Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by bc56 »

Adventure Archaeology
Mary looks at the pictures on the door.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here," she murmurs.

Normally, a heavy stone slab would probably be a problem for explorers. Mary is, however, a dragon, and therefore large and strong enough to push it out of the way. So barring any objections, she will.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"It might be something really simple, like having to hit symbols in the right order," Khannie muses aloud as they head up the stairs. "The puzzles haven't been THAT hard. I think they're just supposed to be fun. This place is like a dungeon for adventurers except nice instead of full of carnivorous slime that wants to eatcha."

No one likes green slime.

That stuff is just the worst.

The room our heroes enter at the top of the stairs is decorated with pillars of blue lapis supporting a lavishly painted ceiling depicting people engaging in a simple pastoral life around a fertile river. It's clear that there's plenty of hard work to do and the painting depicts birth, life, and death. But the people seem happy. Two sealed doorways lead out of the room, one to the north and one to the east. Aside from the beautiful painting the room has four very prominent features.

-A fountain surrounded by lush date palms burbles musically, filling the room with the sound of flowing water that matches nicely with the painting.
-A frame of gold is set up on the north wall with slots for the little tiles Khannie was given the night before.
-A locked chest of chocolate brown polished wood and bronze is nestled under a table heavily laden with a great variety of keys.
-Upon a large velvet cushion sits an ugallu yazata shaped like an eagle winged lioness with a human face draped in delicate gold and silver chains. She watches our heroes enter the room passively, the tip of her feline tail twitching back and forth.

[Adventure Archaeology]

When in doubt WHAM!

It isn't clear exactly what the vaguely metallic stone is, but when Mary smacks into it she finds it utterly unyielding. It doesn't groan or creak or crack or ANYTHING. It just absorbs the impact and remains as implacable as a mountain. No wonder all those tools broke trying to crack through it.

"Yeah the last guy who tried to get in even took a shot at blowing it up with dynamite and THAT didn't work,"
Khannie says. "Are you okay you clocked that pretty hard."

Hopefully Mary didn't sprain a wing or anything.

"I'm gunna just phase through the thing. There's probably a lever or a control or something on the other side to open it up," Khannie says as she makes a little hop forward and goes insubstantial-
-only to smack right into the door as if it were a solid object.

Which it is.

"What the heck?" Khannie mutters, now slightly sore and confused. "Why can't I ghost through it?"
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

”Yeah, I think the point is more to give you something to do than protecting a grand treasure. The big reward is probably just something fun. Like getting a souvenir photo and maybe what you wrote getting put on a statue.” Zebes muses.
Up the stairs!

Zebes immediately locks onto that frame, hopping onto Khannie’s unoccupied shoulder and nudging her in that direction.
Jace goes to the azata basically-a-Sphinx.
”Hello, Miss. Are you the keeper of this room? Or just sitting?”
He’s not sure what’s up with the chains. This room seems to have a lock theme but it could also just be a fashion statement.

He suspects that the frame or the fountain might give them a clue as to what key will open the chest and give them the last keystone.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Gullara wrote: May 16, 2023 3:31 am [Hot Spring Aftermath]

Sakura nods her agreement, then looks at Calanthe. Her face suddenly burns with self conscious realization that Calanthe might wake up with all of them naked. Not that she has a single prudish bone in her body, but it feels quite different in this moment. "Um, let me get a robe on first." She nudges at Adir to give her space to scoot off the bed past him.
[Hot Spring Aftermath]

Adir rolls out of the way, then nimbly hops up off the bed and pulls on his boxers. As soon as Sakura is in a ready state, Adir will gently pull the sheets up over Calanthe - for her own propriety, at the least - and finish the motion by gently gripping Calanthe's upper arm. If the mere touch isn't enough of a disturbance, he'll jostle her a tiny bit, but he doesn't want to have to shake the bun awake exactly. "Hey," the stag intones in the quiet, his tone calm and gentle.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"Probably? If the whole idea is to think about what it means to live a good life then maybe the big reward is just understanding the riddle better? I mean, that's nice isn't it? Knowing how to life a good life and be happy?" Khannie muses. "Or maybe we'll just get a tee-shirt that says 'I solved the riddle pyramid and all I got was this lousy shirt.'"

Well.

Granted.

These ARE yazata we're talking about here.

The reward being a joke that they happen to find delightful is definitely on brand.

