Home

Personal homes and private lots.
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Home

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Codebreaker's House]

Well, this was already a disaster.

Jaahlyn already had the long built-up habit of not interfering in these sort of feuds however. So she just gives Arne a respectful nods as he leaves and then turns back to Siana. She seemed to need the most help here after all.
"We could visit her compound?" Jaahlyn has to suggest. "I wouldn't advise it but I would follow you there if you wanted me to. However, when it comes to your judgement I very much advise you to go to Inside. Since there's no functional justice system in Southside as far as I can tell. Indeed, go anywhere but Southside, like East- or Westside and you would at least get a trial. But in Inside you would get a just trial as opposed to becoming a pawn in some political game that probably only would make Ilpholin's friends and family even more upset."
Last edited by Shadowcaller on May 22, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Codebreaker's House

"Well, this is my house, so I'm giving my two coppers." the wolfen grumps, eyeing Arne's exit.
"You wanna throw yourself at a judge, that's all well and good. But you use your head and choose your words carefully when you go trying to give reparations to people who associate with that type. You say 'I swear I will do whatever it takes to make things right' and they say 'Great! Murder some people for me.' And then sixteen chapters later you've hurt far more people then you ever would have just letting the law handle it.

I'm with the lady on this one. Do not go into the lair of that kind of people and expect everything to go hunky-dory."

Codebreaker is, of course, incredibly biased about all of this since Siana has probably killed more people than he's aware Ilpholin has. But Siana also didn't kill mostly-innocent musicians on purpose and then threaten a teenager.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Ana Dreams]

Squinting to make the sight out, Anastasia wavers. "And - a-and my family?" The people in danger from an entity like this who really mattered to her.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Arkhosia wrote: May 22, 2023 4:56 pm [Ana Dreams]

Squinting to make the sight out, Anastasia wavers. "And - a-and my family?" The people in danger from an entity like this who really mattered to her.
[Ana Dreams]

"They will be safe as well." There's a pause of acknowledgement following these words. "I will say that Kitsunes are considered a low priority even by my superiors and it's not that you've committed any crime." A beat. "Not one by our standards at least. But... the word within our halls are that things might change soon. The Ortodoxy's current approach to your kind is considered ineffective and dated so soon I believe your mere existence won't be a crime anymore at least."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Ana Dreams]

The assurance seems to bring a sense of relief to the anxious girl in the snow, though there's an visible flinch at the mention of her "crime". How could someone say that about what she'd done? Hands subconsciously trace a guilty path along her arms and squeeze. "I- okay, I'll- ask me what you want to know."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Codebreaker's House]

Siana gives a mute nod, not looking up at either of them but willing to acknowledge their collective point. This isn't something she should take into her own hands. Taking matters into her own hands is how she got in this situation in the first place. And if Ilpholin's kin were anything like Ilpholin herself, they were likely to abuse any attempt she made. Better to keep the case in court.

...Although.

"What do we do if Inside won't take the case?" Siana asks. "The murder didn't take place there. Neither of us lived there. Nobody who was present is even from there. What do we do if the courts there decide they have no basis for a trial?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Codebreaker's House]

Jaahlyn had been so focused on Siana that she had forgotten that the wolfman had even been there. So when he suddenly speaks up she looks at him with a startled expression.

Right.

The satyr clears her voice and somehow finds herself nodding in agreement with a wolf. Since she of course had an answer to Siana's question. She had already told both her and Arne earlier. "Then we go to Riverside and have the trial there. East, north or west, doesn't matter. We could even go to the fey since I know they would take your case but I doubt you would want that. I wouldn't want that."

[Ana Dreams]

"Ah, see Ana, this won't be a one-way exchange since first I have some information for you and your core first. As in, your 'other self'. I need to tell you that the creatures responsible for your first parents death will soon be taken care of. I can't give you much details but plans have been set in motion for their ultimate downfall. If you have questions regarding that I'm happy to answer them." Shadow Of Light claims.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Ana Dreams]

Anastasia's very breath catches in her throat. She staggers back, blinking as if trying to comprehend. "What?" A whole surge of roiling emotions wells up within her at once. "Then they're - they're really gone then." As if she hadn't always known after the very first months of absence and her subsequent adoption. But their bodies had never been found - so that quiet possibility had never been fully extinguished.

"I - thank you. It -" Helps? Brought her closure? She isn't sure. There are a lot of feelings to process. The dream-sky above them fluctuates, fading to a dull and vanishing grey with wispy windows into the star sky. "I don't, um. Have any questions."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Ana Dreams]

"Not gone. Not yet. But as sure as each new day dawns they will be." Shadow Of Light promises and then pauses for a moment as the sky above them shifts and fades. Seemingly waiting for it to stabilize before they switch topics.
"Now what I want to bring up next is as much of a question as it's information. Since are you aware that the mortal friend of yours, the winged one, is one of us? An angel. I can't imagine it would be much of a surprise." As to emphasize this, Shadow Of Light spreads their own wings and Ana might note that unlike the rest of the angel they are not completely cast in shadow. In fact, they look a bit like a pair of gigantic dove wings.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Ana Dreams]

