Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

”Being fair, souls tend to stick around for a while before they start to fade in identity and form a celestial. After all that’s how you can revive people as long as it hasn’t been too long.”
”And also me and Jace’s souls are basically glued together so anything we get up to we’re stuck together. So we’re TWO souls. And also we’re super badasses. Frankly if we form anything less than a Draconal I’m suing Nirvana for ruining my aesthetic.” Zebes adds, laying on his back and using his breath on a lantern as it slowly falls back towards him over and over.

This is true. Maybe it’s because they’re older but Jace and Zebes seem to have a bond that Khannie and Maridia don’t seem to have quite yet.
This also may or may not be considered extremely arrogant given how powerful draconals are but well. Zebes does have an aesthetic.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Earl of Purple wrote: Jun 04, 2023 5:51 pm Fetchquest

"He said the boss was in HQ, right? Any idea where that might be? I don't care if he's the Fairy Godfather himself, I'll kick his arse twelve ways to Sunday." Mat pounds her fist into her hand. Boorab said his boyfriend wasn't here, so he might be there. "He won't be the Fairy Godfather, though. There's no sprites here, unless they're really good at hiding." Sprites aren't better at hiding than cockroaches, so Tahara should be aware that it's unlikely there's any sprites present in the building- she's not found any, at least, and a query into the swarm will reveal that.
[Fetchquest]

"Unless you're talking about the lucrative drink deals they've got going in the Gluttony section, nah, no sprites." Tahara confirms, rubbing the back of her head. "If you wanna try to get something out of short and grumpy over there, be my guest. I'll just be standing way over here where I couldn't possibly be mistaken as being with you in case something goes wrong."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"I don't really know anything about resurrections," Sunny admits, his stormy cloud-y mane just sort of spreading out under him and blebbing off into a cartoonishly tiny cloud which he reclines on top of like a floating cushion. "I don't think I was ever anyone important enough to get raised. But that's okay! I'm happy here."

"I wonder how that would even work with one of the REALLY strong resurrection spells?" Khannie wonders aloud as she puts the finishing touches on the lantern's frame. "Like those can raise someone from TWO HUNDRED years ago! If their soul is part of a celestial does it just kinda peel them out or something?"

Life (and apparently the afterlife, too) is full of mysteries.

"I don't know how those rules work?" Sunny hums. "I just know it's lots of fun here in Enigma! Eudaemonia is nice and the people here are nice and the visitors are all nice! Some of the old dead sphinx' minions are still around and they aren't THAT nice but that just means we get to play with them and be kind to them and make nice things for them until they realize that the Riddle of Nothing was dumb and wrong and not even a real riddle."

"Draconels are the dragony guys from Nirvana, right?" Khannie guesses. That sounds right. And the name does sort of give it away. She hands the finished frame to her dad so he can affix the paper part.

"We've got visitors like that from Nirvana before!" Sunny helpfully informs our heroes. "People from all over the good planes like the Riddle of Eudaemonia. What's it really mean to live a good life? Everyone wants to know the answer."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"I would assume the spell would simply fail if the soul is no longer in a place to respond." Jace says with a shrug.
"And yes, the Draconals are great sages from Nirvana. I'm sure it's a high honor to be part of one." Jace explains as he adds the paper.
"Yeah well our CR together is definitely equal to one."
Sorry Khannie but he isn't settling for being half of a Vulpinal.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"I guess that's true. They only work if the soul is free to come back and WANTS to. How often would someone who's been gone over a hundred years want to come back? Everything would have changed so much," Khannie reasons.

How much can things change in a hundred years?

A whole lot!

That's how much.

Though maybe that wouldn't be a big deal to people who basically never change and live FOREVER like elves.

"Well, I hope you don't have to find out soon," Khannie says, grinning at her dad. Then? She takes the finished lantern, sets a little candle inside it, and lets it go.

Woop!

Up it goes!

Higher and higher and higher until it bumps into the ceiling and-!

There's a little musical tone as the lantern flashes into a blue keystone and falls from on high!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Hm. The puzzles on this level are even more relaxed than the ones on the other one." muses Khannie's dad as he sticks the last keystone into the last slot.
Hm. They still have the green keystones from before. They must be used for something on the final level.
"Well, we'll have to keep in touch with these fine folk if we can. That way if we have any celestial mishaps we know who to call."
Khannie has Keiko, but Jace doesn't have any deities or celestials on speed dial.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Some have been hard.

Some have been tough.

Some have been easy.

Some have just been fun.

Once all four of the blue keystones are in place the doors to the north and south slide open! To the south is a big banquet table surrounded by heaps and heaps and HEAPS of gold! The table is set with a spread that makes the buffet table our heroes encountered earlier pale in comparison. Oddly, it doesn't appear as though anyone is in here. Just a full table with empty chairs. Open doorways lead away from the banquet hall to the south, east, and west.