Anywho! Khannie and Zebes head over to the frame. This one is more complex than the last one by quite a bit. Not only does it have a few tiles set into it already but is ALSO has single symbols ringing the edge of the frame. Which... is a bit different from the last one. "Okay so we match them like dominos but what are the ones on the side for, do you think?" she wonders aloud.

Jace, meanwhile, heads over to chat with the definitely not a sphinx. Definitely not! She's an ugallu! Lots of them definitely don't look like sphinxes since their lion, eagle, and human parts can be arranged in all sorts of different ways. This one just HAPPENS to have a sphinx-like arrangement. And the chains are jewelry rather than big heavy things. The little woven sorts of chains that a pendant might be hung on.

Regardless!

"After a fashion," the yazata replies to Jace, answering his question without actually answering it. The mirthful look on her face suggests that she knows exactly what she's doing. "I'm sure you're familiar with the riddle of the sphinx of Thebes?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Boy are they going to feel silly if there actually is a big magical reward.
Jace would probably tell the ugallu that looking like a sphinx is perfectly acceptable. He's actually never met one before but he sure is getting exposed to a lot of sphinx-adjacent celestials today.
Of course this place is dedicated to a sphinx goddess with a riddle, and the ugallu is a sphinx-ish celestial talking about riddles, which really wouldn't be helping her hypothetical case.
"The number of legs thing? Yeah, Khannie explained it to me once. Is that riddle part of the room?"

Meanwhile!

"Maybe we have to arrange the tiles in a specific pattern? Like 1-4-6 that the hints told us. Or they have to match something else in this room, like the fountain or the locks?"
Zebes suggests to Khannie.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Adventure Archaeology
"It's magic." Obviously. Mary looks at the object again. "There must be a way to open it. Stand back." She opens her maw wide and breathes out a jet of hellfire. If they can't move it, they can't break it, and they can't phase through it, maybe it will be subject to magical means of destruction? Or maybe they'll just have to dig through the ground next to it. Hopefully not that.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

They are definitely going to feel silly if there's a big magical reward.

But that would require there to be a big magical reward.

So! Sphinx talk aside the ugallu nods in reply to Jace. "After a fashion. The riddle is about human life. Birth, coming of age, growing frail, and finally death. And this-"

She gestures at the ceiling.

"-follows the same. This is the life that most people live. Birth, childhood, finding love, raising a family, growing old and dying. That is the only life nearly all mortals ever know. They accomplish no great deeds. No cities bear their names. They are forgotten by the world, never to be remembered. But is this a good life?"

Wow.

That sure is a question.

Khannie, meanwhile, is busy fiddling with the tiles. "I dunno if it's supposed to be a pattern. Maybe..."

She slots one of the tiles into the frame but it doesn't stick. Hmm... Then she tries another, one with the same symbol on one side matching up with a symbol outside the frame. THAT one holds fast, though not so much that she can't remove it.

[Action Archeology]

Yes.

Magic.

Of course!

What else could it be?

Some kind of really exotic technology, maybe?

Anyway, firebreath happens! Khannie backs up a bit since that stuff is REALLY HOT! By the time Mary is done the slab is glowing cherry red but otherwise it doesn't appear to have reacted.

Khannie wrinkles her nose at it. "Okay there's definitely some sorta trick to this. Some way to open it that isn't obvious. This? Is a puzzle."

Oh no not a puzzle! Puzzles happen quite a bit in action archeology, though. Just something you have to get use to. Khannie moves away from the red hot slab and begins pulling more vines off the side of the building, exposing more carvings. And three levers. One lever with a skull above it, one with a heart, and one with a... what even is that?

"...I think that last one's a chocolate pod?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

”Of course it is. If they’re satisfied then who is anyone to say otherwise? A good life isn’t something that someone else can validate for you.”
Jace responds quickly to that one. He’s not sure how such an easy question pertains to the room’s puzzles. Maybe it’s just about the art.

”Okay. That’s not too bad. The inner symbols have to line up but they also have to match the outer ones.”
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

A quick reply? It would appear as though the yazata was expecting that.

"You're quick to speak in your certainty. How do you know this? That no one can dictate for another what a good life is? The angels are as certain as you are that they can and that their pronouncement is good and righteous."

