Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Rebonack »

[Action Archaeology]

"And I am emperor of the whole world," insists the mummy. Granted, his understanding of what the 'whole world' is might be a little limited. But that doesn't stop him from being an arrogant jerk about it. It would also appear as though he's growing irritated by the fact that our heroes are smashing his skeletons.

Which means, in the end, Mary is right.

"Useless slaves."

At those words all the skeletons collapse into heaps of bones, whatever dark will animating them having been cut. It would be nice if that were the end of it, but no. Of course it isn't. With a sound of rattling the bones come rolling back toward the mummy, heaping around him into a great rattling mound. Which, of course, takes a rough humanoid shape because what conflict like this would be complete without a battle with a bone giant?

Khannie is pretty irritated, as it happens.

She wasn't expecting a fight she was expecting PUZZLES. Maybe they messed something up and fell straight into the boss battle instead of starting where they were supposed to?

[Spring Vacation]

Jace only thinks the havoc dragons are cute and cuddly because he hasn't had one eat all the cookies in his house yet.

"Not that sort of jumping, Sirius, this isn't a platforming level," Khannie retorts.

Though there MIGHT be one of those later.

"You pick up one of these stones, right? And you hop it over another stone. And the stone that gets jumped get removed from the board, see? And you've gotta do this until there's only one stone left. But if you mess up there'll be more than one and we've gotta start over."

An insidiously tricky puzzle!
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
See? Now they're getting somewhere. Mary takes a step back, then changes, her body rippling outward into her powerful draconic form... And then some. She isn't normally this large, matching the giant in size. She charges, intending to meet the giant head-on. Of course, in a conflict of titans like this, Khannie might be at risk of accidentally being squashed underfoot, even despite Mary's warning roar of "KHANNIE, GET DOWN!"
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Truly, harbringers of havoc.
Sirius will attempt to jump a stone. It may take him a while, but he actually may be able to solve the puzzle!
...with some coaching by Khannie. And about ten tries.

Jace lets this be a learning experience for him since they aren't really in a rush.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Action Archaeology]

BONE GIANT VERSUS DRAGON GO!

And no, Khannie isn't that big. Back when she was a magical girl she probably would have had some options here with her BIG PUNCHES but right now not so much. Thankfully due to her ghostly nature she's pretty good at avoiding getting smooshed. After all, she can be insubstantial whenever she needs to provided she KNOWS that she needs to.

That's why Dark attacks work against ghosts, after all.

They don't see 'em coming.

The ghostly zoroark scoots out of the way as the dragon collides with the giant! The giant begins by trying to smash both fists down on Mary's wings where they attack to her back. Definitely not a fun place to get clobbered.

[Spring Break]

It does take a little bit of time and effort and Khannie's laughing along with her best partner buddy as they figure out how to solve the puzzle. But once they've got in the doors beyond will slide open to reveal a chamber full of gold baubles and one very bored (and grumpy) looking fiendish minotaur. He snorts as soon as he spies our heroes.

"The Sphinx of Enigmas continues to dishonor Baphomet, Lord of Beasts, by sending mortal fools to carry her messages?" the bull-headed man bellows, gripping his cruel looking glaive. "Or has she finally come to her senses and accepted my lord's generous offer to enter alliance and become his consort?"

Eeww.