The northern door leads to an expansive gallery displaying all manner of art. Sculpture and painting abound along with mosaic murals and elaborate carvings. Rows of diamond-shaped shelves hold stacks of scrolls bearing poetry and illustrations. The room meanders to the west around a corner. However! There's also a setting for green keystone fed by the pillar back in the lantern room. It looks like the conduit runs all along the length of the art-filled hallway. No doubt they'll need a collection of green keystones to open a door at the end and get the last one or something.

"They defiantly seem nice. Bye Sunny! Bye... um... small person? I hope you do something cool and get a cool name!" Khannie calls out as she peers into the southern banquet hall.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

There's a keystone slot!
Push one in?
Who wouldn't!

Jace and Zebes decide to take the art gallery path. They're not really connoisseurs but they're comfortable taking twenty minutes to look through it all and see what it is that they're looking for.
Besides, the feast hall is empty and they should really give people some time to show up, shouldn't they?
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
That's exactly what Mary does. The skeleton is shoved down and likely broken apart while the demon-dragon in human guise gathers up as much gold foil as she can and stuffs it into her bag.
"You think it's an exit?"
It would have been nice to come in that way instead of through the trapdoor.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Hot Spring Aftermath]

"Y-yes, erm - nice." Calanthe's cheeks darken at the remark, and even more at her agreement. Which, of course, was true; the circumstances and personal relationships that factored in were just some serious complicating factors. She reaches out and accepts the glass, briefly meeting Sakura's eyes with a shy smile.

"I agree, it would be... prudent to discuss everything, I think. The last thing I would want to do was cause things to be awkward between the two of you, or make my continued employment uncomfortable for either of you." Her eyes keep moving from Adir to Sakura, as if trying to find some subdued signs of those possibilities. "I think I would be fine with a robe for now, if you wouldn't mind handing me one."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Yes indeed time to observe ART!

The hallway, as mentioned, meanders aimlessly, filled with all manner of paintings, statues, carvings, and cases from scrolls. Along the way our heroes will keep finding more sockets for the green keystones, five in all. But not before they reach a pair of fixed snake statues that KEEP BLASTING PETALS EVERYWHERE! These ones are timed such that if you try to just run through you're definitely going to get covered in flower petals.

A terrible fate.

Also, nestled between the statues, is another symbol and inscription combo! That'll be the fourth one.

[Action Archeology]

Yeah but they would have had to FIND the other way in. And sometimes spotting stuff like that when it is totally covered in vines is tough.

"I think so?" Khannie replies. "But I don't see any way up to it. I think it might just be for dropping stuff in here?"

She glances over at the jars full of chocolate bars.

"But that doesn't make any sense, what would they be dropping in? The only thing here is the stuff the skeletons are making."

A mystery!

Also there is more gold aside from the foil. There's also lumps of gold nuggets the skeletons are busy hammering flat.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Jace squints at the inscription, trying to read it despite all the petals flying around in front of it.
"Okay, Khannie. We need to get a few more green keystones. And then I suppose we'll find out if this is the last door."
Still taking their time, they'll meander back to the room and towards the feast hall. If there's still nothing of interest there they will take the EAST door of the feast hall.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Mary, in fact, takes all the gold. "They have to get the gold somewhere." And if she can find out where, she can take all that gold too. "Let's see what they're doing with these urns," she decides, shouldering her bag (and relying on superhuman strength to carry all that gold) and following the assembly line further.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
Mary looks at the dwarf. "Yeah, sorry Mat. Focus on Boorab first. We can't get thrown out now, we're so close." She considers something. "What if I fight in his place?" She looks like a soft, voluptuous human, but her compatriots probably remember that in reality she's anything but. She could probably easily win a fight against a mundane opponent, possibly without revealing her true nature.
Meowmai
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Meowmai »

Arkhosia wrote: May 15, 2023 2:19 am [Feline Family Friction]

To be fair, Blanche is being pretty lenient here! She's chained two handcuffs together, which is more than one handcuff of distance! Very merciful. Though it does mean Blanche has to be careful how she positions her arm. And this close, Liz can probably catch a whiff of gunpowder residue and fresh blood form her wound.

"Yeah - we need to know what info they've got their hands on," Blanche answers, studying the screen. "Be great too if you could somehow alter information on the database's end, maybe redirect their target away from any potential ambush site." After a beat, she looks back towards Liz a little slyly. "And if you continue to cooperate, I might even let you have a copy of those incriminating records you were grabbing."
[Feline Family Friction]

Even if- given the circumstances- this was probably better than Elizabeth deserved, she wasn't exactly thrilled with being chained like this. The back of her mind was still busy trying to figure out some way out of this, but that seemed extremely unlikely at this point. She did indeed catch the scent of Blanche's blood, and it made her stomach churn. She didn't do well with blood. Or fighting. Blanche would probably feel the fellow catgirl still shaking through the chains connecting them.