Yeah but the angels are kinda pushy, aren't they? Interesting that this yazata would even be considering LAWFUL answers to this question. But then again, that's part of the Riddle, isn't it? Is there one answer? Or are there many? Couldn't really considering it without being able to consider all facets of it.

Meanwhile!

"Okay yeah I think that's it," Khannie agrees. "The outer ones show which symbols you've gotta have in that column or row. They're constraints. So the tiles have to match end to end AND match the edges."

It takes a few minutes of fiddling and a few false starts but eventually Khannie figures out the correct arrangement and-!

The two sealed doors slide open! The northern door opens into a long hallway with TWO rotating cobra statues spraying flower petals everywhere! The hall is just absolutely plastered in colorful petals and filled with heady floral scents.

The eastern doorway is dominated by rows of stern looking statues seated in thrones gazing to the center of the room where a pillar stands, covered in all manner of locks with a setting for one of the keystones at the top. However the setting is chained shut! Two more doors lead out from here, one to the south that's sealed and another to the east that's open.

"Ha! Got it!"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Jace smiles at her.
"Maybe they do. But if they were the be-all answer Eudaemonia would be out of a job, wouldn't she?
Ah, excuse me. I believe my daughter just got the doors open while we were chatting."

Zebes is actually starting to get antsy as the doors open.
"Okay! We have another branching path, and a whole bunch of locks and keys. We either get the key from the far door, OR we need to solve the chest puzzle to progress. I guess check the chest? Maybe there's a hint about which key opens it? Maybe one of the keys also opens those chains?"
There's so many options! Usually it's just one or two doors at a time.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Well, you know what Clarke says about advanced technology...
But anyway. There's a statue of a heart and the carving shows someone's heart being cut out, so, "It's gotta be this one," Mary pulls the lever. "Chocolate pod?" Mary is ignorant of how cocoa is grown. She's ignorant of many things not involved in surviving on city streets, but school is helping to gradually correct that.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"And there you see the problem with the sphinx' riddle, yes? A riddle everyone knows the answer to is no longer a riddle," the ugallu says. "If everyone knew the answer to the Riddle of Eudaemonia would it even be a riddle any longer?"

But hey now it's time to keep moving.

Or, rather, be paralyzed with way too many choices.

Khannie glances at the various options. "Yeah I guess figuring out the key thing is a good idea?" she reasons as she heads over to the table with all the keys and begins examining them. There are all sorts of keys. Some are the old fashioned sort with the great big teeth. Some look like modern keys with little tiny teeth. Others are these weird looking cubes with bits and things? And one magnetic strip key-card.

The lock on the chest looks like...

Umm...

Honestly it looks kind of like that sleeping lock/doorknob from Alice in Wonderland.

[Action Archaeology]

That any sufficiently defined magic is indistinguishable from technology.

Oh, wait, no.

That's the corollary.

So! Mary pulls the heart lever!

There comes a sound like... draining water? Maybe? From inside the walls of the building. There's definitely something going on in there. A small panel in the building slides open and a sacrificial table slides out! Complete with horrible knives for carving hearts out! Our heroes probably aren't going to need to sacrifice anyone any time soon.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

”Its still a riddle if people can’t agree on it. And She’s in luck; people are good at disagreeing.”
He suspects that Eudaemonia’s Riddle is safe for quite a while.

”What a day to not have a keyblade.”
Zebes sighs. He flexes a claw but sadly one does not appear. One day, buddy.
Hm. The lock does appear to have a face.
Zebes does the reasonable thing and pokes at it.
”Hello?”

Jace will give them a wave and poof into his Victini shape, using his tiny size and somehow functional wings to see if he can slip past the snake statues and scout out that room to see where it goes. That way they’re investigating two of their three options.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
"That did something?" Mary looks at the sacrificial altar. "I don't want to sacrifice anything to... Whatever god they worship." Maybe they should just pull another lever? But which one? Skull seems like it makes sense. Mary pulls it.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Usually scouting ahead alone is pretty dangerous for an adventurer. But this place seems to be pretty safe thus far, so no worries right?

Jace easily zips over the snake statues and soon finds himself in pillar-lined room filled with glittering black sand, several empty sacks of various sizes, and a VERY conspicuous pedestal holding a fourth keystone. The keystone appears to be resting atop a small raised platform on the pedestal.

Suspicious!

Clearly Zebes just needs to try way harder to have a keyblade. Obviously he just needs to pour more effort into the desire and it will come true probably!

