have an interior designer.
Of course, if Owena is in she may attempt to prevent her boss from doing the kind of work she's theoretically supposed to be doing for him.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Codebreaker's House

Oh right, her glamour.
Jaahlyn had forgotten to mention that part to Arne.
Of course hadn't really thought it was relevant as Siana should be able to appear as whatever she wanted to. But now that she gave it more thought she hadn't even been sure if it would work on someone like Arne.
Indeed, considering what he was she couldn't be sure if he saw her as a bug lady or what the glamour told him she looked like.

"Of course." Jaahlyn replies, trying to act cool despite the awkwardness of the situation. It was almost painful watching the two interact right now.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Codebreaker's House]

Ordinarily, Owena's quite diligent about maintaining the house, and she'd be all over the guests... but she's been, to put it politely, busy these past few hours. At the moment, Codebreaker and company will be able to see her over in the kitchen, busily running through the cabinets and pantry as she tries to whip up a plate of appetizers that accommodates the needs of every guest in the other room, as well as her boss. Mixing live feeding and traditional foods doesn't seem to be doing her much good in that regard.

Siana, for her part, limps up to the table and mumbles a brief thanks to Codebreaker before mounting her chair, taking a sidesaddle position and setting her cane to the side. Arne sits directly opposite her, carefully pulling back a chair and attempting to seat himself without crushing it; a much easier feat than he initially gives it credit for, given its owner.

"...So, um..." Siana begins awkwardly. "...Did you tell him about, um...?"

"She did, yes." Arne clears his throat. "Miss Hesperos and I discussed it on the way up here. She seems to have an alternative solution in mind. To simply turning you in to the authorities."

Siana turns her gaze over to Jaahlyn. "...You do?" She asks, a note of cautious optimism in her voice.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Codebreaker's House]

Jaahlyn looks to Arne, appearing startled.

He was bringing that up right away?!

She had expected more awkward back and forth between the two first, if only to confirm Arne's identity to Siana at least.
Turning back to Siana she tries to formulate her thoughts after being taken so off-guard.
"Erm... yes. In a way. Since there's a judge I know who might be able to take your case. She might decide to send the case to the Riverside authorities but if that's her decision I will abide by it. Since there's a whole bunch of circumstances that makes me thinking having you tried in Riverside wouldn't be give you any sense of justice being made."
Then she suddenly recalls an argument she was going to make. "I mean, technically Hell's Bent is not even in any of their jurisdictions anyway right? They're not even trying to enforce their laws there when the inhabitants do awful things to one another. So why should they have a greater claim on your case than any other judge?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Codebreaker's House]

"...Hell Bend?" Siana's eyes widen. "But... Jaahlyn, we... no, we promised Mister Razortooth we wouldn't talk about that. I thought you were talking about Ilphol-."

"You promised what?!" Arne stands up. "And that aside, you have more than one pending manslaughter case?! What? How?!"

Siana grimaces. Clearly things were off to a great start between them. "No, Arne. I just... just have the one manslaughter case. And one murder case."

Arne buries his helmet in his hands and lets out a little groan. "Absum's beard..." He mumbles to himself, in a mix of grief and exasperation.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Codebreaker's House]

Aw, crap.

This was quickly turning into a disaster and it was all her fault.

"Yes, but he's, uh, your fiancee-" Which she barely even knows. "-I mean, it would come out eventually so I wanted to break it gently to him." Jaahlyn really wished Siana hadn't mentioned Dipsnig there. "And I don't even know about this business with Ilpholin though let me explain." She turns to Arne. "Ilpholin is... I guess you could call her a crusader. The kind that wants everyone of that group, which I mentioned to you earlier, exterminated. Including me and a number of my friends." She gestures to the right. "Who lives like in the building right across the street." A beat. "But they're not wolf people, just musicians. Anyway, I've seen her, Ilpholin, murder people right in front of me twice and I'm pretty sure those weren't the first times. She's an extremely skilled fighter that kills with the ease others breath. I don't know what happened between her and Siana but if she's truly gone a lot of people can breath easier tonight."

She turns back to Siana. "So what happened exactly? I still can't believe that she would just die."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Codebreaker's House]

Siana glances between Jaahlyn and Arne, then back to Jaahlyn again, and takes a deep breath. "...I was at this fae party." She begins hesitantly. "In Moth Park. One of the other guests was... she was threatened by Ilpholin. The, ah, crusader." She elaborates to Arne, who just gives a curt nod in response. "She said she'd hurt Ana, the guest, if she didn't confess her guilt to a crime she didn't commit. That information got back to me, I promised Ana I'd protect her and went to confront Ilpholin about it. Ilpholin said I wasn't going to stop her short of killing her. We went to this... arena, where she gave me a chance to duel her. Only it wasn't a duel. She didn't fight back. She knelt."

