Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

For free floating plots that wish to be separated from specific locales.
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Re: Plots: Serious, silly, random, oh my!

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Eudaemonia should use her divine position to find some nice god who can adopt all those poor orphaned minotaurs and teach them about love, kindness, and not hitting people with axes.
"The azata by the feast did say there was at least one keystone in the basement." He had gotten the implication there was just one, though. So there might still be a keystone hidden on their current level...

Still, down the stairs they go. Khannie's lantern will probably be useful here.
"Well, nothing in here so far. Maybe it's hidden in the sand?"
If it is they have the almighty power of A DOG to help search.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Well there WAS an effort to convince them that being kind would be better but they seemed oddly stubborn about the whole thing.

Who could say no to a sweet, kind, selfless elf girl with a pet raven?

Minotaurs, apparently. That's who.

"Well it must be hidden down here somewhere, then," Khannie reasons as she begins crossing through the sand, sand that glistens with little pulses of silver light with each step.

The chamber appear to be divided up with a wall partitioning the section our heroes are in from another section nearby. At the base of the gentle slope there's a passage our heroes could move through a large burning brazer casting dancing light across the room. Silver stars have been fastened to the deep blue walls of the basement, furthering the feeling of walking through the night sky.

Also? The sand shifts every now and again.

There's definitely something moving around under the sand.

Maybe it could be...

Danger!

But probably not. This place is pretty distinctly not-dangerous and there's no way our heroes are going to have to worry about-

"AAAAAAAAH HUUNDAAAAAH!" bellows a huge vaguely scarab beetle-like yazata that suddenly bursts from the sand, beating his chest with two of his legs. It isn't clear whether he's wearing armor made of iridescent blue beetle shell or if that's just his armor, but he looks pretty serious! "NOBLE HEROES! ON YOUR QUEST THROUGH THE PYRAMID OF EUDAEMONIA YOUR WITS HAVE BEEN TESTED BY THE PUZZLES! BUT NOW YOU MUST TEST YOUR VALOR IN A MATCH OF MIGHT AGAINST THE GREAT WRESTLER SKARAVAIOS OF HELIOPOLIS!"

Oh.

Okay. Well, looks like there is going to be a fight.

Or maybe a wrestling match?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Jace stands there, blinking. Slowly, slowly, he turns his head towards his familiar.
"...what? Oh fine. I'll be Varg today, O Master Mine."

Zebes hops off Jace's shoulder and swells to his full Dragonite shape. He's probably a bit more round than the azata but is no less mighty!
"Drago!"

"We accept your challenge, Skaravaios. Your opponent today shall be the great dragon Zebestrius!"
Oh he gets a death glare for that one.
"...what do you do if a group comes that's all skinny mages like me? I couldn't throw lightning at you."
That would just be rude.
Ironsmith
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Ironsmith »

[Fetchquest]

"Excuse me, sir?" Tahara saunters up closer to the dwarf and flashes him a grin. "Hi. I'm a friend of Boorab's. I heard he owed you guys some money and I was wanting to talk to someone about paying it off. Any way you could point me in the right direction?"

Hey, if it works once...
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Probably?

Have you ever SEEN a scarab before, Zebes?

Skaravaios is VERY round. He isn't one of those chiseled classical statue looking guys. He's like one of those huge strong-man wrestler types while also being pretty beetle-y.

"I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE, OH DRAGON OF ROUNDNESS! OUR GRAPPLINGS SHALL SHAKE THE PILLARS OF THE HEAVENS!" the yazata bellows, full of mirth and might. But then Jace asks an important question! "YOUR ANSWER, OH TINY AND PUNY MAGAS, IS THAT MY TEST IS A TEST OF VALOR! THOUGH ONE MAY BE FRAIL IN BODY THEIR VIRTUE CAN STILL BE GREAT! NOW! HAVE AT YOU!"

And then Skarvaraios surges forward to grab Zebes!

"Get him uncle Zebes!" Khannie cheers from the sidelines.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Jace nods sagely.
He probably would not have wrestled that beetle if Zebes wasn’t there.

Zebes doesn’t particularly like his ROUNDNESS being called out but at least it’s a compliment ish thing here?
Zebes actually has only a little experience with this.
His first move is to go low, trying to grab his opponent’s legs for a simple means of knocking him over.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

Honestly?

