Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Uhuh is about right.

Khannie eats some toasted marshmallows.

Maridia eats a toasted marshmallow.

Maridia tries to eat Khannie's marshmallow as well and gets grappled for her trouble.

But then? That means it's time for sleep. As always, Khannie's illusion peels off as she's dozing. But thankfully that nifty perfume she got for Thanksmas prevents fox smell from being extra smelly! Just curl up in that tent and have a nice pleasant peaceful-

A fox begins screaming in the middle of the night. Hooray fox screaming! It's really loud!

Khannie groans in exasperating, curling all of her tails over her ears until she looks like a great big ball of phantom floof.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Fetchquest]

Payment to get in?

Oh, geez.

Tahara pats down her sides, where her pockets would be, the roaches inside of her scurrying around in a flurry of activity. She has money, of course; people throw away a surprising amount of it every day. But they throw away pocket change, not larger, more accessible denominations.

This could take a while. And the coins themselves are going to be covered in filth and smell worse than they look. Here's hoping the Twi'lek is a patient sort...
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Sadly for Khannie, while Jace and Zebes could probably solve this problem, they are unfortunately too experienced at adventuring for this. If there was the sound of metal on metal they would wake up instantly, but simple wildlife cannot wake them from their practiced slumber even though it's been over ten years since they did this.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

This isn't simple wildlife!

This is VERY LOUD wildlife!

"HWWAAAAAAAI!"

Khannie is really wishing that she didn't know what the fox says right now.

"HWWAAAAAAAI!"

Because it is really obnoxious.

"HWWAAAAAAAI!"

Okay that's enough of that. Khannie unfurls her mess of tails and peers around the darkened tent. Everyone else is snoozing. Apparently she's the only one who gets to deal with this dumb stuff. Rather than unzipping the flap she just phases through the thing to avoid waking anyone up.

She's met outside by cool spring air, the caress of moonlight, soft nocturnal forest sounds, and of course-

"HWWAAAAAAAI!"

Fox stink.

<Where the heck are you at you little jerk,> come some irritated zoroark noises from Khannie. She drops to all fours and begins sniffing. She's going to find that dumb fox and tell him to shut up.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
Vanity
"Bigger," Mary answers and observes the change. It feels weird, different than the way her own magic accomplishes a similar goal. But she's no good at changing to things she hasn't been before. She glances down at her enlarged bust as the doppelgängers explain the cost. "I don't have that much on me," Not that she really needs it; she just needs to hold her "improved" shape long enough to get a good feel for it, then she should be able to change back to it whenever she wants. "Could I pay some now to get it done temporarily and then make it permanent when I come back with the rest of the money?" She could do it, she'd just need to sneak into the palace treasury and grab some gold, which means it would take a couple days. Or she might just let it wear off and use her own shapeshifting in the future.
It's around now that Mary notices she's sensing some disconnected feeling of boredom. Is she hearing their thoughts? That's weird, although maybe it gives her an edge she could push on? She doesn't want to risk it yet.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Khannie is careful to not wake anyone up!
This has the side effect of not waking anyone up, leaving her alone in her quest.
The forest is dark and full of at least one (1) stinky loud animal. Will she continue alone?

It's also probably not too close to their tent, given that Commissar marked a spot or two earlier that day.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest
Vanity

"Not the way this works, I'm afraid. Temporary changes would cost more, since we'd need to keep the link open longer." The doppelganger in the swimsuit then glares at the speaker.
"Don't tell her too much. We've got no competition in what we do, so far." Her bored thoughts were spiked with alarm. "Because of my sibling's slip up, we'll offer a discount of twenty percent. Can you afford that?" She's calmed down now, and licks her lips. She sends an empathic nudge to the third doppelganger- which Mary might pick up- and the dark-skinned duplicate speaks up for the first time (unless Earl's gotten confused about who's said what; not an impossibility with doppelgangers).
"We'll fix the hair and teeth for free as well."

En Route to Wrath

The Twi'lek is patient, and has produced from somewhere a large jar half-filled with cleaning solution. She'll gesture for any coins Tahara pulls out to be put in said jar, though fortunately she won't have to put her own hands in the liquid. I dread to think what bleach- even diluted- would do to the trash witch.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
Vanity

Mary needs a way to search this room for a window. She also wants to get this procedure done or at least kept active long enough to be able to recreate it herself. Fortunately she has the money, but she needs a little more time either way. "I can do that," are there wardrobes and dressers over there? That means clothes. She pushes on the link a little, just sending positive impressions. "If you throw in some help with dressing to take advantage of my 'assets.'" She gestures to emphasize her enlarged chest.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Continue alone?

Now way!