"Look, I... I can get you the data but I can't do that last thing for you. They've got a hard copy, it's not like it's wifi connected to this forever. They're not dumb enough to keep connected somehow, that's a good way to trace them. I mean, maybe I- I'm sorry?" She blinked, genuinely not having expected that olive branch to be extended to her. She had been planning on wiping those records anyways- she doubted some VIGIL soldier would realize what she was up to as long as she was clever enough about it- but all of that would have meant little if her captor turned her in. Elizabeth had been caught for petty theft before, her word was not holding up against VIGIL's in court. But that sly comment gave her hope. Okay. Okay okay okay. Maybe there was some way out of this still.

If that small chance of getting home free was going to happen though, she'd have to get moving before any of Blanche's backup arrived. With that ticking clock weighing in on her mind, Elizabeth once more began the process of unfolding her rig. She took a shuddering breath. Okay. This first bit should be easy. She's already done it once today, after all.
Bismark wrote:Silence, birb-wench.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest

"Dunno, I don't see any reason not to try." Although it might not work; the dwarf was quite resistant to the idea of Tahara paying off Boorab's debt. "I'd focus on Boo better if I weren't so bloody pissed off at him and his stupidity." But mostly Mat's angry, which is making her impatient and willing to try violence first.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Fetchquest]

"Funny. You'd think that'd help keep your attention on him." Tahara quips, letting out a little giggle before deciding now was probably not the time for this. "...But seriously. I suppose one of you could do some sneaking around if tagging in isn't an option. Clearly it worked out for you."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Let's start with that symbol.
I am the three celestial realms.
Yes!

Back to the banquet room!

Upon arriving our heroes will find that something very, very important has changed.

VERY important!

Probably the most important our heroes have encountered thus far. There are three worldwound wyrmlings on the banquet table. Or... maybe they were once corrupted dragons tainted by the Abyss. They're looking a fair bit more like havoc dragons at this point, though. Probably due to growing up completely awash in the magic of Elysium. The little critters are chattering at each other and munching on snacks.

Sure are lots of dragons around here today.

They all perk up when our heroes enter the room.

[Action Archeology]

It is a fair bit of gold. And carrying it would definitely take a strong shoulder and a stronger bag. Really, people tend to be shocked by just how heavy the stuff is. Smacking the skeletons aside to take the loot really isn't that hard. Even a little it. They don't even resist. But good for Mary, right? Now she's got a bunch of gold.

"Do you think maybe they're-" Khannie begins, only to be interrupted right away by the trap door opening up.

A heavy chain lowers down, bearing a collection of gold nuggets of various sizes. The remaining skeletons immediately move to begin unloading the precious metal and replacing it with chocolate bar filled urns.

Huh.

Well.

Question answered?
Last edited by Rebonack on Jun 09, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Jace has no idea what a worldwound dragon would look like. In fact he's probably never even heard of them.
"Hello, cousins! Did you come from behind one of these doors?" Zebes asks the wymlings in draconic.
Hrm. That does beg a question of how the languages have been working technically outside the Nexus. No, better not think about that.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Obviously they look like that irritating dragon that one-shots your whole party with fire breath because you didn't level up a bunch before confronting her.

Normally they look faceless and gross. All mutated and weird. But these ones have regular eyes and their slimy pink skin is growing pretty purple scales. Definitely a big improvement. They're in the process of growing up into good dragons who love liberty rather than evil dragons who love anarchy.

"Yeah we came from the warm room," one of the little dragons replies. "It's got all the best warm rocks for laying on."

Oh no, that does sound pretty nice.

"Which one's that?" Khannie asks.

"Over there!" a second little dragon replies, pointing at the room to the west. "It has a fun puzzle, too! If you step on the rocks in the right order it plays music."

Music is great and all, but it isn't SNACKS.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Oh, thanks for telling us. Might as well check it out first."
And so they should!
Zebes is excited to sit on some warm rocks that maybe also solve puzzles. Hopefully they don't have any slime on them though.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
"Are they... Trading?" Mary sees that gold. She wants that gold. "C'mon, let's take a closer look." She slips nearer to the skeletons intending to disrupt their offloading of chocolates and claim that gold for herself. She shoves them aside and moves to grab the pile of nuggets.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Of all the various ways a puzzle might be solved sitting on warm rocks probably isn't the worst way to do it.