Khannie probably could have gone for it. Her Ghost/Normal typing makes her pretty adept at bamboozling LOUD WRESTLERS.

Anyway! Fight fight fight! Zebes grabs low! Skaravarios grabs high! Normally this would be really bad for the beetle battler since Zebes has more leverage. BUT IT WAS ALL A RUSE! Two more arms GRIP THE SAND (somehow), bracing the armored warrior as he aims to life Zebes right off his feet and suplex him into the ground!

But Zebes is FLYING TYPE! Will that give him the advantage he needs to overcome this FIGHTING MOVE!?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

You can try to grab Zebes. But there is a PROBLEM with that!
Zebes has wings. Which are kind of small for his body mass but very much still there and somehow functional!

Zebes flexes his definitely grand and mighty wings and…
Kind of slaps the azatas arms with them?
They’re really not that big but somehow he is able to use WING ATTACK!
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Fetchquest
"Here to meet someone, actually," Mary replies, looking past the waiter to see if she can find Tahara or Boorab. That's more important than whether or not this guy seems interested in her (although she does want confirmation that the changes made her more attractive).
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

You know what's a big problem when you're Bug/Fighting?

Getting thwapped with Flying attacks, that's what! The wrestler recoils, his grip briefly loosening and giving Zebes and opening!

Go Zebes go! You can win!

[Action Archeology!]

Oh yeah this is it! All sorts of cool action archeology going on. If Khannie's favorite thing is super hero stuff then action archeology is probably number two on that list. I mean, sure, you could call it tomb robbing or maybe adventuring if you want to be a little more charitable, but Khannie really loves the name action archeology.

It's like Indiana Jones!

Who doesn't like Indiana Jones?

No one worth mentioning, that's who.

And so a faewild dragon with a set of packs strapped to her underside wings her way over the tangle of overgrown jungle below, sunlight glittering off the river snaking through the forest and her prismatic wing scales alike. Flying is, as always, really cool. Fortuna's prank might have been totally dumb BUT it worked, right? It made it easier to get the magical girl curse broken AND it didn't stick.

So...

Maybe she owes Fortuna for helping her.

Just a little.

Khannie's eyes rove over the forest below. The ruins she's looking for are totally covered in dense jungle vegetation, but she has tools at her disposal! Mostly GPS to help her home in on a patch of mounds that are actually the remains of a lost city.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Zebes plants a foot forward mightily, and SPINS (it's a good trick).
Swinging his tail, Zebes slams towards his opponent with the might of the ocean with a great AQUA TAIL!

...he knows other moves but they're Special moves and that just seems like cheating in a fair wrestling match.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Mary doesn't like Indiana Jones. She hasn't seen it.
The obsidian hellfire dragon has her own set of bags but she's not really running the show here.
She agrees on one thing: flying is cool. Definitely worth being a big clumsy lizard to see the world from above on occasion (not that Mary doesn't have wings in her humanoid shape too).
"Is this the spot?" She's not a practiced Action Archaeologist, she doesn't know how to identify ruins from the air. And she's not holding the GPS.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

And thus the great beetle warrior is laid low! Kapow!

Just like a child standing in the surf getting clobbered by a wave sneaking up behind them.

Propping himself up on two arms, the scarab claps with the other pair heartily. "YES! I CAN FEEL YOUR VALOR AND GREAT HEART IN THE FEROCITY AND MIGHT OF YOUR ATTACKS! YOU ARE TRULY A BEAST OF GREAT VIRTUE AND THUS WORTHY OF CONTINUING!"

Khannie raises an eyebrow here.

Just a bit.

"That seemed like a pretty quick spar to me. Is that really all we've gotta do?" she asks curiously.

"HAHA! CHILD, THIS IS NOT A TEST OF MARTIAL PROWESS ELSE MANY WOULD FALL BEFORE MY STRENGTH! IT IS A TEST OF THE PURITY OF YOUR VALOR AND NOT STRENGTH OF ARMS ALONE!"

That's...

Something?

Maybe?

It sounds like the sort of stuff Soup talks about back at school.

[Action Archaeology]

Khannie is pretty sure there's a law against that.

Like.

It's a crime of some kind for parents to deprive their children of Indiana Jones.

But she doesn't know that Mary hasn't seen it so she won't be accusing Sekhmet of being a heinous criminal.

