Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"Oh."

That's a problem, isn't it?

At least, assuming you have to bake something to open up the locked keystone holders. It's always possible the puzzle is something else, right?

Could our heroes have really met their match? Will they be thwarted in their grand adventure by something as simple as a lack of backing skills?

"Why don't we just ask her?" Khannie inquires, pointing at a humanoid ugallu nearby with an eagle-like lower body, a lion-like upper body, and a human head wearing a long white linen robe in a very Osari style. She's busy mixing ingredients in a glazed earthenware bowl. "She looks like she knows what she's doing."
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Okay. I will apply my master of charisma with a web of intricate words." Zebes assures Khannie. He flutters off to land near the fancy ugallu lady.
"Ma'am do you have any hints or recipes? My boss and I don't know any."
MASTER NEGOTIATOR.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

The ugallu laughs at Zebes' request.

It isn't a mean sort of laugh, not even a little bit.

It's a delighted laugh. Like the sound of a light spring rain on an oasis.

"It sounds like you heroes have met a formidable barrier in your quest," she muses. "Hmm... Do I know any recipes?"

She holds her bowl with one arm, tapping one of her big fuzzy murder-mit fingers against her cheek thoughtfully.

"I might... but how do I know you're worthy of my Elysiun secrets? What if you used them... FOR EVIL!" she concludes, giving a scandalous gasp!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Zebes ponders this very serious question.
"Okay, good question, however-"
Zebes tilts his head slightly, leans forward, and stares up at the ugallu with the greatest dragon puppy-eyes he can muster.
"does this look like the face of evil to you?" he asks her.
However given that she may or may not spend half her days surrounded by havoc dragons this may or may not work.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Oh hey there's that beautiful laugh again. "Oh dear, I hadn't considered that. You make a very fine point, little friend. I'm sure someone as cute as you must be trustworthy."

Then she leans in close since obviously this is a very important secret.

"The secret is- There are no recipes. Follow your whimsy and Elysium itself with guide your hand."

...okay yeah that makes sense.

If you try making some specific recipe then it can't be better than what you're capable of. But if you let the plane of beauty itself direct you? Then who knows what you could accomplish!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Okay. Thank you for your great and powerful wisdom Miss~" Zebes trots off.
"She said to wing it and let Elysium take the wheel."

"Well. Uh. Okay. So Khannie, what are we making?" they should at least decide what shape tin they're using.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

The ugallu waves as Zebes departs, returning to her mixing. Whatever she's making is starting to look really foamy. Like it's for a mousse or something, maybe?

Regardless, Khannie grins a wide grin at the announcement. "I KNEW it was gunna be something like that. This place is so wacky why would they expect something 'boring' like following rules in a cookbook?"

One can hear the finger quotes there.

Khannie doesn't think following really precise rules is boring. Not even a little bit! That's an important part of wizardry after all. But the other important part of wizardry is knowing how to experiment. And it sounds like experimenting is the most important thing here.

So!

Khannie considers the question carefully.

What SHOULD they try making?

This is a bakery, right? But... not just a bakery. It looks like there's chocolates and candies and things, too. Just all sorts of sweets. Maybe they could-

A mischievous smile spreads across Khannie's face.

"We're gunna make chocolate and pimento fudge."

Oh no.

Khannie's desire to stuff everything full of really spicy, sweet peppers strikes again.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Khannie, are they even going to have those?" Jace says quite deliberately because he knows that asking the question will make them appear.
"But we're not the ones eating them so if it's what you want..." he'll glance around for the spontaneously appearing peppers.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"Yeah, there are some right here!" Khannie says, grabbing a large bottle full of peppers, holding them up for her father to see. Was that jar there to begin with? ...sure? Why not? "Yeah I know I'm not gunna be eating them but maybe no one here has tried them before? he people here seem like the sort of people who might like to try something new."

Khannie is very wise.

Now it's just a matter of gathering sugar, butter, milk, and coco powder!

"I'll chop up the peppers and you guys can mix the other stuff."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Well, okay."

Jace gathers the chocolatey goods and starts...mixing them?
He has no idea how much he should be using of these things other than a vague knowledge of what is in some kinds of batter.
Elysium take the wheel!
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

The experience is definitely a bit unusual.