Our heroes will find a room with a nice sandy floor and several large, smooth stones sticking out of it. Someone has done a very careful job of tracing rippling patterns around the stones as if they had been thrown into a pond and the whole thing frozen in a moment of time. Of course, walking through it means there are footprints now.

It's a nice, slightly off white sort of sand. The kind you might expect on a beach. Full of quartz and not terribly remarkable. The stones, however, are a rainbow of colors and radiate comfortable warmth in a great big circle. A red stone, an orange stone, a yellow stone, a green stone, a cyan stone, a blue stone, a purple stone, and a bright magenta stone.

A rainbow wheel of rocks!

Khannie considers the stones.

"We've probably gotta touch them in the right order but it's a circle. Where are you supposed to start?"
she wonders aloud.

The room doesn't seem like it's providing much in the way of clues.

[Action Archeology]

Mary sure is bullying those poor skeletons.

Once again, getting the gold from them isn't hard. From her position Mary will be able to see that MORE skeletons up above are using a pulley system to lower the gold down and exchange it for the urns. They've got quite the setup down here, don't they?

They must be taking the gold somewhere, right?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Zebes indeed enjoys himself sitting on the warm sand like the flying magical lizard he is.
"Uh. There's the usual order?" Jace suggests, going to touch the stones in the usual ROYGBIV order.
That can't be it, though. He looks around for any other features of the room.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

This seems to be one of the major upsides to this realm.

There are SO many warm things to lay on.

It's like going to a beach, except you don't have to worry about sunburns or the sand being too hot or getting attacked by sand fleas or something.

Jace decides to touch the stones in ROYGBIVM order! At contact each stone shines briefly and gives a musical tone, each a little higher pitch than the last. When he's done? A pillar rises from the middle of the ring! A pillar with an inscribed plate on it? Huh. Khannie heads over to read the thing.

"This a tale of Thuban, bard of the sea of reeds. When Thuban was but a boy and the evening skies were still red and weeping from the Earthfall he yearned for the sight of the green fields that once thrived before the age of darkness. He knew these sights would fill him with song and so when he came of age he traveled through the pink cherry forests of the east to find lands untouched by gloom and smoke. Putting the orange flame of plunder behind him he walked without tiring for thirty days and nine until at last he stood before the rolling wine-dark waves dotted with the yellow sails of the fisher-folk. He knew then that his feet could carry him no longer and so under the blue skies of the free east he sailed on. Seeing the lofty purple mountains of his homeland far behind filled him with longing, but the wonder of the journey under the guidance of the shining stars urged him onward."

Khannie wrinkles her nose a bit.

"That's a weird story."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Ah, one of those stories that tells you the puzzle." Jace tries the stones again in the order they're mentioned in the inscription. Red, green, magenta, yellow, blue, violet.
They mentioned pink but not cyan though so that one might require a little trial and error.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
If the skeletons don't have minds, can they really be bullied?
Mary loads even more gold into her pack. Lucky she's not human or she'd be toppling over backwards from the weight. Even so, too much more of this and she'll have to change to dragonform just to carry it. "Let's ride up with the next load of urns," she suggests.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

It does take a little bit of fiddling. Though Khannie eventually remembers that 'wine dark' is used to describe the color of the ocean and then everything falls into place. Rocks are booped! And that results in the stand opening up to reveal the fourth green keystone for our heroes.

Hopefully Zebes has enjoyed his lounging on warm objects.

[Action Archaeology]

Y-yeah!

Totally!

You can totally bully skeletons even if they're mindless automatons. Haven't you ever seen those videos of someone poking at a walking robot with a broom? That's definitely bullying.

"Good idea,"
Khannie agrees. Of course, they're going to have to shove several skeletons out of the way when they climb onto the platform since the dumb skeletons will continue trying to load urns.

So!

Up they go!

Once up top they'll find several things. Most of those things are skeletons. Lots of skeletons. All loaded down with packs for carrying gold or urns. They seem to be busy swapping out gold for chocolate bars and seem somewhat at a loss regarding what to do with a pair of high school girls. They weren't programmed to deal with this.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Hm. A fourth keystone. But they need five to proceed, and there are two more doors.
Which means there's either going to be more extras or one room will not have a keystone.

Well, they're not a rush so no issue. "Why don't you choose the next door, Khannie?" Jace offers as they return to the feast hall with two doors remaining.. "This might be the last choice we get."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
I dunno, I feel like there needs to be an emotional reaction to the offense to be bullied. Knocking a box off a table isn't bullying the box. :P

Mary hops off the platform, possibly bowling a couple more skeletons over in the process. She looks around at the area they've arrived in. Is it outdoors? Another room? Where's the light coming from? How much gold is here?
These are important questions!