Why would anyone want to be consort of some creepy goat-guy?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Jace folds his arms and does his best to look official. Since he's dressed for adventure and is wearing his proper cloak that's easier than if he was still wearing his usual casual dad clothes.
"Baphomet, Lord of Beasts, continues to dishonor the hospitality of The Sphinx of Eudaemonia by sending messengers armed and armored?" Jace answers impassively.
"Her Hand has decided to send mortals to give Baphomet his answers as he is so far beneath her notice that Her servants have more important things to be doing, let along She." Jace provides a very theatric shrug and a thin smile of false sympathy.
"I am prepared to give Her answer as a formal verbal soliloquy that you can relay, a letter sealed in a wax in your choice of colors, or an elaborate musical number."
"We can also give it as a firebolt through your face. It's a little more blunt than I think She'd want us to give it but well. Not shooting messengers doesn't count as much when demons are involved."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Mary winces at being smashed in the back, but she's made of stern stuff. Getting whacked isn't enough to stop her. She strikes back, tearing at the bone giant with her front talons lit aflame, glowing bright red-orange in the darkness. Her tail whips through Khannie's space in what would be a deadly blow to any living, solid person. She's not paying attention to her surroundings.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Considering how yazata tend to roll wearing a VERY official looking outfit would probably be the surest way to prove that you have nothing to do with them.

So! The minotaur snorts at our heroes.

Because of course he does.

"You DARE belittle the dread King of All Minotaurs!?" the bullman in question yells, tightening his grip on his weapon. "I should rip out your spines and bludgeon you to death with them for your impudence!"

Wow.

Not really great at controlling his temper, is he?

But then again this is probably more or less normal for demons and anything related to them. Not that great at controlling their impulses.

"Y'know I bet your boss sent you 'cuz he doesn't like you,"
Khannie observes. "He's gunna keep being a creeper but he's not gunna waste any of his GOOD minions on it."

That gets a pretty fierce bellowing growl directed at Khannie, who just smiles serenely. Probably not the best plan to antagonize the half-demon minotaur. But Khannie has tangled with stuff WAY worse than some cow guy with wings and a pointy stick.

[Action Archeology]

Burning claws is a pretty great plan.

Though it is worth nothing that bone has a pretty high melting point. It's more likely that it'll burn and just get really brittle before it would straight up melt. Mary would have to get REALLY infernal for that to happen. Claws rake through the giant none the less! It's clear that she isn't getting at anything that's actually important, though. She needs some way to dig through the bones and get at the mummy they're protecting.

The giant, meanwhile, tries to put Mary in a headlock! Very rude.

Also?

Mary's tail goes zipping straight thought Khannie, the zoroark's body swirling as if it were made of nothing but for before quickly forming back together again. "Clobber 'em Mary!" she shouts from the sidelines.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Oh, please. Your boss is the dread king of some minotaurs. If I'm supposed to be afraid of him, wouldn't he be smart enough to figure out that Eudaemonia's not into him?"

[Pssst. Hey buddy.] Zebes whispers into the minotaur's mind, his voice somehow coming out as the messenger's native language.
[What's he got on you, anyway? I think the little lady's right. If Baphomet really had big plans for you he wouldn't be sending you alone to get an answer he's already gotten. Where we live, there's a bunch of minotaurs who haven't even heard of Baphomet. You could ditch him and he'd never even know where you went. Heck I'm pretty sure Eudaemonia would hook you up if you asked her.]
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Mary will oblige with the clobbering even as the skeleton grabs hold and wraps its arms around her neck. She blazes with fire, hotter and brighter. Her natural habitat is in pools and streams of molten rock; she can handle temperatures that can splinter bone and then some. Meanwhile she continues to strike at her for with both forelimbs and now also battering it with her wings. They say a goose can break bones with its wings, but Mary's a dragon, not a goose.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"My lord is the FIRST and GREATEST minotaur! The greatest child of Lamashtu!" the grumpy bull man replies. "Areshkagal's refusal is a mere obstacle to my lord's will. What he desires he will have!"

Wow he's really mad.

Though he flinches a bit at Zebes' mental prodding. Then he snorts and grinds his teeth together.

"Is this your answer, then? Does the Queen of Enigma once again spurn my lord's generous offer?" the minotaur asks.

Sounds like he isn't biting. At least he isn't biting Zebes' suggestion. He IS biting his own teeth, though. Not good for your smile, bullman.

[Action Archeology]

If Mary were a goose then that goose would be cooked!