"Yeah it's that one there," Khannie says, pointing down at a cluster of vegetation covered hills that look exactly like all the OTHER clusters of vegetation covered hills all over the place. "It's gunna be nearly impossible to land right on top of it 'cuz of how dense the trees are. SO we're gunna land there by the river and then walk the rest of the way. You might wanna stay in dragon mode 'cuz of all the bugs otherwise they'll nibble the heck outta you."

One of the major upsides to being a dragon?

Annoying biting insects have a whole lot of trouble attacking you.

Khannie lands at the edge of the river on a wide sandy bank, startling a collection of caimans that were busy sunning themselves. Their sudden arrival ALSO catches the attention of a pack of giant otters that begin chirping at them curiously.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

With a salute, Zebes poofs back into his tiny form.
"Well, thanks buddy. We just keep going straight? Sounds real good. You're pretty cool, too. Tell us if you ever visit a gym we can get to without crossing planes."
He's mostly being polite as he's fairly sure the celestials don't attend gyms in entirely different planes.

But still! they have earned the right to go ONWARDS!
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Sekhmet hasn't seen it either. She doesn't know it's a thing Mary could see.
Mary descends to the indicated river and lands in the water with a splash and a hiss of steam, further scattering the caimans. She can see enough mosquitoes already to agree with Khannie's suggestion and remain in dragon shape. "So what is this place?" Obviously she's not asking for an answer like "a ruin full of treasure." She assumes Khannie knows a bit of the history.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"Indeed I shall, tiny champion! I wish you well on your journey as you meditate upon the Riddle of Eudaemonia!" the yazata thunders back. Zebes should probably keep in mind that the yazata's idea of what a gymnasium is happens to be quite different from the modern one. Namely, a place where naked dudes wrestle with each other.

Thus our heroes move on! "That guy was pretty funny. And loud," Khannie comments as they round the corner. "But fun. Everyone here seems really happy."

And isn't that how it should be?

Around the bend our heroes will find a raised platform with stairs leading up to a burning brazer illuminating another symbol and inscription. This time around it looks like a capital I with an extra crossbar in the middle. The inscription reads-
I am the four cardinal virtues.
Khannie wrinkles her nose at that. "So what are those?" she asks as she peers up at the symbol.

There's another open archway to the south leading away, the sound of soft music gently drifting through the air.

[Action Archaeology]

That's just terrible.

Khannie has been very fortunate to have an uncle who loves her and shows her all the cool popular culture things.

That allows Khannie to be hip and in the know!

"I dunno the name of it," Khannie replies as she begins shouldering through the underbrush toward the ruins. The plants are thick but dragons are thick skinned and strong. Great for mowing their way through the forest. Khannie is quite a bit smaller than Mary, though, and her route involves a bit more weaving and slipping through the growth rather than just bulldozing it.

Honestly Kol would be really handy here. Like a snowplow for plants.

"But all this jungle? It used to be corn fields a long time ago. But the people here farmed so much that it wore out the dirt and stuff wasn't growing as well anymore. They tried sacrificing a buncha people to make it grow better but that didn't work. Eventually the crops failed and the civilization collapsed," Khannie recounts. She had read a bit about the site ahead of time. The book she was using as her reference hadn't managed to get inside the pyramids, but Khannie knows some tricks to help there!
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Being fair, that is what happened just now.
"UH. Temperance, justice, wisdom, and...something? Patience probably? Honestly that's more of an angel thing than an azata thing." Zebes explains, a little confused by that one.

"Well, write it down and we'll keep it for later. We might need all these symbols when one of the final puzzles powers up." Jace suggests.
With nothing else here it's on to the next room! Some sort of musical puzzle, he wonders?
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Mary, being roughly horse-sized, just flattens the thick growth in her way, as much as she can. Sometimes she has to squeeze between larger trees. Stealth is not especially possible for her in dragon-shape, unless swimming (she's well adapted to swimming in lava specifically). She could just burn it down, but that seems wrong.
"Gross." Human sacrifice is gross. "It's like what mum said used to happen with her mum. She was worshipped as a fertility goddess sometimes."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

It is what just happened, yes. Does a dragonite count as a dude?

Maybe for the purposes of that battle that just happened we'll let it slide.

"Well... virtues are just ANY good value, right? So if you ask an angel what the most important virtues are they're gunna say something different than a yazata, right?" Khannie reasons. Either way, she notes that down too. No doubt each of these inscriptions will be getting used for a later puzzle.

