Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Is it supposed to be a scale?
Jace tries to just get the sacks balanced so the pillars will even out.

Meanwhile!
"Sweet, that must be for the locked thingy down the hallway. But it's locked.
Hey Mister Lock do you know where the key to get the locks off the keystone slot are?"
Zebes asks.
There's no harm in asking, right?
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Action Archaeology]

You can see the ground!

Just...

Not that WELL.

Khannie's spell is, in effect, a variant on the spell faerie fire. Except instead of perfectly outlining a single creature it illuminates all objects and creatures nearby. Sadly the ground is not considered an object and you get at best dim illumination from all the outlines.

Regardless!

Our heroes go DOWN.

They're find a rather interesting sight.

Headless skeletons, each with the left side of their rib cage broken, are heaping coco seeds into boiling vats. At the center of the chocolate works sits a shriveled, almost mummified looking corpse draped in extravagant gold jewelry. Clearly there's something weird going on here. Nothing pleasant, to be sure. Undeath like this is usually about the worst kind of slavery there is, since it shackles a soul from ever reaching their proper rest.

[Spring Break]

It takes some experimentation, but eventually the pedestals even out and the binding around the keystone opens up! That's another glowing blue rock added to the collection of our heroes.

Meanwhile!

"Yes, of course. It is the key the with keystone shaped knob on its handle," the chest says.

Khannie gives basically the most deadpan look EVER and fetches the key in question. Sometimes the answer to a puzzle is simply asking someone who knows. There's no shame in that.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Jace hurries back to rejoin his companion, keystone in hand.
Zebes turns to rejoin Jace, keystone in claw. Together they-
Look a tiny bit confused.
"That's four, right? We could just head back through the way we came in and be done."
"Might as well check this room in case it's a treasure closet?"
The pair shrug and go off to unlock the little keystone slot and try the odd-colored keystone in the slot. But if it leads to still more hallways they may consider just going back the way they came in.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
"Ugh," Mary murmurs. She doesn't like undead. She had run-ins with them a few times back in the Red Zone. At least they're not bugs, she hates bugs."Maybe we can sneak by?" Or she could change into a dragon and smash and/or burn all of them, she's good at that.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Khannie grabs the key with the keystone handle, heads over to the pedestal, and unlocks it! This does two things.

First?

Our heroes now have FIVE blue keystones.

Second?

It causes the sealed door to the south to slide open, revealing that first big room that had the four settings for four blue keystones in it. They have successfully circled back to where they started!

Hooray?

"Okay I think I'm starting to get this. The thingy there-" Khannie says, pointing at the main central pedestal. "Gets turned on by putting four keystones in it. That makes it so we can light up the cable things on the floor and get power to the puzzles maybe?"

Maybe.

Only one way to find out!

[Action Archeology]

But what if they were...

Undead bugs!?

Like mummies full of scarabs or something.

Even though scarabs eat poo, not dead flesh.

"I could illusion us up to help us get past,"
Khannie suggests. "But if it's got some sorta weird magical senses I don't know about it might be able to see through anyway."

Stupid magical senses that beat illusions.

Totally takes all the fun out of illusion magic.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Presumably they use the green keystone in the process.
Well!
Here they are back in Eudaemonia's foyer.
Zebes goes to fly the two keystones back into their slots. Presumably some things will turn on.
"Let's go check the other puzzles." They'll still have a blue and a green keystone. So they're certainly not done yet.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
"Do it," Mary says.
She's already squirming uncomfortably. She's sure this is going to be gross. After all Khannie's illusions are stronger than just making you look like something.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Hot Spring Aftermath]

"O-oh, no, I am -" Calanthe's protests falter as she realizes she's probably not going to stop Sakura from busying herself with the task at hand. She looks between both Adir and Sakura and gives them an awkward, understanding nod. "Yes, we... we should probably get home soon. I don't believe we planned on... er, staying the night." She considers raising her hazy recollection of the night's events but hesitates, not quite sure what to say about all of it.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Our heroes get some friendly waves from the yazata back in the foyer.