It takes a great deal of strength, but at her furious thrashings Mary manages to break open the bony armor of the mummy and briefly expose the dry, brittle lord of the pyramid. She'll need to move fast though since his protection is quickly folding back over him.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Well, that just isn't true. Cosmically, Asterius is the first minotaur." Zebes says without elaborating further. "Also he's a goat not a bull what's up with that?"
"From the sound of it, the previous Areshkagal said the same thing. And she's not the one spurning your lord today, is she?" Jace asks simply. "I would advise you and your lord to consider whose wrath you risk by pestering Eudaemonia."

Zebes meanwhile, has taken a cookie stealthily stolen from the buffet table half-wrapped in a napkin and is trying to dangle it near the minotaur's face. It's still slightly warm and smells of chocolate.
[If you're civil you could probably stick around a while before your boss wants you back. Take in what the good guys get to be set up with. Find out what you're missing out ooooon~]
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Mary reaches into the broken chest of the bone giant with her talon to pick out the mummy like removing the rotten undead pit from a gross bony fruit. "EMPEROR OF THE KNOWN WORLD. HAH. YOU REMIND ME OF AIKO. A SELF-AGGRANDIZING LITTLE TYRANT LIVING IN YOUR OWN HEAD." With that said, she'll close her talon with the intent to crush the mummy to a pulp.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"M-my lord's ways are too mysterious and cunning for you to comprehend, mortal!" the minotaur yells at Zebes, somewhat flustered by the goat comment.

"Oh hey! One of our friends asked Baphomet about that and he just said he was going to enjoy killing her!" pipes up Aivu the very big and very great havoc dragon as she cranes her neck around the corner into the room. "But that didn't happen we kicked his butt instead!"

The minotaur looks doubly upset, now.

AIvu appears to have noticed the dangling cookie.

"I want nothing of your frivolous nonsense!"

"I like frivolous nonsense! And cookies!"

Khannie makes a face at the whole display.

"What the heck is your PROBLEM? Why are you such a jerk? Obviously your boss doesn't care about you even a LITTLE. Why would you want to work for someone like that?"

[Action Archeology]

Mush.

That was pretty anticlimactic.

But that's often how actual fights are.

Lots of jockeying for position and then just... over.

The bones all clatter to the ground and the oppressive air of malign will burns off like fog under the heat of the sun. Khannie experimentally tries putting her human girl illusion back on and!

Success!

Sweet.

"Sorry Mary," Khannie calls out to her friend. "I shoulda expected there would be an evil mummy or something down here. Ancient ruins have always got stuff like that."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"How about this, buddy? A bet." Zebes continues to wave the cookie at him.
"Eat the cookie. If you don't like it, leave and give Baphomet the answer he knew was coming before he sent you. But if you do like it - and you have to be honest - you have to stay here as a guest of Elysium and enjoy their hospitality. And of course, think about what I said."
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

Earl of Purple wrote: May 27, 2023 1:31 pm The waiter is a bit annoyed that he's so blatantly ignored, but... well, at least she's not shouting at him. Mat follows, which the waiter thinks is a bit odd; but if Mat weren't old enough to be here the bouncer wouldn't have let her in, would he?

"You don't wanna talk to me boss. Trust me. I don't wanna talk to me boss, and he pays me wages. Besides, he ain't here. He's at aitch queue. I'm not tellin' you where it is, either. He'd eat you up and spit out your bones." The dwarf pauses, and looks at Tahara again. "Metaphorically speakin', I mean. I gotta go. Bye." The dwarf will turn and walk away, and whilst Tahara could follow she might be distracted as Mat says something first.
"Who was that dweeb? Do you know where Boorab is?" The squirrel-girl is looking around rather nervously, as she's just put something in her pocket. If she was paying attention, Mary or Tahara may have seen the squirrel swipe a small bag from a table they passed, which what she's just concealed. Nobody seems to have noticed the bag's absence yet.
[Fetchquest]