One moment Jace is pouring things together and the next he's getting the feeling that okay! Stop! Great! Now that one! It's like having an energetic kid tugging at his pant leg and giving him suggestions the whole time. But is that the plane itself? Or his own intuition? Or maybe a bit of both?

Khannie dumps the finely chopped peppers into the mix and then it's time to bake the fudge! Really the main goal there is to evaporate the liquids and before long it's smelling great! Khannie has to hang onto Maridia to make sure the little idiot doesn't get too close to the open oven.

"Okay! Here it is I hope we did a good enough job," Khannie says as she uses a wide wooden paddle to pull the tray out of the over.

Almost immediately a swarm of butterflies descends upon the treats, gobbling up the fudge and growing denser and denser as the swarm begins flicking with flames until-!

FWOOSH!

"Wow that was really good, thanks!" the brijidine yazata says, still munching on the last of the fudge. "Great job!"

Ever seen an oversized pixie made of lava?

Well now you have!

There comes a musical tone from table as the blue and green keystones are unlocked for the taking!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Uh. You're welcome?" Jace replies.
Would he want to say that he was born because some adventurers made weird fudge as part of a puzzle? The azatas don't seem to care so...he supposes that he shouldn't. But. This one was a little odd.
"Are you...okay?" do the azatas just form fully functional and named and everything? He's fairly sure that this would be a big deal in another afterlife. Angels probably get more ceremony (but less fudge).

Zebes takes the time to snatch up those keystones while Jace is distracted.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"Thanks again!" the little lava pixie replies, smiling warmly (VERY WARMLY!) at Jace. "Yeah, I'm fine! Great even. Wow, so this is what existing is like, huh? It's pretty great."

Considering that the lava pixie is ABOUT the same size as Zebes devouring that whole tray of fudge was quite the accomplishment.

"I mean, I guess I sorta existed before as a bunch of different souls but that's not really the same, you know?"

Jace probably doesn't actually know.

"Oh! Are you thinking it's weird that a snack made me pop in?" she asks, apparently picking up on Jace being uncomfortable.

"It IS kinda weird," Khannie admits.

"I think the snacks are just there to give all the wisps something common they can focus on? Or at least that's what it did for me! It doesn't matter who makes the food so long as it's made in goodness and freedom. If it hadn't been you I'm sure I would have found a great spicy dish made by someone else."

Zebes, meanwhile, acquires some glowing rocks.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Well, I hope you enjoy your uh, existence. Do you have a name already or do you pick one sooner or later?"
Jace is less uncomfortable and more just a little confused.
Zebes deposits the glowing rocks into Jace's pocket. Doubtless they'll need the green keystones they've found in the sand room. Which is where they'll be headed next after this very strange conversation concludes.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"Why would I have a name already? I haven't performed any cool deeds yet! My friends will name me when they think I've done a cool enough thing to name me over," the brijidine replies thoughtfully, licking her fingers to polish off the last of the fudge.

To be fair, it is pretty confusing.

"Sooo we're gunna keep adventuring. Have fun okay?" Khannie says as she begins heading out of the bakery.

Once our heroes are out of earshot she asks.

"That seemed really weird, right? Is it that weird whenever people get to the afterlife?"

Khannie is learning lots of fun afterlife facts for sure.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"I was always under the impression that agathions and angels are more...one to one? Like you get reborn as a fancy celestial and not spontaneously fusing with other souls over bonding-with-fudge." Zebes whispers.
Yeah, that was a little weird.
But hey, up next is the sand room where surely nothing weird or whimsical could possibly happen!
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"But had you ever gone to one of those other places and asked the people there about it?"
Khannie wonders aloud as our heroes go UP the stairs again and then go DOWN the stairs again.

Lots of ups and downs on this adventure.

"Maybe we should ask that feathery snake guy? Or the crow? They were from different afterlife places, right?"

Who knows, maybe it works differently there?

Anyway!

It's sand time.

And when our heroes get to the bottom of the stairs?

It is definitely sand time down here.