Khannie never goes alone! She's got TWO side kicks after all and one of them is even competent. The the push of a button Sirius is called forth from Khannie's watch! She whispers to her partner in a ghostly voice.

"Hey there some dumb animal yelling in the woods. We've got a mission to find it and chase it off before it wakes everyone up," Khannie confides in her partner.

The night is dark and full of stinky loud animals.

But our heroes are brave! Surely they'll be able to solve this problem so they can actually go to sleep.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

]Fetchquest]

Probably the same thing it'd do to any other organic material, only faster.

Tahara smiles as she counts out the last coin, plopping it into the jar, which by now is at least three-quarters of the way to the brim. "Thanks. You, miss, are a real pearl." She then makes her way into the Wrath room, skipping down the steps two at a time.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest
Vanity

"Of course, though that might depend on situation and your personal modesty. We'll help you choose a look you like, and give you some clothes to start you off. How much skin are you comfortable with?" The three doppelgangers lead Mary over to a walk-in wardrobe, with lots of clothing of various sorts within. There's dresses, suits, tracksuits, gowns, skirts, and all sorts of things. There's a small window in the wardrobe, with frosted glass, but it doesn't look like it opens.

Also, Mary's complaints are fixed at this point, her breasts growing a cupsize or two, her teeth straightening out and her hair gaining finer. She might also develop a bellybutton if she doesn't have one.

Wrath

After three minutes of pulling money out of her trash, the door opens and Tahara can go downstairs.

Wrath is a poorly-lit dungeon, three large cages dominating the space. There's people here, too, chanting and cheering as the fights within continue. The nearest has a very large rhynoc, stripped to the waist and wearing immense boxing gloves, fighting a half-ogre who is slightly smaller. They're battering each other in an unskilled and brutal boxing match. Next closest has a khajiit with claws out scratching and tearing at an elf, whose not quite nimble enough to avoid getting mauled. That fight won't last much longer. The final cage doesn't host a fight, right now; it's getting mopped by a small goblin wearing dungarees and a blood-spattered t-shirt.

Boorab's against the far wall, slumped on a bench and heavily bruised. More bruised than Tahara would expect, given she saw him winning a fight three minutes ago. It seems they don't show the Greed room live footage of the fights, but delay it so the bookies know the outcome.

bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
Vanity
A window! It might be big enough for Mat to squeeze through, Mary will just need a chance to force it. "Not all of it, but what's the point of being pretty if you can't show off?" Mary glances appreciatively down at her chest and adjusts her posture feeling the new weight. She'll pause a moment to look in the mirror and appreciate her new looks before they begin fitting any clothes. She looks good, she just hopes it transfers over to her normal body.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Sirius appears in a whirl of 1's and 0's.
"Yeah sure." Sirius whispers.

Just spooking some random animal? Sure. Simple enough. Sirius goes sniffing around for loud stinky animals.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Earl of Purple wrote: Apr 22, 2023 6:25 pm Fetchquest
Vanity

"Of course, though that might depend on situation and your personal modesty. We'll help you choose a look you like, and give you some clothes to start you off. How much skin are you comfortable with?" The three doppelgangers lead Mary over to a walk-in wardrobe, with lots of clothing of various sorts within. There's dresses, suits, tracksuits, gowns, skirts, and all sorts of things. There's a small window in the wardrobe, with frosted glass, but it doesn't look like it opens.

Also, Mary's complaints are fixed at this point, her breasts growing a cupsize or two, her teeth straightening out and her hair gaining finer. She might also develop a bellybutton if she doesn't have one.

Wrath

After three minutes of pulling money out of her trash, the door opens and Tahara can go downstairs.

Wrath is a poorly-lit dungeon, three large cages dominating the space. There's people here, too, chanting and cheering as the fights within continue. The nearest has a very large rhynoc, stripped to the waist and wearing immense boxing gloves, fighting a half-ogre who is slightly smaller. They're battering each other in an unskilled and brutal boxing match. Next closest has a khajiit with claws out scratching and tearing at an elf, whose not quite nimble enough to avoid getting mauled. That fight won't last much longer. The final cage doesn't host a fight, right now; it's getting mopped by a small goblin wearing dungarees and a blood-spattered t-shirt.

Boorab's against the far wall, slumped on a bench and heavily bruised. More bruised than Tahara would expect, given she saw him winning a fight three minutes ago. It seems they don't show the Greed room live footage of the fights, but delay it so the bookies know the outcome.
[Fetchquest]

Tahra wastes no time sauntering up to Boorab, ignoring any indication that she wasn't allowed that close to him; she's slippery enough to get around bouncers, signs, and ropes. "Hey, squirrel dude." She greets, plopping down on the bench next to him. "Whatcha doing down here? Your sister's been looking for you everywhere, she's worried sick."