"I do. And I'm this close to getting him out of here." Tahara confirms, holding up her fingers to emphasize the lack of distance. "...Or at least I would be, if I could get an audience with the head honcho here." She gestures up at the TV screens. "Theoretically, that's a situation that could resolve itself, but I'd rather not leave it at that. I've already made arrangements to get your sword back, too, so as long as we don't rock the boat any further, things... should work out fine, more or less."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Mary is still quite big. "It's fine, Khannie. I squished him." She looks down. "Wow, you're tiny. I had no idea I could get this big. I wonder if this is even the limit?" She looks around. "I don't think I could fit through the door. Let me..." She shrinks.
Maybe too much. Her head now sits just below Khannie's knee height She looks up. "Um... Oops." She hasn't practiced changing size much. Technically it's not even something Sekhmet taught her yet. She's figuring things out on her own.

Fetchquest
"That's great!" is all Mary has to say, but it feels awkward. She did a bunch of extraneous stuff to get Mat into the building, and even though it was something she wanted to do anyway, it turns out it was pretty much unnecessary? Wait. "Why can't you see the boss?" Maybe Mary can think of a way in? That would make her presence more worthwhile.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

The minotaur SNATCHES the cookie from Zebes very rudely.

"I will eat it and I will HATE it just like I HATE you!"

And then he eats it.

And his expression... wavers a bit.

"I will deliver your disrespectful message to my lord. I hope you all die in agony and are eaten by worms."

And then? He turns to the portal at the far end of the room and departs.

"Wow what a grump!" Aivu says.
"Yeah! A grump! And a waste of a cookie!" Maridia adds.
"Don't say that tiny dragon those cookies were made with love and liberty! The minotaur might not have changed his mind right away but maybe he'll think about it and decide to be good later!"

Khannie is doing her best not to bust up laughing here. "Let's go check out next floor!"

[Action Archeology]

"No kidding," Khannie retorts. "You smooshed him like a bug."

Very smooshed.

"This probably isn't the BEST spot to big figuring out how big you can get, yeah. But maybe after we're done in here?" Khannie reasons. Aaaand now Mary is tiny. Like. Dog sized. Ish. She's doing her best not to laugh here. Seems like that's happening quite a bit lately. "Let's check things out down here before we keep going. I think it's mostly just chocolate?"

Sure looks like it's mostly chocolate.

Coco beans and beans being processed to make chocolate. There is just TONS of it down here. What were they even doing with it all, anyway?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"But you didn't tell us what you thought! Remember next time Baphomet wastes your time sending you back that they're free!" Zebes jibes at the fleeing minotaur.
Poor bull-demon-man, unable to accept his love of the cookie. Maybe he will internalize it some day.

"Anyway, yes, let's go check out the second floor."
And then Jace will go head to the big doors (with requisite puzzle-turning) to head upstairs. He would offer to take Khannie's hand but he remembers that she is too old for that.
Ironsmith

Post by Ironsmith »

[Fetchquest]

"Dunno. Other than that I apparently don't want to see him." Tahara shrugs. "I get the impression the people around here think of him as a real scary dude. Which isn't surprising, since he's probably a crime boss or works for one. I'm also guessing they're more afraid of being subject to an unfavorable referral than they are for my sake, but that might just be me."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Don't laugh, Khannie. This is serious. Mary is glaring at you because she can tell you're on the verge of laughing. The tiny dragon sighs and reverts to succubus form. She examines the chocolate vats. They're usually close to the same height, but it looks like Mary has an inch or two on Khannie now, probably overcompensating for her recent tiny mistake. "Why would a mummy and a bunch of skeletons need chocolate?" It's not like they need to eat.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

The Abyss encourages the worst kind of freedom; the freedom to destroy yourself, everything you love, and others. It is slavery of the worst kind. And what could be a greater manifestation of malign freedom than destroying the joy of eating warm fresh chocolate chip cookies?