So! Poking the lock.

"Whmm, yes? What is it?" asks the lock, the key-hole moving like a mouth.

Khannie giggles at the sight. It's like something out of a cartoon.

[Action Archeology]

"Definitely did something," Khannie agrees.

But not anything useful. That our heroes can see. Khannie is with Mary on this one. She isn't planning on sacrificing anything, people or otherwise. That's gross. Hopefully the next lever won't result in something equally terrible.

Another compartment on the side of the pyramid opens up and a literal avalanche of skulls comes pouring out.

Whoops!

Turns out it was equally terrible!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

That is way too obvious, even with the important addition that Jace can fly and thus skip many puzzles.
Jace checks out the sacks since they are the only other thing in the room besides the pillars. Maybe one of them has to be properly taken to leave with the keystone?

Meanwhile!

"Would you mind opening, please?" Zebes asks politely.
"If you need a key, would you please tell us which one it is?" he adds.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
"Third time's the charm?" Mary questions and pulls the last lever. What else can they do?
Skulls aren't as bad in her mind as sacrificial implements and bloodstained altars. One is mundane, one is creepy and occult, and she's a demon, which means she has at least an inkling of how terrible creepy occult things can be. Not as much as she could, she's only been a demon for about a year, but the awareness is there.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

The sacks are, as it happens, completely empty. Though they COULD be filled with sand.

Should Jace pick any of the sacks up a rather interesting thing will happen. Three more pedestals rise from the floor flanking the one holding the keystone, one a bit higher, one notably lower, and one at about the same level. HMMM! This is definitely a puzzle. Possibly a dumb one. And it just so happens there are also three empty sacks.

Meanwhile!

"I can't open, I'm a locked chest," the locked chest replies. "It's my job to remain closed unless someone brings the correct key. I don't know what the key looks like, merely what it tastes like. It tastes like wafers of fine flour made with oil and honey."

Khannie wrinkles her nose. "I'm not gunna start licking keys."

[Action Archaeology]

A year of absolute nonsense.

But that's the Nexus for you, isn't it?

"I mean, maybe? This might be a red herring of some kind,"
Khannie reasons as the third lever is pulled.

...a trap door opens below our heroes, dumping them into a chute that will spiral down into the darkness and deposit them in the gloom atop a huge mound of coco seeds. Khannie JUST BARLEY manages to avoid yelling, 'Wrong lever Krunk!' as they go sliding away.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
That was unexpected.
"Woooaaaaahhh!!"

"Oof!" Mary's bulk crushes and scatters seeds beneath her. The entire fall was too sudden to fly.
She looks around. It's dark, probably, but she has excellent night vision. "... at least we're inside?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

This looks like a job for-!
actual hands and not teeny tiny paws. Jace goes back to being human for this one.
And then he tries to pick up all three sacks just to make sure the pillars don't change.
Otherwise, this seems to be a weight puzzle? One sack about the same as the keystone, one less, and one more? Luckily Jace has a keystone on hand from the musical puzzle so he has a way to tell what that's supposed to be.

Meanwhile!

Zebes doesn't really want to start licking keys but munching metal is much more normal for him so he's not completely averse to it. He starts sniffing at all the keys to see if he can pick out anything particularly sweet.
He isn't opposed to giving a few a little nibble if it means treasure. Hopefully they disinfect these things regularly.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Earl of Purple wrote: May 15, 2023 2:09 pm Fetchquest

Well, Tahara's heading into the middle of the betting crowd around the televisions, though those that notice her are moving away from her.

"And what gambling are they interested in so I can point you in the right direction?" Not the first time someone uses Greed as a meeting place, though usually they agree to meet at, for example, the roulette tables so they can gamble together.

"He's settlin' it, miss. All on his lonesome. Paid off three quarters of it already, just needs t' win two more fights. Unless he's gettin' healin', that'll cost him an' put him back down." The dwarf glowers at Tahara, backing up slightly. He's shorter than she is, shorter than many dwarfs one sees in the Nexus, but very dwarfy, with a long brown beard and wearing chainmail, leather, and a horned helmet, an axe at his waist opposite what looks like a baguette, smeared at one end with a bit of blood.
[Fetchquest]

"Yeah, I saw." Tahara winces, glancing at the playback on the screen. "But seeing, again, as to how he's a friend of mine, I would really rather not have him trade his debt to you for am exorbitant hospital bill. So, is there any way we coild come to an arrangement? If I could talk to your boss, for example?"
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Action Archaeology]

It is DEFINITELY dark.