She already knows, or at least can guess at, the answer. But how Boorab chooses to respond could tell her everything she wants do know about him and the situation he's in.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest
Vanity

"Exactly!" The doppelgangers, which are still duplicates of Mary, will shed down to underwear, and suggest various outfits using their own bodies. It's just them, and Mary isn't required to take anything off if she doesn't want to- but they'll encourage her to try something on if she likes it when they're wearing it- so they aren't particularly embarrassed. It's not like they're showing their bodies to a complete stranger, after all.
They give good advice, and get quite invested in suggesting clothes, but... more in a 'they enjoy playing dress-up' than anything suggestive. Mary may find that disappointing, since she wanted her body to be more attractive.

Wrath

"They got me boyfriend. I grabbed her sword, was gonna kill 'em till they let him go, but... he's not here, they took it from me n' said that were half me debt paid. Said the fights'd cover the other half. Was goin' well, won three matches... then put me in with an ogre. Felt like an ogre. I woke up here, two minutes ago? Not sure." Boorab's voice is quite thick, from a broken nose and loose teeth, and quite groggy as well. He's still recovering, which isn't necessarily good news with head injuries. Mat's also going to be royally pissed if she can't get that sword back.

Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Why is it always ones and zeros?

Okay, yeah, Khannie knows that's the way code is represented. But that isn't actually what's going on, right? Don't computers use little circuit or something? Like the big circuit breakers they throw in movies? Except tiny. And without actually having parts that move. But that would be harder to represent visually, right?

Anywho!

"I think it's just a regular animal but I'm not sure," Khannie whispers back. "Something's got my fur standing up."

Which is a feeling she really doesn't like that much.

Just look at how floofed up her tails are right now! Obviously that level of floof means something spooky is going on.

As our heroes crest a small hill they spy the source of the screaming.

That isn't a fox at all.

It's...

A shape.

A vague, scarcely glowing shape.

Hovering above a rock.

And screaming.

"HWWAAAAAAAI!"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Khannie, don't be silly. Circuits are ANALOG. Code is DIGITAL. Sirius is a digital monster, not a circuit monster. Gosh.
"So like. Is it a ghost?" Sirius whispers to Khannie.
Because it doesn't look like an animal. But Sirius isn't well versed in fox lore.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Khannie peers at the thing.

Sniffs in its general direction.

Her ghost-hunting senses are definitely telling her that thing is dinner. She had... eaten something alive shortly before they left on the vacation, so she isn't hungry. Not really. Not for that.

"I think so. C'mon, let's see what it's deal is. I mean, if it has a deal I guess," Khannie says as she climbs up over the rise and approaches the orb and-

"Are you a seeker of knowledge?" comes level, emotionless, androgynous voice from the shape of light.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Your voice doesn't sound like your yelling." Sirius says simply before turning back to Khannie.
"Is this going to be one of those heroic trial things? It seems like a weird thing to do at three-twenty-two in the morning." And by yelling.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

That's a good question, Sirius.

Khannie would agree that's an important question to ask.

"This isn't some hero trial thing at three in the morning, is it?" Khannie inquires of the ghost.

And the ghost?

Just...

Sits there.

"Are you a seeker of knowledge?" it repeats with exactly the same monotonous tone and cadence as it did the first time.

That gets a frown out of Khannie. It would appear the ghostly figure isn't going to answer any questions.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"If you say yes it's definitely going to do some magic stuff." Sirius concludes.
"But if you say no it might not leave."

Sirius can't really answer. Everyone knows the human partner is supposed to make the story-branching decisions. Also if he does answer he would say no because he is a seeker of JUSTICE.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

That's a good point. One which Khannie carefully considers. Say no? The ghost might keep screaming. Say yes? Then dumb magic stuff might happen.

But Khannie is, first and foremost, a hero! And being selfless is an important part of being a hero! And sometimes being selfless means taking risks so others don't have to.

"Yeah I'm a seeker of knowledge," Khannie confirms.

At that the light begins to fade.

"To come full circle the beginning must also be the end," says the apparition as it fades into nothing, leaving only a small ornate box behind.