Anywho!

Up the stairs!

Khannie notices the twitch from her dad's hand and she gives him a hug instead, ascending the stairs with her hand on his shoulder.

At the top of the stairs our heroes will find a great round dais ringed with symbols that look suspiciously like some of the ones they've found thus far, though several appear to be new. There are also SIX slots with greet light flowing up out of them to affix the larger green keystones. Our heroes haven't found that many of them just yet, though. Three more flights of stairs descend from the platform into the darkness. Coming in from the west, there's an eastern, northern, and southern stairway.

From the east come flickering lights and the sound of soft music slowly building in excitement and whimsy. Music of yearning and wonder; music of a starward gaze.

From the south comes the sound of sand falling on sand, like a great hourglass of incomprehensible size.

From the north sweet scents and laughter waft through the air.

[Action Archeology]

Khannie has her lips pressed tight together in a smile.

Definitely the look of someone trying not to laugh.

Thankfully the subject changes quickly.

"Well, from what I read the people who used to live here used coco beans as money," Khannie replies. "Like, instead of copper or silver or gold coins or whatever? They used coco beans. The beans last a long time and everyone likes chocolate so I guess that makes sense, right?"

Maybe?

"So a giant heap of beans would be... like... basically a great big pit full of money. Just a different sorta money. No idea why they were making it into chocolate stuff, though?"

That seems like a mystery that might be worth solving.

As our heroes search they'll find more headless skeletons that are pouring out molten chocolate into cooling plates for the purpose of...

It looks an awful lot like they're making chocolate bars.

Like some kind of EXTRA evil chocolate factory.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Given the choice of the three, Jace and Zebes choose the east path. Why?
Because the north path smells like sweets and they should wait a little closer to lunch before they start eating again since they were picking at the banquet a little.
Sometimes you just have to pick directions that way.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
"That's weird," Why would you use beans as money? They pass by the cooling plates. "Ew. I thought these guys would stop when their mummy died." That would've been nice. "I don't think they're making chocolate to give to children on Spooktober," she comments. Maybe they are? They are spooky scary skeletons after all. "Let's see if we can find what they're doing with all these." Mary follows the chocolate assembly line to see what happens.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Down the stairs again!

But a different flight of stairs this time.

The source of the flickering lights becomes clear in a hurry. Our heroes find themselves in another room with a pillar attached to four blue keystone sockets! Unfortunately they only have ONE blue keystone right now. Fortunately the room is really neat! Aside from the sealed doors to the north and south and the keystone pillar there's a large group of yazata and a number of mortals playing music, singing, dancing, and releasing paper lanterns to allow them to drift about the room. It's all quite lively. No food this time, but there ARE several pools and a table filled with supplies for making the paper lanterns. Also a big rack for holding various musical instruments.

There really isn't any stage. Just a big rough circle of people, some dancing and some playing music and some singing and some doing all of those things at once! Floating ABOVE the ring is a big stormy locking cloud that's crackling with lighting, the rumblings of which provide musical percussion for the song. And dancing ON TOP of the cloud are a motley assortment ugallu yazata each with a unique blend of eagle, leonine, and human features.

One of the ugallu, smaller than the rest and looking suspiciously like a griffin cub with human hands, peers over the edge of the cloud at our heroes and waves. "Hello!" he calls down with a voice vibrating with youthful enthusiasm. "You made it! You're half way to the top! There's another blue keystone hidden in here somewhere but you'll have to come back to this room last once you've checked the other ones."

"Hi! Thanks!" Khannie calls back. "How come you sound like a kid? None of the other angel people do."

"Haha, well, that's kind of a sad story! But a happy one, too! Sometimes bad things happen to kids in the mortal world. And we yazata are made from the souls that are sent here. Souls that are similar come together and a yazata is born!"

Khannie wrinkles her nose at that. "So, what, you're like a buncha different kids all mashed together?"