They made it through the first leg of the puzzles!

Now for the second leg.

First?

Our heroes need to get four of the blue keystones set in place. There's a little POP! of magic as each is sealed into its setting, power flowing to the central pillar, which flashes to life! A conduit leading to the BIG DOOR flares and the huge doors slide open silently to reveal a dramatic looking flight of stairs ascending higher into the pyramid. Also? Four little... handle things? pop out of the sides of the pillar. Probably to grab and rotate it.

"If we're gunna do those side puzzles I bet we have to turn this thingy so the powered up part connects," Khannie reasons.

[Action Archeology]

Very true.

When Khannie is doing disguises that is definitely correct.

But what would she disguise them as?

More headless skeletons just casually walking past? Nah, that would be suspicious.

No, Khannie is going for some unobtrusive shadows just silently slipping along the floor. No reason to pay attention to some shadows that are moving weirdly, clearly that's just a trick of the light. Khannie has done this trick before herself and yeah it definitely feels kind of weird. Not the weirdest, but still weird.

As our heroes slip past the mummified corpse its hollow eyes briefly glow a baleful green and a low, dry, rattling groan escapes from its lips. Which is never encouraging.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Well, that does mean that those side puzzles are optional." Jace remarks, but he gives her a look.
Are they really going to go up to a goddess who set up an adventurer playground and NOT do the bonus puzzles? Are they really going to skip out on that when they literally have nothing better to be doing?

Of course not. They turn the handle and then go back to those previously sealed puzzles.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
It does feel weird. Being cold, flat, and of indefinite shape is a strange sensation.
Being changed into something does make it easier to shapeshift into it again, but Mary doesn't think she'll be using a shadow form often, it's too weird.
The mummy reacting is a bit of a problem. But one with an easy solution, Mary thinks. She points a shadowy finger at the mummy's robes and focuses her power into a spark. An old, dried-out corpse like that should go up like a torch.
Should being the key word here.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

bc56 wrote: May 15, 2023 8:51 pm Fetchquest
"Nevermind, I see her," Mary steps past the waiter and beckons Mat to follow. Unless stopped, she'll head directly for Tahara.
Ironsmith wrote: May 21, 2023 10:21 pm"Yeah, I saw." Tahara winces, glancing at the playback on the screen. "But seeing, again, as to how he's a friend of mine, I would really rather not have him trade his debt to you for am exorbitant hospital bill. So, is there any way we coild come to an arrangement? If I could talk to your boss, for example?"
The waiter is a bit annoyed that he's so blatantly ignored, but... well, at least she's not shouting at him. Mat follows, which the waiter thinks is a bit odd; but if Mat weren't old enough to be here the bouncer wouldn't have let her in, would he?

"You don't wanna talk to me boss. Trust me. I don't wanna talk to me boss, and he pays me wages. Besides, he ain't here. He's at aitch queue. I'm not tellin' you where it is, either. He'd eat you up and spit out your bones." The dwarf pauses, and looks at Tahara again. "Metaphorically speakin', I mean. I gotta go. Bye." The dwarf will turn and walk away, and whilst Tahara could follow she might be distracted as Mat says something first.
"Who was that dweeb? Do you know where Boorab is?" The squirrel-girl is looking around rather nervously, as she's just put something in her pocket. If she was paying attention, Mary or Tahara may have seen the squirrel swipe a small bag from a table they passed, which what she's just concealed. Nobody seems to have noticed the bag's absence yet.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"There's no such thing as optional puzzles. You do 'em all. None of that any-percent stuff we're going completionist!" Khannie laughs.

Oh no.

Was Khannie watching Metroid speedrun videos or something?

That can't possibly be healthy.