Black sand, studded with diamonds, fills the floor of the room like the night sky full of stars. Round the edge of the large room sand flows in while on the far side it slides down into unseen pit that is politely surrounded by bronze caging to prevent anyone from getting sucked down there which would be pretty bad! Walking on the sand our heroes will be able to feel it subtly shifting under their feet. Around the edge of the room there are a number of alcoves, each with a little monument that shines with holy light. Four of them, actually. They look almost like shrines with relics. A pitted suit of armor. An old book. A dented helmet. And a shattered shield.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Mary eyes the gold... And salivates. Her draconic side is showing through. "It's gold. Real gold!" She takes a few steps towards the gold-foiling operation. It really does look like the skeletons are making very fancy candy bars... Why?
It doesn't matter to the treasure-starved dragon who just wants the gold for herself.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Well, no..." Jace admits as they go. He hadn't gotten to talk to too many celestials before.

And soon they come to a big sandy pit!
"My helmet, my armour, my uh, my book and my shield. Bring them to me and the path I shall yield." Zebes whispers dramatically.
"But where do we bring them?"

Jace frowns and walks through the sand towards the book, which seems like it's the most portable of the relics. Maybe if they pick one up something will happen?
Zebes rather immediately gets distracted trying to see if the diamonds studding the sand are actual diamonds.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Action Archaeology]

The skeletons don't react to Mary's presence at all.

In fact, she could walk right up to one, shove it out of the way, and take the gold foil it was wrapping the chocolate in. It would just get back up and resume its task. These are pretty clearly the mindless sort of undead that have no agency to speak of. They're programmed with a simple task and they'll continue to carry out that task in perpetuity.

Khannie is a bit more suspicious than Mary is and follows a skeleton carrying an earthenware jug full of chocolate bars away that have been wrapped already. There are quite a few full jars, but not as many as one might expect given how long they've been doing this. "I think I can make out some light coming through the roof up there," Khannie calls out, squinting upward.

[Spring Vacation]

Well, Jace has had plenty of opportunity now! And they seem generally nice, right?

But then again, this IS Elysium. The celestials here tend to be the childlike wonder and whimsy and kindness sort. It makes sense that things would be a bit more fantastical than normal. No doubt the angels have a whole big ceremony.

Touching the book, Jace will feel a solemn sort of presence. An inscription on the little shrine reads, 'a possession of an adventurer lost to Enigma when it was still steeped in evil'. Judging from the aura of good it apparently belonged to a GOOD adventurer. This place appears to be here to commemorate the people who lost their lives here when it was the domain of Areshkagal the Faceless Sphinx.

Anyway Zebes tries a dramatic poem! Several of the nearby diamonds shine a little bit as he speaks. And no doubt he's immediately distracted by one of the shining diamonds. As he gets closer he'll discover that-! Well. Can he tell the difference between a diamond and a piece of quartz? Because it is definitely a transparent rock of some kind.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Hm. Jace goes to check the other three alcoves and checks their inscriptions. They have two keystones, and they need four. There's clearly something they're supposed to DO in this room. But he's not quite catching on to what.

Meanwhile!
Of course Zebes can identify a diamond. He is a dragon and also he works for Jace who is basically a glorified magical jeweler.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Yep those are diamonds.

As Zebes is poking around he might notice a pair of large diamond-like eyes watching him, belonging to something mostly buried in the sand. Whatever the buried something (someone?) is isn't quite clear as of yet. But it is definitely keeping an eye on Zebes!

Jace will find that the inscriptions are all the same; monuments to people who perished here. As Jace considers this he will be able to make out the impression of a voice from the shifting sands.

'All these withstood the Riddle of Nothing. What gives you the purpose to stand defiant in the face of the yawning maw of nihilism?'
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Hello spooky sand eyes I promise not to get super greedy with your pile of shinies. Is it okay if I take one though?" he asks politely. One is enough for him. And really from a dragon that's a mountain of self-control.
"I have my purpose. My daughter and everyone else." Jace tells the voice.
"And also we're protected by the fact that nihilism is stupid." Zebes adds.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"YEAH! Zebes is right! Life isn't pointless life is great! Life is for making families and friends,"
Khannie declares definitively.