The ugallu sticks his tongue out at Khannie. "Don't make it sound so gross! I'm not mashed together. That's just how the afterlife works!"

[Action Archeology]

It IS pretty weird. But probably not the weirdest.

"Well, people like chocolate. And the beans are coin-sized anyway and last a long time," Khannie reasons. "It isn't any weirder than using precious metals. People used silver and gold coins mostly just 'cuz they don't rust and they're shiny."

However!

"Yeah I wasn't expecting the skeletons to still be going. I guess whatever magic is making 'em move is self-sustaining?"

Our heroes continue on down the assembly line and soon they'll find skeletons wrapping chocolate bars in gold foil.

Not like...

Fake gold foil like on those coin candies.

ACTUAL gold foil. A large table nearby features skeletons using stone tools to hammer gold into incredibly thin sheets.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Jace makes a note to make a lantern with Khannie before they finish this room properly.
"Well, thanks for the hint. We'll have to come back, then. But I think we'll be seeing you again soon."
Zebes puts their single keystone in one of the slots for the heck of it.

If the ugallu doesn't pull them into a conversation they'll check the sweet-smelling room next.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest

"He said the boss was in HQ, right? Any idea where that might be? I don't care if he's the Fairy Godfather himself, I'll kick his arse twelve ways to Sunday." Mat pounds her fist into her hand. Boorab said his boyfriend wasn't here, so he might be there. "He won't be the Fairy Godfather, though. There's no sprites here, unless they're really good at hiding." Sprites aren't better at hiding than cockroaches, so Tahara should be aware that it's unlikely there's any sprites present in the building- she's not found any, at least, and a query into the swarm will reveal that.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Making lanterns is fun!

Also fun?

Going on adventures.

"See you later!"

Khannie waves goodby to the griffkid and follows her dad off to the next step of the puzzles. To the northern stairs! Down our heroes go, warm heat and sweet scents wafting up toward our heroes. Soon they'll find themselves in a HUGE hollow pillar of a room with a big glowing stone rising up the center. Heat radiates from the pillar and countless ovens have been built across its face. Groups of yazata are busy baking all sorts of wonderful smelling foods while ethereal butterflies of all colors dance around around wildly. Every now and again a swarm of butterflies will descend upon some tasty looking sweets and begin nibbling at them, only to MERGE together into a new yazata!

Khannie blinks at the display. "So, wait, are the little butterflies the souls of people who come here after they die?"

Aside from all the ovens there's a lower platform where two keystones wait inside sealed containers, one blue and one green. Also on that platform? All sorts of ingredients for making delicious baked goods!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"Probably. It's a very common visual metaphor. I was not aware they formed azatas by being bribed with muffins, though."

Jace, however, seems more worried.
"This might pose more of a problem." Because ovens-!
Are not pans. Which is how Jace makes most of his food. More importantly, they are definitely how he makes everything sweet that he knows how to make. Which are crepes and pancakes. And waffles but that's using a dedicated iron that you get for that one task so it's basically cheating.
"So uh...let's just check if..." Jace checks the table for a recipe book. Because baked goods when you don't know the proportions right is really, REALLY hard.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"The muffins DO smell really good, though," Khannie replies thoughtfully. "Maybe they don't HAVE to be bribed. Maybe this is just a nice place for the souls to congregate?"

It's all very strange to Khannie. The idea that the outsiders don't correspond to any one soul is especially weird. It's less that any individual person has an afterlife and more like... their virtues live on? Sooort of?

Jace will find that there are no recipe books.

Why would he expect yazata to engage in anything as ordered as recipes? They just go with what feels right! Which makes it hard when you don't know much about baking.

"Is something wrong?" Khannie asks.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

"The only sweet thing I can make from scratch is pancakes. I don't know any pastry recipes, let alone how to make them." he glances at Zebes, who shrugs.
"I watched someone make bread once. That's about it."
"And we don't have internet connection..." Sirius reminds them.