"...So you executed her." Arne finishes.

"I didn't know what else to do." Siana sniffs. "She was going to hurt Ana if I didn't intervene. It... it felt wrong, even in the moment, but I didn't..."

"You did nothing wrong."

Siana stops, staring at the black-clad knight in confusion. "W... what?"

"This Ilpholin woman called for her own execution. She gave you a good reason to do it and put you in a position where you could not back out of it without allowing an innocent to come to harm. The situation is regrettable, but that is on her head, not yours."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Codebreaker's House]

Nothing good ever happened to mortals at a fae party in Jaahlyn's opinion and this just gave that notion further credence.
"Well..." The satyr starts after their exchange.
She wasn't sure if she completely agreed with Arne's conclusions but if it made Siana be less depressed she was all for it.
"I actually know Ana." She admits. "I didn't know she was at this party though and it sounds extremely concerning. I'm going to have to talk to her after this." Her laundry list of things to do was pretty long however and she did need to sleep at some point.
"It was her mother that called me in fact. Siana was at Ana's home earlier." Jaahlyn explains to Arne to give him some context of what had happened.

[Ana Dreams]

Have you ever had a dream where you know you were in a dream? Usually it's shortly before you wake up as the realization often filling you with the urge to crawl out of the dream and back into consciousness.
In Ana's case however those waking dreams have sometimes proven to be all too real as the consciousness she crawled her way back into was filled with nothing but death and blood.
However, she experienced something similar when she went dreamwalking with Jaahlyn so it isn't something purely associated with horror at this point. Apparently she's supposed to be able to control her own dreams and even be able to visit others should she choose to. But so far she little to no training or even self-experimentation so those abilities remains in dreams.

Yet this night she finds herself 'waking up' in her own dream once more but this time there's neither Jaahlyn nor gore to greet her.

Instead she's meet with a bright light. As if she's staring into a setting sun and standing right in front of it is a figure completely enveloped in its own shadow.
The only things she can make out from the figure is that it seems to have two wast wings which it spreads to its sides. The shade it casts the only shelter she can find against this bright light.

"Do not be afraid, Ana." The figure speaks in a booming voice. "I come in peace. I am Shadow Of Light and I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind and I'm willing to answer yours in turn. Since I'm sure you have a couple." Shadow Of Light pauses, giving her time to recover.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Ana Dreams]

It's been a rough day, and things had shaped into a rough night for Anastasia as well. Even with Eliseo there beside her, sleep hadn't come easily. She was still too wound-up for company to fully banish her anxiety. And truth be told? She was scared what she'd dream of too. It hadn't been easy to stop thinking about the execution - what if her dreams wouldn't either? Or worse, something new and terrible dragged her into a whole new nightmare.

All in all, it's maybe a good thing that her regularly-scheduled dreaming doesn't go as planned. Shadow of Light will find around the two of them an overcast and snowy tundra. Freezing winds whip sprays of snowflakes from building drifts and the clouds above, the skeletons of trees animated into a crooked and eerie dance. And in whatever kind of dream they're interrupting, Ana does not look properly dressed for the cold. Her feet are bare, and the snowflake pajamas she's in look awfully flimsy.

All this means that the sudden burst of light is even more overwhelming. The girl barely has time to recognize the waking shift to her dream before she cries out in shock and raises an arm to shield her eyes. She backs a step or two away. "I-w-what? Who are -" A nervous swallow and her stomach drops. "Oh gods. You're- y-you're another fey, aren't you?"
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Ana Dreams]

"I can leave if that's what you wish." Shadow Of Light offers in a neutral tone. "But I am an angel and not associated with those fey which you've encountered so far."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Ana Dreams]

"You're an-" Ana grows a little paler, both tails curling tight against her. Jaahlyn had told her about them once, hadn't she? And just what angels did to kitsune when they found them too. "What do you want with me?"
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Ana Dreams]

Shadow Of Light seems to sense her reaction. "As I said, I come in peace. Despite your status I'm not after you. Or anyone else for that matter. This is a completely off the books exchange of information between us which no one else will learn about should you be interested. Since I am an informant, not an enforcer if that makes sense and I prefer if my sources don't turn against me."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Ana Dreams]

The girl hesitates. An informant? "H-how do I know it's even safe to tell you anything? Can you even guarantee we'd be safe from other angels?" Her tone is nervous but sharp.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Shadowcaller wrote: May 21, 2023 8:32 am [Codebreaker's House]

Nothing good ever happened to mortals at a fae party in Jaahlyn's opinion and this just gave that notion further credence.
"Well..." The satyr starts after their exchange.
She wasn't sure if she completely agreed with Arne's conclusions but if it made Siana be less depressed she was all for it.
"I actually know Ana." She admits. "I didn't know she was at this party though and it sounds extremely concerning. I'm going to have to talk to her after this." Her laundry list of things to do was pretty long however and she did need to sleep at some point.
"It was her mother that called me in fact. Siana was at Ana's home earlier." Jaahlyn explains to Arne to give him some context of what had happened.
[Codebreaker's House]

"...I see." Arne holds a finger to where his chin would be, under the helmet. "And this Ana... she is as Siana says, correct? Innocent of any wrongdoing?"