Khannie scowls. That sounds suspiciously like a riddle.
Last edited by Rebonack on Apr 25, 2023 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
The doppelgängers not being interested in that way doesn't really bother Mary. She's not aiming to attract them anyway. Seeing them, as her, as someone else, naked, is too surreal anyway. After a few minutes of watching them try things on, Mary makes a decision. "That dress. And those shoes," The dress is a little black number, skintight with a short skirt and very low neckline, and studded with glittering sequins. The shoes are platform-heeled black boots that rise up to the knees. "Give me a moment to try them on. In private, if you don't mind," She takes a step back towards the back of the closet and the window.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Well, that's settled. Is it saying it wants you to finish it by sitting on this cliff and going HWAA?" Sirius asks as he walks over and tries to nose open the box. His claws aren't great for delicate tasks (yet he can somehow use them to eat just fine).
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[Feline Family Friction]

"Yeah," Blanche answers with another lancing glance back, "It is." As if the statement is a conclusive end to the debate. She scowls down at the chain between Liz's hands more than the girl herself while she considers the request - but in truth, she'd already figured her conclusion before Liz even answered.

A pause and a sigh later, Blanche kneels down in front of Liz - earning another wince at the wound by her hip - and begins to unlock one of the bindings. She doesn't undo it fully, though - instead, she loops around a second pair and chains Liz's left to her own right, keeping her under lock and key while giving her some range to move. "There, kid. Enough of a compromise?"
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

Earl of Purple wrote: Apr 24, 2023 2:27 pm Fetchquest
Wrath

"They got me boyfriend. I grabbed her sword, was gonna kill 'em till they let him go, but... he's not here, they took it from me n' said that were half me debt paid. Said the fights'd cover the other half. Was goin' well, won three matches... then put me in with an ogre. Felt like an ogre. I woke up here, two minutes ago? Not sure." Boorab's voice is quite thick, from a broken nose and loose teeth, and quite groggy as well. He's still recovering, which isn't necessarily good news with head injuries. Mat's also going to be royally pissed if she can't get that sword back.
[Fetchquest]

Yup. Sounds about right.

Tahara shakes her head. "You're not gonna make it through any more fights. And even if you could, it's not a good idea to risk it. Mat's going to need her big brother." She offers him a reassuring pat on the shoulder, hoping her doesn't mind her filth-encrusted hands. "Any idea where they went? Any at all?"

Wait... if they're putting Boorab into the ring to make money, then the most logical place for them to make said money would be the gambling hall, right? Since they know how the fight's going to turn out and such?

"...Gosh dang it to heck, I was just there." Tahara mutters to herself, pinching the bridge of her nose.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"I dunno. That sure sounded like a riddle to me," Khannie says as she decides, just for the heck of it, to try Sirius' suggestion. She climbs up on the rock, takes a deep breath, and screams.

It definitely isn't a little girl scream.

It's that awful ghostly zoroark scream. Exactly the kind of noise that someone wouldn't want to be hearing on a dark and desolate night. At the sound of the rising scream the ground nearby is dusted with creeping spiderwebs of frost as the temperature drops perspicaciously.

...that might have woken someone up.

Probably.

But it adds to the adventure of camping!

Khannie looks a little bashful about doing that. Especially when nothing happens.

But!

What's in the box!

Inside the box are a collection of small tiles that look like they were carved from marble with veins of gold. The veins in each rectangular tile form something suspiciously like symbols on each side of the tile like needlessly abstract dominoes.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"I think you were louder than he was." Sirius observes as he spills the tiles back onto the ground and begins trying to arrange them.
Unfortunately, he has trouble with them.
"Khaaaanie, this is like all those things where they make me tell them what cars are but they KNOW what cars are!" If only they had numbers on them. Sirius knows what numbers are.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"Yeah probably,"
Khannie mutters, rubbing the back of her head awkwardly with a paw and watching as a few lights flick on back at the campground proper.

But!

It was an important experiment, right?

An experiment can be important even if nothing happens. Sometimes nothing happening IS the answer.

And then Sirius dumps out the tiles onto the forest floor! There sure are a bunch of them. "They just look like dominoes to me. Except with weird pictures instead of dots. Maybe they're letters?"

Not letters that Khannie recognizes.

Not letters that the Nexus is being nice enough to translate, either. Maybe they would have to be arranged into words for that to work? Khannie honestly has no idea.

Either way, matching up the symbols like dominoes doesn't result in anything happening; they're just stone tiles. Pretty stone tiles, but still just stone tiles. Maybe they're for a puzzle later?

"C'mon, let's put those dumb things away and get back to sleep. We can figure 'em out when it isn't three in the morning."

Probably a wise course of action.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Gullara wrote: Feb 28, 2023 4:27 am [Hot Spring Aftermath]

"Um, good morning." Sakura glances briefly at Calanthe again. Then she's back to Adir with a concerned look. "You do remember last night, right?" She knows a bit about what alcohol can do, and that would make this so much more awkward.
Adir looks at Sakura, then at Calanthe, then at Sakura again. He points an accusing finger. "You made out with our nanny," he says. He turns his finger on himself. "And then, I made out with our nanny. And then, uh..." Adir rubs his face with one big hand, obviously flushing a bit. "Uh."