Our heroes rotate the pillar and a new conduit lights up, power flowing into the puzzle to the south. It's a quick jaunt back to reach it and our heroes will find that it's now lit up! Two important things have changed about the room. First? Several tiles have flipped over, revealing either red or green symbols that appear locked in place. Poking one of the non-locked tiles causes it to flip over to reveal nothing, red, or green. Second? A pillar has risen from the floor between the puzzle and the sealed door nearby, though the bracket for a blue keystone is shut. Finally! An inscription on the wall that was previously invisible has lit up with shimmering starlight!
Meditate upon the four cardinal virtues while you search for a solution.
Khannie reads the inscription on the wall and gives a, "Huh."

Huh is right.

"What were the four cardinal virtues again?"

[Action Archeology]

It turns out that mummified flesh, cloth, and embalming fluids are really flammable.

Who would have imagined that?

The mummy doesn't move, of course. Since it's a stiff mummified corpse. No part of it shifts in relation to any other part of it. It does, however, float up into the air (while being on fire) and releases a blastwave of arcane static at our heroes.

Khannie's illusion immediately sputters and dies, revealing the now snarling fox pokemon below who is PRETTY CROSS about her illusion getting wrecked. Turns out the mummy must have had some sort of dumb magical senses after all.

"You are intruding upon my domain," rasps the mummy, who apparently has no real issue with being on fire. "Explain yourselves."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

”Uh. Justice, wisdom, temperance, and patience. Meditating is dumb though.”
Who would have thought that the dragon that can’t sit still doesn’t like meditating?

That’s not much of a hint right now so Jace starts flipping tiles. Maybe they need to surround the locked tiles with tiles of the same color?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"Justice, goodness, truth, and beauty," says the coatl, who's now wound around a pillar nearby. "Are the four classical cardinal virtues."

"Thanks mister snake," Khannie says with a smile and begins turning over tiles with her dad. "...do illusions count as lies?"

"Who would you lie to with them, child? To yourself or others?" the feathery snake inquires.

Khannie considers this for a time, flipping over tiles. As soon as more than four of the same symbol in a row are flipped, either diagonally or adjacently, there's a low sad note played from the puzzle and all the tiles flip back to blank again.

"Oh! I get it! It's like connect four, kinda! Except if you get more than four you lose. So we've gotta figure out how to arrange it to ONLY have four."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Rendered back to a solid shape, the pseudo-succubus stumbles and faceplants next to Khannie, significantly less ready for the change and undercutting the seriousness of her friend's threat. Mary pushes herself up to hands and knees. Why couldn't the mummy have burned to cinders? That would have been easy!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Oh no! Zebes’ font of usually useless information has failed him! What will he do?
”Hi again cousin!” he chirps. Not much apparently.

Meanwhile, Khannie’s watch buzzes.
”Khannie I’m good at these can I help?”
Oh right, Sirius is a computer. He’s good at these kinds of calculations. Which is why Khannie doesn’t usually let him help with her homework.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Action Archaeology]

"We're just here exploring," Khannie retorts to the creepy slaver mummy, eyes flicking to Mary to make sure she's okay. Looks like Mary is a little loopy after getting the illusion broken.

Ugh.

Stupid mummy.

Makes Khannie wanna deck him.

"You are unwelcome here. Only my slaves are allowed within my citadel," the mummy replies.

[Spring Break]

Not much reaction indeed.

The feathery snake replies with a polite bow. He sure seems like a nice celestial snake critter.

"Oooh, that's a good idea," Khannie says when Sirius pipes up. Sure she might not like having him do stuff like this for her school work but this is an ADVENTURE PUZZLE. When you have an adventure puzzle you should use every tool you have to solve it! And that includes your friends and THEIR ideas!

Khannie resists the urge to yell SIRIUS I CHOOSE YOU! She just lets him outta the watch instead.