"Atsede?" Ana tilts her head. Those wings really did look like hers, didn't they? "No, I - I mean, I didn't even know that was possible." A beat. "I uh, guess it's kinda obvious though, yeah. L-like, she is pretty angelic."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Ana Dreams]

"The wings do stand out even if our halo's is what makes us distinct. But such things wouldn't manifest in the waking world naturally of course. That said, I am telling you this for a reason. Since I am investigating their case right now and will be talking to them at some point in the future. That will likely mean nothing to her-" Seems like Shadow Of Light is using different pronouns here. "-but it will mean something to her core. No doubt they will know what they did wrong so they can prepare their answers accordingly."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Ana Dreams]

Mhm. Yes, that's what Ana meant by her looking "pretty angelic". Definitely. She frowns as Shadow Of Light goes on. Investigating? "Is- is Atsede in trouble? Is that why you're here? You're - you're not going to do anything to her, are you?" The night grows colder and darker as sudden worries of her crush being taken away swirl in her mind.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Ana Dreams]

"No." Shadow Of Light remarks matter of factly. "She hasn't broken any of our laws so I wouldn't have any reason to. It's the actions of her core that I'm investigating which is treated as a different individual. Any judgement of her core would of course wait until the point when the core returns to us. I'm simply making sure we have our facts straight regarding them." They pause a moment. "Does that make sense to you?"
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Ana Dreams]

"...Yes," Ana answers finally, withdrawing like a chastised schoolgirl. A few lingering fears still swirl in her head, like the possibility of someone ending that individual to hasten the return of a core - but she can't help feeling guilty over having such a quick urge to panic over nothing.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Ana Dreams]

"Good." Shadow Of Light pauses for a moment before moving on yet again.

"Now for a question, you were at a social event hosted by a vettir known as Yu-tender or 'Nye'. There was also a yu-seed there known as Fusago. So far all accurate, correct?" If Ana agrees, Shadow Of Light continues. "However, there were other beings at the party as well, excluding the other guests and the servants. Would you mind describing them for me if you can, Ana?"
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Ana Dreams]

...Oh. The frigid air grows brittle as the breath catches in Anastasia's throat. Somehow she'd known these lines of questioning would lead to this. "I- I-I-I was, I -" The girl squeezes herself tight, focus not entirely on the angel before her as the snow beneath their feet begins to melt into checkered flooring. Her breathing begins to pick up. "Please- p-please don't make me think about it."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Ana Dreams]

"To clarify, I'm interested in Nye and Fusago's activities here, not yours. You only need to give me an idea of what they were like." Shadow Of Light prods. "No need to be too specific if it makes you uncomfortable."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Ana Dreams]

"...There- t-there was-" Ana struggles to calm herself. "There was this girl - a-a spirit - s-she looked - she made herself look exactly like me. Wanted me - wanted me to-" the words break off in an anguished squeak as vignettes come rushing back and the girl squeezes even tighter, nails digging faint scrapes into her skin. Shadow Of Light might hear a dark, far-off laughter echoing in the edges of the dream - and Ana startles and whirls around, now fully starting to hyperventilate.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Ana Dreams]

Silence follows as only the sound of Ana's rapid breathing can be heard.
"We'll move on to another question once you've recovered." Shadow Of Light finally remarks after nearly a minute has passed before falling silent once more.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[Ana Dreams]

”I don’t think you’ll have much luck with that, little bird,” the laughing voice sneers, this time sounding close somewhere behind them. Should Shadow of Light turn around, they’ll find a tall and lanky two-tailed fox, emerging from the building snow with a feral grin. “You've been nice enough to this misguided little kit - but if you keep making her go through this, I might just have to tear your throat out.”
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Arkhosia wrote: May 23, 2023 8:14 pm [Ana Dreams]

”I don’t think you’ll have much luck with that, little bird,” the laughing voice sneers, this time sounding close somewhere behind them. Should Shadow of Light turn around, they’ll find a tall and lanky two-tailed fox, emerging from the building snow with a feral grin. “You've been nice enough to this misguided little kit - but if you keep making her go through this, I might just have to tear your throat out.”
[Ana Dreams]

"Our connection to birds is purely visual, we are light." Shadow Of Light claims. "But it is a good thing that you showed up as I have questions for you too." The angel glances back at Ana. "Especially seeing that Ana is not feeling well."
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Ana Dreams]

"I do hope I'm not hurting your feelings then, hatchling." The fox begins to circle, staring Shadow of Light down firmly. Anastasia's own widen as she steps back to allow it space. "Oh gods, please no - w-we're in enough trouble already -"
"This is for your own good, little kit. You only continue to hurt yourself without me to intervene." She returns her focus with bared teeth. "What is the point your questions serve, anyways? You seem to know everything there is to both of us - why, I'd even wager you already know what filthy little pests were there, and are just asking their victim to verify it for the fun of it."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Ana Dreams]

Shadow Of Light does not move.
Or rather, they don't appear to move. Yet from whatever angle either Ana or the fox looks at them they always seems to be facing them. Regardless of how fast they might move themselves.