"I literally just said that." Siana frowns. "Do you think I'd lie to you?"

"No, b-"

"Do you think I was wrong about that, too?"

"I don't-"

"Then what? What, Arne? What good did you think that was going to do?"

"...My apologies. I did not mean to offend you."

"Offend me?" Siana frowns. "I don't think you really grasp the situation here. A woman is dead. I killed her. We're way past offense! If I was wrong about anything going into that room-"

"Then surely you want to know the truth of the situation, from any source available?"

Siana stands there for a moment, before slowly lowering herself back into her seat. "...Of... of course." She says, not making eye contact with either Arne or Jaahlyn. "...Sorry, Miss Hesperos. Please continue."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Codebreaker's House

"Calm down, Siana." Codebreaker rumbles.
"To be honest, this lady sounded like kind of a psycho, but I admit I'm biased in this whole situation." He groans as he stands up.
"If you do want someone to be judge for all of this, I accept that. But you know that the law is the thing Kyrie and I can't protect you from."

He crouches down so Siana can look him in the face as best she can.
"For everything else we're here though, okay?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Ana Dreams]

What seems to be a shadow hand is held up gesturing at something above it. That's when the light shifts and Ana can see that its not a sun at the horizon.

It's a glowing circle which apparently was a lot closer than it appeared, being right behind the angels head. The perspective having shifted like an optical illusion.

"Do you see this, Ana? It's my halo. I swear by it that I have not lied to you and won't lie to you during this exchange." They pause. "Of course, that requires you to believe what I say in the first place so the choice is still your. But I will try to guarantee that you are safe."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ironsmith wrote: May 21, 2023 6:57 pm [Codebreaker's House]

"...I see." Arne holds a finger to where his chin would be, under the helmet. "And this Ana... she is as Siana says, correct? Innocent of any wrongdoing?"

"I literally just said that." Siana frowns. "Do you think I'd lie to you?"

"No, b-"

"Do you think I was wrong about that, too?"

"I don't-"

"Then what? What, Arne? What good did you think that was going to do?"

"...My apologies. I did not mean to offend you."

"Offend me?" Siana frowns. "I don't think you really grasp the situation here. A woman is dead. I killed her. We're way past offense! If I was wrong about anything going into that room-"

"Then surely you want to know the truth of the situation, from any source available?"

Siana stands there for a moment, before slowly lowering herself back into her seat. "...Of... of course." She says, not making eye contact with either Arne or Jaahlyn. "...Sorry, Miss Hesperos. Please continue."
[Codebreaker's House]

Jaahlyn looks between the two as they argue.
Hardly the best way to restart an old relationship was it?
"...well, as I was about to say, Siana. It's ultimately up to you what you want to do now. But I would advise against 'nothing' since I can tell that you're being consumed by the guilt you feel. It's eating you from the inside. So you have to make amends one way or the other and well, if you want to go to the authorities you would have to go to southside since that's where Ilpholin lived rather than when where her death took place. Since the party didn't actually happen in the park, did it?"
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Codebreaker's House]

Thanks to the change in elevation, Siana absolutely can look Codebreaker in the face.

She just refuses to. Her gaze seems to almost be magnetically repulsed from his, such that a straight-on view is next to impossible without doing anything to hold her head steady.

"...I don't want to be protected." She half-whispers, her voice thickened as her throat goes tight. "I just... want things to be right. Want to make it right. I've... I made a terrible mistake, and I need to make it right."

"You didn't-"

"I KNOW DAMN WELL WHAT I DID!" Siana snaps, looking back up at the black-clad knight. "You know what? Get out."

"...Wha-"

"You heard me! OUT!" Siana points toward the door. "I don't know who you think you are, but nobody, nobody who tells me to not be ashamed over something shameful and not to feel guilt over acts for which I am guilty, has any business calling themselves my friend!" She assertively shakes her hand, repeating the pointing gesture. "OUT!"

Arne stands and gives Codebreaker and Jaahlyn a little bow. "...It would seem as though I must take my leave." He says matter-of-factly. "Miss Hesperos. Master Codebreaker. Thank you for your assistance and your hospitality."

He then turns to leave, his pace slowing as he nears the door, but not stopping. Not until he's on the other side, out of sight and mind.

"..." Siana slumps in her chair again, hands folded in front of her. "...Who's in charge of Southside, and how soon can I meet with them?" She mutters. "And... did Ilpholin have any family? Whatever the law says... I need to do right by them, as well."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,