Also there are no more bugs everywhere so Khannie swaps back to her human illusion. That one's easier for her to maintain anyway since she has substantially more practice. Once that's settled, she whips up a darklight, illuminating the surroundings in a surreal phantom radiance. It's still dark, but individual surfaces are visible as if there was a spotlight on them and nothing surrounding them. It's... really weird.

But it's a spell Khannie designed herself and she's quite proud of it.

So.

"Yeah, but that doesn't matter a hill of beans unless we can find the treasure chamber,"
Khannie replies as she begins sliding down the hill of beans.

Oh no.

That was a terrible pun.

[Spring Vacation]

Jace has acquired three (3) sacks!

Aside from having three sacks where as before he did not nothing changes.

Sometimes that's just how things go.

Meanwhile!

Zebes this is the a realm of whimsy and goodness. Finding a key that's actually make out of sweet wafers is pretty well within the wheelhouse of Elysium.

Khannie watches and does her best not to laugh as Zebes sniffs at the keys. She is mostly successful.

Mostly.

After a few tries he finds one, and old fashioned key with an impressive array of prongs, that tastes suspiciously like a cookie.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Hot Spring Aftermath]

"Mnn..." Calanthe gently stirs beneath Adir's touch. It takes a couple seconds, but slowly, her eyes start to flutter open. She groans and rubs a hand against her forehead, fingers sinking between locks of hair - and then realizes just who's leaning over her. The woman's tawny cheeks go very dark as the events of last night come rushing back to her and she flits from face to face, clearly nervous. "I- erm, morning."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Jace attempts to partially fill the sacks with sand to get them to be the appropriate weight. One equal, one less, and one more. Then he arranges them appropriately on the pedestals.

Meanwhile!

Zebes takes the key and presents it for the lock to taste.
"This is your key. Positive. Uh I cleaned it first don't worry." Prestidigitation! As useful as a handkerchief when you need to make sure there's no dragon spit on your key.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Hot Spring Aftermath]

Sakura is tying up her robe as Calanthe wakes. Immediately her anxiety spikes in response to Calanthe's own clear emotion. "Good morning, um, how are you feeling? Do you need some water? I should get you some water." The dryad looks around to see if there's an immediate solution to this problem in sight.
~Images by Soushiyo
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Mary tumbles down the hill after Khannie, scattering lots of beans in her wake and crashing into the floor that she can't see clearly. "Ooofh. What's with your light? I can't see what I'm standing on," She lifts and lowers her front feet curiously, then changes back to humanoid form herself (maintaining the changes she had earlier). She conjures a torchlike flame above her hand. "That's better."
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

[Hot Spring Aftermath]

The little bungalow by the spring is essentially accommodated like a small hotel room - there's a sink and a few small, precise-looking clay cups available. Adir tries on a smile for Calanthe, and gives Sakura a somewhat concerned glance. He can't keep a flush entirely off his face either. "Sorry about that. We would have let you sleep, but..."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Jace has got the right idea... probably.

When he places one bag on the pedestal that's taller than the one holding the keystone it sinks down BELOW the keystone! At the same time the pedestal below the keystone rises ABOVE! The pedestal on the same level doesn't move.

Hmm...

It appears as though this might be a little more tricky than Jace had anticipated.

Meanwhile!

A key is used! Just stuck in there and-

The chest eats it.

Then pops open!

Within the chest is a GREEN keystone. "Huh," Khannie grunts. "This one's a different color than the other ones we've found."

Sounds like more puzzle.

[Action Archaeology]

"It's an illusion spell that outlines stuff with-" Khannie begins, but then Mary makes a fireball.

She frowns a bit.

"I think it's cool,"
she mutters a little.

Anyway! Let's look around.

Our heroes stand atop a hill of beans. It looks like there are two ways out. A trap door hanging open near the ceiling and a wide doorway looming on the other side of the room. The smell of chocolate is quite notable through the door. A flickering light and dancing shadows are cast down from above.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
"Sorry, but I feel weird not seeing the ground. Plus, if there's a pit, we'd fall right into it."
Mary surveys their options
"I think we should go this way," she says, moving towards the chocolatey door. To her keen senses, the chocolate smell is a strong temptation.