"An ironic insult." The angel muses with a twinge of mirth to their tone. "But to answer your question, mighty fox, Ana is a potential witness of a crime so her perspective is valuable. Your perspective is valuable. One cannot always trust ones own eyes, no?" As Shadow Of Light says what seems to be eyes made of pure light opens across their seemingly circular body. "Regardless how many they are, they're still only one perspective."

Then the eyes all close, leaving the angel perfectly shrouded in shadow once more.

"So if you don't mind, do you know the name Jaahlyn Hesperos?"
Last edited by Shadowcaller on May 24, 2023 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Codebreaker's House

"I don't know much about fairies but I wouldn't trust a fey court either." CB says simply.
"Are you uh, gonna tell us who this mysterious Inside judge is, Miss?" he asks Jaahlyn.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Codebreaker's Home]

"I've seen a fey trial." Siana confirms. "Or at least, a fey mock trial. If it is anything like the way they genuinely approach the idea of justice, I can't expect to find any there."

Oddly appropriate though it would be, given the circumstances.

SIana opens her mouth to say more, but Codebreaker makes the point first, so she clasps it shut again and gives a little nod in his direction.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Ana Dreams]

"Witnessed a crime is one way to put it." The fox rolls her eyes. "I don't know how your fey laws work and I don't care regardless, but - Anastasia, cover your ears please - forcing my mortal shell to endure that one spirit's obsessions with me and milking all the delectable fear she can give them with two executions ought to count for some kind of emotional distress."

The fox continues to pace as Shadow of Light mentions Jaahlyn - and to her credit, she doesn't falter once. "Never heard of em. Don't care either, unless they were a spirit at the party." Her snout contorts into a vicious grin. "In which case I'll gut them still alive and screaming." Ana flinches visibly at that but doesn't counter anything the creature says.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Ana Dreams]

"Interesting." Shadow Of Light comments and after a moment adds. "Baphoreth then? The goat which returns?" If they decline, the angel continues.
"They're all the same being and looks like a black goat-human-hybrid or a goat most of the time. The reason I'm interested in her is since she's connected to the demons which ended your parents life. I don't see them as dangerous but it is still something I'm required to keep an eye on." Shadow Of Light gestures with a wing at them. "And now you know."

Another pause. "Moving on, are you aware that you're being monitored by other fey?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ironsmith wrote: May 24, 2023 3:37 pm [Codebreaker's Home]

"I've seen a fey trial." Siana confirms. "Or at least, a fey mock trial. If it is anything like the way they genuinely approach the idea of justice, I can't expect to find any there."

Oddly appropriate though it would be, given the circumstances.

SIana opens her mouth to say more, but Codebreaker makes the point first, so she clasps it shut again and gives a little nod in his direction.
[Codebreaker's Home]

"Well..." Jaahlyn clears her voice and then takes a deep breath.
"Her Serene Highness Princess Sunder, Sovereign of Midnight Park and Protector of the Gloomreach."
A beat.
"...is her title. But she just prefers 'Sunder'. She isn't really much of the princess-type but people look up to her so she's doing her best. Her position involves being a judge among some other things. I've been at her trials and she's a pretty good judge all things considered. Whenever there's a dispute in her community she's the one that makes the ultimate call.

Though officially her power goes beyond just midnight park since Inside being Inside there's a lot of self-governing going on so people outside of it go to her too. Even I went to her due to a unjust sentence I had been subjected to."
For a couple of millennia.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Shadowcaller wrote: May 24, 2023 7:03 pm [Ana Dreams]

"Interesting." Shadow Of Light comments and after a moment adds. "Baphoreth then? The goat which returns?" If they decline, the angel continues.
"They're all the same being and looks like a black goat-human-hybrid or a goat most of the time. The reason I'm interested in her is since she's connected to the demons which ended your parents life. I don't see them as dangerous but it is still something I'm required to keep an eye on." Shadow Of Light gestures with a wing at them. "And now you know."

Another pause. "Moving on, are you aware that you're being monitored by other fey?"
[Ana Dreams]

"Hmm... nope. Doesn't ring a bell." The fox shrugs its shoulders as if it hadn't a care in the world. "I'm sure I'll let you know if I see anything unsavory as that around." The mention of her parents does seem to spark a reaction in Anastasia, though. A minute look of alarm that she swiftly buries.

That last statement is much more effective at provoking something, though. Anastasia jolts at this, her breath catching again. "M-monitored?" The fox pauses its pacing too, halting between Shadow of Light and Ana and turning to focus both its eyes on them. "Elaborate. Now."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

[Ana Dreams]

"So you're not then." Shadow Of Light calmly concludes.

"Well, as you are not aware of fey Law or politics you have probably not heard about the Orobou. They're a separate court from ours with other duties. But apparently they've decided that those duties includes watching you and potentially both your mothers as well. I could speculate about their reasoning but with your lack of knowledge in our politics it probably wouldn't mean much to you anyway. I don't even know if you're the only one they're watching or if includes all the fey in the nexus yet."