"You hear all the rules, right? This should be easy."
she says to her definitely a dog.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Mary's finally found her feet. "I'm nobody's slave!" she points angrily.
Maybe it would've been better to play along, but Mary's not the type to willingly submit. Especially not to some creepy floating dead guy. She doesn't have a weapon, but she conjures up more flames in her hands, not playing the dragon card yet.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Sirius appears in a sphere of numbers! 1s and 0s only, of course.
He salutes and gets to work on the symbol-sudoku puzzle. Lines of four. They shall not be three, and they shall not be five. Poke. Poke. Poke.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Action Archaeology]

"All are slaves to my sovereign authority," the mummy replies, undaunted by Mary's yelling and fire. Guy's already on fire. What's she going to do? Make him MORE on fire? "Sufficient sacrifice must be offered to the Sun. At that sacrifice the land will be healed and my domain restored. The sacrifices I have thus far are insufficient. Your hearts too will be offered."

"Like HECK you're taking our hearts,"
Khannie retorts as begins gathering shadows to-

Get blasted by the arcane static from the mummy again.

Her shadows disperse harmlessly. Mary might even find her fire getting snuffed out, though then again maybe not. Khannie's power draws on her surroundings while Mary's is internal.

"My will here is sovereign. The elements of my domain answer only to me."

Wuh oh headless skeletons are heading toward our heroes.

[Spring Vacation]

Oh yeah.

Sirius TOTALLY solves that puzzle.

Once he's got it figured out the next setting pops open and Khannie puts a blue keystone in place, lighting up the conduit between the pillar and the door! The door slides open to reveal!

Wow!

A room!

With all sorts of fancy shelves and tapestries and bottles that look like they might have contained a large number of sweets at some point! Also a pedestal holding a second green keystone! Also also a very VERY big havoc dragon who is even shinier and prettier and mischevious looking than the last two our heroes met!

She has a giant-sized party blower in her mouth which she immediately FZOOO!s with.

"You solved the puzzled and opened the door! I definitely wasn't stuck in here eating all the goodies," the dragon tells our hero very convincingly.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Sirius is very proud of himself and goes to take the green keystone while the others chat with the dragon.
"Hello cousin!" says Zebes again from Jace's shoulder. Yes he is going to address every winged reptile like that.
"Well thank you. I think...there was one more sealed door in the room with the pots? Maybe that's for that."
Perhaps he should have been filling out a map. He's fairly sure there were two sealed doors in the pot room
"Are there any more puzzles we should look for on this level, cousin?" asks Zebes.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Mary's fire is indeed internally sourced, which means she's still got it burning after the mummy zaps them again. Of course it doesn't seem to do much to him, but she can at least sweep a jet of flame across the advancing skeletons and hope they're more vulnerable.
This is annoying. She's here for the treasure, not for fighting invincible mummies.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

It feels tingly!

Like a data crystal or something.

Are data crystals a digimon thing? Rebo has no idea.

"Hi tiny dragon!" the significantly larger dragon replies. "Oh yeah, there's another puzzle door. It leads to a room with a bunch of treasure offerings in it! But there's also usually a fiendish minotaur in there with another message from Baphomet. That gross old goat REALLY wants my BEST FRIEND to make an alliance with him and but she won't and HE isn't taking NO as an answer!"

Filling out a map probably wouldn't be a terrible plan.

"I bet Areshkagal would be pretty happy if you figured out a way to tell off that smelly minotaur in a way that they won't keep coming back."

"Areshkagal?"
Khannie asks.

"Yeah! You know? The Sphinx of Eudaemonia? She's my BEST FRIEND and this is her really cool home! She got it by gobbling up the OLD Areshkagal who was a BIG MEANY."

Possibly the biggest meany.

[Action Archaeology]

There weren't even supposed to BE monsters in here!

But that's the problem with action archaeology.

You never know when the ancient ruins might be full of horrible horrors and creepy crawlies.

Also?

The fire lash obliterates several of the advancing undead.

Khannie, for her part, can't really use her illusions at the moment. Not the fancy ones at least. But you know what she CAN use?

Pokemon moves!