At the declaration of ours heroes the room rumbles, the sand level slowly lowering until the head of a great big snake statue is revealed! In its open mouth are a second pair of green and blue keystones. The statue doesn't reply to Zebes on account of being a big statue with diamonds for eyes.

Khannie moves over to the statue and grabs the keys before looking at the rocks Zebes is more interested in.

"Are those really diamonds? They're awfully big."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Zebes follows along, balancing one of the diamonds(?) from the sand on his nose, humming..
"Don't steal the eyes of giant statues. That never goes well."
"All right. I guess that's everything. We should go visit our cloudy friend." it sounds like they have all that they need to return to cloud room!
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"You shouldn't steal giant rubies that monkey statues are holding, either," Khannie adds, just in case they might encounter one of those.

If you do then all of the treasure turns into lava and a big tiger head calls you an infidel.

Anyway!

Back to the hub room agaiiin! It's much the same as it was the last time, with one very important difference. The griff-cub ugallu isn't on top of the storm cloud anymore. He seems to have acquired some spicy fudge and is eating it along with the little lava pixie. The griff-cub's face is all flushed and sweaty.

This stuff is hot!

"Haaa, hi again!"

"Hey! Uuh... Where did you get more of that?"
Khannie asks.

"I made it!" the pixie declares. "Yours was pretty mild so I added more peppers."

"Oh. Did you get a name yet?" Khannie asks, still full of questions.

"Nah making fudge isn't that epic," the pixie replies.
"I've got one though! I'm Sunshower on a Joyful Day!" the griff happily informs them.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Do you need some water?" asks Jace as they approach. Zebes starts putting in the keystones.
"You were helping us before but we can wait for you guys to finish if you want?" Jace also offers to Sunny.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"N-no! I can take it I'm tough!" Sunny replies, poofing up defensively even as his funny little bird nose is running like crazy and his eyes are watering. He snorts, rubbing one of his hands over his nose and coming away with some celestial snot.

Zebes places THREE blue keystones in place! As Sunny said earlier there's another blue keystone in the room somewhere.

BUT WHERE!?

"Well I can't exactly help but I can cheer for you! That's kind of like helping," Sunny admits.

Khannie, meanwhile, moves over to the table nearby to check out the lantern making supplies.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Well, okay we're just going to make a lantern then. And just leave this here in case..."
Jace pulls a disposable cup from his haversack and fills it with water, leaving it just a little to the left of the ugallu.

And then they had better get to making a lantern. It's lying around after all.
Jace and Khannie can make their own at least. Zebes will be trying to see if he can use his fire breath to make one fly like a hot air balloon because of course he is.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Sunny definitely isn't drinking that water when he thinks no one is looking.

The lanterns all have little candles inside them. It's the standard design, really. A papyrus 'bag' over a light weight wooden frame with a little candle in it. The heat from the candle makes it float like a hot air balloon. It turns out that dragon-fire also works, but it takes some real aerial dexterity to flit around blowing flame into the bag to keep it aloft.

Khannie will work with her dad, though. She's busy using some twine to tie the frame together.

"It seems like people are just kinda gone when they die," Khannie muses, fiddling with the string. "Like, the person they used to be? Is that how it works?"

She looks up Sunny for confirmation, who snorts water now that he's being looked at. He coughs and sputters a bit and is glad the subject isn't him needing water to cut the spice.

"I can remember some things! But the things are all jumbled up. Mostly I remember all the good, fun things I did," the smol ugallu replies thoughtfully. "Like making a swing out of a board and some rope hanging from a tree to cheer up my friend who was sick. Oh! Or standing up for my little sister when she was getting bullied! Or tricking some orc raiders into chasing me so my neighbors could get away! But..."

He furrows his brow a little.

"I don't know if all those memories are from the same soul? They're all MY memories, though. Our memories and virtues and friends and family are what make us who we are! I just get to remember LOTS of friends and families."

It still seems weird to Khannie. "Does a celestial ever appear outta ONE soul?"

"Sometimes! Not a whole lot, though. The soul has to be REALLY strong! As strong as whatever sort of celestial they become. And celestials are usually REALLY strong. Even the little ones can be as strong as some mortal heroes."