But yes! Next room!

Our heroes find two things in the next room.

First?

A flight of stairs leading back up to the first floor of the pyramid.

Second?

A table with a collection of musical instruments stands before our heroes.

And finally? Music streams, seemingly from nowhere.

[Action Archaeology]

Burning everything down would be surprisingly difficult; the forest is quite damp. And wet everything really doesn't burn that well.

"Definitely gross," Khannie agrees. "People get desperate sometimes. I think you know how it goes. And when people get desperate they do dumb stuff."

Like sacrificing thousands of people every day.

They're getting closer. Here and there bits of carved limestone heavy with pictograms and images.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Anyone is a dude if you say it the right way.
”Well, only two of us. Hey. Hey Jace. Wouldn’t it be funny if we summoned Exar?”
”Zebes do not summon that merry librarian this place would actually kill him.”
”Oh fine we’ll just use the fake one.”

Jace takes one of the stringed instruments from the table, while Zebes takes his Kobold form to use one of the flutes. They need a moment to tune and study the background music, but give them a minute…
”One, two three…
Val
larm’s two-man band!”

Several phantom instruments flare to life to fill in the (many) gaps left by the two parts being played. It’s not the best cover but luckily the melody is fairly simple. They would of course do better at copying the song in question if they had more time to practice and to get a real band. The spell can’t emulate a group of true musicians plying their craft. But it does well enough. And it’s showy.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Mary nods sadly. "I know." She was one of those desperate people once, although she'd like to believe she wouldn't stoop to human sacrifice.

"Look, writing!" Mary points it out. She squints at the pictograms. She's pretty sure between her demon magic and the Nexus' weirdness she should be able to read and speak every language, but she's not especially literate, so she might only pick up snatches. "Can you read it?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"Who's Exar?" Khannie asks, a little concerned over how and why this place would kill a librarian.

Anywho!

As Jace and Zebes play the sound of Starward Gaze, the song of Elysium, fills the room. A song of quiet beauty and wonder that slowly builds into an anthem of grand adventure. While the notes of the melody drifts through the air Khannie can't help but hum along as ethereal butterflies manifest from nowhere, dancing around our heroes before coalescing into another keystone.

Well.

That was definitely less fighty than having to throw down with the beetle guy.

[Action Archaeology]

Yeah.

One can hope that one wouldn't walk those dark paths.

But by grace so go I.

"Nah I can't read it,"
Khannie admits. "BUT! I've been working on a wizard spell! One that lets you read anything so long as it's actually a language and not just nonsense."

She scrapes away some of the moss to expose the rest of the writing and casts her spell, a look of excitement and eager anticipation on her face!

...which quickly fades.

"...oh. It's... uh... it's talking about how the army raided some village and took five hundred people to sacrifice them."

Horrible.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Jace and Zebes give only slightly over exaggerated bows to nobody in particular.
”And they told me making a custom spell for this was a waste.”
Being fair, most of the heavy lifting comes from Zebes in that spell. He’s better at illusions and such than Jace is. ”Your spell is probably more useful though.” he admits.
”Exar is The Half Notes’ tenor saxophone player. You’ve seen him. Sheep horns, wings? He’s an imp. Not the evil kind, but still would not sit well in a chaotic place like this.”
Now they go to install the third keystone. Hopefully it powers something up so they can find where to go for the last one.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

[Feline Family Friction]

To be fair, Blanche is being pretty lenient here! She's chained two handcuffs together, which is more than one handcuff of distance! Very merciful. Though it does mean Blanche has to be careful how she positions her arm. And this close, Liz can probably catch a whiff of gunpowder residue and fresh blood form her wound.

"Yeah - we need to know what info they've got their hands on," Blanche answers, studying the screen. "Be great too if you could somehow alter information on the database's end, maybe redirect their target away from any potential ambush site." After a beat, she looks back towards Liz a little slyly. "And if you continue to cooperate, I might even let you have a copy of those incriminating records you were grabbing."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Murkus
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Murkus »

Gullara wrote: May 07, 2023 7:37 pm [Hot Spring Aftermath]

"Um, I'm not sure? I guess?" It's not as though Sakura really thought her impulsive feelings would ever end up here. It's hard to say that this was something she specifically wanted. "I mean... As long as no one has any hurt feelings, it was, um, nice?" She can't help but be a little uncertain. This was all very sudden.
[Hot Spring Aftermath]