She dashes straight into the middle of the skeletons, catches one under the rib-cage with her paws, lifts it bodily into the air, and SLAMs into the floor in the midst of the mob with such force that several OTHER nearby skeletons get pulverized.

"Hmm. You are powerful spirits," the mummy muses and more skeletons slowly approach our heroes. "You will make powerful sacrifices."

"We're not getting sacrificed you gross jerky-jerk!"
Khannie retorts. "Call off your goons or we're gunna clobber you next!"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"She has multiple names." Jace tells Khannie sagely.
"Well, if you are giving us permission to act as a divine messenger, that's a job I never thought I would get." he would have assumed that required being a yazata if you wanted that to be your full-time job.
"Okay! We already got the other four keystones. So we can do that and then go meet Ms. Eudaemonia up on the upper level." Zebes says with a nod, blissfully unaware of the second leg of puzzles probably to be found on the upper level.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"That's dumb," Khannie concludes. What's the point of having more than one name? It would just confuse people! Remembering ONE name for someone she hardly knows is hard enough.

"Sure? Mostly I just thought it would be really funny if someone new told off one of Baphomet's goons!" the VERY BIG havoc dragon replies mirthfully. "And I just need to-"
Her eyes flick toward the empty shelves.
"-convince someone to refill all the goodies in here."

Which she definitely won't eat.

Again.

Anyway!

Getting back to the final puzzle won't be that hard. Just need to grab the blue keystone from nearby and put that into a DIFFERENT pedestal to reroute power to the final puzzle standing between them and a grumpy fiendish minotaur!

And the puzzle out heroes find?

A bunch of black stones in a hexagonal grid.

Khannie makes a sour face at it. "It's one of those jump puzzle things. Where you jump the stones over each other until only one's left that isn't jumped."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
"My mum would utterly annihilate you if you sacrificed us," Mary adds. "She's a bona fide demon queen," It doesn't seem likely that the mummy will buy the threat, but who knows? Maybe Mary will get lucky?
Meanwhile, she blasts more hellfire at the newly approaching group of skeletons. They're clearing the room out, soon that mummy will have to fight them himself or give up.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Alright, see you soon." Jace bids the big and very cute dragon. Jace thinks that so far all the havoc dragons have seemed very cuddly but that's probably the Zebes part of his brain.

"Oh! I can do jumping!" Sirius insists!
But he's actually not good at this puzzle. Mostly because he thinks it involves actual jumping. Khannie might have to demonstrate.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Arkhosia wrote: May 26, 2023 2:41 am [Hot Spring Aftermath]

"O-oh, no, I am -" Calanthe's protests falter as she realizes she's probably not going to stop Sakura from busying herself with the task at hand. She looks between both Adir and Sakura and gives them an awkward, understanding nod. "Yes, we... we should probably get home soon. I don't believe we planned on... er, staying the night." She considers raising her hazy recollection of the night's events but hesitates, not quite sure what to say about all of it.
[Hot Spring Aftermath]

Sakura laughs, a nervous, but genuine sound. "No, but it was, uh, nice." She's really not sure 'nice' is the right word to express herself, but it'll have to do. She continues to operate on the hope that no one is really deeply uncomfortable here. Just a little awkward, right? Oops, she's lost in that thought for a brief moment before she remember to come over and hand Calanthe the filled glass of water.
~Images by Soushiyo
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Hot Spring Aftermath]

"Yeah, um." Adir glances from Sakura back down to Calanthe. He swallows his worries and tries for reassuring. Encouraging, even. He'd love it if they could just be candid, but... then again, how? "Nice. It was... I mean..." Adir brushes a hand through his hair. He decides to backpedal a little on one of his statements. "Well. I'm not really looking forward to an awkward car ride. Or the awkward day after. We pretty much... I mean... we all spend a lot of time together. So maybe it would be better if we... I don't know. Talked about it a little. You know. If you both want to."

"Oh, and uh... we could go away for a minute," he suggests. "If you wanna get dressed?" Might as well offer.