Adir scratches his head. Oh dear. He might have stronger feelings about this than Sakura does, at the moment, but... Is that just his libido talking? It was difficult to say. At least he doesn't have to worry about hurt feelings - he encouraged the whole damn thing. At least in that moment. But now that it's the morning after... can he be sure he would have done the same thing sober? Finally he decides, for both their sakes, "Maybe it's a little early in the morning for serious reflection, huh?" He glances down at the rabbit again. The cute, peacefully sleeping rabbit. The still very nude rabbit. Dangit. "...Do we wake her up, you think?"
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Fetchquest

Well, Tahara's heading into the middle of the betting crowd around the televisions, though those that notice her are moving away from her.

"And what gambling are they interested in so I can point you in the right direction?" Not the first time someone uses Greed as a meeting place, though usually they agree to meet at, for example, the roulette tables so they can gamble together.

"He's settlin' it, miss. All on his lonesome. Paid off three quarters of it already, just needs t' win two more fights. Unless he's gettin' healin', that'll cost him an' put him back down." The dwarf glowers at Tahara, backing up slightly. He's shorter than she is, shorter than many dwarfs one sees in the Nexus, but very dwarfy, with a long brown beard and wearing chainmail, leather, and a horned helmet, an axe at his waist opposite what looks like a baguette, smeared at one end with a bit of blood.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Action Archaeology
Mary also looks crestfallen. "Are you sure we should loot this place and not just burn it down?" It seems bad. She needs treasure, but does it have to be this treasure?

Either way, they should move on.

Fetchquest
"Nevermind, I see her," Mary steps past the waiter and beckons Mat to follow. Unless stopped, she'll head directly for Tahara.
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Hot Spring Aftermath]

Sakura nods her agreement, then looks at Calanthe. Her face suddenly burns with self conscious realization that Calanthe might wake up with all of them naked. Not that she has a single prudish bone in her body, but it feels quite different in this moment. "Um, let me get a robe on first." She nudges at Adir to give her space to scoot off the bed past him.
~Images by Soushiyo
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Spring Vacation]

"Custom spells are NEVER a waste!" Khannie replies almost indignantly. "How would anyone have learned ANY spells if there wasn't someone to make 'em up?"

Most of the spells were just made up by the first Magic Users, after all. Especially the ones named after particular magic users. That's what the rules for creating your own spells are for, after all. Why use the boring spells in some book somewhere when you can just research your OWN spells like a COOL wizard?

But anyway. Imp! Has Khannie seen him? Maybe?

Devils and things still kinda weird Khannie out. Being around Mary so much is a reminder of just how unusual Mary and her mom are compared to other devils. But maybe that's just how the Nexus is? It seems really good at attracting the exceptions to the rules.

Anyway! The path forward is still open; a flight of stairs leading up to the first floor of the pyramid. Also? There's another symbol and inscription pair on the wall here. An image that looks kind of like a horseshoe? Below it says.
I am the six cosmic values.

[Adventure Archeology]

"Basically all the old empires were fulla jerks and awful people," Khannie points out as she brushes past the stray pillars and marker stones toward the city proper. "That doesn't mean we should destroy their stuff instead of learning about it. Sometimes you learn rotten stuff but you learn about how people lived and what was important to them, too. All this stuff is important. Even the bad stuff."

Soon our heroes approach the cluster of mounds Khannie was interested in. Clearing away the clinging vegetation, Khannie reveals a stone doorway sealed with a stone slab. It's all richly carved, just like everything else, depicting... not great... scenes. It looks like they were big fans of removing the hearts from people while they were still alive. There are some signs that someone tried to get in here, but they had no luck. The rock is an odd golden brown stone that has almost a metallic sheen on it. Nearby are the remains of a few broken tools from the last person trying and failing to crack the slab to get past it.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Spring Vacation

Being fair, Jace and Zebes are a sorcerer and a bard. Their known spells are at a serious premium. Especially when both of them need to know it.
”One, four, six. Think it’s a code? Could be since we still have a few puzzles left.”
Or they form one big riddle together. But that doesn’t make sense. One thing can’t be four and six things and Joy at the same time.

Anyway, the trio (plus some) return to the first floor.
If the stairs spit them out at the entrance hall again they will insert the third keystone. Otherwise they will simply advance to the next challenge!